PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy finish

CE-man
01-06-2013, 07:53 PM
I recently bought a used Custom that has a cloudy finish in the strap button area and on the back around the trem cavity. I'm guessing it's from sweat but I don't really know. Anyway I'm trying to find a way of getting rid of it. Can it be buffed out? How about leeching with alcohol. Help?

Dirty Bob
01-06-2013, 08:35 PM
I recently bought a used Custom that has a cloudy finish in the strap button area and on the back around the trem cavity. I'm guessing it's from sweat but I don't really know. Anyway I'm trying to find a way of getting rid of it. Can it be buffed out? How about leeching with alcohol. Help?

Sounds like the clear coat lifted...typically happens from an impact unless you are just talking about hazing from use such as the rubbing that can occur from taking a strap on or off....or another example would be pick haze.

if you take some pics and post I'm sure we can be more helpful. if it really bothers you I'm sure the PTC can fix it right up.

Jester
01-06-2013, 09:11 PM
Yeah, no easy answer there. Refinish or live with it.

It doesn't hurt the guitar.

CE-man
01-07-2013, 04:55 PM
I'll try to get some pics posted.

HANGAR18
03-04-2014, 09:09 AM
I have a 2004 PRS guitar which has a translucent red (sort or) finish over a quilted Maple top (I think it is an artist package) and there seems to be a lot of very faint, evenly distributed white cloudyness over much of the top. Also, the red is a bit dull looking and the quilt doesn't seem to pop as much as I would like. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful guitar as it is but I just think that a better job could be done. If anyone has ever had the PTC perform a refinish, would you PM me a ballpark price as to what I might expect to pay? I'd like to know if I should be expecting to pay hundreds or thousands before I make an official inquiry.