PDA

View Full Version : Hog or Coco?

gear_freak
08-26-2012, 07:52 AM
Hey PRS Acoustic owners. When you were deciding on which wood (mahogany or cocobolo), what made you choose one over the other? Thanks.

LSchefman
08-27-2012, 10:40 AM
The coco sounds absolutely magnificent, and if you go that way, you get an adirondack top with it. The combination is truly sublime.

I have nothing against the 'hog. It's great, too. But the coco is capable of wonderful tone. Just my 2 cents.

Quake17
08-27-2012, 12:40 PM
I bought my Tonare June of last year, Coco and Euro spruce. i was so impressed that I picked up a Mahogany and Euro Spruce Tonare the next month. Typical difference between rosewood and mahogany tones and they cover the tonal palette extremely well for my tastes.
Being brain damaged, I picked up another Tonare in Cocobolo and Adirondack a couple of months ago, but it has the electronics and the Celtic inlyas so is TOTALLY different!

CHARISMAFIRE
08-27-2012, 02:00 PM
If its dripping with BBQ sauce I prefer the HOG, but if you melt some of those little baby marshmallows in it I go for the COCO!!! ( Ha,Ha ) But seriously, musical tastes are as subjective as tastes in food. Some people love brussel sprouts, while others don't. Although both sound nice, the cocobolo backed gtrs seemed to have a less ridged tone that sort of wraps around the ears in a big warm embrace, while the mahogany seemed to come boldly up to your face and kiss you in a very direct kind of way. The cocobolo is generally prettier, however some of that figured mahogany is just stunning. For what its worth, personally, I like the coco.....( with tiny marshmallows!!! )

gear_freak
08-28-2012, 08:24 AM
Thanks for all the input guys, I appreciate it. I am leaning towards Coco, but will need to try both configurations to see what suites my taste in each model.

Quake17, I would not say brain damaged. Just need to cover all your bases!!! :-D

LSchefman
08-28-2012, 05:53 PM
One thing I forgot to mention is that the cocobolo has a slightly brighter sound (at least I think so) than IRW. It's rich sounding, yet very detailed. I think it's a great choice with the type of construction the guitars have, as they tend to emphasize every overtones in a note in a beautiful way.

gear_freak
08-30-2012, 09:08 AM
Thanks Les!

JMintzer
08-30-2012, 08:14 PM
I have an all mahogany Tonare. I'll bring it with me, if anyone staying at the Hilton Gardens wants to give it a try...

Jamie

vchizzle
09-18-2012, 09:31 AM
I have an all mahogany Tonare. I'll bring it with me, if anyone staying at the Hilton Gardens wants to give it a try...

Jamie
That guitar was INCREDIBLE. I should've played it longer, I didn't want to HOG it though:D
Nice to meet you Jaime.

11top
09-18-2012, 12:59 PM
I have an all mahogany, figured to death, Tonare. I'll bring it with me, if anyone staying at the Hilton Gardens wants to give it a try...

Jamie

Fixed it for ya Dr. J. BTW, it's a KILLA guitar!