PDA

View Full Version : Gibson sure does like PRS finishes...

Brad737
12-21-2012, 02:59 PM
I realize that PRS has taken a lot of inspiration from Gibson, but mostly in the form of construction techniques from Ted McCarty. It appears Gibson is returning the favor by copying PRS finishes.

I saw this "Faded Denim" a few months ago.

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s592/PRSGuitars/FBJ.jpg

And here's the latest...I was surprised they didn't even bother to rename it. Gibson calls it "Red Tiger".

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s592/PRSGuitars/REDTIGER.jpg

captdg
12-21-2012, 04:14 PM
It appears that Gibson has gone the way of so many corporate entities.......let the other guy do the work.....

themike
12-21-2012, 05:28 PM
Its fine - I've come to realize people who want a PRS will get a PRS, no matter what the competition looks like.

leeasam
12-21-2012, 05:33 PM
Its fine - I've come to realize people who want a PRS will get a PRS, no matter what the competition looks like.

after owning and playing a few Gibbys over the years the only ones I would consider buying is custom shop as it is the only way IMO to get decent quality. However I can buy a production model PRS for less and still as good or better quality. with finally owning my first USA PRS I will not go back to Gibson ever. going to do something do it right the first time! PRS I am sold. I drank the Kool Aid and love it!

gush
12-22-2012, 09:33 AM
after owning and playing a few Gibbys over the years the only ones I would consider buying is custom shop as it is the only way IMO to get decent quality. However I can buy a production model PRS for less and still as good or better quality. with finally owning my first USA PRS I will not go back to Gibson ever. going to do something do it right the first time! PRS I am sold. I drank the Kool Aid and love it!

I have owned a few gibsons in the past. I always have to convince myself that I want one and when I play it for a while Im not happy with it. I still have an LP but dont gig with it. Its got good tone but the quality isnt there overall. I wont say that I refuse to buy a gibson as a drummer I know has an all natural es335 and it is very desirable. What I will say is that I own a cu22,cu24 and a mccarty and these guitars are incredible. My next guitar purchase will most likely be another prs, I would love to own a HB. The only other guitar that would be even close to the prs status is my G&L nighthawk that I purchased new in 1983. That guitar was built very well and served me well for several years, I will never sell it.

Dirty Bob
12-22-2012, 10:43 AM
I love my PRS...but at the same point I love playing guitars in general. I still kick myself for getting rid of one of my last Les Paul's.

I know this is a PRS forum but there are others here who also dig a nice R9. I wouldn't throw the ones pictured out of bed either.

Although I doubt I would buy it given many of the other choices out there I do like the look of that faded denim.

solacematt
12-22-2012, 03:25 PM

True, for years after I had to get rid of my first PRS I was playing a Gibson Les Paul DC that I felt kind of looked like the PRS that I wanted...eventually in 2010. I finally got that PRS after months of searching for it - an Emerald Green Custom 24 with trem and 5-way selector. The neck was comfortable on the LP, but the comfort didn't match the CU24 neck.
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii84/scatteredlight_matt/LPDC/DSC00932.jpg

I have owned a few gibsons in the past. I always have to convince myself that I want one and when I play it for a while Im not happy with it.

Couldn't agree more with ya. A bit too muddy, and necks just aren't as comfortable.