PDA

View Full Version : IF you had won the half-billion...

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
11-29-2012, 04:58 PM
...what would have been your 1st major purchase? And why?

It had to cross your mind. How often does Powerball get that crazy?

Harker1440
11-29-2012, 05:02 PM
First Purchase : Fully Loaded New House
Second Purchase : New Cars for me and wife
Third Purchase : Trust Funds and College Funds for the kids and my nephew.
Fourth purchase : Major Cruise and Vacation
Fifth Purchase : WIPE OUT THE WOOD LIBRARY IN STEVENSVILLE
Then plan a Trip to Indiana ;)

rugerpc
11-29-2012, 05:03 PM
Does paying off all indebtedness count?

sergiodeblanc
11-29-2012, 05:28 PM
:prslogo: The whole company.

WEDGE
11-29-2012, 05:32 PM
If I won that much money........I would first set up my entire family, and then book a couple vacations.

One for an extended vacation somewhere exotic and warm for the family where we do not take phones, watches, computers, etc. with us.

Already told my wife the second would be to Stevensville, MD where I would saunter into the Private Stock area and spend an obscene amount of money..........

Daniel
11-29-2012, 05:57 PM
I thought about that a fair amount over the last few days. I'd decided I would take the lump sum payout and that I'd donate at least 50% (probably more like 60-70% since it got so big) to various charities and schools. Some immediate direct gifts and the balance into a charitable foundation where I could direct the gifts over the next several years.

As for a real purchase with what I (or the entity I create to claim the prize) keep? Raw land and lots of it. Why? Because they don't make it anymore. I've always wanted a big farm/plantation/ranch where I can spread out and not be bothered. Plus, everywhere you go they are bulldozing land to build the next cheesy planned community, big-box store or parking lot. It's feakin' disgusting. I think local governments should require developers to redevelop abandoned properties before they allow any construction on "virgin" land.

Jester
11-29-2012, 06:05 PM
I only wish

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d84/jamesdavidjones/James/DSCN14141.jpg

james
11-29-2012, 06:27 PM
:prslogo: The whole company.

How do you feel about exorbitant and irrational mega-raises?

james
11-29-2012, 06:32 PM
I thought about that a fair amount over the last few days. I'd decided I would take the lump sum payout and that I'd donate at least 50% (probably more like 60-70% since it got so big) to various charities and schools. Some immediate direct gifts and the balance into a charitable foundation where I could direct the gifts over the next several

I think that's the hard part. Spending money on yourself is easy. How to live a beyond wealthy life while truly giving back and doing something satisfying for yourself and meaningful for others is difficult.

I can't answer the charity question, though I'd probably trust the Gates Foundation as they're doing saintly work.

More selfishly, I'd love to see a all analog/straight-to-tape hi-fi recording studio/record label recording live, unedited performances by current bands. This exists, but it's mostly just audiophile bands (more about the recording than the music).

james
11-29-2012, 06:38 PM
Also, I'd quietly trade my black Subaru Outback in for a black Subaru Outback XT and drop it off at a tuner. No one would know the difference.

JMintzer
11-29-2012, 06:42 PM
Hookers and Blow...

Self Explanatory...

sergiodeblanc
11-29-2012, 06:57 PM

How do you feel about a nude workplace?

Goldtop
11-29-2012, 07:08 PM

Pardon me for butting in here, but if I were the OP my reply would be:

'I am all for exorbitant and irrational mega-raises for most employees, with the exception of website administrators. What a troublesome group they are!'

Goldtop

Goldtop
11-29-2012, 07:18 PM

Interesting idea, except for those working in the soldering areas of course...

Goldtop

LSchefman
11-29-2012, 07:29 PM
Well, before the party I'd pick out a really nice coffin.

After the party, I expect I'd need to use it. ;)

Egads
11-29-2012, 11:04 PM

Interesting idea, except for those working in the soldering areas of course...

Goldtop

Gives new meaning to the buffers!

And the wood library!

11top
11-30-2012, 06:28 AM
I'd buy Markie's guitar collection. However, I might still need a loan.

Rodicus
11-30-2012, 06:39 AM
I would want to book a trip to the PRS factory with my Dad and my brother to pick out wood for some Private Stocks. 3 or 4 each. lol! My wife would probably want to buy a new house and get some new wheels. But after that look out Maryland!

james
11-30-2012, 07:47 AM
I would want to book a trip to the PRS factory with my Dad and my brother to pick out wood for some Private Stocks. 3 or 4 each. lol! My wife would probably want to buy a new house and get some new wheels. But after that look out Maryland!

You're buying lunch.

themike
11-30-2012, 08:03 AM
You're buying lunch.

Wait - you're telling me the Taco and BBQ trailers aren't ALWAYS in the parking lot?

newfmp3
11-30-2012, 09:03 AM
Mine is rather different. I want a good doctor. One that actually cares about fixing my issues. I figure a few hundred million and I could at least find one somewhere.

John Beef
11-30-2012, 10:22 AM
Probably a custom house with a completely soundproof studio/rehearsal space. I don't care about the rest of the house really, I just want a badass place to play music all day.

OsirisProtocol
11-30-2012, 10:51 AM
1) New house for the lady and I. Nothing crazy but something comfortable with a few of the "extras" I've always dreamed of.
2) New house for my mother either in the states or back home in Barbados. Her choice.
3) Family vacation. I can already imagine the planning nightmare this will turn into. Fairly large family with crazy ideas.
4) Pay off all my school loans.
5) Two cars for the lady and I.
6) Trip to the Wood Library to spec out a few guitars I've been dreaming up.
7) Set aside a chunk for future kids college funds and life expenses.
8) Donate a large sum to a few choice charities.

newfmp3
11-30-2012, 11:25 AM
I'm not sure how I would do it. I have had to work my butt off for every single dime I have ever gotten. I have worked and bought everything myself since I was 11 yrs old. We were not well off. Lots of love in family, best parents I could ask for, but not much $$$.

Pass me that kind of money, I probably still save it, invest it, hold on to it like I have done all my life. I certainly wouldn't waste it.

ahhh, who am I kidding!

Shawn@PRS
11-30-2012, 11:25 AM
I'd buy a nice, yet modest, house on the water for my wife. She's always wanted to live on the water.
Then I'd buy us some new cars. Again nice, but nothing crazy.
After that I'd take a kick ass trip and I'd fly first class. No more flying coach.
For the bulk of the money I would set up a foundation with a board of directors. That way the money could be given out to various charities in an appropriate and equitable way.

Rosewoodsteel
11-30-2012, 12:01 PM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ;31169']...what would have been your 1st major purchase? And why?

It had to cross your mind. How often does Powerball get that crazy?

I would buy my friend Hans a brand new PRS.
Why? Hey, what are friends for?

iahawk36
11-30-2012, 01:25 PM
I honestly would take the majority of it and establish a foundation that funds school music programs for schools that have had to cut theirs. It's been a dream of mine to do something like that for a long time, and I would also secretly buy guitars/basses/amps for kids that can't afford them. And the kids who are really passionate about guitars, I would take them on trips to the Wood Library and let them spec out a guitar of their very own. That's my dream.

sergiodeblanc
11-30-2012, 01:33 PM
For the bulk of the money I would set up a foundation with a board of directors. That way the money could be given out to various charities in an appropriate and equitable way.

I honestly would take the majority of it and establish a foundation that funds school music programs for schools that have had to cut theirs. It's been a dream of mine to do something like that for a long time, and I would also secretly buy guitars/basses/amps for kids that can't afford them. And the kids who are really passionate about guitars, I would take them on trips to the Wood Library and let them spec out a guitar of their very own. That's my dream.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIYb_NH3rrQ

Shawn@PRS
11-30-2012, 02:22 PM
Well of course the shiny new cars and parties come before the foundation. :)

Honestly, I watched a documentary about the late great racecar drive Aryton Senna and he gave me the idea. As he gained fame and fortune, more and more people came out of the woodwork asking for money. He had to set up a foundation so that all request had to be vetted for authenticity.

Not to derail the thread, but if anyone hasn't seen the movie "Senna", watch it now it's amazing!

hippietim
11-30-2012, 03:07 PM
My first purchase would be a new guitar for Hans.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
11-30-2012, 03:59 PM
My first purchase would be a new guitar for Hans.

Red, white, and blue, please. Star inlays... 408's... :santa:

I would buy my friend Hans a brand new PRS.
Why? Hey, what are friends for?

[warm fuzzy]

Goldtop
11-30-2012, 05:26 PM
My first move would be to get in touch with a gifted financial expert, and maybe an attorney. Opportunists would come out of the woodwork at a lottery winner and I'd want to be prepared for them.

For practical needs, I guess I would probably start with a new(er) vehicle. I have a tired Dodge pickup from the 80's with nearly a million miles on it. I also have a mechanic that I pay a little to every month. That says it all. I don't need a brand new whatever off of the showroom floor, but something newer that I was pretty sure would start whenever I needed it would be nice.

For pure, selfish enjoyment, I'd like to have a PRS Goldtop with birds. Either a Stripped 58, or a DGT. And if I had lottery money, then a nice Paisley covered amp to go along with them would be nice too, maybe a HX/DA.

I love animals, so I'd like to do something to help them. Not as in donate to the ASPCA, or one of those groups, (which would be fine by the way I guess), but I mean something more along the lines of finding some small shelters around the country and covering their costs. Maybe pay to have a vet retained for a year for meds, operations, etc. Make it so that for the next x number of years, no animals at the shelter would need to be put down. Help with advertising to get adoptions up. Patch a leaky roof. Pay their back taxes to keep their doors open.

Then, I'd like to set up a group in however many cities and towns I could, and do this: Go out, find people who need help, and help them. For a number of year back when I was married, around Christmastime I used to do something I called "The GTs". It stood for "Go to Them". Here's how it worked:

I would go buy bags of groceries, and various toys, clothes, toiletries, etc. I would end up with the bed of my pickup filled with stuff. Then, I'd pick a day, and just go drive around in the poor parts of town, find a house or kid that looked like they could use it, and stop. I'd knock on their door, bring them out to the pickup, and they could take whatever they needed. A bag of food? It was there. A toy or two? Fine. Some gloves or a sweater? Go for it. I'd see if they needed to go anywhere and offer to take them. Or sometimes I'd offer them a little cash, maybe for that past due light bill, or the gas that was about to be shut off, or a new tire for the clunker in the driveway that I'd seen sitting up on a block for weeks. Not huge amounts of money; twenty or thirty bucks. Whatever I had on me. I never asked for too many details, and I never needed them. It wasn't rocket science. I could see the need and I tried to help.

People usually accepted it. On one or two occasions, they didn't. They were almost always suspicious in the beginning, but after I talked to them a bit they understood where I was coming from. No strings, no red tape, no organizations to register with, no riding the bus across town and sitting through 'talks' all day for a few cans of pie filling to take home. Just simple help then and there with no questions asked. (It is incredibly difficult to bring yourself to reach out and ask for help. Trust me; I know. This did away with that problem.)

I'd make three or four trips doing this around the holidays. I did them alone at first because I knew it wasn't my wife's cup of tea. When I finally did approach her with the idea of joining me, she was skeptical to say the least. She never did totally come around to the idea, but to her credit she did go out and help me a few times. (One year I picked the toys, she picked the food, and we both picked the clothes. That was a good year.) She was always telling me I was asking to get my throat cut, yet never once did anything threatening or uncomfortable take place. Not once. These were poor people, not criminals. BIG difference!

I'm not able to do that kind of thing anymore, and it's one of the few things about what I call 'my old life' that I truly miss. To be honest, I'm barely keeping myself afloat now. Maybe it's selfish of me, but I used to love making those trips. I looked forward to it all year long, and if I had won that lottery, I would start it all up again on a grand scale. And I would fix my stupid mistake of only doing it during the holidays. This time around it would be on a regular basis throughout the year.

GT aka Goldtop

Goldtop
11-30-2012, 05:34 PM
Mine is rather different. I want a good doctor. One that actually cares about fixing my issues. I figure a few hundred million and I could at least find one somewhere.

newfmp3,

I feel for you. I have too many health problems of my own to get into, so I know what it's like to deal with it all along with the indifference (or worse, incompetence) of some doctors, nurses, and the like.

I'm with you in spirit for what it's worth.

Lloyd/Goldtop

Chris528
11-30-2012, 06:23 PM
I would buy Hostess so I could still eat Twinkies!!

newfmp3
12-02-2012, 08:00 PM
newfmp3,

I feel for you. I have too many health problems of my own to get into, so I know what it's like to deal with it all along with the indifference (or worse, incompetence) of some doctors, nurses, and the like.

I'm with you in spirit for what it's worth.

Lloyd/Goldtop

thanks bud

bluefade
12-02-2012, 10:01 PM
I only wish

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d84/jamesdavidjones/James/DSCN14141.jpg

ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!