PDA

View Full Version : Peter Green-esque tone on a Stripped 58?

ExpatGirl
11-28-2012, 12:49 PM
Hi Guys,
Does anyone know how to get that awesome 'open' tone that Peter Green was able to coax out of his '59 Les Paul? I know that one of the pickups on his LP had the magnet reversed. I'd rather not rip the guts out of my beloved Stripped 58 but if anyone has a suggestion for how I could even come close to Green's tone, I'd like to hear it. Thanks!

Twinfan
11-28-2012, 01:49 PM
The flipped magnet only affects the both pickups setting, and gives that nasal out-of-phase sound.

Which song tone are you after?

Mikegarveyblues
11-28-2012, 02:39 PM
You can buy peter Green style pups from a number of manufacurers such as Bare Knuckle.

A quicker and cheaper option is to wire the guitar for phase reversal (Or whatever the correct term is) with a push - pull pot. The wiring of the pup would need to support this. I believe it doesn't sound quite the same but is pretty close none-the-less.

I ordered 4 conducter pups with an eye to doing this mod (Or coil tapping) down the line.

Twinfan
11-28-2012, 02:46 PM
It all depends if the OOP sound is what you're after, or more general PG tone...

markie
11-28-2012, 07:17 PM
Hmmmm......................... Is Dick Green a member of this Forum? He would know for sure.............

Dirty Bob
11-28-2012, 07:40 PM
Too busy trying to sell guitars he's never played on eBay! But I'm preaching to the choir!

markie
11-28-2012, 08:13 PM
Too busy trying to sell guitars he's never played on eBay! But I'm preaching to the choir!

Hehehe:laugh: