PDA

View Full Version : Brushed nickel covers - can anyone help?

Aeetus
01-11-2013, 10:21 AM
Hi folks, I was wondering if any of you have either 1 or 2 brushed nickel covers I could buy off you or if you know where I could get them from? Any help appreciated, many thanks.

Don. :beer:

themike
01-11-2013, 10:26 AM
Don - you can buy aftermarket covers here. To get them brushed look, either use steel wool or a wire wheel (usually a dremel or drill attachment).

http://www.mojotone.com/guitar-parts/pickup-covers-humbucker

Aeetus
01-11-2013, 10:55 AM
Thanks Mike, I'll check them out. Do you think I'd get a OEM look to the brushed finish by doing it myself?

markie
01-11-2013, 10:59 AM
Thanks Mike, I'll check them out. Do you think I'd get a OEM look to the brushed finish by doing it myself?

It's my understanding that there is a relatively high scrap rate of this process.......

Aeetus
01-11-2013, 11:01 AM
Markie, I'm just worried I won't get the OEM brushed finish that the RP's have in my guitar and I don't want to remove the covers on the stock pick ups.

themike
01-11-2013, 11:05 AM

I would say that the brillo pad and elbow grease would give you a comparable look to the stock ones. I've done a set myself and a former BAM member Klaus did a set that came out great.

But like Markie said incase anything goes arye I would pick up an extra 1 or 2 covers just in case. You can't really go wrong at 7 bucks each.

Aeetus
01-11-2013, 11:09 AM
That's true ref the price, I don't mind scrapping some as long as I get the right look.

nocluejimbo
01-11-2013, 12:28 PM
Get the green scotch-brite pads and move the pickup/cover along them, being sure to move parallel to the long side of the pickup. Don't use too much pressure, and go slowly. You'll have the pair done in just a few minutes.

I did it to a pair of Dimarzio 36th PAFs - they now look just like my DGT's pickups.

Aeetus
01-11-2013, 12:44 PM
Cheers Jim, it's looking like that might be the way to go.

Serious Poo
01-11-2013, 01:43 PM
Get the green scotch-brite pads and move the pickup/cover along them, being sure to move parallel to the long side of the pickup. Don't use too much pressure, and go slowly. You'll have the pair done in just a few minutes.

I did it to a pair of Dimarzio 36th PAFs - they now look just like my DGT's pickups.

Jim Wagner did exactly this to a pair of WCR pickups I bought from him. Took maybe 30 seconds, turned out perfect.

Aeetus
01-12-2013, 07:27 AM
Thanks for the help guys, I forgot I had a near new S.D nickel cover in my spares box so I got some ScotchBrite (purple which seems to be a less coarse variant) and spent about 10 minutes on it! Looks pretty good, not quite as deep as the brushed finish on the RP's but close. Once my new pick up arrives I just need to fit the gold pole screws and the cover and get the soldering station out.