PDA

View Full Version : ME1 makeover

MykeWright
12-30-2012, 05:05 PM
Well I finally got to try my new pickups today. I'd never been completely happy with the RPs and the problem only got worse after putting 57/08s in my McCarty so.........I started with the 53/10s (TM) which did sound spectacular, but I think they'll be a better fit for my SCHB Std. The spare 57/08 (TM) bridge was a definite step in the right direction. Changing the neck pickup to the 59/09 (non TM) really seemed to suit the guitar and sounded great split. The final change to the 59/09 (non TM) bridge convinced me that this is the combination this guitar has been waiting for. The tapped sounds with both pickups on was quite sublime and were all the mixed and neck only settings for clean sounds. The bridge pickup is simply a great rock tone and really comes to life with a little dirt. Overall the 59/09 set balance each other out very nicely. The only regret is that during the testing I tried one full HB and one tapped (both ways round) and really liked those settings too, but I can't get them without drilling holes - which I won't do to the ME but probably will do to the SCHB.

I should also mention that I added two resistors to the coil-tap circuits but played with the values a bit, settling on 2.7k for the bridge and 2.2k for the neck. Either way the final tapped sounds are really very useful. Here's a couple of new pics.....

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f256/mykewright/Guitars/My_Guitars/PRS/P1090870.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f256/mykewright/Guitars/My_Guitars/PRS/P1090865.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f256/mykewright/Guitars/My_Guitars/PRS/P1090868.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f256/mykewright/Guitars/My_Guitars/PRS/P1090869.jpg

Dirty Bob
12-30-2012, 05:45 PM
I love covered 59/09's....they sound amazing in my Dirty 100...congrats on finding the right combo!

Shawn@PRS
12-30-2012, 05:48 PM
I have a set of covered 59/09's in my 7 year employee guitar and I love them.

cwhenke
12-30-2012, 05:54 PM
great choice on pups...even if you didn't go with the Dragons!

MykeWright
12-30-2012, 05:55 PM
I have a set of covered 59/09's in my 7 year employee guitar and I love them.With all the 5x/xx series pickups I've heard, there's some real magic in them that just brings out the musicality of the guitar. It's almost like you're listening to the inside of the note and not just the outside of it.

WEDGE
12-30-2012, 06:03 PM
I have a set of covered 59/09s waiting to go into my ME, glad to hear your happy with them.

vchizzle
12-30-2012, 08:30 PM
Nice. I love me some 59-oh-nizzles.

WEDGE
12-30-2012, 09:34 PM
I have a set of covered 59/09s waiting to go into my ME, glad to hear your happy with them.

I just soldered mine in, same non 'TM' 59/09s, and holy hell are these awesome! Can't believe how much better these are than stock. Only downside is they sound much better than my 408s.........

Buildermike
12-30-2012, 10:55 PM
Congrats on finding the right pickup. Defiantly like the covered 59's over the new uncovered squabblin version.

vim fuego
12-31-2012, 01:46 AM
Does any one know the difference between covered and uncovered 59/09's? Would uncovered 59/09's give similar results in an me??

I've got a pair floating around and I'm wondering what would be a good match.. I'm pretty happy with rp's and originally bought them for my sc..

Aeetus
12-31-2012, 04:53 AM
It's cool that you're happy with the end result. Can you tell me what you (and others please) don't like about the original pick ups, and what does TM and non TM mean? Cheers.

WEDGE
12-31-2012, 05:40 AM
Trade mark.....TM never heard definitively but that is my guess.

MykeWright
12-31-2012, 06:04 AM
Does any one know the difference between covered and uncovered 59/09's? Would uncovered 59/09's give similar results in an me??

I've got a pair floating around and I'm wondering what would be a good match.. I'm pretty happy with rp's and originally bought them for my sc..They might be a tiny bit brighter and louder, but should be pretty much the same - However, much like the original PAFs, there seems to be a lot of variance between seemingly identical pickups, although with much more tightly controlled extremes of variation in PRS' case. All the 5x/xx pickups I tried in mine were a huge improvement over the RPs IMHO - of course YMMV.

MykeWright
12-31-2012, 06:10 AM
It's cool that you're happy with the end result. Can you tell me what you (and others please) don't like about the original pick ups, and what does TM and non TM mean? Cheers.I believe WEDGE is correct - it stands for Trade Mark.

The RPs, (much like many earlier PRS pickups) always sounded hard and one-dimensional to me. Even over-driven there was always an unpleasant spikiness present in the sound. They were pretty good clean but compared to the 57/08s in my McCarty, lacked airiness and texture. I originally had a Boogie MK2c when I first got the ME and it seemed to suit it well, but that was replaced by a Bogner Duende a few years back which allows the character of the guitar to come through much more. This seemed to lift a veil off the sound and highlight the difference between good or OK pickups and great ones. Now that I've heard what great pickups in a great guitar sound like, nothing else will satisfy me. Hope that helps.

Aeetus
12-31-2012, 06:48 AM
Thanks for that clarification guys. Yeah I know what you mean about a kind of spiky or harshness that comes when I start to play a little harder, and I cannot replicate it with any of my guitars with S.D in. It's better than it was, I've lowered the pick up a little, lowered the poles a tad too but it's still there. To be fair the neck pick up isn't too bad. I'm in no rush but I guess I'll be changing mine out too soon.

Sorry for the thread de-rail, thanks for the info.

docbennett
12-31-2012, 08:00 AM
It's funny about those RP's....I have never had a problem with them in any of the ME-1's I've owned, sold or traded. Always sounded OK to my ears. I wouldn't think of swapping them out of either of the ME-1's I currently own.

But...the love/hate relationship must be strong with these pickups. There is a PRS employee model currently on Ebay that was built for "RP" himself. The guitar features employee specs including the prototype RP pickups that would later become the stock pickups for the ME-1. Anyway, long story short, the guitar has sat on eBay for several auctions and has not sold. It's a real nice guitar, so I am assuming that the "aura of the RP's" is one of the reasons for its failure to sell (It was reasonably priced for an employee guitar as well).

south89
12-31-2012, 08:16 AM
I've been curious about some covered 59/09 pups myself . Would love to try them in my Quatro

themike
12-31-2012, 08:53 AM
Beautiful!

WEDGE
12-31-2012, 09:03 AM
I've been curious about some covered 59/09 pups myself . Would love to try them in my Quatro

I had a gorgeous MEQ that I sold off because I didn't like the sound of the 53/10s, too vintage and warm, if I had dropped in 59/09s I likely would still be playing it.........

Jester
12-31-2012, 09:08 AM
Very nice top on that one

crgtr
12-31-2012, 09:12 AM
I think the 59/09's are the best pup PRS has made. Just my opinion. A set now lives in Riza & she's never sounded better. The TGS Wood Library has them & they are wonderful there too.

south89
12-31-2012, 09:30 AM
I had a gorgeous MEQ that I sold off because I didn't like the sound of the 53/10s, too vintage and warm, if I had dropped in 59/09s I likely would still be playing it.........

Thats kind of what I'm thinking. I love the way my quatro plays but just not a fan of the 53/10's

QueenCityGuitars
12-31-2012, 11:01 AM
I've never been a huge fan of the RP pickups (bridge specifically) either, Mike. I bet the 59/09s sound great. :rock:

_pete_
12-31-2012, 12:29 PM
The only regret is that during the testing I tried one full HB and one tapped (both ways round) and really liked those settings too, but I can't get them without drilling holes

Use 2 push/pull pots (one on vol and one on tone) and split each pup individually.

MykeWright
12-31-2012, 02:28 PM
Use 2 push/pull pots (one on vol and one on tone) and split each pup individually.I have considered that, but when discussing this with Ron Thorn, he said that the quality of the volume pot is the most important aspect of the on board circuitry and that he hasn't found a push-pull or push-push pot of high enough quality to use in that position, so I've tended to avoid that so far. I may try it at some point in the future as I'm not 100% happy with the volume taper and WD parts do some push-push pots that look to be fairly high quality.