PDA

View Full Version : V12 Finish Chipping Near Fretboard

soundbee
10-08-2012, 08:59 PM
Hi there...

So I've got a 2012 Cu24 which I absolutely love. I've got quite a few other guitars that have naturally "reliced" over years of use - so I'm no stranger to and not really bothered by the "less than perfectly smooth" neck. However, I've read a bit about the virtues of the newer v12 finishes - and I'm seeing on "my precious" a possible chink in the armor. Where the finish meets the fretboard it seems that something has caused the finish to flake off a bit (see image). The larger circle is definitely more noticeable where the smaller of the two seems to be the start of a newer blemish point.

http://solasus.com/html/IMG_0017_highlight.jpg

This isn't really in a place that would distract playing much - but my questions are:

1) is this a known "weak spot" where the open wood is a point where moisture can be introduced into the wood (sweaty hands, general humidity, etc...) and cause some issue where the finish meets?

2) If I don't want to send (can't bear to part with) the instrument to the fine folks at PTC, is there a recommended diy repair method? e.g. light sanding around the chip edges w/ super ultra fine and then gently seal the edges with some L'Oreal clear nail polish ...?

Thanks in advance!
-Kevin

prsguitarman101
10-08-2012, 09:36 PM
I have heard of several problems with the V12 finish like that, not sure what the best course of action would be though.
:408mt:

Harker1440
10-09-2012, 07:21 AM
It's under warranty contact PTC and send it back to be fixed!! Simple. You need to have it fixed professionally I have a friend who had the same issues sent in to PTC and now the guitar looks like brand new

Dirty Bob
10-09-2012, 08:17 AM
Happened to me too...PTC fixed it perfectly! Give Shawn a call.

soundbee
10-09-2012, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the input.

Begs another question though... for folks that this has happened to, does it appear again in other places?
I've no doubt that PTC would rock it, but will I end up having to send it back 2, 3, 4 times (or maybe once a year when seasons change, etc...)???

Twinfan
10-09-2012, 08:56 AM
At least one guitar with the issue had a complete refinish. if it goes back to the PTC, it only goes back once... ;)

crgtr
10-09-2012, 09:17 AM
I sent Abby in & they did an awesome job on her. Total refin. Came back smelling like fresh V12. I would send yours back & let them take care of it.
Before
http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd490/crgtr/photobucket-2411-1337952456264.jpg
After
http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd490/crgtr/PRS%20SIG%20LTD/IMG_2903.jpghttp://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd490/crgtr/PRS%20SIG%20LTD/IMG_2900.jpg

David Eaton
10-09-2012, 11:34 AM
I have that happening with a 2002 HB1, but I haven't noticed it on any of my other guitars. On the HB it started probably a year or two after I bought the guitar, and while it makes me go hmm, at times, it hasn't really bothered me.

cjmwrx
10-09-2012, 11:53 AM
I have it happening on 2009 Cu24 rosewood. Slightest little bump and the finish lifts off the body.

I bought mine used, so I don't have any recourse other than to pay to have it fixed. A little disappointing.

The finish around this screw lifted with the slightest of pressure. And every other ding on the body, the same thing happens.

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l632/gibmarsh/PA082779.jpg

soundbee
10-09-2012, 01:21 PM
arrrgh... I just realized that I gave away my shipping box to a buddy - this very past weekend. Next stop Guitar Center to see if they can part with a cardboard box - if not $85 from PTC (although does include shipping to them).

Daniel
10-09-2012, 08:43 PM
arrrgh... I just realized that I gave away my shipping box to a buddy - this very past weekend. Next stop Guitar Center to see if they can part with a cardboard box - if not $85 from PTC (although does include shipping to them).

Where are you located? I have several boxes.

soundbee
10-09-2012, 08:56 PM
Where are you located? I have several boxes.

Upstate NY - near Albany.

Michael B
10-10-2012, 07:17 AM
Albany....Saratoga Springs here!! Whazzzup!!

Fox77
10-10-2012, 08:01 AM
I sent Abby in & they did an awesome job on her. Total refin. Came back smelling like fresh V12. I would send yours back & let them take care of it.

Chris: no issues since?

I have a spot like that on my DGT Std and I'm wondering if I should even bother if there is a chance that it's coming back.

crgtr
10-10-2012, 08:17 AM
Chris: no issues since?

Not a single issue. She plays & looks like a million bucks.(wish she was worth that much!)

Fox77
10-10-2012, 08:21 AM
Not a single issue. She plays & looks like a million bucks.(wish she was worth that much!)

Cool! Thanks for your reply.

soundbee
10-10-2012, 05:28 PM
Albany....Saratoga Springs here!! Whazzzup!!

Hey neighbor. I'm actually in the Troy not far from HVCC. Get up to your neck of the woods every so often - in fact was walking along b-way last weekend ;-)

Thanks for the reply folks! I've sent of the request to PTC. Will post after pics once I get'er back.

Daniel
10-11-2012, 11:44 PM
Upstate NY - near Albany.

Dang, I'm in SC. A bit far away to be of help.

Jet Whitey
10-12-2012, 04:59 AM
I have a few extra boxes, but I'm in Alabama!

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r312/Teasme4764/Boxes-1.jpg

JDutch
10-16-2012, 09:30 AM
I've seen several people post about this issue (with pics) on several different forums since purchasing a new P22 artist package last Thursday.

I don't want to return the guitar if this is a fairly isolated issue, but I don't necessarily want to take the chance that my guitar will be one of the ones with finish-related issues. Even if the finish-related issues start during the 24-hour approval period, the dealer isn't going to take the guitar back if the finish chips while it's in my possession. And, what good does sending the guitar back for warranty repair do if PRS is just going to apply the same super fragile finish?

I wish PRS would've held off on releasing guitars with the V12 finish until these issues had been sorted out. I, for one, would rather have had a guitar with the old finish, even if it allegedly sounded a little worse, than a guitar with a finish that falls apart when you look at it.

Apologies for the negative post. I love PRS guitars, and as a Maryland native, I couldn't be prouder of PRS as a company. But, this P22 is my dream guitar, and I'm bummed that the excitement over receiving it is being compromised by this issue.

dprather
10-16-2012, 10:07 AM
I've seen several people post about this issue (with pics) on several different forums since purchasing a new P22 artist package last Thursday.

I don't want to return the guitar if this is a fairly isolated issue, but I don't necessarily want to take the chance that my guitar will be one of the ones with finish-related issues. Even if the finish-related issues start during the 24-hour approval period, the dealer isn't going to take the guitar back if the finish chips while it's in my possession. And, what good does sending the guitar back for warranty repair do if PRS is just going to apply the same super fragile finish?

I wish PRS would've held off on releasing guitars with the V12 finish until these issues had been sorted out. I, for one, would rather have had a guitar with the old finish, even if it allegedly sounded a little worse, than a guitar with a finish that falls apart when you look at it.

Apologies for the negative post. I love PRS guitars, and as a Maryland native, I couldn't be prouder of PRS as a company. But, this P22 is my dream guitar, and I'm bummed that the excitement over receiving it is being compromised by this issue.

I would bet it's more isolated than you fear - this being a forum that has direct communication to the company, I think many people with issues are coming here - compare these issues to the total number that have been done, you're likely talking about a very small percentage overall. For what it's worth I have 4 V12 guitars in Houston and they haven't had any issues - if they can survive this heat/humidity, they can take anything.

(I do have one in nitro that's flaking, but the V12 haven't shown any problems)

themike
10-16-2012, 10:10 AM
I love PRS guitars, and as a Maryland native, I couldn't be prouder of PRS as a company. But, this P22 is my dream guitar, and I'm bummed that the excitement over receiving it is being compromised by this issue.

Again, just throwing it out there that the 5 or so threads there may have been regarding V12 issue are merely a hair of the amount of guitars PRS turn out each year so I think thats a great winning percentage. Things like that could happen to any manufacturer with any type of finish/clear.
Not to mention PRS Customer Service has repaired several with no issues what so ever.

edit: ninja'd!

David Eaton
10-16-2012, 09:56 PM
Again, just throwing it out there that the 5 or so threads there may have been regarding V12 issue are merely a hair of the amount of guitars PRS turn out each year so I think thats a great winning percentage. Things like that could happen to any manufacturer with any type of finish/clear.
Not to mention PRS Customer Service has repaired several with no issues what so ever.

The guitar that I have this happen with is 10 years old, it probably started soon after I got it. Certainly by 2006. The others I have, V12 or not V12, haven't had an issue.

David Eaton
10-16-2012, 10:56 PM

The guitar that I have this happen with is 10 years old, it probably started soon after I got it. Certainly by 2006. The others I have, V12 or not V12, haven't had an issue.

Kaledo
02-28-2013, 10:13 AM
Hi guys same problem here... the chipping is just begun on the edges of the keyboard and there are some other points where the finish is turning white!Several.. white points!I don't understand why: (! I would send it to the custumer services but but I live in Italy!
Does anyone know the reasons for this problem and in the case, if I have to send in maryland my guitar, the waiting times to solve the problem?
Thanks a lot guys! ;)

jcshirke
04-14-2013, 02:02 PM
I just bought my first PRS, a Hollowbody II.

I did something stupid last night, though, when trying to lower the string height. I was using a large screwdriver with the tip wrapped in a t-shirt. It slipped, and I put a tiny ding in the top. It's barely noticeable, but *I* know it's there, and if I look for it, I know right where it is.

I was wondering if there is any way to do a DIY repair on something like this (and/or maybe have my luthier buff it out). It's not worth sending the guitar in, I don't think. It just bums me out a bit b/c it was a boneheaded thing to do, and the guitar has only been in my hands for a day.

Also, where can I get the correct tool to raise/lower the stop tail piece? I didn't want to use a screwdriver in the first place b/c I feared something like this could happen. Plus, it puts some marks on the large screw in tail pieces themselves.

wilerty
04-14-2013, 04:15 PM
Did you loosen the strings before you tried the adjustment? Were you sure it was a bridge issue and not a truss rod issue?

LSchefman
04-14-2013, 04:27 PM
I just bought my first PRS, a Hollowbody II.

I did something stupid last night, though, when trying to lower the string height. I was using a large screwdriver with the tip wrapped in a t-shirt. It slipped, and I put a tiny ding in the top. It's barely noticeable, but *I* know it's there, and if I look for it, I know right where it is.

I was wondering if there is any way to do a DIY repair on something like this (and/or maybe have my luthier buff it out). It's not worth sending the guitar in, I don't think. It just bums me out a bit b/c it was a boneheaded thing to do, and the guitar has only been in my hands for a day.

Also, where can I get the correct tool to raise/lower the stop tail piece? I didn't want to use a screwdriver in the first place b/c I feared something like this could happen. Plus, it puts some marks on the large screw in tail pieces themselves.

If you want to fix that ding and never know it was there, the PRS PTC can get you there, and the turnaround time is very fast. Or you could just leave it, of course.

They also do a very nice job on setups.

jcshirke
04-14-2013, 04:43 PM
Did you loosen the strings before you tried the adjustment? Were you sure it was a bridge issue and not a truss rod issue?

I did loosen them. The neck seemed to have the right amount of relief--although I'm not an expert by any means. The strings were just a bit too high for my liking. Lowering the tail pieces solved that issue, although now (perhaps?) the tail piece does sit pretty low.

jcshirke
04-14-2013, 04:44 PM
If you want to fix that ding and never know it was there, the PRS PTC can get you there, and the turnaround time is very fast. Or you could just leave it, of course.

They also do a very nice job on setups.

Maybe I will give them a call and have them fix it and do a perfect setup. Why not, right?

Thanks for the advice.

leeasam
04-14-2013, 05:29 PM

if it was the action the bridge is where you adjust it. the trus rod is not meant to adjust action just neck relief. Yes if relief is too much one can have higher strings in the lower end of the neck but won`t change drastically at the 12th fret where action is to be measured at.

leeasam
04-14-2013, 05:34 PM
I did loosen them. The neck seemed to have the right amount of relief--although I'm not an expert by any means. The strings were just a bit too high for my liking. Lowering the tail pieces solved that issue, although now (perhaps?) the tail piece does sit pretty low.

does not matter how low the tail piece sits as long as the action is correct. My P22 from the factory was set up a bit too high. I am not talking too high for me but higher than industry standard for 12th fret action. There is not much more adjustment to get it alot lower on mine right now. One thing I don`t really care for with the SE guitars is the bridge sits way too high on the studs which can cause stability issues. Closer to the guitar the better. Not sure what the deal is but the difference between the SE and USA prs is major in the bridge hieght off the top. same thing actually with many Gibson standard USA models vs their custom shop. The neck angle must be alot different or the way they are set into the body.

jcshirke
07-21-2013, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the input.

Begs another question though... for folks that this has happened to, does it appear again in other places?
I've no doubt that PTC would rock it, but will I end up having to send it back 2, 3, 4 times (or maybe once a year when seasons change, etc...)???

I have a new Hollowbody 2, and the V12 finish is flaking off on the back of the neck. I thought it was just a little grime from the last time I played the guitar, but when I tried to scrape it off, I realized it was the finish that had bubbled up, dried out, and started to flake off.

Bummed. Hopefully it'll be on its way back to PRS in the next day or two. I've already sent Shawn an email. But I wanted to see if it's a known issue--and it appears it is.

vchizzle
07-21-2013, 09:24 AM
It's still a relatively low number of instruments that this seems to take place on with PRS. I wouldn't classify it as a known issue. In particular, the issue at the fret ends(seems the most common spot) is usually due to a piece of rosewood that is more "oily" than normal. We all have heard the extent PRS goes to with drying their woods of moisture before production. As stated earlier, this has happened with pretty much any gloss finish, so the V12 really isn't the culprit...there's several poly guitars on here as well. I mean we're dealing with wood here, a material from nature - you only have so much control over it. If we look at history, I think the whole reason companies used binding on necks was to try to protect the fret end, reducing the chance of moisture lifting the fret or chipping the finish....maybe I'm wrong on that, but that's what I remember. There are a whole lot of quality instruments that have had this issue, I'm betting PRS is on the lower end of this issue occurring, whatever the industry curve might be.

I understand it sucks when it happens to you(I've been there) and it's easy to say "it's a big problem with such and such whatever" - but the percentages are small. I'm sure PRS' goal for this is 0%, it's not like they want to deal with it. Like I said, there is a ton of work put in at PRS to keep standards and quality high. We all know that. No other major manufacturer goes to the lengths PRS does to ensure quality.

*steps down off of soapbox* :D

Gibson67v
07-21-2013, 09:39 AM
I'm glad the PTC covers this!! Gibson is notorious for finish issues and they don't cover that AT ALL!! I've actually had Gibsons crack while in the case! I think EVERY white Gibson that I owned had a crack where the Gibson inlaid logo was... With the Nitro Finish on the Gibsons I had to wipe down the neck after playing for 20 minutes... With the V12 finish I never have to wipe down the neck... Let's put it this way... If the finish bubbles or cracks I will gladly pay for shipping to have it fixed instead of having to pay for a total refinish.... AND SHIPPING!

jcshirke
07-21-2013, 09:52 AM
I No other major manufacturer goes to the lengths PRS does.

Fender picked up my guitars with finish problems and overnighted them via Fed Ex to *and* from Corona. That sets the bar for service pretty high.

I have no doubt my H2 will get fixed. It's just a pain.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
07-21-2013, 10:10 AM
The bridge started to peel off my 12-string Guild. Fender (who now owns Guild) denied my warranty request outright. I found a luthier with an "in" who got it approved. They kept my guitar for something close to 6 months. When it returned, the bridge was glued back on a few millimeters off center. It looked awful. I sold the guitar - which was used in my wedding. F#% Fender.

vchizzle
07-21-2013, 10:30 AM
Fender picked up my guitars with finish problems and overnighted them via Fed Ex to *and* from Corona. That sets the bar for service pretty high.

I have no doubt my H2 will get fixed. It's just a pain.
I was referring to PRS' commitment to going the extra mile to ensure quality. Few, if any, manufacturers so what they do on that end. Most definitely not anyone that is producing the amount of instruments PRS does.

justmund
07-21-2013, 07:30 PM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ;88027']The bridge started to peel off my 12-string Guild. Fender (who now owns Guild) denied my warranty request outright. I found a luthier with an "in" who got it approved. They kept my guitar for something close to 6 months. When it returned, the bridge was glued back on a few millimeters off center. It looked awful. I sold the guitar - which was used in my wedding. F#% Fender.
Wow that would turn you off for life huh? I guess that's why when PRSh asks you "how many Fenders do you own" you say "none".

All in!

jcshirke
07-21-2013, 09:03 PM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ;88027']The bridge started to peel off my 12-string Guild. Fender (who now owns Guild) denied my warranty request outright. I found a luthier with an "in" who got it approved. They kept my guitar for something close to 6 months. When it returned, the bridge was glued back on a few millimeters off center. It looked awful. I sold the guitar - which was used in my wedding. F#% Fender.

This probably isn't the place to discuss this issue, but the first thing I'm wondering is whether your Guild is from the Fender era or before. Are they under any obligation to cover Guild guitars before they took over ownership? Second, Fender is a huge company. They sell guitars for all budgets. I'm sure Fender isn't going to issue a Fed Ex tag to overnight a Squire back to Mexico--or wherever.

Fender Custom Care is amazing. I don't know if it's for all Custom Shop guitars or just Masterbuilt guitars. I think it's for all Custom Shop stuff, but I might be mistaken. We're talking about high end PRS guitars here, guitars that cost 3-4K, just like Fender Custom Shop or Masterbuilt guitars. I expect premium customer service for those instruments and at that price point. Fender delivers big time.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
07-23-2013, 03:40 PM
This probably isn't the place to discuss this issue, but the first thing I'm wondering is whether your Guild is from the Fender era or before.It was a Westerly Guild.

Are they under any obligation to cover Guild guitars before they took over ownership?
Yes.

Second, Fender is a huge company. They sell guitars for all budgets.
Iam familiar with Fender Corporation.

I'm sure Fender isn't going to issue a Fed Ex tag to overnight a Squire back to Mexico--or wherever.
They had it 6 months. Not sure what overnight service or ground shipping matters.

Fender Custom Care is amazing.
That was not my experience at all.

I don't know if it's for all Custom Shop guitars or just Masterbuilt guitars. I think it's for all Custom Shop stuff, but I might be mistaken.
It was a Guild, not a custom or masterbuilt Fender. Fender did all the repairs after procuring Guild.

We're talking about high end PRS guitars here, guitars that cost 3-4K, just like Fender Custom Shop or Masterbuilt guitars.
Oh good, I'm on the right forum. :tongue:

I expect premium customer service for those instruments and at that price point.
Me too. That's one of the 1st things that helped me make the transition from PRS player to PRS freak.

Fender delivers big time.
Oh, they delivered my Guild alright. 6 months after receiving it. All jacked up. BIG time. I'll find pics - unless I deleted them. I was so angry over the obvious carelessness that I couldn't even look at the guitar anymore, much less play it. I'll never buy a new Fender or Fender-owned product again.

jcshirke
07-23-2013, 03:55 PM
I doubt your Guild was covered by Fender's Custom Care service, especially considering the program was just implemented a couple years ago. End of discussion, really.

Buy a nice guitar from Fender and see what they'll do for you if something goes wrong.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
07-23-2013, 04:28 PM
I doubt your Guild was covered by Fender's Custom Care service, especially considering the program was just implemented a couple years ago.
I don't care what their warranty program was called. I had a lifetime warranty on the guitar and Fender was miserable when it came time to back it up.

End of discussion, really.
Fine with me. I'm not the one asking questions.

Buy a nice guitar from Fender and see what they'll do for you if something goes wrong.
Snowballs have a better chance in hell. I had an upper-end Guild (owned by Fender). They were worthless.

YMMV, IMO, and all that.

jcshirke
07-23-2013, 05:03 PM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ;88556']I don't care what their warranty program was called. I had a lifetime warranty on the guitar and Fender was miserable when it came time to back it up.

Oh, you mean this company?

"Westerly Guild Guitars has no affiliation with Guild Guitars or Fender Musical Instruments Corporation. "

LSchefman
07-23-2013, 05:10 PM

"Westerly Guild Guitars has no affiliation with Guild Guitars or Fender Musical Instruments Corporation. "

But that's obviously not universally true, since they had Hans ship the instrument to them for repair.

Not that it matters. Hans is a PRS player, and that's a good thing for PRS and Hans. YMMV.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
07-23-2013, 05:13 PM

And yet, at the time of repair, Fender told me they WERE responsible for the warranty but they were not going to honor it because they said (without seeing it) that the bridge was probably lifting from the guitar due to inconsistent humidity throughout it's life.

Then, when they agreed that it was not my fault (due to a well connected dealer/luthier that they trusted), it was repaired by someone who was truly incompetent. Why was it repaired by Fender? Because it WAS under warranty and Fender WAS responsible. Why else would they have "tried" to do it?

Then... mayhem. They ruined it. It even passed their QC before coming back to me. Lame.

Grind your axe all you want. Fender sucks.

jcshirke
07-23-2013, 05:32 PM
Yeah, Fender sucks because they tried to repair a guitar they had no obligation to mess with in the first place. You should have had your luthier do the work and paid for it. Maybe the guitar sucked to begin with? Beats me. Next time buy a Martin.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
07-23-2013, 05:46 PM
Yeah, Fender sucks because they tried to repair a guitar they had no obligation to mess with in the first place.
You're going to have to argue that one with Fender, Jeff. They're the one's who said they WERE responsible. I suppose it's possible my guitar was mailed somewhere else and some magic (albeit totally incompetent) elves gave it a whirl.

You should have had your luthier do the work and paid for it.
No sh!t. Live and learn.

Maybe the guitar sucked to begin with?
It's possible that the issue was related to build quality. But that has nothing to do with Fender ruining it - or keeping it for 6 months - or completely missing the screw-up in QC.

Next time buy a Martin.
I've considered it but I want a jumbo with maple sides and arched back. I'm waiting for Paul to build a 12-string to rival the Guild JF65-12. I may just bite the bullet and buy another Westerly JF65-12 if I can find one. Until then, I'll be playing my 12-string Archtop.

Edit: I found some photos. Click it to enlarge.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
07-24-2013, 12:20 PM
By the way... I just called Fender Customer Relations at (480) 596-7195.

They still honor (if jacking up your guitar counts as honor) Guild lifetime warranties from original owners.

I asked him to verify that there were no exceptions so he put me on hold to speak with his supervisor. When he came back on the line he said (and this is a direct quote) "the Westerly instruments are absolutely covered."

rugerpc
07-24-2013, 02:01 PM
http://i43.tinypic.com/3586k2u.gif

jcshirke
08-30-2013, 01:21 AM
So--back to the issue at hand...

My H2 with V12 finish problems just got back from PTC today. Unfortunately, it has yet another problem with the finish. That means either PTC missed it (not likely, right??) or it occurred during shipping. Or, worse yet, maybe it happened sometime after I opened the case this afternoon. This time it's flaking off on the side of the body. (Last time it was on the neck) So, it'll be going back once again. No one can tell me with a straight face that the V12 finish doesn't have serious problems. It definitely does on my guitar. I couldn't possibly be more unhappy with this guitar.

jcshirke
08-30-2013, 08:07 AM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ;88729']By the way... I just called Fender Customer Relations at (480) 596-7195.

They still honor (if jacking up your guitar counts as honor) Guild lifetime warranties from original owners.

We are talking about two separate entities. I'm referring to the Custom Care program that Fender provides for all its Custom Shop and Masterbuilt guitars.

I'm sorry you got hosed on your repair. They should have taken better care of you. They should have sent it to a luthier who knew what he was doing. Obviously something went terribly wrong.

However, what I'm talking about is the procedure for taking care of issues with Custom Shop and/or Masterbuilt electric guitars that have problems. The guitars are picked up at your door, overnighted via Fed Ex back to Corona, CA, and fixed. That's hard to beat.

p.s. My guitar will have spent far more time with PTC than it has in my hands. That sucks beyond words.

Blackbird
08-30-2013, 08:38 AM
So--back to the issue at hand...
No one can tell me with a straight face that the V12 finish doesn't have serious problems. It definitely does on my guitar. I couldn't possibly be more unhappy with this guitar.

I agree and feel your pain. At least hopefully you're the original owner and are getting the work done for free. Those of us that have to buy from the used market get hosed on the V12 shortcomings. I have a 2012 DGT that has the same flaking all around where the neck and fretboard meet. But since I am the second owner, I would have to pay shipping and labor to fix what seems to be a very common issue--attributed to the build, not because of improper care or misuse.

So I am just pretending it's early relic'ing. :)

ElrytNamrogo
08-30-2013, 08:48 AM
I noticed my finish starting to flake too. Mine is on the very top corner of bass-side headstock horn, backside. It's pretty minute, but I'm kinda worried it'll start doing it elsewhere.

jcshirke
08-30-2013, 08:55 AM
I agree and feel your pain. At least hopefully you're the original owner and are getting the work done for free. Those of us that have to buy from the used market get hosed on the V12 shortcomings. I have a 2012 DGT that has the same flaking all around where the neck and fretboard meet. But since I am the second owner, I would have to pay shipping and labor to fix what seems to be a very common issue--attributed to the build, not because of improper care or misuse.

So I am just pretending it's early relic'ing. :)

I am the original owner, so I guess that's the good news. I can't believe PRS won't take care of your guitar for you when it's a known problem with this finish. Maybe a full-scale recall would be overkill, but extending an offer to fix any guitars with finish problems doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

Waiting to hear from PTC this morning...tick tock...tick tock.

jcshirke
08-30-2013, 10:07 AM
I noticed my finish starting to flake too. Mine is on the very top corner of bass-side headstock horn, backside. It's pretty minute, but I'm kinda worried it'll start doing it elsewhere.

If my guitar is any indication, it will. I'd advise contacting them.

jcshirke
08-30-2013, 10:17 AM
One more follow-up: I just got off the phone with PRS, and they are definitely taking care of me. I'm getting great service from PRS about the problem with my guitar. So, I'm not trying to bad mouth *them*. It's just a terribly frustrating thing to have to deal with, as I'm sure it must be for the company, too.

And so it goes. There are more important problems in the world.

rugerpc
08-30-2013, 10:31 AM
One more follow-up: I just got off the phone with PRS, and they are definitely taking care of me. I'm getting great service from PRS about the problem with my guitar. So, I'm not trying to bad mouth *them*. It's just a terribly frustrating thing to have to deal with, as I'm sure it must be for the company, too.

And so it goes. There are more important problems in the world.

I have been hoping that you would be able to post this in this thread. I was worried that the thread would turn into a PRS bash before all of your options were exhausted. Glad to see that this is getting resolved as I believe I would.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
08-30-2013, 10:47 AM
We are talking about two separate entities. I'm referring to the Custom Care program that Fender provides for all its Custom Shop and Masterbuilt guitars.
Then why were you talking about "Fender Musical Instruments Corporation" in post #44 - or going on about how they weren't responsible for repairs to a Guild THEY SCREWED UP?

I'm sorry you got hosed on your repair. They should have taken better care of you. They should have sent it to a luthier who knew what he was doing. Obviously something went terribly wrong.
Well... I have to agree with you. I should have skipped Fender repair and had a qualified luthier repair my guitar. It's a painful lesson.

However, what I'm talking about is the procedure for taking care of issues with Custom Shop and/or Masterbuilt electric guitars that have problems. The guitars are picked up at your door, overnighted via Fed Ex back to Corona, CA, and fixed. That's hard to beat.
Actually, what you were talking about went like this... (it's hard to pretend you didn't say something still visible in the same thread)

This probably isn't the place to discuss this issue, but the first thing I'm wondering is whether your Guild is from the Fender era or before. Are they under any obligation to cover Guild guitars before they took over ownership? Second, Fender is a huge company. They sell guitars for all budgets. I'm sure Fender isn't going to issue a Fed Ex tag to overnight a Squire back to Mexico--or wherever.

But now you're singing a new tune - which is fine. Just don't expect me to sit back and watch you play it off like you didn't choose this discussion.

Fender Custom Care is amazing. I don't know if it's for all Custom Shop guitars or just Masterbuilt guitars. I think it's for all Custom Shop stuff, but I might be mistaken.
Given your track record...

We're talking about high end PRS guitars here, guitars that cost 3-4K, just like Fender Custom Shop or Masterbuilt guitars.
No, we were talking about Fender ruining my Guild and then you telling me I should be grateful they even tried to fix it because they were under no obligation to do so. Now, after clear proof has been provided that I actually know what I'm talking about (imagine that) you sit here playing it off like you never said that.

I expect premium customer service for those instruments and at that price point. Fender delivers big time.
No. They don't. See picture of jacked-up 12-string.

p.s. My guitar will have spent far more time with PTC than it has in my hands. That sucks beyond words.
This is a different subject entirely and has nothing to do with Blender... ermm... Fender. I have no dog in that fight. It's between you and PRS.

Awesome.

ElrytNamrogo
08-30-2013, 11:01 AM
So I'm wondering about the turn around time for this repair. I'm sure it all depends on how busy the PTC is, but is there anyone has had the repair done and can tell me how long theirs took??? Not that I expect it to be done in the same matter of time, but just I am just curious. I have two backup guitars, so I'm not in terrible shape if I go without one for a while, but I haven't had the guitar a year yet (and actually am still paying it off...:dontknow:) so I'd like to have some sort of idea.

LSchefman
08-30-2013, 01:14 PM
It's probably tough to prep an oily wood like rosewood on the edges of the fingerboards; I remember that the original poly finishes had occasional chipping on the fingerboard edges, too.

I can see how it'd be frustrating. OTOH, PRS does take care of its customers very well when problems arise. It's a drag waiting, but it'll get fixed!

jcshirke
08-30-2013, 03:47 PM
Nope, I've been entirely consistent. You just have a hard time understanding fairly basic distinctions, such as the one between Fender Musical Corp. (the sum total of all of Fender's divisions) and Fender's Custom Shop. The Custom Shop would never, ever take care of your Guild repair. Why? They don't build them there. They don't make any acoustics, as far as I'm aware. My posts only had to do with Fender Custom Care, which is the warranty that extends to Custom Shop/Masterbuilt guitars. Full stop. If I ever said something like "Fender has amazing customer service for repair of its guitars", the context clearly illustrated what I was talking about--and it's something about which you are obviously ignorant. And that's fine. I realize you won't be buying a Masterbuilt Fender anytime soon. But if you happen to enjoy Strats, Teles, and the like, then it's your loss.

And, sure, if you want me to look at post #44 again, I will gladly do so. School is in...

jcshirke
08-30-2013, 03:48 PM
It's probably tough to prep an oily wood like rosewood on the edges of the fingerboards; I remember that the original poly finishes had occasional chipping on the fingerboard edges, too.

I can see how it'd be frustrating. OTOH, PRS does take care of its customers very well when problems arise. It's a drag waiting, but it'll get fixed!

The problems are not on the edge of the fingerboards in my case. Just for the record.

Back of the neck. Side of the body.

Sekunda
08-30-2013, 04:00 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-2YW-x1vDtKY/UBc27ry_y1I/AAAAAAAAMm4/XM4XK-ZVVRw/s320/The_Joker_by_DookieAdz.jpg
Can't we all... just get along? :) Hehe, Happy Friday!

jcshirke
08-30-2013, 04:15 PM
Let's review what I said.

1. Fender's customer service (*for their high-end guitars*, which is to say Custom Shop/Masterbuilt guitars) is amazing. You have no experience whatsoever in that regard. I do.
2. I tried to *research* whether or not Fender Musical Corp. had any obligation to repair your Guild. Despite what it said on Westerly (?) Music's web site, (post #44), it turns out that Fender still honors Guild's warranty. I was mistaken. Gee...my bad. I was curious; I wanted to see if they had any obligation to touch your guitar. I think it's amazing that they would honor another company's warranty, personally, but you apparently think otherwise. Hey, my local tire/brake place changed ownership last year, and I was 100% f***ed when I tried to get them to fix something that the prior ownership messed up. ("Sorry, dude...that was another company! Yeah, we know 90% of the same employees work here...but tough ****!" ) So, yeah, the fact that they even tried to help you out is pretty nice, in my view.
3. I've repeatedly acknowledged that *whomever did the "repair"* screwed up.
4. Fender (whomever "Fender" may be in this case...it certainly wasn't the Custom Shop) should have made sure the guitar went to a qualified tech/luthier. Where *did* the guitar go? I don't think you ever bothered to say.
5. *Points 2-4 have absolutely nothing to do with Fender Custom Care*, which is the warranty that covers Custom Shop (etc.) guitars.
6. You hate Fender *across the board* b/c some bad tech messed up your Guild acoustic. You should have sent it back. You should have thrown a fit. I would have.
7. I don't hate Fender (in fact, I don't hate any guitar company whose guitars I own), and I have had exceptional service from Fender Custom Shop when I've needed it. See point #1 above.

Btw, my Fender EJ Strat has finish problems. The back of the body is bubbling up. **** happens, though. I don't expect the same kind of warranty/service for that guitar as I do my higher-end ones. It's almost certainly out of warranty anyway. I'll live with it or get it refinished on my own dime some day. But if something happens to my Masterbuilts, Fed Ex will be at my door in a day or two.

Daniel
08-30-2013, 04:28 PM

You should see what Gibson did with my acoustic (limited edition signed artist model), sent in for a warranty repair due to the bridge being incorectly located from the git-go. A relatively simple repair resulted in the destruction of the guitar.

rugerpc
08-30-2013, 05:55 PM
I thought this thread might turn out better in the end, but it looks like I was mistaken.

Jcshirke, you are crossing the line when you tell anyone you have never met that they have a comprehension problem or attempt quantify their knowledge or experience on any matter.

If you have any point to make, do it without the personal attacks.

I suggest you apologize and back off.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
08-30-2013, 06:15 PM
Let's review what I said.

It's your story, Jeff. Tell it any way you like. None of it really matters.

...it turns out that Fender still honors Guild's warranty. I was mistaken. Gee...my bad.

Apology accepted.

You just have a hard time understanding fairly basic distinctions...

Well... that wasn't very nice. But I'm cool. You're frustrated and I get it.

...something about which you are obviously ignorant.

Ok... you're REALLY frustrated and feel like lashing out. But insulting forum members is bad form. Poking the bear is a bad decision.

Perhaps you think that your warranty repairs (which really do suck) entitle you to come on this forum and use it as a your own personal whipping post? To promote competing companies and/or their services in an attempt to brow-beat the PRS Tech Center into over-night'ing your guitar? To treat forum members with disdain? It's not cool and I'm not okay with it. Look, you have a valid complaint regarding your V12 finish but it doesn't justify this kind of behavior. And if you think I'll take a few extra bullets to the chest because I'm a Mod and I don't want to be accused of being heavy-handed, you're right. But there IS a line...

School is in...

[sigh] ...and you just crossed it.

When you get back from your 30-day cool down period, please be civil and let us know how your guitar turned out. It sucks that you have to send it back but I'm sure the PTC will absolutely make it right. They're human so things happen (as you can clearly see) but they're 100% behind their warranty and don't need to distinguish regular care from "custom care" like other companies. SE owners get the same service a PS and Collection owners. THAT is how it's done.

Class dismissed.