PDA

View Full Version : Focus Group for CE Lover Petition.

sergiodeblanc
09-08-2012, 03:29 PM
Okay, for all of us that would love to purchase a brand new CE model, what features would you like to see? I figure it would be better to compile a wish list of features in order to gather my mob of enthusiastic consumers for the reintroduction of the most under appreciated, and best model of guitar to ever grace the planet.

I would like to dispel the notion that the CE was "just" a budget PRS, and it does in fact have a unique and important place in the marketplace for PRS junkies.
If we are able to compromise among ourselves a list, and explain the demand, I'm sure the "Greatest Guitar Company in the World" :D will have no choice but to comply.

So let's hear it! I will start with some basics.

Alder body with a maple top.
Flame maple neck with some sort of inlays, just to denote that this is a "premium" guitar.
Tremolo
A three way toggle at least, so I can replace it with a rotary. (see, I'm willing to compromise.)
Don't mess with the old neck joint, it's worked before and shall again.

If Mike's 7string crusade has taught us anything, we must be diligent in order to prevail.

I know you are out there, GET IN ON THE LIST!

CantankerousCarl
09-08-2012, 04:06 PM
I'm with you sergio, would rather have the 5-way type switching, blade even, rather than a 3-way. But if it's a 3-way, do the mini-toggle, not push-pull.

24 fret maple neck, maple or rosewood fingerboard options.

Old school birds.

Alder yes, maple top with a 10-top option.

SIGN ME UP...right after the 408 I will need to sell an organ for...

AP515
09-08-2012, 04:20 PM
Okay, for all of us that would love to purchase a brand new CE model, what features would you like to see?

All Alder like my 88 CE24, Dragon 1's, 5 way, Phase 2's, trem.

slev
09-08-2012, 04:40 PM
I'd like a mahogany body w/o the maple cap (Standard style), five way switch, I like the old birds, Trem and I'd go for 59/09s. I like the flame maple neck too very cool.

CE-man
09-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Alder or Ash body with "10" quality maple cap option, chambering option, figured neck option with peghead overlay, rosewood, ebony, or maple fretboards, MOP birds or moons, John Mann tremolo, 3 way toggle or 5-way rotary, sweet switch option, Standard Treble/Bass pickups and/or the modern equivalent. Making a Pearl White finish available again would be great!

Em7
09-08-2012, 05:19 PM
I am holding out for a reissue of the original '88 CE (a.k.a PRS Electric). After all, 2013 will be the 25th anniversary for this model.

Unlike late model CEs, the original CE was not a poor man's Custom. It was PRS' answer to the Super Strat. The market wanted a poor man's custom.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
09-08-2012, 06:04 PM
Flamed neck, dark and quarter-sawn rosewood fretboard, abalone birds, alder body, Bud Davis metal paint, T&B reissue pups, 3-way mini-toggle, and mixed hardware.

Brad737
09-08-2012, 06:10 PM
I'd like an alder body, maple top with 10 option, old birds, and McCarty switching. As for neck carves, I'd LOVE a Wide-Fat option. I'm fairly open when it comes to pickups, but for posterity's sake, I'd like HFS/ Vintage Bass & Dragon 1s. I'm also highly in favor of limited release of Bud Davis Metals.

LSchefman
09-09-2012, 02:46 AM
PRS is making all this great new stuff, and everyone has to b&m about what they aren't making!

No CEs?

Remind us why they stopped making those...oh yeah. People weren't, you know, actually buying them! So...PRS should do that again. ;)

Funny people, guitar enthusiasts. I'm glad I play the accordion.

sergiodeblanc
09-09-2012, 03:22 AM
PRS is making all this great new stuff, and everyone has to b&m about what they aren't making!

No CEs?

Remind us why they stopped making those...oh yeah. People weren't, you know, actually buying them! So...PRS should do that again. ;)

Funny people, guitar enthusiasts. I'm glad I play the accordion.

Hey, mow your own lawn!

Drew
09-09-2012, 06:40 AM
eh... so basically, you want pretty much a custom 24 with a maple neck at a price range that would be on par with the custom 24. The great thing about the CEs were the simplicity, the understated looks, and a great middle of the road price. No need for ten tops or flamed necks. A simple opaque or trans finished alder/mahog body with a plain raw maple neck...dot inlays... maybe stainless frets as something different and a pau ferro or ebony board.

vchizzle
09-09-2012, 08:37 AM
If PRS were doing a reissue, one would think they'd keep to the specs of the original fairly closely. Doing an anniversary reissue only makes sense if it's that.

sergiodeblanc
09-09-2012, 12:37 PM
eh... so basically, you want pretty much a custom 24 with a maple neck at a price range that would be on par with the custom 24. The great thing about the CEs were the simplicity, the understated looks, and a great middle of the road price. No need for ten tops or flamed necks. A simple opaque or trans finished alder/mahog body with a plain raw maple neck...dot inlays... maybe stainless frets as something different and a pau ferro or ebony board.

Well I would think it would be a little different than a CU24, but I see your point on price. How many of you also see the price point as a defining feature of the CE line?

dmatthews
09-09-2012, 12:49 PM
I'll take a stoptail, 5 way switch, and a maple board please... with birdies.

Dirty Bob
09-09-2012, 01:25 PM
First I second Hans' idea...(Except...I would also want the option of mahogany with 59/09's and a push pull or Dragon I's with a five way rotary...also I am partial to 22 fret models)

Second...the CE's sound very very different than the customs...there is an immediacy and a snap/tightness to them that the customs do not have...I got my first CE in high school...and have loved them ever since....dusted off the second CE22 I ever got last night loaded with dragon i's, trem and five way rotary and ran it through my Mesa Rec rig.....which included my pedal board and an eq in the loop...holy crap it smokes...I thought to myself..."there was the tone I had been chasing recently!!!!"....made me kind of laugh at myself that I went full circle. (at least with that particular tone quest).

Very glad I held on to that guitar. Took the Metal out after....man that smoked too!!! .I love CE's.

I wouldn't really change a thing with them...except make them available again.

They are not a budget guitar...and they definitely have a very unique voice...by the way go tell Suhr, Anderson, Thorn, etc...that they make budget guitars (because of the bolt on neck).

Call 'em what you want ...in the end they rock and they are unique.

LSchefman
09-09-2012, 02:01 PM
I agree, the reason to buy one was never truly price, it was to have a bolt-on PRS with a certain feature set.

They were always super-nice guitars, as is the current SAS, which strikes me as a very nice guitar with the NF pickups and the bolt-on. CE fans really should try one of these, they're quite good, and the NFs are really fine pickups.

Em7
09-09-2012, 05:49 PM
They are not a budget guitar

However, that's exactly how PRS conceived and positioned the CE. The CE was the PRS SE of its day; namely, an affordable PRS that was within the reach of young guitarists who were mostly playing Super Strats (Gibson was on life support at that point in time). The first CEs were not met with a round of applause. It wasn't because they were not great guitars. It was because guitarists did not consider a CE to be a real PRS. A real PRS was a set-neck guitar. We all know better today. However, the guitar market was very different back in 1988 than it is today. Over time, the CE time the grew into the poor man's Custom.

Em7
09-09-2012, 05:51 PM
They were always super-nice guitars, as is the current SAS, which strikes me as a very nice guitar with the NF pickups and the bolt-on. CE fans really should try one of these, they're quite good, and the NFs are really fine pickups.

The SAS is a nice guitar, but it has a different performance envelope than the alder-bodied CE.

LSchefman
09-09-2012, 07:03 PM
The SAS is a nice guitar, but it has a different performance envelope than the alder-bodied CE.

Definitely true, but for bolt-on neck enthusiasts, it's a heck of a guitar.

Dirty Bob
09-10-2012, 12:13 AM
However, that's exactly how PRS conceived and positioned the CE. The CE was the PRS SE of its day; namely, an affordable PRS that was within the reach of young guitarists who were mostly playing Super Strats (Gibson was on life support at that point in time). The first CEs were not met with a round of applause. It wasn't because they were not great guitars. It was because guitarists did not consider a CE to be a real PRS. A real PRS was a set-neck guitar. We all know better today. However, the guitar market was very different back in 1988 than it is today. Over time, the CE time the grew into the poor man's Custom.

I got my first in 1994. I was in high school...it was the most I could afford at the time and it was a stretch.

MojoPin
09-10-2012, 05:34 AM
For me the price was absolutely a vital aspect of what made the CE so great. More expensive models are readily available and this was always a great point to get your first 'proper' PRS. It should be modern, practical and down-to-earth. Doing a super-pimped, luxury CE just doesn't seem to make any sense. My perfect CE would be:

Maple neck (no flame, not needed. A nice bonus maybe but not if it adds to the price)
Mahogany/alder body. Can't quite decide which, but personally I think I'd prefer the mahogany. Option for a maple cap.
Rosewood fingerboard w/ dot inlays, maybe birds option. Plain maple headstock in either matt black or naked maple, with the classic PRS signature in gold or black, respectively.
Locking tuners.
Stoptail/trem option
Coil split
A pickup upgrade would be nice - 59/09, perhaps. But classic pickups would still be cool.
An awesome selection of exclusive colours, much like the 'hot hues' ones.

That would be just about perfect in my eyes!

sergiodeblanc
09-10-2012, 02:19 PM
Thanks for playing along guys, there have been a lot of cool opinions as to what "makes" a CE a CE.

For those of us who would like a couple more "upscale" features available, would you be open to the possibility of purchasing flame maple necks and tops that fall outside of the PRS "standard" for their production models?

Without going through the entire PRS grading system, they originally used "about a 7" for the "classic" models. Could they do the same with some of their less figured necks and still leave you interested?

High commonality of material is an important part of any manufacturing process, and if the Artist package were still available for a new CE model, would you be cool with "classic" grade materials if that meant that birds came standard?
I'm not all that into birds personally, but it is a feature that most CE's were lacking, and a deal breaker for some potential customers.

VHTStark
09-10-2012, 02:28 PM
A friend has an old CE: alder body with a maple neck and fretboard. One of my absolute favourite guitars to play....and absolute rock monster that is so clear and cuts through a mix! I covet that guitar but he will not sell!

For me, my ultimate CE....one that I would buy....is pretty simple: Alder body with a maple neck and definitely a maple fretboard option.
Some cool options, but certainly NOT necessary would include: an ebony board option, flame/quilt maple top, figured neck and a stoptail option.

Em7
09-10-2012, 03:12 PM
I got my first in 1994. I was in high school...it was the most I could afford at the time and it was a stretch.

By 1994, the model had come a long way from the stripped-down alder-bodied instrument that debuted in 1988. An instrument that started out as PRS' answer to the Super Strat wound up as a poor man's Custom. The utilitarian metal bat toggle switch had been replaced with the rotary switch. One could even order a CE with a 10-top. The only thing left to do was to change the back from alder to mahogany.

Dirty Bob
09-10-2012, 04:50 PM
I love the earlier alder bodied CE's too...My very first was an LE run of 100 PRS did for Sam Ash. It was a CE-22 all mahogony with three way switching and 1st year McCarty Pups. Completely different animal than the originals and the eventual evolution of the line. I've played a couple of older Classic Electrics...very unique voice. In relation to the pics of the one you guys were referencing ...haven't played a CE that early.

Btw I wasnt arguing that the model wasnt designed to meet a specific price point...though at the same time I think the feature set, quality, sound, unique voice etc...warrant more than a casual glance over as a "Budget PRS". I just feel that the instrument has enough of its own vibe to distinguish itself from the rest of the set neck pack and is in fact a quality instrument.

Em7
09-11-2012, 11:07 AM
For those who have never seen an original '88 CE24, here's relatively unmolested example (the knobs are not original):

http://www.torpedoroom.com/BaM/parquet/1988%20Black%20CE%2024.jpg

Did you notice that the toggle switch has a metal bat and the headstock says "PRS Electric" instead of having Paul's signature? These stripped-down attributes are part of the charm of the original CE24. The original CE24 was a non-pretentious working man's PRS much in the same way that the basic Mira is a working man's PRS. The model incorporated all of the goodness of a PRS without the flash and associated cost. It was a PRS that no one was afraid to gig.

Dirty Bob
09-11-2012, 11:28 AM
For those who have never seen an original '88 CE24, here's relatively unmolested example (the knobs are not original):

Did you notice that the toggle switch has a metal bat and the headstock says "PRS Electric" instead of having Paul's signature? These stripped-down attributes are part of the charm of the original CE24. The original CE24 was a non-pretentious working man's PRS much in the same way that the basic Mira is a working man's PRS. The model incorporated all of the goodness of a PRS without the flash and associated cost. It was a PRS that no one was afraid to gig.

good old straight ahead badassery right there!

james
09-11-2012, 11:30 AM
I always thought this Hot Hues Blazing Coppper CE Mahog was pretty sharp. anyone have one?

http://www.prsguitars.com/forum_img/uploads/ce_mahog_blazingcopper.jpg

Cherry Mahog, just because

http://www.prsguitars.com/forum_img/uploads/ce_mahog_cherry.jpg

james
09-11-2012, 11:33 AM
Alder ain't shabby either

http://www.prsguitars.com/forum_img/uploads/ce_alder.jpg

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
09-11-2012, 11:38 AM
good old straight ahead badassery right there!

I totally agree. I've owned about 65 PRS guitars through the years and have never had one of these. They aren't exactly easy to find.

MojoPin
09-11-2012, 11:41 AM
I always thought this Hot Hues Blazing Coppper CE Mahog was pretty sharp. anyone have one?

That's the colour I always wanted - fantastic! If PRS were to bring them back I'd love to see more like these, that just stand out a little from the usual PRS colour options.

LSchefman
09-11-2012, 12:11 PM

It's on the floor because you're going to do the guitar version of the Saber Dance, right? Please post the video to YouTube... ;)

RcRogers
09-11-2012, 12:16 PM
I just picked up my 2nd PRS guitar... a 2006 CE22 gold top :) It is brand "new" in the case. Shipped to Willcutt Guitars by PRS in 2006 and never sold until now ;) It compliments my 2012 Stripped '58 gold top quite well. Some quick pictures...

http://skypilotrock.com/temp/prs-ce22-gold-top-10.jpg
http://skypilotrock.com/temp/prs-ce22-gold-top-1.jpg
http://skypilotrock.com/temp/prs-ce22-gold-top-6.jpg

Em7
09-11-2012, 12:18 PM
It's on the floor because you're going to do the guitar version of the Saber Dance, right? Please post the video to YouTube... ;)

The guitar belongs to another forum member.

Em7
09-11-2012, 12:26 PM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ;21890']I totally agree. I've owned about 65 PRS guitars through the years and have never had one of these. They aren't exactly easy to find.

That's why I am pleased to announce the creation of the 25th Anniversary Original CE24 Lobby. :D

sergiodeblanc
09-11-2012, 01:40 PM
That's why I am pleased to announce the creation of the 25th Anniversary Original CE24 Lobby. :D

This is kind of like the Peoples Front of Judea vs The Judean Peoples Front.

sergiodeblanc
09-11-2012, 02:04 PM

For the record,

I have no problem with this.

Em7
09-11-2012, 02:05 PM
This is kind of like the Peoples Front of Judea vs The Judean Peoples Front.

No, it's more like a single election cycle, single-issue special interest group versus a political movement. Most of the posters in this thread clearly want to see the return of the poor man's Custom as part of the line. I am focused on lobbying PRS to produce a 25th anniversary limited edition of the 1988 PRS Electric (a.k.a. Original CE24) in all of its stripped-down glory.

slev
09-11-2012, 03:42 PM
There it is...that is pretty close to IT for me on a "new" CE

http://www.prsguitars.com/forum_img/uploads/ce_mahog_cherry.jpg[/QUOTE]

Cave71
09-11-2012, 04:13 PM
I would love to see CEs made available again....in all their various wood combinations, with birds, moons and dots. They are GREAT guitars (IMO) and dare I suggest, every bit as good as set neck models They are just different. I'd also like to see "regular production" set maple neck Custom 22s and 24s. And while I'm at it, might I suggest bringing back Dragon I's, too......My stash is going to run out one day, I'm sure :-)

cjmwrx
09-11-2012, 05:44 PM
Out of my 3 PRSi my CE is only 2nd to my Rosewood CU24. I LOVE my CE. VB/HFS combo which is my favorite combo.

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l632/gibmarsh/P9112757.jpg

Though I am really starting to dig the 59/09s in my Cu24.

Dirty Bob
09-11-2012, 07:55 PM
I just picked up my 2nd PRS guitar... a 2006 CE22 gold top :) It is brand "new" in the case. Shipped to Willcutt Guitars by PRS in 2006 and never sold until now ;) It compliments my 2012 Stripped '58 gold top quite well. Some quick pictures...

http://skypilotrock.com/temp/prs-ce22-gold-top-10.jpg
http://skypilotrock.com/temp/prs-ce22-gold-top-1.jpg
http://skypilotrock.com/temp/prs-ce22-gold-top-6.jpg
I almost pulled the trigger on this guitar like 20 different times...congrats!

MojoPin
09-12-2012, 03:49 AM

Beautiful! Love the CE22 and McCarty Soapbar in Goldtop...it just works, doesn't it?

RcRogers
09-12-2012, 07:09 AM
I almost pulled the trigger on this guitar like 20 different times...congrats!

I talked them way down, so the price was right ;) Plays like a dream and is super punchy.

ExpatGirl
09-16-2012, 03:50 AM
An alder body with a mahogany top and an artist 10 option

A maple neck with a rosewood fretboard option

A wide variety of finishes with a custom option

A three-way toggle with individual coil taps for each pickup

A choice of tremelo and stoptail bridges

Old school birds

sergiodeblanc
09-19-2012, 01:50 PM
Could everybody get excited about alder being the designated characteristic of what a new CE line would be all about?
What if the new artist package options were available for the new CE?

sergiodeblanc
10-08-2012, 12:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tammp7spVFM

Mike Duncan
10-08-2012, 06:40 AM
I wondered what happened to the Goldtop...I have looked at that guitar almost everyday since it arrived in '06. I too almost bought it about 20 times.!

lucasf89
10-08-2012, 04:28 PM
I own a 2002 CE 22, and I LOVE that guitar. That being said, one of the things I like about CE's is that you can find them for a fraction of what some of the other PRS's go for, so I'd like to see it kept in a lower price point. If I were going to do it, I say:
-Standard bolt on maple neck
-Rosewood or maple board option
-CE unique inlays, as opposed to old birds or new birds, something exclusive.
-Those cool faux bone buttons like on the DGT
-Flat black headstock cover like the older CE's.
-Volume/Tone, 3 way switch and x2 mini toggles like the 408 for coil splitting
-Whatever pickups suit the guitar best, I'd lean towards the 59/09's myself.
-Classic hardware look, without the hybrid gold/silver thing
-Mahogany body, and a plain maple top(I still think plain maple is beautiful, and I imagine that would help keep the price point down)

Some starting points!

rugerpc
10-08-2012, 04:38 PM
I need the option of a fully adjustable stoptail....

Stormin
10-09-2012, 08:17 PM
I'll take a stoptail, 5 way switch, and a maple board please... with birdies.

How about this? Maple neck with birds, Dragon I's and a Sweet Switch.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j7/Stormin70/prs_cem_2.jpg

sergiodeblanc
03-14-2014, 02:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tammp7spVFM

:hello:

WEDGE
03-14-2014, 06:12 AM
How about this? Maple neck with birds, Dragon I's and a Sweet Switch.

I would say hell yes as long as the maple board does not have the fugly black faced headstock overlay.

TFC
03-14-2014, 08:18 AM
I'm in:

Alder back
Solid color maple top (black, white, seafoam)
Pattern Regular maple neck
24 fret rosewood board/black headstock or maple board/maple headstock, both with dots
visible side markers ;)
Phase IIs or IIIs
59/09s or 59/09 bridge, VB neck
vol, push/pull tone, 3-way metal toggle
7.5-8.0 lbs

Price would be paramount. The only reason I got into PRS was I found a USA model that I could actually afford - a used '97 CE24. Price it too high and I've got no interest. I've owned 4 over the years (still have 2) and they have all been outstanding.

growboxguy
03-14-2014, 08:43 AM
Reading through the thread I did'nt realize CE's were available with a 10 top. Did PRS put "10" on the headstock like they did on the CU models? Here are a couple pics of my '01 CE22, looks close to a 10 top to me but no "10" on the headstock...

http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y424/ACtechwi/Guitars%20etc/20140312_122722_zpsd480f681.jpg

http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y424/ACtechwi/Guitars%20etc/20140312_122753_zpsa92347e8.jpg

http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y424/ACtechwi/Guitars%20etc/20140312_152042_zpsc94ebaa7.jpg