PDA

View Full Version : VINYL

james
11-28-2012, 07:16 PM
I have a feeling there's a healthy collection somewhere amongst members here. Have you hung on? Sold the entire collection?

I just played a French rock 7" that I've played many times...still cannot figure out whether it's a 45 or not.

markie
11-28-2012, 07:19 PM
Wifey sold them in a Garage sale in the late 90s :-(

james
11-28-2012, 07:31 PM

with your consent? Did you lose anything you've not been able to replace?

Dirty Bob
11-28-2012, 07:42 PM

Pretty sure you give her a pass on this given your guitar room!!! Without knowing her seems to be pretty darn cool to me!

JMintzer
11-28-2012, 08:08 PM
Still have all my albums. About 250-300, from the late 60's till CDs hit the scene...

james
11-28-2012, 08:09 PM
Still have all my albums. About 250-300, from the late 60's till CDs hit the scene...

DIBS

markie
11-28-2012, 08:17 PM
with your consent? Did you lose anything you've not been able to replace?

She seldom asks for my consent & I kindly reciprocate :biggrin:

hoofarted
11-28-2012, 08:57 PM
Built up quite a healthy collection, and growing all the time. Mostly new stuff, but some old hand-me-downs and record store finds in there too. Besides guitars, collecting vinyl is my other obsession. Spin 'em on a Rega RP3, can't recommend it enough!

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e52/konkolan/241828_10102358017386074_1950106826_o.jpg

james
11-28-2012, 09:09 PM
Nice! I have a white Rega too. (And want a Starla and Mira) instant bros

hoofarted
11-28-2012, 09:52 PM
Nice! I have a white Rega too. (And want a Starla and Mira) instant bros

Agreed!

alantig
11-28-2012, 10:44 PM
Still have all my vinyl, including 45s. Then again, I still have my 8-tracks, too. Have a couple cabinets that are pretty much all vinyl (although some CD box set have infringed).

rocguitar
11-29-2012, 08:21 PM
I had (what some would consider) a record "habit" in the early to mid 70's. Collected over 700 albums during this time, never thinking that the vinyl format would someday be perceived as "old school" technology.

I still have my entire record collection.......packed away in boxes.

Poffypoffa
11-29-2012, 08:44 PM
I have lots of classic rock on vinyl. My general theory is, if it was written with vinyl in mind, I prefer to listen to it that way.

Daniel
11-29-2012, 10:49 PM
I've still got most of my old stuff though several choice pieces (ex, original master recording of Dark Side of the Moon) disappeared sometime in the late 80's and 90's while it was stored at my mother's house. I've been adding a lot to the collection over the last few years.

zumaboy
11-30-2012, 08:13 AM

Me too, but it's more like 500...

solacematt
11-30-2012, 10:05 AM
It's kind of funny how many older albms are getting the reissue treatment, from the Beatles catalog and Pink Floyd, to stuff like Smashing Pumpkins and Rage Against the Machine.

hoofarted
11-30-2012, 03:03 PM
It's kind of funny how many older albms are getting the reissue treatment, from the Beatles catalog and Pink Floyd, to stuff like Smashing Pumpkins and Rage Against the Machine.

Sales are up year after year, and for the record companies, vinyl is the only growth market out there for 'physical' music. And, they can still charge you for all 12 songs, as opposed to one or two with digital downloads. Plus, for people like me who are nuts about a lot of 90s music (which tends to be some of the highest $$ vinyl out there), the companies are making money again from catalogs they already own that really haven't produced revenue for them in years. When's the last time you think someone got excited to run out and pick up a copy of Mellon Collie? I'm guessing it's been a WHILE. Meanwhile, a $75 MC vinyl box set is gonna release in a week, probably to sell thousands of copies. (Myself being purchaser).

solacematt
11-30-2012, 05:30 PM
Sales are up year after year, and for the record companies, vinyl is the only growth market out there for 'physical' music. And, they can still charge you for all 12 songs, as opposed to one or two with digital downloads. Plus, for people like me who are nuts about a lot of 90s music (which tends to be some of the highest $$ vinyl out there), the companies are making money again from catalogs they already own that really haven't produced revenue for them in years. When's the last time you think someone got excited to run out and pick up a copy of Mellon Collie? I'm guessing it's been a WHILE. Meanwhile, a $75 MC vinyl box set is gonna release in a week, probably to sell thousands of copies. (Myself being purchaser).

Actually Mellon Collie has always been very expensive. Original copies fetch up to 300.00. I'm glad that it's being reissued next week, I pre-ordered mine through Amazon for 40.00 :) Even though they're selling for a very high price it'll still probably sell pretty well I think.

LSchefman
11-30-2012, 05:35 PM
I've got most of my vinyl dating back to 1969 or so...but my son recently asked me to ship him some of his favorites, so I packed him a big box o' stuff he likes.

I work mainly in digital due to how the business has changed over the years, but I love listening to analog.

Goldtop
11-30-2012, 06:22 PM
I don't even want to think about counting my LPs now, but the last time I did count them back in the mid 90's I had just under a thousand. It's probably around the same amount now, because for many years my main focus has been on CDs. I moved in 2007, and at that time just my music was good for almost two full loads in the bed of a fullsize '87 Dodge pickup. I had so many albums and CDs (and refused to part with any of them) that it was a constant bone of contention between the ex and myself.

Guess what side won out?!?! :rofl:

When CDs first hit, I did what I suspect many others did; I bought duplicates of things I had on vinyl. I don't do much of that now, and haven't for years. Matter of fact, I don't buy anywhere near the music now that I did in the past because I simply can't afford it. But there was a time when the people at the music stores would welcome me at the door, go buy me a Coke, and start counting their sales in their heads. One of the big chains back then was Sound Warehouse, and a buddy of mine from high school worked in one here. I practically lived in that sucker. I cried when they closed down.

Totals? LPs = 900 to 1000; CDs = 2000 or so; Cassettes, 45s, Flexidiscs = 200ish

Goldtop

P.S. - Does anybody else remember those special edition Gold CDs? Used some sort of gold colored plating on the metal (supposedly real gold) instead of the silvery whatever? I loved those things. I swore they sounded better, like a step up the ladder between a CD and vinyl.

hoofarted
11-30-2012, 06:43 PM
Actually Mellon Collie has always been very expensive. Original copies fetch up to 300.00. I'm glad that it's being reissued next week, I pre-ordered mine through Amazon for 40.00 :) Even though they're selling for a very high price it'll still probably sell pretty well I think.

That it has, I guess what I meant there was excited to go out and buy a CD of Mellon Collie, or a digital download for that matter. I got my order in for just under $40 too. I'm guessing you ordered it on Canadian Amazon for that way cheap price? People have always been nuts about this album, it will sell extremely well, even at the high price. I'm excited to see the package in hand, it sure looks great!

solacematt
11-30-2012, 07:45 PM
That it has, I guess what I meant there was excited to go out and buy a CD of Mellon Collie, or a digital download for that matter. I got my order in for just under $40 too. I'm guessing you ordered it on Canadian Amazon for that way cheap price? People have always been nuts about this album, it will sell extremely well, even at the high price. I'm excited to see the package in hand, it sure looks great!

Yep, so glad that I was able to hop on it that that price. I'm guessing your on the official SP board as well? Saving to buy a house right now, so anytime I can save a bit here and there is definitely welcome.

veinbuster
12-01-2012, 06:59 AM
My first collection melted in a house fire. I still have the second, which I spent a good part of a year making CD copies of.

And I bought a new turn table last week.

james
12-01-2012, 07:47 AM
Sure...Mobile Fidelity. They still put out excellent stuff.

hoofarted
12-01-2012, 10:09 AM
Yep, so glad that I was able to hop on it that that price. I'm guessing your on the official SP board as well? Saving to buy a house right now, so anytime I can save a bit here and there is definitely welcome.

Can't say I am, but I'm a frequent lurker, occasional poster on the Vinyl Collective forums. Got the heads up over there.

hoofarted
12-01-2012, 10:11 AM
Sure...Mobile Fidelity. They still put out excellent stuff.

Yessir. Looking very forward to their upcoming repress of Weezer's "Green" album. Much like the Music On Vinyl label, MoFi can do no wrong.

solacematt
12-01-2012, 06:03 PM
Can't say I am, but I'm a frequent lurker, occasional poster on the Vinyl Collective forums. Got the heads up over there.

ahh, well that explains how it became such a huge hit on Amazon.ca's site. Now it's looking like they're going to cancel orders again

Hopeful Sinner
12-01-2012, 11:35 PM
I have a few pieces left here and there.. I have started buying vinyl exclusively if new music I want is released that way. It's so much cooler than a CD or digi download... Then, I rip it to the computer with my groovy Sony USB turntable!

hoofarted
12-04-2012, 01:33 AM
ahh, well that explains how it became such a huge hit on Amazon.ca's site. Now it's looking like they're going to cancel orders again

Nobody is getting orders cancelled, however, it may take a while to get it, depending on when you ordered. Looks like they're shipping first come, first served. I'm patient, and for this price, I don't care if it takes a month to finally fulfill. Some folks on VC have mentioned switching their order to US Amazon. I don't have the time to call and make a hassle, but it may be a much quicker way to get a copy.

solacematt
12-04-2012, 07:02 PM
Nobody is getting orders cancelled, however, it may take a while to get it, depending on when you ordered. Looks like they're shipping first come, first served. I'm patient, and for this price, I don't care if it takes a month to finally fulfill. Some folks on VC have mentioned switching their order to US Amazon. I don't have the time to call and make a hassle, but it may be a much quicker way to get a copy.

I've seen on the SP board that people have asked .CA if they can switch to US and they said that they can, but they can't transfer the discount if they get it from US.
I ordered the vinyl and my GF got me the 5CD/DVD for Christmas, so I didn't mind downloading the whole thing since the band technically did get our money for both already. I'm onto "Here Is No Why" right now and this so far, this is the only track where I feel like I can hear a difference from the original. I have to review this mammoth for the next issue of my publication, so I'm taking notes, haha.

james
12-21-2012, 06:23 PM
Makin' out on vinyl gifts already.

Uncle Tupelo - No Depression
Grateful Dead - Terrapin Station
Velvet Underground - Quine Tapes box set

Happy!

alantig
12-21-2012, 07:51 PM
Pending weather tom'w, I'll be picking up my freshly tuned up turntable. And since it's right next door, I'll try to catch the Robert Johnson disc one more time.

Aldwyn
12-21-2012, 08:14 PM
I have... maybe 125 LPs in a box in the basement. Some rare Beatles ones, too.

Hope they dont warp down there...

JDBRADSHAW
12-23-2012, 07:01 AM
I still purchase records and have a decent size collection of Heavy Metal,Blues and Classic Rock.....and I still own every one I have ever bought dating back to the early 70's....including 45's *Just scored a pristine Jimi Hendrix "Crash Landing" record for $7.00 at Skinnies Records in Norfolk,Va...

docbennett
12-23-2012, 07:43 AM
Still seem to have a few laying around.....

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab271/drugdetox/collection%20phots/100_5842.jpg

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab271/drugdetox/collection%20phots/100_5841.jpg

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab271/drugdetox/collection%20phots/100_5840.jpg

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab271/drugdetox/collection%20phots/100_5839.jpg

11top
12-23-2012, 08:16 AM
Not only do I have all of my albums, but I have a big box of 45s. Some of you probably don't know what those are. :dontknow:

Shawn@PRS
12-23-2012, 08:23 AM
You probably still have your collection of 78's too. :)

docbennett
12-23-2012, 08:28 AM
Not only do I have all of my albums, but I have a big box of 45s. Some of you probably don't know what those are. :dontknow:

Steve...what do you think...we're stoooopid or something??

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m1911sa.jpg

11top
12-23-2012, 12:48 PM
You probably still have your collection of 78's too. :)

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

:mad:

11top
12-23-2012, 12:49 PM
Steve...what do you think...we're stoooopid or something??

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m1911sa.jpg

Yep, got a box of those too.

solacematt
12-23-2012, 12:51 PM
Newest additions are two record store day rei-issues of Incubus Morning View and Make Yourself, and the first two Shinedown albums :)

Daniel
12-23-2012, 10:49 PM
My newest additions are Neil Young's Psychedelic Pill and Springfield's XD-S (now that's a loud 45!).

alantig
12-23-2012, 11:44 PM
Picked up the turntable, but went too early to listen to the RJ 78 again. Brought the table home, reinstalled, and spun some Joe Walsh, Deep Purple, Steve Perry and Head East. It had been a while - I forgot how much more dynamic vinyl could be. I had the volume cranked and it sounded great.

Down in my garage I have an old turntable that was left in the first house we bought. I hung on to it even though it doesn't have a cartridge because it plays 78s. The vinyl store I go to has an attached store that sells only 78s (which is where they were playing the Johnson disc). Quite odd to see a disc titled "Hitler Lives" in the bins...

Bill SAS 513
10-07-2013, 08:02 PM
Got about 100 albums left...took a lot to Record and Tape traders years back and swapped for CDs...(have few thousand of those)...but the albums I kept are rotating in album frames in the music room...currently, Zep IV, Beatles VI stamped Promo...Styx Cornerstone (parents brought back from Greece, opens totally different than US version, and Triumph Never Surrender, signed by Rik Emmett...rotate regularly, but those 4 are fun to talk about.