PDA

View Full Version : Trem, Hardtail, 2 pc. Bridge, or adjustable Hardtail........... what's your choice?

markie
11-29-2012, 01:11 PM
I like The way a Trem feels under my hand, but I never use a trem.................... kinda Kooky?

I love the way the 2 pc. feels ................... far superior to a TOM IMHO!

I don't like the way the adjustable wraptail feels, but it's certainly needed for a Piezo!

Wrap Hardtail feels good under my hand, although I need to be aware of accidentally muting strings. I believe PRSH somewhat strictly plays a wraptail guy..........

south89
11-29-2012, 01:19 PM
I have all 3 and the hardtail is my fav. 2 piece bridge pretty cool too. I ma not much of a trem guy because I switch between standard and dropped tunnings too much and the trem just can't stay in tune going back and forth IMO.

BostonGuitar
11-29-2012, 01:31 PM
ALL

Hopeful Sinner
11-29-2012, 01:43 PM
Love a Trem guitar but, like you I do not use them. I'm convinced they sound better... Probably mild psychosis! Also a big fan of Wraparound tail piece...

iahawk36
11-29-2012, 01:43 PM
2-pc bridge for me.... I just wish it was offered on more models...specifically the McCarty

Egads
11-29-2012, 01:44 PM
I'm with you, Markie. I love the trem feel, but don't even put the trem arm in most of the time (unless it's a surf day), but the fixed wrap tail is my favorite.

QueenCityGuitars
11-29-2012, 01:44 PM
Wrap Hardtail feels good under my hand, although I need to be aware of accidentally muting strings.

Chugga Chugga, YES! :evil:

I like the wrap stoptail (non-adjustable) bridge because I think it feels good under my hand.

themike
11-29-2012, 02:13 PM
Bridges all day everyday. With a tremel-no, I can have any functioning tail piece I want from a stop tail to a floater..... it rocks :)

sergiodeblanc
11-29-2012, 02:28 PM
Trem all day every day, it was the single biggest feature that sold me on a PRS almost twenty years ago. I can't believe Floyd Rose trems are still made.

John Beef
11-29-2012, 02:48 PM
I bought a trem model because the wraptails felt weird to me. I don't use the trem either. But then my next several PRSi were all wraptails, so I have learned to like them too. Never seen a two piece in person.

markie
11-29-2012, 03:39 PM
2-pc bridge for me.... I just wish it was offered on more models...specifically the McCarty

Now Ang.................. Most of us are aware that you know 1st hand how to get a 2 pc. on the model of your choice :wink:

Mikegarveyblues
11-29-2012, 05:10 PM
I'm a big fan of decked or blocked off trems. I wouldn't buy a hardtail Strat as I believe the trem - whether used or not - adds something to the sound. Also, it's there is I need it.

Regards wraparound or two piece... Not too fussed as long as they are sufficient quality.

Err... Yeah, so all of them!

veinbuster
11-29-2012, 05:16 PM
I prefer a big chunk of stop tail.
One of these days, I'll sit down and figure out something useful to do with a trem, but mostly so I'll have an excuse to get some more guitars.

rugerpc
11-29-2012, 05:21 PM
I'm new to playing - still taking lessons and got lots to learn. I just need the basics. I'm not going to be using a tremolo very much for the foreseeable future (though my new DGT has one) - I have lots of other technique to work on first.

Gimme a regular old wrap-around stop tail for playing ease and tuning stability.

Chris528
11-29-2012, 05:52 PM
I don't use tremolo much, but it's nice to have when needed.

jimfisher
11-29-2012, 05:53 PM
The wrap stoptail is perfect for me and a brilliant design. With Tone Pros studs it intonates perfectly and is just a no-brainer.

Jim, no trems here

Fbrandw
11-29-2012, 06:48 PM
Have both a trem as well as a 2 piece....love the trem just a wee bit more than the 2p, both are super comfy to play though.

hemantooth
11-29-2012, 06:53 PM
Wrap stoptail for me. Feels just rights. I want a DGT but I'm not sure how I'll get along with how the trem feels.

38Roars
11-29-2012, 07:23 PM
All ... I like them ALL!!

LSchefman
11-29-2012, 09:55 PM
I rarely use the trem arm, but I like the tone resonance you get with one, and they have a nice feel. For session work, it's good to have the option of using the trem when I need to.

My favorite for pure tone with a non-trem is the PRS 2-piece, and I completely agree that they're nicer to play than the old TOM as well.

But heck, I like the wrap tails, too. It all depends on the guitar.

hoofarted
11-30-2012, 04:31 PM
The wrap stoptail is perfect for me and a brilliant design. With Tone Pros studs it intonates perfectly and is just a no-brainer

I have both, but have been phasing out the trems. Can't beat the tuning stability and ease of moving from Drop D to Std without fuss. With that being said, I despise the aluminum stoptail. It looks great and feels cool in your hand, it's obviously a well machined piece of metal, I just can't stand the tone. I wish new PRS's came with the adjustable instead, or at least gave you the option. I've bought two stoptail models this year (Mira, Std. 22), and went to Tonepros adj. right away. Never looked back, and the guitars sound exponentially better. Maybe they're someone's cup of tea, but for me, being able to precisely dial in the intonation....and the huge improvement in tone make the Tonepros adj bridge a no-brainer. I would love to try a PRS adj bridge on both of these, I happen to like the look a lot better, but can't get over the fact that the PRS unit is 2-3x the street price of the TP.

Twinfan
11-30-2012, 04:57 PM
Bog stock non-adjustable wrapover for me. Simple and elegant design, and feels great under the hand.

I play hard and prefer the firmer attack of a stoptail, a trem makes me play and pick lighter. No bad thing I guess, but it feels less natural to me.

t.shamone
11-30-2012, 06:52 PM
I love to use trems with certain styles of music. I'm all over it. Other styles I don't touch it.
The stop tail works great for me and the intonation is spot on. It did take a little work nudging the allen screws but that's fine.
Never tried the PRS two piece so I don't know. I probably would like it.

Brad737
12-02-2012, 09:28 AM
I like all of the PRS bridges. What I don't like are old Fender Tele and Strat bridges with sharp edges and those little screws that poke my hand. As for PRS trems, I prefer the old one-piece Mann Made unit. I think they sound better. But if the guitar had the 2 piece trem, those larger brass trem blocks do make 'em sound better.

aristotle
12-02-2012, 09:47 AM
I probably need to get educated on the terminology here.

Wraptail is obvious I guess, but the term "adjustable wraptail" was used. A regular wraptail is bulk adjustable in that the angle can be changed, but I'm guessing that "adjustable" here means the ones with the saddles built in to it? Didn't even know that PRS used that type of bridge.

And "two piece" means here the ABR-1 style? I ask because the "two-piece" was compared to a TOM.....meaning, I think, in comparison with a Gibson ABR-1 or Nashville bridge?

In any case, the only three types of bridges that I have on my PRS guitars are the fixed wraptail with the main intonation set by the geometry of the piece and the angle of the piece, the 2-piece on the SC-58 (which I, probably wrongly, call a TOM) and the trem.

I can't really tell a tonal difference between any of them (other than the ability of the trem to .... well.... trem... of course.) Feel-wise, I don't even notice the difference between the 2-piece TOM style and the wraptial unless I conciously ask myself to think about it. I don't like the trem as much, but that's mainly because I rarely use it, and I can be a bit of an ape when I play and unintentionally have my right hand press down on the trem when I don't want to. I have two Signature Limiteds....one with trem and one with a wraptail and can't tell the tonal difference, which is probably as good of an A/B comparison as there is. But I'm sure that others here could tell the difference if their ears are well trained.

prscat33511
12-02-2012, 09:51 AM
Once you've played all scales, types, and tails, it starts to not matter much.
I've spent a lot of time and effort fining 'my config'
As it turns out I found inspiration in all types of bridge configs and scale lengths etc
Some prefer one over another
PRS is my latest adulation infatuation because it feels right, sounds great, and seems to be the best all around for me

ALL

CE-man
12-03-2012, 12:03 AM
Full floating tremolo for me. I like the feel of the "give" in the strings when I play. I even tend to overbend on fixed bridge guitars.

Gnal
12-03-2012, 01:39 PM
I've played all four types, all were comfortable. The one(s) I own though are the adjustable wrap-around. Simple, and elegant, and quite a bite more comfortable then the TOM string though body I have, plus I can intonate for any tuning I've tried.

John
12-03-2012, 02:00 PM
I prefer trems. Not only do I prefer the option of doing dive-bombs if I want to, but hardtails- especially two piece bridges (like TOM's) are starting to feel more strange to rest my picking hand on for some reason.

vchizzle
12-03-2012, 02:07 PM
None of them give me a problem. I have no trem guitars. Stoptail(1), adjustable stoptail(3) and a newer 2 piece. I feel comfortable on any of them.

OsirisProtocol
12-04-2012, 09:11 PM
I'm a trem guy based on feel. I don't use the trem except for a flutter here and there when the mood hits me. I just really dig the feel of a tremolo bridge while playing. I can get along with the wrap around bridge just fine but I still prefer the trem. I have yet to play a PRS with the 2pc bridge but I'm looking forward to it.

swede71
12-06-2012, 06:35 PM
I like the sound of tremolos but lately i like to block them.I have built 2 partocasters with the Fender Eric Clapton body as the basis.They use the woodblock,works and sounds great,for the PRS i use the tremol-no.