PDA

View Full Version : Why do you think a PRS guitar is the best?

Charlie
01-26-2013, 06:24 PM
So why is your PRS better than any other guitar you own?

John Beef
01-26-2013, 06:44 PM
In 2006 I went to a whole bunch of stores, tried a whole bunch of guitars, and the PRS I bought was the winner. It continues to be my main guitar and unsurpassed by any instrument I have owned or played since then.

Pretty simple!

Mikegarveyblues
01-26-2013, 07:08 PM
In 2006 I went to a whole bunch of stores, tried a whole bunch of guitars, and the PRS I bought was the winner.

Pretty simple!

+1

I had a price range... Tried a lot of guitars in that range and got the Bernie. Nothing compared, not even close (Unless I spent 400 more notes!).

LSchefman
01-26-2013, 09:58 PM
For my tastes, PRS has raised the bar on the electric guitar beyond expectations in every important category: tone, playability, innovation, and quality.

sleary
01-26-2013, 10:28 PM
Playability , versatility and quality. Almost like it was a guitar especially made for me. I've tried the rest, now I play the best.

Hopeful Sinner
01-26-2013, 11:56 PM
It's really a simple answer to a complex equation... PRS produce a diverse range of instruments at the highest quality across all demographics. You will not find a guitar in the current market that meets the standards of it's PRS counterpart from the SE line to the Core/Signature production models and all the way up to Private Stock. The craftsmanship, attention to detail and artistry can not be matched when comparing apples to apples, so to speak...

Twinfan
01-27-2013, 03:46 AM
I *THINK* it's the best, because it *IS* the best

veinbuster
01-27-2013, 07:37 AM
They were the first with consistent enough quality that my wife could just run out and get one she liked - so they are best because I don' t have to pay.

Charlie
01-27-2013, 08:00 AM
The guitars are beautiful to behold (I own 2) and plan to buy either Paul's guitar or a 408, but do they really sound or play that much different than a $1,000 Gibson? I just bought a Gibson LPJ for $600 and spent hours comparing sound and feel to my 1994 Custom 24 ($3,000+) I really hate to say it, but they compare favorably. Maybe it's like comparing a Ferrari and a Corvette, both great cars, but one is for the masses and the other for those who are willing to pay (I've owned a Ferrari and a Corvette so I'm speaking from experience).

So again, why is the PRS the best you own? If its for their beauty only, that's ok.

vchizzle
01-27-2013, 10:08 AM
The guitars are beautiful to behold (I own 2) and plan to buy either Paul's guitar or a 408, but do they really sound or play that much different than a $1,000 Gibson? I just bought a Gibson LPJ for $600 and spent hours comparing sound and feel to my 1994 Custom 24 ($3,000+) I really hate to say it, but they compare favorably. Maybe it's like comparing a Ferrari and a Corvette, both great cars, but one is for the masses and the other for those who are willing to pay (I've owned a Ferrari and a Corvette so I'm speaking from experience).

So again, why is the PRS the best you own? If its for their beauty only, that's ok.
You must've gotten lucky. Finding a good Les Paul that has the "it" factor usually takes forever...and then you hope it stays in tune and everything else works on it. Beauty is only skin deep(but is what 1st attracted me to PRS). The guitar has to function properly and be consistent. They feel perfect in my hands. Most importantly it has to inspire. I can find many PRS hanging on the wall in a store that fit those descriptions.

Charlie
01-27-2013, 10:43 AM
Inspire - nicely said. That goes beyond the look and sound - it gives us the inspiration to create, to have fun too!

With all the electronics now, basically any electric guitar can sound great. So maybe PRS are so good is more because of their look and feel; how they make us feel when we hold and play them?

Thoughts?

Charlie
01-27-2013, 10:46 AM
Me too - The 1st PRS I bought was because I loved the way it looked.

Herr Squid
01-27-2013, 10:52 AM
It doesn't hurt that they're beautiful!

The look and the Guitar Player review in 86(?) that I read as a poor college student gave me something to aspire to. When I first looked at one, I was immediately impressed by the design and the thought that had gone into improving the tuners and bridge over the other guitars that I'd seen. When I plugged a PRS in, I played and sounded better than on my other guitars. They feel better in my hands than a Gibson or a Fender, I'm just used to the way that they play, and I love the way the controls work.

LSchefman
01-27-2013, 12:29 PM

Charlie, to a degree I think you're just baiting a hook here.

Unless you're a very inexperienced player, you know darn well that PRSes sound different from Gibsons, and are sonically more versatile than your LPJ.

Gibsons are fine guitars; I've had a bunch going from the mid 60s to recent Custom Shop models. They do different things. And they feel different. This you're well aware of, no doubt. And you know that in terms of price, Gibbys that are comparable to PRSes are as expensive, or more expensive. And I've seen Gibbys that look great, too.

It isn't a case of which guitar is somehow better; it's a case of which you prefer to play, and that choice can be made for reasons that have very little to do with the look of the guitar.

Sorry, but I'm not buying your premise. You want to compare your LPJ and what it can do sonically, and say it does the same thing as a PRS, and that just isn't the case. They do different things. Apples to oranges. Personal preference.

And I've got car racing experience; they all feel different and handle differently. Again, personal choice. Want to drag race from corner to corner and don't mind a little fear factor in the turns? Corvettes are fun and the air conditioning is more effective. ;) Want to take a different line? Might have an easier time cornering the Ferrari.

gush
01-27-2013, 12:36 PM
I own 3 prs guitars. All three sound different but they all play very well and produce tones that are very pleasing. The pickups are very balanced and they are comfortable to play. Even though playing music is a hobby its also my passion. I would never say that Im a great guitar player however I strive to improve my skills every day. When I strap on a prs guitar, I know that part of the equation is solved. That means a lot to me. I have a LP but choose not to gig with it. It has good tone but it goes out of tune and it just doesnt fit me.

A drummer friend of mine has a gibson es335 that just sounds wonderful, I would buy it in a heart beat but he wont sell it. So there are other guitars that do it but thats trying to solve a problem that has been fixed with prs guitars. My cu24 has a top that I could just stare at for hours. It is just plain beautiful! I gigged with it last night and it performed as expected, again. So,will I buy another guitar? You bet! Just cant decide which prs model I need next!

Charlie
01-27-2013, 12:50 PM
To a certain extent I am baiting the hook. My intent is to solicit "gut" feedback. Sort of "what do you really think regardless of the price paid". Do I love and think my PRS is the best because I paid $3k and its beautiful or is it "really"better? would we feel the same way if we paid $600 and it was ugly? Would we admit the $600 guitar sound better even if it looked like crap? I suppose that's really the question. Kinda makes you think.

LSchefman
01-27-2013, 01:31 PM
To a certain extent I am baiting the hook. My intent is to solicit "gut" feedback. Sort of "what do you really think regardless of the price paid". Do I love and think my PRS is the best because I paid $3k and its beautiful or is it "really"better?

As I said, "better" is whatever's best for a given player. When it comes to instruments, I honestly think it comes down to whatever is inspiring, or works best for that player, under that player's circumstances.

I mean, could you really say to Bonamassa or EJ, "You know, a PRS would be better for you?" They've made other decisions that obviously work for them. In fact, I know that Bonamassa has invested heavily in vintage LPs that far exceed the cost of any PRS.

But by the same token, I can certainly play a bunch of guitars and have an intuitive understanding of what works best -- for me, under my unique set of circumstances. No one can make that choice for someone else. That's going to depend on the player. As it should!

would we feel the same way if we paid $600 and it was ugly? Would we admit the $600 guitar sound better even if it looked like crap? I suppose that's really the question. Kinda makes you think.

The answer to that question depends on a person's personality, and how honest one can be with one's self, doesn't it?

A player who actually prefers the sound of the $600 guitar, but won't admit it to protect his or her ego, well...I can honestly say I'm not that guy.

As with many things in life, there's a law of diminishing returns. The cost of some goods increases exponentially as subtle "extras" of various kinds come into play, and for many, those extras aren't worth the price of admission. For some, they are. That's the only place I think price properly comes into the equation when it comes to an instrument.

If the $600 guitar was every bit as good -- for me -- as the $3000 guitar (and I'm not including looks because to me that's the icing, not the cake), there is no way on earth I'd spend the 3 Gs. No way. I'd feel really foolish.

I honestly think that the people on this forum are for the most part thoughtful, intelligent folks. There don't seem to be a lot of suckers in the bunch, yet we share a common interest in PRS. I'm guessing there are as many reasons for that as there are players. YMMV.

swede71
01-27-2013, 07:59 PM
I love the design of the Custom.Feels great playing both sitting or standing.The weight is good.Great necks.For me it a real workhorse guitar.A good quality product!

newfmp3
01-27-2013, 08:10 PM
Playability and Quality is why I love my PRS...and it just sounds great.

I live in a remote area and getting my hands on really good guitars is impossible unless I order them online and just take a chance. Not exactly ideal. Trying Gibsons seeme like it would take quite a few before I got a good one. I am not wealthy so for me to get 3-4k togther for a guitar was a big freakin deal. I felt safer ordering PRS due to such a good rep for quality. If I did not LOVE my PRS it would have been sent back. If there wasn't something special about it that did not justify the cost.....I am not crazy or stupid, it would be returned.

BostonGuitar
01-27-2013, 11:16 PM
Mojo/consistency/quality/versatility/reliability/playability/comfort/TONE

slang05
01-28-2013, 12:34 AM
Mojo/consistency/quality/versatility/reliability/playability/comfort/TONE

Ditto! LOL!!

themike
01-28-2013, 11:31 AM
- Best quality woods while going through great lengths to obtain them legally

- Most versatile and superior tone in new instruments

- Best attention to detail on a production guitar

- Most innovative and aggresive research and development for electronics and components
- Nicest, most talented yet humble employees ever

- The face of the company - Paul - and his story of building an empire in the late hours of the day in his bedroom to one of the largest maufacturers of guitars today while also still being involved in the company. He even PLAYS GUITAR!

- PTC - the ability to have work done by the people who made the guitar is amazing. Skitchy is a ninja, Len is an evil genious and Scotty B I think is just one with the wood at a level none of us could comprehend.

- Annual Experience / Clinics - the fact that PRS cares enough to throw an amazing event for us. They could run a sale if they only wanted to move units

- Insisting to use dealers - while at the end of the day, using dealers costs us more per product than a factory dircet operation and probably costs PRS, I dont mind because PRS has some of the most amazing dealers I have ever met from getting you a guitar, fixing it, dealing with warranty work to even calling in a favor to get you something that might not normally be available. I appreciate this.

- Listening to their customers - things that the company can do within their powers to take our advice are done. New artist pack? New production birds? Production 408s? Standard maple series guitars? DGT/Tremonti in the artist pack? Done across the board within a year or two of people asking.

- Shawn/James - its great to be on here and have representation by the company in a capacity where they can not only help with PRS issues, but they participate in our small talk and general conversations as friends.

TAJ
01-28-2013, 12:18 PM
I think this pretty much sums it up for me as well!! In the end, it's not just about the guitars, it's the people who represent them. The whole PRS family vibe that they have created just makes you feel like you are a part of something more than just owning an great instrument.
- Best quality woods while going through great lengths to obtain them legally

- Most versatile and superior tone in new instruments

- Best attention to detail on a production guitar

- Most innovative and aggresive research and development for electronics and components
- Nicest, most talented yet humble employees ever

- The face of the company - Paul - and his story of building an empire in the late hours of the day in his bedroom to one of the largest maufacturers of guitars today while also still being involved in the company. He even PLAYS GUITAR!

- PTC - the ability to have work done by the people who made the guitar is amazing. Skitchy is a ninja, Len is an evil genious and Scotty B I think is just one with the wood at a level none of us could comprehend.

- Annual Experience / Clinics - the fact that PRS cares enough to throw an amazing event for us. They could run a sale if they only wanted to move units

- Insisting to use dealers - while at the end of the day, using dealers costs us more per product than a factory dircet operation and probably costs PRS, I dont mind because PRS has some of the most amazing dealers I have ever met from getting you a guitar, fixing it, dealing with warranty work to even calling in a favor to get you something that might not normally be available. I appreciate this.

- Listening to their customers - things that the company can do within their powers to take our advice are done. New artist pack? New production birds? Production 408s? Standard maple series guitars? DGT/Tremonti in the artist pack? Done across the board within a year or two of people asking.

- Shawn/James - its great to be on here and have representation by the company in a capacity where they can not only help with PRS issues, but they participate in our small talk and general conversations as friends.

LSchefman
01-28-2013, 01:01 PM
You guys are right; there's an experience involved in owning PRS that's really unmatched.

Hopeful Sinner
01-28-2013, 03:42 PM
It's definitely exciting to be alive during this part of the PRS legacy. Just think, one day when we are all old timers, we will be saying "yeah I remember back when the pickups didn't have squabbins..."

LSchefman
01-28-2013, 04:02 PM
It's definitely exciting to be alive during this part of the PRS legacy. Just think, one day when we are all old timers, we will be saying "yeah I remember back when the pickups didn't have squabbins..."

Squabbins? Pfffft!

I was born just before Fender introduced the Broadcaster, and before Gibson introduced the Les Paul.

Now *that* is scary.

Boardwlk17
01-28-2013, 04:06 PM
PRS guitars to me are the best guitars in the world the quality of the build the materials, the passion the employees have, The Passion that Paul has for his guitars. any other guitars I really don't even look at them anymore PRS GUITARS are simply the best. Gary Norris

Hopeful Sinner
01-28-2013, 04:51 PM
Squabbins? Pfffft!

I was born just before Fender introduced the Broadcaster, and before Gibson introduced the Les Paul.

Now *that* is scary.

Yikes!!!

LSchefman
01-28-2013, 04:59 PM
Yikes!!!

Yeah. I'm...umh...vintage!

Sooo...that makes me more valuable, right? :)

Solocaller
01-29-2013, 11:16 PM
I played many, many guitars before I tried a PRS. There was something about the PRS that made it feel instantly comfortable the moment I touched it. And the fret work was amazing. So I did some research into the company and people there that were just as passionate about guitars as me and I knew that I had to own one. I didn't choose PRS, PRS chose me.

dmatthews
01-29-2013, 11:52 PM
I gig a Mira because it is very versatile, light, and beautiful.
I gig a 305 and SE ONE as well.
I love them all and have dirty thoughts about a 408 standard with a crackwood neck.
I'm hopelessly hooked.

Albrecht Smuten
01-30-2013, 04:35 AM
I dig the headstocks :rofl:

Charlie
01-30-2013, 07:54 AM
Customer service and Paul's hands-on approach.

markie
01-30-2013, 11:37 AM
I dig'em because they play themselves & feel like butter (Say what?)

clcwarlock
01-30-2013, 02:52 PM
I like em because they sound great, feel great and stay in tune. It also doesnt hurt that they are a great company to deal with. I have watched how PRS guitars are made at the factory and the lengths that they go to make great guitars. There are times i just close my eyes, play and listen to the wonderful sound of my P24 and that has nothing to do with how it looks.

jcha008
01-30-2013, 04:36 PM
Some guitars look great. some feel great, and some sound great. But few have all three properties and PRS has it all. Amazing quality, with top notch aesthetics. Incredible playability with awesome tone. What's not to like :D?

sergiodeblanc
01-30-2013, 04:43 PM
because other guitars are just stupid.

prsrocker1988
01-30-2013, 08:28 PM
Versatility, tone, comfort, tuning stability, quality control.

LSchefman
01-31-2013, 01:21 AM
because other guitars are just stupid.

I vote for this answer.

Gnal
01-31-2013, 08:21 PM
Its hard for me to describe why I like my PRS more then other guitars I own/have owned. I guess the best way to describe it is that they just 'fit'.

My PRS are all basically SC250's. Here are the things that I really love about these guitars...
PRS Specific:
-scale length 25" is awesome
-the PRS 2 vol / 2 tone knob config
-WF or Pattern neck carve
- Adjustable wrap stoptail

General in my PRS:
-22 frets (I get lost on 24 frets for some reason)
-3way toggle (I loath blade switches even though I have guitars with them)
- 2x Hum-buckers
- and for whatever reason set necks really appeal to me.

My first guitar, 20 years ago or so, was a strat clone. It was a good guitar for what it was, it had a Trem that I never used and single coils I never got along with. After buying and selling much gear I eventually bought a Gibson Explorer and fell in love with 22 frets, Hum-buckers, set necks, and hard tails. After I figured that out I moved gear again, tried floyds, khalers, other trems... neck-throughs...

I don't know, its all subjective but they really work for me, especially the singlecuts, and are not as dangerous to my walls or kids as some of the... less traditional shapes like Explorers and King V's.

Werner Beukes
02-25-2013, 06:16 PM
I've owned many-many guitars including Fenders and Gibsons. I've owned a SG for the last 6 years, and keeping it in tune in the studio is a nightmare, I bought 2 prs's in 2011, the tremonti and the soapbar, they are awesome guitars, a week ago I bought a PRS Studio, solana burst 10 top, it's the nicest guitar I've ever had in my life!!! It stays in tune even when I abuse the tremolo, it sounds like the guitar sound of all my favourite records, and it's the most beautifull I've ever owned!!! I'm so happy that Paul and his staff are proud of what they do and try to give the world quality, not many companies today still produce this quality in a product.

Thanks for this forum, I can see we all share the same love for PRS!

Shawn@PRS
02-25-2013, 06:36 PM
I've owned many-many guitars including Fenders and Gibsons. I've owned a SG for the last 6 years, and keeping it in tune in the studio is a nightmare, I bought 2 prs's in 2011, the tremonti and the soapbar, they are awesome guitars, a week ago I bought a PRS Studio, solana burst 10 top, it's the nicest guitar I've ever had in my life!!! It stays in tune even when I abuse the tremolo, it sounds like the guitar sound of all my favourite records, and it's the most beautifull I've ever owned!!! I'm so happy that Paul and his staff are proud of what they do and try to give the world quality, not many companies today still produce this quality in a product.

Thanks for this forum, I can see we all share the same love for PRS!

Thanks for posting, we'd love to have you stick around!

CantankerousCarl
02-25-2013, 07:08 PM
My regretfully sold 1992 CU24 was the first guitars ever had that sounded like 5 DIFFERENT guitars. And it was the first guitar I remember ever feeling like the tone knob made a difference. And that NECK!

I had some nice guitars at the time (335, LP Custom, Strat) and every time I picked up one if those, and then switched back, I kept wondering "what did Paul figure out that nobody else knew" and "what kind of juju did he sprinkle on dis tang?" and such.

I guess my PRS made my other guitars irrelevant. It was the last one I sold when I was unemployed awhile back, and a PRS (SE) was the first one I bought when I started back again. I couldn't afford a Maryland one yet, but the SE Santana blew away everything in the store at twice the price.

I've got a few real nice vintage MIJ Ibanezes too, but they get a lot more case-time than any of my PRSi, and they will be the first to go if I ever come across financial issues again. The PRSi just kinda make them...irrelevant. I enjoy them, but there isn't a ground or space that any of them cover that one of my PRS cannot do better.

FlameTop
02-25-2013, 07:16 PM
The stand out attribute for me is quality. From the first I picked up (1991) to the last (last Saturday :)) they have all been superb quality instruments.

Roddie
02-25-2013, 09:15 PM
Playability, consistency, tone and quality. There is no other choice and there is no order on my reasons. They are interchangeable.

Werner Beukes
02-27-2013, 05:19 PM
Thanks for posting, we'd love to have you stick around!

You're Welcome! I took my new Studio to my bassist today to show him my new guitar and he is still freaking out. I recorded layer after layer in the studio yesterday, crazy thing about this guitar is, it sounds bigger then anything I've ever owned, without eating up all the headroom. It's just an amazing guitar, and I can see myself recording with it in even 30 yeard from now.

Blessings to you!

Werner Beukes
02-27-2013, 05:27 PM
I've already convinced 3 big time musicians to buy a PRS guitar just by plugging in my new PRS studio.

These instruments literally sell themselfs!

Shawn@PRS
02-27-2013, 08:28 PM
You're Welcome! I took my new Studio to my bassist today to show him my new guitar and he is still freaking out. I recorded layer after layer in the studio yesterday, crazy thing about this guitar is, it sounds bigger then anything I've ever owned, without eating up all the headroom. It's just an amazing guitar, and I can see myself recording with it in even 30 yeard from now.

Blessings to you!

I'd love to hear some of your work. Please post some videos or links.

Werner Beukes
02-28-2013, 04:14 AM
I'd love to hear some of your work. Please post some videos or links.

Hi Shawn,

Here,s a link to my soundcloud. http://m.soundcloud.com/wbeukes-me-com

Shawn@PRS
02-28-2013, 08:05 AM
It's just giving me a blank page. Do I need to have an account?

Werner Beukes
02-28-2013, 02:25 PM
It's just giving me a blank page. Do I need to have an account?

No, you don't need an account for soundcloud, Bu let me try another Link. https://soundcloud.com/search?q=Glow%20Star%20Entertainment
ha ha ha sorry, I posted the link from my android, and it looks like it takes you to a mobile site, so if your on PC/Mac, it won't work properly.

Try this link, it should work fine.

captdg
02-28-2013, 03:05 PM
Im of the same camp as Mr. Mike Garvey...Many years ago, my first guitar was a western auto "Truetone" (my granddad owned a WA)..There was so much space between the strings and the fret board it could have passed for a compound bow.. I then purchase an Ibanez Iceman which was very nice till my roomate in college's girlfriend burned our apt down.(hell hath no fury)..So for 30 years, I gave up.. I was working in South Korea last year on a drillship and one of the senior DPO's recommeded a PRS SE..Saw the Bernie and loved it. Then I watched Bernie play it on You tube, bought it, loved it and today I spent a good part of the afternoon watching Paul on Youtube...No wonder...His philosophy of "It takes just as much effort to build something right as to regurgitate crap with media hype" rang true. I just bought a Dell laptop because of the name and it has been nothing but irrepresible trash. I love my guitar.

My PRS's name is Honey Boo-Boo.

phaedrus242
03-06-2013, 10:49 PM
Quite simply, they're the best playing guitars I've run across. I was a die hard old school Fender guy my entire life. Owned some Gibsons but really never got along as well with the shorter scale. I'll admit to being a bit of a reverse guitar snob and falling for the "lawyer/dentist guitar" thing. Playing a couple poorly set up wall hangers at GC didn't help this (how do they manage to destroy such well set up instruments so often?)

Had a guitar issue with my way too pricey vintage Strat at a gig a little over a year ago. The guitarist in the opening band handed me his well loved Custom 22 to finish out my set. I could not believe the difference. I instantly knew that I had been working way too hard to accomplish things that just seemed to happen on this guitar. It was super touch sensitive, the controls worked intuitively and actually did things I wanted them to do. I wasn't retuning it every 2-3 songs. I instantly was able to bond with this guitar and do things it normally takes me some legit "bonding time" to pull off.

A few days later, I picked up a 25th Anniversary 305 as it was the closest thing to what I was used to. It was kind of all over. In the last year I've added a McCarty, a satin singlecut and just bought a new Custom 24 (Faded Blue Jean made me do it). I'm head over heels for the 25" scale and while everything up this latest one has been a wide fat 22 fret, the pattern regular neck feels intuitive and I'm digging a little more room. Even though the hang tag said 10-46 on it, I changed the strings as I couldn't believe I could bend so easily, especially with unreal low action. The 59/09's may be the best pickup I've ever heard for thick bucker tones and convincing splits.

Theres something to be said as a gigging musician for a tool that truly allows me to enjoy my craft more than I ever have before. There's also something to be said for a company whose newest guitars seem to just keep getting better rather than cashing in on brand equity and cutting quality. So short answer long, passion for creating something by musicians, for musicians and understanding what it takes to a great tool is what sets PRS apart from any other big name guitar builder in the business.

My most humble $0.02. Cheers,

James465
03-07-2013, 08:14 AM
Build Quality, is far superior than any of my other guitars.

LSchefman
03-07-2013, 09:43 AM
I'll admit to being a bit of a reverse guitar snobs and falling for the "lawyer/dentist guitar" thing.

So...will that be law school or dental school for you, now that you play PRS? ;)

phaedrus242
03-07-2013, 09:57 AM
So...will that be law school or dental school for you, now that you play PRS? ;)

I think with my propensity for longwindedness, law school could be a consideration. Marketing ain't buying me PS guitars yet. =)

John
03-07-2013, 09:33 PM
Aesthetics- they just look great and timeless. I've yet to encounter a PRS that was half-assed through assembly, be it paint job, frets, etc. They really have been consistent for me, even for owning 3 from 3 different decades! lol
Feel- I've always loved their necks, especially the wide thin/pattern thin necks. They're also not too heavy, either, so I don't have to worry about being weighed down too much if I decide to run around a stage like a complete moron.