PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk grilling!

vchizzle
07-09-2012, 09:13 PM
What do you like to grill? Charcoal or gas?

Being a Wisconsin boy, I love doing brats, burgers & steaks. I like grilled chicken but its not my forte, always afraid of over or under cooking. I'd love to go charcoal but frankly it takes more time than I usually have and I live in a condo which makes it a huge pain without a proper place to just leave the grill sit.

I'll grill all year, even January & February when it's sub-zero temps.

I always drink beer while grilling. It's the Wisconsin way. Tonight I'm drinking Ale Asylum Hopalicious which is an American pale ale.

Danerada
07-09-2012, 09:19 PM
I am charcoal all the way. I grill with a round Weber grill and use a charcoal chimney to start the charcoal (takes a lot less time). I will grill just about anything. I found a way to cook cut up potatoes in an old omelet pan on the grill. I love chicken on the grill, and I equally love grilling fish, ribs, steak, burgers, sausages, brats, etc....I am also a beer drinking griller....

dantedayjob
07-09-2012, 09:26 PM
I prefer charcoal, but usually use gas for ease. Typically brats/burgers/hot dogs, but when I was in Oregon I figured out how to do good pit bbq on my Aussie Walkabout (my have charcoal grill)... basically, I use Royal Oak charcoal, get it hot, cover it with soaked hickory chips and close the dampers to where there is only a whisper of air. Will hold a couple slabs of spare.. put them on, bone down and 5 or 6 hours later there is some serious Q... works with shoulder as well, but you have to turn it periodically

alantig
07-09-2012, 09:29 PM
Gas, baby - for the grill and from the cook! :o

I've become the go-to guy for burgers, kielbasa, chicken and weenies. And we're getting ribs down - I've finally adapted to slow-cooking them, and I'm getting decent at it. The last batch could have stood a bit more heat or time, but I'm learning!

vchizzle
07-09-2012, 10:05 PM
Excellent.
I'd love to try the hickory chip deal.

My favorite steaks to grill are ribeye. 1 1/2" thick or so. Medium rare to medium - little pink/red but not bleeding like a stuck pig. Sea salt & ground pepper. I've been doing this thing lately mixing cayenne pepper, sea salt & water. Spoon it over the top when grilling. Maybe goes against the "minimal seasoning" but it adds some kick without adding a bunch external flavors.

Shawn@PRS
07-09-2012, 10:20 PM
I love grilled meats, but I leave he cooking to others. I wish I was handier with the grill though.

ps, to those who do grill. Please stick to meat, don't ruin it by grilling veggies. :)

vchizzle
07-09-2012, 11:18 PM
I love grilled meats, but I leave he cooking to others. I wish I was handier with the grill though.

ps, to those who do grill. Please stick to meat, don't ruin it by grilling veggies. :)
What about kabobs? Chicken or steak, peppers, onions, pineapple, etc.?....on a steeeeeek :D

Sometimes we do sweet corn on the cob. Used to do diced baby red potato with butter & garlic wrapped in foil...can be done equally well in the oven though.

dantedayjob
07-10-2012, 12:17 AM

ffffffff.....

Always meat, but love the veggies on there too... corn on the cob, only way to cook it IMO... an excellent alternative to a baked potato, when I am making steaks on the charcoal I will take some whole sweet onions, cut them almost through in an X, put some butter, salt an pepper on it, wrap it in tin foil and poke holes in the foil... throw it on the charcoal... serve with sour cream... OMFG!

sergiodeblanc
07-10-2012, 02:02 AM

The Vegan mafia has been notified.

slev
07-10-2012, 05:39 AM
Gas, but just because it means I can grill anything at a moments notice. Grilled up some coffee and a bagel Saturday morning after the power outage in Maryland...seriously, gotta have the morning joe. When I'm not grilling breakfast, a nice flank steak topped with habanero butter and cold beer is heaven.

prsrocker1988
07-10-2012, 08:07 AM
I love grilled food - especially hot dogs and cheeseburgers. And now I'm hungry! :D

rugerpc
07-10-2012, 11:25 AM
Gas grill with 4 burners. that lets me do direct heat and indirect heat (food over 2 center burners with them turned off).

I got sick of over and under cooking meat so I got an iGrill. It is THE way to the perfect whatever ya got...

You want one (http://www.igrillinc.com/)

LCblues1987
07-11-2012, 09:50 AM
Grilling is definitely my second hobby to guitars. I have two smokers.

Ribs(smoked, slow cooked for 8 or so hours), pork tenderloin, beef tenderloin, ribeyes, flanks, chicken, beer in the butt chicken, wings, salmon, burgers, turkey burgers.... You name it, I've probably grilled it. I've even slow cooked few pizzas. Once I got the meat side of things perfected, I started dabbling in making my own marinades and basting sauces.. That's really where the fun comes in.

I'm kind of a grill fanatic, and it's a topic I usually don't GAS much on.. It's only hickory and charcoal for me.

dantedayjob
07-11-2012, 09:56 AM
... hickory and charcoal...

:D

solacematt
07-11-2012, 01:56 PM
http://i.qkme.me/35imng.jpg

soundbee
07-11-2012, 03:07 PM
Watch thy brushes.... http://is.gd/J7Tivj ouch!

Luv a good bbq ;-

rugerpc
07-11-2012, 03:48 PM
Watch thy brushes.... http://is.gd/J7Tivj ouch!

OK, THAT sucks...

cwhenke
07-13-2012, 06:30 PM
ffffffff.....

Always meat, but love the veggies on there too... corn on the cob, only way to cook it IMO... an excellent alternative to a baked potato, when I am making steaks on the charcoal I will take some whole sweet onions, cut them almost through in an X, put some butter, salt an pepper on it, wrap it in tin foil and poke holes in the foil... throw it on the charcoal... serve with sour cream... OMFG!

Man, that sounds so good. I usually just slice onion up (put some toothpicks in so the rings dont't come apart)...coat with olive oil, a light dusting of pepper, and some sugar. The sugar carmelizes even more than the onion, and, oooohhhhhh....it's like candy.

What about fruit? I've done pineapple, and it was good. I've heard of peaches, too. My wife just told me about slicing a banana lengthwise, coat with some butter and beown sugar and grill. Serve with ice cream on top...sort of like bamanas foster.

rugerpc
07-13-2012, 10:21 PM
We tried grilled watermelon here - doesn't beat cold watermelon with salt....

Shawn@PRS
07-14-2012, 10:22 AM
ffffffff.....

Corn on the cob sounds great, but I could live the rest of my life without eating another onion.

Danerada
07-14-2012, 10:29 AM
I will take some whole sweet onions, cut them almost through in an X, put some butter, salt an pepper on it, wrap it in tin foil and poke holes in the foil... throw it on the charcoal... serve with sour cream... OMFG!

I think this is going to happen today!!!!

DavidWann
07-14-2012, 06:09 PM
Charcoal, charcoal chimney to start it. Put alum foil on grill, grill up some bacon and then put steaks or bugers in the bacon grease. Hmmmm!

daa2202
07-15-2012, 08:26 PM
I have both a Weber kettle (charcoal) and a Weber Genesis gas grill, and while I grill two or three times a week (usually on the weekends, but there are exceptions), I haven't used the charcoal kettle in about two years. I used to be a charcoal snob but gas has won me over with both convenience and good results. The Genesis gets up to about 600* and that's hot enough to do a steak properly, and it can also run all day long at 225* for low-and-slow cooking. With three burners, you can do direct or indirect cooking. I've cooked all sorts of things - from whole turkeys to countless steaks, ribs, chops, sausages, vegetables (corn, zucchini, eggplant, onions), potatoes, and probably other stuff that I've forgotten. The only thing I haven't tried is pizza, and I'm gonna do one before the summer ends.

John Beef
07-16-2012, 07:14 PM
I have both. The weather's never not right for grilling in Phoenix.

For really good stuff like steak or boneless butterflied leg of lamb, I'll do charcoal.

For quick stuff, a couple salmon fillets or a quick couple burgers on a weeknight, it's gas.

I don't ever order steak at restaurants any more. The last time I did that I went to this super ritzy place for our anniversary, ordered a $40 new york strip steak. It was good, but I knew that I had made better myself. So now, I always look for one of the many good pork variants on the menu (particularly the slow roasted/smoked varieties) and go for that. I can get fantastic steaks at Costco and do 'em myself and that makes me very happy.

cjmwrx
07-16-2012, 08:08 PM
http://i.qkme.me/35imng.jpg

Taste the Meat not the Heat! I love gas. I was raised on charcoal, and switched 10 years ago. I do still use mesquite for the slow cooker, and that does run charcoal. Brisket and Ribs only.

Shawn@PRS
07-16-2012, 08:34 PM
The weather's never not right for grilling in Phoenix.

Come to Maryland. The 80% humidity will caused the sweat to run into your eyes while you try to swat mosquitoes with your one free hand while the other hand flips the burgers, all the while standing in front of a hot grill. Anyone who has been to the Experience knows the weather here is perfect! :)

GC Ron
07-16-2012, 10:08 PM
Charcoal only here. Steaks, chicken and pork chops. Rib Eye and Porterhouse are my favorite cuts. Prefer to have the grill up high and I cook with the lid down. Slow cooks and juicy every time. Not into high heat and fast cook time. Lots of black pepper and a little Lawry's seasoned salt as a slight marinade. Yum yum.

Fox77
07-17-2012, 05:49 AM
As I live in an apartment in the center of Amsterdam, sadly only charcoal here (small round Weber on the patio). When I grew up my Dad and I used to grill the old fashioned way, i.e. with wood. Always had to start early of course, had to wait until the wood turned to coal. But nothing beats that taste imho.

I agree that the veggies shouldn't take the upper hand on the grill :o) Also agree that chicken is difficult to do right, unless you marinate it which should prevent it from drying out when grilled long.

What's very nice to go with the meat (I'm sure y'all have tried this) is to wrap potatoes (with their skin) in tin foil and just throw them into the coals. Leave them there for some time and then serve with some curd cheese and chives. Awesome.

Now I'm hungry...

John Beef
07-17-2012, 01:11 PM
Come to Maryland. The 80% humidity will caused the sweat to run into your eyes while you try to swat mosquitoes with your one free hand while the other hand flips the burgers, all the while standing in front of a hot grill. Anyone who has been to the Experience knows the weather here is perfect! :)

I'm a Virginia Beach native so I know how it is!! And I don't miss it!

GC Ron
07-23-2012, 09:44 PM
Today's episode of cooking with charcoal, chicken wing drumettes.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b152/gcrep613/IMG-20120723-00811.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b152/gcrep613/IMG-20120723-00812.jpg

vchizzle
07-24-2012, 11:11 AM
Today's episode of cooking with charcoal, chicken wing drumettes.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b152/gcrep613/IMG-20120723-00811.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b152/gcrep613/IMG-20120723-00812.jpg

Mmmmmm

rugerpc
07-24-2012, 11:35 AM
Mmmmmm

what he said!

bluefade
07-30-2012, 10:08 PM
TOASTED PALOMA!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goldtop
07-31-2012, 07:20 AM
ffffffff.....

... an excellent alternative to a baked potato, when I am making steaks on the charcoal I will take some whole sweet onions, cut them almost through in an X, put some butter, salt an pepper on it, wrap it in tin foil and poke holes in the foil... throw it on the charcoal... serve with sour cream...

It's early in the morning as I write this, and my mouth is watering!

Goldtop

rugerpc
07-31-2012, 09:10 AM
We did kabobs last night over rice. Aside from the meat (lamb!) there were onions, pineapple, mushrooms and these guys...

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w382/rugerpc/Just%20for%20fun/plants.jpg

GC Ron
09-02-2012, 07:27 PM
Today, NY Strip.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b152/gcrep613/steak.jpg

Jimbob
09-03-2012, 01:00 AM
Always charcoal here! Corn on the cob as a side is great as well!

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh293/jpridx/BackyardBBQ-1.jpg

Martin1320
05-13-2013, 04:34 AM
I use charcoal all the way. I love to grill, eat grill and serve grill. I am a amateur cook, regular reader of different grilling recipes. Also I am trying to write my favorite grilling recipes. hot dogs and cheeseburgers my favorite actually. What about kabobs? Chicken or steak, peppers, onions, pineapple, etc.?. yeah its yummy

Veggie Kabobs (http://www.happygrilling.net/chicken-n-veggie-kabobs/)
view here (http://www.happygrilling.net/best-weber-grill-covers-under-50/)

boxstop7
05-13-2013, 09:47 AM
Gas, all the way. As Hank Hill says: "Taste the meat, not the heat!"

http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/p723/boxstop7/tumblr_m6jwd0y4k21qzssaso1_r1_500_zpscdb7e0ef.jpg

jfb
05-13-2013, 01:29 PM
I am really hungry...and this thread isn't helping.

jcha008
05-13-2013, 01:30 PM
I'm big on charcoal grilling. I just ordered myself a new Weber Charcoal Grill with the self-starter through my business. I've also been getting into smoking lately. My buddy just purchased a Traeger, and that thing is amazing!

What's very nice to go with the meat (I'm sure y'all have tried this) is to wrap potatoes (with their skin) in tin foil and just throw them into the coals. Leave them there for some time and then serve with some curd cheese and chives. Awesome.

Now I'm hungry...

I'm big on cooking potatoes on my grill. The potato bombs by the BBQ boys have been a go to for the past year or so. Can't figure out how to embed so I'll just link it.

http://youtu.be/7aUNmtSgB0c

John Beef
05-13-2013, 01:36 PM
We bought some prime New York strips for m wife's birthday, $12 a pound at Costco, which I grilled over an incredibly high heat charcoal fire. 1" thick steaks cooked in seven minutes total. They were absolutely heavenly, one of the top 3 best things I have eaten all year.

vchizzle
05-13-2013, 02:06 PM
I'm eating left over brats from Mother's Day today.

dadoffive
05-13-2013, 02:23 PM
Vchizzle... cook potatoes the same way, except add a little onion and parmesagna/reggiano cheese on those bad boys! Served with a nice slow cooked filet and corn on the cob...

Chitarrista scarso
05-13-2013, 04:10 PM
Vchizzle... cook potatoes the same way, except add a little onion and parmesagna/reggiano cheese on those bad boys! Served with a nice slow cooked filet and corn on the cob...
Oh oh italian taste here... ok dadoffive, i'm with you. But correct words are Parmigiano Reggiano, it's a cheese from two towns: Parma and Reggio... Peace, love and grill!

Shawn@PRS
05-13-2013, 04:35 PM
Oh oh italian taste here... ok dadoffive, i'm with you. But correct words are Parmigiano Reggiano, it's a cheese from two towns: Parma and Reggio... Peace, love and grill!

Which part of Italy are you from?

thieves&foxes
05-13-2013, 07:11 PM
Here in South Africa we call it a braai. it's pretty much part of our culture. normally we do steak, chops, ribs, boerewors (local type of sausage) potjiekos (pot food in Afrikaans kind of a stew, but better) and various other kinds of dead animals on it :)
oh and braais are done with wood, not charcoal or gas.

frankb56
05-14-2013, 10:52 AM
I have a Weber gas grill, but what I do is add wood chips just below the grates. It's kind of having the best of both worlds. You can find flavored chips like maple and apple wood chips. Man, all these posts about food and I'm stuck in my office with a p/b jelly sandwich.

alantig
05-14-2013, 05:17 PM
I had a Char-Broil grill - until a few weeks ago when I finished cooking, closed the lid, and the grease pan fell out. The bottom was completely rusted out.

Off to shop around quickly because we cook on it a lot. Ended up with a smaller but beastlier Char-Broil - one of the commercial infrared models. It's going to take a bit of adjusting - the heat seems to distribute way more evenly, and it seems to get hotter. I have to -gasp -turn it down! :o

Chitarrista scarso
05-14-2013, 05:30 PM
Which part of Italy are you from?
Sorry, i've seen your answer now... Rossano is my town, is on the sea.
Really good things here are red wine, some recipe for chili food and surely my PRS!

Shawn@PRS
05-14-2013, 06:21 PM
Sorry, i've seen your answer now... Rossano is my town, is on the sea.
Really good things here are red wine, some recipe for chili food and surely my PRS!

It sounds lovely!

sergiodeblanc
05-14-2013, 06:28 PM
I just light an old tire on fire and put my veggie dogs on there... at least then they have a little flavor.:girl:

frankb56
05-15-2013, 09:33 AM
Veggie dogs and burning tires.....hmmm, sounds like Bad Brain food.

John Beef
05-15-2013, 12:24 PM
I saw a website once devoted to taking pictures of speed cameras in Great Britain. Specifically, speed cameras that have had old tires filled with gasoline, then lit on fire to turn the speed cameras into burned out ruins. It was great.

Anyway, grilled speed camera is not a delicacy.

sergiodeblanc
05-15-2013, 12:45 PM
Veggie dogs and burning tires.....hmmm, sounds like Bad Brain food.

It's a Crucial BBQ!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bANekFdPao

frankb56
05-16-2013, 07:25 AM
Oh yeah,
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQhSShFrbcpWLOZmuX2lavd4RSuApdnd Vnay2jwdbdRjUdjwbQ_EQ