PDA

View Full Version : New 5 way switch mod available thru PTC

Shawn@PRS
06-28-2012, 01:11 PM
The PTC has created a wiring mod for the 5 way blade switch. The PTC can add a push/pull pot to your existing guitar to give you 3 additional singlecoil settings.

You get the 5 standard settings from your switch when the push/pull pot is in the down position, but in the UP position, the humbuckers are tapped to single coils. Giving you 3 additional settings (position 1, 2 and 4 are identical)

So, here are the standard positions with push/pull in the Down position:
■Position 1: Bridge humbucker
■Position 2: Bridge humbucker with neck singlecoil, in parallel
■Position 3: Bridge and neck humbuckers
■Position 4: Neck singlecoil with bridge singlecoil, in parallel
■Position 5: Neck humbucker

And this is what you could get with the push/pull in the UP position:
■Position 1: Bridge Single coil (coil closest to neck)
■Position 2: Bridge Singlecoil (coil closest to the neck)
■Position 3: Bridge and neck single coils (coils closest to the neck)
■Position 4: Bridge singlecoil (coil closest to the neck)
■Position 5: Neck Singlecoil (coil closest to the neck)

This mod will add another chapter to an already versatile instrument. The price is $125 plus shipping
If you're interested, please complete the form found here: https://www.prsguitars.com/ptc/contact.html and we can get the process going.

swede71
06-28-2012, 01:30 PM
Thats awesome!Great wiring mod!

LSchefman
06-28-2012, 08:19 PM
That's a great idea!

newfmp3
06-29-2012, 07:05 AM
awesome news. If I didn't live so far away I'd send mine in asap.

JGreen
06-29-2012, 07:50 AM
Is this mod possible on a 513?

Shawn@PRS
06-29-2012, 11:02 AM
Is this mod possible on a 513?

Not exactly the same type of mod, but yes a push/pull pot can be added to a 513. This would allow the player to have a dual humbucker setting or have all three pickup on at the same time.

jrw32
06-29-2012, 11:54 AM
Might be a dumb question, but how about on a Studio? Would it make the neck/middle Narrowfields tappable?

Shawn@PRS
06-29-2012, 01:04 PM
Might be a dumb question, but how about on a Studio? Would it make the neck/middle Narrowfields tappable?

No, the narrowfield pickups cannot be tapped. sorry.

JGreen
06-29-2012, 01:12 PM
Not exactly the same type of mod, but yes a push/pull pot can be added to a 513. This would allow the player to have a dual humbucker setting or have all three pickup on at the same time.

Thanks Shawn, sounds very interesting!

CantankerousCarl
06-29-2012, 02:33 PM
How 'bout doing this with the 5-way rotary & stock pups?

Shawn@PRS
06-29-2012, 03:18 PM
^^^ We can do it with a rotary switch as well^^^

JGreen
06-29-2012, 04:13 PM
Hey Shawn, could you explain a bit more about the dual humbucking setting that would be available on a moded 513...Does that mean both the bridge and neck humbuckers would be on at the same time?

Thanks, J

Shawn@PRS
06-29-2012, 05:07 PM
Hi Jeff,

The push pull pot would activate the bridge pickup automatically. so if you were in the neck position, you'd instantly have both humbuckers with a flick of the switch. If you were in the position to have the neck and middle pickups working, you'd instantly have all three pickups working simply by adding the bridge pickup using the push/pull pot. etc.

We've done this mod on a few 513's already, so maybe those owners will chime in with their opinions.

JGreen
06-30-2012, 05:55 AM
Thanks for that Shawn, sounds awesome. I'd be very interested to hear what people who have had the mod done have to say about it!

Shultzie
08-23-2012, 10:52 AM
The PTC has created a wiring mod for the 5 way blade switch. The PTC can add a push/pull pot to your existing guitar to give you 3 additional singlecoil settings.

You get the 5 standard settings from your switch when the push/pull pot is in the down position, but in the UP position, the humbuckers are tapped to single coils. Giving you 3 additional settings (position 1, 2 and 4 are identical)

This mod will add another chapter to an already versatile instrument. The price is $125 plus shipping
If you're interested, please complete the form found here: https://www.prsguitars.com/ptc/contact.html and we can get the process going.

Hey Shawn,

Can you perform this mod on a P22 as well?...

Thanks

Joe Shultz

Shawn@PRS
08-23-2012, 11:43 AM
Hey Shawn,

Thanks

Joe Shultz

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/gitfukintar/magic8ball.png

gear_freak
08-23-2012, 12:15 PM
SWEET! Would the AV pickups allow this as well? You guys ROCK!

gear_freak
08-23-2012, 12:16 PM
One more thing. Shawn, would this also give a CU24 the same single coil options that were once had via the 5-way rotary?

Mike Duncan
08-23-2012, 08:57 PM
Hmm....what about a DGT?

lchender
08-25-2012, 06:21 AM
Hi Shawn,

Is there anyway that one could get hold of a 5-way rotary drop in replacement that would give older PRS guitars equipped with the 5-way rotary the new switching positions? Maybe then this new add-on could also be added?

rafalstachura
08-25-2012, 06:27 AM
This should be a standard wiring for Custom 24.

aduayer
08-25-2012, 07:16 AM

sure it's very interesting mod with a decent price. a very good deal. thanks fro sharing

wilerty
08-25-2012, 07:24 AM
Hey Shawn,

Thanks

Joe Shultz

It was done on my PS P22 ... Works great.

Shawn@PRS
08-25-2012, 09:36 AM
Hi Shawn,

Is there anyway that one could get hold of a 5-way rotary drop in replacement that would give older PRS guitars equipped with the 5-way rotary the new switching positions? Maybe then this new add-on could also be added?

Unfortunately the 5 way rotary switch (PC board variety) has pre-set positions that cannot be changed.

zebraprs
06-20-2013, 12:18 PM
^^^ We can do it with a rotary switch as well^^^

Shawn, what would the extra sounds be like on an older Custom with 5 way rotary? My 95 Custom has the PC board variety.

I did put in a coil tap(Neck PU) into something like this years back and the only useful sound I got was the Neck Single Coil...

jeff5
06-13-2014, 08:48 AM
Hey guys. Sorry to necro a thread but not having much luck on getting a schematic. Shawn and I exchanged PMs (thanks Shawn!) and PTC doesn't offer this anymore and can't get me schematic for non-standard items. Does anyone have a schematic for this? I'm more than comfortable doing it myself. Thanks!

Jeff

gush
06-13-2014, 10:20 AM
This is the exact mod I've been waiting for!

jeff5
06-14-2014, 04:09 PM
Bump if anyone has a schematic for this. Thanks.

ADP
06-30-2014, 08:46 AM
Shawn and I exchanged PMs (thanks Shawn!) and PTC doesn't offer this anymore and can't get me schematic for non-standard items.

Does this mean you have the standard schematic for PRS pickups?

ADP
07-02-2014, 09:36 AM
I have a P22 coming in the next couple of weeks and I've been looking at the wiring to see if I can figure out how the push-pull works on this mod. Now, I'm no electronics expert - in fact I don't know that I really know anything at all about it - but I'm inquisitive enough to poke at things that I have no right to touch and see what happens. I've come up with something but I don't know if it works...

If I make a slight modification to the fourth position to give neck humbucker and bridge single coil, am I right in thinking that I could install a push-pull tone control and wire the reds to the middle lugs, running them to the switch from the bottom lugs of the switch and to earth/ground from the top lugs (possibly via a pair of resistors) when the pot is pulled to give the following?

1. Bridge humbucker splits to bridge single coil
2. Bridge humbucker and neck single coil split to bridge single coil on its own
3. Both humbuckers split to both single coils
4. Neck humbucker and bridge single coil split to neck single coil on its own
5. Neck humbucker splits to neck single coil

That way, all eight combinations of humbuckers and single coils are available with a five-way blade and a push-pull. Of course, I may be completely wrong and end up with a whole lot of hum and sparks so I'd appreciate it if someone with any genuine knowledge and experience felt like weighing in.

wardog
07-02-2014, 10:30 AM
Here is my 2 cents on it. With the 5X/0X pickups I believe the white lead is the tap. On the current schematic for the P22 I would place the push-pull in place of current tone pot and run existing wires to the same lugs. Then you will need to run a lead from middle lug on push-pull to grd and them a jumper from switch white to bottom lug on push-pull. This would be for one pickup. you would use the other side of the Push-pull to do the same for the second pickup.

Result
BLADE POSITIONS

Position 1: (down) Bridge Humbucker
Position 2: Bridge Humbucker with Neck Single-coil
Position 3: Bridge and Neck Humbuckers
Position 4: Neck Single-coil with Bridge Single-coil
Position 5: (up) Neck Humbucker

Tapped-push-pull engaged
BLADE POSITIONS

Position 1: (down) Bridge single
Position 2: Bridge single with Neck Single-coil
Position 3: Bridge and Neck both single
Position 4: Neck Single-coil with Bridge Single-coil---maybe drop in volume?
Position 5: (up) Neck single

The fun part is to experiment and try it out. I could be totally off here.

Cem
07-02-2014, 11:07 AM
We need schematics on this one. For those who aren't living in AmeriKa :)

wardog
07-02-2014, 11:13 AM
http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/schematics/2012/p22_2012.pdf

ADP
07-02-2014, 12:59 PM
With the 5X/0X pickups I believe the white lead is the tap.

The white lead is the tap with normal 5X/XX pickups, but the versions used with blade switches have black, white and red leads. The red is the tap in these pickups.

Thanks for your input. I'll probably end up experimenting. If I can't get it to work the way I want, I can just put it back the way it was.

wardog
07-02-2014, 06:37 PM
I'll probably end up experimenting. If I can't get it to work the way I want, I can just put it back the way it was.
post your results, its a learning and sharing process!!!:beer:

blackthorn
07-03-2014, 01:26 AM
Do you have also the same schematic for an old C22 with Dragon 2 and rotary switch? I really like all rotary switch sounds, but I need some real single coils form time to time.

Thanks

ADP
07-03-2014, 02:00 AM
Pretty much every PRS schematic is available here: https://www.prsguitars.com/csc/schematics.html

blackthorn
07-03-2014, 08:34 AM
Ok, but how this schemtic will work with a push pull tone knob for HB split?

089Ray
07-03-2014, 08:42 AM
If anyone is able to draw a diagram for converting the cu24 wiring (5 way blade) into a 5 way and push pull like wardog said, I'd be extremely grateful! It would turn an awesome axe into a hyper versatile guitar

wardog
07-03-2014, 02:10 PM
Now that I look at what i wrote. It makes more since to have push pull for each pickup. This would mean a push-pull pot for the volume and the tone. I believe this would achieve the tapped options I posted above.

Also, you would take tap lead for pickup to pot tap section first then to switch. That would do it for sure.

If I was good at diagrams I would draw the mod, but I am not very good at all. I can see it in my mind for sure.

089Ray
07-03-2014, 03:11 PM
If you want we can discuss about it via pm and I can draw what you 'explain', maybe we can combine forces and bring this diagram to light to help fellow users

ADP
07-04-2014, 10:49 AM
Here's a schematic I've put together to show what I think is possible. I have to say that I'm much better with Photoshop than I am at wiring so while this might look good, it might not work. I'm pretty sure that it'll do what I think it should, but it might hum like crazy when the tone knob is pulled because the black leads won't go anywhere. That's what I'm most interested in finding out.

I've modified the schematic to give neck humbucker and bridge slug in position 4.

With the tone pot in the "down" position, the circuit is as normal with the black leads running to the switch. In the "up" position, it switches the red leads in place of the black leads. The "flying" leads from the top lugs allow them to work in both positions. This is all theory of course. I'm just hoping that someone who knows a lot more than me can either confirm or correct the schematic.

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r481/tedmccarty/PRS/CustomwiringforP22_zpscb7c77b7.jpg

ADP
08-21-2014, 06:15 PM
I've finally got around to trying a version of this circuit in an SE. I used a Fender super switch, which is slightly different from the PRS 5-way blade, but it works much the same (and costs a lot less). It gives the combinations shown above including the single-coil sounds as described with the push-pull switch in the up position. This way, I have the eight different combinations of humbuckers and single coils using a 5-way switch and a push-pull. Eventually, I hope to work up the courage to do this to my P22.

089Ray
03-26-2015, 07:41 AM
any news about this mod? I live in Europe and it would be impossible to perform as I'd have to ship the guitar to the usa.

ADP
03-26-2015, 01:48 PM
If you use the schematic I've posted, you'll get the same results and a more logical layout than the PTC version.

longjohnsilver564
03-30-2015, 01:29 PM
If you use the schematic I've posted, you'll get the same results and a more logical layout than the PTC version.

Thank you for working on this mod. I'm highly interested in your schematic but alas I can't see it... Can you please check?

wardog
03-30-2015, 01:51 PM
Thank you for working on this mod. I'm highly interested in your schematic but alas I can't see it... Can you please check?
Here you go

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r481/tedmccarty/PRS/CustomwiringforP22_zpscb7c77b7.jpg

longjohnsilver564
03-30-2015, 02:53 PM
Argh, my stupid fault. Or more precisely that of Opera. Viewing the page with Firefox revealed the schematics...
Thanks for reposting it :-)

ADP
03-31-2015, 08:22 AM
No problem. If you decide to install it, please post your findings.

I've also worked out that you can use the older wafer-style rotary switch and a push-pull to give the same combinations. You can't do it with the PCB rotary though. You lose the in-series single coils and the outside coils as options but you get eight different sounds including both humbuckers and mixtures of single coils and humbuckers.

zebraprs
03-31-2015, 10:03 AM
I had this done last year to my Custom 24. It really makes a big difference being able to dial in true single coil tones.

089Ray
04-01-2015, 01:08 AM
Thanks mate
Do you think that's possible to rewire completely the prs 5 way in order to act like the ibanez 5 way?
(Bridge humbucker
Bridge + neck single parallel
Bridge + neck parallel
Neck parallel
NEck)

and adding a push pull to split everything?

Thanks

ADP
04-01-2015, 12:58 PM
It should be possible, but you need the older wafer-style rotary switch to do it.

089Ray
04-02-2015, 01:15 AM
Damn, so fitting another 5 way like the fender crl I suppose
I wish it could be made with the prs switch as I really like the feel of it and the toggle cap :)

ADP
04-02-2015, 02:28 AM
Sorry, I thought you were talking about the PRS rotary 5-way - probably because my last post was about the rotary switch. Yes, I'm pretty sure you can rewire the PRS 5-way blade to do that. The PRS switch is very similar to a Fender super switch or Ibanez switch with a couple of poles removed. The missing ones are just the ones that aren't used in a normal wiring setup.