PDA

View Full Version : Has any one tried EV12L's for a 2x12 cab with 50 watt amp?

Soul&Tone
09-18-2012, 04:13 PM
If you have, how do they compare to Celestion Vintage 30?

Thanks

Woundtight
09-18-2012, 05:41 PM
Good question, I have been wondering myself...

I have an OS 2X12 Bogner with V30s. I have a 2X12 Marshall with Greenbacks. The Bogner cab sounds better with Marshall, Mesa, Shiva, Lynx. My Two-Rock Studio Pro 50 sounds amazing with the Greenbacks. T-R sounds like crap with Bogner Cab and Bad Cat 1x12 with a V30. I think it sounds just plain bad with V30s.

I want a new 2x12 for the T-R. I am thinking a Kerry Wright 2X12 with an EV12L and something else, maybe a Greenback. Maybe a pair of EV12Ls, but it would weigh as much as a 4x12 cab...

What kind of amp are you using? What kind of music do you play? What kind of cab do you have/are you thinking about?

Soul&Tone
09-18-2012, 06:43 PM
I have a 25 th anniversary with 2x12 pine cab vintage 30's. 2x12 birch cab with one celestion alinco blue and one gold used with re issue jtm 45 that is now sold. Considering a new amp purchase that stays clean longer without breaking up at louder volumes (MDT like Brent Mason's or comparable twin, ect...) Looking for stereo.

I primarily play for my church but I also play country, blues and classics (allman bros. primarlily). Due to work right now I only play on sundays.

EV 12L's would go into a birch enclosure to play with 25th anniversary. I have heard that EV12L's are great for 100 watt amps but I do not know how they are with 50 watt amps.

LSchefman
09-18-2012, 07:29 PM
I have an OS 2X12 Bogner with V30s. I have a 2X12 Marshall with Greenbacks. The Bogner cab sounds better with Marshall, Mesa, Shiva, Lynx. My Two-Rock Studio Pro 50 sounds amazing with the Greenbacks. T-R sounds like crap with Bogner Cab and Bad Cat 1x12 with a V30. I think it sounds just plain bad with V30s.

I've had several TRs (great amps!), and they do sound very good with Greenbacks.

TRs are bright amps with a lot of upper midrange, and the V-30s are pretty bright speakers with gobs of upper midrange, so the combination tends to get somewhat ice-picky. Also TRs sound better with open or semi-open backed cabs than they do with closed-back cabs. I will say, though, that I did a lot of recording with the Onyxes I had and a closed back Bogner OS 2x12. Sounded pretty bad in the room, but great through a 57. So there's that.

The best cab I ever used for recording a Two-Rock was a vintage late 60s/early 70s Marshall 4x12 with the original Greenbacks. It was amazing sounding. But I also thought that both my Onyx Sigs and Custom Reverb Sigs matched up very well with Mesa Black Shadow 90s (basically Celestion 80s tweaked for Mesa). Oddly enough, I liked these combinations better for my music than the matching TR 212 with TR65 speakers, though that was also a nice cab with the amps for certain styles, just a little less "rock & roll."

Woundtight
09-18-2012, 11:34 PM
Whoa, 25th Anniversary Head & 2x12 cab? I wouldn't change a thing.

50W and 2 EV12Ls I think would be overkill. You could experiment with 1 EV12L and some other speaker...but I would leave well enough alone and maybe look at a different cab & speaker(s)

EV12L will work with a 50W amp. I have a friend that plays in a funk band with a Port City OS 1X12 with an EV12L. Sounds great, it takes alot to get it to break up.

Woundtight
09-18-2012, 11:47 PM
I've had several TRs (great amps!), and they do sound very good with Greenbacks.

TRs are bright amps with a lot of upper midrange, and the V-30s are pretty bright speakers with gobs of upper midrange, so the combination tends to get somewhat ice-picky. Also TRs sound better with open or semi-open backed cabs than they do with closed-back cabs. I will say, though, that I did a lot of recording with the Onyxes I had and a closed back Bogner OS 2x12. Sounded pretty bad in the room, but great through a 57. So there's that.

The best cab I ever used for recording a Two-Rock was a vintage late 60s/early 70s Marshall 4x12 with the original Greenbacks. It was amazing sounding. But I also thought that both my Onyx Sigs and Custom Reverb Sigs matched up very well with Mesa Black Shadow 90s (basically Celestion 80s tweaked for Mesa). Oddly enough, I liked these combinations better for my music than the matching TR 212 with TR65 speakers, though that was also a nice cab with the amps for certain styles, just a little less "rock & roll."

Right on. Les. T-R with Greenbacks or CL80 rocks!

LSchefman
09-19-2012, 11:38 AM
Right on. Les. T-R with Greenbacks or CL80 rocks!

I'm a TR fanboy for sure. The amps are wonderful, and I really like the guys.

Soul&Tone
09-19-2012, 05:55 PM
Whoa, 25th Anniversary Head & 2x12 cab? I wouldn't change a thing.

50W and 2 EV12Ls I think would be overkill. You could experiment with 1 EV12L and some other speaker...but I would leave well enough alone and maybe look at a different cab & speaker(s)

EV12L will work with a 50W amp. I have a friend that plays in a funk band with a Port City OS 1X12 with an EV12L. Sounds great, it takes alot to get it to break up.

The EV12L for clean tones is what I am looking for and may be at better use with my second amp purchase. Still demoing, undecided at this time.

Soul.com
08-04-2013, 12:07 PM
I don't have EMV12Ls, plural, in anything but can highly recommend a barely smaller but lighter choice: I bought an over-sized Fuchs 112 cab with the EVM12L, including a solid or partial back via removable panel over approximately 1/3 of the back. It's well over-sized, pretty heavy but not so much as a 212. It sounds bigger, much fatter and deeper than a normal 112, getting into unexceptional 412 country. A Mesa slant 112 with the Thiele port would probably sound much the same; you'd have a leftover Black Shadow speaker. You're definitely on the right track, especially for clean playing techniques. BTW, I'm often using a very wonderful, 100-watt EL-34 Mesa Royal Atlantic head with the Fuchs 112 and EVM and a Mesa 412 with V.30s as well, both glorious for clean tones but the Mesa buzzes. I fear it's a speaker cone problem. I'd get four EVMs in it or Alnico Elegante 12"s from Austin SpeakerWorks if $$ were less of a concern, but would also have to hire somebody moving the Mesa 412 (as well as the heavy head) if gigging with the beasts...