PDA

View Full Version : The "Forum" Guitar

Pages : [1] 2 3

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
01-24-2013, 12:20 AM
It's been discussed before. It never really went anywhere. Too many differing opinions. But I have never been one to put my tail between my legs and run away from a good fight.

If a forum guitar was on the table, do you think this crowd could ever agree in a single design if the only options were neck carve and pickup selection? Do you think enough of us could agree on a base model? Scale length? Fret count? Fret size? Headstock shape? Color? Wood composition? Control layout? Bridge? Maple binding? No binding at all? Birds? Moons? Celtic Knots? A totally unique inlay? Bolt on neck? Glued in neck?

Would it be based on a McCarty? A semi-hollow McCarty? A CU24? A DC22 (24.5" scale)? A hollow body? Santana 2? An SC or SC Trem? Or maybe a US model loosely based on the SE One with BRW fretboards, a lipstick pup in the bridge position, and P22 Piezo? You know that would get my vote! :)

I wonder... could we get it done? Could we get 40 or 50 guys to commit the funds (up front) to give PRS a compelling reason to consider building the Official PRS Forum guitar? Would 40-50 be enough?

When I asked you guys about your concept of the Ultimate PRS, this is what I had in mind.

Go.

EDIT: Links to polls added
Headstock image: http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?4247-Headstock-Image-on-Forum-Guitar&highlight=forum+guitar
Body: http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthre...t=forum+guitar (http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?3190-The-quot-Forum-Guitar-quot-body-the-most-basic-aspect&highlight=forum+guitar)
Neck: http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthre...t=forum+guitar (http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?3004-The-neck-woods-of-the-forum-guitar&highlight=forum+guitar)
Case: http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthre...t=forum+guitar (http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?4127-Case-for-the-Forum-Guitar&highlight=forum+guitar)
Price Range: http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthre...t=forum+guitar (http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?3007-forum-guitar-price-range-what-level-is-your-cap&highlight=forum+guitar)
Pickups: http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?4235-Forum-Guitar-PUP-selection-0-01&highlight=forum+guitar
(http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?4235-Forum-Guitar-PUP-selection-0-01&highlight=forum+guitar)

sergiodeblanc
01-24-2013, 12:27 AM
I think everybody here needs a new CE.:girl:

justmund
01-24-2013, 03:43 AM
I'd like to see something unique, either the colour or inlays, apart from that I'd be willing to go with the flow.

Perhaps no BRW for us international folk :)

Twinfan
01-24-2013, 04:07 AM
Given a free reign, I don't think you'd get 50 folks agreeing to be honest - look at the diversity in the Ultimate PRS thread. Your best bet would be to try to put a unique spec together based on the best selling PRS model, whatever that is?

However if it's a Vintage Yellow 24 fret McCarty with narrow 408s, a sweet switch, a trem and a toggle switch then I'm in. That'd be unique, plus it has references to the old and the new. Offer all 3 Pattern neck profiles as the only option and you're good to go ;)

bluefade
01-24-2013, 05:19 AM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;43749']It's been discussed before. It never really went anywhere. Too many differing opinions. But I have never been one to put my tail between my legs and run away from a good fight.

If a forum guitar was on the table, do you think this crowd could ever agree in a single design if the only options were neck carve and pickup selection? Do you think enough of us could agree on a base model? Scale length? Fret count? Fret size? Headstock shape? Color? Wood composition? Control layout? Bridge? Maple binding? No binding at all? Birds? Moons? Celtic Knots? A totally unique inlay? Bolt on neck? Glued in neck?

Would it be based on a McCarty? A semi-hollow McCarty? A CU24? A DC22 (24.5" scale)? A hollow body? Santana 2? An SC or SC Trem? Or maybe a US model loosely based on the SE One with BRW fretboards, a lipstick pup in the bridge position, and P22 Piezo? You know that would get my vote! :)

I wonder... could we get it done? Could we get 40 or 50 guys to commit the funds (up front) to give PRS a compelling reason to consider building the Official PRS Forum guitar? Would 40-50 be enough?

When I asked you guys about your concept of the Ultimate PRS, this is what I had in mind.

Go.

Your question is its own answer ! Variety is the mother of disagreement !!!!!!!!!!

Jay Xander B
01-24-2013, 05:30 AM
Something i did on a previous forum (with which we DID get a custom run made quite proud) was to break it down into a series of topics and members voted on what spec they wnated so for example you'd have the "neck carve thread" and you'd vote on whether you wanted the wide thin or wide fat or whatever and the one with the most votes went through to the final production model,
just a thought but it worked on that forum where the members would get roudy if they didn't get their spec in the first thread (though strangely quite when it didn't get voted through)

veinbuster
01-24-2013, 07:53 AM
I think it would be much easier to agree on a special run guitar 50 people would be happy to own than on the ultimate guitar. Something like a Dirty 100 would be awesome - I'm thinking of wood selection more than the actual body style, colour and electronics, though I think the Dirty 100 was a great product. I also think that would be a good price point to target.

Personally, I would be thinking McCarty or Santana shape, vintage yellow, dirty flame top, peruvian mahogany or rosewood neck. Cocobolo fingerboards are sweet, but I'm not hung up on it. I also kind of like the dirty moons, but would go with the flow on inlay.

PRS might be more interested in a run of 100, which might be hard for the forum to get a commitment to, but that's just my wild speculation.

aduayer
01-24-2013, 08:15 AM
well, I have to be honest, I've already played a few PRS that I don't like it at all, but those were made a long time ago. In the recent years it's more like "this one suits me more then that one" then the "not my cup of tea" thing. based on that, I could go with any "normal" spec and by normal I mean a Hollow body guitar with Floyd Rose is too much for me.
I also think that most of us has more then one PRS guitar and have another one like the other ones but with different inlays and/or one of a kind color would be not as cool as have different inlays, color and wood selection. So anything from a 22 frets Mira with alder body, rosewood neck and cocobolo fingerboard to a single cut with swamp ash back, maple top etc etc etc.

I think we can't go wrong with a 22 frets Pettern Neck and McCarty body shape. I can see most of us enjoying the 408 Electronics. Maybe 2 of those narrow ones, so it could be even more exclusive. well, now that I wrote it looks like Paul's guitar...LOL
gezzz, this is hard... but I want one

Albrecht Smuten
01-24-2013, 08:22 AM
I'm in for any mutual agreement as long as it's Eriza Verde 3-Mike-7 :D

aduayer
01-24-2013, 08:29 AM

now we are talking!

Albrecht Smuten
01-24-2013, 08:35 AM
now we are talking!

After all, it's a model that is already named after a forum member, right?

WEDGE
01-24-2013, 09:10 AM
Sounds like something Rob Chapman did for his first guitar made under his own brand name the ML1. Had all his fans vote for favorite attributes and made something to suit the majority. Cool idea. As long as it is not cost prhibitive I might be in; cant do a PS type price tage but if reasonable I may be down for one.

rugerpc
01-24-2013, 09:37 AM
I like this idea too. I'm concerned that this limited run could get pricy and fast. I think that many of us will need to know the price to us cost before we will be able to commit. We have lots of members who only have one or 2 guitars by financial necessity.

If we can get past that stumbling block, this sounds like a really cool idea.

I think it needs to have a popular shape like a McCarty, but with distinctive features on which we'll debate.

Some things I think would be cool are siggy-like minitoggles to split each coil independently. Maybe a piezo bridge. It would be nice to have unique inlays, but I fear that that would raise the cost too much - Perhaps PRSh could be persuaded to sign the headstocks backs with "Forum Guitar Special" or something like that. I'm down for a custom color blend. Whatever woods are used - they should be cleared for international shipping.

One thing it should NOT have is numbered headstocks like 1/50 and 8/50. I don't want to see forum members fighting for the first or last or low numbers.

Buildermike
01-24-2013, 09:42 AM
IMHO, I would start with a smaller goal of issuing a offical TRC for the forum.

docbennett
01-24-2013, 09:45 AM
I'd commit to a CU24 or Santana shaped guitar with a BRW board, BRW neck....and a Piezo system built in. Other than those essentials, I'd go along with the forum on specific electronics, neck carve, scale length. I'd vote for special inlays, however, and wouldn't mind the original Tree of Life design from the 1995 Rosewood Ltd.

iahawk36
01-24-2013, 09:46 AM
Depending on the price point, I'd be in for a DC22!! I think it's such a great and unique guitar that it would be a great first "Forum" guitar!!

themike
01-24-2013, 10:00 AM

Ahahah thats awesome.

IMHO, I would start with a smaller goal of issuing a offical TRC for the forum.

I agree - something everyone could afford and display on their favorite PRSi! Or maybe even a TRC/Cavity Cover combination!

south89
01-24-2013, 10:19 AM
I would be happy with the McCarty body to start. As far as number of frets and scale length either one would be good. Pick ups could be special 59/09 that has mini toggles to split pickups. Color would be up in the air because there is such varieties. As for the neck I gotta say crack wood.

Twinfan
01-24-2013, 10:32 AM
I'm liking where this is going. How about as a starter for ten:

* McCarty body
* 25" scale
* Trem
* Rosewood neck with no finish, no binding and the Pattern profile
* Special headstock overlay - an Eagle with a "Forum Guitar" banner perhaps?
* Zebra 59/09 squabbins with Signature switching (and DGT-spec resistors used for splits)
* Vintage Yellow

AP515
01-24-2013, 11:02 AM
I like the idea, but I think we all will need to be willing to compromise in order to allow international shipping and keep the price low enough that most of us could get in on it.

How about if PRS could offer us choices that they could do if we asked for a 50 - 100 piece run. Then we could start choosing from the options they are willing to offer. Let PRS tell us what inlays, colors, and hardware they are willing to use at say a $2400 price. We could have a poll with all the options offered and come up with the winning guitar. Then when we get the winning guitar we can see how many are ready to purchase. PRS can then say if they are willing to do the run or not.

Personally, I'll take a DGT Std in translucent red with 59/09's and knots. Simple and unique. Might be within budget too. Pretty much this color...
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii126/Pecospup/Ce222.jpg

WEDGE
01-24-2013, 11:22 AM
One thing it should NOT have is numbered headstocks like 1/50 and 8/50. I don't want to see forum members fighting for the first or last or low numbers.

Agreed but it would be cool if they all said something like '1of 50' to designate the amount produced in the run. Also woudl hate to fight over colors, maybe the team could come up with a unique forum guitar only color or fade?

WEDGE
01-24-2013, 11:23 AM

* McCarty body
* 25" scale
* Trem
* Zebra 59/09 squabbins with Signature switching (and DGT-spec resistors used for splits)
* Vintage Yellow

Who do I make the check out to!

butterfly
01-24-2013, 11:23 AM
Rather than a combined wish list guitar, maybe we could work off an existing new model--say the new Paul's guitar, and create a special PRS Forum Edition. It could have the custom TRC that someone mentioned above, and be specially signed and numbered. Perhaps with a choice of 1/2 special colors. I think that might justify a run, a la a dealer run. I would try to buy one.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
01-24-2013, 11:54 AM
When ordering lunch for a large group of people, it is always easier to ask what the WON'T eat. :)

I love the idea of a 24.5" scale DC22 with Piezo and a pair of narrow 408's. Make it Vintage Yellow with just a hint of Amber added to the stain (so it looks aged) with a unique inlay (or no inlay at all) and I'd be on it like a hobo on a hot dog.

Did someone say nitro? :)

Neck carve would still have to be an option.

LSchefman
01-24-2013, 12:07 PM
I wish I could join you guys for this er..."lunch"...but I just "ate".

;)

Love to hang out and see how this turns out, though!

Egads
01-24-2013, 12:18 PM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;43749']Or maybe a US model loosely based on the SE One with BRW fretboards, a lipstick pup in the bridge position, and P22 Piezo? You know that would get my vote! :)

I'll take one of these...as a US model or an SE.

jfb
01-24-2013, 12:26 PM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;43912']When ordering lunch for a large group of people, it is always easier to ask what the WON'T eat. :)

I won't eat vintage tuners, but am willing let go of my other deal breakers (http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?2366-What-s-your-Deal-breaker) for the sake of making this happen.

aduayer
01-24-2013, 12:40 PM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;43912']When ordering lunch for a large group of people, it is always easier to ask what the WON'T eat. :)

well, once again, wonderful idea.
I think the piezo would be too much, don't like it. 24.5 scale and DC aren't my cup of tea, but as JFB said: "I am willing let go of my other deal breakers for the sake of making this happen.". I also think Mike 7 Eriza Verde Burst could be an interesting option for a color

rugerpc
01-24-2013, 12:43 PM
I'd commit to a CU24 or Santana shaped guitar with a BRW board, BRW neck....and a Piezo system built in. Other than those essentials, I'd go along with the forum on specific electronics, neck carve, scale length. I'd vote for special inlays, however, and wouldn't mind the original Tree of Life design from the 1995 Rosewood Ltd.

Doc - anything with BRW makes overseas shipping a problem if not impossible. We need this guitar to be available to our friends overseas too.

rugerpc
01-24-2013, 12:44 PM
Agreed but it would be cool if they all said something like '1of 50' to designate the amount produced in the run. Also woudl hate to fight over colors, maybe the team could come up with a unique forum guitar only color or fade?

^^ +1

sergiodeblanc
01-24-2013, 12:51 PM
How about a solid color KL33 type guitar?

swede71
01-24-2013, 02:04 PM
The trem needs a steelblock for that upper mid sizzle :).25 " neck please!Vintage yellow is so classic PRS.I like Sergios idea with a bolt-on neck.Keep costs down :).Signature switching.How about same specs on a few different bodies(including a bolt-on custom ala CE or Hiland)?

Mike Duncan
01-24-2013, 02:47 PM
make 'em any color as long as they're opaque...

docbennett
01-24-2013, 02:59 PM
Yup....we are real close to a consensus here, fer sure! :p

Maybe the official Forum TRC was the best idea after all. ;)

south89
01-24-2013, 03:00 PM
I likie twin's idea but have the option between trem and stoptail

* McCarty body
* 25" scale
* Trem
* Vintage Yellow

justmund
01-24-2013, 03:01 PM

I love the idea of a 24.5" scale DC22 with Piezo and a pair of narrow 408's. Make it Vintage Yellow with just a hint of Amber added to the stain (so it looks aged) with a unique inlay (or no inlay at all) and I'd be on it like a hobo on a hot dog.

With a natural back and you got me!

aduayer
01-24-2013, 03:04 PM
what about a version of Paul's guitar, but with different inlay and rosewood neck? trem or stop tail as an option. and I insist that Mike7 Verde Burst would make it even more one of a kind. just saying

watelessness
01-24-2013, 03:11 PM
I'd think we'd have more luck obtaining a majority opinion than a consensus.

BostonGuitar
01-24-2013, 03:20 PM
Korina DGT Standard 245 w/moons in natural nitro matte finish with trem, Grissom bridge pickup, 59/09 neck pickup, Wide-Fat(or pattern equivolent) neck profile...
This keeps it reasonable on the price, and creates a tonal workhorse that has some uniqueness as well...
Options are nickel hardware with clear lampshades and creme pickup surrounds, or gold hardware with amber lampshades... and black pickup surrounds...

VHTStark
01-24-2013, 03:30 PM
Something i did on a previous forum (with which we DID get a custom run made quite proud) was to break it down into a series of topics and members voted on what spec they wnated so for example you'd have the "neck carve thread" and you'd vote on whether you wanted the wide thin or wide fat or whatever and the one with the most votes went through to the final production model,
just a thought but it worked on that forum where the members would get roudy if they didn't get their spec in the first thread (though strangely quite when it didn't get voted through)

Ya, I have done this a few times on the Seymour Duncan forum. That is just making a pickup and still SO much bickering and debate on specs. I like the idea of the poll based system for specs though. This would be such a cool idea, but again, with all the variables it will be tough....everyone has deal breakers, even myself and you'd need enough people on board or it wouldn't be worthwhile! Alot of guys love the rosewood necks and short scale.....I don't need/want another rosewood necked guitar and prefer the longer scale; some would only be in if it were rosewood....or maple....or 'hog! Haha! Personally, I would say start with a platform, an iconic PRS like a Custom or Mccarty like twinfan said and then poll the rest of the specs!

iahawk36
01-24-2013, 03:30 PM

You nailed it with this one, IMHO....of course, I'd go for the 59/09 pups.

hippietim
01-24-2013, 03:43 PM
For this to be worth doing, it has to be something you can't get from a production guitar (not forgetting about the Artist package).

There are a gazillion variations of the McCarty and the CU22/24 so I'd avoid those altogether.

The thing that would appeal to me would be some sort of unique configuration of a Ted McCarty. I'd say choice of pickups, add Signature switching, and two or three stains to choose from (preferably from the private stock list). I'd be open to SC or DC.

Hans, what you should do is brainstorm with a handful of people of your choosing and put out a proposal - people are either in or out.

jfb
01-24-2013, 03:56 PM
For this to be worth doing, it has to be something you can't get from a production guitar (not forgetting about the Artist package).

Hans, what you should do is brainstorm with a handful of people of your choosing and put out a proposal - people are either in or out.

This and this.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
01-24-2013, 04:07 PM

Let's bleed the pig a little more and then I'll re-read the thread to help shape that discussion. There are lots of members I'd still like to hear from.

wilerty
01-24-2013, 05:17 PM
No ... But I would take a set of BRW coasters with paua bird inlays or PS eagle ...

docbennett
01-24-2013, 05:24 PM
No ... But I would take a set of BRW coaters with paua bird inlays or PS eagle ...

I'll save every one else my moment of puzzlement, as I assume you meant "Coasters" :)

Mikegarveyblues
01-24-2013, 05:33 PM
Out of my price range no matter what, but if there's a custom TRC comes out of it put me on the list! :)

Be very interesting to see what comes of this and how the final guitar may look.

veinbuster
01-24-2013, 05:36 PM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;43912']

I'd do that.

Twinfan
01-24-2013, 05:43 PM
I'm in for that too, as long as you drop the pizza. Not everyone's into it, plus it'll keep the price down.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
01-24-2013, 05:45 PM
I'm in for that too, as long as you drop the pizza. Not everyone's into it, plus it'll keep the price down.

Piezo option?

JustRob
01-24-2013, 05:49 PM

Man, I could sure go for some pizza.:biggrin:

rugerpc
01-24-2013, 05:54 PM
Man, I could sure go for some pizza.:biggrin:

What if it was Eriza Verde Green pizza?
:eek:
There are some things that just don't work.

But piezo should be an option...

docbennett
01-24-2013, 06:20 PM
Leave the Pizza.....take the Piezo.

Or is it, Take the Piezo....leave the Pizza??

I'd like a piezo option. I don't need any pizza.

sergiodeblanc
01-24-2013, 06:40 PM
Pizza never sounds right direct or through an amp.

themike
01-24-2013, 08:44 PM
Well if it did happen it would be cool if it was special.... unique.... for people who bleed PRS day to day.

What about some CE's with 408s.... a totally unique model that you can't get.....

No. I have it. What about something like that limited run of 40 burl topped guitars. Why not make the forum guitar have a unique wood top and have the back hand signed 2013 PRS Forum Guitar.

bluefade
01-24-2013, 08:53 PM
Has anyone bothered to ask Mr PRS if he wants to make a forum guitar ??????????????????

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
01-24-2013, 09:55 PM
Well if it did happen it would be cool if it was special.... unique.... for people who bleed PRS day to day.

What about some CE's with 408s.... a totally unique model that you can't get.....

No. I have it. What about something like that limited run of 40 burl topped guitars. Why not make the forum guitar have a unique wood top and have the back hand signed 2013 PRS Forum Guitar.
I like the idea of something unique. I even tried to find a way to work a deck of cards into the design.

Twinfan
01-25-2013, 02:30 AM
Pizza = piezo guys, thought that was a common nickname!

JustRob
01-25-2013, 07:05 AM
Pizza = piezo guys, thought that was a common nickname!

Wasn't busting on you, it was dinner time and I was hungry.

Piezo is one thing I want and don't have, but I've also never sent anything to PTC for work, which I would also like to try, so I'm easy. :p

watelessness
01-25-2013, 08:32 AM
Should it be a "forum guitar with only color and tailpiece" options, or should there be a "forum collection" with several pieces of various configurations linked together with a common "forum" theme, such as headstock veneer and inlay?

garrett
01-25-2013, 09:12 AM
I'm way too picky and way too broke, so you guys have fun. :beer:

AP515
01-25-2013, 09:51 AM
A CE22 with 408's and moons but a "PRS Forum" inlay at the 12th fret. Unique and not so expensive.

Dan-d-1985
01-25-2013, 10:18 AM
Late to the party I see, but I'd fancy something akin to AP's suggestion of CE with 408's THat would be a cool mix and i'd be on it like jabba at a buffet.

A special forum TRC would be cool too. And much more affordable ;)

andy474x
01-25-2013, 10:50 AM
Lots of cool ideas going here, I love the suggestions for a DC245 and Sig switching! I would probably go for a set of 59/09's as far as pickups, but that's just $.02 from someone that won't be buying one (stupid grad school loans, why they haven't added a "PRS Fund" to our expense budget is beyond me).

If a MD Forum Guitar doesn't happen for any reason, I would be down for some kind of special run SE with USA pickups and a special top/finish, or something like that... but by all means, go for the USA guitar first!

JMintzer
01-25-2013, 11:15 AM
Has anyone bothered to ask Mr PRS if he wants to make a forum guitar ??????????????????

Like he has any say in it... Pfft!

Jamie

clcwarlock
01-25-2013, 11:31 AM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;44121']I like the idea of something unique. I even tried to find a way to work a deck of cards into the design.

I thought that also hans, Diamond, Spade, Heart, Club inlays. I also think there should be 52 made. I think the voting system would work best with this. The BCRichplayers forum I belong to designed a Warlock made in Korea with specs all voted on by the forum. They kept the price to $1000 and were able to get it done. In the end they did 2 colors, purple burst and black silver burst ,25 of each color, neck through, dimarzio pups, diamond inlays, kahler with floyd nut, etc. It turned out really nice.

rugerpc
01-25-2013, 11:46 AM
After going through the Friday thread, I'm jonesing for a tequila sunrise glow....

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
01-25-2013, 12:07 PM
I also think there should be 52 made.
We would need 54. We've got a pair of Jokers in play. ;)

WEDGE
01-25-2013, 12:26 PM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;44229']We would need 54. We've got a pair of Jokers in play. ;)

More than a couple jokers on this forum I would guess :)

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
01-25-2013, 12:37 PM
Of course we could do a Poker motif and each buyer could just have their card represented on the truss rod cover.

sergiodeblanc
01-25-2013, 12:53 PM
What about those random dealer runs like the purple SE Tremonti custom? They always seem to be in runs numbering around fifty. I think I'm gonna be a flip-flopper and suggest that it be an SE model so that way everybody who is a card member could come closer to affording it. It would kill me to see "The Queen of Hearts" be out of my reach, and there are a few important cards who have not yet been able to get into a Maryland made PRS yet. It might also be a bit more practical to try and talk to one of the dealers in our new Dealer section about them ordering a run of say..... I don't know..... um, a SE 24 in the Tri-color Rasta scheme? (still pushing my own agenda)

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
01-25-2013, 01:03 PM
It would kill me to see "The Queen of Hearts" be out of my reach...That's why a poker theme with custom truss rod covers (for your actual card) makes sense. Plus, people who are card holders might not want one. Conversely, people who are NOT card holder might want one.

docbennett
01-25-2013, 01:17 PM
Along the lines of prior posts....and NOT trying to be a troublemaker here...but, as a Card Holder, I would not be willing to commit to an SE model...it's just not in my plans, and would represent a waste of my funds. I know I am kinda particular, but if I am going to spend new money on a model, it would have to be a model that met my interests. that's why I am thinking that an accessory might be the best way to go, for the "forum model". I'd be flexible with regard to model, pickups, scale length...even type of wood. Where I would draw the line is the SE vs. a USA made model. Not trying to be an elitist here at all, BTW. I already own an Angelus SE.

In addition, it may be somewaht presumptious to assume that everyone who committed to a card to assist this forum would be in a position to buy any guitar in the near future. I'd hate to have people who are contributing to the forum feel like they are "2nd class citizens" because they might be financially unable to participate at this time.

Just my 3 cents.

WEDGE
01-25-2013, 01:18 PM
We need to get all the card holding guitars together at the Experience and play a 54 guitar version of Louie Louie :)

docbennett
01-25-2013, 01:27 PM
We need to get all the card holding guitars together at the Experience and play a 54 guitar version of Louie Louie :)

Only if Les sings the verses and plays the Accordian and Keys!! :):)

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
01-25-2013, 01:29 PM
let's not forget, gents... this is just an idea and it might take a month for everyone to warm to new ideas. Even then, we still might find an idea that works, pitch the idea, and be told "no".

So for now, let's not get out the checkbooks and start arm-wrestling over details. Instead, let's keep brainstorming all the possibilities. Get crazy with the cheeze whiz.

LSchefman
01-25-2013, 02:02 PM
Always the contrarian, I am...

What I love about PRS is the ability to choose, or special order, a guitar that exactly suits my musical needs and wants at the time. What I love about the new Artist packages is the ability to custom-tailor a guitar for less than PS. That is absolutely worth the investment. Huge joy-joy factor in that for me.

A special forum guitar with some kind of added decor theme...honestly...so not me for many reasons.

Not that I'm against it, and I'm not trying to put down the idea. Nor do I feel like a second class citizen at all; I just have to make choices, as we all do, and with a studio there are lots of gear needs as things do break, the state of the art changes, etc. So while I try to buy the best stuff I can afford for my work, I also try to be careful with where it all goes.

And generally, I need time to plan ahead even for contingencies. Last year I sold an amp because I was caught unprepared with studio needs, and I don't want that to happen again!

LSchefman
01-25-2013, 02:02 PM
Only if Les sings the verses and plays the Accordian and Keys!! :):)

You're on.

Jazzedout
01-25-2013, 02:18 PM
May I suggest a more systematic but democratic approach?
Why don't we have a series of votes about the specs?
First of all we can vote on the core model that this should be based on. (408, DGT, McCarty, CE, CU22, CU24... maybe even some discontinued model...)
Leave this running for let's say a week....
When the basis model is decided, we can have a vote for Neck wood. Leave this on for another week. Then another vote for body woods combos, another one for pickups, Color, finish type etc...
After this model is designed then those interested in having this done can say so, and then maybe it can get built.
A good idea could be that this collectively (is this the correct word?) built project is ready to be presented at the next PRS Experience event in September 2013 ??
Maybe this could be the Experience 2013 guitar???
I know that everyone will not be happy (that's why private stock exists) but at the same time I believe that we are going to spec a very interesting guitar...
just my 2p....

docbennett
01-25-2013, 02:23 PM
First of all we can vote on the core model that this should be based on. (408, DGT, McCarty, CE, CU22, CU24... maybe even some discontinued model...)
Leave this running for let's say a week....
When the basis model is decided, we can have a vote for Neck wood. Leave this on for another week. Then another vote for body woods combos, another one for pickups, Color, finish type etc...
After this model is designed then those interested in having this done can say so, and then maybe it can get built.
A good idea could be that this collectively (is this the correct word?) built project is ready to be presented at the next PRS Experience event in September 2013 ??
Maybe this could be the Experience 2013 guitar???
I know that everyone will not be happy (that's why private stock exists) but at the same time I believe that we are going to spec a very interesting guitar...
just my 2p....

A great idea, but my prediction is that the initial "flow chart" would result in a certain number of responses leading to the "decision". then, we would expect a decreasing proportion of responders to each subsequent "decision tree". Maybe I'm being pessimistic...but by the time I see the decision tree narrowing down to the final specs..there might be only 2 or 3 people left interested in the build.

sergiodeblanc
01-25-2013, 02:49 PM
Or we could just have fun trying to decide, after all it's the journey that is most important.

docbennett
01-25-2013, 03:05 PM
Or we could just have fun trying to decide, after all it's the journey that is most important.

Zen Master Sergiodeblanc! :adore:

We don't have a 1-hand clapping icon, however. :congrats:

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
01-25-2013, 03:14 PM

I stared to do that - treat it like a formal project. Then I decided to let you guys do that. :) So... who's "it?"

sergiodeblanc
01-25-2013, 04:37 PM
Zen Master Sergiodeblanc! :adore:

We don't have a 1-hand clapping icon, however. :congrats:

Aww shucks! :girl:

-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;44292']I stared to do that - treat it like a formal project. Then I decided to let you guys do that. :) So... who's "it?"

This is like a freebie for a cardholder, you wouldn't have to think up posts for weeks!

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
01-25-2013, 04:50 PM
This is like a freebie for a cardholder, you wouldn't have to think up posts for weeks!

DING, DING, DING... ;)

guitarsong
01-25-2013, 05:00 PM
Has there ever been a standard all Hog Santana? if not how about-1 piece all Hog Santana body
-maple neck ( carve optional)
-rosewood or ebony board
-stoptail,2 piece or trem option
-408 Pups and electronics
-cresent moon inlays with 12th fret PRS FORUM banner
-painted white with every PRS employees name or signature in black
your basic ingredients maple,hog and rosewood just a slightly different recipe
price target $2500

docbennett
01-25-2013, 05:11 PM
Has there ever been a standard all Hog Santana? if not how about-1 piece all Hog Santana body
-rosewood or ebony board
price target $2500

Count me in on this one, sans signatures of employee's names big time. The rest sounds cool.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
01-25-2013, 05:28 PM
In a round-about-kinda-way, yes. The 1980 West Street Limited had a Sapele top. and Hog body. Sapele is an African wood in the mahogany family.

Still... I like this idea and here's why:
1) IMO, the 408 concept (wide in the treble position and narrow in the bass position) was based on the humbuckers Paul used to make by pairing 2 P90's in the treble position with a single P90 in the neck position. One the BEST sounding guitars I've ever heard live was a pre-factory PRS (a real pre-factory PRS, not an eBay pre-factory PRS) with the Sorcerer's Apprentice pickups. An all Hog guitar with the 408's would harken to the genesis of PRS guitars.
2) There seems to be a lot of support here for the 24.5" scale. The 24-fret and 24.5 " scale of the Westy was excellent - even for a guy that prefers a McCarty over a CU24. Both sides win?
3) The CNC programs already exist - making it easier to talk PRS into the project.

The only thing I don't like are the moons. It's a PRS, IMO... it's gotta have birds. :)

-rosewood or ebony board
price target $2500

sergiodeblanc
01-25-2013, 05:39 PM
OMG! The Sorcerers Apprentice!!! Can we dream of making it a 27 fretter for a few days?

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
01-25-2013, 05:44 PM
OMG! The Sorcerers Apprentice!!! Can we dream of making it a 27 fretter for a few days?

This whole thread is a dream, why limit it?

The Sourcerer's Apprentice 2 (with 408's)?

http://toneaddict.com/japrs/japrs1.jpg

AP515
01-25-2013, 05:46 PM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;44316']
The only thing I don't like are the moons. It's a PRS, IMO... it's gotta have birds. :)

Ok, how about the brushed birds? A bit of the old with the West Street body and a bit of the new with the brushtrokes? (probably be shot down by lots of folks who don't like them). We could put the "PRS Forum" at the 12th or on the headstock...or on that TRC as mentioned. We could make the TRC's for all who can't afford a guitar, and have them on the guitars too. Same thing for both projects.

butterfly
01-25-2013, 08:02 PM
maple top...maple top...maple top...

24.5 scale
double cut
birds--maybe the new ones
408 or Paul's guitar configuration pickups
Forum TRC
Numbered LE
Neck carve choice
choice of colors (maybe a custom one special for the run, like the one on Paul's guitar in the video)

would

veinbuster
01-25-2013, 08:46 PM
I really like the 24.5 westy direction.
Before checking the updates I was thinking of black or red a the colour options - solid colour implies less fussy about the top wood, which suggests lower cost and they are card colours.
But upon reading, I quite like a mahogany/sappele top. They look good, sound great and there are few enough for them that they look special.

I could go for the brush stroke birds as well. I am warming to them.

Audie
01-25-2013, 08:50 PM
I am kind of like like Les. I need functionality to justify buying. My 2 cents is to agree on a unique headstock. Be it a headstock design, inlay or veneer or combination thereof. Order the guitar you want with the "forum" headstock. Just my 2 cents. I am not a card member so maybe my vote dont count but I am on the forum darn it and I am in for a forum guitar.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
01-25-2013, 11:33 PM
Every member gets a vote.

Rango
01-26-2013, 12:10 AM
Been watching this thread.... My .02 cents:

24.5 - I like 25 but I can do 24.5

No birds is a non starter for me - Birds ARE a PRS signature

Pretty flexible on pickups - Be nice if we used a form factor that would allow for pickup substitutions. The narrow 408's are interesting, P90's would be rocking! But Pickups are easy enough to change....

22 fret is my preference.

Flame maple top is another PRS signature thing for me. I wouldn't say no way but it would really diminish the guitar for me if it wasn't a flame maple top. I like a hog body but not hard over on that... Obeche body? If Obeche is not to expensive... Be nice to keep the weight down.

Stop tail would be my choice but could do a trem too.

So my First choice:
Birds
22 fret
Flame maple top
Stop tail

Maybe a nice PRS sig for the headstock and a "Card" truss cover option. :biggrin:

Jazzedout
01-26-2013, 12:23 AM
I like the Sorcerer's apprentice II idea...
So, If I was to spec one like thisit would be something like this:
Sorcerer's Apprentice body
Santana I looking controls but working like Sig Ltd: Volume, Tone, coil split toggles. (Normal Sig Ltd electronics are more practical, but I don't think they'd look like they belong on this body shape)
Quilt Maple 10 or Artist grade / mahogany body.
Mc Carty thickness
FBJ (second choice would be VY or maybe tortoise shell like the one in Hans' pics of the original)
408 pickups (Zebra :) )
Trem
24 frets 25" scale (but could live with 24,5", don't have a problem with either but prefer 25")
Pernie Neck? If lower priced maybe one of those dense mahogany necks on the Sig Ltds (Sinker anyone? :) )
Rosewood board (a nicely figured one would be nice)
Santana style headstock with maple veneer from the same maple as the body, small eagle inlay and maybe a Forum banner on the maple TRC?
I would like Winged tuners, but maybe Phase III would be better...
Modern Eagle Limited celtic knots inlays (small ones with the larger at the 12th fret) Special edition inlay on the 24th fret (maybe the nubering 1/100 etc....)
But I like most of the inlays, including old birds, brushstroke ones, or 513 birds are also really cool....
That's about it....
Now if you don't like the S. Ap. body I would also like this in the McCarty body with normal headstock and Sig Ltd electronics.... :)

AP515
01-26-2013, 12:37 AM
I am not a card member so maybe my vote dont count but I am on the forum darn it and I am in for a forum guitar.

I'm not one who wants the card motief on the guitar. That is a pretty exclusive club. I do like the idea of a guitar and a TRC that promote the forum. I think the birds and special features make it what it should be.

I think were starting to gell on something cool:
24.5 scale
West Street body
Birds--maybe the new ones
408 or Paul's guitar configuration pickups
Forum TRC (if folks don't want to fund a guitar they can still get the TRC)
Numbered LE
Neck carve choice (if possible)
Choice of colors (maybe a custom one special for the run, like the one on Paul's guitar in the video)
Maple cap or STD (need to work on this one)
IRW neck option (if possible)
Stoptail, 2 piece, Trem options (unless cost means one type)
I would prefer phase 2 tuners if possible but PRS may only stock phase 3's
I like the usual PRS headstock better than the West Street one but will do either.
I would like to see it come in at around $2500, which brings me to a question. If PRS does agree, do we work through a store or do they have another way to get past the wholesaler issue?

tdiers
01-26-2013, 01:48 AM
Been watching this thread.... My .02 cents:

24.5 - I like 25 but I can do 24.5

No birds is a non starter for me - Birds ARE a PRS signature

Pretty flexible on pickups - Be nice if we used a form factor that would allow for pickup substitutions. The narrow 408's are interesting, P90's would be rocking! But Pickups are easy enough to change....

22 fret is my preference.

Flame maple top is another PRS signature thing for me. I wouldn't say no way but it would really diminish the guitar for me if it wasn't a flame maple top. I like a hog body but not hard over on that... Obeche body? If Obeche is not to expensive... Be nice to keep the weight down.

Stop tail would be my choice but could do a trem too.

So my First choice:
Birds
22 fret
Flame maple top
Stop tail

Maybe a nice PRS sig for the headstock and a "Card" truss cover option. :biggrin:

I agree with Rango.
While we are dreaming. Why not dream big. How about a USA and a SE version. Many of us may never be able to afford a $2500. However, having a chance to get a forum member sub-$1000 would be great.
I like the specs of CU22: Pickups 408s would be nice

veinbuster
01-26-2013, 07:37 AM
I'm seeing lots of suggestions I'd be happy with here. I thought I would create a branch thread to deal with individual aspects of the guitar to see if we converge on something. I think this is a good thread to brainstorm a total package, but it might be easier to see trends and agreement on smaller details.
First up the neck: http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?3004-The-neck-woods-of-the-forum-guitar

If that works, maybe look at the model that serves as a base, electronic configuration, inlays.

veinbuster
01-26-2013, 07:41 AM
I would like to see it come in at around $2500, which brings me to a question. If PRS does agree, do we work through a store or do they have another way to get past the wholesaler issue?
I have some ideas on the purchase path if we get any momentum.
I agree with your target price. In my mind I was wanting to contain the package between $2000 & $3500, and ideally on the lower end of that to make it more accessible.

south89
01-26-2013, 08:16 AM
Not being a card holder but an avid visitor to the forum I would say this is where I would fall in to I guess. I have been following this thread closely and I am liking the all the ideas but not sure about the DC body only becuse I have never played one. I do like the idea of 59/09's with Sig switching it is an amazing idea and one that I had in mind for my dream private stock.:D

Either way I like where this is going and would definately be interested if it happens :top:

-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;44254']That's why a poker theme with custom truss rod covers (for your actual card) makes sense. Plus, people who are card holders might not want one. Conversely, people who are NOT card holder might want one.

south89
01-26-2013, 08:36 AM
Ok I think I shouldn't be typing when I wake up first thing in the moring :coffee: When I say DC body shape I was talking about the Santana body ( haven't ever played one before )

Mikegarveyblues
01-26-2013, 12:40 PM
If this is going to be a true 'forum' guitar then it has to remain accessible to a good number of forum members around the world.

An SE version would be nice but I can't see that happening (I may be in for that). However, there should be something relatively inexpensive that is accessible to pretty much all members price wise. The only thing I can think of is a custom TRC that's used on all the forum guitars. That way, even if you can't afford the guitar you can be a part of it. Maybe custom knobs or control plates?

There's a danger this could become too exclusive?

rugerpc
01-26-2013, 12:49 PM
If this is going to be a true 'forum' guitar then it has to remain accessible to a good number of forum members around the world.

An SE version would be nice but I can't see that happening (I may be in for that). However, there should be one something relatively inexpensive that is accessible to pretty much all members price wise. The only thing I can think of is a custom TRC that's used on all the forum guitars. That way, even if you can't afford the guitar you can be a part of it. Maybe custom knobs or control plates?

At over $2500 I'd probably be out - I just can't justify it at this time - I have a wedding to pay for!

Rango
01-26-2013, 01:00 PM
I'd hope we'd be able to keep it in the price range of a regular USA PRS. if it goes PS that would put it out of range for most of us....

AP515
01-26-2013, 01:10 PM
At over $2500 I'd probably be out - I just can't justify it at this time - I have a wedding to pay for!

I'd hope we'd be able to keep it in the price range of a regular USA PRS. if it goes PS that would put it out of range for most of us....

I agree, I think the price needs to be in the $2000 - $2500 or only a few will be able to play. Those that want to be in on it but can't swing the price should be able to get the TRC which is the same as on the guitar.

andy474x
01-26-2013, 01:11 PM

An SE version would be nice but I can't see that happening (I may be in for that). However, there should be one something relatively inexpensive that is accessible to pretty much all members price wise. The only thing I can think of is a custom TRC that's used on all the forum guitars. That way, even if you can't afford the guitar you can be a part of it. Maybe custom knobs or control plates?

I too would like an option of an SE version. I also like the idea of the custom knobs, plates, and TRC. Maybe in an effort to make this something that any forum member could do with ANY guitar, we could come up with a custom hardware package of some kind, and have the guitars sent out from Maryland with that stuff already on, and also available as an aftermarket package if people want to go that route.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
01-26-2013, 01:21 PM
The first, ever, limited edition SE? Seems more cost prohibitive to have it done overseas than to have it done in Maryland (unless you were making thousands of them). There's a great deal of back and forth discussion and prototyping that goes with foreign production - especially on complicated products like a properly made guitar.

I'm guessing we'd be hard pressed to get 50 people to sign up for a "forum" guitar. Could be wrong though. Seems like info we could easily get from a well written poll - should someone be interested in creating it.

andy474x
01-26-2013, 01:28 PM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;44495']The first, ever, limited edition SE? Seems more cost prohibitive that have it done in Maryland unless you were making thousands of them. There's a great deal of back and forth discussion and prototyping that goes with oversea's production on complicated products like a properly made guitar.

I'm guessing we'd be hard pressed to get 50 people to sign up for a "forum" guitar. Could be wrong though. Seems like info we could easily get from a well written poll - should someone be interested in creating it.

Hey, we all have dreams ;) I totally agree that anything too "outside the box" would be difficult to do an overseas run. I'm thinking more like the recent UK run of Bernie's with 53/10's. Something with upgraded pickups, maybe a quilt top and/or special run finish, but still a stock SE model underneath.

JustRob
01-26-2013, 01:30 PM
I didn't get in on the cards (didn't know if anyone would be interested in what I have to say, after all, I'm "JustRob") but I am interested in the Forum guitar idea.
Seems like a lot of different desires and conditions to be met might take some time to sort.
Maybe a Forum Strap, with the 52 cards and Jokers might be faster, although the highly prized Paisley Strap seems to be taking it's time also. :biggrin:

Audie
01-26-2013, 01:45 PM
I would like to elaborate on my suggestion. Think outside the box with me for a moment and check this out. Clearly, budget, tone, and body shape are huge hurdles. We will never agree on all three. That said, I think about the headstock. Why? Because it is inexpensive, does not affect tone, and is a permanent part of the guitar. Unlike the other inexpensive suggestions like covers and knobs that can be switched from guitar to guitar and in doing so, thus defeating the purpose of a limited run forum guitar, the headstock could be unique to each member and the overall forum limited run. Now, what I mean is take three to five pices of headstock veneer, (say, curly maple, cocobolo, ebony, koa, splalted maple, whatever, and cut them symetrically or randomly and put them together symetrically or randomly to makeup a oneoff unique headstock veneer. Tastefully done, this looks awesome. I have seen it. No two will be alike but they each will be recognized as forum. McPherson and several boutique acoustic guitar builders offer this headstiock veneer option for there one off custom guitars. The end result is no two are alike, but instantly recognizeable. The headstock could be finished off with the TRC. So even if the TRC is swapped, the guitar will always be known as a forum edition. No One has to make compromises. Order any guitar you want, SE, CU, SC. Hollowbody, whatever, with artist package, private stock, or whatever, and request the forum headstock. Top it off with Paul signing the headstock in a unique color such as say "forum Blue" will add more uniqueness. A bold color is needed to offset the different color shades of wood to keep the sig prominent. This is cheap, easy, and no one has to make sacrifices. PRS makes up the required number of veneers and puts them on the guitar you ordered. WE then all have a forum guitar that is instantly recognizable, does not affect tone and does not break the bank, PEACE! What ya think? :p

veinbuster
01-26-2013, 02:25 PM
I would like to elaborate on my suggestion. Think outside the box with me for a moment and check this out. Clearly, budget, tone, and body shape are huge hurdles. We will never agree on all three. That said, I think about the headstock. Why? Because it is inexpensive, does not affect tone, and is a permanent part of the guitar. Unlike the other inexpensive suggestions like covers and knobs that can be switched from guitar to guitar and in doing so, thus defeating the purpose of a limited run forum guitar, the headstock could be unique to each member and the overall forum limited run. Now, what I mean is take three to five pices of headstock veneer, (say, curly maple, cocobolo, ebony, koa, splalted maple, whatever, and cut them symetrically or randomly and put them together symetrically or randomly to makeup a oneoff unique headstock veneer. Tastefully done, this looks awesome. I have seen it. No two will be alike but they each will be recognized as forum. McPherson and several boutique acoustic guitar builders offer this headstiock veneer option for there one off custom guitars. The end result is no two are alike, but instantly recognizeable. The headstock could be finished off with the TRC. So even if the TRC is swapped, the guitar will always be known as a forum edition. No One has to make compromises. Order any guitar you want, SE, CU, SC. Hollowbody, whatever, with artist package, private stock, or whatever, and request the forum headstock. Top it off with Paul signing the headstock in a unique color such as say "forum Blue" will add more uniqueness. A bold color is needed to offset the different color shades of wood to keep the sig prominent. This is cheap, easy, and no one has to make sacrifices. PRS makes up the required number of veneers and puts them on the guitar you ordered. WE then all have a forum guitar that is instantly recognizable, does not affect tone and does not break the bank, PEACE! What ya think? :p

That is an interesting alternative.

docbennett
01-26-2013, 02:32 PM

What might make this idea even more interesting is if the PTC would be willing to retrofit existing PRS guitars with the Forum Headstock..including the signature and TRC....so that those members who can't afford to take the plunge on a new guitar would be able to have their existing guitar retrofitted.

jfb
01-26-2013, 02:34 PM
I really like the 24.5 westy direction.
Before checking the updates I was thinking of black or red a the colour options - solid colour implies less fussy about the top wood, which suggests lower cost and they are card colours.
But upon reading, I quite like a mahogany/sappele top. They look good, sound great and there are few enough for them that they look special.

I could go for the brush stroke birds as well. I am warming to them.

I am as well.

veinbuster
01-26-2013, 02:40 PM
I added a pricing poll here Forum Guitar Price Range Poll (http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?3007-forum-guitar-price-range-what-level-is-your-cap)

hippietim
01-26-2013, 03:43 PM
Things that are absolute deal breakers for me:

some "forum guitar" inlay on the fingerboard
signatures on the guitar (other than the back of the headstock)
bolt-on neck (unless it's ash body/maple neck)
thin neck

Things that are not too appealing but if the rest of the specs are ok I may still do it:

special forum headstock - I'd have to see it first
408 pickups - I've got 3 guitars with them already
piezo bridge - I've got 3 guitars with piezo already

Things I don't care about:

inlays - all of the PRS inlays are fine with me
maple top - all mahogany is fine with me
neck woods - I'm good with pretty much any classic combination of neck/fingerboard woods - mahogany seems like a good choice to keep the cost down
bridge - trem or hard tail are both fine with me

Dirty Bob
01-26-2013, 09:08 PM
Whoa....I've missed a lot this last week....have I mentioned I hate the flu?...I understand how some people have brought up price and general accessibility. I can see how this could be an issue. However a Maryland made guitar is where this all started and for me this is where my interest would fall if a limited run were to be put together...I've heard a lot of good ideas....Peter's Dirty 100 like run I would totally be down for....I liked Hans original idea as well...especially the stain....And then somebody mentioned a West St. Limited version which would also be cool...I remember there being a bunch of Hog Westie's featured at Eddie's guitars awhile back....and I also remember seeing pic's of Derek Trucks playing a Hog body Santana style guitar as well...I thought it was well executed. Unique Inlays are always fun but take time and add to cost....I mean doing a theme on spades,clubs, diamonds, and hearts could be cool but again probably not practical.

I like the idea of a minimal inlay fretboard maybe a single bird, dragon, or moon (dirty of course) at the 12th fret at most.

ok so here goes...

Body: Double-cutaway or Santana
Thickness: McCarty
Body Wood: Mahogany
Top: Private stock grade or Artist Grade curly maple (dirty top)
Finish: Thin nitrocelleous lacquer (Paul's Finish)
Color: Ambered Vintage Yellow
Neck
Side markers: Banded Melon
Number of Frets: 22
Scale Length: 24-1/2"
Neck: Set Peruvian mahogany
Fretboard: "select" rosewood (same stuff as used on dirty 100...unbelievable boards!)
Nut width: 1-11/16"
Neck Shape: Wide Fat
Fretboard Radius: 10"
Fretwire: 6150 equivalent older style (although I am not that picky)
Inlays: single Black lip mother of pearl Coopers Hawk with black gold web border 12th fret
Hardware
Type: Nickel/brushed gold
Bridge: Mann Trem
Tuners: PRS phase III locking
Electronics
Bridge Pickup: Covered PRS 59/09 or 408
Neck Pickup: Covered PRS 59/09 or 408
Controls: DGT
Pickup Switching: old 3-Way Toggle Pickup Selector with 2 mini toggles
Additional:
Hans Edge Modification
Headstock Shape: Santana
Headstock veneer: Cocobolo
Headstock inlay: Smaller Experience Eagle or Paul's actual signature
Case: Paisley hardshell

ok...that's all I got right now....back to the land of Tama Flu for me.

rugerpc
01-26-2013, 09:26 PM
I'm jonesing for the brushstroke birds. To help keep the cost down and still be unique as a "forum" guitar, how about just one brushstroke bird at the 12th fret?

themike
01-26-2013, 11:27 PM
I'm jonesing for the brushstroke birds. To help keep the cost down and still be unique as a "forum" guitar, how about just one brushstroke bird at the 12th fret?

Contrary to popular belief, it would probably cost more to create something like that compared to something that already has a CNC program.

rugerpc
01-27-2013, 10:26 AM
If they are planning doing even a small run of 'Paul's Guitar', i'm thinking that they will digitize the brushstroak birds and CNC them.

Then to do just one instead of 10 or 11, they delete programming and use less materials and less man-hours to install them.

vchizzle
01-27-2013, 11:49 AM
Hans, not sure how I missed this thread! It's a really interesting thought. I love the idea. I can't imagine we'd be able to get solid commitments though. I love PRS and our forum as much as anyone, but unless the guitar turned out to be something I'd really love to use regularly, I can't say I could commit. I can't afford to own something that I won't play a lot. I guess it depends on what % of the members here you want it to be accessible to?

I would like to elaborate on my suggestion. Think outside the box with me for a moment and check this out. Clearly, budget, tone, and body shape are huge hurdles. We will never agree on all three. That said, I think about the headstock. Why? Because it is inexpensive, does not affect tone, and is a permanent part of the guitar. Unlike the other inexpensive suggestions like covers and knobs that can be switched from guitar to guitar and in doing so, thus defeating the purpose of a limited run forum guitar, the headstock could be unique to each member and the overall forum limited run. Now, what I mean is take three to five pices of headstock veneer, (say, curly maple, cocobolo, ebony, koa, splalted maple, whatever, and cut them symetrically or randomly and put them together symetrically or randomly to makeup a oneoff unique headstock veneer. Tastefully done, this looks awesome. I have seen it. No two will be alike but they each will be recognized as forum. McPherson and several boutique acoustic guitar builders offer this headstiock veneer option for there one off custom guitars. The end result is no two are alike, but instantly recognizeable. The headstock could be finished off with the TRC. So even if the TRC is swapped, the guitar will always be known as a forum edition. No One has to make compromises. Order any guitar you want, SE, CU, SC. Hollowbody, whatever, with artist package, private stock, or whatever, and request the forum headstock. Top it off with Paul signing the headstock in a unique color such as say "forum Blue" will add more uniqueness. A bold color is needed to offset the different color shades of wood to keep the sig prominent. This is cheap, easy, and no one has to make sacrifices. PRS makes up the required number of veneers and puts them on the guitar you ordered. WE then all have a forum guitar that is instantly recognizable, does not affect tone and does not break the bank, PEACE! What ya think? :pI think it's a creative and cool idea, but you might even have trouble getting everyone to agree on and like this :laugh:

What might make this idea even more interesting is if the PTC would be willing to retrofit existing PRS guitars with the Forum Headstock..including the signature and TRC....so that those members who can't afford to take the plunge on a new guitar would be able to have their existing guitar retrofitted. I don't believe that would be an inexpensive process.

Cool idea! Then it's not limiting to specific models and you kind of pick your price point. Doesn't make it quite the collective agreement of the forum members, but maybe easier to agree about.

In addition, it may be somewaht presumptious to assume that everyone who committed to a card to assist this forum would be in a position to buy any guitar in the near future. I'd hate to have people who are contributing to the forum feel like they are "2nd class citizens" because they might be financially unable to participate at this time.

Just my 3 cents.
This is so true. It's almost hard to even do something with the cards. As cool as that is if you're a card holder, sucks if you're not...I'm sure there's plenty of valuable members who are not card holders.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
01-30-2013, 05:40 PM
You guys giving up already?

justmund
01-30-2013, 06:00 PM
I'd like to put it out there and steal my PS idea for the pickup configuration.

3 x bass "408s" - 5-way blade - 3 x mini-toggles - push-pull to activate the treble PU (so you can have treble/bass or all 3 PUs)

I find I need a guitar with the 2-4 position in between sounds, and this is something that stops me from buying a 2 pickup with 3-way axe.

It's something different, it hasn't been done before (not that I know of) and would set the guitar apart from every other limited run, production or PS guitar out there.

If it doesn't happen here, I'll still do it on a PS!

jfb
01-30-2013, 06:41 PM
I kept the options on both to pickups and neck carve as the initial post described.

Forum Guitar Model Specs

DC245 with Grissom and 408 switching. Pickup selections make similar to a regular 408 or Paul's Guitar.

BODY
Top Wood Carved Figured Maple
Back Wood Mahogany

NECK
Number of Frets 22
Scale Length 24.5"
Neck Wood Mahogany
Fretboard Wood Ebony
Neck Shape Wide Fat, Pattern, Pattern Thin
Fretboard Inlays Painted Birds

HARDWARE/ELECTRONICS
Bridge PRS Stoptail
Tuners PRS Phase III Locking Tuners
Truss Rod Cover "Forum 2013"
Hardware Type Hybrid
Pickups 408 or Paul's Guitar

Pickup Switching Two Volume Controls with Tone Control and 3-Way Toggle Pickup Selector and Two Mini-Toggles

Color Terra-cotta Dragon's Breath

veinbuster
01-31-2013, 08:12 AM
Pickup Switching Two Volume Controls with Push/Pull Tone Control and 3-Way Toggle Pickup Selector and Two Mini-Toggles

I like your spec, but I'm not sure I know what the push/pull would do if you have mini toggles, which I assume switch individual pickups between humbucking and single coil mode.
I'll take one anyway.

Mike Duncan
01-31-2013, 08:21 AM
Singlecut / no trem? Not my cup of tea.

hippietim
01-31-2013, 08:35 AM
I'd like to put it out there and steal my PS idea for the pickup configuration.

3 x bass "408s" - 5-way blade - 3 x mini-toggles - push-pull to activate the treble PU (so you can have treble/bass or all 3 PUs)

I find I need a guitar with the 2-4 position in between sounds, and this is something that stops me from buying a 2 pickup with 3-way axe.

It's something different, it hasn't been done before (not that I know of) and would set the guitar apart from every other limited run, production or PS guitar out there.

If it doesn't happen here, I'll still do it on a PS!

I could get behind this.

docbennett
01-31-2013, 09:15 AM
http://prsguitars.com/forum/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by jfb http://prsguitars.com/forum/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?p=45739#post45739)

Pickup Switching Two Volume Controls with Push/Pull Tone Control and 3-Way Toggle Pickup Selector and Two Mini-Toggles

I like your spec, but I'm not sure I know what the push/pull would do if you have mini toggles, which I assume switch individual pickups between humbucking and single coil mode.
I'll take one anyway.

My Private stock has a push-pull tone control....best of all possible worlds....the tone control works in the traditional fashion...but the push pull recreates the original "sweet-switch".

iahawk36
01-31-2013, 09:42 AM
In the spirit of keeping it at an "attainable" price point, here is my vote:

- DC22 - 24.5" scale
- 59/09 or 57/08 pups
- pattern, pattern thin, or pattern regular neck
- lightweight mahogany back and neck
- optional rosewood neck
- maple 10-top
- old birds
- "FORUM GUITAR" designation on the TRC
- 4 different unique PS finishes.

jfb
01-31-2013, 09:49 AM

Copy and paste bit me on that one. I meant to remove the push / pull. Fixing it now.

I'll take one anyway.

:cheers:

jfb
01-31-2013, 09:56 AM
My Private stock has a push-pull tone control....best of all possible worlds....the tone control works in the traditional fashion...but the push pull recreates the original "sweet-switch".

I made an edit to remove the push/pull since I had the 408 mini toggles, but doc that sounds pretty cool. I should add it back like I knew what I was talking about all along. Well...uh...It's a sweet switch! Haha

docbennett
01-31-2013, 10:00 AM
I made an edit to remove the push/pull since I had the 408 mini toggles, but doc that sounds pretty cool. I should add it back like I knew what I was talking about all along. Well...uh...It's a sweet switch! Haha

(In the voice of Jon Lovitz, "pathological liar")

Yeah.....that's the ticket...it was a sweet switch! Yup.

vchizzle
01-31-2013, 10:42 AM
I think you could do something accessible to all members + the forum guitar. TRC and the guitar? If you do something like that, I think you need "forum guitar" written on the back of the headstock. I like the DC 24.5" as the base of the guitar. Old birds.

Rango
01-31-2013, 12:59 PM
I'm starting to understand WHY PRS makes so many models of guitars...with so many options. ;)

aduayer
01-31-2013, 12:59 PM
In the spirit of keeping it at an "attainable" price point, here is my vote:

- DC22 - 24.5" scale
- 59/09 or 57/08 pups
- pattern, pattern thin, or pattern regular neck
- lightweight mahogany back and neck
- optional rosewood neck
- maple 10-top
- old birds
- "FORUM GUITAR" designation on the TRC
- 4 different unique PS finishes.

I think we could have a TRC and the guitar. count me in for both. I would like, like most of us I believe, to make this forum guitar like our own PS, but we have to let go some stuffs. 24 frets and piezo (pizza always...LOL) I really don't want.
other things, ok.
I just would like to add the 408 configuration to the board. I think it would really rock this world. And that two tone motif PRS displayed at NAMM 2013 is so bad ass!
I'd go with the rosewood neck (madagascar?!) and cocobolo fretboard, birds of any kind and stop tail.

hippietim
01-31-2013, 02:27 PM
Another idea, the PRS hot rod "Strat":

CU 24 (22 would be fine too)
Alder/Ash body
bolt-on maple neck
single humbucker in the bridge - probably a Tremonti or 5909
single volume control
moon inlays
Floyd Rose
Kill switch
Let Paul Miles go nuts with the paint jobs (matching headstocks would be cool)

swede71
01-31-2013, 02:32 PM

Alder/Ash body
bolt-on maple neck
single volume control
moon inlays
Floyd Rose
Kill switch

A Hippietim signature guitar perhaps?I love your guitar.I would like a singlecoil in the neckposition and a toneknob as an option :)

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
01-31-2013, 02:48 PM
I'm starting to understand WHY PRS makes so many models of guitars...with so many options. ;)

<<DING - DING - DING>>

crgtr
01-31-2013, 02:56 PM
I like the 408 x 3. DGT Controls. Push-Push coil taps. Standard neck options. Not against a bolt-on neck either. I have no opinion on birds. Just want tone! Some nice cool colors would be nice, but a Goldtop or Antique White would be fine with me.

VHTStark
01-31-2013, 03:18 PM

Alder/Ash body
bolt-on maple neck
single volume control
moon inlays
Floyd Rose
Kill switch

I would buy this in a heartbeat! Definitely would have that cool "one off" type vibe as there would be no other PRS's like it! Also, with some of the amazing work being done by the PTC
"hot rodding" existing guitars, an axe like this would be kind of a nice indirect nod their way as well!

Mike Duncan
01-31-2013, 03:21 PM
I'm with this^

hippietim
01-31-2013, 03:21 PM
I would buy this in a heartbeat! Definitely would have that cool "one off" type vibe as there would be no other PRS's like it! Also, with some of the amazing work being done by the PTC
"hot rodding" existing guitars, an axe like this would be kind of a nice indirect nod their way as well!

Skitchy and Shawn must approve all paint jobs.

VHTStark
01-31-2013, 03:36 PM
Skitchy and Shawn must approve all paint jobs.

I like where you are going with this sir! :)

Now personally, the specs you have listed (or iterations of) I love; but I do realize there are many who won't dig the 'rodded PRS thing. That's cool! The main point is that, like you posted before, if it is going to be a forum guitar; why not make it something unique! Why play it safe!? I also really dig the idea of giving some free reign at the PRS/employee end! Again, something different than us just picking a few colours!

hippietim
01-31-2013, 03:48 PM
The main point is that, like you posted before, if it is going to be a forum guitar; why not make it something unique! Why play it safe!?

Exactly. If it's just a <insert model here> in a standard color with a custom TRC then I don't see the point.

I also really dig the idea of giving some free reign at the PRS/employee end! Again, something different than us just picking a few colours!

The fine employees at PRS are what keeps a lot of us coming back for more - they'd come up with something cool for sure.

rugerpc
01-31-2013, 05:05 PM
OK - I think I have all the suggestions to this point - as you read the options, I think you will see that we have managed to replicate the entire line save the acoustics...

The official forum guitar will definitely have:

Body Shape or base guitar
• McCarty
• Santana
• Mira
• singlecut
• 3mike7
• CU24
• DC22 (Santana)
• DGT
• Paul's Guitar
• SE run instead of MD made
• sorcerer's apprentice 2
• West Street body

Body Wood
• mahogany
• alder
• swamp ash
• korina
• obeche

Top Wood
• flame maple
• mahogany
• korina
• burl
• sapele
• quilt maple

Neck Wood
• mahogany
• rosewood
• Brazilian rosewood (cannot be shipped overseas)

Neck Attachment
• set neck
• bolt on (CE, Hiland)

Neck Carve
• pattern (wide fat)
• pattern thin (wide thin)
• pattern regular (regular)

Scale
• 24.5"
• 25"

Number of Frets

Fretboard
• rosewood
• cocobolo
• ebony

Headstock Veneer
• cocobolo (dirty 100)
• maple

Headstock shape
• PRS
• Santana

Bridge
• stoptail
• PRS Trem
• Floyd Rose Trem
• piezo
• steelblock trem
• 2 piece stoptail

Number of PUPs
• two
• three

Bridge PUP
• narrow 408
• 59/09
• zebra 59/09 squabbins
• Grissom
• P90

Middle PUP
• narrow 408

Neck PUP
• narrow 408
• 59/09
• zebra 59/09 squabbins
• wide 408
• P90

PUP surrounds
• creme
• gold
• black

Electronics
• sweet switch
• toggle switch
• McCarty
• 2 mini toggles (siggy)
• siggy switching
• DGT spec resistors for splits
• sig limited switching
• old 3-Way Toggle Pickup Selector with 2 mini toggles
• three mini toggles
• kill switch

Tuners
• winged
• phase III

Inlays
• moons
• banded melon side dots
• tree of life
• brushstroke birds
• 'PRS Forum' at 12
• birds
• celtic knots
• 513 birds

Color
• vintage yellow
• eriza verde burst
• red
• unique forum color/ fade
• vintage yellow with a hint of amber
• opaque
• natural back
• private stock stains
• tequila sunrise glow
• white (with forum member's name in black)
• black
• terra cotta dragon's breath
• goldtop

Finish
• V12
• nitro
• nitro matte

Signage
• 'forum' on TRC
• PRSh sig on back of headstock 'Forum Guitar Special'
• on cavity cover
• headstock eagle with 'forum guitar' banner
• on back of headstock '2013 Forum Guitar'
• deck of cards
• diamond, spade, heart, club inlays
• numbered LE
• headstock experience eagle

Fretwire
• DGT

Hardware
• nickel
• gold
• hybrid

Knobs
• clear lampshades
• amber lampshades

hippietim
01-31-2013, 05:14 PM
You're missing a few options.

rugerpc
01-31-2013, 05:30 PM
You're missing a few options.

Soooooo not my point.... :)

docbennett
01-31-2013, 07:10 PM
OK - I think I have all the suggestions to this point - as you read the options, I think you will see that we have managed to replicate the entire line save the acoustics...

• McCarty
• Santana
• Mira
• singlecut
• 3mike7
• CU24
• DC22 (Santana)
• DGT
• Paul's Guitar
• West Street body

Body Wood
• mahogany
• alder
• swamp ash
• korina
• obeche

Top Wood
• flame maple
• mahogany
• korina
• burl
• sapele
• quilt maple

Neck Wood
• mahogany
• rosewood

Neck Attachment
• set neck
• bolt on (CE, Hiland)

Neck Carve
• pattern (wide fat)

Scale
• 24.5"
• 25"

Number of Frets

Fretboard
• rosewood
• cocobolo
• ebony

Headstock Veneer
• cocobolo (dirty 100)
• maple

Headstock shape
• PRS
• Santana

Bridge
• stoptail
• PRS Trem
• Floyd Rose Trem
• piezo
• steelblock trem
• 2 piece stoptail

Number of PUPs
• two
• three

Bridge PUP
• narrow 408
• 59/09
• zebra 59/09 squabbins
• Grissom
• P90

Middle PUP
• narrow 408

Neck PUP
• narrow 408
• 59/09
• zebra 59/09 squabbins
• wide 408
• P90

PUP surrounds
• creme
• gold
• black

Electronics
• sweet switch
• toggle switch
• McCarty
• 2 mini toggles (siggy)
• siggy switching
• sig limited switching
• three mini toggles
• kill switch

Tuners
• winged
• phase III

Inlays
• moons
• banded melon side dots
• tree of life
• brushstroke birds
• 'PRS Forum' at 12
• birds
• celtic knots
• 513 birds

Color
• vintage yellow
• eriza verde burst
• red
• opaque
• natural back
• private stock stains
• tequila sunrise glow
• black
• goldtop

Finish
• V12
• nitro
• nitro matte

Signage
• 'forum' on TRC
• on cavity cover
• deck of cards
• numbered LE

Fretwire
• DGT

Hardware
• nickel
• gold
• hybrid

Knobs
• clear lampshades
• amber lampshades

Pffft....I guess I'm out....I got one of these ^^^^ already. Very versatile instrument. And it glows in the dark too, with LED fret-markers.

rugerpc
01-31-2013, 07:45 PM
Pffft....I guess I'm out....I got one of these ^^^^ already. Very versatile instrument. And it glows in the dark too, with LED fret-markers.

:rofl:

docbennett
01-31-2013, 07:56 PM
When I was writing that, all I could think of was the Frenchman in "The Holy Grail".....

"I told him we already got one!"

http://modernvespa.com/pix/uploads/monty_python_taunting_617.jpg (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=orcUmncStnZ2SM&tbnid=3kRrk4NsPngJwM:&ved=0CAgQjRwwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sodahead.com%2Ffun%2Fare-gang-blockers-wimps-am-i-lets-find-out%2Fquestion-1662529%2F&ei=zBILUYTuD5On0AHu3IDoCw&psig=AFQjCNHxm9uB9Vp2h-cY86sTVoit5VWoPQ&ust=1359766604315877)

http://inpraiseofargument.squarespace.com/storage/monty.jpg

aduayer
01-31-2013, 08:13 PM
I really like the part that somebody posted: let Paul Mile get crazy with the finish. Loved it, and the other comment about Shawn and Skitchy should aprove the paint job.

JustRob
01-31-2013, 08:30 PM

• McCarty
• Santana
• Mira
• singlecut
• 3mike7
• CU24
• DC22 (Santana)
• DGT
• Paul's Guitar
• West Street body

Body Wood
• mahogany
• alder
• swamp ash
• korina
• obeche

Top Wood
• flame maple
• mahogany
• korina
• burl
• sapele
• quilt maple

Neck Wood
• mahogany
• rosewood

Neck Attachment
• set neck
• bolt on (CE, Hiland)

Neck Carve
• pattern (wide fat)

Scale
• 24.5"
• 25"

Number of Frets

Fretboard
• rosewood
• cocobolo
• ebony

Headstock Veneer
• cocobolo (dirty 100)
• maple

Headstock shape
• PRS
• Santana

Bridge
• stoptail
• PRS Trem
• Floyd Rose Trem
• piezo
• steelblock trem
• 2 piece stoptail

Number of PUPs
• two
• three

Bridge PUP
• narrow 408
• 59/09
• zebra 59/09 squabbins
• Grissom
• P90

Middle PUP
• narrow 408

Neck PUP
• narrow 408
• 59/09
• zebra 59/09 squabbins
• wide 408
• P90

PUP surrounds
• creme
• gold
• black

Electronics
• sweet switch
• toggle switch
• McCarty
• 2 mini toggles (siggy)
• siggy switching
• sig limited switching
• three mini toggles
• kill switch

Tuners
• winged
• phase III

Inlays
• moons
• banded melon side dots
• tree of life
• brushstroke birds
• 'PRS Forum' at 12
• birds
• celtic knots
• 513 birds

Color
• vintage yellow
• eriza verde burst
• red
• opaque
• natural back
• private stock stains
• tequila sunrise glow
• black
• goldtop

Finish
• V12
• nitro
• nitro matte

Signage
• 'forum' on TRC
• on cavity cover
• deck of cards
• numbered LE

Fretwire
• DGT

Hardware
• nickel
• gold
• hybrid

Knobs
• clear lampshades
• amber lampshades

I thought we had piezo in there to cover the "acoustic", and are there going to be any options on the case? :biggrin:

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
01-31-2013, 09:08 PM
Ok... a quick show of hands who would be in if we went with this:

DC22 (24.5" scale)
Narrow 408's
Piezo Stoptail or Trem Option
All Mahogany in Vintage cherry, Natural Burst, Charcoal, Opaque White, or Goldtop with dark-back
Mexican Blackwood fretboard
Santana Headstock
Pattern, Santana, or Wide/Thin neck carve
Phase 3 tuners
Custom inlay (something simple... not expensive, that can be exported)

justmund
01-31-2013, 09:15 PM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;46070']Ok... a quick show of hands who would be in if we went with this:

DC22 (24.5" scale)
Narrow 408's x 3
All Mahogany in Vintage cherry, Natural Burst, Charcoal, Opaque White, or Goldtop with dark-back
Santana Headstock
Phase 3 tuners
Add that 3rd 408 and I'm in like Flynn

Mike Duncan
01-31-2013, 09:16 PM
I like that! Trem and Goldtop? Yes.

jfb
01-31-2013, 09:32 PM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;46070']Ok... a quick show of hands who would be in if we went with this:

DC22 (24.5" scale)
Narrow 408's
Santana Headstock
Phase 3 tuners

In.

AP515
01-31-2013, 09:39 PM

DC22 (24.5" scale)
Narrow 408's
Santana Headstock
Phase 3 tuners

I'd prefer the regular headstock, but I'm in either way. Vintage Cherry and the stoptail for me.

hippietim
01-31-2013, 09:49 PM

DC22 (24.5" scale)
Narrow 408's
Santana Headstock
Phase 3 tuners

Count me out.

aduayer
01-31-2013, 10:05 PM
Please, stop tail and no piezo option
No maple top nor rosewood neck options took me by surprise, but you can count me in, depending on the price

cjmwrx
01-31-2013, 10:05 PM

DC22 (24.5" scale)
Narrow 408's
Santana Headstock
Phase 3 tuners

Are we talking about the strat style body or the Santana style?

An AA Maple top would be a nice option, and keep price down.

EIRW neck option as well. Or Maple is cost is the concern.

Would prefer to have a full humbucker option. That way we can change PUPs without routing out the body if we prefer.

If it is the Santana body, definitely in on the basic design.

Headstock inlay would look great "PRS FORUM" with outline birds on rosewood would look nice and clean.

iahawk36
01-31-2013, 10:07 PM

DC22 (24.5" scale)
Narrow 408's
Santana Headstock
Phase 3 tuners

I'm in

veinbuster
02-01-2013, 09:46 AM

DC22 (24.5" scale)
Narrow 408's
Santana Headstock
Phase 3 tuners
Ok

watelessness
02-02-2013, 01:51 PM
I forgot to mention this before: all tuners should be locking.

docbennett
02-02-2013, 02:13 PM
I forgot to mention this before: all tuners should be locking.

I want to know how many people have spent an hour or more cursing out loud at they tried to get those vintage "winged" tuners to lock so that the string could tighten. For some reason...sometimes they would work right away....and sometimes the high E and B strings just wouldn't take...no matter what I did. I love the locking tuners that only require you to thread a hole and screw in the top.

sergiodeblanc
02-02-2013, 02:25 PM
I want to know how many people have spent an hour or more cursing out loud at they tried to get those vintage "winged" tuners to lock so that the string could tighten. For some reason...sometimes they would work right away....and sometimes the high E and B strings just wouldn't take...no matter what I did. I love the locking tuners that only require you to thread a hole and screw in the top.

I want those same people to know my home address, I run a home for wayward winged tuners.

veinbuster
02-02-2013, 02:34 PM
I want those same people to know my home address, I run a home for wayward winged tuners.

Excellent. I like them, though I'm not putting them on new guitars.

Dirty Bob
02-02-2013, 02:41 PM

Doc...I've never had an issue with any of mine like what you are talking about....you put the string through....hold your finger on the wing and tune it up until it locks...I love em.

docbennett
02-02-2013, 03:14 PM
Doc...I've never had an issue with any of mine like what you are talking about....you put the string through....hold your finger on the wing and tune it up until it locks...I love em.

When it worked, it was great. But...for some strange reason...sometimes I would do this and it just wouldn't get any torque....you'd try to wind the tuner and it would just keep slipping. And....when it finally "caught" and was able to tighten while winding...there was absolutely NOTHING to account for why it wasn't taking. It was probably my eye-hand coordination, (or lack of)....but then again, I remember getting emails for advice from friends who owned PRS who had the same complaint. And..to further validate my experiences....I've seen on this forum and on Ebay situations where even guitar techs couldn't figure it out...so they ended up winding the string around the shaft :dontknow::confused: and trying to tighten it the "traditional" way, totally bypassing the wing's slot. It would have been funny if it didn't stir up some of my own memories of futility.

AP515
02-02-2013, 03:36 PM
When it worked, it was great. But...for some strange reason...sometimes I would do this and it just wouldn't get any torque....you'd try to wind the tuner and it would just keep slipping. And....when it finally "caught" and was able to tighten while winding...there was absolutely NOTHING to account for why it wasn't taking. It was probably my eye-hand coordination, (or lack of)....but then again, I remember getting emails for advice from friends who owned PRS who had the same complaint. And..to further validate my experiences....I've seen on this forum and on Ebay situations where even guitar techs couldn't figure it out...so they ended up winding the string around the shaft :dontknow::confused: and trying to tighten it the "traditional" way, totally bypassing the wing's slot. It would have been funny if it didn't stir up some of my own memories of futility.

I don't mean to me silly or condesenting to please take with the best of intentions, but there are only 2 reasons the cam will not set against the string.

1. The operator is turning the tuner in the wrong direction (seems silly, but I have done it).

2. The string is not set completely in the groove.

If the string is in the right position, it simply is not possible for the cam to go more than 1 turn and not press it against the groove walls. I have had it go a number of turns and not "catch" the string and I have had to set the string again and then within one turn the cam will grab and it will work. It makes sense that it is the B and E strings as they are the smallest and hardest to set in the groove accurately.

docbennett
02-02-2013, 05:06 PM
I don't mean to me silly or condesenting to please take with the best of intentions, but there are only 2 reasons the cam will not set against the string.1. The operator is turning the tuner in the wrong direction (seems silly, but I have done it).2. The string is not set completely in the groove.If the string is in the right position, it simply is not possible for the cam to go more than 1 turn and not press it against the groove walls. I have had it go a number of turns and not "catch" the string and I have had to set the string again and then within one turn the cam will grab and it will work. It makes sense that it is the B and E strings as they are the smallest and hardest to set in the groove accurately.

Actually, your explanation is spot on. The issue in the past was exactly what I bolded and put in red above. However, after reading all the preceding, it is clearly a case of operator error and not machine error. :rolleyes:

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
02-02-2013, 11:27 PM

DC22 (24.5" scale)
Narrow 408's
Santana Headstock
Phase 3 tuners
Ok, that config only got 5 people fired up. Other suggestions got a similar response. As previously mentioned, nor we know wy PRS offers so many different models.

Any last thoughts before we deep six this discussion?

AP515
02-03-2013, 12:08 AM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;46785']Ok, that config only got 5 people fired up. Other suggestions got a similar response. As previously mentioned, nor we know wy PRS offers so many different models.

Maybe go at this another way. How many can commit to a price and then see how many options would be available in that price range. Then folks can order their favorite options from the price range allotted for the guitar. There will only be a few that can commit to a $5000 guitar but maybe there are enough who can commit to half that.

So we commit to an amount and then ask PRS what options would be available for the number of guitars that would be purchased at that price. I'm in for $2500 and I'll even be in at the Starla and Mira level if it means we can get enough people. Now show me the list of things to choose from. If we get enough people that choose from the options list we'll have a forum guitar.

VHTStark
02-03-2013, 12:16 AM
Ok, you all might think this is nuts....but I am going outside the box a little here. How about a new model; literally! My idea would be a PRS that can snap like a tele! I read they made a few long scale SC's in the private stock program; I bet it wouldn't be that hard to do!!

So:
25.25 or 25.5 scale
swamp ash or alder
SC or DC body shape (I am thinking the DC would be more popular)
Maple neck and board (bolt on?)
Stop tail....maybe even a 2tek bridge??
lots of p-up variations would be cool: 2 narrow 408's, 2 or 3 narrowfields, a bucker and a narrowfield....whatever we decide!
This would be unique, versatile, look cool and it would be very easy to keep the price manageable!

sergiodeblanc
02-03-2013, 01:05 AM
Santana shaped alder CE with Hum+single configuration, rosewood LTD inlays, and screw the price. Even if I can't afford it now, you always have to have something to look forward to.

LSchefman
02-03-2013, 03:01 AM
Idea:

A peruvian mahogany ping pong paddle with a brazilian rosewood neck, old bird inlays, and an artist grade maple binding. Finished in nitro. In a paisley case with leather trim.

Admit it. You'd want it.

People here would snap it up even if they didn't play ping pong, as long as it didn't cost more than $2500. And they'd have a great time arguing about whether it should have an adjustable neck reinforcement, or graphite.

Hell, they'd buy a brazilian rosewood salad tossing set if it had birds and the option of maple handles, and hang the set on the wall in their houses, as long as it didn't have a truss rod cover with two screws.

If the Forum offered people a pocket knife with braz handles and an inlay, with a PRS signature, people here would be on it like white on rice. Guitars? Wellllll.....who can agree on that stuff? :)

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
02-03-2013, 04:10 AM
Idea:

A peruvian mahogany ping pong paddle with a brazilian rosewood neck, old bird inlays, and an artist grade maple binding. Finished in nitro. In a paisley case with leather trim.

Admit it. You'd want it.
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/70459_o.gif

crgtr
02-03-2013, 09:13 AM

DC22 (24.5" scale)
Narrow 408's
Santana Headstock
Phase 3 tuners
I could get behind this one. Just add the non-piezo stop-tail for me! Sounds like a near perfect guitar!

SuperFly53
02-03-2013, 10:55 AM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;46785']Ok, that config only got 5 people fired up. Other suggestions got a similar response. As previously mentioned, nor we know wy PRS offers so many different models.

I liked everything about it except the DC 22 body style. It needs to be the standard PRS body shape.... I think the Santana-esque shape is too far out of the box for us die hard PRS dudes. I personally can't get along with the short upper horn and where it puts the guitar while playing standing....

My 3 cents.....

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
02-03-2013, 12:24 PM
I liked everything about it except the DC 22 body style. It needs to be the standard PRS body shape.... I think the Santana-esque shape is too far out of the box for us die hard PRS dudes. I personally can't get along with the short upper horn and where it puts the guitar while playing standing....

My 3 cents.....
It's a good point, Norm. But the 22 fret neck doesn't extend as far from the body as it does on the Santana and West Street Limited - changing that very detail.

It's better balanced and compact. Like a sawed-off shotgun!

cjmwrx
02-03-2013, 01:47 PM

My 3 cents.....

If you really think about it, that is a standard PRS body shape. Carlos has been with Paul since the beginning. I remember seeing a Whale Blue Santana Quilt in a Guitar World Magazine in 1986 or 87 and I fell in love.

guitarsong
02-04-2013, 03:18 PM
I'm in.

Danerada
02-04-2013, 03:26 PM
Oh man!!!! If only I had the cabbage!!!!! What you have described here is my DREAM GUITAR !!!! Man now I am sad sad sad.....

Good luck guys. I hope you can pull this off. I look forward to seeing this become a reality!

Dirty Bob
02-04-2013, 04:10 PM
sounds pretty cool...I've never tried the narrow 408's. I might want more finish options. Hans what were you thinking in terms of the inlay? Single Bird, dragon, or knot?

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
02-05-2013, 04:36 PM
Production double-neck? A 6 and a 12?

hippietim
02-05-2013, 05:04 PM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;47552']Production double-neck? A 6 and a 12?

In.

docbennett
02-05-2013, 05:06 PM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;47552']Production double-neck? A 6 and a 12?

While you're at it, put a piezo on the 6, since they won't do it for a 12.

rugerpc
02-05-2013, 05:22 PM

As long as it's just a dream, both the 6 and 12 are piezo ... FR Trems ... With roland. And platimum hardware. And it only weighs as much as a single neck hollowbody.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
02-05-2013, 05:26 PM

I don't think "won't" is the right verbiage. Cant?

12-string bridges are amazing. The intonation is adjusted for each string which is one of the reasons people love them. They would have a pretty tough time getting 12 piezo elements onto those saddles. I'm not saying it isn't possible but it certainly isn't available (today).

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd272/hansomatic/Collection/PRS_Archtop_Artist_12-String_Bridge.jpg

docbennett
02-05-2013, 05:41 PM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;47572']I don't think "won't" is the right verbiage. Cant?

12-string bridges are amazing. The intonation is adjusted for each string which is one of the reasons people love them. They would have a pretty tough time getting 12 piezo elements onto those saddles. I'm not saying it isn't possible but it certainly isn't available (today).

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd272/hansomatic/Collection/PRS_Archtop_Artist_12-String_Bridge.jpg

I meant to say "can't". I was really psyched to build a PS CU-24 with 12 string and piezo, but that came crashing down to earth at 8 AM yesterday morning. I do understand that it is a "they would if they could" situation; not a refusal to do it by any means.

Tim
02-06-2013, 06:19 AM
How about a Swamp Ash Spesh, 2-piece body, H-H config, Maple Neck and board with black outline birds. Special forum headstock novelty........No finish on body.

That would keep the production costs down low...... THEN each guitar comes with a $500 PTC credit, and we all mod to suit!! :)

Could change p-ups, colors, fretboard, inlays, fix the term whatever you want, add your own $$ if you want for something crazy!! Send it to someone for a Metal Paint job or a bowling ball swirl then back to PTC for set up who knows......... Send your body all around the world to be signed by forumites, the back to PTC for the clear coat..... Who knows!!

Have a sticky thread and keep track of them all!!

Would be a cool ad for the PTC too!!

Dirty Bob
02-06-2013, 07:33 AM
How about a Swamp Ash Spesh, 2-piece body, H-H config, Maple Neck and board with black outline birds. Special forum headstock novelty........No finish on body.

That would keep the production costs down low...... THEN each guitar comes with a $500 PTC credit, and we all mod to suit!! :)

Could change p-ups, colors, fretboard, inlays, fix the term whatever you want, add your own $$ if you want for something crazy!! Send it to someone for a Metal Paint job or a bowling ball swirl then back to PTC for set up who knows......... Send your body all around the world to be signed by forumites, the back to PTC for the clear coat..... Who knows!!

Have a sticky thread and keep track of them all!!

Would be a cool ad for the PTC too!!

Great idea Tim!

Boogie
02-06-2013, 10:55 AM
...THEN each guitar comes with a $500 PTC credit, and we all mod to suit!! :)

Now THAT'S a great idea! (and I think the hair on the back of Shawn's neck just raised in fear ;))

veinbuster
02-06-2013, 11:32 AM
Great idea Tim!

Sure is. I love swamp ash and the PTC credit is an excellent path to some personalization.

hippietim
02-06-2013, 11:35 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5169EVQVX7L.jpg

jfb
02-06-2013, 02:31 PM
Sure is. I love swamp ash and the PTC credit is an excellent path to some personalization.

We are certainly on to something here.

LSchefman
02-06-2013, 02:38 PM
You guys are so totally missing the boat, here.

Just choose a regular model, and have PRS paint it paisley, ship it in a paisley case, and include a paisley T-shirt, hat, socks, underwear and strap. Hans may want to skip the socks, but he could always opt for an extra T-shirt.

Better yet, make the paisley finish available to forum members only on any model, and let people scramble to get on board. That way, everyone gets the guitar they want, only it's paisley. Special. Forum. Paisley.

Private stock guys could get a paisley inlay.

I still like my ping pong paddle idea, maybe if the striking surface of the paddle was paisley, you guys would like it better. ;)

docbennett
02-06-2013, 03:04 PM
You guys are so totally missing the boat, here.

Uh oh.......

http://kevin.lexblog.com/files/2012/03/missed-the-boat-social-media.jpg (http://kevin.lexblog.com/2012/03/19/wheres-the-social-in-this-social-media/)

Just choose a regular model, and have PRS paint it paisley,

So, you like these, I guess???

http://www.elisaguercio.com/images/fashion/pink/pink_paisley_guitar.jpg (http://www.nyspender.com/2009_06_01_archive.html)

http://www.richiesamborastrat.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/richie-sambora-paisley-strat.jpg

(http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&docid=FGwUz7DQ4ylSWM&tbnid=U24pmfV41VNb3M:&ved=0CAgQjRwwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.richiesamborastrat.com%2Frich ie-sambora-paisley-strat%2F&ei=U7gSUcGPBoW_0QGO_4DIAQ&psig=AFQjCNG6xQAhQGogyx11m9KZrV8l02V7Sg&ust=1360267731137599)http://www.blueskyguitars.com/images/68_paisley_tele_038_resize.jpg (http://www.blueskyguitars.com/photo_2.html)

(http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&docid=FGwUz7DQ4ylSWM&tbnid=U24pmfV41VNb3M:&ved=0CAgQjRwwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.richiesamborastrat.com%2Frich ie-sambora-paisley-strat%2F&ei=U7gSUcGPBoW_0QGO_4DIAQ&psig=AFQjCNG6xQAhQGogyx11m9KZrV8l02V7Sg&ust=1360267731137599)http://static.flickr.com/49/151498221_5420c36528.jpg (http://forums.meez.com/forums/suggestions/1470976-brad-paisleys-guitar.html)

Tim
02-06-2013, 03:35 PM

The Bolt-on body/neck also lends itself to being 'messed' with and shipping pieces around teh country... world.... universe etc!

veinbuster
02-06-2013, 04:25 PM
The Bolt-on body/neck also lends itself to being 'messed' with and shipping pieces around teh country... world.... universe etc!

And I'll bet PTC will paisley it.

Dirty Bob
02-06-2013, 04:30 PM
Bring on the paisley!

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
02-06-2013, 04:34 PM
Paisley inlay? :cheers:

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
02-06-2013, 05:58 PM
Ok boys... What if we went with Tim's suggestion and specified a "Blank Canvas" guitar, such that you could keep it as is (cheaper) or have it PTC modified (for those who want something unique)?

All we would have to do is choose a body wood (Swamp Ash was suggested), a neck wood (maple was suggested), a headstock shape, and an inlay. From there we would want to choose the pickups routing that would be least invasive so people could modify the pups via PTC.

So if we specified a bolt-on maple necked SAS with a single NF in the bridge, you could do just about anything. Just leave the common element alone to identify it as a Forum guitar. That common element, to me, would be a unique inlay.

Thoughts?

hippietim
02-06-2013, 06:05 PM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;47926']Ok boys... What if we went with Tim's suggestion and specified a "Blank Canvas" guitar, such that you could keep it as is (cheaper) or have it PTC modified (for those who want something unique)?

All we would have to do is choose a body wood (Swamp Ash was suggested), a neck wood (maple was suggested), a headstock shape, and an inlay. From there we would want to choose the pickups routing that would be least invasive so people could modify the pups via PTC.

So if we specified a bolt-on maple necked SAS with a single NF in the bridge, you could do just about anything. Just leave the common element alone to identify it as a Forum guitar. That common element, to me, would be a unique inlay.

Thoughts?

That sounds like what the PTC is doing for me right now :)

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
02-06-2013, 06:14 PM
That sounds like what the PTC is doing for me right now :)

I get it!

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd272/hansomatic/Collection/Raven/IMG_0003.jpg

justmund
02-06-2013, 06:39 PM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;47926']Ok boys... What if we went with Tim's suggestion and specified a "Blank Canvas" guitar, such that you could keep it as is (cheaper) or have it PTC modified (for those who want something unique)?

Thoughts?
This is a great idea!

Another consideration is basing it off the NF3/Brent Mason platform, swimming pool route the body, so changes at the PTC can be made easily/cheaply (by CNC cutting a pickguard, instead of routing the actual guitar)

I like guitars with pickguards, but some people hate them.

I've said before a unique inlay would be great (but no words for me) but I'm not keen on a unique headstock, classic PRS for me.

end 2 cents.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
02-06-2013, 06:56 PM
This is a great idea!

Another consideration is basing it off the NF3/Brent Mason platform, swimming pool route the body, so changes at the PTC can be made easily/cheaply (by CNC cutting a pickguard, instead of routing the actual guitar)

I like guitars with pickguards, but some people hate them.

I've said before a unique inlay would be great (but no words for me) but I'm not keen on a unique headstock, classic PRS for me.

end 2 cents.Brilliant! Someone get a poll going.

Tim
02-07-2013, 02:02 AM
H-H is pretty handy as a p-up combo... probably what 80% of peple will choose and most PRS eleccs cater to that.

P-ups: 57/08's, 59/09s, DGT's?? I like all 3 of those. The 57/08 amy not be everybodies #1.... but most people woudl agree they are a great p-up and are a general crowd pleaser!!

I like SAS switching, but I think McCarty/ME switching may be a good idea as people can switch between McCarty an 5-Way Rotary with minimal disturbance. Again, it might not be everyone's #1 choice but would satisfy most

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
02-07-2013, 02:09 AM
I'm cooking up a design based on your idea, Timmy. I think it will work. I need to crash (midnight here) but I'll try to get to it tomorrow.

Tim
02-07-2013, 02:13 AM
Yeah man, it is tricky... sometimes it is best to find the compromise, not always the favourite..... The fave neck carve would be faught out between wide/fat and wide/thin.... As many people have strong views on those carves. Regular carve migh be in 3rd or 4th spot.... BUT maybe that 'inbetween choice' woudl be acceptable to both parties???

Plus.... I like Regular carve!! :)

Tim
02-07-2013, 02:14 AM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;48026']I'm cooking up a design based on your idea, Timmy. I think it will work. I need to crash (midnight here) but I'll try to get to it tomorrow.

Don't rush man.... the playing around is half the fun!!!

Tim
02-07-2013, 02:19 AM

Thoughts?

Maybe a headstock, PS-esque eagle holding a banner with "PRS Forum" dunno.... just thinking out loud!!

I am enjoying this!!

aduayer
02-07-2013, 07:02 AM

Thoughts?

Just loved this idea really. The best so far, at least for me. count me in. we can have an exclusive instrument, fine tuned to our needs and with the same DNA.
Swamp Ash body, figured maple neck, maple fingerboard, 22 frets, pattern fat carve and I would go with the 408 pick up configuration, but the PTC thing can solve any of those small details.
I have no idea nor preferences for the inlays, but once again, count me in.

WEDGE
02-07-2013, 07:23 AM
I might be in as long as the pickups are changeable, 408's are a no-go for me.

hippietim
02-07-2013, 07:47 AM

FYI, the NF3 is not a swimming pool route - I'm not sure about the Brent Mason. Here's my NF3 at the PTC:
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa370/hippietim/Guitars/PRS%20NF3%20PTC/temporary_zpsc722b70f.jpg

hippietim
02-07-2013, 07:50 AM
I like the idea of basing the guitar on the NF3/Brent Mason model. I know *exactly* what I would have the PTC do to it. In fact, depending on what the forum guitar ends up being I may grab another NF3 and do it anyhow.

south89
02-07-2013, 10:37 AM

DC22 (24.5" scale)
Narrow 408's
Santana Headstock
Phase 3 tuners

Hans- I like the idea but I have to agree with others on here and say that the regular PRS body would be the ideal and probably most pleasing to everyone that was interested. Other than that this has my interest because I don't have I Piezo equipped guitar yet.

rugerpc
02-07-2013, 11:30 AM
I have been watching and poking a little fun here and there, but that does not mean that I'm not interested.

First and foremost, any non-optional materials used must be exportable. So, requiring members to sign on for BRW anywhere on the guitar is a non-starter.

Second, there are sooooo many dissenting opinions on virtually all the specs, that we need to first agree on a base model and PUP configuration. We'll be lucky to get enough people to commit to this thing to get PRS interested without barraging them with so many options.

The body and PUP configuration (layout) is the place where we do all have to agree. After that, if we get enough people committing, and the factory is interested, I don't see a problem with people specifying their favorite pups, electronics, necks and finishes from a pool of options compatible with the basic body/PUP configuration we choose. Changes enhancing the base guitar wold be the responsibility of the individual member.

We also need a unifying inlay that is available only to forum members. Have a look at this post: We need ideas like this one (http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?3010-PRS-Forum-Merch/page2) post 33

I have a poll started here for the body: The Body Basics (http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?3190-The-quot-Forum-Guitar-quot-body-the-most-basic-aspect).

LSchefman
02-07-2013, 12:06 PM
So, you like these, I guess???

http://www.elisaguercio.com/images/fashion/pink/pink_paisley_guitar.jpg (http://www.nyspender.com/2009_06_01_archive.html)

http://www.richiesamborastrat.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/richie-sambora-paisley-strat.jpg

(http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&docid=FGwUz7DQ4ylSWM&tbnid=U24pmfV41VNb3M:&ved=0CAgQjRwwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.richiesamborastrat.com%2Frich ie-sambora-paisley-strat%2F&ei=U7gSUcGPBoW_0QGO_4DIAQ&psig=AFQjCNG6xQAhQGogyx11m9KZrV8l02V7Sg&ust=1360267731137599)http://www.blueskyguitars.com/images/68_paisley_tele_038_resize.jpg (http://www.blueskyguitars.com/photo_2.html)

(http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&docid=FGwUz7DQ4ylSWM&tbnid=U24pmfV41VNb3M:&ved=0CAgQjRwwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.richiesamborastrat.com%2Frich ie-sambora-paisley-strat%2F&ei=U7gSUcGPBoW_0QGO_4DIAQ&psig=AFQjCNG6xQAhQGogyx11m9KZrV8l02V7Sg&ust=1360267731137599)http://static.flickr.com/49/151498221_5420c36528.jpg (http://forums.meez.com/forums/suggestions/1470976-brad-paisleys-guitar.html)

Always have.

My soul was psychedelicized.

docbennett
02-07-2013, 12:34 PM
Always have.

Well OK then....I was just beginning to think that Brad Paisley was one of your numerous Highlander identities. :o

:)

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
02-07-2013, 01:02 PM
I still wanna see some Paisley inlay.

LSchefman
02-07-2013, 01:54 PM
Well OK then....I was just beginning to think that Brad Paisley was one of your numerous Highlander identities. :o

:)

Nah, just came of age during the 60s is all.

justmund
02-07-2013, 04:31 PM
FYI, the NF3 is not a swimming pool route - I'm not sure about the Brent Mason. Here's my NF3 at the PTC:
Ah now I know what the inside of my NF3 looks like (I was about to crack it tonight anyway to put in a treble bleed cap). Thanks!

I did assume as such, I was thinking if we can get a run of 30/40/50/60/whatever the number ends up being, we'd be in a position to get a special forum pool route, to cater for everyone's tastes (H/H, S/S/S, S/S/H, H/S/H, 408/408, 408/408/408...)

guitarsong
02-07-2013, 04:44 PM
Brent Mason based super strat would be cool.

WEDGE
02-07-2013, 05:24 PM
Always have.

Also a big fan of paisley guitars

VHTStark
02-07-2013, 07:14 PM

Thoughts?

Like this! Good ideas!

Rodicus
02-07-2013, 09:21 PM
How about a limited run of SE 7's. Black with PRS FORUM inlay at 12th fret. No other inlays. PRSh signature on headstock with SE truss rod cover. Special gig bag included as well. :rock:

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
02-08-2013, 01:44 AM
I think a carved-top PRS body (not a flat top like the NF3) with a swimming-pool route and a wood pickguard like this one would be amazing.

Can you imagine a maple fretboard with a maple pickguard like this one on a guitar?

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd272/hansomatic/Collection/Gone/GraingerBassBody.jpg

aduayer
02-08-2013, 05:49 AM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;48338']I think a carved-top PRS body (not a flat top like the NF3) with a swimming-pool route and a wood pickguard like this one would be amazing.

Can you imagine a maple fretboard with a maple pickguard like this one on a guitar?

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd272/hansomatic/Collection/Gone/GraingerBassBody.jpg
Maple pickguard is a nice touch.

justmund
02-09-2013, 03:47 PM
I dig it, something totally different to all other PRSes too

Boogie
03-06-2013, 08:24 AM
Also a big fan of paisley guitars
It appears that CRGTR has proven your passion attainable. A paisley print SE245 soapie would be just fine with me. (OK, adding 20th anni birds would be acceptable too):proud:

Audie
03-06-2013, 12:44 PM
It appears that CRGTR has proven your passion attainable. A paisley print SE245 soapie would be just fine with me. (OK, adding 20th anni birds would be acceptable too):proud:

+1 , for paisley SE with the Paisley TRC. The timing of the paisley TRC, the PTC paisley covered SE and the pursuit of a forum guitar come together from various threads on the FORUM . It was meant to be, Let's do it !

crgtr
03-06-2013, 01:16 PM
+1 , for paisley SE with the Paisley TRC. The timing of the paisley TRC, the PTC paisley covered SE and the pursuit of a forum guitar come together from various threads on the FORUM . It was meant to be, Let's do it !

The time of "The Paisley" is now.......Make it so #1

veinbuster
03-06-2013, 02:05 PM
The time of "The Paisley" is now.......Make it so #1

Yeah.

justmund
03-06-2013, 05:03 PM
This is starting to sound promising. I don't want to make this any more difficult, but I think this needs to be opened up to the floor:

The cheapest way to do this is to:

-Pick one SE model
-Agree on mods (if any)
-Get it covered in black paisley
-Get the forum TRC put on there
-This becomes the "forum guitar"

The advantage is this can be like a "production run" within the PTC, all the paisley blanks are the same (templates can be made), which I assume would go a long way to reducing the cost. Same deal with the mods (if any). The disadvantage, as evident by the lack of traction so far on this project, is it will be very difficult to come to a decision, and no doubt the end product (if there is one) will be a deal breaker for several members.

Another option is:

-Open it up to all SE models (or maybe one or 3, a SC, a DC and "The One")
-Get it covered in black paisley
-Get the forum TRC on there

This becomes the Forum Guitar LE Series.

Slightly higher cost due to several templates (or even all custom cuts on the paisley) but a bit more catering to the masses.

What you do after this point is up to you, pickup swaps/adds, hardware upgrades, refinishes on the back etc. This will obviously become a little more difficult to manage, but maybe Shawn could make up a special forum guitar order sheet, with some limited choices that we all agree on.

Thoughts?

Boogie
03-06-2013, 05:14 PM
If the paisley design can be translated to an appliqué and over sprayed, this might be produceable. But I'm betting that Shawn is crapping a small woodland creature with the thought of creating a few dozen of Chris' beauty. That does not look like it was easy or easily duplicated. Otherwise, maybe reducing the guitar options to 2 models...all SE...and the "forum" mods, could become realistic. Affordable for more people and minimally invasive for PRS.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
03-06-2013, 05:21 PM
If the paisley design can be translated to an appliqué and over sprayed, this might be produceable. But I'm betting that Shawn is crapping a small woodland creature with the thought of creating a few dozen of Chris' beauty. That does not look like it was easy or easily duplicated. Otherwise, maybe reducing the guitar options to 2 models...all SE...and the "forum" mods, could become realistic. Affordable for more people and minimally invasive for PRS.
So a bear and a rabbit were pooping the woods.

The bear looks over at the rabbit and says "Hey there little bunny. Do you ever have trouble with poop sticking to your fur?"

The bunny, bewildered by the odd nature of this question, just shook his head (no).

So the bear giggles, picks him up, wipes his ass, and walks away.

Shawn@PRS
03-06-2013, 05:33 PM
I'm betting that Shawn is crapping a small woodland creature with the thought of creating a few dozen of Chris' beauty. That does not look like it was easy or easily duplicated.

If you got the money honey, I got the time

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
03-06-2013, 05:40 PM
If you got the money honey, I got the time

Axle Rose said something very similar once - and probably more accurate. At least, for me. :D

Egads
03-19-2013, 02:53 PM
Black Paisley One or a Black Paisley SE SC Soapbar! Or both. Here! Take my money!

south89
03-19-2013, 03:18 PM
Black Paisley One or a Black Paisley SE SC Soapbar! Or both. Here! Take my money!

+1 when should I send the check and how long will it take to get here ?:flute:
:vroam::vroam:

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
04-03-2013, 11:32 PM
You know... the wood library program is open again.

Just sayin'.

aduayer
04-04-2013, 03:04 AM
I was thinking a lot about this project. how cool it will be if we could come up with the forum guitar.
I think it will be impossible to reach for a concept that pleases 100% everyone. so why don't the administrators come up with the specs and we vote for them?

watelessness
04-04-2013, 07:09 AM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;63852']You know... the wood library program is open again.

Just sayin'.

OH! OH! OH! Now we're talking! :cheers:

vchizzle
04-04-2013, 10:29 AM
At minimum it should a have a black paisley case and black paisley strap included.:top:

crgtr
04-04-2013, 11:36 AM
At minimum it should a have a black paisley case and black paisley strap included.:top:

I agree!!

watelessness
04-04-2013, 12:31 PM
...and a quilt top, maple neck, w/f carve, locking tuners, two-piece stoptail, and a paisley case. I'd hit <buy it now>

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
04-04-2013, 01:07 PM
Let me re-read all of the forum guitar threads (tonight) and propose the post popular requests along with the number of guitars that popular request might yield.

themike
04-04-2013, 01:08 PM
BOOM!

http://i50.tinypic.com/4ihths.jpg

jfb
04-04-2013, 03:07 PM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;63852']You know... the wood library program is open again.

Just sayin'.

:D

Indeed it should.