PDA

View Full Version : NGD - Paul Reed Smith 7 String (Maryland Made?!)

themike
02-16-2013, 11:01 PM
So it's no secret I'm a fan of PRS and love working with the team of guys in Paul's Tech Center (PTC). Well, after my last refinish went over so well I wasn't sure what I could do to ever top it. Then it hit me - a few years ago my friend Hans and I were discussing the logistics of transforming a 12 string to a 7 string. I'll spare you all the details, but that's what we did here. You can check out the build thread here. (http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?2259-3-Mike-7-12)

I received the guitar a day or two ago and have been playing it NON stop. Since it was a conversion, the string spacing on this guitar is a little tighter than your typical 7 string, although not by much. After 5 minutes, I've fully adjusted and completely used to it and not for nothing, I think the smaller spacing has made me more accurate!

The finish is a custom color - it's their Jet White with a "contour burst" and white binding. The pickups are Bareknuckle Black Hawks that have been tweaked and run through PRS' 408 switching system (hence the mini toggles). We had to go with a blade pickup design and this fit my requirements as I've heard it was great split.

http://oi46.tinypic.com/292o51j.jpg

http://oi50.tinypic.com/i2ir07.jpg

http://oi45.tinypic.com/vsoth4.jpg

Tone report? You want a tone report? BAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMM. There's your tone report. Plugging it in and ringing out was like a truck crashing into the side of my face. It sounds MASSIVE, yet very clear and precise. I was a little curious about how the low B would sound on a shorter scaled 7 and I have to say that I have nothing but praise! I ran it through my Fractal at home for a few days and loved how it sound, but once I got to the studio I ran it through a 5150 and an FJA modded Peavy preamp and it made my hair stand. The coil splitting is fantastic and gets some of the most amazing tone's I've ever gotten before. Would you believe me that I got a nice, quaky strat sound on this guitar... because I did!

Again the notes are clear, the feel is tight but comfortable and the sound is huge. The bridge, which was custom milled by the PTC, is awesome. Super sturdy with great sustain and a comfortable feel.

The finish of this guitar is factory fresh - but you knew that. It literally looks like something that has been in production for years. We were originally going to go with Jet white only and a black back but Dave from PTC suggest the contour burst and I knew I had to go for it. I never really liked silverburst guitars but this just strikes me right in the heart. The clear looks like the guitar is encased in glass.

http://oi46.tinypic.com/14cy3gh.jpg

http://oi46.tinypic.com/2epk4ko.jpg

http://oi46.tinypic.com/6pt25x.jpg

http://oi48.tinypic.com/2qjjfo1.jpg

So to wrap it up, this project was amazing to be a part of and I am beyond grateful I somehow conned them into accepting it! :rofl: The guys at the PTC are some of the most talented and creative people I've ever met. A lot of guys I think still have a hang up on PRS guitars and think they are just collector items and while it is true that they make some amazing pieces, you can also call them up and talk to customer service instantly. You can email them and have a response within an hour. You can send your beat up PRS to the PTC and have it adjusted, lightly modded or a piece of full blown insanity (a la this!).

I will also try and record some video clips for the curious but I'm pretty busy right now so it might have to be in the near future.

I'd like to thank Shawn for accepting this insane project, Skitchy for figuring it out and actually making it happen, Han's for coming up with the idea with me years ago on BAM, Dave and the rest of the PTC crew, Paul for creating PTC, Skitchy again because of how much work he did on it, and also Shawn again for swapping out the 12 string case for a gorgeous case from his personal collection. Thank you guys!!!!

sergiodeblanc
02-16-2013, 11:06 PM
http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p506/sergiodeblanc/bangin_berrics1_zpsb7150622.jpg

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
02-16-2013, 11:11 PM
First let me say that these are fantastic photos. They really give a good feel for the guitar.

Second, the custom machined bridge is a real treat and the wood-mods were executed perfectly. The paint job brought it all together for a completely custom vibe. Skitchy and the boys illustrated (again) that they can take a guitar anywhere you want or need it to go. It's like having your very own guitar tech.

The final outcome exceeded the dream, 3-Mike. You have a very special 7-string guitar. Not just a special PRS.

LSchefman
02-16-2013, 11:32 PM
That's just an awesome guitar. It really turned out fantastic.

Blackbird
02-16-2013, 11:46 PM
That is AMAZING, congrats!

Oh and Shawn posted this clip of you receiving it...
http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab156/ahogfan80/829575_o_zps28efe441.gif

PRSHB2
02-16-2013, 11:55 PM
I can see you sitting there just caressing it. Very impressive work!!! I look forward to clips. CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WEDGE
02-17-2013, 02:12 AM
Gorgeous guitar. I am psyched for you!

veinbuster
02-17-2013, 06:35 AM
Great photos.
Great execution of an idea.
Great guitar.

And I didn't know anybody still had those wild Kustom cabinets. I toted a couple of blue 6 footers around for a while.

DISTORT6
02-17-2013, 07:00 AM
Good for you, man! That 7 is absolutely beautiful.
I am looking forward to the clips.

IRG
02-17-2013, 07:17 AM
Wow that is very cool, awesome project for sure. Kinda makes me more curious about the SE Custom 24 7string coming out soon. Never played a 7 string before, but I'm tempted.

sleary
02-17-2013, 07:25 AM
I love it, great job by the ptc crew again.

themike
02-17-2013, 08:19 AM
Thanks everyone! Its definitely a killer guitar and I couldn't have been more happy with the way it turned out!

And yeah, those are two original Kustom's from the 70s - good eye(s)! haha

Mikegarveyblues
02-17-2013, 08:34 AM
Looks great! PTC strikes again! :)

Jealous of that Hiwatt BTW!

Cool setup or what?!

Michael B
02-17-2013, 08:38 AM
Congrats dude!!! They knocked it outa the park!! Freakin Phenominal!

Shawn@PRS
02-17-2013, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the write up Mike, I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your new guitar!

themike
02-17-2013, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the write up Mike, I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your new guitar!

Anytime my friend! Thanks again for everything you've done!

Hopeful Sinner
02-17-2013, 09:04 AM
Mike, that is simply a true thing of beauty. The finish alone was worth the price of admission. It just goes to show the level of craftsmanship, artistry and care these guys have for the guitar. It is truly awesome that you have an absolute one of a kind guitar. I'm just so blown away by this one... Outstanding job Skitchy and Shawn and everyone else in the PTC.. And Mike, the mad scientist, your ideas are inspiring to an old dog like me. Fearless seems a good word to sum it all up. You, the PTC and PRS are fearless and for that, we thank you!!!

AaeCee
02-17-2013, 10:44 AM
Wow. If only you had a bit more of a selection in amps and mixing boards, you could REALLY discover that thing's full potential! ; - )

vchizzle
02-17-2013, 11:05 AM
Congrats Mike! That turned out absolutely amazing! Love that finish.

slowro
02-17-2013, 11:41 AM
I didn't expect anything less from PTC but still WOW. flawless and the detail is top notch

We need a video of this in action
just a couple of riffs Mike go on! :top:

VHTStark
02-17-2013, 03:03 PM
Wow.....just....WOW!!!! Enjoy your new axe bro! Looking forward to vid clips when you get a chance!

justmund
02-17-2013, 05:03 PM
We're not supposed to swear which makes commenting on this one very difficult!

Congratulations to you and all involved, it's just mindblowingly awesome! Best tone report ever too!

jfb
02-17-2013, 05:16 PM
Mike, I heard you are bringing this guitar to 2013 Experience and we are staying at the same hotel...haha. I want to play it!

But seriously, :congrats: PTC and Mike. This project was a joy to watch.

themike
02-17-2013, 07:29 PM
Mike, I heard you are bringing this guitar to 2013 Experience and we are staying at the same hotel...haha. I want to play it!

But seriously, :congrats: PTC and Mike. This project was a joy to watch.

HAHA I was tossing around the idea but I think I'd freak out about when I wasn't in the room, you know? Otherwise I totally would!

Roddie
02-17-2013, 09:22 PM
Reminds me of the old silverburst on the Lp's. Can't believe that was a 12 string. Great job.

jfb
02-17-2013, 09:25 PM
HAHA I was tossing around the idea but I think I'd freak out about when I wasn't in the room, you know? Otherwise I totally would!

Right on. I'm usually in no shape to play guitar by the time I reach my hotel anyway. :beer:

DISTORT6
02-18-2013, 05:55 AM
Mike, was the neck re-shaped?

aduayer
02-18-2013, 06:03 AM
Amazing and you must be amazed... so congratz once more. can't find the words so, let's rock it out loud!

Albrecht Smuten
02-18-2013, 06:13 AM
Post from beyond: Albrecht died of heart attack after seeing this.

TAJ
02-18-2013, 06:46 AM
Great to hear your review of the guitar now that you have spent some time with it. It looks amazing, and in your own words, sounds amazing as well!! Awesome work from the PTC crew!!

rugerpc
02-18-2013, 07:54 AM
Post from beyond: Albrecht died of heart attack after seeing this.

Slaps the paddles on Albrecht... "CLEAR!" BZZZZZZZZZZZT!

Whew, that was close....

Albrecht Smuten
02-18-2013, 08:54 AM
Slaps the paddles on Albrecht... "CLEAR!" BZZZZZZZZZZZT!

Whew, that was close....

Thanks, doc... it's the double espresso, you know...

QueenCityGuitars
02-18-2013, 09:22 AM
http://oi46.tinypic.com/292o51j.jpg

That turned out fantastic, Mike! :adore: I'm glad to hear that it plays and sounds as great as it looks. Congrats, man! :rock:

markie
02-18-2013, 09:28 AM
3Mike Fugg'in Rock'in the World ................ :rock: :rock:

A job well done Gents in the PTC :congrats:

Dirty Bob
02-18-2013, 09:48 AM
Absolutely killer Mike...I keep coming back to check out the pictures....unbelievable!

38Roars
02-18-2013, 09:55 AM
Amazing!!! Congrats to Mike and the PTC!

themike
02-19-2013, 09:40 AM
Thanks everyone!

I just want to take a moment to say "WOW". I posted a NGD thread for this guitar on a few boards and I'll admit that I expected some cynics to come out of the woodwork for it but to my surprise, I have recieved 100% positived comments from everyrone, everywhere! This is a testament to PTC and their work - even people who are openly not fans of PRS guitars have been wowed by the work on this guitar and that means so much. Way to kick ass, guys!

As far as the gutiar itself, I got to use it in a band setting yesterday for a quick writing session. I played it through an Engl and must say that its perfect. Its absolutely everything I could have ever wanted in a 7 string - its clear, articulate, and still sustaining from a ringout yesterday. The cleans are sparkly, chimey but still full of body. I am 100% used to the spacing and have no issues playing it at all.

I also want to say that I have people asking about the color left and right - Shawn, we might have stumbled on to greatness here!

Mike Duncan
02-19-2013, 09:59 AM
Videos! We need to hear and see her in action! That sounds wrong.

Shawn@PRS
02-19-2013, 10:01 AM
I also want to say that I have people asking about the color left and right - Shawn, we might have stumbled on to greatness here!

The Storm Trooper

Steph
02-19-2013, 10:16 AM
The Storm Trooper

Yeah! :top:

Could work on a Tatouine Beach cross fade! Or a Jabba the Hut smoke burst! :biggrin:

aduayer
02-19-2013, 10:24 AM
The Storm Trooper

"if you only knew the power of The Dark Side"

Hopeful Sinner
02-19-2013, 10:28 AM

The Storm Trooper

I gotta say, this finish is the first I've seen in a while that absolutely blew me away. It's so simple and at the same time very bold. L. O. V. E. it...

A 408 Standard with RW neck in Storm Troop3r would be dreamy...

themike
02-19-2013, 10:42 AM
"if you only knew the power of The Dark Side"

Its funny because Storm Trooper was exactly what I thought of when we spec'd it - I actualloy posted a photo of a storm trooper in the build thread LOL

It works perfectly because my black Tremonti is dubbed "Lord Vader"

Shawn@PRS
02-19-2013, 11:28 AM
Its funny because Storm Trooper was exactly what I thought of when we spec'd it - I actualloy posted a photo of a storm trooper in the build thread LOL

It works perfectly because my black Tremonti is dubbed "Lord Vader"

We talked about this early on in the project. You thought of the name, I just re-hashed it.

Michael B
02-19-2013, 03:49 PM
The Storm Trooper......perfect!!!

PRSHB2
02-20-2013, 01:47 AM
You mentioned the string spacing being a bit tighter as compared to a std-7 string. I've never played a 7-string of any kind. How does the spacing on yours compare to a 6-string? Storm Trooper - Love It!

themike
02-20-2013, 07:50 AM
You mentioned the string spacing being a bit tighter as compared to a std-7 string. I've never played a 7-string of any kind. How does the spacing on yours compare to a 6-string? Storm Trooper - Love It!
It's definitely tighter than a 6 since basically a normal 7 has almost the same spacing as a 6, just extended. I like it though because now that I've adjusted to the spacing without effort, I can jump between a 6 and a 7 with no uncomfortable feeling. Usually there is a minute or two adjusting.

Its really cool, I think a lot of guys would have fun with a 7 who seem to think that it's insane to even try!

PRSHB2
02-20-2013, 10:26 AM
It's definitely tighter than a 6 since basically a normal 7 has almost the same spacing as a 6, just extended. I like it though because now that I've adjusted to the spacing without effort, I can jump between a 6 and a 7 with no uncomfortable feeling. Usually there is a minute or two adjusting.

Its really cool, I think a lot of guys would have fun with a 7 who seem to think that it's insane to even try!
Thanks for the explanation. The likelihood of me ever coming into contact with a 7-string is slim to none, but if I do I will check it out.

themike
02-23-2013, 07:10 PM
Tried to play around and capture the color today - not bad!

http://oi50.tinypic.com/4kdfp.jpg

http://oi49.tinypic.com/1fagxy.jpg

Shawn@PRS
02-23-2013, 07:48 PM
Sexy!

themike
02-23-2013, 07:55 PM
Sexy!

Dude I told you not to call me that in public, Hans gets jealous!

Dirty Bob
02-23-2013, 09:15 PM
Mike....it's unreal...congrats for like the umpteenth time! Must be amazing to play!

jcha008
02-23-2013, 11:14 PM
Sorry Mike. The more I look at this thing, the more I get disgusted. Just a crappy color combination and 7 strings is just wrong :D! All kidding aside, that thing is just gorgeous. Enjoy that beauty for many years to come! ! God, I want a PRS seven string so bad.

slowro
02-24-2013, 05:56 AM
You got your dream man!
If it sounds half as good as it looks wow!!

alantig
02-24-2013, 07:06 PM
So typical of the jaded, prima donna inner-circle artist these days...

"Gimme a 7-string! I want a 7-string."

"We're announcing our new 7-string model."

"No. No no no no no. GImme a custom 7-string that's one-of-a-kind, not like the ones those run-of-the-mill schmucks can buy in the stores."

:wink:

Very nice, Mike - and great job Skitchy!

themike
02-24-2013, 11:29 PM
So typical of the jaded, prima donna inner-circle artist these days...

"Gimme a 7-string! I want a 7-string."

"We're announcing our new 7-string model."

"No. No no no no no. GImme a custom 7-string that's one-of-a-kind, not like the ones those run-of-the-mill schmucks can buy in the stores."

:wink:

Very nice, Mike - and great job Skitchy!

HAHAHA I promise we started this project before the SE7 was announced!

themike
02-28-2013, 06:51 PM
So I got a present in the mail today! Todd (GoldFixer on VR and BAM) went out of his way to make this TRC for the guitar! I am not only wowed by his generosity but inlove with how freaking cool it is! I know he doesn't come on here much, but I gotta' give him props. This is why I love the PRS community - everyone is just such a cool person and just loves the brand.

Thanks Todd!!!!

Also shoutout to Shawn for naming the thread - I bet you didn't think it'd turn up on a TRC! haha

http://i47.tinypic.com/2zrex6u.jpg

Mike Duncan
02-28-2013, 07:33 PM
Suh-weeet!

sergiodeblanc
02-28-2013, 07:56 PM
Super bangin'

Shawn@PRS
02-28-2013, 08:56 PM
So I got a present in the mail today! Todd (GoldFixer on VR and BAM) went out of his way to make this TRC for the guitar! I am not only wowed by his generosity but inlove with how freaking cool it is! I know he doesn't come on here much, but I gotta' give him props. This is why I love the PRS community - everyone is just such a cool person and just loves the brand.

Thanks Todd!!!!

Also shoutout to Shawn for naming the thread - I bet you didn't think it'd turn up on a TRC! haha

http://i47.tinypic.com/2zrex6u.jpg

That's gonna look good sitting on the headstock!

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
02-28-2013, 09:56 PM
Very nice, Mike.

AEnesidem
12-24-2013, 04:20 AM
I would love a PRS 7-string. Gorgeous!

themike
12-24-2013, 05:39 AM
Thanks guys, glad to see people still digging up the threads! :)

Since the string spacing was so unique Skitchy (of PTC fame) had to custom mill the saddles of this bridge for it to work. It is still the most special thing I possess.

Boogie
12-24-2013, 07:22 AM
3Mike fuggin' rocks (in the immortal words of Markie)! And so does his skull-shattering rock beast. :rock:

alantig
12-24-2013, 02:20 PM
I would love a PRS 7-string. Gorgeous!

Don't be afraid of the SE-7. Very good guitar. Well worth the money.

StayKruel
12-24-2013, 03:52 PM
I'm legitimately drooling right now

themike
12-24-2013, 04:19 PM
Thanks guys! All credit goes to Skitchy, Shawn and the PTC boys.

Don't be afraid of the SE-7. Very good guitar. Well worth the money.

Agreed! This guitar means to much to me to gig so I have a couple of SE-7's for live and they definitely hold it down!

Shawn@PRS
02-12-2014, 09:17 AM
Has it been a year already? They grow up so fast

themike
02-12-2014, 09:39 AM
Has it been a year already? They grow up so fast

Ooof, I know. Which reminds me - can you drive him to soccer this weekend? I have a work thing haha :D

Shawn@PRS
02-12-2014, 09:57 AM
Ooof, I know. Which reminds me - can you drive him to soccer this weekend? I have a work thing haha :D

Uh, yeah. I think I can do that!

Spikedog007
02-12-2014, 12:09 PM
That turned out awesome! Congrats!

Raven17
02-12-2014, 02:21 PM
Wow. Love it!

richardlpalmer
02-16-2014, 03:12 PM
So awesome!

Bufford T
02-16-2014, 03:24 PM
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t92/Bufford_T/ebf370baa7d5594d062ff69f67b9d592_zps9e8fc0a2.jpg

i love everything about this - congrats!!!