PDA

View Full Version : Straps!

Boogie92801
07-09-2012, 10:43 PM
What strap do you use with the big PRS strap buttons? Standard strap holes are too small and I dont want to put locks on my TED. So what?

prsrocker1988
07-09-2012, 11:07 PM
Normally in the past I've just slightly enlarged the hole on whatever strap I wanted to use but I use Schaller straplocks on all of my guitars. I have had too many bad experiences and close calls not to use locks when playing live.

dantedayjob
07-09-2012, 11:20 PM
I use Franklin straps on all my guitars, PRSi or otherwise... love the look and they are, hands down, the most comfortable straps I have ever used... I have had to, in some instances, loosen the PRS strap buttons to get the strap on and then tighten back down... they hold really well!

OsirisProtocol
07-10-2012, 03:07 AM
I'm currently using a Monocase Betty strap a lot lately. I sometimes alternate between a Minataur strap and a Levy's padded leather strap as well. All three of these straps required their holes widened a bit to fit both the PRS strap buttons and the Schaller straplocks that I use.

CoreyT
07-10-2012, 05:04 AM
I have two leather straps.
One a Levis, the other one is a Planet Waves.

I took off the stock pins on my Gibson SG and my SE Santana the day I got both of them, and put on the Schaller strap locks.

I have a poly strap too, but it is slippery, and it makes the SGs head aim down if you let go of the guitar.
I like the leather straps better, as they grip the shirts and do not slide around at all on me.

Michael B
07-10-2012, 05:53 AM
Well, anyone who was at the experience last year prolly saw Chris...aka CRGTR on here playing a stripped 58 in the jam tent and witnessed a great catch when the strap let loose....I ALWAYS put strap locks on my girls!! again...great snatch Chris!!

CoreyT
07-10-2012, 06:51 AM
Look closely at Orianthi here with her PRS guitar.
Looks like she is using Schaller strap locks too.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/justinrdupont/sets/72157628382605255/

prsrocker1988
07-10-2012, 07:03 AM
I have two leather straps.
One a Levis, the other one is a Planet Waves.

I took off the stock pins on my Gibson SG and my SE Santana the day I got both of them, and put on the Schaller strap locks.

I have a poly strap too, but it is slippery, and it makes the SGs head aim down if you let go of the guitar.
I like the leather straps better, as they grip the shirts and do not slide around at all on me.

The close call I had was with an SG actually. Neck heavy to boot and it fell on a carpeted floor face first. Luckily the headstock didn't snap. From then on I've never played without them.

CoreyT
07-10-2012, 07:08 AM
It may also be the way Gibson has the strap pin behind the neck instead of on the outer horn like on the PRS and many other guitars.
I also have to put the strap lock in from the other way on that end of the strap for the SG to make the strap show right.
I wish the pin was on the horn instead of from behind.

But yeah, the SGs will take a dive.

swede71
07-10-2012, 07:11 AM
PRS black nylon strap.

Richard Lainegard
07-10-2012, 07:23 AM
Comfort straps here (the fatter bass model): http://comfortstrapp.com/
And LOXX strap locks on all guitars, so same strap with all axes:
http://www.loxxusa.com/

Boogie92801
07-10-2012, 08:40 AM
i guess cutting thr hole bigger is the the way to make it fit but then they are not secure. Just dont want to screw with the big buttons.

Shawn@PRS
07-10-2012, 10:55 AM
A little trick I do is loosen the screw in the strap button just slightly, maybe 1/4-1/2 of a turn. This gives a little more space under the button rim and makes it a little easier to fit a strapped to it.

crgtr
07-10-2012, 11:00 AM
Well, anyone who was at the experience last year prolly saw Chris...aka CRGTR on here playing a stripped 58 in the jam tent and witnessed a great catch when the strap let loose....I ALWAYS put strap locks on my girls!! again...great snatch Chris!!

Thanks Michael. That was an interesting way to start a jam in front of a tent full of guitar players! No pressure there! I'm just glad the 58 never hit the ground. That would've really sucked!

vchizzle
07-10-2012, 04:28 PM
I mostly use a Levy's padded strap with Schallers. I bought one of these awhile back to use one non-strap lock equipped guitars: http://www.coreoneproduct.com/pages/kepurweb/kepurhome.html
They are a huge pain to get on the PRS buttons, but they will go on with some work.

LSchefman
07-10-2012, 05:44 PM
Luckily, I've never had a guitar fall off the strap, and I've been playing without strap locks since, I dunno, 1966 or 7?

Maybe I need to jump around more or something.

Oh wait, I'm too old now. Never mind. ;)

LerxstFan
07-11-2012, 11:56 AM
I have been using PRS straps with my two PRS for a few years and have not had any issues with the straps coming off and have never used anything but the standard PRS strap buttons. I had been using one of the soft leather 'bird' straps, but replaced it with two of the red padded PRS straps - they are AWESOME.! Very comfortable and look great. They are a little tough to get over the strap buttons at first, but the leather breaks in pretty quick. Really great straps imo.

solacematt
07-11-2012, 12:53 PM
I've been using Planet Waves on both of my PRS and never has an issue. They're such great guitars I can't bear to put a strap lock in either one of them. The strap on my Custom 24 has been on since early 2010 and the one on the McCarty Hollowbody since Oct of the same year and don't show any signs of loosening at all :)

markie
07-11-2012, 08:48 PM
PRS Straps..................... Made to fit PRS Buttons!

crgtr
07-11-2012, 09:09 PM
I use Levy's mostly. Every gtr gets it's own strap so it changes sometimes. Mr Clean wanted nothing more than a PRS 25th Anniversary "white" strap. So, I put out feelers to buy one...and one of you (you know who you are) actually GAVE me one!! Troy gave me a fancy Jaykco paisley strap to go with that gtr, but it seems more at home on the TGS gtr (yet-to-be-named....) The Levy's are a "beech" to get on the 1st few times, but they hold on REAL good after that.

Proxmax
07-12-2012, 03:25 PM
i use only those with schaller locks:
http://shop.strato.de/epages/15454046.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/15454046/Categories/Gurte_Springbreak/6_cm_Breite_120__156_cm_Laenge

http://shop.strato.de/WebRoot/Store/Shops/15454046/MediaGallery/1008/1008_1.JPG

slev
07-12-2012, 04:59 PM
Use a PRS Logo leather strap on my CE24 and just got a new Levy's 3" padded leather strap for my SC. Very comfortable. PRS strap buttons work great with the PRS straps and Levy's. Most of the Levy's I've used have a narrow opening so they are tough to get on the PRS buttons but they don't come off unless you take them off.

soundbee
07-12-2012, 05:09 PM
Love my Kepur's
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/kepur-1.zero-2-smooth-guitar-strap

MA Pete
08-29-2012, 10:47 PM
What strap do you use with the big PRS strap buttons? Standard strap holes are too small and I dont want to put locks on my TED. So what?

Hey there! Glad to see you are still rockin' the Ted!! :D

LSchefman
08-29-2012, 11:08 PM
I use the PRS straps, they're made to fit the strap button. But I've lengthened the buttonhole slit on Levy's to make them come on and off easily in the past.

Gotta say those Richter straps that Proxmax linked look pretty sharp! So do the gig bags. All very expensive, though...but then what fun stuff isn't? ;)

MA Pete
08-30-2012, 12:41 AM
I have been using two Moody straps, 2.5" and 4" in Black with a Black leather back (as opposed to the Suede option they have), they are great! Ernie Ball straplocks, have been using those for a couple of years, I like them.

Gotta say those Richter straps that Proxmax linked look pretty sharp! So do the gig bags. All very expensive, though...but then what fun stuff isn't? ;)

Just checked those out, very cool! Added them to my long wish list of stuff! ;)

11top
08-30-2012, 06:44 AM
I use Franklin straps on all my guitars, PRSi or otherwise... love the look and they are, hands down, the most comfortable straps I have ever used... I have had to, in some instances, loosen the PRS strap buttons to get the strap on and then tighten back down... they hold really well!

Agreed. Franklins work very well with PRS buttons.

Blackbear
08-30-2012, 01:56 PM
I like the PRS logo leather strap more than anything else that I used in the past.

Em7
08-30-2012, 04:49 PM
I use the PRS straps, they're made to fit the strap button.

I had to lengthen the slits on the PRS leather strap that I purchased at Experience 2010, but a good friend who purchased a PRS strap earlier in 2010 said that his fit perfectly.

SunDog
08-31-2012, 07:36 AM
If you come across a Levy's No. 1 Stretch Strap - give it a try. It is litterally a stretchy strap tha is very comfy to play. The stretchy characteristic allows you to move the neck up and down - without rotating the whole guitar around your body. Never thought that would appeal to me - but it does.

For the thread - I removed the buttons and screwed them back in with the strap in place. I leave the stretch strap on my Mira all the time - even in the case.

I have dunlop strap locks on planet waves straps on my other PRS guitars.

slowro
08-31-2012, 10:32 AM
Look closely at Orianthi here with her PRS guitar.
Looks like she is using Schaller strap locks too.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/justinrdupont/sets/72157628382605255/

What are we talking about again? guitar straps? (seriously though she rocks and I love that red splater guitar!)
Seriously though I use a big comfy Levis that I've had for years and changed the strap buttons because I take the strap off a lot

Shawn@PRS
08-31-2012, 10:40 AM
my current fav. Thick and sturdy, yet soft and padded where the strap meets my should. Plus it looks great too.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/gitfukintar/Strap_cognac_leather_LG.jpg

LSchefman
08-31-2012, 10:44 AM
I've contacted Richter to see if they'll make a strap to fit a PRS strap button. I like that one Shawn has on his post, too!

Need something padded for the SC58.

Shawn@PRS
08-31-2012, 10:49 AM
You should check out these Signature straps Les, they are really nice. They're made for us by a small strap company in Canada using top quality materials.

LSchefman
08-31-2012, 12:50 PM
You should check out these Signature straps Les, they are really nice. They're made for us by a small strap company in Canada using top quality materials.

They look pretty sharp! I'll have to order one.

theneedforspeed
11-22-2012, 10:49 AM
A little trick I do is loosen the screw in the strap button just slightly, maybe 1/4-1/2 of a turn. This gives a little more space under the button rim and makes it a little easier to fit a strapped to it.

I have just had to slacken the neck button a good half turn to get a PRS signature strap to fit comfortably (there is a seriously lovely amount of padding in that leather - call me a pervert if wish!) this meant that without the strap fitted, the button rattled a lot. I was getting some serious resonances on certain notes. So....a felt washer under the button has done the trick. I guess that you could use rubber or a soft plastic. I felt that felt (if you see what I mean) was less likely to damage the finish around the button. As the strap softens and compresses around the eye, I reckon I can probably tighten the button a bit, and maybe even remove the washer.

sleary
11-22-2012, 11:51 AM
I use Planet Waves straps and these ....

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk18/swleary/lg_x02_467974.jpg

Sekunda
11-22-2012, 09:41 PM
I have always used locks as well, but I'm really looking forward to checking out the signature strap in the thank you pack I should be getting soon for the new amp I just brought home! I might have to put the original buttons back on if it fits that well... :)

sergiodeblanc
11-22-2012, 09:58 PM
I wish there was a really chic looking "veggie" strap, without any animal products.

Jay Xander B
11-23-2012, 12:37 PM
might get me shot but i use the thick Fender straps always felt nicest to me.