PDA

View Full Version : A Proper Cup of Coffee

garrett
02-07-2013, 01:46 PM
I don't get a proper cup of coffee often enough. I guess I'm a coffee snob by American standards. I didn't start drinking coffee at all until I was nearly 30 and living in Australia. They have a great love for espresso there and coffee shops everywhere offering up excellent cappuccinos, lattes, etc. Such is the quality that the Starbucks where I lived in Adelaide went out of business.

There's a great coffee house around the corner from home now, but I usually only drink coffee at work so I settle for Caribou or Starbucks most of the time. Every now and then I get to swing by the local place and it's so satisfying to drink a properly made cappuccino. I'm three years removed from Australia now, but it still bums me out that Americans settle for inferior coffee. Most Americans don't know what they're missing out on!

Who else among us is a discerning coffee drinker?

I'll go ahead and post this clip from The Bucket List to get it out of the way...

http://youtu.be/VVJqwCdzZnw

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
02-07-2013, 01:55 PM
Coffee snob here. I often give 100% pure, trellis-grown, Kona beans to my closest friends. At least to the ones who drink coffee.

docbennett
02-07-2013, 02:23 PM
Absolute coffee aficionado here.

Grind my imported 100% Kona (never a blend!) beans or my Jamaican Blue Mountain beans when I'm in the mood for what Quentin Tarantino riffs on, in Pulp Fiction...which is clearly a slice of his life and I was totally able to relate to. 'Cept my wife is named Ginger, not Bonnie.

That being said....I drink about 36+ oz of Maxwell house original blend during the day, from the time I wake up through my work schedule.

I guess I don't qualify as a true snob, given the amount of sugar I use with each cup. I guess I have a "sweet tooth" since I can go through a 5 lb bag of sugar in less than 3 weeks on the average, to my wife and everyone else's chagrin.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
02-07-2013, 02:32 PM
That being said....I drink about 36+ oz of Maxwell house original blend...

I can't do it. Maxwell house tastes like chemicals to me.

And the bean grinder? I use a KitchenAid mill.

http://l3.zassets.com/images/z/1/6/3/5/2/3/1635232-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

John Beef
02-07-2013, 02:48 PM
Most Americans don't know what they're missing out on!

Most Americans drink Budweiser, eat at McDonalds and shop at Wal Mart. They're fine with watery Folgers or whatever.

I love 100% Kona and will occasioanlly splurge for a can from Trader Joes, but at $20 for 12 oz, I think there's a line crossed there with diminishing returns.

By far, this is the best I have found for an all around coffee that tastes great and is affordable. We buy it at Costco for $16 for a 3 lb bag which lasts us around 3 weeks.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41BG8svEe6L.jpg

I prefer a darker roast but my wife doesn't like it as dark as I do, so we go with that which is middle of the road a far as roasts. I brew it strong and add a little milk. It's naturally sweet - not sugary, but definitely there's a sweetness to it.

docbennett
02-07-2013, 02:48 PM
I save my Kona and Blue Mountain for special occassions. I hardly ever drink that before noon either. I consider them more "luxury coffees" but they are clearly superior to anything else I've ever had.

For the First AM cup.....I actually love Maxwell House.....I can tolerate Chock Full O' Nuts. None of the other production blends taste decent to me.

I also really like Dunkin' Donuts and 7-11 coffee. I have never had a cup of Starbucks that I enjoyed. I find their blend to be harsh and bitter.....like the aforementioned chemicals you attribute to Maxwell House.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
02-07-2013, 03:04 PM
I save my Kona and Blue Mountain for special occassions.

I got news for ya, Ned. There ain't no java in hell. Every day you wake up breathing is a special occasion.

Life is short.

t.shamone
02-07-2013, 03:23 PM
I visit Jamaica often and pick up true Blue Mountain coffee (not lower altitude mountain grown which is often passed off as Blue Mountain)
from the coffee farms and bring it home.
I also have relatives who bring coffee straight from Italy which is superior than what is exported here to the US.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz25/tshamone/Other%20Stuff/Pots.jpg

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz25/tshamone/Other%20Stuff/SDC10560.jpg

veinbuster
02-07-2013, 03:28 PM
I don't drink coffee very often, but when I do I grind the beans and do it espresso style. Maybe add some milk in some form or a few grains of raw sugar.

justmund
02-07-2013, 03:54 PM
The keyboardist in the band is a coffee geek and likes to talk, a lot, which has turned me into a coffee snob. I don't drink much coffee, but when I do I like it to be good. I tend to buy my coffee from a barista, so the beans are usually at their discretion. I dig doppio ristretto half coffee/half water, you get some treacley goodness of a shortie, but it just lasts a big longer...

Did I say coffee snob? I meant coffee wan...

Does anyone use an Aeropress? I've been thinking about getting one. I've tasted a couple of coffees made this way and was impressed.

Whitecat
02-07-2013, 03:55 PM
America has great coffee, you just need to know where to find it.

Intelligentsia is my favourite. If you're local in Chicago or LA then it's easy to get. They'll deliver elsewhere though if you don't mind paying.

Blue Mountain is my second fave, and peaberry Kona from a variety of growers is also delicious (I have McClure Farms here on occasion when I can get it).

Hard to get great coffee in the UK but not impossible. Union Coffee Co. is probably my favourite - the 'Revelation' blend is awesome.

garrett
02-07-2013, 03:56 PM
My parents have been drinking Folgers or Maxwell House for as long as I can remember. Drip coffee generally has no appeal to me at all. My mom drinks that stuff black; I don't see how she can stand it.

I experimented with a bunch of different brews at Caribou, but found I always loaded it up with cream and sugar, so I stick with espresso based beverages. If the milk is steamed properly (almost never is, unless you go to a proper coffee house) I don't need any sugar at all.

I also like Caribou's cold press iced coffee. One of these days I'll get around to trying out cold pressing my own. It's not as bitter as the hot stuff, so I generally go no-sugar with that, too.

docbennett
02-07-2013, 03:56 PM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ;48197']I got news for ya, Ned. There ain't no java in hell. Every day you wake up breathing is a special occasion.

Life is short.

You are right. And there ain't no such thing as hell, 'cept the one people make for themselves. Trust me on that one.

And you know what....several people have contacted my on the forum...in various ways...email, PM...and a bunch of them think my name is "Ned". In one case, I told someone he could google me and find out some stuff. He came back and said that all he found was a "Bennett Oppenheim" and wanted to know if I knew that person. (There are 3 Bennett Oppenheims that come up in Google search...me, a lawyer real estate dude in Fla...and some Dr. of Sociology who retired from teaching at UCLA and now rides his Harley X-country. 3 of us. Can ya imagine? Wonder how many "Ned Oppenheim"'s there are????)

I think I have to visit the name thread again. :p

Mikegarveyblues
02-07-2013, 04:07 PM
Only time I drink coffee is when I have the odd cappuccino. really hate the way all the tacky coffee shops have sprouted up just about everywhere!

I think before the rise of Starbucks and the like Nescafe Gold Blend was the coffee to get. I seem to remember there was always a jar knocking around for the non tea drinkers!

LSchefman
02-07-2013, 05:39 PM
I think before the rise of Starbucks and the like Nescafe Gold Blend was the coffee to get. I seem to remember there was always a jar knocking around for the non tea drinkers!

Au contraire, my friend, I have been grinding fresh coffee at home for 35 years, and good coffee has been available at specialty shops since then, but it wasn't easy to find at first.

However - and I almost hate to admit this - I'm also a fan of the Starbucks Verismo machine and the little pods.

I tried the Keurig and thought the coffee tasted pretty bad (even the Starbucks stuff), the Tassimo was better, but the Verismo is actually palatable, and when I'm feeling lazy, that's what I use.

And I'm feeling lazy a lot lately. ;)

kingsleyd
02-07-2013, 08:25 PM
I grind fresh beans in one of these every morning and pour through a 1-mug melitta system. That's my cup for the day. Have been using the same mug-top Melitta and the same two mugs since 1983. I just finished a pound of Blue Kangaroo Brazil that my brother sent me -- he has a second home in Portland, OR. Lucky him. My every day beans come from a local coffee shop/roaster and they're good if not fabulous, my fave being their Sumatra. Summertime is hot here so I like something lighter like their Mexico. Jamaica Blue Mountain is great too if you can find the real stuff, as is proper Kona.

I drink it black, no sugar. Can't imagine putting sugar in good coffee. (although I like about 1/2 tsp of sugar in black tea, so there ya go)

http://maxcdn.nexternal.com/mctcom/images/img50o[1].jpg

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
02-07-2013, 08:32 PM
You are right. And there ain't no such thing as hell, 'cept the one people make for themselves. Trust me on that one.

You're... [a'hem] preaching to the choir.

sergiodeblanc
02-07-2013, 08:35 PM
I worked for Starbucks (before they got to big to provide the finest coffees)on and off for what amounted to be almost thirteen years, during that time I learned a lot about coffee and met some incredible independent coffee roasters (and the most beautiful female baristas), but the most important thing I learned is: drink what you like, nobody else's opinion matters, but warm drinks make me go poop, so I stick with cola.

I will volunteer for barista duty at Experience this year if they want a Private Stock Coffee booth. I'm still friendly with some great local coffee roasters, but I will have to work on making a bird shaped foam motif.

justmund
02-07-2013, 09:22 PM
I will volunteer for barista duty at Experience this year if they want a Private Stock Coffee booth. I'm still friendly with some great local coffee roasters, but I will have to work on making a bird shaped foam motif.
PRS bird latte art? I like it!

Closest I could find:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8350/8271906522_5d9ed89c67_z.jpg

Herr Squid
02-07-2013, 11:09 PM
I use the Keurig gizmo, usually with Starbuck's pods for quick, everyday, tolerable coffee.

I'm a philistine, though, and like it tan and sweet.

For the weekends, there's a regional roaster named Father Michael's (a Greek Orthodox priest) whose roasts are absolutely intoxicating. I grind the beans and brew 'em in a french press. That's my little slice of Saturday/Sunday morning heaven.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
02-07-2013, 11:20 PM
Ok, for the record... never. Not ever. Nope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DPV0g185rkM#!

Herr Squid
02-07-2013, 11:22 PM
I was reading about Kopi Luwak just last night! Wondered if anyone would mention it on this thread (forgot to myself...). :D

Rango
02-08-2013, 12:43 AM
I'll stick to Kona! :D

Twinfan
02-08-2013, 02:37 AM
Big coffee fan here. I have a proper bean-to-cup machine at home and buy mail order beans from a good UK supplier. I must go and get one now, actually...

When I'm out and about I favour Cafe Nero, followed by Costa. I only use Starbucks in Red Cup season for the Gingerbread Lattes!

Gtrnut
02-08-2013, 03:28 AM
Hi, fellow Aussie also originally from Adelaide.

Fortunate to know local a roaster who will tweak the roast for me, we use Ethiopian Sidamo.
I have a good grinder and good domestic manual machine which works well - but when it packs up I will be getting a small commercial machine.
Had 4 expensive automatic machines but none have come close to a good manual one.
No instant "coffee substitute" in my house.

Bill SAS 513
02-08-2013, 04:49 AM
Love me some good Joe...however...we used to have band practice on Saturday mornings in Reisterstown and I would stop at Royal Farm store and pick up 2 Mountain Dews, a large pack of Berger Cookies, and a BIG morning coffee...the guys couldn't understand why I always was ahead of them in the songs we rehearsed...??? LOL

11top
02-08-2013, 06:37 AM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ;48178']Coffee snob here. I often give 100% pure, trellis-grown, Kona beans to my closest friends. At least to the ones who drink coffee.

WTF? :flute::bawling:

markie
02-08-2013, 06:48 AM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ;48178']Coffee snob here. I often give 100% pure, trellis-grown, Kona beans to my closest friends. At least to the ones who drink coffee.

:coffee: .................................................. .......................... :dontknow: .................................................. ......... :laugh:

docbennett
02-08-2013, 07:10 AM
How about coffee machines? After 30 years of making sure I had a full pot every morning....I've settled on the Cuisinart 3000....a great machine that allows you to make from 1 to 12 cups at a time....and never uses the carafs that always end up breaking. You dispense the coffee right from the tank that it collects in.

Personally...I find the Keurigs....and their clones...to be a sign of the times....more people living alone....fewer people sharing coffee time together....more demand for the single cup.

garrett
02-08-2013, 08:12 AM
I was reading about Kopi Luwak just last night! Wondered if anyone would mention it on this thread (forgot to myself...). :D

Watch the YouTube clip in the first post. :wink: It was the subject of a subplot in The Bucket List. I had to Google it to believe it!

When I was working from home regularly, I considered one of those single cup Keurig or similar machines because my wife doesn't drink coffee and I only have a single cup a few days a week. I wasn't impressed with the taste of the brews I tried from a friend. Starting to work from home again, so I may try a little espresso machine.

hippietim
02-08-2013, 08:27 AM
I love hot coffee. I really like a good cup of Kona. But most of the time when I drink coffee it's from the Keurig we have at home. I also have to admit that I like Starbuck's Pike Place coffee.

I hate iced coffee. I pretty much hate coffee flavored anything. I hate cream and sugar in regular coffee - espresso is different. About once a year I'll drink a mocha or some other girlie espresso drink.

docbennett
02-08-2013, 08:28 AM
I was surprised to learn (many years ago) that espresso has LESS caffeine than "regular coffee".

Has anyone else heard of this? My prior impression had always been that espresso was a stronger blend of caffeine, but I was told "Nope" by someone who was considered to be knowledgable about that kind of stuff.

Albrecht Smuten
02-08-2013, 08:34 AM
I was surprised to learn (many years ago) that espresso has LESS caffeine than "regular coffee".

Has anyone else heard of this? My prior impression had always been that espresso was a stronger blend of caffeine, but I was told "Nope" by someone who was considered to be knowledgable about that kind of stuff.

Isn't it because espresso is usually smaller?

docbennett
02-08-2013, 08:41 AM
Isn't it because espresso is usually smaller?

Nope...I'm talking about "caffeine content" regardless of the size of the serving.

Albrecht Smuten
02-08-2013, 08:51 AM
Nope...I'm talking about "caffeine content" regardless of the size of the serving.

Would this help?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee#Caffeine_content

LSchefman
02-08-2013, 09:08 AM
Personally...I find the Keurigs....and their clones...to be a sign of the times....more people living alone....fewer people sharing coffee time together....more demand for the single cup.

That's not really the case. The machines are often found in offices these days, where people can get a fresh cup, as opposed to having one of those cheesy industrial coffees that sit in a pot and burn for hours. At one studio I do a lot of audio post in, people hang out and talk near the Keurig just as they did at the old coffee machine.

At home, I like to have three cups of coffee between the time I wake up and lunchtime. When I grind, the first cup is always good. Then my option is to have a relatively burnt cup later on, as the coffee sits and turns bitter on a heated appliance, or pour it into a thermal carafe (thermos kind of thing), where it's better but still not as good as freshly brewed.

My wife and I have coffee together in the morning. But I like extra-dark coffee, and she likes weaker blends. The machine lets us each pick our own blend to start the day, without having to make two separate grinds, and use two separate drip machines and their associated cleanup. We sit and each enjoy our coffee together with the Verismo.

In the afternoon, I need a quick cup of coffee (sometimes a latte is good) at mid-afternoon. Often I'm working, and don't want to screw around with a grinder and the whole mishmash. The Verismo is great.

On those occasions when clients come over, I put out a bunch of different coffee pods, and everyone gets to choose what they like, and can make it fresh, while I keep working in the studio. No need for me to quit in the middle of a take and play host if someone wants to just have a fresh cup.

This works the same way when social guests and family come over! In fact, I got the idea for getting my first Tassimo (which is a good machine, too) because my daughter got one as a wedding gift. When we visited, she had the varieties out (at the time Starbucks was Tassimo only), and everyone got to pick their coffee, or have latte, or whatever, and it was pretty darn enjoyable! That's when I got one.

When I had family and friends over a few weeks later, the same thing happened, and my brother and his wife liked it so much they got one. Clients like it.
Family likes it. My wife likes it. I like it. Several friends have gotten them. Of course, my brother Robert (the artist) will not use one. But not because the coffee isn't good. He thinks the pods are overpriced and a waste.

So I think it's a very social machine, certainly as much as any other kind of coffee maker, and because it allows the individual to pick a coffee, it's great for hosting guests. That's my actual experience.

By the way, I also have a Cuisinart machine, and a Braun machine, so that we can grind coffees for entertaining if we want, and have enough for guests when each machine doesn't make enough coffee at once, but we really like the Verismo a lot.

Here's my thinking on "signs of the times" in general: are we being social here? Not in person, but would I be friends with Bennett, for example, in "real life?" Probably not, we'd never have gotten to meet. I think the friends with whom we engage in conversation here are real people, and we have real friendships and good discussions. Where else can you discuss guitars with a couple of thousand people?

Do things like the internet result for some people in alienation from personal relationships? No doubt. But I suspect that for many of us, the net is simply a substitute for other entertainment. At the movies, you're essentially every bit as alone, even if you go with a group, since you're not talking (hopefully) during the film. If you watch TV, it's not like you're engaging in conversation in a meaningful way at the same time.

If you're reading, same thing. There have always been pastimes that really are "alone time." People need to mentally get away from the chatter at times.

Finally, I would like to observe that we PRS players really ARE a bunch of yuppie cork-sniffers (or in this case, coffee grind sniffers). Guilty as charged! ;)

garrett
02-08-2013, 09:10 AM

It's my understanding that espresso is higher in caffeine, but since it's so strong, you drink less of it and therefore consume less caffeine. A cappuccino ends up with less caffeine vs. a cup of drip brew coffee of equivalent size.

Small "coffee of the day" (drip brewed coffee) from Caribou: 230 mg caffeine
Small cappuccino or latte (shot of espresso + milk) from Caribou: 180 mg

docbennett
02-08-2013, 09:11 AM
Would this help?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee#Caffeine_content

So...you were right...

Caffeine contentThe caffeine content of a cup of coffee varies depending mainly on the brewing method, and also on the variety of seed.[142] (http://prsguitars.com/forum/#cite_note-145)
According to an article in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association, coffee has the following caffeine content, depending on how it is prepared:[143] (http://prsguitars.com/forum/#cite_note-Bunker-146)

Serving size
Caffeine content

Brewed
7 oz, 207 ml
80–135 mg

Drip
7 oz, 207 ml
115–175 mg

Espresso
1.5–2 oz, 45–60 ml
100 mg

And, Richard Neer...of WNEW FM, circa 1984....was WRONG. And I thought he knew everything!!

Thanks pal! That makes sense, and clears up a misconception I've been sharing with too many people for the past 30 years or so.

Steve59
02-08-2013, 09:44 AM
Gotta jump in on this one.

I spent many years drinking Maxwell House and thinking it was good. Kind of like my Budweiser days but that's another story.

A few years ago I married a smart woman who is now a certified Coffee Master managing a store for Starbucks. Now I get up in the morning and grind enough beans to brew one large travelor mug of good coffee using my kitchen aid grinder (pictured several posts back) and my Techni-form Mocca Master brewer. On occasion she will break out the Jamaican Blue or some other top stash she has hidden away and make us a French Press. I don't consider myself a coffee snob or afficiano but living with someone who reads books on the subject and does tastings has changed my coffee drinking habits for the better. I now drink less of it but enjoy it more when I do.

My beer drinking tastes have also changed over the years but that's a result of living in Bavaria for a few years and belongs in a different thread.

Cheers.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
02-08-2013, 09:58 AM
WTF? :flute::bawling:

You're a coffee drinker, Steve????

http://prsguitars.com/forum/images/smilies/coffee.gif .................................................. .......................... http://prsguitars.com/forum/images/smilies/dontknow.gif .................................................. ......... http://prsguitars.com/forum/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Whatever. I KNOW you're not a coffee drinker.

I find the Keurigs....and their clones...to be a sign of the times...

I bought a Keurig B155 for the office and share it with 25 of my colleagues. There was a community pot and we got tired of the 1st guy to the office filling it up with Folgers. I'm not drinking Folgers unless I'm desperate. Also, some people would never come through when it was their turn to bring the beans.

The Keurig resolved this issue permenantly. Now everyone must bring in their own supplies. I get the Starbucks Veranda Blend (Blonde) and find it to be quite good for office coffee. I run the machine twice with the same K-cup - 6 ounces each time - and let the hot water soak in the beans for at least 2 minutes before the 2nd run. Works like a charm.

sergiodeblanc
02-08-2013, 10:20 AM
There are other factors too, but the longer coffee beans are roasted the less caffeine it will have. French Roast (the longest/darkest roasted coffee) has less caffeine but appears stronger tasting only because of the roasting time. Beans used for espresso are generally roasted longer than beans that would be used for drip coffee, Starbucks uses the same varietal (or really a blend) of coffee for their espresso, Italian, and french roasts, only the roasting time of the beans are changed.

sergiodeblanc
02-08-2013, 10:36 AM
Fortunate to know local a roaster who will tweak the roast for me, we use Ethiopian Sidamo.

Sidamo is a great coffee bean, as are most, if not all african varietals. The smaller "petite" beans have a unique flavor that you can't find elsewhere. New Guinea Peaberry, Arabian Mocha Sanani, and Sidamo are more expensive because of the amount of beans it takes to to make a pound, whereas a coffee like Kona is generally more expensive only because of it's low yield rates and perceived value.

If you have not tried more african coffees you owe it to yourself to try some, they are the most naturally complex and unique coffees on the planet.

watelessness
02-08-2013, 01:23 PM
49 years, no coffee. I do second-hand-inhale it though.

Gtrnut
02-08-2013, 01:57 PM
Sidamo is a great coffee bean, as are most, if not all african varietals. The smaller "petite" beans have a unique flavor that you can't find elsewhere. New Guinea Peaberry, Arabian Mocha Sanani, and Sidamo are more expensive because of the amount of beans it takes to to make a pound, whereas a coffee like Kona is generally more expensive only because of it's low yield rates and perceived value.

If you have not tried more african coffees you owe it to yourself to try some, they are the most naturally complex and unique coffees on the planet.

Yes, I have tried a few from Africa, even different plantations in the same area will vary in taste. My supplier has lots of beans from around the world and makes his own blends as well, lots of nice beans to choose from as long as their roasted right. I do seem to prefer single origin to blends, Ethiopian Sidamo is a just really nice and my wife's favourite.

mad monk
02-08-2013, 02:00 PM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ;48197']I got news for ya, Ned. There ain't no java in hell. Every day you wake up breathing is a special occasion.

Life is short.

Not to derail the thread, but that's my beer philosophy!

mad monk
02-08-2013, 02:02 PM
Good information in this thread.

sleary
02-08-2013, 02:13 PM
I don't grind my own coffee much anymore but I've always loved fresh beans. Hate trying to store them lol

I wouldn't say I'm a coffee snob but love my coffee.

tacomadriver
02-08-2013, 03:07 PM
I love good coffee but I would not be drinking it if there was no caffeine. No morning coffee, no thank you. As someone that gave up all the other social drugs over 26 years ago I fully enjoy and appreciate my choices in coffee. I know folks that willingly spend $20+ for a bottle of wine that is drank in one sitting cringe at paying that much for a bag of good beans. Well to each there own. I guess it's part of what makes life interesting.

I like to have my morning coffee ready when I first get up. I use a Cuisinart 12 cup programmable with a thermal carafe and grind and prepare it the night before. It satisfies much of what I want from coffee. When I want to make a one-cup-at-time I grind the beans and then do a pour over.

t.shamone
02-08-2013, 04:26 PM

So much knowledge! :cool:

jfb
02-08-2013, 08:37 PM
I know little about coffee but my Australian friend living in USA certainly misses his "proper coffee" as he calls it.

Gtrnut
02-08-2013, 10:33 PM
I know little about coffee but my Australian friend living in USA certainly misses his "proper coffee" as he calls it.

The coffee culture in Australia started as a result of Italian migrants missing their coffee. Lygon Street in Melbourne is still home to some of these original coffee shops (also pizza shops). Sydney was later more influenced by America style (Starbucks) but now they have some good shops (I used to dread going there).
To me there is no such thing as a large, medium or small coffees - Make sure the grind adjustment is correct then grind beans into group head, express single or double shot (not over extracting), add milk no hotter than 65 degrees C with 10mm of dense froth (swirl the full cream milk with the steam wand just bellow the surface) into a small glass - that is an Australian Latte.

Presuming your beans are roasted correctly, if your coffees are too bitter you have either ground the coffee too fine or over extracted it. Too week then the grind is too coarse.
Lots of people never seem to adjust their grinder properly which may need to be different depending the coffees batch / age and the temperature / humidity of the day.

Over extracting is when the colour of the pour changes from dense golden liquid to a watery brown colour.

AaeCee
02-08-2013, 10:52 PM
Gotta be espresso made properly, with good beans ground properly, and served unadorned and hot. I'm not overly particular as to the brand, as long as it's good, and these days there are plenty of good beans to be found.

John Beef
01-15-2014, 04:09 PM
I got a French Press for Christmas. I have brewed four or five cups with it in my office at work over the last couple weeks. It was either this or a Keurig. The difference for me being, this has a little more cleanup but isn't some big appliance sitting on my desk.

It's some of the best coffee I've ever had. I didn't have any way to make sure I could grind it correctly (coarse) so I went to a Starbucks and bought a pound of regular old Pike Place roast and had them grind it coarse for me. There's a kettle in the break room, so I heat the water in that to just short of boiling and then put the whole thing together, press it after a few minutes, et voila. Black, no sugar or milk. I've had Pike Place roast before of course, but this is way better. It's sweeter and just "cleaner" tasting for lack of a better term. This isn't a coffee I would normally buy, so I can't wait to try something I know I really like. Maybe I'll splurge and pony up the $20 for a can of Kona from Trader Joe's.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71SkCw4bO0S._SL1500_.jpg

sergiodeblanc
01-15-2014, 04:16 PM
Good work John!

A French Press is still one of the best ways to tell what a coffee really tastes like since you don't have a paper filter soaking up all that flavor.

Jet Whitey
01-15-2014, 04:49 PM
Born and raised in Seattle......drinks coffee 24/7 except Coke with lunch and dinner. Won't touch StarF*cks with Hans's lips........i.e. Seattle Super Sonics = OKC Blunder...... The only thing I will say good about them is they treated my stepdaughter well there during her employment as Sergio's eye candy! If you ever do visit Seattle, do yourself a favor and visit some of the local grinders. I still get a care package every year on my birthday from the Stewart family. They're the family that started Seattle's Best Coffee Co. They fell victim to a holding Co.'s takeover....ie StarF*cks . The 20lb bag I get is IMHO the best coffee I have ever had. It lasts about 3 months....Yes....I'm a coffee snob!

garrett
01-16-2014, 11:56 AM
Yay, my thread lives!

I've been working from home three days a week lately. I really should switch my routine from drinking coffee at the office to drinking it when I'm working from home. I could support the local independent joint or finally commit to some sort of at-home solution.

Kroger
01-17-2014, 02:01 PM
There was an article in the Washington Post just the other day about different ways of making coffee. Might be a good read.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/coffee-brewing-methods-pros-and-cons/2014/01/13/2aef97fc-77ea-11e3-b1c5-739e63e9c9a7_story.html

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
01-17-2014, 02:26 PM
Won't touch StarF*cks with Hans's lips...

What did I do this time?

Hopeful Sinner
01-17-2014, 03:17 PM
All the java fans should try buzz box coffee! Organic, shade grown, fair trade coffee from the Camano Islands and let me tell ya, it is superb.

The shade grown deal makes it super smooth to drink and way less acidic and the coolest thing of all, your first pound is free!!!

www.buzzboxcoffee.com

And the system is no hassle, so if you don't enjoy it, you just stop getting it. No cancellation fees or anything like that...

sergiodeblanc
01-17-2014, 04:17 PM
Who's tried Civet coffee?

jfb
01-18-2014, 07:10 PM
Who's tried Civet coffee?

What's that?

jimistephen
01-18-2014, 10:41 PM
What's that?

The cherries are eaten by a cat then they poop out the beans and you make coffee...

glenjohnson44
01-24-2014, 03:09 AM
It is not often that I drink coffee. I make it sure to grind beans and perform the same in espresso style. I also make sure to add milk, as well.