PDA

View Full Version : 3 Mike 7-12

Shawn@PRS
12-04-2012, 09:46 AM
So our friend Mike came up with an unusual idea and asked the PTC if we could execute his crazy plan. He wanted to take a PRS 12 string and turn it into a 7 string. After a little discussion, we said “Yes!”.

Th3Mike then bought a PRS 12 string sight unseen and had it shipped directly to the factory for renovations. Here is the progress so far.

Skitchy laid out the tuners to see how they were going to line up using only 7 of the 12 holes.
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/gitfukintar/PRS/3Mike7-12/m2.jpg

He than made a makeshift bridge to determine how the string spacing was going to work. Since this was going to have a unique string spacing, he had to modify many of the parts that will be used.
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/gitfukintar/PRS/3Mike7-12/m1.jpg

Since the existing holes did not line up well, most of the holes were filled…
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/gitfukintar/PRS/3Mike7-12/m4.jpg

…and then re-drilled in the correct position
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/gitfukintar/PRS/3Mike7-12/m5.jpg

Mike wanted the center pickup removed and filled in, so Skitchy made blocks to plug the holes.
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/gitfukintar/PRS/3Mike7-12/m3.jpg

Since a new bridge was necessary, the studs were pulled and plugged and new bridge holes drilled
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/gitfukintar/PRS/3Mike7-12/m8.jpg

Oh yeah, string-thru body
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/gitfukintar/PRS/3Mike7-12/m7.jpg

Siggy Electronics need divots, right?
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/gitfukintar/PRS/3Mike7-12/m9.jpg

Headstock starting to take shape
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/gitfukintar/PRS/3Mike7-12/m10.jpg

This has been a challenging and fun project so far and I can’t wait to see the final product. More to come.

Serious Poo
12-04-2012, 09:54 AM
Wow, that's freakin cool. Can't wait to see/hear it when you're done.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
12-04-2012, 09:59 AM
I love this.

Can't wait to see how this PTC custom creation turns out!

Dirty Bob
12-04-2012, 10:06 AM
HOLY ****!!!!!!!!!!

themike
12-04-2012, 10:23 AM
Its been so hard to keep it hush hush! Ahah This project is seriously a huge undertaking and the PTC guys have done nothing but hit it completely out of the park in every way! :)

south89
12-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Mike,

Very cool project you have goping on there . I can't wait to see the finished product. This makes me feel very good about my project seeing this because mine is minor compared to what you have going on.

Shawn and the PTC crew ROCK !!!!:rock:

aduayer
12-04-2012, 11:07 AM
man, you are from another planet. awesome + fantastic

Mikegarveyblues
12-04-2012, 11:31 AM
More coolness from PTC!

Danerada
12-04-2012, 12:14 PM
Holy Monkey Mike!!!!!!

That is just freaking great! Skitchy, you're a freaking maniacal genius!!!!!!

iahawk36
12-04-2012, 12:26 PM
YES!!!!

WEDGE
12-04-2012, 12:32 PM
Love it!

Aeetus
12-04-2012, 12:37 PM
Wow, too cool. Can't wait to see how it's finished.... going to be killer!

sergiodeblanc
12-04-2012, 01:04 PM
WOW! I remember you and Hans alluding to this concept, but never in my wildest dreams did I think you were serious!

Balls/wallet of steel, my man.

VHTStark
12-04-2012, 01:10 PM
Shawn, Mike and the PTC.....this is SERIOUSLY cool! I will be watching this thread closely anticipating the final product!

justmund
12-04-2012, 01:56 PM
Wow wow wow. Very very very cool.

JMintzer
12-04-2012, 04:14 PM
DaFuq??? Skitchy is amazing!!!

veinbuster
12-04-2012, 04:45 PM
That's mental - in the extremely awesome sense of the phrase.

DRM_777
12-04-2012, 05:33 PM
OK, since no one else is going to approach the elephant in the room.............. Why?

I mean, this might be the dumbest question ever, but I'm not scared of asking stupid questions if I end up being enlightened, but why take a 12 String neck and make into a 7 string when PRS can already do 7 String necks?

Am I missing something here?

themike
12-04-2012, 05:38 PM
OK, since no one else is going to approach the elephant in the room.............. Why?

I mean, this might be the dumbest question ever, but I'm not scared of asking stupid questions if I end up being enlightened, but why take a 12 String neck and make into a 7 string when PRS can already do 7 String necks?

Am I missing something here?

Because we began planning this project before the SE-7 was announced and I really have a great deal of fun doing unique projects with the PTC dudes - its my flavor.

themike
12-04-2012, 05:49 PM
Thanks everyone for the positive words! I'm so stoked on it I can't believe its happening - its been tossed around for years as an idea and its very much so a reality now! ahah

aduayer
12-04-2012, 05:49 PM
Because we began planning this project before the SE-7 was announced and I really have a great deal of fun doing unique projects with the PTC dudes - its my flavor.

My insane mind totally understand you. don't forget to keep us up to date, bro.

Michael B
12-04-2012, 06:00 PM
Mike....this is so cool!! WOW!! The work is lookig phenominal!! Love this!! Such a great idea!! Can't wait for more updates!!!!

38Roars
12-04-2012, 07:52 PM
SNAP!!!

WEDGE
12-04-2012, 09:45 PM
Gonna give it a custom black to red fade?

themike
12-04-2012, 09:51 PM
Gonna give it a custom black to red fade?

Haha I wish, but I think that's going to stay with the last PTC project! This tops going to have to be opaque because of the pickup and bridge pin plugging.

Goldtop
12-04-2012, 10:22 PM
Haha I wish, but I think that's going to stay with the last PTC project! This tops going to have to be opaque because of the pickup and bridge pin plugging.

Might I suggesttttt........

(Hey, I can't afford one, so I'm just trying to live vicariously!) :)

I always look forward to PTC threads. Amazing as usual.

Goldtop

themike
12-05-2012, 10:09 AM
Might I suggesttttt........

(Hey, I can't afford one, so I'm just trying to live vicariously!) :)

I always look forward to PTC threads. Amazing as usual.

Goldtop

Haha we'll need to set up a jam for you with my 7 string when its done :)

That reminds me - when I get home I'll recreate my other PTC thread from BAM on here because it was a nice, documented look at more PTC insanity! :shakes head:

themike
12-05-2012, 03:15 PM
The prepping begins!

http://i50.tinypic.com/b69bg4.jpg

james
12-05-2012, 03:36 PM
Mike, you're totally outta control. that's awesome

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
12-05-2012, 03:39 PM
Man, you should consider a graphic that covers the plug in the middle to preserve that killer top.

You know... like a big #3. ;)

The prepping begins!

http://i50.tinypic.com/b69bg4.jpg

rugerpc
12-05-2012, 03:52 PM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;32688']Man, you should consider a graphic that covers the plug in the middle to preserve that killer top.

You know... like a big #3. ;)

No need even for a graphic - just stain it to match even if the grain doesn't - no different than the plugged holes in Howard Leese's guitar - just bugger....

Twinfan
12-05-2012, 04:37 PM
Awesome!

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease make it a black top with natural back and sides! :D

Mike Duncan
12-05-2012, 05:28 PM
This is one of the greatest things I've ever seen!! Holy moly!!

Mikegarveyblues
12-05-2012, 05:51 PM
No need even for a graphic - just stain it to match even if the grain doesn't - no different than the plugged holes in Howard Leese's guitar - just bugger....

+1 (Though I hope you meant bigger! :) )

Nice top on that, be a shame to see it go.

themike
12-05-2012, 06:11 PM
Sorry to let some of you down but it is going to be an opaque top. NONE of my PRS are a solid color and while the reason for that is because I love the wood and trans stains, I feel on this beast I just need to have a solid, bad ass color. Now what color is that? Well - it could easily work for the darkside....
http://i49.tinypic.com/35a8a4j.jpg

WEDGE
12-05-2012, 07:18 PM
Black......and not gloss but matte finish with really faint grey-white birds spread across it that look like they are under the finish.....

sergiodeblanc
12-05-2012, 07:20 PM
Gold top -white back.

themike
12-05-2012, 07:25 PM
OK now you guys are getting crazy with the finish ideas hahah

clcwarlock
12-05-2012, 07:52 PM
Black with red blood splatter on a 7 string = Evil

james
12-05-2012, 07:53 PM
Hard to beat black and nickel hardware. My Subaru has black paint, but in the sun, there's a bit of sparkle in it. Not a sexy car by any means, but I like that sparkle when I see it.

justmund
12-05-2012, 08:07 PM
Snow (Pearl) White and the 7 strings!

Dirty Bob
12-05-2012, 08:16 PM
My 2cents....talk to Shawn about Mr. Bud Davis having a go at her!!!!

james
12-05-2012, 08:18 PM
If that guitar were coming out of the hallway I work in, it would probably leave as a bass boat sparkle, and it would be awesome

Jester
12-05-2012, 08:27 PM
Very cool.

Was a 7 string ever a private stock option?

hoofarted
12-05-2012, 08:32 PM
If that guitar were coming out of the hallway I work in, it would probably leave as a bass boat sparkle, and it would be awesome

http://images.wikia.com/random-ness/images/6/6e/Wrestling_yes.gif

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
12-05-2012, 08:52 PM
If the people down from "the hallway [you] work in" start doing bassboat sparkles again, please let me know!!!

hoofarted
12-05-2012, 11:25 PM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;32751']If the people down from "the hallway [you] work in" start doing bassboat sparkles again, please let me know!!!
First on board if we EVER see this again:
(No, really, a silver holoflake CU24 is the guitar of my dreams)

http://www.rumbleseatmusic.com/images/full%20size%201033w/96PRSCustom24Holoflake.jpg

DRM_777
12-06-2012, 03:40 AM

Yeah but even even before the existence of the SE Production 7 Strings, PRS still made 7 Strings....... to quote Paul Smith via Dave Weiner in regards to 7 strings back in 2010, "We don't do it very often, but we do it very well" and so I'm sorry, I just don't get what the big deal about this project is.

Out of curiosity, how does the neck width compare to a purpose built 7 string neck? I'd be concerned that the string spacing would end up too close together and that in the end, it wouldn't be as playable as a purpose built 7 string neck......

Regardless, I am sure the PTC guys will do a wonderful job for you and I'm sure you will be happy with the results.

Just my 2 cents.....

themike
12-06-2012, 06:44 AM
Yeah but even even before the existence of the SE Production 7 Strings, PRS still made 7 Strings....... to quote Paul Smith via Dave Weiner in regards to 7 strings back in 2010, "We don't do it very often, but we do it very well" and so I'm sorry, I just don't get what the big deal about this project is.

Out of curiosity, how does the neck width compare to a purpose built 7 string neck? I'd be concerned that the string spacing would end up too close together and that in the end, it wouldn't be as playable as a purpose built 7 string neck......

I'm very familiar with the Daves gear and that quote, but you have to understand when they do it - its done well IN Private Stock. Everything was measured out ahead of time and I wouldn't be doing it if we thought spacing would be an issue. Like I said, its been months of planning.

Danerada
12-06-2012, 07:13 AM
and so I'm sorry, I just don't get what the big deal about this project is.

The thing about the project is (the way I see it) that one of our buds is getting a guitar the way he wants it by working with a PRS mad scientist (Skitchy) to transform one guitar into a different guitar...AND that our bud is really excited about it and it is a big deal to him...therefore, it is a big deal to us.

Plus its cool....

rugerpc
12-06-2012, 07:49 AM
... just bugger....

(Though I hope you meant bigger! :) )

OH! FAUX PAS! my bad.... oops!

rugerpc
12-06-2012, 07:57 AM
by working with a PRS mad scientist (Skitchy) to transform one guitar into a different guitar...

There is very much a mad scientist vibe here and it's cool.... "They're doing what to a what??"

themike
12-06-2012, 08:14 AM
There is very much a mad scientist vibe here and it's cool.... "They're doing what to a what??"

Seriously - Skitchy is INSANELY talented and creative... so much so that it's scarey.

Dirty Bob
12-06-2012, 08:48 AM

Regardless, I am sure the PTC guys will do a wonderful job for you and I'm sure you will be happy with the results.

Just my 2 cents.....

I just don't get the negativity in your posts...I think its rude. I think the way you phrased your comments could have been done with more tact. There is a better way you could have approached this if you wanted to learn about what actually is being done.

The PTC guys do not undertake projects they think will not work. They push boundaries which is a good thing. They are the best in the biz. I think this project rocks.

DRM_777
12-06-2012, 09:24 AM
I'm very familiar with the Daves gear and that quote, but you have to understand when they do it - its done well IN Private Stock. Everything was measured out ahead of time and I wouldn't be doing it if we thought spacing would be an issue. Like I said, its been months of planning.

Fair play dude. I still don't really get it, but I'll still be interested to see how it all turns out.

The thing about the project is (the way I see it) that one of our buds is getting a guitar the way he wants it by working with a PRS mad scientist (Skitchy) to transform one guitar into a different guitar...AND that our bud is really excited about it and it is a big deal to him...therefore, it is a big deal to us.

Plus its cool....

That's cool too, congrats to all involved.....but it doesn't mean I have to get it........instead I'll reserve judgement till its been completed, but even then, it's not my guitar or my money so in the grand scale of things, my opinion means zero.

I just don't get the negativity in your posts...I think its rude. I think the way you phrased your comments could have been done with more tact. There is a better way you could have approached this if you wanted to learn about what actually is being done.

I'm sorry if you think I'm being rude, that's not my intention, I'm just a straight shooter and call things as I see them, sometimes it may come off as rude, but really I just don't have time to sugar coat things and pander to the needs of the delicate/thin skinned.

As for the negativity towards this project, well there is nothing I can do about that because as a whole, while I don't think the idea is completely pointless, I do find it rather unnecessary, regardless of how long the planning has been under way.

I mean, If I was waiting 6 months for one type of heart surgery and a newer, better and more convenient type came along, I wouldn't still get the old type because it had been planned for longer......

Furthermore, just because twenty guys come along and say something is amazing and one person comes along and disagrees, doesn't instantly make the one person wrong and therefore deserving of chastising, it just means that the one dude (me in this case) has a difference of opinion and I am under the impression that this board is mature enough to be able to deal with a difference of opinion without instigating some kind of ousting or witch hunt...... right?

But like I said previously, I'm still interested to see how it pans out regardless of my initial thoughts up to this point. I am fully able and willing to eat humble pie if it turns out as brilliantly as it's being pre empted....

The PTC guys do not undertake projects they think will not work. They push boundaries which is a good thing. They are the best in the biz. I think this project rocks.

The work that the PTC dudes do was never under question, but that doesn't mean I have to like this project ....nor should I have to hold back my opinions when they have a constructive element (i.e. neck width concerns) to them which have already been addressed anyway.

Danerada
12-06-2012, 09:31 AM
That's cool too, congrats to all involved.....but it doesn't mean I have to get it........it's not my guitar or my money so in the grand scale of things, my opinion means zero.

You are correct on all counts. Now lets get off of this and see some more pics!!!!

Dirty Bob
12-06-2012, 10:29 AM
I'm sorry if you think I'm being rude, that's not my intention, I'm just a straight shooter and call things as I see them, sometimes it may come off as rude, but really I just don't have time to sugar coat things and pander to the needs of the delicate/thin skinned.

There is nothing wrong with being a straight shooter. There is also nothing wrong with disagreeing with someone. I did not take issue with that. I think that part of being able to effectively communicate in a diverse community and ultimately becoming a well received contributing member of that community is to consider how others will interpret your comments before you make them and word them in a way that your message comes across thoughtfully, clearly and concisely. Ultimately if not done in this fashion your message will be missed by the very audience you are trying to communicate with.

JMintzer
12-06-2012, 11:07 AM
There's a fine line between Straight Shooter and....

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
12-06-2012, 11:08 AM
There's a fine line between Straight Shooter and....

Soooo.... are you shooting straight right now? :rofl:

Danerada
12-06-2012, 11:12 AM
See what you did Mike?! You put up a seemingly innocent post, but I think you had a devious plan in mind the whole time. "Let's see...what can I do to get the forum churning? bwahahaha"

themike
12-06-2012, 11:14 AM
See what you did Mike?! You put up a seemingly innocent post, but I think you had a devious plan in mind the whole time. "Let's see...what can I do to get the forum churning? bwahahaha"

Tell me about it! hahaha Its all good guys. DRM is more than welcome to his opinion and skeptiscism for the project as is anyone else. The internet is not serious business so I don't take it to heart - plus he likes Chimaira so he gets a pass.

I am in love with this project and anyone who doesn't can simply....well....

http://i.imgur.com/lhGkT.gif

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
12-06-2012, 11:51 AM
Honest feedback is always allowed. Whether or not it is in good taste is the question.

When a member is sharing his guitar with community you should think of it like he (or she) is making a toast. You have two options: Drink or don't drink.

tmac65
12-06-2012, 12:02 PM
I am amazed at the skill of the PTC crew. I enjoy reading the threads and seeing the pics of their work. Some of the projects make me envious, like the piezo install they did for Mike. Other projects just aren't for me for a variety of reasons. Would I turn a 12-string into a 7-string? No (I can barely play 6), but I'm not about to criticize or question someone for making that choice. So while this isn't one I'd want to do, I will still sit back and wait for more progress photos and marvel at the skill involved in the transformation.

In the end, Mike will have a guitar that is far more meaningful to him than a stock SE-7 or a PS model, and honestly, that is all that matters.

Now... How long before we see more pics?

themike
12-06-2012, 12:53 PM
Ha thanks man, that Piezo install was masterful! I need to reacreate that thread for this forum since it was lost with BAM.

I think I should have more photos after it comes back from paint :)

JMintzer
12-06-2012, 01:14 PM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;32900']Soooo.... are you shooting straight right now? :rofl:

You tell me. This is at 100 yds, iron sights, an M1 Garand...

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2270/702387/22883001/404904581.jpg

:wave:

Jamie

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
12-06-2012, 02:39 PM
_[GULP]

Brad737
12-06-2012, 02:41 PM
Jamie,
That's excellent shooting. But if I can make a tiny suggestion, with the slightly "southeast" grouping, you may be squeezing your whole hand a tiny bit during your trigger pull. Try isolating just your trigger finger during the pull just a little more. Great job!

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
12-06-2012, 02:56 PM
_[GULP]

JMintzer
12-06-2012, 03:09 PM
Jamie,
That's excellent shooting. But if I can make a tiny suggestion, with the slightly "southeast" grouping, you may be squeezing your whole hand a tiny bit during your trigger pull. Try isolating just your trigger finger during the pull just a little more. Great job!

Nah, just too lazy to adjust the windage and elevation knobs. One click on each and I'm golden...

(that, and I shoot left handed... ;))

Jamie

rugerpc
12-06-2012, 03:42 PM
You tell me. This is at 100 yds, iron sights, an M1 Garand...

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2270/702387/22883001/404904581.jpg

:wave:

Jamie

The best part about shooting a Garand is what happens after the 8th shot.....

LSchefman
12-06-2012, 09:07 PM
Not to derail this thread, which has now earned the distinction of becoming the first PTC-to-rifle-skill thread that I can recall, but to return to the guitar for a moment, I think it's one heck of a fun project!

DRM_777
12-07-2012, 03:21 AM
plus he likes Chimaira so he gets a pass.

Oh I don't like Chimaira, I freakin LOVE Chimaira. I have Chimaira tattoos and my one and only trip to the USA so far has been to go to Cleveland, Oh for a Chimaira Christmas show a few years ago. That's how much I love that band. haha

slowro
12-07-2012, 08:48 AM
Oh I don't like Chimaira, I freakin LOVE Chimaira. I have Chimaira tattoos and my one and only trip to the USA so far has been to go to Cleveland, Oh for a Chimaira Christmas show a few years ago. That's how much I love that band. haha

How much did that cost roughly? thats dedication!
I want to go to the Exp PRS, if you plan to go one year noise me up

DRM_777
12-07-2012, 09:22 AM
How much did that cost roughly? thats dedication!
I want to go to the Exp PRS, if you plan to go one year noise me up

Not as much as you might think, though I only had to pay for flights and spending money last time as I went and stayed with a friend in Indiana and my flights cost about £550 flying from Aberdeen to Chicago O'hare and getting picked up by my friend there.

Was planning on going again this year and flights from Aberdeen to Cleveland with a weeks hotel 5 minutes down the street from where the CC show takes place was coming in at a bit under £1500 but I couldn't free up the cash sadly, but I'll be booking early next year to go back again.

Would love to go to a PRS Experience weekend for sure and will definitely sound out any ideas on the board nearer the time.

Albrecht Smuten
12-07-2012, 09:54 AM

Chimaira rocks! lml,

Soooo....... are we actually talking about the 14-string?

themike
01-03-2013, 08:25 AM
Phase 1 of the finish - Holy @%#!$ !!!!

http://i50.tinypic.com/16sys9.jpg

themike
01-03-2013, 08:32 AM
I cant believe its real - im so happy

http://i.imgur.com/uHGyf.gif

aduayer
01-03-2013, 08:35 AM
Phase 1 of the finish - Holy @%#!$ !!!!

http://i50.tinypic.com/16sys9.jpg

Hey Mike, that guitar on the right corner of the pic is one of the O Rappa SE's that went to auction. The guy who got it (Marcelo "Milke" Carvalho) sent to PTC.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8192/8093608080_aa949b7843.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/73286327@N07/8093608080/)
SE Tremonti (http://www.flickr.com/photos/73286327@N07/8093608080/) por aduayer (http://www.flickr.com/people/73286327@N07/), no Flickr

jfb
01-03-2013, 08:56 AM
Oh yeah! 7 Sig!

south89
01-03-2013, 09:07 AM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;32904']Honest feedback is always allowed. Whether or not it is in good taste is the question.

When a member is sharing his guitar with community you should think of it like he (or she) is making a toast. You have two options: Drink or don't drink.

Oh I'm drinking on this one :beer:. Can't wait to see more pics Mike and congrats man this is gonna be one SWEET 7

themike
01-03-2013, 12:53 PM
Hey Mike, that guitar on the right corner of the pic is one of the O Rappa SE's that went to auction. The guy who got it (Marcelo "Milke" Carvalho) sent to PTC.

Yeah I noticed it right away! Apparently they've become good friends and roomates! hahahha

http://i48.tinypic.com/15gi15.jpg

Thanks again for the photos Shawn

sergiodeblanc
01-03-2013, 12:58 PM
This gets a big one.
http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p506/sergiodeblanc/bangin_berrics1_zpsb7150622.jpg

Dirty Bob
01-03-2013, 01:10 PM
Mike it looks great! Awesome job so far guys!

MykeWright
01-03-2013, 01:31 PM
Only just spotted this Mike. That is going to be amazing and the wider 12-string neck makes a perfect base for a 7-string.

I can't tell what the colour's going to be yet, but I think I'd have gone for a goldtop with a metallic bronze back and neck with masked binding.

aduayer
01-03-2013, 02:22 PM
Yeah I noticed it right away! Apparently they've become good friends and roomates! hahahha

http://i48.tinypic.com/15gi15.jpg

Thanks again for the photos Shawn

if by any chance, they have babies, please, I want one...LOL

themike
01-03-2013, 04:19 PM
Thanks guys! Prettttttttttttttttttty excited!

Shawn, Skitchy and the guys are creating a real monster haha

themike
01-04-2013, 10:38 AM
http://i50.tinypic.com/2ug18ap.jpg

Hmmmmm, what could be going on here?

Jazzedout
01-04-2013, 10:55 AM
RH-2010 color scheme?

themike
01-04-2013, 11:03 AM
RH-2010 color scheme?

Not exactly although the RH2010 was really cool.

Fox77
01-07-2013, 11:47 AM
How cool!

Am a bit late to the party (haven't been on the forums a lot lately), but that is fantastic. Can't wait to see the end result \m/

themike
01-08-2013, 01:15 PM
Not much to report although Shawn was nice enough to snag a few different photos for the thread

http://i48.tinypic.com/2ed1roi.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/1z1snyu.jpg

hippietim
01-08-2013, 02:42 PM
Mike, you're nuts. In a good way. Very cool project!

themike
01-08-2013, 03:40 PM
Mike, you're nuts. In a good way. Very cool project!

This is the only aspect of my life where I'm crazy Tim, I promise! hahaha

Michael B
01-17-2013, 05:32 PM
Its looking awesome!!!

themike
01-17-2013, 05:58 PM
Its looking awesome!!!

Thanks man, I'm excited!

Michael B
01-18-2013, 05:59 AM
I bet you are dude...that is sick..can't wait to see it done! I'm shipping my Tremonti to Shawn today to have a re-fret and a bunch of stuff done,your thread showed,even tho I knew they were already, the PTC is TOP NOTCH!!

themike
01-18-2013, 06:46 AM
I bet you are dude...that is sick..can't wait to see it done! I'm shipping my Tremonti to Shawn today to have a re-fret and a bunch of stuff done,your thread showed,even tho I knew they were already, the PTC is TOP NOTCH!!

Glad to hear it man! Thats half the reason we post these threads - as much as I'd love to have some big secret unveil going "HOLY SH!T LOOK AT MY NGD", I'd rather show off how crazy talented they are at what they do. Plus who doesnt enjoy build photos haha

Dirty Bob
01-18-2013, 09:47 AM
I can't wait to see the final product!!!

I keep checking back hoping for an update!

Shawn@PRS
01-18-2013, 11:05 AM
I can't wait to see the final product!!!

I keep checking back hoping for an update!

Unfortunately I don't have anything new to post. The factory is in "NAMM Mode" right now and the PTC crew has been pitching in to assist Private Stock and Artist Relations to complete guitars for the show. Once the dust settles, we'll be back on track and I'll have some updated photos to post.

11top
01-18-2013, 02:38 PM
That was/is a seriously cool idea, Mike. Excited to see it, too.

jfb
01-18-2013, 03:46 PM
Can't wait to see the final results. Makes me want to hunt up a 12.

Michael B
01-19-2013, 06:24 AM
Glad to hear it man! Thats half the reason we post these threads - as much as I'd love to have some big secret unveil going "HOLY SH!T LOOK AT MY NGD", I'd rather show off how crazy talented they are at what they do. Plus who doesnt enjoy build photos haha

Thank you for sharing this with us Mike!! I love seeing this stuff all thru the process!! I actually had tons of questions when I was at the Experience last year in the neck dept. when I saw a few guitars having re-frets done. I knew mine would be needing it within the year. Having some touchups done and sealing Tremonti's signature. I hope Shawn sends me some pics during my little upgrade to DGT frets!! Can't wait for more shots of your sweet 7!!!

francric
01-19-2013, 08:39 PM
Sweet..............

altoidman
01-19-2013, 09:01 PM
Super kewl!

themike
01-20-2013, 11:53 AM
Thanks guys - I'm doing my best to keep this guitar out of mind since the factory is in NAMM mode but you guys aren't helping ;) hahah

Shawn@PRS
02-01-2013, 07:20 PM
Dude, this just came out of top coat OH-EM-GEE! This thing is a stunner! I will let The Mike post photos if he so chooses.

Mike Duncan
02-01-2013, 08:42 PM
Where is the PICTURE?!? POST IT!! NOW!

Dirty Bob
02-01-2013, 08:43 PM
Post up! Quit playin around!

Shawn@PRS
02-01-2013, 08:47 PM
I may be on an island with this one, but I think it looks amazing!

Dirty Bob
02-01-2013, 08:51 PM
Come on mike....post her up!

themike
02-01-2013, 09:04 PM
Oh sorry, you guys want photos? I had no idea......

themike
02-01-2013, 09:05 PM
http://i48.tinypic.com/6r39j6.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/zm0chk.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/10ici0n.jpg

Dirty Bob
02-01-2013, 09:16 PM
Holy Crickets!!!! That is insane!!!! Dibs.

(oh yeah...I don't play 7 strings but dibs anyway....it's only another string!!!)

i want to play that through my Rivera KR100 into my Rivera Los LoBottom 300 watt active sub!

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
02-01-2013, 10:25 PM
That looks fantastic! Can we see the headstock?

ke;46462]http://i48.tinypic.com/6r39j6.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/zm0chk.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/10ici0n.jpg

themike
02-01-2013, 10:28 PM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;46475']That looks fantastic! Can we see the headstock?

http://i47.tinypic.com/23ws4xw.jpg

Dirty Bob
02-01-2013, 10:34 PM
http://i47.tinypic.com/23ws4xw.jpg

Dude....PTC boys f****** killed it! Ridiculous! :adore:

iahawk36
02-01-2013, 10:50 PM
Awesome....just....awesome.....

fatb0y
02-02-2013, 12:34 AM
Awesome....just....awesome.....

What Andy said....

sergiodeblanc
02-02-2013, 01:07 AM
http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p506/sergiodeblanc/bangin_berrics1_zpsb7150622.jpg

Boogie
02-02-2013, 01:25 AM
That is simply crazy! :rock: Mike, if you don't melt a face off with the first power chord I'll be disappointed. ;)

VHTStark
02-02-2013, 01:53 AM
Dude.....holy eff is that awesome! I mean, I am pretty excited about this project you have going and it isn't even my guitar; I imagine you are pretty stoked!! :)

justmund
02-02-2013, 03:38 AM
Awesome to the power of rad.

Mike Duncan
02-02-2013, 04:23 AM
This is one of the coolest projects ever!!

aduayer
02-02-2013, 05:26 AM
can't get any cooler nor more bad ass.
if Premier guitar was impressed with what PTC did with their guitar....this would make them petrified
congratz!

Shawn@PRS
02-02-2013, 06:28 AM
IMHO, Skitchy is killing it with this project!

Michael B
02-02-2013, 07:34 AM
BRAVO PTC...BRAVO!! Love it!!

themike
02-02-2013, 11:07 AM
Dude.....holy eff is that awesome! I mean, I am pretty excited about this project you have going and it isn't even my guitar; I imagine you are pretty stoked!! :)

I am very stoked but at the time it hasn't hit me that this is actually my guitar. Its too amazing and hasn't sunk in yet haha

Shawn, Skitchy, Brian and the rest of PTC have created something that is out of this world and I can't believe it has ANYTHING to do with me, let alone gets to come home to me. Its a very special feeling and I'm grateful!

jfb
02-02-2013, 11:18 AM
I just about fell out of my chair. This thing is monster! Sick work PTC dudes and congrats Mike!

DISTORT6
02-02-2013, 12:56 PM
HOLY F@#$%^& S&*(!!!!
Awesome, just F'N awesome.

slowro
02-03-2013, 04:25 PM
YES
you have some great taste Mike
That is going to kill!

Texas_minor_blues
02-03-2013, 06:53 PM
Cannot wait to see this one finished :congrats:

TAJ
02-04-2013, 08:50 AM
If someone tried to describe your guitars finish to me, I would not be able to picture it very well. But after seeing these pics.......that finish is AWESOME!! That really is very unique. Congrats!!

themike
02-04-2013, 11:37 AM
If someone tried to describe your guitars finish to me, I would not be able to picture it very well. But after seeing these pics.......that finish is AWESOME!! That really is very unique. Congrats!!

Right? Im not a silver burst guy either but after talking about it with the white and thin contour burst, I was sold.

Wait until you see it with clear coat ;)

http://i45.tinypic.com/zob6fo.jpg

rugerpc
02-04-2013, 11:39 AM
drool.....

Shawn@PRS
02-04-2013, 12:17 PM
Hopefully Mike won't mind me posting up some more pics
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/gitfukintar/PRS/3Mike7-12/m4_zpsa55a4737.jpg
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/gitfukintar/PRS/3Mike7-12/m2_zps7fcc9ff3.jpg
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/gitfukintar/PRS/3Mike7-12/m1_zps402a8a5d.jpg
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/gitfukintar/PRS/3Mike7-12/m7_zps4656dc33.jpg

hippietim
02-04-2013, 12:27 PM
That's killer!

sergiodeblanc
02-04-2013, 12:36 PM
The white binding looks SOOO sharp!

QueenCityGuitars
02-04-2013, 12:41 PM
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/gitfukintar/PRS/3Mike7-12/m4_zpsa55a4737.jpg

Well, I am a Silverburst fan and I love this Whiteburst variation. I have to say...the white body binding reminds me of the Symphony of Evil, 3Mike! :evil:

DISTORT6
02-04-2013, 03:00 PM
:rock: Horns up! This just keeps getting better and better!

Dirty Bob
02-04-2013, 03:04 PM
I approve of this thread! Keeps getting better and better!

rugerpc
02-04-2013, 03:06 PM
<-- empties one drool cup and begins on another....

themike
02-04-2013, 08:15 PM
So I believe she will be on Skitchy's bench tomorrow for some assembly love!

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
02-04-2013, 08:30 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. What fun!

What do you guys have planned for pickups?
Hopefully Mike won't mind me posting up some more pics

themike
02-04-2013, 08:46 PM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;47292']I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. What fun!

What do you guys have planned for pickups?

Its a secret! Sadly though, they had to be aftermarket. Skitchy suggested we go with a blade pickup because pole pieces might not line up properly on the slightly different spacing.

hippietim
02-04-2013, 08:55 PM
Dimarzio X2N?

hippietim
02-04-2013, 08:57 PM
...or this: http://www.rainbowguitars.com/accessories/bare-knuckle-pickups/blackhawk-7-string-bridge-pickup/blackhawk7b/kn

themike
02-05-2013, 06:40 AM
You know me too well, Timmy ;)

south89
02-05-2013, 08:48 AM
I can not wait to see the finished product Mike. Are you gonna post any kind of audio or video so we can see and hear what it sounds like ?

themike
02-05-2013, 09:34 AM
I can not wait to see the finished product Mike. Are you gonna post any kind of audio or video so we can see and hear what it sounds like ?

I guess so - how does some drop tuned Smoke on the water sound?

francric
02-05-2013, 11:59 AM
That is amazing Mikey............................................. ...

Shawn@PRS
02-05-2013, 01:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9iiO-EVb-A

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/gitfukintar/PRS/3Mike7-12/mikehs_zps12847e5b.jpg

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
02-05-2013, 01:05 PM
Tease.

south89
02-05-2013, 01:46 PM
In the key of heavy :rock: and with loads of distortion:laugh:
I guess so - how does some drop tuned Smoke on the water sound?

themike
02-05-2013, 02:11 PM
WOWOWOWOWOWOOWOWOWOWOWOW http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/images/smilies/scream.gif

iahawk36
02-05-2013, 03:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9iiO-EVb-A

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/gitfukintar/PRS/3Mike7-12/mikehs_zps12847e5b.jpg

Oh BABY!

Michael B
02-05-2013, 04:55 PM
WOW....gotta find my lower jaw on the floor.......STUNNING!!!

themike
02-05-2013, 07:54 PM
THIS IS THE WORST TEASE EVER - IM NOT OK WITH IT!!!!! hahahaha

Shawn@PRS
02-05-2013, 08:54 PM
I think this is a bigger tease
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/gitfukintar/PRS/3Mike7-12/579622b1-a507-481c-a906-95c640a0a5d8_zpsbb1599ef.jpg

Boogie
02-05-2013, 09:15 PM
There's nothing I can say anymore without a tremendous amount of profanity. :o It's just...just...so...you know. :)

themike
02-08-2013, 01:01 PM
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHH MAN

http://i47.tinypic.com/2q8u884.jpg

Dirty Bob
02-08-2013, 01:03 PM
Dayummmmmm!!!! skitchy is king!

rugerpc
02-08-2013, 01:17 PM
<-- trades drool cup for a drool bucket....

Mike Duncan
02-08-2013, 01:24 PM
Wow!! What's up with the squabbin blades? WOW!!! Freshly milled bridge? This is incredible!

hippietim
Killer!

crgtr
Wow!!!

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
02-08-2013, 01:54 PM
What I love most is the fact that no one would ever know this was a mod. It looks factory original.

I suppose you could argue that it is.

John Beef
02-08-2013, 02:05 PM
While I am not surprised at the quality and attention to detail given we're talking about the PTC, I am amazed at how well this went. How is this cheaper than a Private Stock?

Shawn@PRS
02-08-2013, 02:14 PM
I haven't hit Mike with the bill yet! :evil:

He'll need to get a second job selling furniture at the Sofa King

Mike Duncan
02-08-2013, 02:26 PM
Nice use of Sofa King.....hahahaha!!!

I'm sure it was just a few bucks for the upgrades!! :laugh:

hippietim
02-08-2013, 03:57 PM

It was just a tuner, bridge, and pickup swap with a new paint job - how expensive could it be?

:laugh:

sergiodeblanc
02-08-2013, 04:02 PM
WOW! I really did not expect to be so..... I don't know... speechless? Amazing job guys!

themike
02-08-2013, 04:03 PM
How is this cheaper than a Private Stock?

Shawn's kid is super cute so I gotta try and keep him bringing home the bacon! hahah

I only asked for a set up on my beautiful, beloved 12 string - what the hell did you do?!?!?!?!?

themike
02-08-2013, 04:11 PM
http://i46.tinypic.com/1z6wegm.jpg

themike
02-08-2013, 04:11 PM
http://i45.tinypic.com/i3fo0h.jpg

Dirty Bob
02-08-2013, 04:23 PM
Wow! Great job!!!! Absolutely amazing!

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
02-08-2013, 04:47 PM
Killer.

We're going to need a video demo.

:call:

jcha008
02-08-2013, 05:00 PM
I love it! That burst is so killer!

Shawn@PRS
02-08-2013, 05:01 PM
The guitar still needs to be set up, this is just a quick string job. The nut and saddles still need to be cut.

veinbuster
02-08-2013, 05:36 PM
Amazing.

Boogie
02-08-2013, 05:38 PM
:o
Wait, Sofa King...wha?? Markie is probably in the market since he's worn out his current sofa with his latest batch of NGD pics. :D

Even for someone that doesn't have much desire or need for a 7 string will look at this and #$*! themselves. What an amazingly gorgeous guitar and a home run for PTC. What can't you guys do?

WEDGE
02-08-2013, 06:10 PM
Never ceases to amaze at what the PTC is capable of......

jfb
02-08-2013, 09:13 PM
Mike, I saw this guitar in person recently. You are going to be impressed. Very impressed. :7string:

iahawk36
02-08-2013, 09:17 PM
SICK! Just sick Mike!!!

themike
02-08-2013, 10:15 PM
Mike, I saw this guitar in person recently. You are going to be impressed. Very impressed.

Haha that rules, good to know! Were you spending some more time in the PS department?

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
02-08-2013, 10:16 PM
Haha that rules, good to know!

:rofl: You're killin' me, smalls. Just tell him.

jfb
02-08-2013, 11:01 PM
Haha that rules, good to know! Were you spending some more time in the PS department?

Guilty.

Michael B
02-09-2013, 06:06 AM
wow....it came out great!!

Shawn@PRS
02-11-2013, 09:28 AM
The waiting is the hardest part
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/gitfukintar/PRS/3Mike7-12/IMG_2316_zpsf715ad5f.jpg

themike
02-11-2013, 09:33 AM
The waiting is the hardest part

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/images/smilies/squint.gif I'm snowed in today too so its REALLY REALLY hard .

Shawn@PRS
02-11-2013, 10:04 AM
Ladies and gentleman, I present to you “The Magnificent 7”

All PTC projects are a group effort and I’d like to thank everyone who helped bring this to fruition, but first and foremost this is Skitchy’s baby. He was the mastermind behind it and the driving force in making this a reality. Well done sir, well done!

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/gitfukintar/PRS/3Mike7-12/IMG_8185_zpsf2c00d57.jpg

Buildermike
02-11-2013, 10:09 AM
Congrats to the PTC on another great innovative project. I like how Skitchy went formal for the unveiling.

hippietim
02-11-2013, 10:15 AM
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/images/smilies/squint.gif I'm snowed in today too so its REALLY REALLY hard .

Just think about Skitchy and Shawn jamming on your guitar today instead of you.

hippietim
02-11-2013, 10:16 AM

All PTC projects are a group effort and I’d like to thank everyone who helped bring this to fruition, but first and foremost this is Skitchy’s baby. He was the mastermind behind it and the driving force in making this a reality. Well done sir, well done!

AWESOME!

aduayer
02-11-2013, 10:18 AM

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/gitfukintar/PRS/3Mike7-12/IMG_8185_zpsf2c00d57.jpg
congratz to PTC, Mike and Skitchy, I just loved the tie.

themike
02-11-2013, 11:03 AM
I have butterflies in my stomach and I don't believe its real.

aduayer
02-11-2013, 11:12 AM
I have butterflies in my stomach and I don't believe its real.

well, you can start writing a song with that sentence. "I have butterflies in my stomach and I don't believe it's real".
I have a feeling that I will see you soon on the Signature Magazine once more. rock on!

themike
02-11-2013, 11:40 AM
I just want to say how amazingly lucky we are to have the PTC available to us. Going into this project a lot of people were skeptical about if it would work or not and the beauty of the PTC is that they are the best at their jobs - period. If they say it can be done, it can be done. The only thing you have to be concerned about is how you are going to occupy your time until the project is complete!

Skitchy, Shawn and everyone involved are the best. They could have played it safe and said "no, its too risky" but instead they went for it and that means the world to me. A lot of people that aren't familiar with PRS seem to have this preconceived notion that they are this giant company who just cranks out collector guitars that will sit in a glass case and that's far from the truth. You can call them right now and talk to someone. You can email them and have a response within a few hours. While they make some of the worlds most beautiful guitars, they're more than that. You can send in your old, beloved, beat to S^T$% PRS and have it cleaned up, slightly modified or even fully hotrodded. Its a fabulous thing. We come on here and are privy to some inside the factory shots and communications with Shawn, who while being very moddest and won't admit to it, is a very important part of PRS and VERY busy.

This company rules and that's all there is to say. Every team member of every department are absolutely amazing and talented people and I couldn't be happier to be a self proclaimed fanboy.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
02-11-2013, 11:41 AM
well, you can start writing a song with that sentence. "I have butterflies in my stomach and I don't believe it's real".
I have a feeling that I will see you soon on the Signature Magazine once more. rock on!

butterflies in my stomach
I don't believe it's real
got 7 things to pull my strings
and the devil cuts a deal

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
02-11-2013, 11:43 AM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35/wh1pst1ckag0st0p/Animated%20Gifs/FuturamaApplause.gif

DISTORT6
02-11-2013, 12:08 PM
:congrats::congrats::congrats:
:cheers:
:beer:
:five:

Oustanding, you guys! Congrats to you all!

sergiodeblanc
02-11-2013, 01:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcHL8efKKPE

aduayer
02-11-2013, 02:51 PM
ok... so I will get a double neck Dragon and ask PTC to make a 8 strings baritone and a mandolin, how about that?

themike
02-11-2013, 06:58 PM
ok... so I will get a double neck Dragon and ask PTC to make a 8 strings baritone and a mandolin, how about that?

Now that seems a little cost in-effective hahaha

aduayer
02-11-2013, 07:36 PM
Now that seems a little cost in-effective hahaha
after your 12/7 guitar, looks like the only challenge I can imagine for PTC right now.

Shawn@PRS
02-11-2013, 07:48 PM
We have something in the oven right now that's going to be cool. It's for a forum member, so if he's OK with it, we can start posting some progress pics soon.

Dirty Bob
02-11-2013, 11:32 PM
Amazing as always! Congrats Mike! Unreal job guys.

Steph
02-12-2013, 02:21 AM
We have something in the oven right now that's going to be cool. It's for a forum member, so if he's OK with it, we can start posting some progress pics soon.

Ok, I've read so much time lately about people having something "in the oven" at PRS, it got me wandering: What is it you guys are actually running down there in Maryland? A bakery? :flute:

TAJ
02-12-2013, 06:53 AM
Awesome! Congrats Mike and well done PTC crew! :top:

WEDGE
02-12-2013, 07:12 AM
Awesome result! Can't wait to hear your report once you get it in hand.

south89
02-12-2013, 07:16 AM
Maaaaaannnnnnnnn that is gonna be one bad MOFO. I can just amagine the good heavy tones that will be coming from that machine :rock:

Shawn@PRS
02-12-2013, 07:17 AM
Ok, I've read so much time lately about people having something "in the oven" at PRS, it got me wandering: What is it you guys are actually running down there in Maryland? A bakery? :flute:

nothin' says lovin like somethin' from the oven

themike
02-12-2013, 08:13 AM
Thanks everyone! I can't wait to get it!

aduayer
02-12-2013, 08:19 AM
I was tracking your package and seems that PTC shipped it to Brazil. No worries, I will bring it to you myself in September, ok?

themike
02-12-2013, 08:21 AM
I was tracking your package and seems that PTC shipped it to Brazil. No worries, I will bring it to you myself in September, ok?

Sounds like you're going to have an issue at Customs then because we didn't post it, but the neck was replaced with Brazilian Rosewood and painted. Ut Oh!!!!

QueenCityGuitars
02-12-2013, 08:59 AM

Wow...now that is cool. Congrats, 3Mike! :adore:

Michael B
02-13-2013, 06:02 AM
AWESOME!!!

Mike Duncan
02-13-2013, 08:45 AM
I just want to know Paul thinks of this creation! I'll bet he loves it!!

Steph
02-13-2013, 01:50 PM
nothin' says lovin like somethin' from the oven

Oh! I hear ya! Its a Love Factory... :wink:

themike
02-14-2013, 11:09 AM
The guitar arrived last night. For the sake of being honest, I am posting this one photo and no review for several days. Why, you may ask? Because PTC have spent far too much time and effort on this guitar for me to post some quick cell phone photos and a piecemeal review. This is like nothing I've ever owned before and I really need to spend the honeymoon playing it until I can downpick no more! I will also be taking some (hopefully) legit, nice photos of it soon to accompany the review.

Shawn, Skitchy and crew - you've shot this project out of our universe in every aspect. I can't thank you enough for all the time, effort and headaches you've put into it. Expect massive amounts of beer and bro hugs at Experience.

However, for proof - here she is! This guitar sounds HUGEEEEEEEEEEEEE. If this project doesn't sell you on working with PTC for your next project, you're out....of....your.....freaking..... mind!

http://i48.tinypic.com/160ap9s.jpg

John Beef
02-14-2013, 11:48 AM
The only problem with having one of these is you only have ONE OF THESE. You're most certainly going to have to do it again to have a backup.

DISTORT6
02-14-2013, 12:57 PM
When you come up for air :biggrin: , I have a few questions:

How is the string spacing at the nut and down the neck?
Tell me about that bridge. Is it a PRS one-off?
How do you like those pickups?

Okay, that's it. Tear it up and have fun! :rock:

themike
02-14-2013, 01:04 PM
The only problem with having one of these is you only have ONE OF THESE. You're most certainly going to have to do it again to have a backup.

I can promise you there will never be another one of these, at least from me. The amount of work it took for PTC is unrivaled and I'd never want to put Skitchy through it again! hahaha

When you come up for air :biggrin: , I have a few questions:

- How is the string spacing at the nut and down the neck?
- Tell me about that bridge. Is it a PRS one-off?
- How do you like those pickups?

Okay, that's it. Tear it up and have fun! :rock:

- The spacing is tighter than a normal 7, in all honesty. But after a few minutes of playing I am used to it. After a few hours of playing I can honestly tell you that I think it's making me a MORE accurate player since I have to be more aware and rely less on muscle memory.

- This isn't a PRS produced bridge, it was an aftermarket bridge that Skitchy was familiar with that would work with this project.

- LOVE them. Normally, I would take PRS over Bareknuckle anyday. I have a set of Aftermaths and they are OK, but I prefer the Tremonti set ten fold. These, however, are super impressive. The split sounds are unreal and the distortion is thick and clear without being percussive!

DISTORT6
02-14-2013, 01:48 PM
Thanks, Mike! The squared-off bridge looked PRSish.
You're going to make a lot of people crap their pants over at SS.org when you unveil this beauty there!

SuperFly53
02-17-2013, 11:04 AM
So Cool!!

Great work from the PTC, as usual!

joebalaguer
03-09-2013, 10:27 AM
WOW....just...wow.

themike
03-09-2013, 10:41 AM
WOW....just...wow.

I know - I still say the same thing everyday haha

http://oi46.tinypic.com/292o51j.jpg

joebalaguer
03-09-2013, 12:06 PM
I can only imagine how awesome that Blackhawk/PRS combination must sound. Might put a set in my SE 7 that is coming next week! :)

axe24
09-15-2013, 06:11 PM
Awsome idea,i feel ya on this projet.good luck.damm it is there anything ptc caint.as they d say best in the business.

pjdude
10-21-2013, 08:35 PM
What an amazing journey of a PTC project! Gorgeous guitar!!!!

richardlpalmer
01-28-2014, 04:54 PM
Not to indiscriminately bump old threads. But I remember back when this was just an idea being floated around. Hadn't seen this thread until recently.

Anyway, how about that in-depth review? Sound clips? More/better pics? I'm curious how its doing after a year...

QueenCityGuitars
02-06-2014, 12:14 PM
http://oi46.tinypic.com/292o51j.jpg
Great pic! :rock:

themike
02-06-2014, 02:55 PM
Not to indiscriminately bump old threads. But I remember back when this was just an idea being floated around. Hadn't seen this thread until recently.

Anyway, how about that in-depth review? Sound clips? More/better pics? I'm curious how its doing after a year...

There should be another thread floating around with a bunch of photos and review but I didn't record soundclips - might have to block out some studio time for you on that becuase this thing still kicks asssssss :)

richardlpalmer
02-11-2014, 08:44 PM
There should be another thread floating around with a bunch of photos and review but I didn't record soundclips - might have to block out some studio time for you on that becuase this thing still kicks asssssss :)

More pics than this thread? Holy cow!

Yeah, I'd love to hear some of your playing, too. Inspirational for guys like me. ;)

themike
02-12-2014, 08:23 AM
More pics than this thread? Holy cow!

Yeah, I'd love to hear some of your playing, too. Inspirational for guys like me. ;)

Haha, yeah right. I can play smoke on the water.... WHICH DOESNT EVEN USE A LOW B ;)

NGD-Paul-Reed-Smith-7-String-(Maryland-Made-!) (http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?3365-NGD-Paul-Reed-Smith-7-String-(Maryland-Made-!))

alantig
02-12-2014, 06:53 PM
Haha, yeah right. I can play smoke on the water.... WHICH DOESNT EVEN USE A LOW B ;)

Perhaps.

But with the low B, you can play Smoke Under The Water.

richardlpalmer
02-14-2014, 04:36 PM

NGD-Paul-Reed-Smith-7-String-(Maryland-Made-!) (http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?3365-NGD-Paul-Reed-Smith-7-String-(Maryland-Made-!))
Gracias!

Perhaps.

But with the low B, you can play Smoke Under The Water.

LOL!

Boogie
02-14-2014, 09:14 PM
Hey 3Mikey, is that an old Bassman in that pic? And more importantly, is that your Bassman??!! If so, I need to share some awesome settings with you. If not, it must be a Showman or Bamdmaster. After a closer look, it appears to be a Bandmaster 2x12, but if I'm wrong, I gotta share some awesome tones I'm getting out of my Bassman recently. :cool: