PDA

View Full Version : Sanding Guitar Neck

sosallycanwait
09-02-2012, 11:09 PM
Hey guys, I have a Custom 24 and would stripping a thin layer of the finish off the mahogany neck hurt the neck?? I've seen many guitars like that just to make it smoother and less sticky.
Thanks

Hopeful Sinner
09-02-2012, 11:27 PM
Hey guys, I have a Custom 24 and would stripping a thin layer of the finish off the mahogany neck hurt the neck?? I've seen many guitars like that just to make it smoother and less sticky.
Thanks

Nah, won't hurt. I've never done it to a PRS but I'm considering doing my SE, it feels great on my bud's Strat. Get you some super fine sand paper, baby wipes and acetone, dry a couple handfuls of the baby wipes and put the acetone on them, not dripping wet but enough, rub the neck until you get where you want to be and then fine sand to taste.

You'll get a nice satin feel. Be sure to cover any parts of the body with painter's tape or something of the sort, you don't want the acetone to eat the finish.

LSchefman
09-03-2012, 10:24 AM
The only issue would be resale value, which would take a substantial hit. But if it's a keeper guitar and you can't foresee the need to ever sell it, the sanding won't hurt anything unless you screw it up.

JMintzer
09-03-2012, 01:06 PM
Some people sake a really fine micro-mesh and gently smooth down the gloss finish. It can be easily polished back...

Jamie