PDA

View Full Version : Guitar care.

Harw00d
12-11-2012, 12:55 PM
After the thread about other obsessions, and me admitting to my Car Detailing addiction it's got me thinking about guitar care again.
Now, I know the option I should be taking is the PRS care kits, But I don't have that much money.

A quick search on ebay and I have found this 'mega deal'

What can you tell me about it?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=321035718061

This one looks like a decent kit too...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190700864756?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

TIA :)

cobrafast1
12-11-2012, 04:26 PM
Well, I look at the finish on a guitar much like that of a show car. I don't want scratches or swirls in the finish. Therefore, I never use wax. Two minuses to wax. Most are abrasive and will create swirls. Second, wax will yellow in time.

I only use clear detailing spray on my cars and they are show cars. On my guitars, I use Music NOMAD Equipment Care "The Guitar ONE". It cleans the finish from finger prints and hand oil and does none of the above.

Just my 2 cents worth. I've been doing this for over 4 decades and I have success. Just my humble opinion.

newfmp3
12-12-2012, 01:38 PM
I actually kinda like the PRS kit they sent me. The Spray even makes my sticky nitro fender tele neck super smooth.

LSchefman
12-12-2012, 05:53 PM
Well, I look at the finish on a guitar much like that of a show car. I don't want scratches or swirls in the finish. Therefore, I never use wax. Two minuses to wax. Most are abrasive and will create swirls. Second, wax will yellow in time.

I only use clear detailing spray on my cars and they are show cars. On my guitars, I use Music NOMAD Equipment Care "The Guitar ONE". It cleans the finish from finger prints and hand oil and does none of the above.

Just my 2 cents worth. I've been doing this for over 4 decades and I have success. Just my humble opinion.

You and I think alike. I don't use wax, or abrasives. I used to judge show cars back in the 80s...was also fairly car obsessed. I use the PRS cleaner, it sounds quite similar to the nomad stuff.

Mostly I just use a damp microfiber cloth to wipe down, and a clean dry one to dry. No swirls.

Jedi
12-13-2012, 01:57 AM
Damn...I wipe my guitar down with a cloth and some polish/cleaner and move on to the next gig. These are instruments...let's play them and put wear on them by years of use.....Such obsession with detailing a guitar...not the same as a classic car.

LindseyP
12-13-2012, 02:43 AM
Damn...I wipe my guitar down with a cloth and some polish/cleaner and move on to the next gig. These are instruments...let's play them and put wear on them by years of use.....Such obsession with detailing a guitar...not the same as a classic car.

Normally, for me, ^this^ for guitars in the house. I also keep some in storage so those get a rubdown with Dunlop 65.

CoreyT
12-13-2012, 03:13 AM
I use to use the Gibson Pump Polish when I got my SG last May.
Then I read up on the Virtuoso Polish and Cleaner (http://www.virtuosopolish.com/), and use the Polish on all of my guitars when I first get them.

They only need the polish maybe twice a year, and I would not need to use the cleaner since my guitars are only played in my home right now.

I do wipe down the guitars with a 100% cotton Planet Waves cloth with nothing on it when it is time to put the guitars back in the cases.
I take them out during the weekend only and hang them on the wall.

LSchefman
12-13-2012, 08:27 AM

My "show car" that was kept immaculate was a BMW 633 CSi, with Hartge (a German tuner) upgrades designed for the track. I raced it at Mid-Ohio, Waterford, and other tracks around the midwest, drove it on the street, and showed it at concours events. These things don't have to be mutually exclusive. If a person enjoys detailing, what's wrong with that?

I use my guitars professionally, and enjoy keeping them looking great. It's a zen thing for me, something I do when I have a moment or two free.

Of course play them. And why not detail them? There's not a darn thing wrong with doing both! One doesn't exclude the other unless you want it to.

garrett
12-13-2012, 09:09 PM

This is me. Minus the polish/cleaner. They all look great to my eyes. Can't see most of the blemishes unless you're a foot away. Except for my nitro-finished Tele-style guitar. Look at that finish wrong and it chips and cracks. But that's the kind of vibe I was going for on that one, anyway.