PDA

View Full Version : What guitarist would you most like to emulate?

frankb56
02-20-2013, 11:55 AM
I know there are many great guitarists out there. The usual come to mind like Clapton, Santana, Page, Beck. For me, I just can't stop listening to Pat Metheny. I just picked up his two disc Orchestration CD and I am just blown away by his creativeness. I saw him do this show last year at CW Post in Long Island. If you have never seen what he does do yourself a favor and check it out on youtube. In essence, he controls a whole load of external sounds from various instruments, percussion, etc. through his guitar. He also has a DVD out. I wish I could play one chord as well as he does.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQrCIZvy1g9uVlLYJ9hQw_sIsRXnvCkF 49MdUSsDP1eMrR7DtDbwFfSSA

Rango
02-20-2013, 12:01 PM
Easy - The Rev. Willie G. :D

Just love his tone and feel. ;)

Roddie
02-20-2013, 12:08 PM
I'm gonna have to go with Slash on this one

geese_com
02-20-2013, 12:16 PM
I would have to pick Guthrie Govan. To be so well versed in so many different styles is just amazing.

AP515
02-20-2013, 12:20 PM
I get to be the first one to invoke the name David Gilmour. Cool! :)

frankb56
02-20-2013, 12:21 PM
Yeah Govan is definitely genius level....along with Steve Howe!

jfb
02-20-2013, 12:21 PM
Today it's Tosin Abasi from Animals As Leaders. PRS needs to make this guy an 8.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5kXnPU4egE

Steph
02-20-2013, 12:24 PM
I know there are many great guitarists out there. The usual come to mind like Clapton, Santana, Page, Beck. For me, I just can't stop listening to Pat Metheny. I just picked up his two disc Orchestration CD and I am just blown away by his creativeness. I saw him do this show last year at CW Post in Long Island. If you have never seen what he does do yourself a favor and check it out on youtube. In essence, he controls a whole load of external sounds from various instruments, percussion, etc. through his guitar. He also has a DVD out. I wish I could play one chord as well as he does.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQrCIZvy1g9uVlLYJ9hQw_sIsRXnvCkF 49MdUSsDP1eMrR7DtDbwFfSSA

Yeah! Metheny rules, man...

Another one that got me out of the rock sphere and broaden my views on guitar playing was Joe Pass... He made me buy my first jazzbox some 20 yrs ago.

And or course, we can't forget Django...

WEDGE
02-20-2013, 12:38 PM
Gary Moore. I love VH but Moore's playing I wish I could cop.

close second for SRV.

carpincowboy
02-20-2013, 12:49 PM
I get to be the first one to invoke the name David Gilmour. Cool! :)
I,ll second that. Guthrie is my second choice

LSchefman
02-20-2013, 12:52 PM
I don't like playing anyone else's licks or material, but there are guitarists whose creativity and melodic sense I find really inspiring:

I'll be another one to say that David Gilmour is an inspiration. He's melodic, his work simply flows, and it's uniquely suited to his songs.

For textures, I love The Edge. I won't go as far as to say he's invented a whole style of playing, but he's certainly refined it in a good way.

As for trad blues playing, I really still dig Clapton.

frankb56
02-20-2013, 01:01 PM
How about Al DiMeola? DiMeola is like the Stevie Vai of Jazz. And speaking of Vai, .....How can I forget Joe Satriani!

crgtr
02-20-2013, 01:24 PM
I would like to steal some licks from Frank Marino, Gary Moore & EVH to start with

dmorton67
02-20-2013, 01:33 PM
Jimmy Page

Goldtop
02-20-2013, 01:37 PM
Honestly, I don't ever think of trying to sound like anybody else; I just want to get closer to the sounds and tones I hear in my heart and mind. There are a number of players that I really enjoy listening to, but I never think to myself 'I wish I could sound like that.'

Goldtop Lloyd

frankb56
02-20-2013, 01:47 PM
Wow, blast from the past...Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush

Shawn@PRS
02-20-2013, 01:51 PM
If I could play like anyone in the world, it would be Mark Knopfler

sergiodeblanc
02-20-2013, 02:14 PM
Nile Rodgers!!!!

Sekunda
02-20-2013, 02:33 PM
I have a long list of influences... but I want to sound like Warren Haynes! I'm learning a lot of his stuff right now and love the feeling in his playing.

Desperado
02-20-2013, 02:37 PM
I don't want to emulate anybody else, I DO want to have a little bit of talent from everybody's tines in this thread!

TDPRS1
02-20-2013, 02:49 PM
Mark Tremonti

Texas_minor_blues
02-20-2013, 03:50 PM
Dominic Ciferelli

http://youtu.be/mdy-8NbYoSY

wilerty
02-20-2013, 04:38 PM
David Gilmour ... but there are others as well ...

Rango
02-20-2013, 04:44 PM
If I could play like anyone in the world, it would be Mark Knopfler

Knopfler is awesome - I was on a Skydiving 10 way Speed Star Team called "Dire Speed" inspired by him and his mates in Dire Straights. :D

11top
02-20-2013, 06:45 PM
Man, that is tough, but I'm going with Paul Gilbert.

helmi
02-20-2013, 06:54 PM
NILS LOFGREN w/ gary moore a close 2nd.

jcha008
02-20-2013, 07:02 PM
Marty Friedman.

swede71
02-20-2013, 07:28 PM
Tony Iommis crunch,Michael Schenkers leadsound together with Eric Johnsons clean sound.

alantig
02-20-2013, 08:41 PM
I'd like to have the vision, versatility and skill of Mike Keneally. Not to play just like him, just to be able to feel like I could play whatever it was I was trying to get out.

sergiodeblanc
02-20-2013, 08:42 PM
Marty Friedman.

He was untouchable on "Rust in Peace".

auriemma
02-20-2013, 08:52 PM
I'd have to say.... Carlos Santana.

yankeebulldog
02-20-2013, 08:59 PM
I'd have to go with EVH's rhythm and Michael Schenker's lead.

butterfly
02-20-2013, 09:04 PM
Trey Anastasio

http://youtu.be/JttD4a3xR8o

And PRS should try to get a HB in his hands.

PFL
02-20-2013, 09:16 PM
Kenney Burrell mixed with Jeff Beck oh yeah bring on:adore:

But i do think Guthrie would sound great in a PRS from everything that I heard from this guy he loves mahogany and the cutting middles - definetly Paul and him should have a conversation.

Solocaller
02-20-2013, 09:39 PM
Gary Moore, hands down.

jfb
02-20-2013, 09:43 PM

Agreed, Marty dominated that album. It still gets plenty of play time from me.

justmund
02-20-2013, 10:25 PM
How about Al DiMeola?
+1, if I had Al D's chops, I'd be a happy man. Jazz, rock, Flamenco, shred etc that dude can do it all!

sergiodeblanc
02-21-2013, 12:16 AM

I tried to like other thing's by him but he always has that bend-up from-a-weird note thing going on but whatever, his solo's on R.I.P. are the most intelligent, melodic, and singable in the golden period of thrash music.

I bought his "Melodic Control" VHS (!!!!) tape when I was in my teens for like $65!!! Remember those "Star Lick's" video tapes?! Learning is so free now!

Albrecht Smuten
02-21-2013, 02:46 AM
Monotonic as I am, I'd like to be like Michael Akerfeldt. Not just with the guitar sound and the playing skill, but also his vocal skills (including growling) and composition / arrangement creativity... man, am I a fanboy :vroam:

Today it's Tosin Abasi from Animals As Leaders. PRS needs to make this guy an 8.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5kXnPU4egE

Whoa whoa whoa, I've almost got another virtual heart attack! I agree with every single word you said. Few months ago I even started a thread about PRS 8 (pretty much being inspired by Tosin)... almost nobody cared though ;)

jfb
02-21-2013, 07:53 AM
I tried to like other thing's by him but he always has that bend-up from-a-weird note thing going on but whatever, his solo's on R.I.P. are the most intelligent, melodic, and singable in the golden period of thrash music.

I bought his "Melodic Control" VHS (!!!!) tape when I was in my teens for like $65!!! Remember those "Star Lick's" video tapes?! Learning is so free now!

I think his power might come from his super uncomfortable looking pick hand technique. I should hunt those videos up and give them a go. Marty was godlike in those days. Regarding learning being free now days...you are absolutely right. I recently watched a video with Greg Koch where he said there's no excuse to suck anymore due to all of the (legally) free content available to a person. I should stop sucking. Haha.

Monotonic as I am, I'd like to be like Michael Akerfeldt. Not just with the guitar sound and the playing skill, but also his vocal skills (including growling) and composition / arrangement creativity... man, am I a fanboy :vroam:

Whoa whoa whoa, I've almost got another virtual heart attack! I agree with every single word you said. Few months ago I even started a thread about PRS 8 (pretty much being inspired by Tosin)... almost nobody cared though ;)

His singing, both clean and growling, is top notch. Bloodbath, Opeth, Storm Corrosion...all in heavy rotation around my place.

Tosin is a monster. Their first show was actually in STL. Their next time through they claimed to be filming a live DVD. I need to look and see if it ever got released. I was at both shows. I will be seeing them again here in STL on Saturday. Meshuggah headlining. :rock:

Albrecht Smuten
02-21-2013, 08:12 AM
His singing, both clean and growling, is top notch. Bloodbath, Opeth, Storm Corrosion...all in heavy rotation around my place.

Tosin is a monster. Their first show was actually in STL. Their next time through they claimed to be filming a live DVD. I need to look and see if it ever got released. I was at both shows. I will be seeing them again here in STL on Saturday. Meshuggah headlining. :rock:

Bloodbath... I still don't understand why Michael doesn't play guitar and why Jonas doesn't sing there. Now THAT would be "supergroup" :D
Lucky you! I hope they'll come around here one day. This year, I'll have to make do with Brutal Assault festival, with Opeth, Meshuggah, Ihsahn and Leprous :evil:

jfb
02-21-2013, 08:17 AM
Bloodbath... I still don't understand why Michael doesn't play guitar and why Jonas doesn't sing there. Now THAT would be "supergroup" :D
Lucky you! I hope they'll come around here one day. This year, I'll have to make do with Brutal Assault festival, with Opeth, Meshuggah, Ihsahn and Leprous :evil:

Today it's Ihsahn. My car's license plates have read "EQLBRM" for ages and a day.

Albrecht Smuten
02-21-2013, 08:32 AM
Today it's Ihsahn. My car's license plates have read "EQLBRM" for ages and a day.

Wicked :evil:

vchizzle
02-21-2013, 11:19 AM
Kenney Burrell mixed with Jeff Beck oh yeah bring on:adore:

But i do think Guthrie would sound great in a PRS from everything that I heard from this guy he loves mahogany and the cutting middles - definetly Paul and him should have a conversation.

Guthrie used to play PRS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ly93ppdDB0

PFL
02-21-2013, 01:43 PM
Oh yeah saw that video bro - he should come back - for a player that wants to differentiates himself I don't think Charvel is a good fit. On the top of it, his charvel prototype is Suhr copy cat model so next he will be playing fender twin amps with high mods - endorsement deal -:biggrin:

Mikegarveyblues
02-22-2013, 12:32 AM
In my early days on the guitar playing journey I wanted to be Gilmour, Gary Moore, Mark Knopfler and to a degree Slash and perhaps Brian May. These days I have no desire to try and be anyone else but certain elements of these guitarists and others have rubbed off on me. I do a lot of string bending which definately came from listening to Gilmour, whereas my like of legato runs comes from Gary Moore and maybe Slash. From them all - hopefully - is an ear for melody and putting an emphasis on feel rather than pure show off licks.

Blackbear
02-22-2013, 07:11 AM
Gary Moore is the one person that I would aspire to play like.

Captainwave
02-22-2013, 07:36 AM
When I play, I try to come up with my own stuff but of course, my playing and tone is influenced and inspired by several of the big names. For me, like for so many others, David Gilmour is the man. I've listened to Pink Floyd since the early 70's and never, ever get tired of it. And don't forget Steve Hackett. And.... ah, there's so many. Of the younger ones, it has to be Joe Bonamassa. He's incredibly good.

Another one of my great hero's is the SO underrated and uncelebrated Andy Latimer from Camel. That man can play the fiddle. Just listen to the song below and watch the man in the crowd wipe a tear or two after the song. Extremely emotional and soulful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n27l4oxOVck&feature=related

Mikegarveyblues
02-22-2013, 08:18 AM
Lot of love for Gilmour and Gary Moore here on the board!!! :)

Danerada
02-22-2013, 08:31 AM
crgtr (Chris)
Mike Garvey
QueenCity (Bryan)

crgtr
02-22-2013, 08:44 AM
crgtr (Chris)
)
You need to set your goals a little higher! But thanks!

Danerada
02-22-2013, 08:53 AM

Shoot! That goal is too high bro!

QueenCityGuitars
02-22-2013, 08:55 AM
crgtr (Chris)
Mike Garvey
QueenCity (Bryan)
I think Chris may be right...you're setting your expectations kind of low but thank you for the compliment, brother.:star:

You sure you can't make it in March, Dane?

Danerada
02-22-2013, 09:26 AM
I think Chris may be right...you're setting your expectations kind of low but thank you for the compliment, brother.:star:

Unfortunately I cannot. Man I am seriously bummed too....

Mikegarveyblues
02-22-2013, 09:51 AM

+1!

If you heard the playing I did the other day...!!! :(

Danerada
02-22-2013, 10:55 AM
+1!

If you heard the playing I did the other day...!!! :(

That's me everyday!

jcha008
02-23-2013, 10:59 PM

I think his power might come from his super uncomfortable looking pick hand technique. I should hunt those videos up and give them a go. Marty was godlike in those days. Regarding learning being free now days...you are absolutely right. I recently watched a video with Greg Koch where he said there's no excuse to suck anymore due to all of the (legally) free content available to a person. I should stop sucking.

The day I put Rust In Peace in my listening rotation, it has never left. His solos on that album still give me goosebumps when I hear them. Particularly, the one from Lucretia is just astounding. His picking technique is weird as hell, but I agree with Jfb as I think it attributes to his overall unique style.

I miss the days of Mustaine and Friedman. They worked so well together. At least Broderick does justice to Marty's solos. Although, Broderick may be more technically proficient I feel Marty is the better writer in terms of leads.

frankb56
02-26-2013, 11:15 AM
That boy can wail.....

captdg
02-26-2013, 05:50 PM
Gilmour and Trower...But I think that Vito Bratta has some good stuff that is not in the maintstream...

Herr Squid
02-26-2013, 10:55 PM
Gilmour and Trower...But I think that Vito Bratta has some good stuff that is not in the maintstream...

Dude! I remember Vito having a sheer lyricism to his leads that no shredder has matched.

Herr Squid
02-26-2013, 11:00 PM
I'm a rhythm player first and foremost. My style, if I can be said to have one, is a weird pastiche of Lifeson, Hetfield, and EVH with a little DeLeo thrown in.

Lead-wise, I've spent the most time consciously aping Gilmour. But the very weird thing I discovered several years ago was that the lead lines playing in my head are pure Matthias Jabs...

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
02-26-2013, 11:35 PM
Mike Campbell.

Sage
02-27-2013, 12:06 AM
Alex Lifeson (particularly on 2112, Permanent Waves, and Counterparts), followed closely by Eric Johnson (particularly on Venus Isle).

I'm also in love with this guy's tone, never heard anything like it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7rjYip9ORE

Sage
02-27-2013, 12:10 AM
Dominic Ciferelli

WHOA. You just introduced me to something new and awesome.