PDA

View Full Version : HBII pickup suggestions

mcbprs
06-14-2012, 03:39 AM
Hi guys I am after some advice, despite trying to love my HBII it always seemed somewhat blah compared to my other PRSi (its a piezo version) in the end I decided to try a set of RPs I had lying arround (sound great in my ME1s) seem decidedly ordinary in my HBII, so my question is what do yo find works in HBII for you. I would like to try 5x range pickups but the only ones I have are in my PS SC-58 and I am loath to mess with it and 5x pickups for sale are like hens teeth over here in the UK so any ideas?

Danerada
06-14-2012, 01:23 PM
I have a HBII /piezo. I thought the same thing about the archtop pickups in mine. Then I put a boost pedal inthe signal chain and really brought the pickups to life. There are certain amps I can play the HBII through and she sounds great without the boost and there are some that sound blah. The HBII is a great sounding guitar, but she needs the right amp and may need a boost pedal.

Another thing I find is that when playing clean on the neck pickup with some piezo mixed in is just about a perfect clean tone. For dirt thought, bridge pickup, boost and OD...no piezo.

Hollowbuddy
06-17-2012, 12:27 PM
That's the reason One of mine has Tom Holmes, and the other has Gibby 69 Patent number black label !

NIGHT AND DAY in each case ! More modern sounds with the Tom Holmes BUT NOT too much for a Hollowbody. And of course the 69 Gibby are perfect for those Es335 sounds ( thinks Larry Carlton,
Lee Ritenour, Robben Ford ... ... )

Expensive pups ?! ... are going to put cheap tires on your Ferrari ???!!!

Hb