PDA

View Full Version : Trem arm bends

soundbee
01-25-2013, 07:36 AM
The standard trem arm that came w/ my cu24 seem very "parallel" to the body. It does have some angle - but not as much as my strat's arm. Are there differently angles bars available from the factory? If not, what's the best way to custom "bend" a stock bar (without breaking it)?

-kevin

justmund
01-25-2013, 07:56 AM
I don't think there's any different trem arms available from the factory. Is your trem sitting correctly? E.g. parallel and with a 1/16" or 1.6mm gap?

I'm not sure if the stock one is stainless steel or nickel plated steel (someone can confirm). Stainless does work harden but you should be able to put the short end in a vice (with some soft jaws), put something hollow over the long end (to give you more leverage) and give it a bend to open it up a little. If it's nickel plated there is a risk of the plating cracking off when you bend it.

Good luck!

soundbee
01-27-2013, 11:38 PM
Yes - the setup is correct - parallel w/ body, etc...

I'll give the vice a go - have got to go pick one up actually (now I've got a good excuse).
Good point on the tube for leverage. I just want the middle part tilted up a bit. The worst case if I f***up, I'll just need to get a new trem arm. Probably should have an extra one lying around anyways. ;-)