PDA

View Full Version : Vintage vs Classicc vs Modern

tiboy
02-08-2013, 05:19 PM
This is an open field thread. Define the term or give an example to help define the term. Example 59/09's = a modern tone. Name an artist or song that helps define a catagory. Name a guitar that fits a catagory. Anything goes. Just start with

Vintage= ......
Classic= ......
Modern= ....

LSchefman
02-08-2013, 08:26 PM
It'll be interesting to see how different players define these terms.

For me, unless you go back a very long time, "vintage" and "classic" are fairly synonymous. And so much "modern" music has been made on old instruments, or old-style instruments, that I'm not even sure what that term means! A guy like Dave Grohl, who's playing some pretty meaty stuff, is playing a Trini Lopez model Gibson these days, that came out in 1964! And he also uses other old-style instruments. This is just an example, of course. But we can all think of dozens of modern players in this category.

I get that metal is different, and has a different instrumental/pickup/amp vocabulary than other genres, but it's been around a long time, too, in one form or another.

The active EMG pickup was introduced when, late 70s? I know Steinberger was using them in the early 80s, because I was interested in one at the time. But the thing is, that was over 30 years ago. Does that make it vintage, classic, or modern?

Last year, my son did a short tour with The Academy Is, a well known punk/emo band. He played a Tele and a 335. They weren't hot-rodded new models, they both dated from the 80s and had standard pickups. I have no idea what he played through, I've forgotten, but I'll guess a Mesa. So is that stuff vintage, classic, modern, what?

So I'm copping out. Can't answer the question. LOL

Sage
02-09-2013, 09:49 PM
To me, "vintage" describes a specific guitar, while "classic" and "modern" describe guitar designs.

I'd probably call any guitar made before 1980 a "vintage" guitar. I'd probably call any guitar designed before 1970 a "classic," and any guitar designed since would be "modern."

The Strat, Tele, LP, and 335 are all "classic" guitars to me. Ibanez guitars are usually "modern." The PRS double-cut designs are all "modern," though I'd argue they're destined to become classics in their own right, especially since they evoke the "classics" more than most modern designs.