PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Guitars?

CE-man
09-02-2012, 05:42 PM
When it comes to shipping guitars I"ve always been meticulous at packing. I usually slacken the strings, fill any empty areas in the case and then pack the case with several inches of bubblewrap before boxing it. Lately I've noticed more guitars simply being stuck in a box (in their cases of course) with full string tension. Have I been the anal retentive guitar shipper this whole time? Is it necessary to slacken the strings or have redundant wrapping when the guitar is in a form-fitted case?

Jester
09-02-2012, 09:04 PM
I don't think it is necessary. It just needs to be snug in the hard case.

I do try to make sure the hard case can't move around in the shipping box. In that regard, bubble wrap is better than foam peanuts.

Justin M
09-02-2012, 09:14 PM
I shipped my guitars from Japan to South Korea in hard cases and loosened the strings. I didn't have any issues.

markie
09-02-2012, 09:15 PM
They do not loosen the strings when they ship from the factory. However, I will loosen the strings if someone asks me to do so.......

vchizzle
09-03-2012, 12:17 PM
I've over packed in the past. Then, figuring if PRS ships them in tune with bubble wrap in each end of the box...why should I feel the need to do more?

CE-man
09-03-2012, 12:45 PM
I've over packed in the past. Then, figuring if PRS ships them in tune with bubble wrap in each end of the box...why should I feel the need to do more?

That is exactly what I based this post on. From now on I'm going to save myself a lot of time and energy and ship them just as you described.

11top
09-03-2012, 01:37 PM
John Suhr maintains that it's NOT a good idea to lessen the strings.

However, I always overpack (especially on the inside of the case) for one major reason..........I have dealt with UPS claims adjusters on several occasions. They ALWAYS try to deny on shipper's negligence (ie. failure to pack adequately).

One more tip: Take photos (including inside the case) to show your packing. By the time the claim adjuster has it, it may be unpacked.

Rango
09-03-2012, 01:43 PM
They don't slack the strings, but they do use a bit of foam and tape
For example my P22

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae245/Chutist/DSC_0231.jpg

JMintzer
09-03-2012, 02:00 PM
It's the neck condom and the card under the strings. Packing mojo...

markie
09-03-2012, 02:47 PM
It's the neck condom and the card under the strings. Packing mojo...

:D :D :D :D............... Mr. Obvious .............. :D :D :D :D

JMintzer
09-03-2012, 06:39 PM
That's Dr. Obvious, to you. I didn't spend 4 years in Obvious School for nothing!

Jamie

LSchefman
09-03-2012, 06:58 PM
Speaking of obvious -- and I know this will be obvious to me once someone tells me -- what's the neck condom do? I was thinking maybe it's some sort of thing to absorb shock, but it seems awfully small for that.

Anyone know?

JMintzer
09-03-2012, 08:33 PM
I think it's just there, kinda' like the strip of paper on your toilet seat, when you check into a hotel. There to let you know it's been "sanitized, for your protection..."

Jamie

Dirty Bob
09-03-2012, 08:33 PM
I said it once in another thread.

Tie for best guitar packing...Steve P. and Brent Moss.

I was pleasantly surprised when I opened up a guitar I bought from Steve. His interior guitar case protection was very thorough...the best I've seen.

A guitar I got from Brent Moss took me forever to get out of the box...he had so much protective wrap and bubble wrap jammed in there it took me at least 20 minutes to get it out....he made triple sure that it would make it over the border in one piece!

LSchefman
09-03-2012, 08:34 PM
I think it's just there, kinda' like the strip of paper on your toilet seat, when you check into a hotel. There to let you know it's been "sanitized, for your protection..."

Jamie

I always thought that strip of paper was there to keep first time toilet users from falling in. ;)

wilerty
09-03-2012, 11:58 PM
The is no reason to slacken the strings for shipment.

I think the way PRS ships is fine. However ... I buy the small bubble wrap and wrap the outside of the case so it fits a little more snuggly in the box.

RickO
09-04-2012, 12:56 AM
I wish this one was being shipped to my place! Sweet guitar Rango!

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae245/Chutist/DSC_0231.jpg

RedGuitars
09-04-2012, 11:21 AM
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/a3/a3fb8a18-b8e0-498f-8215-a3026a545581_300.jpg

1/2" foam sheathing - $10/sheet at Home Depot - cuts easily to fit any shape. I use it for packing/shipping gear all the time.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
09-04-2012, 11:58 AM
1/2" foam sheathing - $10/sheet at Home Depot - cuts easily to fit any shape. I use it for packing/shipping gear all the time.

I use that trick too. UPS stabbed a 1/2" hole all the way through a guitar case one time (which I fixed with super glue and a coin). Luckily, whatever came through the case didn't hit the 305 inside. The foam may not have stopped whatever that was but protecting the case from damage is a big part of making a clean sale. So... I use it.

I also wrap the case in garbage bags to keep them water tight. I've had guitars end up in the rain during shipment.

PRS has a lot more sway with shippers (if they need to make a claim) than any individual. Plus, the cost of adding a 2nd box to every guitar they ship is probably a lot less than the occasional repair.

QueenCityGuitars
09-04-2012, 12:07 PM
I'm meticulous concerning packing as well. Anything to decrease your chances of incurring damage is a good idea. However, I don't see any reason to loosen the strings. A guitar is meant to have tension from the strings. If something were to hit the box hard enough to damage the neck, I seriously doubt having less tension from the strings is going to help much. Just my $0.02.

rugerpc
09-04-2012, 12:57 PM
I'm thinkin' that the neck is designed to offset string tension and to slacken the strings for any extended length of time would allow neck movement - perhaps to the point of buzzing frets until the balance is returned and the neck moves back. How long does it take a neck to move? How long would it take for it to return? These are questions I don't want to experiment with.

vchizzle
09-04-2012, 11:58 PM
If the guitar being shipped and it's case was in brand new condition, I typically add an extra layer of cardboard inside the box too. I guess I'd take some extra care then. I've only shipped one virtually new guitar though & that was overseas....that thing was bomb proof :D

veinbuster
09-05-2012, 06:41 PM
It might be overkill, and it took a long time to undo it all, but this is the most packed I've ever received anything.
bubble wrap inside a card board sling surrounded by snow worms
http://mrpetesays.com/music/images/CK_02BubleWrapInSling.JPG
after getting the bubble wrap out of the sling I came upon a heavy plastic bag protecting the case
http://mrpetesays.com/music/images/CK_05BagInBubbleWrap.JPG
the inside of the case was stuffed with tissue - look closely and see that inside the stuffing the strings (which were loosened) were neatly wrapped and a little tissue cushion was placed under the pick guard.
http://mrpetesays.com/music/images/CK_10GuitarInTissue.JPG
I don't see myself doing it all, but I have to admit I appreciated the effort of the sender.

MykeWright
09-06-2012, 04:12 AM
IF you're going to slacken the strings you should also slacken the truss rod!

Some good tips in this thread guys - keep 'em coming.

CantankerousCarl
09-07-2012, 08:47 AM
A non-neck-related shipping rant...I have had two vintage or near-vintage instruments shipped to me over the past few months from a major retail chain with the trem bar floating around IN THE CASE.

SERIOUSLY.

The one that showed up yesterday (non-PRS) luckily had no signs of any sort of damage, in remarkable shape despite being poorly bubble-wrapped (although strings were slacked). This happened to me awhile back with a 92 CST24 - opened the case, and the whammy was sitting right there on top floating around, no padding. There were small, shallow uniform dings (at least 20) across the top of the guitar, which I was assured "were there before" but doubtful...

You can't fix stupid...so I guess a warning to all to make sure to speak to the operations folks who will be shipping your guitar to remove the trem bar, wrap it up separately, and encase it with the bubble wrap going between the case and the shipping box.

LSchefman
09-07-2012, 09:27 AM
I wouldn't want the tissue paper wrapping around the body of the guitar, though putting some between the strings and the fingerboard is good.

Frankly, the way PRS ships them is fine.

rugerpc
09-08-2012, 11:19 AM
There were small, shallow uniform dings (at least 20) across the top of the guitar, which I was assured "were there before" but doubtful...

You can't fix stupid...

There ARE crimes that should be punishable by violence.....

stevenew
09-09-2012, 01:33 PM
I'm thinkin' that the neck is designed to offset string tension and to slacken the strings for any extended length of time would allow neck movement - perhaps to the point of buzzing frets until the balance is returned and the neck moves back. How long does it take a neck to move? How long would it take for it to return? These are questions I don't want to experiment with.

Absolutely, I ship my guitars to a guitar tech for setups/repairs he's a trained engineer and used to be production manager for a guitar manufacture here in the UK. He always ships the guitars back to me with the strings tuned to pitch, he says loosening the strings will negate the setup, in fact after he has setup a guitar he leaves it for 24-48 hrs to adjust any neck movement. He also says to change one string at a time to minimise neck movement. The case is wrapped in bubble wrap and empty space in the box filled to ensure the case does not move around.

Steve