PDA

View Full Version : Worst Custom 24 Fake Ever!

slang05
12-14-2012, 10:16 AM
http://fayar.craigslist.org/msg/3476583355.html

I mean seriously..it's so bad. Things like this really upset me. There are a lot of fakes in the Fayetteville area for some reason too. But I hope the guy selling this isn't someone who actually believes he owns a real PRS..

Blackbird
12-14-2012, 10:25 AM
Yeah that's pretty bad, first one I've seen in Fayetteville/NWA though. Usually fake LP's or Strats.
Hopefully nobody gets shafted on that one.

themike
12-14-2012, 10:45 AM
I dont get it. If you really want to make fake guitars, how abouting buying one and copying the asthetics PROPERLY! I mean these people didn't even try - just by LOOKING at a photo you can tell the horns on the headstock aren't the same haha

slang05
12-14-2012, 12:15 PM
I dont get it. If you really want to make fake guitars, how abouting buying one and copying the asthetics PROPERLY! I mean these people didn't even try - just by LOOKING at a photo you can tell the horns on the headstock aren't the same haha

I know! Does he seriously think that somebody who would spend $1700 on a guitar wouldn't at least google PRS and see the difference? That guitar wouldn't even be a good copy of an SE!

Harker1440
12-14-2012, 12:16 PM
The back plates alone give it away

andy474x
12-14-2012, 03:29 PM
The back plates alone give it away

That's actually real, PRS was experimenting with a banana storage compartment for a while. Just in case you need a snack at the gig.

sergiodeblanc
12-14-2012, 04:05 PM
That's actually real, PRS was experimenting with a banana storage compartment for a while. Just in case you need a snack at the gig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sRhm3SsdHM

slang05
12-14-2012, 04:07 PM

What a great idea! Seriously, how many times during the middle of a gig have you thought "man I wish I had a banana stored inside my $3000 guitar!" Lol

LSchefman
12-14-2012, 04:26 PM
What a great idea! Seriously, how many times during the middle of a gig have you thought "man I wish I had a banana stored inside my $3000 guitar!" Lol

Especially when you can keep several bananas in your amp's cabinet.

Artist
12-14-2012, 04:37 PM
I couldn't believe it when I saw the headstock. They tried hard using SE tuners.
http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/8960/funnyheadstock.jpg

Mikegarveyblues
12-14-2012, 04:53 PM
Hasn't this very guitar come up in another thread in the past... or am I imagining it?

andy474x
12-14-2012, 06:34 PM
Especially when you can keep several bananas in your amp's cabinet.

Haha, good point Les... now we know why PRS got into amps!

Artist
12-14-2012, 06:53 PM
Actually this is a strange case. I sent a nastygram to the person but got a different response than what is usual from heartless scammers. This person claims it was sold to him from a reputable us gear store some years ago. He apparently going back to them to see how they sold him this.

He also seems very sorry and apologetic and took it down. Feel bad for him and all those who get scammed. I don't see it anymore if searching.

LSchefman
12-14-2012, 08:13 PM
Haha, good point Les... now we know why PRS got into amps!

Absolutely. Plus if you put them in the head cabinet, bananas flambé.

slang05
12-14-2012, 09:10 PM
Banana amps! Brilliant!

You know, what if this guy really did buy it for $2000, loves the guitar, and decided to sell it because he hit hard times..and now we tell him it's a fake! Yikes! Worst day ever.

You know, I don't like the Craigslist police . You know, the guys who say don't buy that guitar cause it's not a deal..etc..but I had to post something about this guitar. As a PRS lover, and owner..pisses me off to see..glad this one is off the market for now.

Lula13
12-16-2012, 07:09 PM
Hey- this is the owners sister. We are having a hard time proving to the shop owner that this is a fake. He doesn't believe it at all. Any advice? Or can we email someone with more pictures? Help us get his money back from this dude!!

sergiodeblanc
12-16-2012, 07:31 PM
Hey- this is the owners sister. We are having a hard time proving to the shop owner that this is a fake. He doesn't believe it at all. Any advice? Or can we email someone with more pictures? Help us get his money back from this dude!!

Wow Lula, I'm really sorry this happened to your brother. It is such a glaringly obvious fake to me as fetishist that I don't know what to advise besides calling the cops and issuing them any stock photo of a real PRS. As much as we all laugh at copy guitars, it is a horrible feeling to know someone got duped.

AP515
12-16-2012, 07:36 PM

Show him (and the cops if necessary), this thread.

Poffypoffa
12-16-2012, 08:20 PM
I suspect if you email PRS with photos and a serial number, they can confirm.

Blackbird
12-16-2012, 08:44 PM
Hey Lula, the ad said you were in Eureka. What shop did you buy the guitar from?

Lula13
12-16-2012, 09:23 PM
Hey Lula, the ad said you were in Eureka. What shop did you buy the guitar from?

I really don't want to blast the place, yet, because he might also think that it's a real PRS. We're giving him the benefit of the doubt right now as we try to secure a refund, which the guy is hesitant about.

slang05
12-16-2012, 09:56 PM
I really don't want to blast the place, yet, because he might also think that it's a real PRS. We're giving him the benefit of the doubt right now as we try to secure a refund, which the guy is hesitant about.

If it gets to the point where he won't help call PRS customer service. I'm sure they would like to eliminate things of this nature. You could buy the PRS book off the Internet and show that to him or, since I'm in Springfield, I'll drive down and show him a real PRS. Sorry all this is happening to your brother. If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.

Lula13
12-16-2012, 10:05 PM
If it gets to the point where he won't help call PRS customer service. I'm sure they would like to eliminate things of this nature. You could buy the PRS book off the Internet and show that to him or, since I'm in Springfield, I'll drive down and show him a real PRS. Sorry all this is happening to your brother. If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.

Thanks for the help, we both REALLY appreciate it. Just for curiosity sake, we'll post what happens tomorrow!
Really, thanks (:

Artist
12-16-2012, 10:05 PM
Just what I thought would happen. Since this was an actual store you should have more chances of getting your money back than if were some random person online. I would advise to take it slow and try to work things out with them first. If this is a small store there may still be a chance that the owner thought it was real too.

The first thing you should do is Email PRS customer service at: custserv@prsguitars.com and call their number 410-643-9970. Send them pictures of the guitar just like you had on the add including the one showing the serial number. They should be able to quickly verify that it is not a real PRS. If the store in question has an email, copy him in the email and request PRS to send the response to both. They may be even able to provide you some written statement or point you to the local PRS Dealer too if needed.

Can't beat the actual company identifying it. If the store owner is honest this should be more than enough.

If you still have their receipt hang on to it. If he is still denying to give you the refund, let him know that you are working with the PRS comunity online where this case has gained some visibility and threaten to let everybody know what store they are, including the local Eureka community. In this digital age it is very hard for a business to survive bad online PR.

If they still don't care then you should just take the case with your local authorities.

slang05
12-16-2012, 10:33 PM
Part of the problem here is, knowing the area, is that it's probably a small store. A $2000 guitar probably feed his family and made a real difference to his bottom line. Yes, he needs to do the honest thing, but it may be very hard for him to do so! Again, I'm just assuming, if it's Eureka Springs area, I've never seen a music store there.

Artist
12-16-2012, 10:36 PM
You can also print and point him at this site: http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/models.html

If yours is a normal Custom 24 then it should have Phase II Locking tuners, but I remember the ones in yours are regular tuners:

"CUSTOM: 1985 - Current. The definitive original PRS, figured maple top, 10 top option from ’87, mahogany back and neck, volume, sweet switch and 5 way rotary offered until 1991, Brazilian rosewood fretboard until 1991, PRS Tremolo and cam-style locking tuners, stoptail offered from 1993 (or so) - 2001, Phase II tuners form 2002."

Phase II tuners look like this
http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/tuners/lock_1.jpg
http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/tuners.html

PRS confused
12-17-2012, 10:00 PM
Hello, this is the man that sold the PRS in Eureka. I just wanted to give my side of the story. I am NOT refusing to give him his money back. The whole story is....that I bought the guitar from Guitar Center in about 2004 and have picture's of my band back then to prove it. Nobody ever said anything to me for the whole eight years about it being fake. Then I sold it for a lot less than the guy on Craigslist was wanting. $900 and an old acoustic for trade in. I sold it "used" "as is". This was almost a year ago. Then he comes walking in and says a guy in Kansas City told him it was a fake. He said he needed money and wanted his money back. I called PRS and they said that the serial numbers WERE correct. The guy at PRS told me it was a "Musicians friend exclusive" and gave me the email addresse custserv@prs.com. I emailed him pics. I have not yet heard back. He did tell me that they had no record of fakes before 2007. I am NOT a PRS expert at all, but as a business owner I do not want to be ripped off either. It has been almost a year and it was sold "used as is" I have offered him half his money back which would mean he would have $450 in the guitar or I told him I would trade him a 1995 gibson flying V for it. The law is....It is unlawful to manufacture or knowingly sell a counterfit guitar. I want to do him right but nobdy has even proven to me that its wrong yet. This whole ordeal has lasted now a little over 24 hours he came in at @2pm on Sunday. Oh also, the guy at Little rock guitar center said it was not a fake by the way. For every person I have found that said it was fake, I have found one that said it wasn't. He just walked in my store with no proof wanting money after almost a year. Store owners can be just as much victims as customers.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
12-17-2012, 10:08 PM
http://talk.electricianforum.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/popcorn.gif

Blackbird
12-17-2012, 10:09 PM
That's odd.
What is your music store in Eureka Springs? Just curious, I live in Fayetteville, always looking for new places to check out gear.

Does anyone still have the pics of that guitar, other than the headstock on page 1?

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
12-17-2012, 10:10 PM
Can we see some photos of the guitar, please. It will be pretty easy to tell you if it's real or fake.

slang05
12-17-2012, 10:29 PM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;35490']Can we see some photos of the guitar, please. It will be pretty easy to tell you if it's real or fake.

I'm sorry, I should've taken the photos from the craigslist ad when I spotted it, but I assure you it doesn't resemble a PRS at all! Instead of listing the things that were wrong with the guitar, let me list the things that made it similar to a PRS..it had guitar strings on it..

Ok, so Mr. Confused..feels like a lot of holes in your story. 1st off, PRS, that I know of, has never done a USA exclusive for Musicians Friend..maybe with the SE line, but not the USA line. And serial numbers can be faked also. Look at several PRS guitars online and look at the seriel numbers on the back of the headstock. It's not even the same handwriting style.

Look, I don't want to argue with you are cause you maybe a victim too.. But if you own a music store and sell guitars then I find it very hard to believe that you can't spot a fake..especially one so obvious. I live in Springfield, only and hour from you. You want to meet, I'll show you in person what a real PRS looks like and point out several differences between the two. I am by no means a PRS expert, but I have owned about 30 over the years and currently have 2. I can bring you previous catalogs, and the PRS book.

Personally, I know you can be a victim as much as a buyer. I get that. But you are on the PRS forum. A place where PRS lovers chit chat about a guitar they love. Post pictures of the guitar on here, if one senior member says it's real, we'll back off. Ask ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! © he knows PRS guitars very well. Feel free to message me and I'll give you my number and talk to you about it if you wish.

If you truly are an honest person and want to do the right thing, let us help you. Post some pics

slang05
12-17-2012, 10:35 PM
. For every person I have found that said it was fake, I have found one that said it wasn't.

BTW, trust me when I tell you, no one has EVER confused a real PRS with a fake PRS guitar. Some people maybe less educated on them, but it does not take a trained eye to see the quality of a PRS guitar.

Please, post some pics and you will get your answer. We only want to help. I'm the one that started this thread, I am the person who informed your customer that he was taken. I am not perfect, I might have made a mistake. I hopw I did. Let the guys on here who own more than I do and have experience at the PRS factory help you

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
12-17-2012, 10:37 PM
1st off, PRS, that I know of, has never done a USA exclusive for Musicians Friend..maybe with the SE line, but not the USA line.
Slow down a little my brother. The DC22 was a Musician's Friend guitar. Still, we need to see pics and we'll put this to bed ASAP.

Until we see pics and both sides agree we're looking at the same guitar, this is all just entertainment. I don't get the impression that the seller is out to screw anyone. Let's see how he responds after we see pics.

slang05
12-17-2012, 10:45 PM
Sorry, I got all excited..you know that happens to me! I do have pics though..the guitar is relisted...
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8356/8282444783_e55453d82c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8198/8282444661_13a82fc7ed_z.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8485/8283502132_1aa9bbf4fb.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8221/8282444743_f51ef23c33.jpg

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
12-17-2012, 10:48 PM
No question about it. That guitar is a fake.

Blackbird
12-17-2012, 10:49 PM
Yeah, and that picture set is missing the back of the headstock picture, which was the most telling. It looked like it was written by a child, or myself.

slang05
12-17-2012, 10:52 PM
http://images.craigslist.org/3M83o63Ne5G45J95M8ccda5bc0c5a7ead1f37.jpg

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
12-17-2012, 10:53 PM
Perhaps the person who made it copied the serial number of a similar guitar posted in an online auction or a guitar forum.

Hey! Check out the volute.

slang05
12-17-2012, 10:54 PM
Sorry guys, didn't mean to get all emotional! lol But this kinda thing really irks me.

BTW, I don't think it is relisted....but the link I posted works

Shawn@PRS
12-17-2012, 10:54 PM
Sorry, I got all excited..you know that happens to me! I do have pics though..the guitar is relisted...
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8356/8282444783_e55453d82c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8198/8282444661_13a82fc7ed_z.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8485/8283502132_1aa9bbf4fb.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8221/8282444743_f51ef23c33.jpg

The guitar shown in these photos is NOT a genuine PRS guitar. It is a fake.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
12-17-2012, 10:57 PM
Sorry guys, didn't mean to get all emotional! lol But this kinda thing really irks me.

BTW, I don't think it is relisted....but the link I posted works
As long as the fakes keep looking this bad, we'll be alright. :)

slang05
12-17-2012, 10:59 PM
Thanks Shawn!

slang05
12-17-2012, 11:01 PM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;35504']As long as the fakes keep looking this bad, we'll be alright. :)

No kidding, I have never worried about buying a fake PRS off Craigslist. I don't think it would be cost effective for a scammer to make a good fake.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
12-17-2012, 11:02 PM
That guitar is a fake. As far as I know, PRS has NEVER used a volute in the neck.
Or made a guitar that shape, with a neck that isn't centered, with a bridge like that, with a headstock that shape, or a banana backplate, or a rectan... oh nevermind.

I dub this guitar "El Plátano Azul".

http://www.myfourthirds.com/files/0412/_1051839b.jpg

Blackbird
12-17-2012, 11:06 PM
:rofl:

slang05
12-17-2012, 11:07 PM
Hilarious! I had to google volute! lol

Master Roshi
12-17-2012, 11:46 PM
Squirt

Master Roshi
12-17-2012, 11:52 PM
Ok... Im the owner of this sad piece. I traded him my 74' Alvarez acoustic and paid 950$. I don't think a full refund should be out of the question right?

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
12-18-2012, 12:07 AM
Squirt
:dontknow:

slang05
12-18-2012, 12:08 AM
Ok... Im the owner of this sad piece. I traded him my 74' Alvarez acoustic and paid 950$. I don't think a full refund should be out of the question right?

Personally I don't believe so. He keeps referring to it being sold "as is" but I don't think that would qualify on a forgery. If he comes back to this thread he'll see Shawn from PRS said it was not a real PRS either. I don't believe his case of ignorance would hold up in a court of law, but I'm no lawyer either. His claims of buying that guitar at a Guitar Center, to me, are laughable. I don't like Guitar Center, but they do know their stuff. That would never would have been taken in on a trade or bought into the store and if it somehow did make it to the floor, it would've been caught by someone. That guitar could not hang on a wall next to a real PRS and be confused with a real one.

Honestly, if it were me. I would demand a full refund or another item of equal value. If he refuses I would sue.

But like I said before, if he is an honest business man he would see this thread and be calling you. No small business would want the reputation of selling forgeries. He would be out of business in no time.

But with all that said, I am no lawyer, I do not know if you have any power other than negative word of mouth. It has been a year also. I don't know legally if you have any rights. My gut is that you do (since it was sold under false pretense) but I don't know that for a fact. I can see way more negative things for him if this went to the next level than it would for you.

You also don't need to worry if it is real and if you are going to be proven wrong. It's a fake.

I also feel sorry for him. He is being feed a lot of information. He just may need some time to digest it. From working in small music stores, refunding $950 could really hurt. Maybe offer a payment plan or something.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
12-18-2012, 12:10 AM
I'm curious to see if the photos he claims to have match "El Plátano Azul".

slang05
12-18-2012, 12:13 AM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;35530']I'm curious to see if the photos he claims to have match "El Plátano Azul".

Exactly. I am too. Wow..what a tricky situation.

Master Roshi
12-18-2012, 12:14 AM
Thanks for the help man. I'm being so calm and understanding with him because he is a good guy that I feel will do the right thing. I worked really hard to save up to get a nice guitar, then I get a fake... I'm just so stressed out right now.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
12-18-2012, 12:17 AM
So are we going to hear from the seller? Is this the guitar you sold him?

slang05
12-18-2012, 12:19 AM
Thanks for the help man. I'm being so calm and understanding with him because he is a good guy that I feel will do the right thing. I worked really hard to save up to get a nice guitar, then I get a fake... I'm just so stressed out right now.

I'm sorry man. When I started this thread I thought the worst of you (since you posted it) and I apologize. It's tough to save money and then basically lose it. I'm glad to hear that you think he'll do the right thing. Just keep in mind what I said about him being a small business owner and money can be tight. I bet if you work with him, knowing he was taken too, everything will work out

slang05
12-18-2012, 12:20 AM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;35534']So are we going to hear from the seller? Is this the guitar you sold him?

Master Roshi bought the guitar from PRS Confused who owns a small guitar store in Arkansas

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
12-18-2012, 12:24 AM
Master Roshi bought the guitar from PRS Confused who owns a small guitar store in Arkansas
I understand. I want to know when "PRS confused" is going to tell us if this is the guitar he sold to Master Roshi. Furthermore, I think PRS confused should post the photos he took when he owned it.

sergiodeblanc
12-18-2012, 12:25 AM
Squirt

????

Master Roshi
12-18-2012, 12:27 AM
????

Lol, it wouldn't let me post anything and that was my first successful try...

Master Roshi
12-18-2012, 12:30 AM
It is the same guitar that he owned. He showed me a pic of him with it a few years ago, literally the only difference is that he changed the pickups and switched out the rotary toggle with a 3-way

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
12-18-2012, 12:35 AM
With all due respect, I think he should speak for himself.

slang05
12-18-2012, 12:35 AM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;35537']I understand. I want to know when "PRS confused" is going to tell us if this is the guitar he sold to Master Roshi. Furthermore, I think PRS confused should post the photos he took when he owned it.

Yeah, i agree. I thought you were confused on who did what! Sorry.

I would like to see those pictures too unless he says it's the same guitar.

I always assumed forgeries would be sold once and then be out of circulation. I never imagined a fake being sold, played for years in bands, and then resold again! I guess I always assumed the victim (and there are 2 here!) would never be able to resell it.

slang05
12-18-2012, 12:38 AM
This could get real tricky if he says its not the same guitar.

Mister Roshi..the pics I posted are the guitar that you own that you purchased from the store, right?

Master Roshi
12-18-2012, 12:38 AM
Yes sir

PRS confused
12-18-2012, 12:39 AM
Like I said before, I am willing to try and work with him. My issue is the time. If it was so bad then why hadn't someone pointed it out a long time ago. I am not giving a full refund this far down the road. I would be willing to give a trade or trade and money or something but I am not taking full responsibilty on a ten year old guitar that was bought used and fully inspected before purchase. I do not feel that is unreasonable. My attorney has informed me that it is a civil matter and to act on it for either side would cost more than what a new PRS costs. Not to mention a year in court. I am going to end up going into defense mode and fighting this solely based on the "as is" clause and the time if I take much more of a beating over something I didnt mean to do.

PRS confused
12-18-2012, 12:41 AM
How do I post a picture? also the pic I have it had the original 5 way switch and the orignal dragon pickups in it.

slang05
12-18-2012, 12:42 AM
Did you sell this guitar as a PRS guitar or as a forgery of a PRS guitar? And you sold it to him out of your store right?

slang05
12-18-2012, 12:42 AM
How do I post a picture?

Have to upload it to flickr and then copy the image URL

PRS confused
12-18-2012, 12:43 AM
ok

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
12-18-2012, 12:44 AM
How do I post a picture? also the pic I have it had the original 5 way switch and the orignal dragon pickups in it.
Send me the pics. I'll upload them for you. I'll email you so you have my address.

slang05
12-18-2012, 12:44 AM
Like I said before, I am willing to try and work with him. My issue is the time. If it was so bad then why hadn't someone pointed it out a long time ago. I am not giving a full refund this far down the road. I would be willing to give a trade or trade and money or something but I am not taking full responsibilty on a ten year old guitar that was bought used and fully inspected before purchase. I do not feel that is unreasonable. My attorney has informed me that it is a civil matter and to act on it for either side would cost more than what a new PRS costs. Not to mention a year in court. I am going to end up going into defense mode and fighting this solely based on the "as is" clause and the time if I take much more of a beating over something I didnt mean to do.

Did you sell this guitar as a PRS guitar or as a forgery of a PRS guitar? And you sold it to him out of your store right?

PRS confused
12-18-2012, 12:48 AM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chademmert/8282670117/in/photostream

PRS confused
12-18-2012, 12:51 AM
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8354/8282670117_7c31579cbf_m.jpg

sergiodeblanc
12-18-2012, 12:51 AM
My issue is the time.

Statute of limitations for fraud/deceit in Arkansas is three years.http://www.expertlaw.com/library/limitations_by_state/Arkansas.html

Somebody wake Les up.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
12-18-2012, 12:58 AM
It sure looks like the same guitar.

In my opinion, Master Roshi has a valid complaint.

It sure would restore some faith in humanity if you guys could work it out without it getting ugly.

slang05
12-18-2012, 01:02 AM
Statute of limitations for fraud/deceit in Arkansas is three years.http://www.expertlaw.com/library/limitations_by_state/Arkansas.html

Somebody wake Les up.

I think this would fall under Fraud..3 years

slang05
12-18-2012, 01:05 AM

That doesn't really prove anything. Personally, I don't think a picture of you playing that guitar years ago is relative. You own a store, you sold a forgery..a year ago. I don't know why no one ever told you it was a fake. Most bar patrons wouldn't know. Hell, if I saw you playing I wouldn't have told you. I would've just got a laugh out of it. I'm positive you wouldn't have sold it if you would've known.

From working in many music stores the "as is" clause is for used gear and it's condition, not if its a forgery.

I'm not trying to attack you, I realize this is a delicate situation. you were taken too. Someone stole your money when they sold you this guitar. But I know morally, for me, I would honor what I sell out of any store I own. I would take responsibility for my inventory.

But all I'm doing is preaching, this is just a forum. You two have to work it out. I don't think it's unreasonable to offer a partial refund, it has been a year. I'm sorry that as a seller you are in this position, no one likes to have their honesty and integrity attacked. I hope you don't feel that I am doing that to you, not my intentions. I don't believe anyone on here is doing that.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
12-18-2012, 01:06 AM
Ok fellas, I think the facts are all on the table now. Let's let these guys figure out what they're going to do - as well as the legalities around the decisions they make.

I don't want the owners of this forum to end up involved in a court battle.

slang05
12-18-2012, 01:08 AM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;35564']Ok fellas, I think the facts are all on the table now. Let's let these guys figure out the legalities. I don't want the owners of this forum to end up involved in a court battle.

You are right..Best of luck to both of you. I think a reasonable compromise can be made.

PRS confused
12-18-2012, 01:10 AM
I'm trying to work it out. I only have so much money and some trade. Other than that I will be forced to fight it in court. Maybe it isn't the same guitar? Never really thought about it that way until you guys. Thanks. They do kinda look different.

sergiodeblanc
12-18-2012, 01:11 AM
Good luck guys.

PRS confused
12-18-2012, 01:13 AM
I am a very small store that just opened. He was my first customer. I want to make this right but can only do so much. I will be forced to let it work out in court and wait if I cant get it worked out. I have offered him as much money as I can. The rest would have to be in gear.

slang05
12-18-2012, 01:14 AM
I'm trying to work it out. I only have so much money and some trade. Other than that I will be forced to fight it in court. Maybe it isn't the same guitar? Never really thought about it that way until you guys. Thanks. They do kinda look different.

Didn't you offer $450 and a Gibson Flying V?

Master Roshi
12-18-2012, 01:20 AM
I am a very small store that just opened. He was my first customer. I want to make this right but can only do so much. I will be forced to let it work out in court and wait if I cant get it worked out. I have offered him as much money as I can. The rest would have to be in gear.

Chad, you know I'm willing to work with you on this. When you called me earlier with that deal I said that sounded good and to call me back. You're a good guy and I have in no way tried to tarnish your name or your store and I'm sure we can talk for a bit and come to an agreement. Give me a call tomorrow please.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
12-18-2012, 01:20 AM
I think it would be a real shame if you tried to wiggle out of the fact that you sold a fake PRS on that argument. It's clear that it's the same fake.

Anyway, I'll unlock this thread again in the morning when one of the mods is online to keep tabs. Between now and then, I'll maintain some hope that you do the right thing.

:goodnight:

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
12-18-2012, 10:20 AM
Ok. Thread re-opened, as promised.

If I hear any more legal chatter (from anyone), I'm locking the thread for good. We aren't here to replace the legal system.

themike
12-18-2012, 10:27 AM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;35626']Ok. Thread re-opened, as promised.

If I hear any more legal chatter (from anyone), I'm locking the thread for good. We aren't here to replace the legal system.

I dont think it this is really the place for it to be publically discussed anyway but here are my two cents:

The seller, who operates a business, sold an item that was clearly a copy of a trademarked item and advertised it as legit. I dont think he is a bad guy, did it on purpose, or even knew it himself, but at the end of the day it really doesnt matter and it is what it is. The item was sold, is not what it was advertised as, and should be reversed like any other establishment would. Proper customer service is the best way to build a clientele for a new venture anyway.

Harker1440
12-18-2012, 10:42 AM
I dont think it this is really the place for it to be publically discussed anyway but here are my two cents:

The seller, who operates a business, sold an item that was clearly a copy of a trademarked item and advertised it as legit. I dont think he is a bad guy, did it on purpose, or even knew it himself, but at the end of the day it really doesnt matter and it is what it is. The item was sold, is not what it was advertised as, and should be reversed like any other establishment would. Proper customer service is the best way to build a clientele for a new venture anyway.
Then based on this logic should the original owner take it back to GC and expect them to do the right thing as well?

rugerpc
12-18-2012, 10:42 AM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;35626']Ok. Thread re-opened, as promised.

There really isn't anything more to add.

Once it became an open conversation between the actual seller and the actual buyer in this forum I think it was out of hand. I know that if I had a problem with a patient, I sure as Hell would not be discussing it in an open forum even if that forum was related to my business or industry.

Pictures of the guitar are useful and instructive to this forum in that we all need to know how to spot a fake - the conversation between the buyer and seller are not. If it was my call, I'd delete all posts not directly concerned with the authenticity of the guitar. The rest is not our business.

Blackbird
12-18-2012, 10:50 AM
Squirt

Master Roshi
12-18-2012, 10:54 AM
Squirt

I completely agree with blackbird.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
12-18-2012, 11:24 AM
So, Master Roshi, which PRS model would you most like to have?

http://prsguitars.com/products/

The Custom 24 SE would be a notable upgrade for a few hundred less than you paid for the fake. You can even get on in the same color.

http://www.sweetwater.com/images/items/1800/SECust24WB-xlarge.jpg

Master Roshi
12-18-2012, 11:33 AM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;35648']So, Master Roshi, which PRS model would you most like to have?

http://prsguitars.com/products/

The Custom 24 SE would be a notable upgrade for a few hundred less than you paid for the fake. You can even get on in the same color.

http://www.sweetwater.com/images/items/1800/SECust24WB-xlarge.jpg

As much as I would love to own any model, I can barely afford to eat at the moment... so it might be a while :)

themike
12-18-2012, 11:40 AM
Then based on this logic should the original owner take it back to GC and expect them to do the right thing as well?

I just reread the whole thread and didn't realize it was a year ago and that he also sold it privately via craigslist and not through his store. I think time is the enemy here and hopefully a deal can be reached privately.

Master Roshi
12-18-2012, 11:42 AM
I just reread the whole thread and didn't realize it was a year ago and that he also sold it privately via craigslist and not through his store. I think time is the enemy here and hopefully a deal can be reached privately.

He bought it from guitar center and I bought it from his store.

slang05
12-18-2012, 01:32 PM
There really isn't anything more to add.

Once it became an open conversation between the actual seller and the actual buyer in this forum I think it was out of hand. I know that if I had a problem with a patient, I sure as Hell would not be discussing it in an open forum even if that forum was related to my business or industry.

Pictures of the guitar are useful and instructive to this forum in that we all need to know how to spot a fake - the conversation between the buyer and seller are not. If it was my call, I'd delete all posts not directly concerned with the authenticity of the guitar. The rest is not our business.

I think I agree. Last night I was all on my high horse about the store owner doing the right thing and may have taken sides inadvertently. This thread, started by me, was only meant as a laugh at a bad fake, not as a call to judgement on either party. It's entirely possible that a bad fake got passed around. It really sucks for both of them. I'm glad we got involved to lend our knowledge of PRS guitars, but anything pass that may be inappropriate. I apologize if anything I said was inappropriate.

Bottom line is they are both showing that they want to work it out and are not treating this like a victim and a perpetrator, but as 2 people working together to find a mutually beneficial agreement. I applaud both of you for that. It would be much easier to yell and scream at each other and play the blame game. So from me, thank you to both of you for your thoughts and comments and showing me some holiday spirit!

In closing I would like to say SQUIRT

Artist
12-18-2012, 04:56 PM
I'm glad to see both working on it and yes, should be continued in private.

Roshi, hope you get out of this hard phase soon. Once everything is back to normal just remember that if you liked that copy you will Love an actual PRS or PRS SE. This community will be here to help you decide.

These trades happen more often than we think. If this is the case with a PRS that is so easy to spot, I can't imagine how may fake "Fenders" or "Gibbies" trade hands every day.