PDA

View Full Version : Kennedy-Tremonti Dueling PRSi

slev
07-30-2012, 05:50 PM
Anybody seen this yet? Great PRS battle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P03NKUqByoQ&feature=related

cjmwrx
07-30-2012, 06:03 PM
NOTHING sounds like a PRS balls out through a Mesa! FTW

Shawn@PRS
07-30-2012, 08:02 PM
That brought a smile to my face. Thank you!

Rodicus
07-30-2012, 08:13 PM
Wailin'!!!

themike
07-30-2012, 09:18 PM
NOTHING sounds like a PRS balls out through a Mesa! FTW

I'd hardly count Mark's rig as "Mesa" - maybe 1/30th Mesa unless you are only talking about cabinets hahaha

solacematt
07-30-2012, 09:40 PM
I'd hardly count Mark's rig as "Mesa" - maybe 1/30th Mesa unless you are only talking about cabinets hahaha

The core of his distorted sound has always been a Rectifier. He only started adding in the Two-Rock and RK100 this past year.

bluefade
07-30-2012, 09:48 PM
MOUNTAIN...album/FLOWERS OF EVIL...song/DREAM SEQUENCE great players can make any guitar sound good!!!!

Michael B
07-31-2012, 06:35 AM
Mark uses the mesa for rythym only....and he needs a bogner with it ...leads are on a voodoo and his new Bludotone

slev
07-31-2012, 11:06 AM
This one is great for a rundown of his current rig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9O0SBskwys

Is that a Ubershall in the bottom of the rack?

The thing I like most about him is that he is obviously a tone fanatic. He's basically using 5 different amps including a Fender for his cleans. I love my Mesa but if I could afford it I'd have a rig like his. Lot's of amps for lots of different tones.

Blackbird
07-31-2012, 11:34 AM
The thing I like most about him is that he is obviously a tone fanatic. He's basically using 5 different amps including a Fender for his cleans. I love my Mesa but if I could afford it I'd have a rig like his. Lot's of amps for lots of different tones.

Yep, I saw he was endorsing Fractal now too. I'm very tempted to sell some tubes and give the AxeFxII a shot.

cjmwrx
07-31-2012, 12:56 PM

I'm sorry, but I would consider an entire line of Mesa cabs as more than 1/30th of the sound. Maybe that's just me.

And besides that, who says I wasn't talking about Myles? :p He's all Mark V and Roadster. Not nearly as good as Mark, but he has a great sound himself.

In either case, yes I am a Mesa Fanboy. I love me some Mesa.

themike
07-31-2012, 01:33 PM
I'm sorry, but I would consider an entire line of Mesa cabs as more than 1/30th of the sound. Maybe that's just me.

And besides that, who says I wasn't talking about Myles? :p He's all Mark V and Roadster. Not nearly as good as Mark, but he has a great sound himself.

In either case, yes I am a Mesa Fanboy. I love me some Mesa.

Last time I saw Miles he was using all Diezel - and I said "unless you are talking about cabinets"

:P

And for the record I love Mesa! <3

Michael B
07-31-2012, 07:24 PM
Yup....Myles used Diezel on that tour

solacematt
08-02-2012, 12:49 AM
Last time I saw Miles he was using all Diezel - and I said "unless you are talking about cabinets"

:P

And for the record I love Mesa! <3

Myles said he started using Diezel amps when they began to tour ABIII so that his sound could be more differentiated from Mark's mainly Mesa sound (at the time). For most of his career though, Mark's sound, especially his distorted tone, has been derived from the Rectifier. Amps he has added in such as the Bogner and Two Rock he brought out in '10, the Fractal last year, and the Bludotone this year as he had to wait over a year to get it. The Two-Rock by the way is a custom amp for him.

Em7
08-03-2012, 04:37 PM
It should come as no surprise that Myles Kennedy is a much more accomplished guitarist than Mark Tremonti. Myles had to "dumb down" his technique to fit into the Alter Bridge format.

Here's what Myles Kennedy could do in the early nineties:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X13Bb772UWY&playnext=1&list=PLF03C33D8158F3251&feature=results_main

solacematt
08-03-2012, 09:50 PM
It should come as no surprise that Myles Kennedy is a much more accomplished guitarist than Mark Tremonti. Myles had to "dumb down" his technique to fit into the Alter Bridge format.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X13Bb772UWY&playnext=1&list=PLF03C33D8158F3251&feature=results_main

...most of One Day Remains was already written prior to Myles entering the band. The second album was more of an actual collaborative effort. It doesn't matter how great a musician you are, if you can't write a great song period, your odds of actual success won't most likely will not come. Myles previous band, The Mayfield Four didn't really go anywhere. Obviously he wasn't that great a songwriter, and his band was out at a time when great songs were being recognized, not musicianship. The only people who really care about technical proficiency are the people who play, or try to play that way.

Em7
08-04-2012, 05:14 PM
...most of One Day Remains was already written prior to Myles entering the band. The second album was more of an actual collaborative effort. It doesn't matter how great a musician you are, if you can't write a great song period, your odds of actual success won't most likely will not come. Myles previous band, The Mayfield Four didn't really go anywhere. Obviously he wasn't that great a songwriter, and his band was out at a time when great songs were being recognized, not musicianship. The only people who really care about technical proficiency are the people who play, or try to play that way.

Hopefully, you noticed that I said, "much more accomplished guitarist," not "better songwriter."

Mark Tremonti's success can attributed to being in a band that had a singer than sounded like Eddie Vedder and writing music that vaguely sounded like STP. Alter Bridge is a niche band compared to Creed.

scott7d
08-04-2012, 10:39 PM
I thought Myles had better note selection, tone, and style :cool:

vchizzle
08-19-2012, 11:56 AM
I always like the duel - have seen it live and it's fun to watch.

Hopefully, you noticed that I said, "much more accomplished guitarist," not "better songwriter."

Mark Tremonti's success can attributed to being in a band that had a singer than sounded like Eddie Vedder and writing music that vaguely sounded like STP. Alter Bridge is a niche band compared to Creed.
STP? Really.....

I love Myles as a guitarist, perhaps more than Tremonti at some levels. But really, there is nothing there that Mark couldn't grasp. Poor example if you're trying to prove a point.

Jhenri
08-20-2012, 04:02 AM
They are both insanely talented musicians. Mark and even Slash will admit the that knowledge and theory wise Myles is better than they are. Truth be told Myles has one of the best vibrato techniques ever. Having said that Myles and Mark have two different styles that compliment each other beautifully when it comes to AB songs. But you can't compare them in an all out match because they are so different They both praise each other and both tend to believe in playing for the music instead of just showing off, so no Myles is not dumbing down his playing.

Blackbird
08-20-2012, 09:24 AM
Mark Tremonti's success can attributed to being in a band that had a singer than sounded like Eddie Vedder and writing music that vaguely sounded like STP.

Well, that was a decade ago. He's had a very successful band since then, without either of the 'characteristics' you described above.(STP?LOL) What can you attribute his current success to?

Alter Bridge is a niche band compared to Creed.

Interesting....exactly what niche are they apart of?

MojoPin
08-24-2012, 09:05 AM

I think it's a bit unfair to say he's not a great songwriter - 'Second Skin' by The Mayfield Four is easily in my top 5 albums of all time - it's absolutely stunning, filled with gutsy, heartfelt tunes and some very tasty (but not show-off) guitar playing. Each to their own and all that, but just because someone doesn't make it big doesn't mean that 'obviously' they weren't good enough a songwriter.

I'm just glad he finally found success after all that hard work, and hope his solo album isn't too far off. I'm still holding out on PRS producing a Myles Kennedy signature model - I'd buy one in a heartbeat, for sure. As well as being a great musician Myles also has a really good ear for finding the right tone, and I'd love to see how that would be translated into a signature guitar!

Bernardini
09-19-2012, 11:08 AM
prs+diezel amps are in the 90% of the modern rock records...killer combination, and yes! i am using prs and diezel amps....:flute: