PDA

View Full Version : What is your go to Rig?

Dirty Bob
02-01-2013, 09:36 PM
Many of us have several different and elaborate setups....others have one special rig that's just perfect for them.

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w388/DirtyMoonsRJT/photo-24.jpg

Lately mine has been a cu22 into a JHS Klone plugged into the recording amp through a Mesa Recto Cab 212 loaded V30's.

Although I'm always a sucker for a Mesa Recto....

What is your go to rig?

Egads
02-01-2013, 10:28 PM
Great gear, Bob. Are both Mesa cabs the Rectos? I want one of their Road King 2x12s-- one close-backed 12" and one open. They can be run independently, in stereo, or mono. I hear they are heavy suckers, though.

My go to rig changes, depending on the band. When I don't have a lot of covers to play, my choice is my 513 through a Jetter Jet drive, into a THD BiValve and Mesa Lonestar 1x12 or Theile 1x12. It ROCKS!

geese_com
02-01-2013, 10:37 PM
Many of us have several different and elaborate setups....others have one special rig that's just perfect for them.

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w388/DirtyMoonsRJT/photo-24.jpg

Lately mine has been a cu22 into a JHS Klone plugged into the recording amp through a Mesa Recto Cab 212 loaded V30's.

Although I'm always a sucker for a Mesa Recto....

What is your go to rig?

I still want that recording amp!

Dirty Bob
02-01-2013, 10:50 PM
Great gear, Bob. Are both Mesa cabs the Rectos? I want one of their Road King 2x12s-- one close-backed 12" and one open. They can be run independently, in stereo, or mono. I hear they are heavy suckers, though.

My go to rig changes, depending on the band. When I don't have a lot of covers to play, my choice is my 513 through a Jetter Jet drive, into a THD BiValve and Mesa Lonestar 1x12 or Theile 1x12. It ROCKS!

Thanks...I have rigs on the other walls too not pictured and in our lead singer's studio...I definitely don't like selling amps...and have developed a wee bit of a problem...every time I have sold a rig that I liked I find myself purchasing something similar 6 months down the road...so this way I can let my ADDness run free...(thankfully there are many members on this board with much worse habits than mine to make me feel better about myself....although they do inspire me!):D.Although sometimes I look around and consider selling them all and just stick with the recording amp and a high gain head.... makes my band a bit crazy....although Ive spent enough time with the various rigs I know how to dial them in well enough. THD Bivalves are cool amps...never played a lonestar cab...although theile's kill for their size.

yeah those are recto cabs with v30's....I picked up a rectoverb series ii combo recently for a song and it came loaded with a c90 which I've been really digging. Wouldn't mind trying a cab with a c90 on one side and a v30 on the other...or maybe a 412 with an x pattern.

Dirty Bob
02-01-2013, 10:51 PM
I still want that recording amp!

I know I know! You have dibs if I sell it. Hey by the way I know you dig the high gain thing too....the Rivera kr100 with the Los LoBottom sub is just about the angriest most pissed off rig you could ever play...you should give one a shot if you ever get the chance...the hi pass filter is insane. The Los LoBottom has 2 v30's on the top and a single 12 inch sub on the bottom...at 300 watts for the sub and 100 conservatively rated from the head....it is mean! I would love to put Bryan S's PS through it! Or Mike's new seven!

oh yeah the KR100 also has one of the best clean channels I have ever heard...blackface or bassman...but with Paul Rivera's magic.

LSchefman
02-01-2013, 11:43 PM
Wouldn't mind trying a cab with a c90 on one side and a v30 on the other

I tried that with a Tremoverb combo about 7-8 years ago. I thought it'd sound great, but wound up returning it to stock with 2 V30s. I love the Mesa C90 in pairs or in a 112, but paired with V30s, something seemed off. YMMV.

Great setup, though, Bob, and yours sounds cool, too, Egads!

My current rig is pretty simple, as you probably know. Depending on the needs of the project, I play either an SC58, A-V or Sig Ltd into the HX/DA. I can bypass my pedal board completely with a switchbox, or run into a Clyde Deluxe, Fulltone '69, Deja Vibe, and/or TC Nova delay as necessary. I do most things bypassing the board, but every project is different. I mean, really different! LOL From the amp, the sound goes to a Mesa Recto 212 like Bob's.

Fortunately, the amp can handle just about any need, and when it can't (so far this hasn't happened), I can either borrow or rent something from another studio, or use modelers. But the HXDA is "my" sound to a degree I've never felt before, even with my very nicest amps, so I'm pretty darn happy!

The '69 pedal is great for truly authentic late 60s tones, but the amp is capable of so much more than classic rock or Allman/Jimi tones that it constantly amazes me.

In general I'm using the Artist V as my basic rock guitar, and for cool and interesting textures as well; the SC58 is great for when I want heavier, darker or even jazzy/bluesy tones, and I'm discovering that I like the Sig for the bright, chimey stuff, either split or not. I really feel this is an ideal setup.

Finally, because it is, after all, a working recording rig, I tend to use a Royer 121 into a Focusrite ISA preamp, sometimes with an Audix i5 or SM57 added for a blend. The Focusrite blue preamps have switchable impedance, which is important for a ribbon mic that likes to see around 1500 ohms or more. I like to run the 57 into a tube UA 610 or equivalent, or an API preamp, again, depending on how aggressive I want the track to sound.

As for software and processors, I have some secret guitar weapons. ;)

Mikegarveyblues
02-02-2013, 12:47 AM
Go-to rig for recording is my Strat, Bernie (Hopefully my new SE C24) into my Laney Lionheart L5T-112 via a few choice pedals. For practice it's a little Fender Mustang 1.

When I get gigging again it's possibly going to be a Laney VC-30 2x12 or a Blackstar of some description... Maybe....

sergiodeblanc
02-02-2013, 12:56 AM
Fender Cyber Deluxe, go 'head and laugh at me it's great amp.

VHTStark
02-02-2013, 01:57 AM
My current rig is simple but solid: Hughes and Kettner Triamp mk2 through a Diezel front load cab. Love the Triamp, surprised more guys don't use one. One of the most versatile amps I have owned or played!

Twinfan
02-02-2013, 03:03 AM
PRS Sig -> Klone -> 65 Amps Empire quarter stack.

Thank you, and good night :)

justmund
02-02-2013, 03:53 AM
I've picked up a Mark V and getting a TC G-System next week. I'll control the Mark V via MIDI (Amp Gizmo) and thinking it's going to be a great live rig for what I do (I need versatility)

Shawn@PRS
02-02-2013, 06:46 AM
Fender Cyber Deluxe, go 'head and laugh at me it's great amp.

I had a Cyber Champ that I really enjoyed. Unfortunately it was stolen and I miss that amp.

Dirty Bob
02-02-2013, 07:20 AM
I tried that with a Tremoverb combo about 7-8 years ago. I thought it'd sound great, but wound up returning it to stock with 2 V30s. I love the Mesa C90 in pairs or in a 112, but paired with V30s, something seemed off. YMMV.

Great setup, though, Bob, and yours sounds cool, too, Egads!

My current rig is pretty simple, as you probably know. Depending on the needs of the project, I play either an SC58, A-V or Sig Ltd into the HX/DA. I can bypass my pedal board completely with a switchbox, or run into a Clyde Deluxe, Fulltone '69, Deja Vibe, and/or TC Nova delay as necessary. I do most things bypassing the board, but every project is different. I mean, really different! LOL From the amp, the sound goes to a Mesa Recto 212 like Bob's.

Fortunately, the amp can handle just about any need, and when it can't (so far this hasn't happened), I can either borrow or rent something from another studio, or use modelers. But the HXDA is "my" sound to a degree I've never felt before, even with my very nicest amps, so I'm pretty darn happy!

The '69 pedal is great for truly authentic late 60s tones, but the amp is capable of so much more than classic rock or Allman/Jimi tones that it constantly amazes me.

In general I'm using the Artist V as my basic rock guitar, and for cool and interesting textures as well; the SC58 is great for when I want heavier, darker or even jazzy/bluesy tones, and I'm discovering that I like the Sig for the bright, chimey stuff, either split or not. I really feel this is an ideal setup.

Finally, because it is, after all, a working recording rig, I tend to use a Royer 121 into a Focusrite ISA preamp, sometimes with an Audix i5 or SM57 added for a blend. The Focusrite blue preamps have switchable impedance, which is important for a ribbon mic that likes to see around 1500 ohms or more. I like to run the 57 into a tube UA 610 or equivalent, or an API preamp, again, depending on how aggressive I want the track to sound.

As for software and processors, I have some secret guitar weapons. ;)

When I graduated from college I took a slight detour from finance (I swore back then I wasn't going to work for the man....this was back before I fully understood the importance of having enough money in my pocket to afford more than a ham sandwich every other day) and worked in advertising briefly at a major firm in NY(did I mention they paid like crap and had a raise freeze in place that still probably exists to this day?) I worked as an audio visual engineer in an absolutely amazing studio that was built while I was there....the focusrite blue compressor/limiter was one of our secret weapons...we had the red too but the blue always got the call...glad to see focusrite is still in business.

I really want to spend some time with an HXDA....I want to do a side by side comparison with the recording amp to see what the differences between the two really are.

I also have never tried the 65 Amps Empire....always wanted to just haven't gotten around to it...from everything I've seen they look killer.

BTW great rigs guys! Keep em coming!

Dirty Bob
02-02-2013, 07:23 AM
My current rig is simple but solid: Hughes and Kettner Triamp mk2 through a Diezel front load cab. Love the Triamp, surprised more guys don't use one. One of the most versatile amps I have owned or played!

sick rig!

I think Markie has one in his collection....amazing head and crushing cab!

Boogie
02-02-2013, 09:52 AM
...blackface or bassman...but with Paul Rivera's magic.
That's some tasty stuff when Rivera get ahold of a Twin or Bassman. I recently sold a Twin II that I bought new in '85 and will probably regret because it was SO nice. If you're a fan of his stuff, the Rivera-era Fender amps are pretty nice stuff.

I too like the old Boogie half-back cabs, and for modern rock they kill with a slight vintage vibe when loaded exclusively with C90s.
http://maps.mikesmarauders.com/guitar/stack1.jpg

The EVs are great, but can get icepicky with my old Boogie in high gain situations.

The current go-to rig is the Super Dallas w/ pine 2x12 cab (V30s) and it continues to amaze me. By itself it is HUGE, defiant, crunchy but in the mix all those balls are absorbed, allowing me to turn up pretty darned loud to let the amp breathe. The pedalboard is really simple with a boost, couple of dirt boxes, a tuner, a vibe and 2 delays.

http://maps.mikesmarauders.com/guitar/sdallas1.jpg

Mike Duncan
02-02-2013, 09:54 AM
Mesa Express 5:50 with 2x12s. Very nice sounding amp!

BostonGuitar
02-02-2013, 10:49 AM
Mainly this:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u66/BostonGuitar/LesternLucyGatPrimerGREEN.jpg

with bits of this sprinkled in to taste, ONLY to serve the song:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u66/BostonGuitar/4b1153693c0eff36171c4db7d092a55e.jpg

USED TO be this:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u66/BostonGuitar/d21b37b9.jpg

Dirty Bob
02-02-2013, 11:38 AM
That's some tasty stuff when Rivera get ahold of a Twin or Bassman. I recently sold a Twin II that I bought new in '85 and will probably regret because it was SO nice. If you're a fan of his stuff, the Rivera-era Fender amps are pretty nice stuff.

I too like the old Boogie half-back cabs, and for modern rock they kill with a slight vintage vibe when loaded exclusively with C90s.
http://maps.mikesmarauders.com/guitar/stack1.jpg

The EVs are great, but can get icepicky with my old Boogie in high gain situations.

The current go-to rig is the Super Dallas w/ pine 2x12 cab (V30s) and it continues to amaze me. By itself it is HUGE, defiant, crunchy but in the mix all those balls are absorbed, allowing me to turn up pretty darned loud to let the amp breathe. The pedalboard is really simple with a boost, couple of dirt boxes, a tuner, a vibe and 2 delays.

http://maps.mikesmarauders.com/guitar/sdallas1.jpg

very cool looking rigs! The theile I played through on and off had an EV in it and I absolutely loved it. Love the look of your Super Dallas Rig....it's very cool. Yeah Paul R. Makes some killer stuff....I also have Rivera Venus 5 and Venus 3...both class A...both monstrous.....the Venus 5 actually has the most gain out of any amp I've ever played...it has the Rivera KTre preamp paired with a class A 6l6 power section....and like all Rivera's I've tried the cleans are pristine. One of the things I really dig about the Rivera's are the push/pull or push/push mid controls that allows you choose between different mid notch settings....It looks like the new PRS Custom may have a similar feature.

Mike...I used to have a 5:25 and I thought it was a great amp...I bet the 5:50 sounds wonderful.

Kevin...I'd love to add a Shiva to my collection at some point....amazing rig! And a heck of a lot more practical than carting around that refrigerator!

Woundtight
02-02-2013, 02:11 PM
Kerry, Nice Rig(s)! I see a name change in your future..Boogie to SupaD

geese_com
02-02-2013, 02:14 PM
I know I know! You have dibs if I sell it. Hey by the way I know you dig the high gain thing too....the Rivera kr100 with the Los LoBottom sub is just about the angriest most pissed off rig you could ever play...you should give one a shot if you ever get the chance...the hi pass filter is insane. The Los LoBottom has 2 v30's on the top and a single 12 inch sub on the bottom...at 300 watts for the sub and 100 conservatively rated from the head....it is mean! I would love to put Bryan S's PS through it! Or Mike's new seven!

oh yeah the KR100 also has one of the best clean channels I have ever heard...blackface or bassman...but with Paul Rivera's magic.

Thanks. I just raised enough money to either buy a Friedman BE-100 or a PRS Recording amp. Picking one is going to be tough.

t.shamone
02-02-2013, 02:56 PM
I love to run this in stereo and/or Vox clean, Boogie dirty.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz25/tshamone/Gear/MyRig.jpg

The Vox is a '97 made in UK reissue.

Boogie
02-03-2013, 09:20 AM
Kerry, Nice Rig(s)! I see a name change in your future..Boogie to SupaD

Ha! No kidding Mike! It's tough to switch gears so drastically like this, but the Super D is delivering the goods...and it didn't take me 3 months to dial it in. ;)

DirtyM inspired me to take a new photo (SWEET stuff, BTW). Since we're refinishing the basement (office/mini studio here I come!) my important gear is upstairs with the rest of my gig stuff. The giant Bandmaster 2x12 cab and Bassman 100's monstrous 4x12 are the only things missing. The days of my lugging those upstairs routinely are soon to be gone.
http://maps.mikesmarauders.com/guitar/rigs1.jpg

Bob, I've always wanted a Mesa Thiele cab for one of my EV12Ls to stack under the combo. It's a fabled combination.

Tony, that is a magnificent rig. :rock:

t.shamone
02-03-2013, 12:58 PM
Tony, that is a magnificent rig. :rock:

Look who's talking! :top:

Egads
02-03-2013, 03:01 PM
The giant Bandmaster 2x12 cab and Bassman 100's monstrous 4x12 are the only things missing. The days of my lugging those upstairs routinely are soon to be gone.

I had that Bandmaster setup, too, and you are not kidding about having to haul that bastid around! I took the back off the cab to see if Leo had lost a toolbox or a couple bricks while building it!

Texas_minor_blues
02-03-2013, 06:39 PM
Mainly this:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u66/BostonGuitar/LesternLucyGatPrimerGREEN.jpg

with bits of this sprinkled in to taste, ONLY to serve the song:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u66/BostonGuitar/4b1153693c0eff36171c4db7d092a55e.jpg

USED TO be this:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u66/BostonGuitar/d21b37b9.jpg
Love your rig man, btw does this towel smell like chloroform :evil: (runs away cackling maniacally with BG's favorite DGT)
As far as myself I am unable to post pics at the moment but right now my go to rig is pretty straight forward

513 or DGT ===> Lovepedal Kanji 9 ===> Bogner 20th anniv. Shiva head ===> Marshall 2x12 cabs

south89
02-06-2013, 07:50 AM
Here is what I am running right now :rock:
http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t490/MAlvord71/P1020529.jpg
http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t490/MAlvord71/P1020528.jpg

BostonGuitar
02-06-2013, 09:50 AM
Love your rig man, btw does this towel smell like chloroform :evil: (runs away cackling maniacally with BG's favorite DGT)

Thanks for the complement brother, and now that you mention it, that towel surrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :goodnight:

Danerada
02-06-2013, 10:39 AM
My "rig" pales in comparison.....

My go to is my SE One and a Line 6 PODHD500 through a Line 6 DT-25.

sergiodeblanc
02-06-2013, 12:02 PM

Mine isn't going to grace the cover of any guitar mags either! I do know quite a few touring guitarists who are rockin' really small rigs with easily replaceable items such as ours. There are a lot of benefits to not being tied down with expensive and bulky gear. Seeing the simplicity of a few of my friends who work ALL THE TIME for a bunch of different national acts really opened my mind to what you really need, and what you don't.

butterfly
02-06-2013, 12:15 PM
Making noise: PRS/LP>Teese Wah>Pederson Tuner>Barber Dual OD>Radial Hot British OD>DL-4>Fuchs Modded Music Man Combo (clean) + Marshall 1974x (dirty).

At home: PRS/LP>Fractal AxeFx Ultra>Adam A7 powered monitors

Record: Apogee Duet 2 (which I much prefer to my Saffire Liquid Pro 56)>GB or LE, Scuffham S-Gear Amp Sims)>monitors.

Sennheiser Pro 380 headphones

Dirty Bob
02-06-2013, 06:22 PM

i think that's an awesome rig! Very flexible....I have owned a few of the pod generations...up to the POD XT Live...ton of fun and very flexible...would love to hear how the HD500 sounds paired with the DT-25.

Dirty Bob
02-06-2013, 06:26 PM
Mine isn't going to grace the cover of any guitar mags either! I do know quite a few touring guitarists who are rockin' really small rigs with easily replaceable items such as ours. There are a lot of benefits to not being tied down with expensive and bulky gear. Seeing the simplicity of a few of my friends who work ALL THE TIME for a bunch of different national acts really opened my mind to what you really need, and what you don't.

sergio you don't think I normally haul that Rivera Head and that cab around do you? I'm pretty sure that cab alone weighs over 100lbs! It's mostly my smaller combo's that get the call.

justmund
02-06-2013, 06:48 PM
I got a G-System yesterday, spent a big of time last night getting it working with the Mark V. Now I can control the Mark V channels with the G-System, as well as use the EQ/Solo/Boost functions with the G-System. Used a RJM mini amp gizmo, works a treat! I like the "simplicity" of having a multi-fx unit which also controls the amp.

PRS->G-System->4CM->Mini Amp Gizmo->Mark V

Dirty Bob
02-06-2013, 08:03 PM
I got a G-System yesterday, spent a big of time last night getting it working with the Mark V. Now I can control the Mark V channels with the G-System, as well as use the EQ/Solo/Boost functions with the G-System. Used a RJM mini amp gizmo, works a treat! I like the "simplicity" of having a multi-fx unit which also controls the amp.

PRS->G-System->4CM->Mini Amp Gizmo->Mark V

Very cool! Congrats!

sergiodeblanc
02-06-2013, 09:07 PM
sergio you don't think I normally haul that Rivera Head and that cab around do you? I'm pretty sure that cab alone weighs over 100lbs! It's mostly my smaller combo's that get the call.

I don't know? You might. I know I did for a long time, finally learned my lesson a couple of years ago. If I ever scan my old pictures of my rack rig that I toted around for so long you will understand why this was a big revelation for me. I do think the genre of a band may dictate our feelings of what we are supposed to show up with though, and sometimes it's a visual aspect to see a half stack or a wall of them.

Dirty Bob
02-06-2013, 09:16 PM
I don't know? You might. I know I did for a long time, finally learned my lesson a couple of years ago. If I ever scan my old pictures of my rack rig that I toted around for so long you will understand why this was a big revelation for me. I do think the genre of a band may dictate our feelings of what we are supposed to show up with though, and sometimes it's a visual aspect to see a half stack or a wall of them.

Yeah I know....I mean I would love to bring that cab...specifically for the 300 watt sub! But my days of hauling around stuff like that are over...plus most stages I get near are postage stamp sized....my Venus 5 and rectoverb combos at fifty watts each are pretty much too darn loud. And practically too big! (Doesn't stop me from using them though!). Even those are heavy suckers.

Dirty Bob
02-06-2013, 09:18 PM
Here is what I am running right now :rock:
http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t490/MAlvord71/P1020529.jpg
http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t490/MAlvord71/P1020528.jpg

Ah.!!! I dig it! I sometimes use my rectoverb and bring my single rec head as a backup...just in case the rectoverb goes down.

sergiodeblanc
02-06-2013, 09:36 PM
It's weird. I still love amps, pedals, racks, the tones, and all those things that light up, but I feel like it is a thing of the past for me. I've spent too many years hauling and guarding stuff, I try to keep it to something that I can manage. I can put boss a multi efx unit and a little Fender amp in the van/car/trailer and only concentrate on where my guitars are, and that makes me more accessible to fans and to the great experiences I couldn't have if I was worried about my boutique "blah, blah, boblawblog" amp and pedals.

Now I can go out for drinks, or spend the night somewhere, or not back up the van against every wall as much.

“The Master said, “A true gentleman is one who has set his heart upon the Way. A fellow who is ashamed merely of solid state amps or modeler's is not even worth conversing with.”
(Analects 4.9)”
― Confucius

Dirty Bob
02-06-2013, 09:46 PM
It's weird. I still love amps, pedals, racks, the tones, and all those things that light up, but I feel like it is a thing of the past for me. I've spent too many years hauling and guarding stuff, I try to keep it to something that I can manage. I can put boss a multi efx unit and a little Fender amp in the van/car/trailer and only concentrate on where my guitars are, and that makes me more accessible to fans and to the great experiences I couldn't have if I was worried about my boutique "blah, blah, boblawblog" amp and pedals.

Now I can go out for drinks, or spend the night somewhere, or not back up the van against every wall as much.

“The Master said, “A true gentleman is one who has set his heart upon the Way. A fellow who is ashamed merely of solid state amps or modeler's is not even worth conversing with.”
(Analects 4.9)”
― Confucius

Fans? What are those?

sergiodeblanc
02-06-2013, 09:56 PM
Fans? What are those?

You know, those things that blow your hair?

justmund
02-06-2013, 09:59 PM
Very cool! Congrats!
Thanks, now I gotta go finish building a cab for the thing! Am using the AX84 specs with a Celestion Century Vintage. I built one prior with a Greenback clone and it was stellar, massive sound for a 1 x 12" (I sold that one to my dad)

Steph
02-06-2013, 11:08 PM
My Rig: Cube 40...........nevermind......:vroam:

Dirty Bob
02-06-2013, 11:10 PM
You know, those things that blow your hair?:girl:

a la Steve Vai? (Who is amazing live by the way)

MrGuitarDon
02-08-2013, 03:36 PM
Current rig is a Mesa Triaxis, 2:90 and G Major 2 for effects.

Think I might have to checkout one of the PRS amps.

Texas_minor_blues
02-12-2013, 07:05 PM
http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b577/aefreyre/2013-02-12_18-27-19_713_zps723939e2.jpg

The pedals on top:
T.C. Electronics Hall of Fame Reverb
T.C. Electronics Flashback Delay
T.C Electronics Corona Chorus
Lovepedal Kanji (One of the best overdrives I have ever owned!)
:hello: