PDA

View Full Version : Delete That Song!

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
07-28-2012, 11:42 PM
I had a nice date with the wife this evening but the bar was playing the WORST music.

It got us thinking about songs or even artists we wish we could "never EVER hear again."

On my list:
2 Princes - Spin Doctors
Walking on the Sun - Smash Mouth
How Bizarre - OMC
Pretty much everything from the Hip hop community

What would you delete forever if you had the power?

sergiodeblanc
07-28-2012, 11:55 PM
"Everything from the Hip hop community"?!!?? Surely you jest.

I see you, and raise you the Beatles, Eagles, and Bob Dylan.... and Guns-n-Roses.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
07-29-2012, 12:07 AM
"Everything from the Hip hop community"?!!?? Surely you jest.Fair enough. The Beastie Boys (RIP MCA) can stay. G. Love & Special Sauce too.

But Chris Brown, Mase, Lil Wayne, Lil anybody... "T" anybody... Soulja Boy... Bubba Sparxxx... Romeo... Nick Cannon... all that garbage. Just delete it all. Ugh.

Mike Duncan
07-29-2012, 12:30 AM
What? Did you step into an early to mid 90s time warp? I guess that's pretty awesome.

sergiodeblanc
07-29-2012, 12:47 AM
Fair enough. The Beastie Boys (RIP MCA) can stay. RUN DMC, Kool Keith, De La Soul, The Pharcyde, and The Roots too.

But Chris Brown, Mase, Lil Wayne, Lil anybody... "T" anybody... Soulja Boy... Bubba Sparxxx... Romeo... Nick Cannon... all that garbage. Just delete it all. Ugh.

I will agree with al of the above with the exclusion of Lil Kim, cause.. I mean,... come on!
i always assumed you were a brother of the funk, and I understand the adverse reaction to sampling, but without Hip hop most kids born a generation later than our own would not have been exposed to as much funk, soul, and R&B.

Yeah, if the master tapes for "2 Princes" fell eternally down a black hole, never to be destroyed, but never to be heard again, I would "Clink" a beer with you.

Fox77
07-29-2012, 04:37 AM
I could live without all the cute girl with piano covers they do of popular songs. For instance, there are piano covers of Nothing else matters and Use somebody, which already are ballads. But apparently some moron at a record company found that to be not polished enough yet.

Oh and I could do without all the casting shows on tv like Idols where songs I like are frequently raped by - again - cute girls with pianos.

/rant

edit: to clarify, i am talking about the girls who look cute but whose voices are 12 in a dozen and so forgettable

Shawn@PRS
07-29-2012, 07:35 AM
My list is so long, I couldn't possibly type it out.

dprather
07-29-2012, 08:26 AM
"Brick House" will haunt me until I die, "Brown Eyed Girl" isn't a favorite, I can find a way to live with just about everything else. (mostly I jut replace the lyrics with my own insulting version)

Mikegarveyblues
07-29-2012, 09:18 AM
Anything with Autotune...

Anything that Simon Cowell had anything to do with...

Scissor Sisters (That Comfortably Numb cover was criminal!)

Gawd... There's a lot now I come to think of it!

CHARISMAFIRE
07-29-2012, 10:05 AM
THAT "LOVELY WEATHER FOR A SLEIGH RIDE TOGETHER WITH YOU" CHRISTMAS SONG.....AAAHHHHH!!!!! IN FACT ALL CHRISTMAS MUSIC BEFORE DECEMBER 23RD OR SO!!!! JUST SHOOT ME!!!! ......everyday is Christmas is my heart though.....amen.

Mikegarveyblues
07-29-2012, 10:36 AM
IN FACT ALL CHRISTMAS MUSIC BEFORE DECEMBER 23RD OR SO!!!! .

Yes!!!

I know... I'm a miserable sod! I feel sorry for those who work in shops who have to put up with it for 8 hrs a day for weeks!

Danerada
07-29-2012, 01:55 PM
Anything by the Smith's, anything with auto tune, present day hip-hop, disco, death metal/black metal.

If you play any of these on't be offended...personal preference and all...

Goldtop
07-29-2012, 05:36 PM
As Shawn already said, my list is sooo long. But here are a few I want to forget:

Everything by Madonna.

Any 'song' where the lead 'singer' says the word 'Yeah' or 'Uh huh' or 'Word' seventeen times leading into the track. (I'm not a fan of rap or any variation thereof.)

Anything with Autotune.

Anything by anyone who came from a present day television 'competition' program, whether they were winners or just contestants.

Any song where it sounds as if the vocalist is trying to swallow the mic and/or came down with botulism shortly before the session.

Practically everything by Bruce Springsteen.

Last but not least, there's this: I don't know what it's called, but these days there seems to be an endless supply of vocalists (usually young and of either sex) who sound like they have head colds. Either that, or they're recording in their bedrooms and they're afraid to speak up because they might wake Granny in the next room. You hear it on store PAs, on radio, and on tons of tv commercials. In my mind I have this picture of them sitting there in their pajamas with their cat beside them and their trusty Casio keyboard, maybe a ukelele somebody gave them for graduation. They're plunking and strumming and singing(???) about how the clouds are white and the sky is blue and it's a new day and they're going for a ride in the country and they're putting their arm out the car window... They make it difficult for a guy to enjoy an ad for fiber supplements or credit cards!

As always, no offense intended in any way. (Except to Madonna; she can eat a bug for all I care.)

Goldtop

LSchefman
07-29-2012, 05:38 PM
A lot of stuff you may believe hasn't gotten autotunted has in fact been autotuned. In fact, I'll bet most of the posters would only recognize a grossly tuned track, as the software is capable of being used subtly to correct a note here and there that you wouldn't hear if you weren't told.

I never record with autotune, but that's just ad work, no one would give a darn whether I did nor not. There's irony for ya. I figure if someone I bring in to sing can't, you know, actually sing, I bring in someone else.

Other than my own personal autotune rant, I have to go on record as saying that there isn't a style of music I inherently dislike, except badly done music.

I'm fine with hip hop, fine with metal, fine with classic rock, fine with all the genres of country, love classical, love jazz. Down with a lot of the stuff others are complaining about. I'm not a Christian, but I'm even ok with Christmas music.

I guess I need a different filter. LOL!

rugerpc
07-29-2012, 05:41 PM
My list is so long, I couldn't possibly type it out.

Yeah, what Shawn said. But at the top of my list is Billy Joel's "Piano Man", it just vibrates my brain in exactly the wrong direction...

Goldtop
07-29-2012, 05:58 PM
Speaking of Autotune, I may be wrong, but I think the one who brought it a lot of attention 'these days' which in turn led to it being done to death was Cher on "Believe". If I'm not mistaken it was used a number of times before that, but only sparingly to accent something here and there.

Isn't that right? Someone here is bound to have better info about it than I do.

Either way, I still dig her. I'm not ashamed to admit I have some of her albums and CDs. In fact, I have a framed picture of her on my living room wall right now.

Goldtop

Mikegarveyblues
07-29-2012, 06:15 PM
Pretty sure the Cher tune used a Vocoder effect:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocoder

Wasn't too keen on that song but there's no doubt Cher can sing... Autotune can sound like a vocoder if it's correcting badly out of tune stuff.. may have improved since but it was best used to correct slightly out of tune notes. There's just a ton of dance music using it like Cher... Can't help but wonder if it's not to cover up poor vocals and pretend it's done deliberately. Goes right through me anyhoo!

Speaking of Autotune, I may be wrong, but I think the one who brought it a lot of attention 'these days' which in turn led to it being done to death was Cher on "Believe". If I'm not mistaken it was used a number of times before that, but only sparingly to accent something here and there.

Isn't that right? Someone here is bound to have better info about it than I do.

Either way, I still dig her. I'm not ashamed to admit I have some of her albums and CDs. In fact, I have a framed picture of her on my living room wall right now.

Goldtop

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
07-29-2012, 08:21 PM
I will agree with al of the above with the exclusion of Lil Kim, cause.. I mean,... come on!
I'll relent on "All About The Benjamins" but that's it. :D

i always assumed you were a brother of the funk,
Indeed I am!

and I understand the adverse reaction to sampling,
My opinion isn't rooted in their use of sampling at all. It's about the complete lack of creativity in the creation of their music and the idiotic lyrical content (most of the time - not always).

but without Hip hop most kids born a generation later than our own would not have been exposed to as much funk, soul, and R&B.
Hip Hop won't save anything. You can't fake the funk.

Yeah, if the master tapes for "2 Princes" fell eternally down a black hole, never to be destroyed, but never to be heard again, I would "Clink" a beer with you.Clink a beer with me anyway. :cool:

sergiodeblanc
07-30-2012, 10:52 AM
"Clink"

11top
07-30-2012, 08:06 PM
Almost anything played on Sirius radio Coffee House. My wife has that in her car, and I nearly gag listening to David Gray, Jack Johnson, Natalie Merchant, etc., etc.

hippietim
08-01-2012, 09:47 AM
Blister In The Sun
Layla
Sweet Home Alabama
Old Time Rock and Roll

Anything by Nirvana, Submlime, Def Leppard, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Kings of Leon

Any Metallica after Master of Puppets

RedGuitars
08-01-2012, 02:19 PM
"Everything from the Hip hop community"?!!?? Surely you jest.

I see you, and raise you the Beatles, Eagles, and Bob Dylan.... and Guns-n-Roses.

Surely you jest.

sergiodeblanc
08-01-2012, 02:33 PM
Surely you jest.

I do, about the Beatles.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
08-01-2012, 02:43 PM
I've been singing "No More Walks In The Woods" in my head all day. I lovez me some Eagles.

sergiodeblanc
08-01-2012, 03:01 PM
hippy.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
08-01-2012, 03:41 PM
hippy.
I'll have you know that I have never worn patchouli a day in my life.

andy474x
08-01-2012, 04:23 PM
Anything by Coldplay, Fergie and/or Black Eyed Peas (especially their crime against humanity of a halftime show at the Super Bowl), Kesha, Sean Paul (most annoying voice I've ever heard and never understood), Avril Lavigne, Give Me Everything by Pitbull, Dynamite by Taio Cruz, and any other song that proclaims anything to the effect of "I was like uhh" or "throw your hands in the air" and similar nonsense. Free Falling by Tom Petty, and +1 for whoever previously mentioned all the one-hit-wonder rap and R&B artists. WHEW. Bad thread for me to even open, I live directly above the most popular bar in my area of Boston and let me tell you, I've heard a few songs more than once, pounding through my walls...

Also, "Your Body is a Wonderland" by John Mayer, but I do love all his stuff since Continuum, and he probably never would've gotten where he is without that song... well played John. Well played.

Goldtop
08-01-2012, 04:51 PM
Anything by Coldplay, Fergie and/or Black Eyed Peas (especially their crime against humanity of a halftime show at the Super Bowl), Kesha, Sean Paul (most annoying voice I've ever heard and never understood), Avril Lavigne, Give Me Everything by Pitbull, Dynamite by Taio Cruz, and any other song that proclaims anything to the effect of "I was like uhh" or "throw your hands in the air" and similar nonsense.

Yes, yes, YES! Total agreement here.

Goldtop

andy474x
08-01-2012, 08:07 PM
Thanks Goldtop. Ran across this just now on Facebook and couldn't resist... I think it sums things up pretty well.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8144/7694878956_981ebb9d87.jpg

sergiodeblanc
08-01-2012, 10:34 PM
I'll have you know that I have never worn patchouli a day in my life.

Granola.

veinbuster
08-02-2012, 10:58 AM
I find myself wondering how much overlap there is between this list and the top 25 albums list.

Goldtop
08-02-2012, 11:15 AM
Thanks Goldtop. Ran across this just now on Facebook and couldn't resist... I think it sums things up pretty well.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8144/7694878956_981ebb9d87.jpg

Does it ever! Beautiful! Thanks for posting that.

Goldtop

LSchefman
08-02-2012, 11:53 AM
Does it ever! Beautiful! Thanks for posting that.

Goldtop

Well, then again there was, "How Much Is That Doggy In The Window," "Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini," "Rag Mop," "Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer," and other such classics that charted during the Sinatra years. And um...he didn't write his own lyrics. ;)

We tend to look back with rose-colored glasses at the "good old days." Fact is, there's always been good stuff (still is) and there's always been junk.

And no one ever agrees on which is which..

tabl10s
09-08-2012, 02:17 AM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ;17713']I had a nice date with the wife this evening but the bar was playing the WORST music.

It got us thinking about songs or even artists we wish we could "never EVER hear again."

On my list:
2 Princes - Spin Doctors
Walking on the Sun - Smash Mouth
How Bizarre - OMC
Pretty much everything from the Hip hop community

What would you delete forever if you had the power?

I like Two Princes. HATE...Jewel! YUCK. Beck, Danzig(and associated garbage acts of that genre), Bjork, The Cranberries, 10,000 Maniacs and U2, David Bowie(especially "Dancing In The Streets" w/Mick Jagger) Pinball Wizard, anything by Jethro Tull, a lot of '80's garbage, The Band, Black Magic Woman/Oya Como Va, Cocaine.

docbennett
09-08-2012, 08:02 AM
Anything by Neil Young that has Nicolette Larson, Pearl Jam, the Blue Notes or a CD title with the words "Prairie" or "Harvest Moon" in it. :o

Which, truth be told.....and in all fairness...only represents about 1/1,000 of his catalog. Neil's Rockin' in the free World! Like a Hurricane!! :)

Em7
09-08-2012, 08:51 AM
Let's start with several bar band standards.

Keep Your Hands to Yourself
Gimme Three Steps
Play The Funky Music
Brown Eyed Girl
Old Time Rock and Roll

Let's add anything by the Foo Fighters (I want the money and the forty-eight minutes of my life back that I wasted on "Wasting Light"), Nirvana, all hip-hop (which isn't technically music because it does not contain harmony or melody), pretty boy Nashville pop, and 99% of the heavier rock that has been recorded since 2000. I like Tim's idea of retiring CCR and Def Leppard. However, Def Leppard is one of my wife's favorite bands, so I am stuck listening to their music in her car. :o

Albrecht Smuten
09-10-2012, 04:51 AM
I like Two Princes.

I like Two Princes too. (and let the stoning begin...)

Anything by Neil Young that has Nicolette Larson, Pearl Jam, the Blue Notes or a CD title with the words "Prairie" or "Harvest Moon" in it. :o

I was under the impression it was Neil Young who destroyed Pearl Jam's carrier, inspiring them to be folkier and folkier, so now we have Eddie Vedder playing the ukulele on his solo album. Scary.

Back to the subject, I hate almost everything that smells like mainstream (the Coldplay mentioned above are driving me crazy), but at the same time I love pop passages in extreme metal...
And Gotye's "Somebody that I used to know" is making me wanna tear my head off. Or anyone's head, doesn't matter.

Albrecht Smuten
09-21-2012, 06:31 AM
Man, I hate Chris Cornell's cover of "Billie Jean"...

james
09-21-2012, 07:50 AM
just about every post in this thread made me go http://moviecriticassassins.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Shocked-Beavis-and-Butthead....jpg

slowro
09-21-2012, 12:16 PM
Anything from that scumbag woman beater Chris Brown
I really detest that man and I don't think he should be enjoying fame and fortune. If we deleted his songs then he would be broke and then if he beats another woman he would get treated like anyone else would