PDA

View Full Version : Multi Effects Pedals

Chris528
02-14-2013, 02:29 PM
I'm looking into getting rid of all my separate pedals and buying a multi effects pedal. I'm leaning towards the Digitech RP500, but would love some input from the forum.

thieves&foxes
02-14-2013, 02:35 PM
Depends on your setup but the RP500 is a seriously nice pedal. The thing about multifx is that you need to sit down and spend some time tweaking it to make it sound good. I use a Line 6 M9, and couldn't be happier.

themike
02-14-2013, 02:40 PM
The RP500 is nice but there are a few other models I would look into before I went with the digitech - mainly Line6 (POD or M series), Boss GT-10 or a Digitech GSP 1101 w/ Control 2. The effects are great and you can even run some of them as an amp modler for recording or tonal layering.

jfb
02-14-2013, 02:44 PM
Carl Martin Quattro. Superb quality build and effects. Incredibly simple to use. Every do often I see a great deal on a used one. That's the route I would take.

frankb56
02-14-2013, 02:53 PM
I purchased the DigiTech Model BP90V Multi Effects Pedal. I had to send it in to be repaired (a few weeks ago, still have not gotten it back). The problem with this model (I'm not sure about the one you are thinking of---nor am I knocking Digitech) is that it has a plastic housing and it's not very sturdy. In fact, I think the only thing I did was drop a sneaker on it and next thing I know it didn't work.

So, I purchased the MS100BT - Zoom Multi-Effects Guitar Pedal w/Bluetooth. This thing is incredible. It comes with a bunch of presets but the most intriguing feature is that you can download apps (they cost between $0.99 and $1.50) each that emulate other pedals and pre-amps on the market without actually buying them. Check it out, it's only $150 and does what about 30 other pedals do combined!

Good Luck, Frank

Steph
02-14-2013, 03:01 PM
Yeh, a friend of mine had to send back his Digitech pedal just a couple of weeks after purchase. After that, I kind of staid away from Digitech gear. And your comment is adding to the fear. I guess a plastic housing for any pedal is a no brainer STAY AWAY sign!

I purchased the DigiTech Model BP90V Multi Effects Pedal. I had to send it in to be repaired (a few weeks ago, still have not gotten it back). The problem with this model (I'm not sure about the one you are thinking of---nor am I knocking Digitech) is that it has a plastic housing and it's not very sturdy. In fact, I think the only thing I did was drop a sneaker on it and next thing I know it didn't work.

So, I purchased the MS100BT - Zoom Multi-Effects Guitar Pedal w/Bluetooth. This thing is incredible. It comes with a bunch of presets but the most intriguing feature is that you can download apps (they cost between $0.99 and $1.50) each that emulate other pedals and pre-amps on the market without actually buying them. Check it out, it's only $150 and does what about 30 other pedals do combined!

Good Luck, Frank

dmorton67
02-14-2013, 03:11 PM
I use a boss me-25. It's ok but you have to tweak it. Probably won't need it much when my 2-channel H arrives at the end of the month. :D

Chris528
02-14-2013, 03:31 PM
Wel, the RP500 has a cast metal housing. I have tried it out and really like it. Looked at the RP1000 as well, but don't think it's worth the exta $100 to me.

sergiodeblanc
02-14-2013, 03:45 PM
I bought a Boss GT6 to replace my rack, $100 on craigslist and I'm fairly happy with it.

justmund
02-14-2013, 03:54 PM
IMO it depends on what you want out of a multifx unit?

Do you need amp modelling?
Do you prefer to use patches, or do you prefer to switch fx on and off, or a combination of both?
Do you need overdrive/distortion type fx? Or will the amp take care of this?
Do you want an inbuilt expression pedal, or are you ok with having a separate one? Do you need 2 expression/volume pedals?
Do you intend to run this in 4CM (4 Cable Method, as in before the preamp and in the fx loop of the amp, so the fx are in their "correct" place)?
Does your amp need a buffer?
What sort of fx do you want, run of the mill, or run of the mill plus crazy synth/pitch modulation?
Do you want the flexibility to be able to add/power other fx pedals?
What's your budget?

I know that's a lot of questions, but I think answering them will help narrowing down a suggestion for you :)

Mikegarveyblues
02-14-2013, 04:16 PM
Had a load.

Some Korg thing... Thing it was ASX-1G or something like that. Got me through college anyhoo.
Line-6 POD 2, XT Live, X3
Boss ME-50
Some ZOOM thing
Boss GT-10 (Last Multi FX)

I finally went back to analogue / Valve for my main rig beacuse I always felt something was lacking and I didn't want to spend more time tweaking than playing.

They have their uses and these days are very good. I've got a little Mustang 1 modelling practice amp that does me just fine for a hundred notes. But when it comes to recording i'm happier with the tones I get from my valve amp and a small selection of analogue pedals.

Each to their own and of course, there's no right or wrong. Just what works for you.

LSchefman
02-14-2013, 04:47 PM
The TC Nova system has the excellent TC time-based effects, and an analog overdrive stage. It's well made, and has a built in power supply system with a real power cord instead of a wall wart.

I had one for a while, and thought it was the nicest multi-effects I'd tried up to that point.

gush
02-14-2013, 05:47 PM
I still use TC electronics G-major. I really like spill over effects and it has a switching jack that can be used to channel switch my 5150 which can be added to any patch. I had the outer control ring fall off and get lost but TC sent me one no issues.

Chris528
02-14-2013, 06:03 PM
Do you need amp modelling? NO
Do you prefer to use patches, or do you prefer to switch fx on and off, or a combination of both? BOTH
Do you need overdrive/distortion type fx? Or will the amp take care of this? YES NO
Do you want an inbuilt expression pedal, or are you ok with having a separate one? Do you need 2 expression/volume pedals? WANT BUILT IN NO
Do you intend to run this in 4CM (4 Cable Method, as in before the preamp and in the fx loop of the amp, so the fx are in their "correct" place)? NO
Does your amp need a buffer? NO
What sort of fx do you want, run of the mill, or run of the mill plus crazy synth/pitch modulation? BASICALLY RUN OF THE MILL
Do you want the flexibility to be able to add/power other fx pedals? YES
What's your budget? $300-$400

justmund
02-14-2013, 06:20 PM
I'd be looking at the Digitech RP500 or RP1000 then (caveat - I've never played one), but I've owned a M13, Nova System, HD500 and now have a G-System (amazing unit, but it doesn't suit your needs). I say Digitech because they get favourable reviews over the HD500, and it seems the only benefit of a HDx is the amp modelling, and since you don't need that...

I'd go with the RP1000, the extra footswitches (for me) would be worth it, so you can use patches and also switch fx on and off. For me, only having 5 switches on the RP500 wouldn't be enough, but I like to use only 1 patch live (my setup on the HD500 was 3 different kinds of overdrive/distortion, one for the wah, tremolo, delay, gate, boost/EQ).

If you don't mind an external expression pedal (have a look at the Mission Engineering ones) then totally try a Nova System. As Les said, the time based fx are top notch, and it has an analog drive section. I found "only" having 1 overdrive and 1 distortion was limiting for me (as per above live setup) but it might be enough for you.

As always, try before you buy, dedicate a day to going into a music shop or 2 and trying the units out. Take your guitar and amp in and see how they all work together (if possible).

Chris528
02-14-2013, 07:09 PM
Thanks for your advice I really appreciate it.

Hopeful Sinner
02-14-2013, 11:25 PM
I would suggest looking at the Fender Mustang Floor... I'm not a multi effects unit kinda guy but it's pretty versatile and great for recording...

iounothing
02-15-2013, 09:52 AM
I had an RP1000 for a while then unloaded it. No matter how much tweaking I did, it still sounded "artificial" to me. Maybe I'm just old school, but I like to have the amp do most of the work, then pedals for subtle effects.

Chris528
02-27-2013, 05:56 PM
Well after a lot of reading reviews and trying out different pedals I ended up getting the Digitech RP1000. I was actually going to get the RP500, but found new RP1000 cheaper than a RP500 would cost me.

I'm pretty happy with my decision so far. Haven't had a lot of time to really get into to personal settings or online downloads, but I will.

boxstop7
03-07-2013, 06:00 PM
Lots of great advice here! If I may add an additional $0.02 -

I recently off-loaded the Line 6 POD HD300 that I had for about 2 years. It didn't work for me. First, Line 6 was constantly monkeying with the settings and the presets, and the updates got to be too annoying. Then they issued a "critical" firmware update that messed up nearly every preset (that's 4 presets in each of 32 banks if you're curious) such that the volume output was severely curtailed to the point that it was barely audible. The only way to fix it was to go in to the editing software and manually switch the one setting. But even after doing that and uploading it back to the POD, when you powered it off it'd just reset itself and you had to do it all over again the next time. When I tried to restore it to to the factory default to undo all of the crap updating they had done, I discovered that they had changed the "factory default" settings (they even completely removed my favorite preset). It was a known issue, and Line 6 basically said "oh well, deal with it". Additionally, the tuners on Line 6 products, in my experience, have been sketchy at best, and the expression pedal on that HD300 was awful (it was basically an on/off switch with almost no actual range).

However, the single biggest reason I got rid of it was because there was no bypass feature (nor with any of the POD HD product line). No matter what you selected, it was always running an amp model and an effect of some kind (even if it was the generic "clean" settings). What is the point of running my 408 clean through my Vox tube amp if my multi-effects processor is still applying an amp model at all times? That was the final straw for me. I sold it, went back to pedals/stompboxes, and put together a pedal board. I've never been happier.

No matter which multi-effects unit you choose, my input would be to make sure it has a bypass feature. If that's not important to you, then by all means ignore me. But I wanted to at least share my experience and mention it. :-)

LSchefman
03-07-2013, 06:25 PM
No matter which multi-effects unit you choose, my input would be to make sure it has a bypass feature. If that's not important to you, then by all means ignore me. But I wanted to at least share my experience and mention it. :-)

I think that's great advice.

Most multi-effects pedals add a certain amount of digital hash or hiss to the signal chain unless they're able to be bypassed, but there's one solution to consider: A true bypass loop switchbox. With one small box, you can completely switch out the multi-effects, and if you like, even switch additional stuff in and out of the signal chain.

This place does a nice job:

http://www.roadrageprogear.com

Boogeyman
03-09-2013, 07:14 AM
Can any of you explain the effects loop and the 4cm method in more detail? I have a boss gt-6 that I've always plugged right into the front of the amp. I done some reading and watched a couple of videos on youtube about effects loops, and most people say "dont" run distortion through the loop, that it's intended for reverbs and chorus etc... with multi effects, you're running it "all" through the loop, so is there a disadvantage to this other than sound quality? Will it hurt the amp at all?

Boogeyman
03-09-2013, 09:07 AM
Can any of you explain the effects loop and the 4cm method in more detail? I have a boss gt-6 that I've always plugged right into the front of the amp. I done some reading and watched a couple of videos on youtube about effects loops, and most people say "dont" run distortion through the loop, that it's intended for reverbs and chorus etc... with multi effects, you're running it "all" through the loop, so is there a disadvantage to this other than sound quality? Will it hurt the amp at all?

Anyone, Anyone at all?

Steph
03-09-2013, 09:38 AM
Anyone, Anyone at all?

I'm no FX expert. That said, I'don't think its about "hurting" the amp. OD and distortion FX are made to push or drive the pre-amp into clipping earlier and differently than it would on its own, hence the name "over-drive". An FX loop puts your FXs between the pre-amp and the power amp. So if you put your distortion in the FX loop, you bypass the pre-amp it is suppose to drive to create your tone.

Hope I'm right on this
.........and making myself clear.

vchizzle
03-09-2013, 11:00 AM
I'm no FX expert. That said, I'don't think its about "hurting" the amp. OD and distortion FX are made to push or drive the pre-amp into clipping earlier and differently than it would on its own, hence the name "over-drive". An FX loop puts your FXs between the pre-amp and the power amp. So if you put your distortion in the FX loop, you bypass the pre-amp it is suppose to drive to create your tone.

Hope I'm right on this
.........and making myself clear.
That's mostly right except you're not bypassing the preamp if the distortion is in the loop...you're just placing it in a different spot. It just sounds different. I like to have mostly everything except reverbs and delays in front of the amp. They have more impact and a more dramatic affect on the sound. Placing chorus, flangers, filter type effects like wah & synth in the loop will make them a little more subtle. If using a high gain amp, that's when you really want the reverb and delay in the loop because it gets too messy and sloppy running them in front of high gain most of the time. If you run an amp that's clean all the time it doesn't matter much but you'll usually want the OD's, distortions, etc before the reverbs and delays.

The four cable method is just routing your effects in a multi-fx unit to different jacks coming out of the unit itself. There usually needs to be a setting or programming feature in the unit to do that. Would probably be labeled as inputs/outputs for the ones intended to in front of the amp(chor, flanger, etc) and FX loop in/out on the jacks that would run to your actual loop on the amp for time based effects like delay and reverb. I think with the gt-6, the "external" jacks would go to the loop of an amp? I'm not familiar with the unit so you better check the manual. If you search boss gt-6 4cm, you'll find a bunch of stuff. Looks like there's just a button you push twice to run it that way? I didn't read that close since I don't have the unit but... http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1499141

Steph
03-09-2013, 11:18 AM
Here's the sort of info out there on the web that led me to understand the FX loop as being in between the pre-amp and power amp stages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_loop

I'm not saying I'm right. "Au contraire". Just curious to learn and get someone else's take on this.
Is this info bogus?

PS.: S'cuse my french... ;)

Woundtight
03-09-2013, 11:31 AM

If the multi-effects unit has the ability to have an assignable chain, then you can get the most out of the 4 cable method. So you assign, or select which effects stay in front and which one go in the loop. I have a Boss GT-10 that works great for this, I don't know if the Boss GT-6 will allow you to do this, let's assume it's the same.

Physical connections would be:
Guitar>GT-6 In
GT-6 Out > Amp Input
GT Loop Send> Amp Return
GT Loop Return> Amp Send

For starters, if you have a good amp and cab, switch off the amp and speaker sims in the GT-6.
The GT-6 has a manual stomp box mode so you turn effects on and off by stomping on a switch. Rather than a preset/ that turn on and off a series or chain of effects.. I would start with the stompbox mode when using the 4CM. So imagine you have 5 effects want in a chain. Wah>Overdrive> Boost> Delay>Reverb. In the GT-6 you can create the chain and assign where each effect goes, in front or in the loop. Of course, in this example I would put the Delay and reverb or any modulation effects in the loop.

Boogeyman
03-10-2013, 09:04 AM
Thanks so much for the replies :) ...I'll play around with the 4cm some and see what happens.

Boogeyman
03-10-2013, 09:16 AM
this video is what lead me to believe there could be amp damage from running distortion through the loop...he mentions it at about 3:20 in the video. Not the best of 3 videos I watched, but that comment caught my attention. He's also using individual stomp boxes rather than a multi unit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sbqIaY-1BA

Raven17
03-10-2013, 09:56 AM
Question, do you have more than one amp? I ask because I recently started going in the opposite direction when I bought a new amp. I had been running a lesser brand 2x12 combo amp using a Digitech GNX4 thru the clean channel. I got an amazing deal on a Randall tube amp and a 4x12 cabinet. This is my first tube amp and the quality of the sound was amazing thru both channels. This is where I could REALLY hear the difference between my PRS guitars and the others. But when I hooked up my Digitech it was sadly lacking. A friend of mine advised me to try some analog pedals with my tube amp and that made the magic happen! One of the pedals had stereo outputs and I had the bright idea of using both amps at the same time. Using all analog thru the tube amp and the Digitech thru the combo amp and holy cow the massive full sound and tone. So long story short, try having your cake and eat it too! :top: