PDA

View Full Version : PRS's biggest failure, sales wise.

Modern Eagle
09-25-2012, 11:22 PM
I love PRS, have owned dozens over the past twenty years and still do.
While I consider great instruments most of the different models PRS has put out, I was wondering which model was their biggest failure regarding sales.
I assume one model must be the least wanted, the one which sold less units.
Wonder which one.

aduayer
09-25-2012, 11:30 PM
don't know it, but I think the McCarty MD and Santana MD were a big mistake. The Modern Eagle 3, I like, but looks like they didn't sell much, at least I don't see many of those around.

Modern Eagle
09-25-2012, 11:44 PM
Yeah...I used to own a McCarty II. Nice guitar but those electronics...:evil:

sergiodeblanc
09-26-2012, 12:00 AM
Gotta be the rasta-colored CU24, there were only like three!:(

CE-man
09-26-2012, 12:36 AM
Early EG's didn't fly very well.

Twinfan
09-26-2012, 03:19 AM
The NF3 hasn't been much of a hit here in the UK, they're discounted like crazy.

Canadian PRSGUY
09-26-2012, 05:16 AM
Basses & left hand guitars. Failure no just market otherwise they would be regular product. I remember hearing Paul speak at a clinic in MI and someone asked Paul when they were going to make a 12 string he replied "we do just order a PS". So a few years back they started making them yet I have never seen one in person. I really don't think they are any failures as a company they need to see what people want and bare. The market is soft PRS is not going to produce a few guitars for the few they could sell them to. The flip side those will be the guitars worth $$ someday maybe. The metal model they couldn't give away now people pay ridiculous amounts for a paint job. I think it would be failure if the didn't put it it out and 5yrs down the line regret it because something caught on. I honestly can't keep up with all the models anymore, not sure how someone can't find a PRS the don't like they sure have the ground covered. The models that have a decline in sales they simply discontinue I don't think it's failure rather the model had reached the end of a run. The last thing people want to see is the same guitar hanging on a wall for the next 3yrs every time they stop into their favourite shop. Variety is the spice of life and it shows up on forums like this everyday.

themike
09-26-2012, 08:06 AM
x2 for the left handed guitars.

rugerpc
09-26-2012, 08:43 AM
The number of artist designed or endorsed guitars in the lineup is staggering. I'd like to see the numbers on which ones are really hot (think Santana and DGT and Grainger bass) and which are not (no way I'm insulting anyone here!).

I can't say that I would ever buy a guitar JUST because some artist has his name on it - there needs to be a better reason. My favorite guitarist is David Gilmour, but there is absolutely no chance that I'm going to rush off for a Gilmour strat.

The guitar I play most in the office is one of the original Santana SEs with the relief bevel on the upper bout rear. I play it because it is just so friggin comfortable, not because Santana's name is on it.

I will pay homage to Santana for the idea of the SE line though. What insight - a line for new players to spread their wings and still own a PRS.

A ramble to be sure, but back on topic, I'm thinkin' that aside from the three I mention above, the artist models are probably at the bottom of the sales numbers.

Fox77
09-26-2012, 09:15 AM
the artist models are probably at the bottom of the sales numbers.

I've heard at the PRS Benelux Experience day that the DGT and the Tremonti (the second one, not the one with the name tag on the 12th fret) are best-sellers. That's probably the case because these are guitars that seem to appeal to a wide audience, more than just the fans of the guitarists whose names are on the guitars. I'm one of them: before I studied the PRS catalogue more closely, I'd never heard of David Grissom. Even though I now dig his sound and his playing, his music is not what I usually listen too. However, I do own a DGT Standard because that model sounds awesome and has nice features such as jumbo frets and dual volumes.

Also read that a lot of the people who own the Tremonti model bought it because of its features and versatility rather than because they were fans of Mark('s music). Admittedly, a lot of people change pickups but that doesn't detract from the model's popularity. One day I'll own a Tremonti as well. Not because I'm a fan (which I am, of both Alter Bridge and his solo project), but because it's an awesome guitar.

Would be interesting to hear some official numbers on that. Not absolute numbers, but just percentages.

slowro
09-26-2012, 12:14 PM
The single pickup custom 24 ;)

LSchefman
09-26-2012, 12:58 PM
My only comment is that PRS innovates, and innovation involves a certain degree of risk.

I don't think a model not selling well equates with failure.

On the contrary, I think risk and innovation are part of the formula for PRS' achievements and successes.

So instead of talking about a failure, I'd credit the models that didn't sell well as steps on a path leading to discovery.

wilerty
09-26-2012, 01:12 PM
The 25th Anniversary birds and headstock inlays ... on anything.

sergiodeblanc
09-26-2012, 01:31 PM
The 25th Anniversary birds and headstock inlays ... on anything.

I kind of like the headstock inlays on those.

Kelly
09-26-2012, 09:44 PM
The first amp line would be my guess.

Harker1440
09-27-2012, 06:39 AM
Mira X

SharkAtl
09-27-2012, 07:57 AM
The NF3 hasn't been much of a hit here in the UK, they're discounted like crazy.

You should get off your computer, go to the local store that has discounted "like crazy" and buy it as soon as possible. This is an absolutely fantastic guitar!!!!

rugerpc
09-27-2012, 08:26 AM

My HG70 alive and kickin'

I bought this used as an 'investment' because so few were produced. I still play it now and then to remind myself why I'm not playing it.

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w382/rugerpc/Guitars/PRS%20Core%20Amps/HG70.jpg

slev
09-27-2012, 11:26 AM
25th McCarty NF. Nothing to do with tone, I love the NFs but they just look odd in the McCarty body.

RickO
09-27-2012, 04:59 PM

Have to agree with this.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
09-27-2012, 06:08 PM
I think the Harmonic Generators were cool amps. PRS was a very small company back then and they came into being at a time when music was changing. A lot. Vintage tone and hand-wired quality weren't mainstream. Grunge was a flash in the pan. Then things changed again. "Failure" might not be the right word.

Is this thread about bad ideas or production numbers? If the later, Chesapeake instruments wins the prize. Only 19 "production" guitars were made bearing the Chesapeake brand name (as built by Private Stock) before it was shut down. Again... "failure" might not be the right word.

CE-man
09-27-2012, 11:53 PM

I bought this used as an 'investment' because so few were produced. I still play it now and then to remind myself why I'm not playing it.

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w382/rugerpc/Guitars/PRS%20Core%20Amps/HG70.jpg

LMAO!

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
09-28-2012, 10:12 AM

That's because you're wearing the wrong pants.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_4j5HYMrdk-I/S83RlBYRPsI/AAAAAAAAATU/WQFOox6Co94/s1600/80s.jpg

LSchefman
09-29-2012, 02:09 PM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;23983']That's because you're wearing the wrong pants.

Can we get PRS to make those pants in paisley?

rugerpc
09-30-2012, 12:42 PM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;23983']That's because you're wearing the wrong pants.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_4j5HYMrdk-I/S83RlBYRPsI/AAAAAAAAATU/WQFOox6Co94/s1600/80s.jpg

EEErrrrr.... When I play the HG70, I usually just take of my pants.....

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
09-30-2012, 01:34 PM
EEErrrrr.... When I play the HG70, I usually just take of my pants.....
:rofl:

Jhenri
10-01-2012, 06:05 AM
My guess would be the Billy Martin Se

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
10-01-2012, 09:26 AM
My guess would be the Billy Martin Se

prior to this post, I've never even heard of it.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/profile_mojo_data/1/0/7/9/1079432/pics/_c878605_image_0.jpg

ACE
10-01-2012, 05:18 PM
Some of their failures were real turds, like the McCarty II and the 25th McCarty with narrowfields. Others turned out to be collector's items like the Metal model which didn't fly off the shelf when it was introduced but is now a collectors piece.

docbennett
10-02-2012, 07:52 AM
Despite my opinion to the extreme contrary (I love them in all my guitars that have them) I have read consistently that the #7 pickups were not enthusiastically received, nor are they welcomed on many guitars being sold in the "after-market" (that's fancy for "used guitars").

t.shamone
10-03-2012, 02:30 PM

Here's one of them. Who's got the other two?

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz25/tshamone/glassy2.jpg

themike
10-03-2012, 02:42 PM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;24235']prior to this post, I've never even heard of it.

It was actually one of the first SE guitars along with original SE Santana.

sergiodeblanc
10-03-2012, 02:42 PM

Rasclaat!!! I was only joking about that being a failure. Hold on to that one for"I"ver!

Dirty Bob
10-03-2012, 02:45 PM

Mmmmmm......want!

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
10-03-2012, 02:51 PM
Mmmmmm......want!

Me too, Bob. Me too.

rugerpc
10-03-2012, 02:58 PM

THIS is one of those interesting, makes you go, "hhhhhmmmmmmmmm" moments.

That color scheme does absolutely nothing for me, yet Bob and Hans are droolin'. Is there any question now why more choices is a good thing? We all see things differently.

sergiodeblanc
10-03-2012, 03:02 PM
THIS is one of those interesting, makes you go, "hhhhhmmmmmmmmm" moments.

That color scheme does absolutely nothing for me, yet Bob and Hans are droolin'. Is there any question now why more choices is a good thing? We all see things differently.

Hey I'm drooling too! I saw these twenty years ago and have been haunted ever since. Are three people enough of a demographic for a limited SE finish from a Colorasta distributer?

Dirty Bob
10-03-2012, 03:05 PM
i want the original!!!

In all seriousness...an SE would be cool....

But I want THE guitar... the error is the one calling my name!

t.shamone
10-03-2012, 03:49 PM
http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz25/tshamone/Other%20Stuff/CarlosSantana.jpg

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/smoke/toke.gif

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
10-03-2012, 03:52 PM
It isn't even about the colors scheme for me. It's an iconic PRS from the early days. Having one in "The Collection" would be nice.

rugerpc
10-03-2012, 03:59 PM
I get the symbolism. I get the desire to own a rarity. But, it is still another guitar that I probably would not play and would have to eventually cull - perhaps at a loss....

Dirty Bob
10-03-2012, 04:14 PM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;24554']It isn't even about the colors scheme for me. It's an iconic PRS from the early days. Having one in "The Collection" would be nice.

Yep....

As would an 89 sig in VY:flute:....I wish.

sergiodeblanc
10-03-2012, 04:20 PM
For me it would be about the color scheme, I could use its magical properties to "chant down Babylon".

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
10-03-2012, 08:41 PM
Yep....

As would an 89 sig in VY:flute:....I wish.
Don't remind me.

markie
10-03-2012, 10:11 PM

Yummy....................... I want one too :rock:

Mr.Brett
11-18-2012, 05:37 PM
thank you all for your assistance and help regarding the prs santana rasta, I received a lot of information from you guys that I had no idea about, I learned a lot and I really appreciate your time & attention. I got all the information I wanted and please keep up the good work in this forum, IŽll stick around for sure.
Cheers.
C.

Fox77
11-20-2012, 10:38 AM
I do like the Rasta's shown above, but my favourite Rasta PRS would be this one:

http://www.prsguitars.com/privatestock/gallery/img/1668b.jpg

t.shamone
11-23-2012, 09:30 AM
That's a nice and probably expensive attempt on the theme. Too bad they got it wrong. The colors always have to read green, gold and red from left to right.

Dirty Bob
11-23-2012, 09:54 AM
That's a nice and probably expensive attempt on the theme. Too bad they got it wrong. The colors always have to read green, gold and red from left to right.

Depends on from what point on the guitar you are looking at....the center part does...and they reversed it for symmetry...looks good to me if you look at it from the middle.

BostonGuitar
11-23-2012, 10:19 AM
Biggest FAIL had to be the DGT goldtop with old birds...
They only made about 20 of them and realized what a mistake they had made...

:rolleyes:

Jay Xander B
11-23-2012, 12:36 PM
I kinda like that billy SE very bare-bones vibe to it, excluding the weird green inlay, if it was just green dots/moons then it'd be much better =3

hippietim
01-29-2013, 12:30 PM
Learn something new every day - I had no idea that PRS made bongo stands.

rugerpc
01-29-2013, 01:14 PM

It's now in my office being an mp3 player stand...

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
01-29-2013, 01:22 PM

:laugh: :rofl: :D

Sage
05-03-2013, 11:29 AM
Let's be clear here: a failure is when consumers don't respond with demand commensurate with the producer's investment in the product. Limited editions and one-offs still count, but ONLY if the demand is still not great enough to consume that limited supply.

LSchefman
05-03-2013, 01:06 PM
In retrospect, one of the biggest disappintments, sales wise, was the PS Howard Leese Golden Eagle replica. It took a long time for dealers to move the stock and I noticed many languishing on eBay for a long time. I wish I hadn't traded my #001/100 from that run.

Replica guitars are weird enough, but I think the decision to duplicate the plug in the top like the original was a deal breaker for a lot of people.

As great a player, musician and producer as Howard is -- and I take my hat off to him -- that guitar is not iconic enough that folks would line up for it. Howard played a lot of guitars over the years. Nice idea, but didn't make a lot of sense.

guitarsong
05-03-2013, 01:57 PM
Cheer up Sergio, to the best of my knowledge no more than 12 Santana Tri-color Custom 24's were made. So that leaves 11 for you!:biggrin:

sergiodeblanc
05-03-2013, 02:03 PM
Cheer up Sergio, to the best of my knowledge no more than 12 Santana Tri-color Custom 24's were made. So that leaves 11 for you!:biggrin:
????????????!

guitarsong
05-03-2013, 02:15 PM
My mistake Sergio, I thought you wanted one of the original rastas.

jfb
05-03-2013, 02:57 PM
????????????!

One for me please.

Rango
05-03-2013, 03:22 PM
I can't say that I would ever buy a guitar JUST because some artist has his name on it - there needs to be a better reason. My favorite guitarist is David Gilmour, but there is absolutely no chance that I'm going to rush off for a Gilmour strat.

Mine TOO!

...and I owned the NOS Gilmour Strat. Trust me, the MAGIC isn't from that Guitar. ;)

I WOULD LOVE to see what Mr. Gilmour would sound like with say a "Paul's Guitar" in his hands. :D Yes, I know it would sound like him but I think it might even be MORE wonderful to listen too! ;)

prscat33511
05-03-2013, 04:54 PM
+1
too many artists series

The PRS line is a work of art in and of itself
Woods and colors are awesome

I think the vari-tone-like pickup selector knobs
were a mistake, but I think thats been remedied

IMHO, of course

FWIW I LOVE my SE Custom 24
Can't wait to hold my very own 408

sergiodeblanc
05-03-2013, 05:54 PM
My mistake Sergio, I thought you wanted one of the original rastas.

No mistake what-so-Iver my friend! I was just under the impression that there were only three made, my post just reflected the mini-stroke I was having knowing there are more out there.

helmi
05-03-2013, 06:40 PM
I kind of like the headstock inlays on those.

ME TOO!

helmi
05-03-2013, 06:44 PM
Some of their failures were real turds, like the McCarty II and the 25th McCarty with narrowfields. Others turned out to be collector's items like the Metal model which didn't fly off the shelf when it was introduced but is now a collectors piece.

I must personally disagree. i think my mccarty 25 nf is the best sounding guitar i have heard in my 30+ yrs of guitar playing. and with that, i will meet you at the flag pole after school to mano-mano this one out!!! (lol)

Jake Strickland
12-10-2013, 02:36 PM
]Early EG's didn't fly very well.[/FONT]

I can respect the opinions of those who aren't EG fans. My personal EG experience goes like this. I bought an EG Series II H/S/H NEW IN 1992. I never was totally happy with it, but I held on to it anyway. Now, 20 years later I really like it. My playing style changed and now I am able to get more out of the EG by playing with a lighter touch and a tad more finesse. The guitar didn't grow on me, I grew into the guitar.

:congrats: :prslogo:

tabl10s
12-13-2013, 10:41 AM

Rasta's always say "Red, Gold & Green".

sergiodeblanc
12-13-2013, 12:50 PM
Rasta's always say "Red, Gold & Green".

You mean like this Ras?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmcA9LIIXWw

Peep the order on the official Ethiopian Pony Flag.
http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p506/sergiodeblanc/ethiopian_flag_pony_by_radarwing-d4sllmi_zpsedc0197e.png (http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/sergiodeblanc/media/ethiopian_flag_pony_by_radarwing-d4sllmi_zpsedc0197e.png.html)