PDA

View Full Version : NGD SE Custom 24 2012 Purple Burst

Mikegarveyblues
12-01-2012, 10:11 AM
Well...

I knew I was probably going to get a new guitar this Xmas / Birthday. Didn't think i'd have the funds for anything approaching something like the C24 (Unless I grabbed the older model) but low and behold the stars aligned and I picked up a brand spanking new one for a nice price from PMT in Manchester.

I was actually eyeing up the competition as I was gassing for another Strat such as the 50's Classic Series by Fender, but... But This 24 in a rather fetching purple burst stood out!

Plugged it in and fell in love! Never got on with 24 fretters before but this felt pretty good. Still prefer the neck of the Bernie a touch but I can get used to this quite easily I think.

I can also say it's perfect in terms of fit and finish. The nut is perfectly cut and doesn't go out of tune with trem use. [Edit: Closer examination and more time playing shows this not to be the case. The nut is fine for light trem use but I will need a new one as the high E is cut a little too low and there's some slight binding] Tone wise it's nice and bright acousticly and pretty good plugged in. With the Bernie I knew straight away I wanted to ditch the bridge pup but i'm liking what i'm hearing with this. Forgot it had the coil tap so I didn't mess with that in the shop.

Think i'll pull the Suhr Doug Aldrich pup from the Bernie and put the Mule back in so I can have the one really vintage sounding guitar.

The bad news?

It's getting locked in it's bag for the next 25 days. :(

Edit: Photos! :)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8207/8235682115_031609fdd2_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8479/8235680633_9ab928a3d1_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8208/8236745234_6763253c45_b.jpg

Must be the birds he's after...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8348/8236743594_fed5ea78e1_b.jpg

I'll post a photo or two later today and a demo in the new year!

andy474x
12-01-2012, 10:50 AM
Flame or quilt? I love the finishes they have going over in the UK, I wish more dealers ordered them here! Anyways, congrats - and condolences on the next 25 days!

Zukabak
12-01-2012, 05:03 PM
Not even a teaser photo? Poor show..haha

Mikegarveyblues
12-01-2012, 05:47 PM
Not even a teaser photo? Poor show..haha

I know! :) Took a pic with my phone but I didn't want the first shot to be crappy.

Going to post a few in an hour or so. The locks are on the bag (No, I can't be trusted!) and it's away until the big day... Unless the Mayans are right in which case... I'll never see her again! Boo Hoo!

Mikegarveyblues
12-01-2012, 05:48 PM
Flame or quilt? I love the finishes they have going over in the UK, I wish more dealers ordered them here! Anyways, congrats - and condolences on the next 25 days!

Flame. More subtle than the Bernie but very nice all the same.

Didn't realise they didn't do the Puprle Burst in the States. Do you just have the Tobacco and Blue?

Mikegarveyblues
12-01-2012, 07:36 PM
Okey dokey... Some glam shots added to the OP.

LindseyP
12-02-2012, 04:55 AM
Your tops are a Sweet pair of girls.

CoreyT
12-02-2012, 05:11 AM
Very nice!
Nice to see one of the UK colors too.

Drastion
01-13-2013, 05:47 AM
I just love that color. Too bad they send all the interesting colors across the pond. Those quilted top se 245 were just beautiful.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/PRS-SE-245-Singlecut-Electric-Guitar-Purple-Burst-Quilt-Maple-Top-with-Gigbag-/00/s/NDAwWDQwMA==/$(KGrHqF,!hMFBcIHE9!rBQc19U7Js!~~60_1.JPG

prsguitarman101
01-13-2013, 09:18 AM
Yeah I dont understand why we cant have the purple tops here in the USA?!?!?!?

sergiodeblanc
01-13-2013, 10:56 AM
Hey! You stole my cat!! Oh wait, there she is.

Aeetus
01-13-2013, 11:48 AM
Congrats, both great guitars and I love that purple. So are you able to play with it yet?

Mikegarveyblues
01-13-2013, 04:46 PM
I just love that color. Too bad they send all the interesting colors across the pond. Those quilted top se 245 were just beautiful.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/PRS-SE-245-Singlecut-Electric-Guitar-Purple-Burst-Quilt-Maple-Top-with-Gigbag-/00/s/NDAwWDQwMA==/$(KGrHqF,!hMFBcIHE9!rBQc19U7Js!~~60_1.JPG

That's a sweet looking 245!

Mikegarveyblues
01-13-2013, 04:49 PM
Congrats, both great guitars and I love that purple. So are you able to play with it yet?

Been working on a Gary Moore cover with it. Loving it... The only slight downer is the nut which needs replacing. A little binding with the stock 9's (I wan't to throw my usual 10's on it) and the high E slot is cut a touch too deep.

Great guitar though... Possibly love the coil tapped tones more than the HB sound!

swede71
01-13-2013, 04:50 PM
Dont kill me for saying this but from what ive heard on YT the SE 24s sounds better than the american ones.I especially dig these 2 vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL6nvCmVmvw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FthdnJSDOsc

Really cool guitar Mike!Love the color.

Mikegarveyblues
01-13-2013, 05:18 PM
Yeah I dont understand why we cant have the purple tops here in the USA?!?!?!?

I'm surprised you don't... Mind you, you do get the rather tasty 'Thank You Packs'!

Mikegarveyblues
01-13-2013, 05:22 PM
Dont kill me for saying this but from what ive heard on YT the SE 24s sounds better than the american ones.I especially dig these 2 vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL6nvCmVmvw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FthdnJSDOsc

Really cool guitar Mike!Love the color.

Cheers bud!

The guitar sounds great in both those vids... Mind you, the fact they're two monster players helps! :)

Love it when Paul smiles during the lick Mike plays at around 1:50!

swede71
01-13-2013, 05:39 PM
Yeah i know,great players but the SE customs sings differently as i hear it.

Mikegarveyblues
01-13-2013, 05:45 PM
Yeah i know,great players but the SE customs sings differently as i hear it.

The one i've got really sings. More sustain than my Bernie which I was surprised by.

swede71
01-13-2013, 06:06 PM
I know the words for it now Mike...more crispy highs

Rango
01-13-2013, 06:52 PM
I was so busy looking at the guitars that I didn't see the cat!...kept thinking "what does he mean by "must be the birds he's after" " :D

Congrats! ;)

t.shamone
01-13-2013, 07:24 PM
Great looking guitar you picked up Mike!

Drastion
01-16-2013, 02:17 AM
Again I got to say I love that color. In fact I am going to see if I can special order one. Almost wanted to order a allender but those bat inlays are far from my thing and I already have emgs in my schecter.

How bright is the purple burst kind of hard to tell from pics on the web?

That and looking at yours where some look like the rings are cream colored and one looks white. This makes me think like sweetwater all the pics I am finding have poor lighting.

CoreyT
01-16-2013, 03:22 AM
Sweetwaters pics are not the best, they are often dark.

Mikegarveyblues
01-16-2013, 01:09 PM
I was so busy looking at the guitars that I didn't see the cat!...kept thinking "what does he mean by "must be the birds he's after" " :D

Congrats! ;)

Great looking guitar you picked up Mike!

Cheers chaps!

Mikegarveyblues
01-16-2013, 01:14 PM
Again I got to say I love that color. In fact I am going to see if I can special order one. Almost wanted to order a allender but those bat inlays are far from my thing and I already have emgs in my schecter.

How bright is the purple burst kind of hard to tell from pics on the web?

That and looking at yours where some look like the rings are cream colored and one looks white. This makes me think like sweetwater all the pics I am finding have poor lighting.

The first pic I brightened up so the top stood out, but they where all photographed with poor lighting. Looks quite dark with the houselights on. I'll photograph it tomorrow in daylight for a better representation.

It's certainly a darker purple. Pup rings are cream.

Drastion
01-16-2013, 02:24 PM
Appreciate that. Side not how does your 24 compare to your strat? Those are the exact two guitars I am torn between. I know split coil isnt perfect single coil sound. I just have heard lots of good things on the custom 24 split. Coupled with its versatility and that beautifull purple make me want to side with the custom 24.

Basically how well do you think the split coil is compared to a strat for blues type of clean sound?

Mikegarveyblues
01-16-2013, 02:36 PM
Appreciate that. Side not how does your 24 compare to your strat? Those are the exact two guitars I am torn between. I know split coil isnt perfect single coil sound. I just have heard lots of good things on the custom 24 split. Coupled with its versatility and that beautifull purple make me want to side with the custom 24.

Basically how well do you think the split coil is compared to a strat for blues type of clean sound?

I love the coil split sounds on the C24... Possibly the best i've heard (In my limited experience). I've not compared them side to side but - IMHO - you can't beat the sound of a proper single coil with some light overdrive from a good valve amp.

However, the C24 - as you mentioned - has that versatility. The tapped tones are close enough unless you're looking for that exact Strat tone.

I love Strats but if I had no other guitars and had to choose between the C24 and a Strat i'd go with the C24 because of the versatility.

Drastion
01-17-2013, 04:33 AM
Not totally set on either. So I think I will let my special order decide. Love the purple but not liking the other colors much. That's one thing I have learned. If I get something I like but don't love I end up regretting it. So if I can get a purple 24 I will if not it will be a charcoal frost american standard.

Sometimes I wish I didn't enjoy playing so much. But playing a new guitar is too much fun even if I really only need and have the skills to play one.

Mikegarveyblues
01-17-2013, 05:51 PM

Will have to photo it another day. Not much daylight going around at the moment!

Mikegarveyblues
01-17-2013, 05:56 PM
Not totally set on either. So I think I will let my special order decide. Love the purple but not liking the other colors much. That's one thing I have learned. If I get something I like but don't love I end up regretting it. So if I can get a purple 24 I will if not it will be a charcoal frost american standard.

Sometimes I wish I didn't enjoy playing so much. But playing a new guitar is too much fun even if I really only need and have the skills to play one.

Best thing to do is to get to a store that has both the Strat and the C24 2012 and try them both out. The colour doesn't matter as you can just come back and order one online. best to do that rather than always wonder "Would I have liked th Strat more / would I have liked the C24 more".

I was

Drastion
01-18-2013, 12:55 AM
Sadly I don't have that option. Live in town where the closest thing to a guitar store is walmarts toy section with those lovely barbie first act guitars. That's why I spend way too much time reading about the guitars I want and reading tons of reviews. Done me well so far except my first guitar. Not bad just wish I could get a replacement neck to get ride of the awful inlays. That and the frets were only leveled and not crowned. First guitar I didn't know any better.

Eventually I will own both not any time soon hopefully but soon enough.

Mikegarveyblues
01-20-2013, 01:42 PM
Okay... Got a Tusq nut on order from the US.

fed up fighting the tuning issues so i'm going to attempt to fit one myself. Ordered another nut for a cheaper guitar I don't play so I can have a 'practice'.

Will see how the tuning is after i've installed the nut and then I may pick up a set of Grover 406C mini locking tuners.

Victek
03-16-2013, 09:44 AM
Okay... Got a Tusq nut on order from the US. fed up fighting the tuning issues so i'm going to attempt to fit one myself. Ordered another nut for a cheaper guitar I don't play so I can have a 'practice'. Will see how the tuning is after i've installed the nut and then I may pick up a set of Grover 406C mini locking tuners. I also have a PRS SE C24 and I'm considering the locking tuners. I've read these are a simple swap, is that correct, and how does the locking mechanism work? I've only seen the locking tuners where there's a disk on the back that you turn to lock/unlock and these don't have that.

Bubbalou
04-16-2013, 06:30 AM
I also have a PRS SE C24 and I'm considering the locking tuners. I've read these are a simple swap, is that correct, and how does the locking mechanism work? I've only seen the locking tuners where there's a disk on the back that you turn to lock/unlock and these don't have that.

Any updates???

Victek
04-16-2013, 09:29 AM
Any updates??? If you mean did I replace the tuners yet, no sorry. If you're wanting to read user reviews have a look on Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Grover-406C-Rotomatic-Locking-Machine/dp/B0007Y3XGW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366122462&sr=8-1&keywords=Grover+locking+tuners+406c

Bubbalou
04-16-2013, 09:59 AM
If you mean did I replace the tuners yet, no sorry. If you're wanting to read user reviews have a look on Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Grover-406C-Rotomatic-Locking-Machine/dp/B0007Y3XGW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366122462&sr=8-1&keywords=Grover+locking+tuners+406c

Are you having any consternation with the 406C Rotomatic "Buttons" being different from PRS???? I have been thinking about it and while they are a little different the 18:1 gear ratio along with the ability to lock the strings thus making string change much easier may win me over. I will have to see when my SE Santana comes in a few days from now and get some playing time on it.