PDA

View Full Version : Exercise routine

Shawn@PRS
08-31-2012, 07:23 PM
So I find I need to exercise more than I used to, just to maintain a healthy weight. I try to watch what I eat and walk 5-6 days a week. I'm not much of a runner, so I walk instead. I have to do something so my butt doesn't look fat in those jeans.

What exercise/diet routines do you guys follow?

Mikegarveyblues
08-31-2012, 07:39 PM
I'm 35 in a few months and i've noticed a definate slowdown the past couple of years. I'm still overweight but i've found dieting doesn't work because like most who diet it gets piled back on when I fall back into the old routine. I've had to make - and continue to make lifestyle changes.

I've never been into weights or jogging / running or going to a gym. I love cycling and swimming though. I think that's one of the keys to exercise... You've got to enjoy it!

Food wise i've cut out as many high fat and high sugar foods as I can and save the grease as treats. Hard going though... The bad stuff tastes so good!

Buildermike
08-31-2012, 07:54 PM
Hockey, you have a couple of rinks going either east or west of the factory. Biking is another option and your surrounding area is relatively flat which is a plus.

LSchefman
08-31-2012, 08:10 PM
I was a runner for a long time, but my knees finally gave out now that I'm -ahem- OLD, so I walk. I've started watching my diet carefully (avoiding glycemic loads) and I actually seem to be taking off some weight. Wooo!

Shawn@PRS
08-31-2012, 08:13 PM
I'm 35 in a few months and i've noticed a definate slowdown the past couple of years. I'm still overweight but i've found dieting doesn't work because like most who diet it gets piled back on when I fall back into the old routine. I've had to make - and continue to make lifestyle changes.

I've never been into weights or jogging / running or going to a gym. I love cycling and swimming though. I think that's one of the keys to exercise... You've got to enjoy it!

Food wise i've cut out as many high fat and high sugar foods as I can and save the grease as treats. Hard going though... The bad stuff tastes so good!

I'm with you Mike, I'm not "dieting" I'm making lifestyle changes. I've never been into fast food so that isn't a problem, but I am trying to cut out some processed foods, junk carbs and my beloved pasta. (I have an Italian mother, how can I not love pasta?) I've been walking with my wife which allows us some one on one time which busy couples rarely get. Anyway, I'm feeling good and I'm loosing weight!

Oh yeah, a few beers on weekends only, but no alcohol during he week.

markie
08-31-2012, 08:15 PM
I am just naturally thin, but muscular mind you. I guess I'm just lucky to have the perfect metabolism :cool:

Shawn@PRS
08-31-2012, 08:16 PM
Good for you Les!

They say walking burns as many calories as running. I don't know if that is true, but "they" say it anyway.

I was a runner for a long time, but my knees finally gave out now that I'm -ahem- OLD, so I walk. I've started watching my diet carefully (avoiding glycemic loads) and I actually seem to be taking off some weight. Wooo!

Mike Duncan
08-31-2012, 08:18 PM
Just hit 39....I have cut out all fast food, trying to limit Cokes, and down to an Oreo a day. I've started doing the red wine thing at night, fish oil, and a multi vitamin. And last, but not least, I go biking for 30 minutes or more a day....just a little under seven miles a day. I got a good scare at my physical with the threat of cancer. Time to straighten up and fly right for me.

Shawn@PRS
08-31-2012, 08:29 PM
That's not cool Mike, is everything OK?

Just hit 39....I have cut out all fast food, trying to limit Cokes, and down to an Oreo a day. I've started doing the red wine thing at night, fish oil, and a multi vitamin. And last, but not least, I go biking for 30 minutes or more a day....just a little under seven miles a day. I got a good scare at my physical with the threat of cancer. Time to straighten up and fly right for me.

CE-man
08-31-2012, 09:02 PM
I've never had a weight problem but I lead an active lifestyle. Mike Garvey said it best, find some activity you enjoy and you'll never exercise again, you'll simply be having fun.

admin
08-31-2012, 09:02 PM
How do you feel about spandex?

markie
08-31-2012, 09:25 PM
How do you feel about spandex?

I still Gig in spandex :confused:

Dirty Bob
08-31-2012, 10:22 PM
i'm turning 34 in october...with two very active kids i feel a hell of a lot older than that...not like when I was 18 anymore. I've always been pretty active in my workouts....back in school ...i ran track, hurdled, swam, baseball, etc...unspecified hip injury at the time slowed me down. Once i recovered I Got into weight lifting in a big way....worked pretty well for 11 or 12 years until I reaggraveted my hip and then some with a pretty brutal injury after i started running again. After a year trying to figure out what was wrong Docs at Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC finally figured it out(they are THE BEST)... was either serious Physical Therapy or surgery and Physical therapy.. Injury second time around took over a Year and a half of my life....Avoided surgery so far but have worked my ass off for over eight months in PT...focusing on core strength, flexibility, and functional strength and agility. Free weights, swimming, all sorts of core strength plyometrics, isometrics, and something that really helped me...TRX suspension training...very cool stuff. In addition to the PT facility... I have a workout room/gym in my home with my PT stuff, Bench, PowerBlocks, and a TRX setup...i still need to get an elliptical. (treadmills are the worst thing in the world for my hip). I try to do at least 45 minutes to an hour and 15 minutes a day...if I don't....hip pain comes roaring back.

nik
08-31-2012, 10:26 PM
I haven't made the jump to stick with it myself, but I work around a lot of guys that eat in a 'paleo' manner for lack of a better term. They basically are avoiding anything processed and for exercise they are doing a crossfit program. Robb Wolf's name comes up a lot in those converstations. So like i say I haven't gotten myself to stick to it but I've seen impressive results in other folks doing it.

Dirty Bob
08-31-2012, 10:28 PM

Mike...hope all is well and everything is ok.

Dirty Bob
08-31-2012, 10:31 PM

Yeah...and bunny slippers...while shredding on a Dragon...from what I've been able to gather!

And you make it look good!

Mike Duncan
08-31-2012, 10:44 PM
Couple more tests to be run...things are honestly looking pretty good. Thanks for the comments!

The doctor who did the physical (work physical) just kinda dropped that on me - quick freak out and on to my doctor.

Dirty Bob
08-31-2012, 10:54 PM
Couple more tests to be run...things are honestly looking pretty good. Thanks for the comments!

The doctor who did the physical (work physical) just kinda dropped that on me - quick freak out and on to my doctor.

Glad to hear it...mojo sent your way!

Proxmax
09-01-2012, 01:29 AM

cool, got pics? :eek:

Albrecht Smuten
09-01-2012, 04:12 AM
I have the opposite problem... I was so skinny that my immunity went weak and my health fragile, so now I'm trying to eat more and exercise to build some muscles. Mostly pull ups and push ups, but not exactly every day, because I have some discipline issues =)

Albrecht Smuten
09-01-2012, 04:17 AM
Good for you Les!

They say walking burns as many calories as running. I don't know if that is true, but "they" say it anyway.

Might be true as long as you walk the same distance as you would run =D

Michael B
09-01-2012, 07:25 AM
I pop my ipod on and try to ride the mountain bike a couple times a week for at least 10 miles a ride. Trails and pavement, ride hard thru the woods and ride easy on pavement catching my breath...till I see a hot jogger :) . Try to stay away from fast food but have some pizza on fridays..lol love pizza! Had a stroke 8 yearsago and I'm only 45 so I got a big wakeup call!! Used to smoke ciggs and ate crap all the time...the change in food alone I started loosing weight!! Just gotta eat right and keep moving!! and stay away from soda...another treat I like!!

gear_freak
09-01-2012, 07:57 AM
Hey Shawn. Do you go to the gym? Or is this something you want to accomplish outside of that environment? My wife is a personal trainer and I'll see if she can offer some advice or a training program.

markie
09-01-2012, 11:11 AM
cool, got pics? :eek:

unfortunately not :D

markie
09-01-2012, 11:12 AM
Yeah...and bunny slippers...while shredding on a Dragon...from what I've been able to gather!

And you make it look good!

The Bunny Slippers were a gift from Murali.............. Really :cool:

veinbuster
09-01-2012, 01:11 PM
Not long after I started working in an office I found I couldn't eat quite as much as when I was younger and more active. I switched to this diet: eat whatever I want for breakfast, whatever I want for lunch and whatever I want for dinner - but nothing else. In recent years I've found I have to convince myself that I don't want much for lunch.

As far as exercise, I ride a bicycle a decent amount and do weight training with modest weights. I probably due some kind of exercise 5-6 times a week.

Shawn@PRS
09-01-2012, 03:39 PM
A buddy of mine is into the Crossfit thing and he swears by it. He has lost weight and looks great. I'm no going with the full-on paleo diet, but I've certainly cut back on my carb intake.
I'd rather not join a gym or club because I like exercising on my own schedule.

themike
09-01-2012, 04:13 PM
A buddy of mine is into the Crossfit thing and he swears by it. He has lost weight and looks great. I'm no going with the full-on paleo diet, but I've certainly cut back on my carb intake.
I'd rather not join a gym or club because I like exercising on my own schedule.

You could always take on an extra job at the factory and replace the fork lift when wood shipments come in

http://www.irishrugby.ie/images/news/MichaelSwiftConnacht_log.jpg

justmund
09-01-2012, 06:17 PM
I'm turning 35 soon and have never had an issue with keeping fat off for until the past couple of years. I've got into the whole paleo/primal thing and having great results. Mark Sisson has a great book (The Primal Blueprint) and blog (www.marksdailyapple.com), and is basically a lifestyle plan rather then diet and exercise. It says to avoid grains and sugars, eat organic when possible, embrace saturated fats, move slowly often (e.g. walking), lift heavy things a couple times a week, do sprints once a week, have play time, sleep lots etc. I'm well on my way to being "fat adapted" and have effortly lost about 15lb in 10 weeks. It's not 100% strict and allows for lapses from time to time.

It focuses on glycemic load and insulin response, cholesterol etc which is obviously important for long health, and I'm finding it fascinating to learn about.

Highly recommend the book and blog, I've got more energy than before, dropping weight like nothing else and feel great.

Alpha
09-02-2012, 01:54 AM
I lost around 50 lbs across 2 years without working out too much. The biggest help for me was to stop eating out and cooking most of my meals. This allowed me to control portions and keep an eye on ingredients. There were a couple of times where my weight plateaued for weeks, I got hung up at 200 lbs and it took well over a month to break through that barrier. I thought my scale was broken or intentionally messing with me! Recently I picked up a set of used powerblocks to help build up some muscle to help me get rid of the last 10 amazingly stubborn pounds.

Just be sure to allow yourself some wiggle room so you can enjoy the things you like, or you can find yourself annihilating a bag of cookies in record time. I have learned to make a pretty mean pizza from scratch to help keep the pizza monster away.

Alpha
09-02-2012, 01:59 AM
I'm turning 35 soon and have never had an issue with keeping fat off for until the past couple of years. I've got into the whole paleo/primal thing and having great results. Mark Sisson has a great book (The Primal Blueprint) and blog (www.marksdailyapple.com), and is basically a lifestyle plan rather then diet and exercise. It says to avoid grains and sugars, eat organic when possible, embrace saturated fats, move slowly often (e.g. walking), lift heavy things a couple times a week, do sprints once a week, have play time, sleep lots etc. I'm well on my way to being "fat adapted" and have effortly lost about 15lb in 10 weeks. It's not 100% strict and allows for lapses from time to time.

It focuses on glycemic load and insulin response, cholesterol etc which is obviously important for long health, and I'm finding it fascinating to learn about.

Highly recommend the book and blog, I've got more energy than before, dropping weight like nothing else and feel great.I think that looks really interesting! It just makes sense to use your body in the way it was intended to be used. Thanks for the link!

Mike Duncan
09-02-2012, 08:02 AM
Don't bike with headphones on!! Dangerous...and usually illegal! But more on the very dangerous side!

Boogie
09-02-2012, 09:10 AM
A big lesson to take away from this thread is to respect your joints! More than a couple of us here were a little too over indulgent in our younger years and have destroyed our hips and/or knees. PAY ATTENTION to what your doctor says and let things properly heal if you make a mistake. Of course, avoid falling out of moving car windows at 40 MPH and don't go insani-skiing at Alta at age 40 with a bunch of pros, or insist on running marathons after the doctor tells you NOT to. You will regret it. And contrary to popular belief, you are not invincible. Walks with the wife and dog are a great way to keep fit. :cool:

And Markie looks HOT in spandex. :o

justmund
09-02-2012, 07:20 PM
I think that looks really interesting! It just makes sense to use your body in the way it was intended to be used. Thanks for the link!

agree, it makes sense we evolved for millions of years on meat, eggs, nuts etc but only in the last 10,000 years have we had access to lots of grains through agriculture. It's not just digestion/insulin response too, but apparently grains have "anti-nutrients" (things that interfere with our absorption of nutrients). I don't want to bang on too much about this, but here's the intro http://cdn.marksdailyapple.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/PrimalBlueprintIntro.pdf which again, I highly recommend reading. If you want to know more, then subscribe on his site, you get some cool links and he sends you some daily lessons which are also great.

On the joints thing, I've also been trying to get into the minimalist shoe thing. I over did it about 6 months back and got a stress fracture in my foot... I have been reading a book by Barefoot Ken Bob Saxton (mentioned in "Born to Run", fantastic book!) and his way of running is almost zero impact. Sounds weird I know, but by using your feet as a gauge (he says you MUST go barefoot), bending your legs lots, leading with the hips, relaxing your calves, curling your toes for a ball-toes-heel strike, keeping upper body straight, head up etc, you can run and run without injury, yes even on hard surfaces and rocky trails! Here's a quote from Daniel E. Lieberman (professor of human evolutionary biology at Harvard):

“By landing on the middle or front of the foot, barefoot runners have almost no impact collision, much less than most shod runners generate when they heel-strike"

I went for a quick run the other day attempting to use the barefoot technique and had no problems the next day, will do more and more in the coming months and see how it goes...

garrett
09-06-2012, 08:58 AM
Go cycling. Repeat. I enjoy it because I'm outdoors and going somewhere, rather than sweating in a gym indoors. It becomes an experience rather than a chore. But basically find anything you find enjoyable, something you'll want to do and not just feel obligated to do.

Adjusting your diet goes a long way. Whole grains, nuts, fuits and veggies, lean protein, limit processed foods. The stuff your body is designed to eat. ;) I've been amazed at how much better I feel and how much more energy I have when I eat right. Same or less calorie intake compared to when I ate junk, but much better return.

ronalr
09-06-2012, 03:37 PM
I am gonna get taller... then the weight will redistribute ....I am with you Shawn...have started walking about 4 times a week for about 3 miles each day.... and have cut out sweets...while I am trying to lose I am only eating a non fat yogurt for breakfast and fruit for lunch then a regular dinner and nothing after.....

At 62 my Dr says I am in great health but must lose weight!!!!

"nobody loves a fat man ...but oh how a fat man can love"

Ron

justmund
09-06-2012, 08:25 PM
Adjusting your diet goes a long way. Whole grains, nuts, fuits and veggies, lean protein, limit processed foods. The stuff your body is designed to eat. ;)

I am only eating a non fat yogurt for breakfast and fruit for lunch then a regular dinner and nothing after.....

From what I've been reading (and perhaps I should start with a caveat that I've definitely drunk the kool-aid on this stuff, not that I would ever actually drink kool-aid, or have that stuff in Aus), whole grains aren't that good for you (we weren't designed to eat them, since agriculture has been around a very small percentage of our evolution) and low-fat/non-fat products aren't much chop either. Have a read as Mark Sisson can explain it (and back it up with links) way better than I can:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-agriculture-ruined-your-health-and-what-to-do-about-it/

I do believe 100% in this stuff, I've embraced full-fat foods, dropped grains/carbs/sugar and having amazing results. As I said, I don't want to bang on too much about it, but my intentions are just to share this way of thinking as I believe everyone can have similar results through an easy change in diet and more understanding of cause/effect of the things we eat.

garrett
09-06-2012, 09:37 PM
From what I've been reading (and perhaps I should start with a caveat that I've definitely drunk the kool-aid on this stuff, not that I would ever actually drink kool-aid, or have that stuff in Aus), whole grains aren't that good for you (we weren't designed to eat them, since agriculture has been around a very small percentage of our evolution) and low-fat/non-fat products aren't much chop either. Have a read as Mark Sisson can explain it (and back it up with links) way better than I can:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-agriculture-ruined-your-health-and-what-to-do-about-it/

I do believe 100% in this stuff, I've embraced full-fat foods, dropped grains/carbs/sugar and having amazing results. As I said, I don't want to bang on too much about it, but my intentions are just to share this way of thinking as I believe everyone can have similar results through an easy change in diet and more understanding of cause/effect of the things we eat.

Yeah, the low fat/non fat business is generally bad news, unless it's a temporary thing to reduce fat as part of getting in shape. Your body needs that fat. Non-fat yogurt (especially strained) can be a great source of protein though, just as long as it's made with skim milk and not fillers, and isn't loaded with sugar.

True we're not really built for grains, but things like oats and whole wheat are valuable in the diet, just not in the extreme proportions the modern human diet usually involves. Kudos on kicking the sugar. I've reduced mine greatly compared to old times, but I still end up feeding my sweet tooth regularly.

Proper eating is really something that should be taught to kids in school. The science of how the body uses fuel is pretty fascinating and clearly has very practical applications.

Alpha
09-07-2012, 02:18 AM
Yeah, the low fat/non fat business is generally bad news, unless it's a temporary thing to reduce fat as part of getting in shape. Your body needs that fat. Non-fat yogurt (especially strained) can be a great source of protein though, just as long as it's made with skim milk and not fillers, and isn't loaded with sugar.

True we're not really built for grains, but things like oats and whole wheat are valuable in the diet, just not in the extreme proportions the modern human diet usually involves. Kudos on kicking the sugar. I've reduced mine greatly compared to old times, but I still end up feeding my sweet tooth regularly.

Proper eating is really something that should be taught to kids in school. The science of how the body uses fuel is pretty fascinating and clearly has very practical applications.

I was listening to a podcast yesterday that talked about genetically altered wheat acting like an opiate... lol... no wonder I love my pizza!

http://beforeitsnews.com/food-and-farming/2012/09/genetic-modification-turned-wheat-into-opium-poison-addictive-synthetic-protein-stimulates-appetite-2444384.html

Drew
09-07-2012, 06:52 AM
As an avid distance runner, mountaineer, & backpacker, exercise is something near and dear to me. I used to be non-active until my mid 20's. Then the doctor told me I was going to have to go on blood pressure lowering drugs and that's when it all changed for me. I've been reading through the posts and I'm going to add some of my own personal insight and expertise.

1) On the issue of reducing carbs, forget it. Eat what comes naturally to you without consciously limiting certain intakes. I'm not saying there should be total indiscretion. Obviously, fast food and soda should be moderated... but... out of the normal food spectrum you should just eat what you want. People who limit certain things such as carbs often have insatiable cravings that are never satisfied. This means actually eating more of other things and more total calories in the long run.

2) Forget the walking. I don't want to offend anyone but walking as a form of exercise is a complete waste of time. Walking does not get your heart rate to levels that have any cardio benefit whatsover. It also burns very minimal calories. It's been proven that running the same distance actually burns more calories... not to mention taking far less time. Vigorous exercise not only burns more calories in a shorter time but it activates several healthy processes in your body that have medicinal and metabolic benefits. Every time you exercise hard, your metabolism spikes, meaning you'll keep burning extra calories for sometimes hours after the exercise is completed. Weight training and running are 2 things that will spike ones metabolism for an extended period of time.

Blackbird
09-07-2012, 08:35 AM
As an avid distance runner, mountaineer, & backpacker, exercise is something near and dear to me. I used to be non-active until my mid 20's. Then the doctor told me I was going to have to go on blood pressure lowering drugs and that's when it all changed for me. I've been reading through the posts and I'm going to add some of my own personal insight and expertise.

1) On the issue of reducing carbs, forget it. Eat what comes naturally to you without consciously limiting certain intakes. I'm not saying there should be total indiscretion. Obviously, fast food and soda should be moderated... but... out of the normal food spectrum you should just eat what you want. People who limit certain things such as carbs often have insatiable cravings that are never satisfied. This means actually eating more of other things and more total calories in the long run.

2) Forget the walking. I don't want to offend anyone but walking as a form of exercise is a complete waste of time. Walking does not get your heart rate to levels that have any cardio benefit whatsover. It also burns very minimal calories. It's been proven that running the same distance actually burns more calories... not to mention taking far less time. .

I have to respectfully disagree with your points here. I'm sure they were well intended, but extremely generalized nonetheless. Limiting bad carbs is a very good tip for many people, especially ones that cannot plan their meals out, end up eating later at night, or are not able to exercise consistently. The issue of bad carbs vs. good carbs is admittedly a constant debate and can vary from person to person. But the idea of just "eating what you want" can't be a given if there's not a check-and-balance with regard to exercise. As far as a general diet tip, portion control is the best advice I can give. Don't eat every meal until your completely stuffed, be moderate and try not to eat late at night.

Point number two is the one I disagree with more. There are lots of people that cannot exercise vigorously on a consistent basis. Walking can absolutely provide a benefit in bridging the gap between workouts. I find that walking is most beneficial to people that are confined to more sedentary lifestyles, sitting 8+ hours a day at work will take years off of your life. There are people with various injuries and maladies that prevent strenuous or exercises involving high-impact. For them, walking is one of the few things to keep them moving and prevent atrophy. Absolutely vigorous exercise is the best option, but to say walking is a "complete waste of time," is a bit short-sighted.
I have been a personal trainer for the last 9 years, and a martial artists for 26 years. Just my 2 cents :)

Drew
09-07-2012, 08:57 AM
I have to respectfully disagree with your points here. I'm sure they were well intended, but extremely generalized nonetheless. Limiting bad carbs is a very good tip for many people, especially ones that cannot plan their meals out, end up eating later at night, or are not able to exercise consistently. The issue of bad carbs vs. good carbs is admittedly a constant debate and can vary from person to person. But the idea of just "eating what you want" can't be a given if there's not a check-and-balance with regard to exercise. As far as a general diet tip, portion control is the best advice I can give. Don't eat every meal until your completely stuffed, be moderate and try not to eat late at night.

Point number two is the one I disagree with more. There are lots of people that cannot exercise vigorously on a consistent basis. Walking can absolutely provide a benefit in bridging the gap between workouts. I find that walking is most beneficial to people that are confined to more sedentary lifestyles, sitting 8+ hours a day at work will take years off of your life. There are people with various injuries and maladies that prevent strenuous or exercises involving high-impact. For them, walking is one of the few things to keep them moving and prevent atrophy. Absolutely vigorous exercise is the best option, but to say walking is a "complete waste of time," is a bit short-sighted.
I have been a personal trainer for the last 9 years, and a martial artists for 26 years. Just my 2 cents :)

You are right. Left with no other choice, walking is better than nothing. However, my points were directed to people who are not subject to limitations. With all options open, a completely healthy person who chooses to walk versus more vigorous activities is wasting their time. I'm sure as a personal trainer you are familiar with target heart rates. Walking doesn't achieve even the lowest levels of desired heart rate. If were keep the discussion to losing/maintaining weight, the person who pushes his or herself physically will have exponentially better results in the end and do it in less time.

Shawn@PRS
09-07-2012, 12:02 PM
what is the target heart rate for a cardio workout?

I prefer walking to running because it jars my joints less and I tend to pull fewer muscles. When I walk, I walk as fast as I possibley can and I'm hitting 14 minute miles for at least three miles. Granted it isn't a triathalon, but I feel like I am getting some cardio benefit from the activity and I certainly break a heavy sweat while walking.

Blackbird- what form/discipline of martial arts do you practice?

garrett
09-07-2012, 01:11 PM
You are right. Left with no other choice, walking is better than nothing. However, my points were directed to people who are not subject to limitations. With all options open, a completely healthy person who chooses to walk versus more vigorous activities is wasting their time. I'm sure as a personal trainer you are familiar with target heart rates. Walking doesn't achieve even the lowest levels of desired heart rate. If were keep the discussion to losing/maintaining weight, the person who pushes his or herself physically will have exponentially better results in the end and do it in less time.

Pushing is good--to an extent. If you go too hard and exceed the target range, your workout is not as effective. You also increse your chance of injury.

I prefer walking to running because it jars my joints less and I tend to pull fewer muscles. When I walk, I walk as fast as I possibley can and I'm hitting 14 minute miles for at least three miles. Granted it isn't a triathalon, but I feel like I am getting some cardio benefit from the activity and I certainly break a heavy sweat while walking.

Shawn, here's a good article about target heart rate: http://www.livestrong.com/article/456525-target-heart-rates-for-weight-loss/

Walking can certainly be a decent workout if you keep a brisk pace.

I think just about anything that gets you up and moving is generally a good idea!

Richard Lainegard
09-07-2012, 01:39 PM
Weight lifting (the old Titan Training program) 4days/week, and a intermittent fasting regime consisting of LeanGains on training days (www.leangains.com), and Brad Pilons EatStopEat on rest days ( www.eatstopeat.com )

Lugnuts
09-07-2012, 02:35 PM
I'm with Nik on the first page. I've been doing Paleo for 3 months now and have lost 50 lbs. I'm 32, 6'6" and used to weight 275 lbs. I'm now 225 lbs pretty consistently and I haven't really worked out. I know it's very important but I have a crazy sporadic schedule that makes consistently a challenge I have not been able to face just yet. I'm just glad I've lost weight, my asthma symptoms are gone and my joints feel like they did when I was 18.
I'm very passionate about diet but hopefully you find something that works and more importantly, you can stick with.

sweven
09-09-2012, 12:39 PM
To the original poster, been there, haven't we all, just an age thing. I'm neither vain nor obsessive, just a normal, lazy guy in his 40's, but wanting to stay healthy and get stronger slowly, and of course be able to eat (and of course drink) more.This works, just add time: http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-3rd-Mark-Rippetoe/dp/0982522738

Don't let the title put you off. He is the most plain speaking (writer) ever. Very insightful, honest, and entertaining.

Diets are great to come down towards your normal weight range but a temporary thing. From then, by overall having a balance and by doing regular weights, you'll stay strong & healthy.
Not a fan of the lean 'dehydrated' look myself, being both too lazy and genetically challenged to ever achieve that.
Remember abs on a skinny guy are like big tits on a fat chick, its a given :D

cobrafast1
09-10-2012, 08:18 PM

I know the feeling. I'm 67 years old and I walk about 2.5 miles per day in the summer and 4.5 miles in the winter. The summer heat down here in the tropics just takes too much out of me in the summer to do the 4.5 miles. I do it for two reasons. First is the weight issue. I try to eat less (sometimes unsuccessfully) and do the walking to hopefully lose some weight or at least maintain where I am. Second, I'm a heart patient. I had a heart attack back in 2003, so I try to work out each day to keep the cardiovascular system functioning properly. I also do Tae Bo exercises too to keep my joints from stiffening up. Getting old is not for the wiery, but it sure beats the alternative. My fingers get a workout each day on the fretboard... LOL

Shawn@PRS
09-30-2012, 02:39 PM
So I've been at if for about 6 weeks now. First I started walking, then walking faster, then walking longer, then started alternating between jogging and walking. I do upper body workouts mostly just using my own body weight. i.e. pull ups, sit ups, push ups, etc. I've also cleaned up my diet and cut down on alcohol consumption. I've only lost 7.5lbs (yes I am counting that half pound too), but I've gone down two belt notches and I've gained some muscle mass in my upper body and legs. The Experience was a big set back for me (two beer trucks, what's a fella to do?) but I'm back in the saddle now and feeling good.

Let's hear from some other members. Share your stories and inspire us.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
09-30-2012, 02:49 PM
I need to get off my rear and make it happen.

LSchefman
09-30-2012, 04:01 PM
Since July 20, I've lost 11 pounds.

Here's what I've been doing, plus walking:

http://lowglycemicload.com

With this diet I don't feel hungry all the time, so it's been very easy to stay on. I figure losing a little over a pound a week is a good result. There are studies that show that a faster weight loss goes back on more quickly.

My doctor is very happy with the 1.4 drop in my hemoglobin A1C.

Shawn@PRS
09-30-2012, 04:36 PM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;24182']I need to get off my rear and make it happen.

Fat bottom girls you make the rockin' world go 'round!

Shawn@PRS
09-30-2012, 04:37 PM
Since July 20, I've lost 11 pounds.

Here's what I've been doing, plus walking:

http://lowglycemicload.com

With this diet I don't feel hungry all the time, so it's been very easy to stay on. I figure losing a little over a pound a week is a good result. There are studies that show that a faster weight loss goes back on more quickly.

My doctor is very happy with the 1.4 drop in my hemoglobin A1C.

Good for you Les, I'm glad to hear it's working for you!

james
09-30-2012, 07:54 PM
Those mobile apps that count calories are a great way to keep track of daily calorie intake. Even if you only do it for a month, you'll see where your calorie expenditures come from and you can make choices accordingly.

I can easily lose a pound a day if I eat a all veggie salad for lunch with balsamic (no oil) and a lean dinner. Adult beverages are the trick. I love beer and the hardest part is trying to forget about that "hobby". I keep a 12 pack of Becks Light in the fridge when I'm dieting. 64 calories and it creates an illusion of drinking beer.

Diet alone will do it. But if you can add a form of excercise that you LIKE to your routine a few times a week, that will just act as a multiplier.

For what it's worth, people who know more than I tell me longer, low intensity efforts are more beneficial than short, intense efforts. The 30 mile bike ride at 17mph will shed more fat than a 10 miler at 20+.

Shawn@PRS
09-30-2012, 08:13 PM
One of those calorie counting apps made me realize I need to drastically cut back on my beer intake. I still love beer, but I'll only have a couple over the weekend.

This video also had a big impact on my way of thinking. I think it's pretty solid advice, just be active for 30 minutes a day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUaInS6HIGo

Chef Vincenzo
09-30-2012, 08:31 PM
I turn 48 in October, I work on my feet for 12 to 14 hours a day, back in January i was introduce to Crossfit and a modified Paleo diet. Ive always been athletic and competitive by nature, Crossfit satisfies the competitive side of my personality at the same time being able to slowly scale down their workouts until you are up to speed. Ive lost 20lbs since January and feel better mentally and physically than i have since i was in my 20's...Life changer!

BTW: CrossFit is a core strength and conditioning program.

aduayer
09-30-2012, 08:38 PM
I turn 48 in October, I work on my feet for 12 to 14 hours a day, back in January i was introduce to Crossfit and a modified Paleo diet. Ive always been athletic and competitive by nature, Crossfit satisfies the competitive side of my personality at the same time being able to slowly scale down their workouts until you are up to speed. Ive lost 20lbs since January and feel better mentally and physically than i have since i was in my 20's...Life changer!

BTW: CrossFit is a core strength and conditioning program.

Happy to hear that, Chef. I just need to start anything, but somehow, can't find the will to do it.

Chef Vincenzo
09-30-2012, 08:41 PM
Brother I hear you loud and clear man.... baby steps...both our lifestyles make it hard to be disciplined but there comes a point when you become tired of feeling like **** as we get older and you make the decision to make a change... not easy to do but when you are ready you will do it for you!

Chef Vincenzo
09-30-2012, 08:48 PM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;24182']I need to get off my rear and make it happen.

Get it ready for Cliff and Cave dwelling next summer ;-)

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
09-30-2012, 09:49 PM
Get it ready for Cliff and Cave dwelling next summer ;-)
We need to start coordinating soon, Vinnie!

http://photo.nemergut.com/gcanyon/canyon1.jpg

Chef Vincenzo
09-30-2012, 10:05 PM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;24208']We need to start coordinating soon, Vinnie!

http://photo.nemergut.com/gcanyon/canyon1.jpg

Damn Hans I'll need a pair of rubber diapeers to sleep in those caves lol.... Hey any chance ur gonna be in the NYC area soon?

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
09-30-2012, 10:08 PM
Damn Hans I'll need a pair of rubber diapeers to sleep in those caves lol.... Hey any chance ur gonna be in the NYC area soon?
You can count on it, brother. As long as "soon" is around March. :)

Dirty Bob
09-30-2012, 11:02 PM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;24210']You can count on it, brother. As long as "soon" is around March. :)

Hmmm...March...
Far enough out to potentially make plans....if you have any extra time!!!

rugerpc
10-01-2012, 07:39 AM
I'm 57, very soon to be 58. I have a pudge and love handles :( I recently changed from regular coke to Mexican coke. The difference is real sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup.

Don't let the corn lobby fool you - HFCS is EVIL. It is metabolized primarily in the liver and primarily into fat. It also has no satiety effect on thirst, in fact, some research says it actually works you in the opposite direction.

Since switching, I am down 10 lbs on a good day and I drink much less coke because it satisfies my thirst faster.

garrett
10-01-2012, 01:49 PM
So I've been at if for about 6 weeks now. First I started walking, then walking faster, then walking longer, then started alternating between jogging and walking. I do upper body workouts mostly just using my own body weight. i.e. pull ups, sit ups, push ups, etc. I've also cleaned up my diet and cut down on alcohol consumption. I've only lost 7.5lbs (yes I am counting that half pound too), but I've gone down two belt notches and I've gained some muscle mass in my upper body and legs. The Experience was a big set back for me (two beer trucks, what's a fella to do?) but I'm back in the saddle now and feeling good.

Let's hear from some other members. Share your stories and inspire us.

That's a great rate of weight loss.

Last week I started using the My Fitness Pal app/site to support my wife, who wants to lose 30 lbs. I've done calorie tracking before, and it really can open your eyes. My Fitness Pal also tracks your balance of carbs, fat and protein so you can adjust your diet accordingly. Really useful to me for watching my health, since my goal is to maintain my current weight. Having/giving support increases the chance of success.

There's nothing wrong with alcohol in moderation. Just budget it into your daily calorie intake. For example, skip the dinner roll and drink a beer instead! And remember, all the activity you do earns you extra calories. I burned at least 1000 calories cycling yesterday, which more than covers a couple of beers.

james
10-01-2012, 02:06 PM
There's nothing wrong with alcohol in moderation. Just budget it into your daily calorie intake. For example, skip the dinner roll and drink a beer instead!

That's funny, I do that all the time. I'll eat dinner and realize I have some calories left and I'll pop that 9% sugar bomb IPA.

And remember, all the activity you do earns you extra calories. I burned at least 1000 calories cycling yesterday, which more than covers a couple of beers.

A buddy of mine who is a bit of a fitness nut says that drinking that beer immediately following heavy efforts is the best time to have it. Your body will take those carbs and load you up for next time instead of just wasting them.

garrett
10-01-2012, 03:00 PM
A buddy of mine who is a bit of a fitness nut says that drinking that beer immediately following heavy efforts is the best time to have it. Your body will take those carbs and load you up for next time instead of just wasting them.

Ah yes, the "Golden Hour".

Shawn@PRS
10-03-2012, 07:20 AM
Happy to hear that, Chef. I just need to start anything, but somehow, can't find the will to do it.

Itís a very personal decision. But once you make up your mind and you spend a few weeks finding your rhythm, youíll be really happy you made the change

butterfly
10-03-2012, 09:26 AM
Yes, you have to take the first step. Once you get into a routine, you will look forward to it, and miss it when you can't work out. Mine is run outside (weather permitting) approximately 3 miles 4/5 times a week or 30 minutes on the treadmill I have at home. 20 minutes of bodyweight exercises every day in the morning to get my metabolism going. As I get older, the running takes its toll more but I enjoy it. I need that cartio metabolic workout now for stress relief and for me the movement is like a meditation period. I allow my mind to wander wherever it wants, and next thing I know, I'm finished!

JMintzer
10-03-2012, 11:21 AM
I believe in preventative exercise.

Anything I can do to prevent exercise, works for me!

Jamie

LSchefman
10-03-2012, 11:48 AM
I believe in preventative exercise.

Anything I can do to prevent exercise, works for me!

Jamie

Haha! My brother used to say that every time he felt the need to exercise, he'd sit down and have a cigarette until the urge passed.

That was a long time ago, though; he's since quit smoking and started getting more fit.

veinbuster
10-03-2012, 04:59 PM
Last month I went a bit overboard and cycled over 1000km.
I weighed the same at the end but had 10% less body fat.

Isaacee
10-06-2012, 05:53 AM
You have to take exercise daily and play some games for fitness like hockey , Football and more any other games like this then you maintain your fitness and health.

Shawn@PRS
10-06-2012, 10:23 AM
That's a great rate of weight loss.

Last week I started using the My Fitness Pal app/site to support my wife, who wants to lose 30 lbs. I've done calorie tracking before, and it really can open your eyes. My Fitness Pal also tracks your balance of carbs, fat and protein so you can adjust your diet accordingly. Really useful to me for watching my health, since my goal is to maintain my current weight. Having/giving support increases the chance of success.

There's nothing wrong with alcohol in moderation. Just budget it into your daily calorie intake. For example, skip the dinner roll and drink a beer instead! And remember, all the activity you do earns you extra calories. I burned at least 1000 calories cycling yesterday, which more than covers a couple of beers.

I've been trying to cut back on carbs in general with special emphasis on trying to eliminate corn (in all it's forms) from my diet. I still enjoy an adult beverage or two on the weekends but I've switched to vodka with club soda and a wedge of lime. It tastes good enough and doesn't provide unnecessary calories. For the month of September I clocked over 80 miles on foot. Not an astonishing number, but I'm pretty damn happy with it. I'd like to best that number for the month of October but it's looking to be a busy month so I don't know if it will happen.

Luckily for me I have a nice "rails to trails" path just a block behind my house. It provides a nice area to exercise without a lot of traffic to deal with.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/gitfukintar/photo-8-1.jpg

Joshmc5150
10-06-2012, 01:11 PM
Throwing some iron and steel around. Never was much into doing this in high school... I'm 34 now.. So with two small kids.. I wanna make sure I can be their superman now. Usually run 45 mins 4 to 5 times a week. Will lifting prior to running. My biggest down fall is the food I eat and the quality of it.

Shawn@PRS
10-06-2012, 03:41 PM
Throwing some iron and steel around. Never was much into doing this in high school... I'm 34 now.. So with two small kids.. I wanna make sure I can be their superman now. Usually run 45 mins 4 to 5 times a week. Will lifting prior to running. My biggest down fall is the food I eat and the quality of it.

I hear ya man! The main reason I exercise is the same reason I no longer ride a motorcycle, I have a young son to think about.

sergiodeblanc
10-06-2012, 03:54 PM
I'm 57, very soon to be 58. I have a pudge and love handles :( I recently changed from regular coke to Mexican coke. The difference is real sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup.

Don't let the corn lobby fool you - HFCS is EVIL. It is metabolized primarily in the liver and primarily into fat. It also has no satiety effect on thirst, in fact, some research says it actually works you in the opposite direction.

Since switching, I am down 10 lbs on a good day and I drink much less coke because it satisfies my thirst faster.

I like the way you are thinking, I have also noticed significant weight loss by switching from cake doughnuts to yeast.

Joshmc5150
10-06-2012, 05:29 PM
Any good apps for iPhone? Such as ones for lifting or eating?

alantig
10-06-2012, 08:17 PM
Luckily for me I have a nice "rails to trails" path just a block behind my house. It provides a nice area to exercise without a lot of traffic to deal with.

I think I ride at the opposite end of that trail - but it's a lot more than a block from me. If I was that close, I'd ride a lot more often.

Edoko
10-07-2012, 10:47 AM
Shawn, First, read science writer Gary Taubes's book "Why We Get Fat - and what to do about it." If it doesn't convince you to go ultra low carb, that's fine but he does go into the science behind it. As for exercise, listen to "Advice Goddess" Amy Alkon's interview with Fred Hahn about slow speed strength training: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/amyalkon/2012/10/01/advice-goddess-radio-amy-alkon
15 minutes a week. A week.

wilerty
10-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Shawn: Great video. I have had a heart attact and have 5 stents along with back and related problems etc. After the heart attack, I lost 60 pounds over 10 months by walking and maintaining a reasonable diet. I started out on the level for about 10 minutes until my back could handle it. I gradually increased until I was doing about 20 miles a week. What's great about where I live is there are a lot of hills so I could use various loops. During the winter up here I have to go to the gym and use a treadmill. I typically use a cardio program for 30 minutes at 3mph that varies between 4 and 10 degrees. At my age (66), that works just fine.

Walking on the level for any distance is excersize, but adding hills will make it MUCH better. Losing weight is math. Limit your caloric intake to a certain number and you can figure out what you will lose over time. You can lose a pound or two a week with very little work ...

wilerty
10-08-2012, 03:08 PM
Shawn: Here's the real answer ...

Medical Advice for a Long Life~~~
I do not know if this truly provides for longevity,
But it sure would make the days go by a lot better!
Love this Doctor!

Q: Doctor, I've heard that cardiovascular exercise can prolong life. Is this true?
A: Heart only good for so many beats, and that it... Don't waste time on exercise. Everything wear out eventually. Speeding up heart not make you live longer; it like saying you extend life of car by driving faster. Want to live longer? Take nap.

Q: Should I reduce my alcohol intake?
A: Oh no. Wine made from fruit. Brandy distilled wine, that mean they take water out of fruity bit so you get even more of goodness that way. Beer also made of grain. Bottom up! Take Nap.

Q: How can I calculate my body/fat ratio?
A: Well, if you have body and you have fat, your ratio one to one. If you have two body, your ratio two to one, etc.

Q: What are some of the advantages of participating in a regular exercise program?
A: Can't think of single one, sorry.
My philosophy: No pain...good! Take nap.

Q: Aren't fried foods bad for you?
A: YOU NOT LISTENING! Food fried in vegetable oil.
How can getting more vegetable be bad?

Q : Will sit-ups help prevent me from getting a little soft around the middle?
A: Oh no! When you exercise muscle, it get bigger. You should only be doing sit-up if you want bigger stomach.

Q: Is chocolate bad for me?
A: You crazy?!? HEL-LO-O!! Cocoa bean!
Another vegetable! It best feel-good food around!

Q: Is swimming good for your figure?
A: If swimming good for figure, explain whale to me.

Q: Is getting in shape important for my lifestyle?
A: Hey! 'Round' is shape!

Well... I hope this cleared up the misconceptions you may had about food, diets and exercise.

And remember:
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and
well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other -
body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and SCREAMING "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!!"

AND.....

For those of you who watch what you eat and drink,
here's the final word on nutrition and health.
It's a relief to know the truth after all those conflicting nutritional studies we see daily.

1. The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

2. The Mexicans eat a lot of fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

3. The Chinese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

4. The Italians drink a lot of red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans...

5. The Germans drink a lot of beer and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

CONCLUSION:
Eat and drink what you really, really like.
Speaking English is apparently what kills you.

rugerpc
10-08-2012, 04:24 PM
Any good apps for iPhone? Such as ones for lifting or eating?

App for lifting iPhone - attach 10 lb weight, call your entire contact list once a day.

App for eating iPhone - not recommended....

:biggrin:

or you could try these:

weight-lifting (http://appadvice.com/applists/show/weight-lifting)

diet-apps (http://www.switched.com/2010/09/15/the-best-iphone-diet-apps/)

sergiodeblanc
10-08-2012, 06:04 PM
App for lifting iPhone - attach 10 lb weight, call your entire contact list once a day.

:rofl:

Shawn@PRS
10-08-2012, 07:36 PM
Shawn: Here's the real answer ...

And remember:
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and
well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other -
body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and SCREAMING "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!!"

I hear what you're saying Bill, I'm just trying to slide into the grave when I'm about 90 and not when I'm 50! :)

Buildermike
10-08-2012, 07:58 PM
And remember:
well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - CABERNET in one hand - chocolate in the other -

AND.....

Eat and drink what you really like.

This, with my edits. Listen to your body, it does speak to you. Everything in moderation, except wine ;) And yes you need to get off your a$$ everyday and do something physically. Find something that you enjoy doing everyday.

Fox77
10-09-2012, 03:59 AM
I hear what you're saying Bill, I'm just trying to slide into the grave when I'm about 90 and not when I'm 50! :)

^^This!

Lost my dad to a heartattack and he was only 61. Among the men in the family from my father's side, heart attacks are quite common and killer no. 1. Hoping to start a family soon and I would like to be around for my kid a little longer than his 20th birthday.
Keeping my bad cholesterol level low is a starter. Haven't smoked in a year (been smoking a couple of months each year for the last ten years, so I'm proud of not having smoked a whole year) and am limiting my alcohol intake. Also skipping sodas and sweets as best as I can. But that's not the most difficult part. The most difficult part is limiting all the nice hearty stuff, like the French saucissons (dry sausages) that I love, cheeses and red meat in general.

Wow, that turned out way too serious, so I'll end with this:

Guy visits the doc and is told that he only has 6 months to live. He asks the doc if there's anything he could do. Doc says, "Sure, quit smoking, drinking and having sex." Guy says: "OK, will that make me live longer?" Doc: "No, but it will seem longer." :D

mithogo
10-09-2012, 04:13 AM

If you are comfortable answering, what type of cancer is suspected?

Cancer is scary but it can be treated successfully if caught early. I was diagnosed with prostate cancer six years ago after a physical exam and subsequent biopsy. The docs took care of me and I'm cancer free (so far.)

garrett
10-09-2012, 01:34 PM
I've been trying to cut back on carbs in general with special emphasis on trying to eliminate corn (in all it's forms) from my diet. I still enjoy an adult beverage or two on the weekends but I've switched to vodka with club soda and a wedge of lime. It tastes good enough and doesn't provide unnecessary calories. For the month of September I clocked over 80 miles on foot. Not an astonishing number, but I'm pretty damn happy with it. I'd like to best that number for the month of October but it's looking to be a busy month so I don't know if it will happen.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/gitfukintar/photo-8-1.jpg

Would you mind sharing why you're droppilng corn? Haven't heard that one. Carbs often get unfairly vilified, IMO. Then again, so does fat (You need them both!). I think the main thing is to maintain a balanced diet and limit the processed carbs like refined sugar and flour, and avoid the "bad" fats.

Man, I'm jealous of that trail! I had yesterday off work, so I drove to the other side of town to go biking on a similar trail. It was such a great ride! I live in the inner part of the Atlanta metro area, so all the rides I can do from home are much more urban and have a fair bit of on-street time. The rails-to-trails I rode yesterday runs from the western suburbs through the country, all the way into Alabama! I averaged almost 2 mph faster than my other routes, and my greatest worry was hoping I didn't run over any squirrels or chipmunks. ;)

Shawn@PRS
10-10-2012, 03:24 PM
Would you mind sharing why you're droppilng corn? Haven't heard that one. Carbs often get unfairly vilified, IMO. Then again, so does fat (You need them both!). I think the main thing is to maintain a balanced diet and limit the processed carbs like refined sugar and flour, and avoid the "bad" fats.

Man, I'm jealous of that trail! I had yesterday off work, so I drove to the other side of town to go biking on a similar trail. It was such a great ride! I live in the inner part of the Atlanta metro area, so all the rides I can do from home are much more urban and have a fair bit of on-street time. The rails-to-trails I rode yesterday runs from the western suburbs through the country, all the way into Alabama! I averaged almost 2 mph faster than my other routes, and my greatest worry was hoping I didn't run over any squirrels or chipmunks. ;)

Hi Garrett,

I'm trying to Eliminate corn because our bodies can't digest it. Even with processed sugar, although not good for you, is not as harmful as corn and can be digested by humans. Corn is used to fatten up cattle and pork, so I assume it is doing the same to me.

I live in a small rural town but we bought in this specific neighborhood in order to be within walking distance to restaurants, the local music venue and of course the trail. It's been a real treat.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
10-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Ok Shawn... 13 October. The day after my 39th Birthday.

It's on like Donkey Kong.

Beefcake.

BEEFCAKE!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-bQ1ZnZz5FdE/T_2QMGEBDoI/AAAAAAAAAAU/RmBGmozniGw/s1600/Beefcake-Posters.jpg

I know it's hard to imagine why there aren't half a dozen hot chicks feeding me grapes, but it's time to get back to the gym and lose the man-boobs.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd272/hansomatic/XPRS2012/IMG_0157_zpsaa5e6221.jpg

Shawn@PRS
10-10-2012, 07:05 PM
I was going to make a comment about your toes putting you at a real disadvantage, but then I saw Jamie. What the hell is wrong with his face?:o

JMintzer
10-10-2012, 07:17 PM
I was going to make a comment about your toes putting you at a real disadvantage, but then I saw Jamie. What the hell is wrong with his face?:o

I saw Hans' toes...

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
10-10-2012, 07:39 PM
I was going to make a comment about your toes putting you at a real disadvantage, but then I saw Jamie. What the hell is wrong with his face?:oThat's the Super DUPER Moderator face.

vchizzle
10-10-2012, 07:52 PM
I should read through this thread, my gut's getting huge:bawling:
Now I'm depressed. Think I'll go drink a beer :D

Mike Duncan
10-10-2012, 08:25 PM
Even though I only had one toe done...I'm doing better. :star:

And yes, Nuthall, I'm back in my Sambas...no more weirdo shoes!

Shawn@PRS
10-10-2012, 09:39 PM
The shoes made for an "interesting" story Mike. :)

garrett
10-11-2012, 08:45 AM
Hi Garrett,

I'm trying to Eliminate corn because our bodies can't digest it. Even with processed sugar, although not good for you, is not as harmful as corn and can be digested by humans. Corn is used to fatten up cattle and pork, so I assume it is doing the same to me.

I live in a small rural town but we bought in this specific neighborhood in order to be within walking distance to restaurants, the local music venue and of course the trail. It's been a real treat.

Hmm, I'm no expert, but from what I know corn is good for you. You get fiber, protein, natural sugar. Good stuff. But the corn we buy at the store is not the same as the corn used to feed livestock and make high fructose corn syrup.

I agree, being within walking distance of amenities is great. It was a must for choosing our house too.

Oh, and, BEEFCAAAAAAAAKE!!!

alantig
10-11-2012, 05:01 PM

I think it's that the shorts don't cling to the leg.

I saw Hans' toes...

Yeah...toes...

Yeah...toast!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BILAFuSi-i0

Shawn@PRS
12-11-2012, 06:30 PM
I'm resurrecting this thread.

After a rough month, I'm back on track. My exercise routine has actually flattened out but I'm becoming more aware of my diet. I've drastically cut down on carbs, so now I'll eat two cookies instead of 12 or I'll drink one beer instead of four. Anyway, I've dropped 15 lbs and I'm thrilled with my progress. Let me hear your success stories, I need more motivation.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
12-11-2012, 06:48 PM

Good. I seriously have to do something. Been talking about it for years. Starting and stopping... never really making a difference.

It's time.

garrett
12-11-2012, 08:03 PM

After a rough month, I'm back on track. My exercise routine has actually flattened out but I'm becoming more aware of my diet. I've drastically cut down on carbs, so now I'll eat two cookies instead of 12 or I'll drink one beer instead of four. Anyway, I've dropped 15 lbs and I'm thrilled with my progress. Let me hear your success stories, I need more motivation.

Nice. Well I know I've dropped 10 pounds over six months with my cycling and eating decently. Not that I was ever a big guy at all, but I weigh the same at 33 as I did at 20 and I'm in better shape.

I'll gauge my real success after I go to the doc for a check up next week. I dida health assessment in April and wasn't happy with some of my results. I got serious and made my changes at the beginning of June, so I'm interested to see what six months can do!

justmund
12-11-2012, 08:09 PM
Hey Hans (and anyone else that cares), I've had some great success lately, 22 pounds in 14 weeks and I was never heavy to begin with. Now leaner than I was at 17-27 and feeling fantastic. I have learnt a bunch about nutrition and exercise, and it really is simple to lose a bunch of weight quickly and healthily.

If you're happy for me to, I'll post some links every day or 2 to share this knowledge.

justmund
12-11-2012, 08:14 PM
Here's a start to hopefully pique your interest:

http://www.dietdoctor.com/taubes-attia-debunks-food-myths-on-the-stossel-show

garrett
12-26-2012, 03:09 PM

Motivation time!

I had blood tests done back in April, and again today. Leading up to the April test, I had been slipping further and further out of shape for a year or two. In May, I adjusted my diet for the better and in June I started cycling regularly.

Total cholesterol: 199 --> 160
HDL (good) cholesterol: 21 --> 41
LDL (bad) cholesterol: 144 --> 94
Risk Ratio: 9.5 --> 3.9 (3.5 is considered ideal)

This is a great result! Everything is in the happy range now. This is all very important to me because my dad has heart disease and had two heart attacks in his early 40's. I definitely do not want to go down that road!

Keep up the good work, it pays off.

justmund
01-28-2013, 06:45 PM
Hey Garrett, I'm interested what adjustments you made to your diet?

Also I just saw this, this guy is phenomenal! Some fitness goals in there for me (do one rep of any of these!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POdzasJklxw

leeasam
01-28-2013, 07:05 PM
I like You Shawn was looking for a way to excersise at my own time. going to a gym was not working especially when I had two young boys I could not leave un attended and my wife worked a later shift. I own a bowflex and work out daily. I just take Sundays off. I work out two muscle groups a day. I also enjoy bike riding in the summer but have a stationary trainer to put my bike in. Running is just to hard on my joints. I eat 6 smaller meals a day. when I can eat a full meal or such I take in Whey protien.I don`t drink sodas at all. Pretty much water Bowflex also has what they call select tech dumb bells where you dial up the weight and then lift out of holder and only the wieghts you want are on the bar. Strength training is important. After age 30 we start losing muscle mass- especially if not using them. Mucsle is what burns calories. The more musce mass the more one can eat. That is why older people do NOT need very much calorie intake as they don`thave the muscle mass to burn it. Cicuit training is the best. keeps heart rate up. I am 50 going to be 51 this summer. I am 6`1" tall and wiegh in the 180 to 185lb range( can change 2 ro 3 lbs over night lol) I have a 32" waist also. the pic was from about two years ago. I changed up my routine and am even more toned yet. I feel great and stronger than when I was in my 20s. http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc348/leeasam/24047_387204100162_600800162_4372272_7720034_n.jpg

zebraprs
01-28-2013, 07:23 PM
Gentlemen... IMO it is 90% Diet and 10% Exercise. I work out 6 days a week with at least 30 mins of cardio and another 30 min of strength training. the missing link to my waistline is my diet.. my portions are way too big.. The key is ( and I keep telling myself) is 5-6 small meals a day..

leeasam
01-28-2013, 07:28 PM
Gentlemen... IMO it is 90% Diet and 10% Exercise. I work out 6 days a week with at least 30 mins of cardio and another 30 min of strength training. the missing link to my waistline is my diet.. my portions are way too big.. The key is ( and I keep telling myself) is 5-6 small meals a day..

you do have a point. instead of counting calories which is difficult a portion is the size of ones palm. So a portion of meat--- carbs-- vegies etc should fit in the palm. so depending on size it can vary. eating out is one of the things that is not good as portion sizes are always way too much. when I say portion I am saying PER food unit not total meal!

justmund
01-28-2013, 07:40 PM
I've thought of it lately as 80% diet, 15% exercise and 5% mental. Your mental state plays a big role in weight loss, if you're stressed, the body releases cortisol which amongst other things, can mess with your fat loss. Funnily enough over-training can have the same effect!

I highly recommend looking into the primal/paleo diet, it totally goes against what we think is right in regards to diet. There is a lot of facets to it, but one is not eating 5-6 small meals per day. The conventional thinking is this keeps your metabolism up, but all you're doing is putting quick burning foods into the body (e.g. carbs) several times a day, and never using your body fat for what it was supposed to, and that's supplying you energy between meals. Think of it as filling up your car everytime the tank gets to 3/4 full.

If you get used to having higher fat/lower carbs in your diet, you will be fuller for much longer (as fat takes longer to metabolise, however is more energy and nutrient dense than grain or sugar based foods), and you get "fat adapted" or better at ketosis, you'll be able to burn fat off a lot easier.

A couple of good reads are "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes and "The Primal Blueprint" by Mark Sisson

Dirty Bob
01-28-2013, 08:11 PM
I used to say 70% was rest and recovery, 20% diet, 10% work out...that is if you are working out 4-6 days a week. Do not underestimate the importance of sleep and rest if you are really going at it....without it you overtrain and don't allow your body to recover in between workouts.

Shawn@PRS
01-28-2013, 08:35 PM
I like You Shawn was looking for a way to excersise at my own time. going to a gym was not working especially when I had two young boys I could not leave un attended and my wife worked a later shift. I own a bowflex and work out daily. I just take Sundays off. I work out two muscle groups a day. I also enjoy bike riding in the summer but have a stationary trainer to put my bike in. Running is just to hard on my joints. I eat 6 smaller meals a day. when I can eat a full meal or such I take in Whey protien.I don`t drink sodas at all. Pretty much water Bowflex also has what they call select tech dumb bells where you dial up the weight and then lift out of holder and only the wieghts you want are on the bar. Strength training is important. After age 30 we start losing muscle mass- especially if not using them. Mucsle is what burns calories. The more musce mass the more one can eat. That is why older people do NOT need very much calorie intake as they don`thave the muscle mass to burn it. Cicuit training is the best. keeps heart rate up. I am 50 going to be 51 this summer. I am 6`1" tall and wiegh in the 180 to 185lb range( can change 2 ro 3 lbs over night lol) I have a 32" waist also. the pic was from about two years ago. I changed up my routine and am even more toned yet. I feel great and stronger than when I was in my 20s. http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc348/leeasam/24047_387204100162_600800162_4372272_7720034_n.jpg

Damn James Bond, seriously looking good!

My exercise routine has fallen off during the winter months, but my food choices have become more stringent. I don't eat many carbs, once in a while I'll have a tortilla, beans or some rice as part of a meal (but i do still eat cherios for breakfast). I cut back on alcohol consumption and do not drink on week days. I do not eat fast food or drink soda. Now if I'm at the point of "I could eat", I choose not to. I've lost 16 lbs since I started this thread. I've had a few set backs, but I keep plugging away and I feel progress has been made.

LSchefman
01-28-2013, 08:46 PM
Leeasam, my hat is off to you! You're an inspiration!

swede71
01-28-2013, 08:55 PM
Manual labour,no alcohol,bicycle or walk to work or wherever you usually take car.Eat because you need to not because you want to.Eat fruits in between meals.

jfb
01-28-2013, 08:57 PM
http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc348/leeasam/24047_387204100162_600800162_4372272_7720034_n.jpg

Looking boss!

leeasam
01-28-2013, 09:14 PM
Damn James Bond, seriously looking good!

My exercise routine has fallen off during the winter months, but my food choices have become more stringent. I don't eat many carbs, once in a while I'll have a tortilla, beans or some rice as part of a meal (but i do still eat cherios for breakfast). I cut back on alcohol consumption and do not drink on week days. I do not eat fast food or drink soda. Now if I'm at the point of "I could eat", I choose not to. I've lost 16 lbs since I started this thread. I've had a few set backs, but I keep plugging away and I feel progress has been made.

good for you. I know it does start out getting mentally focused on it. I have gotten to the point where the work out is kind of addictive lol. endorphine rush etc. on Sundays I do eat junk food. I kind of went off the Bill Phillips body for life thing. Eat good through the week and take one day to eat junk. keeps my craving for carbs down and know there is always a treat lol. I am one person that loves sweets. I love baked goods and my wife is good at it but I tell her not to do it much as I will dang near eat the whole pan !!!!

I have heard( my mom`s husband does this too) where if you are at a desk alot get an excersise ball to sit on. ( don`t get the cheap ones they fail too easy-- I have a Golds Gym one that has lasted for a few years-- it does have sand in it to keep from rolling cross the room! ) sitting on these instead of a chair forces you to use core muscles for balance and posture. even this can burn calories!

I do drink coffee at times on weekends. BLACK.

Shawn@PRS
01-28-2013, 10:00 PM
In a park a few blocks from my house they recently built a small circuit with pull up bars, balance beams, etc. As soon as it warms up I'll be using it regularly. I have an exercise ball, I should bring it to work and use it in the meantime.

One thing I forgot to mention about my diet, I've been drinking a minimum of 74 ounces of water per day. I don't know how I came up with that number, but it's doable so I'm sticking with it.

leeasam
01-28-2013, 10:35 PM
In a park a few blocks from my house they recently built a small circuit with pull up bars, balance beams, etc. As soon as it warms up I'll be using it regularly. I have an exercise ball, I should bring it to work and use it in the meantime.

One thing I forgot to mention about my diet, I've been drinking a minimum of 74 ounces of water per day. I don't know how I came up with that number, but it's doable so I'm sticking with it.

sounds like a plan! :)

garrett
01-29-2013, 06:52 AM
Hey Garrett, I'm interested what adjustments you made to your diet?

Also I just saw this, this guy is phenomenal! Some fitness goals in there for me (do one rep of any of these!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POdzasJklxw

We've been eating well at home for several years, so the main thing I did was cut out fast food at lunch. I had done this before a few years ago. There are a couple of food courts near work, so I'd slipped into the routine of eating Chik Fil A about once a week along with questionable chicken dishes at the Asian places. Even when I ate "healthy" at the more homestyle place, everything was loaded with salt. My idea of a fast food lunch now is Subway or the Mexican places, but I calculate the nutrition.

One thing I hadn't done before was to make sure I get more protein and fiber with breakfast. I general already ate the "good" cereals, but now I'm more likely to have granola with Greek yogurt or "great" cereals.

I also changed the way I snack. I used to go for granola bars, but switched to nuts like almonds or cashews. About the same calorie load, but less sugar/carbs and more lasting nutrition. When I do want a bar, I go for Clif Bars, which have whole grains, are minimally processed and have plenty of protein. These have become a fixture on my cycling days.

I still treat myself occasionally with greasy foods, but it's a rare occasion. I still have dessert every night, in reasonable portions, and a beer or a couple of glasses of wine several days a week. So it's not like I feel deprived.

justmund
02-14-2013, 10:32 PM
Hey guys, this is a good summary of what I've been doing

http://authoritynutrition.com/11-biggest-lies-of-mainstream-nutrition/

Steph
02-14-2013, 11:51 PM
You guys should check out the documentary "Hungry for change".

My parents have been on a similar health path since they were in their forties (circa 1980). Now they're in their mid 70s and I would'nt know how to describe how healthy and active they are at that age. I think my father can still kick the crap out of me and my bros at country skiing, and not on flat grounds. And him and mom drive 2 times a year from montreal to florida in two days straight. He is 76 yr old and doesn't take one pill...
This is not about diets or magic exercises... Its about a lifestyle and enclose every aspect of ones life.

Anyways, check out "Hungry for change". It is worth it. Your health is worth it...

bluefade
02-15-2013, 04:45 AM
So I find I need to exercise more than I used to, just to maintain a healthy weight. I try to watch what I eat and walk 5-6 days a week. I'm not much of a runner, so I walk instead. I have to do something so my butt doesn't look fat in those jeans.

What exercise/diet routines do you guys follow?

Get a gym membership...I do 16 different machines...100 reps,in sets of 25...on the abdominal crunch machine i do 200 reps. I do this three times a week. Keep the weight heavy enough to give yourself some burn at the end of each set of 25. To be effective,exercise must be part of your lifestyle!!! After 30 years...at 62...I still fit in my jeans!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dmorton67
02-15-2013, 12:37 PM
I run. it is not the same as walking.

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning-0?page=single
http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/walking-vs-running-which-one-is-best.html

tiboy
02-15-2013, 12:59 PM
Cycling is my thing. Unfortunately, despite logging more than 9,000 miles in 2012, my weight was at an all time high. I also do and have done resistance training for the last 40 years. I want to give yoga a try someday soon.

Sekunda
02-15-2013, 01:41 PM
I tried the P90X workouts and they worked amazingly well... but I don't have the time to spend each day, 1 to 1 1/2 hours, so I tried the 10 Minute Trainer from the same people and it works great too. There are 5 10 minute workouts that will kick your butt if you combine a few each day. I have been slacking since the holidays and I'm ready to start back up and get back to feeling good again. But with any type of program, eating right is the main thing along with the exercise. Good luck on finding what works for you!

Brad737
02-15-2013, 03:18 PM
Good for you Les!

That is 100%, for a given distance. However if you're comparing calories expended based on time, running burns a LOT more calories.

Adler
02-19-2013, 07:43 AM
Glad to know that,this is quit impressive i pray for them that they remain like this always.That must be because the good diet and maintaining all physical stuff.
You should take care of their physicality and the diet especially.

Shawn@PRS
02-19-2013, 09:06 AM
Here's a start to hopefully pique your interest:

http://www.dietdoctor.com/taubes-attia-debunks-food-myths-on-the-stossel-show

This is the same basic diet I follow. (just add a couple of drinks on the weekend and a little snacking from time to time).

Roddie
02-19-2013, 09:55 AM
The gym Monday-Friday. 20 mins cardio and then weights.

frankb56
02-19-2013, 03:55 PM
When I turned 40, I started playing golf. I'm 56 now and have lost 40 lbs over this time span....I know it's been a slow process but I would still be 240 or more if I didn't. Walking 18 holes two to three times a week is like walking 18+ miles. My wife also keeps me busy with house work... ever try bringing a cubic yard of gravel up a steep hill? It took 20 wheel barrels going backwards up the hill this weekend.

Roddie
02-19-2013, 04:00 PM
Thats crazy, good for you.:congrats:

alantig
02-19-2013, 10:08 PM
I don't get out on the bike trail too much, but I do ride the stationary bike a fair bit. We're not the people who get the bikes and let them become clothes storage - we're on the fourth bike, and we've worn the other three out. The current one is a Livestrong recumbent that tracks your data - I checked the other day, and in about two years, I've got close to 3100 miles on it. That I've tracked to my ID. I'm in winter mode, so I'm doing the 35 minutes I do on the mornings I work at home, plus another 45 at a slightly slower pace 5-6 days a week. And a little weight lifting.

Like the neck on my SC 245 - still wide fat.

justmund
02-19-2013, 10:37 PM
This is the same basic diet I follow. (just add a couple of drinks on the weekend and a little snacking from time to time).

That's great Shawn, you'll keep on dropping weight for sure! I'm doing some further reading now, Gary Taubes' "Good Calories, Bad Calories" which explores the conventional medical wisdom theory of fat accumulation is simple caloric difference (e.g. putting more in than what you use), and proposes a counter theory that it's only carbs which lead to fat accumulation, carbs drive insulin levels in your bloodstream, insulin levels in your bloodstream regulate fat accumulation.

The other theory is eating the same amount of calories from fat/protein will yield much less fat storage than the same amount of calories from carbs. How is this possible? Where does the energy difference go? It takes more energy to metabolise fatty acids into ketones/glucose, than it does to turn carbs in to glucose (unless it's already glucose of course!).

It's turning it less into a physics theory and more into a physiological theory.

I've just started an experiment on myself with severe carb restriction, I'm at around <30g of carbs per day (ketogenic diet) and the 2nd day in. The theory goes that you enter a state called ketosis, where since you don't have carbs available, your liver starts making ketones for your brain to use (instead of glucose) and you also start accessing your own body fat storage more readily and more efficiently. What's the benefit? More energy than ever before (since there's no carb high/low insulin rollercoaster), longer period between meals before hunger, and increase efficiency of burning fat cells.

Ok maybe I find this stuff way too fascinating, but I do want to share this with you guys: You don't need to exercise like a maniac to lose weight, it's mainly diet. If you can minimise your carbs, and get most of your energy from protein/fat (assuming it's from a good free-range or organic source, and not polyunsaturated) then you will lose weight, lots of it, and very quickly. The other benefit is you'll be less likely to cause inflammation within your arteries, and less likely to have a cardiovascular disease, since we're now finally coming to the realisation that dietary let alone blood cholestrol is not responsible for CVD.

http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/healthscience/2013/February/Forget-Cholesterol-Inflammations-the-Real-Enemy/