PDA

View Full Version : Phase III Tuners

Shawn@PRS
02-20-2013, 03:10 PM
By popular demand, the Phase III tuners are now available for sale.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/gitfukintar/PRS/nickel_phase_iii__zpsb347e68d.jpg

http://www.prsaccessories.com/collections/parts/products/prs-phase-iii-locking-tuners-set-of-6

themike
02-20-2013, 03:14 PM
Oh wow, this has been begged and pleaded for since their introduction!

:listens for stampede:

s.fitzsimmons
02-20-2013, 03:31 PM
Nice. Will the buttons be available as well at some point? Would love to see nickel or black as an option.

Shawn@PRS
02-20-2013, 06:33 PM
Nice. Will the buttons be available as well at some point? Would love to see nickel or black as an option.

Faux bone and ebony buttons will be added in the near future

Rodicus
02-20-2013, 06:42 PM
Ebony buttons for Phase III's in the near future. Count me in!

sergiodeblanc
02-20-2013, 08:35 PM
Glad to hear it! Now, all you guys with wing tuners should replace them immediately with Phase III's, send 'em to me and I will make sure they are disposed of properly.

jfb
02-20-2013, 10:55 PM
I just noticed Phase III's have two screws. Will the spacing fit the screw holes left from vintage tuners found on a McCarty model? Really hoping so.

cyclops
02-20-2013, 11:26 PM
Do these fit the Phase IIs? If so, I'll be buying!

MA Pete
02-20-2013, 11:47 PM

Cool! Those are my two favorites! :D

yankeebulldog
02-21-2013, 06:57 AM
I just noticed Phase III's have two screws. Will the spacing fit the screw holes left from vintage tuners found on a McCarty model? Really hoping so.

I've been told they will not. They won't work with the thicker headstock on non-mccarty models. Now if I were them, I'd work on designing a version that would fit the vintage tuner. I'd bet they'd sell a few.

jfb
02-21-2013, 08:00 AM
I've been told they will not. They won't work with the thicker headstock on non-mccarty models. Now if I were them, I'd work on designing a version that would fit the vintage tuner. I'd bet they'd sell a few.

Agreed. Here's to that happening one day. Cheers.

aduayer
02-21-2013, 08:10 AM
please, keep us informed, Chief. those ones are on my wish list

south89
02-21-2013, 08:21 AM

Oh yea I am ready for that option ( Sitting in front of computer looking at the PRS web store and keep hitting the refresh button ):rofl:
:flute::flute:

Mike Duncan
02-21-2013, 08:31 AM
I"ll flip my DGT Standard over and stare at the Phase IIIs - I love them! They work perfectly and look so cool!

s.fitzsimmons
02-21-2013, 12:08 PM
Right on!

helmi
02-21-2013, 06:31 PM

+1000. would love to replace the vintage tuners on my mccarty korina and satin singlecut with prs locking tuners.

Daniel
02-22-2013, 10:44 PM
They'll fit.

http://www.collapseboard.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/sledgehammer.jpg

:laugh:

Gnal
02-24-2013, 03:16 AM
I really like the Phase III's on my guitars. Just for clarification, the Phase III tuner is not a direct replacement for Phase II tuners?

Don't get me wrong, the Phase II's are great as well, I just like the Phase III's better ;)

Shawn@PRS
02-24-2013, 07:42 AM
I really like the Phase III's on my guitars. Just for clarification, the Phase III tuner is not a direct replacement for Phase II tuners?

Don't get me wrong, the Phase II's are great as well, I just like the Phase III's better ;)

The Phase III's are not a direct replacement for the Phase II tuner, nor the Vintage-Style McCarty tuners. The PTC can refinish the back of the headstock and install a set of Phase III's, but finish work will be required if you are looking to make the change.

s.fitzsimmons
02-24-2013, 03:53 PM
The Phase III's are not a direct replacement for the Phase II tuner, nor the Vintage-Style McCarty tuners. The PTC can refinish the back of the headstock and install a set of Phase III's, but finish work will be required if you are looking to make the change.

When they do this is additional material added to the headstock or tuner holes? Very interested.....

Shawn@PRS
02-24-2013, 06:59 PM
The screw holes don't line up, so they will need to be filled and then the back of the headstock needs to be refinished.

s.fitzsimmons
02-25-2013, 11:18 AM
The screw holes don't line up, so they will need to be filled and then the back of the headstock needs to be refinished.

Got it, you're referencing the Phase II to Phase III conversion, not a Vintage Style McCarty replacement...... I have a Korina McCarty that one day will be on it's way to the PTC for some 408's and was hoping for a way to get Phase III's too ;-)

Shawn@PRS
02-28-2013, 08:26 AM
Got it, you're referencing the Phase II to Phase III conversion, not a Vintage Style McCarty replacement...... I have a Korina McCarty that one day will be on it's way to the PTC for some 408's and was hoping for a way to get Phase III's too ;-)

The Phase III's aren't a direct replacemnet for the Vintage Style tuners either. The shaft on the Phase III tuners is longer than the shaft of the vintage tuners, so if if Phase III's are installed, it will change the angle the strings cross over the nut resulting in very little downforce on the nut.

Sekunda
02-28-2013, 09:39 AM
Shawn, I have one of my Phase 3 tuners on my Stripped 58 that is sticking, kinda gets a jump in it when fine tuning. Is there a way to get rid of that? If not, are they available as singles? Thanks

Gnal
02-28-2013, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the info. Shawn. Much appreciated!

JMintzer
02-28-2013, 04:26 PM
Shawn, I have one of my Phase 3 tuners on my Stripped 58 that is sticking, kinda gets a jump in it when fine tuning. Is there a way to get rid of that? If not, are they available as singles? Thanks

It's probably not the tuner, but the string catching in the nut slot....

Jamie

boxstop7
03-20-2013, 08:50 PM
I don't want to pest, but has there been any update on when a faux bone button would be available for the Phase III tuners?

Also, (and unrelated), any chance that a blade switch cap could be available in ivory/creme rather than just black? (I know...I'm asking a lot...sorry!)

Shawn@PRS
03-20-2013, 08:55 PM
I don't want to pest, but has there been any update on when a faux bone button would be available for the Phase III tuners?

Not yet, but if all goes well they will be available by the end of March/beginning of April.

Also, (and unrelated), any chance that a blade switch cap could be available in ivory/creme rather than just black? (I know...I'm asking a lot...sorry!)

Probably not. Paul doesn't like creme switch tips on the 5 way switch

boxstop7
03-20-2013, 09:00 PM
Super awesome news, followed by a slight bummer. You manage expectations like a pro! ;)

Thanks, Shawn...I appreciate the update!

Shawn@PRS
03-20-2013, 09:14 PM
You manage expectations like a pro! ;)

They call me The Dream Smasher :D

Hopeful Sinner
03-21-2013, 02:17 AM
They call me The Dream Smasher :D

Is the "Winged" tuner to Phase II modification still available at the PTC? I have a 1996 CU22 that keeps begging to go home to Maryland for a visit...

Shawn@PRS
03-21-2013, 07:18 AM
Is the "Winged" tuner to Phase II modification still available at the PTC? I have a 1996 CU22 that keeps begging to go home to Maryland for a visit...

Absolutely, we're doing one today in fact. Here is a link to the PTC work order creation page: http://www.prsguitars.com/ptc/contact.html

sergiodeblanc
03-21-2013, 02:08 PM
Absolutely, we're doing one today in fact.

:bawling:

rugerpc
04-25-2013, 08:19 AM
Are you offering clear tuning pegs yet? :)

Herr Squid
04-26-2013, 10:50 PM
Absolutely, we're doing one today in fact. Here is a link to the PTC work order creation page: http://www.prsguitars.com/ptc/contact.html

Wait, maybe that means there's a bunch of wings that could find new homes on Phase IIIs...?

boxstop7
07-06-2013, 09:00 AM
Shawn - a while back, you indicated that if all went well, faux bone buttons for the Phase III tuners might be available for purchase around the April time frame. I've been checking, and I still haven't seen them show up in the parts section of the shop. Does that mean that all did not go well? :-) I'm definitely interested in faux bone buttons should they become available. Are there any updates or new info that you could share on this subject? Thank you, sir!

mferrand
07-08-2013, 01:18 PM
To All,

It would be really good to have the dimensions of the tuners.

Best regards, Mike

tabl10s
07-20-2013, 02:30 AM
Phase III's need to be available in more than one configuration,

mapleleaf14
07-20-2013, 06:54 AM
Probably not. Paul doesn't like creme switch tips on the 5 way switch

That's a shame, since it's MY F@&$ing Guitar and not his!! LOL

I for one would love to see some different options for switch tips, rings, etc.

DISTORT6
07-20-2013, 08:46 AM

:spitcoffee:

Shawn@PRS
07-20-2013, 10:59 AM

I for one would love to see some different options for switch tips, rings, etc.

Yeah, but it's HIS F@&$ing Company. LOL

jfb
07-20-2013, 12:55 PM

I am putting that on the back of the Foosball shirts.

:rock:

mapleleaf14
07-20-2013, 02:42 PM

Oh, I get it! I love the company and the way Paul does things usually, but to not offer something as simple as a different color tip switch just because HE doesn't like it...well, didn't WE pay a few thousand for a guitar and if we want a cream tip instead of black, shouldn't that be ok with him?!?

Actually I wish there was a market for aftermarket stuff like that, Mira pickguards, etc. - other than the wood tips at Crazy Parts, I don't know of any other way to get a different tip color. PRS would probably charge $20 for one - think he could make some $$ off of us that way! LOL. I wish there were more colors for the knobs too...best knobs available IMO.

(No offense meant to Paul or Shawn or anybody else at PRS)

Shawn@PRS
07-20-2013, 03:23 PM
It's all good, I understand completely. With Paul it's not always about making money, he has a specific vision and he wants to keep it on track. I'm not saying selling creme plastic is right or wrong, but it isn't part of the vision he has for PRS guitars. If there is enough demand for aftermarket parts, someone will pick up the mantle and run with it.

DISTORT6
07-20-2013, 03:48 PM

Oh you guys are cracking me up! :laugh:

JustRob
07-20-2013, 03:51 PM
PRS, the Henry Ford of guitars. "Any customer can have a switch tip any colour that he wants so long as it is black." :laugh:

LSchefman
07-20-2013, 04:45 PM
Oh, I get it! I love the company and the way Paul does things usually, but to not offer something as simple as a different color tip switch just because HE doesn't like it...well, didn't WE pay a few thousand for a guitar and if we want a cream tip instead of black, shouldn't that be ok with him?!?

And if the guy who designed and built the guitars doesn't want to be the one to sell them in a world full of aftermarket suppliers that stock them, because he thinks they're ugly on his products, shouldn't that be OK with you? You don't have to agree with his taste. It's not like you can't find them elsewhere. He's not telling you what to do after you buy the guitar.

It bugs me that some folks think buying a product somehow entitles them to make demands, and tell other people how to run their businesses. Really? Where's personal responsibility in all this? You want something customized? How about going out and sourcing something yourself instead of putting it on the other guy?

You didn't buy shares in the company, you bought a guitar. Buying a guitar entitles you to exactly zero right to tell PRS what to do.

What's even sillier about making a fuss over this is that these are things you can buy elsewhere if it really, really bugs you to not have a white one.

Paul Smith isn't telling you that you can't put what you want on your guitar. He's just saying he's not interested in selling them. That's his right. So go put something on the guitar that the guy who designed it doesn't like. That's your right. They are freely available for negligible money.

Just get an aftermarket one. These aren't miracle devices, handmade only for PRSes. They are generally available. They are molded plastic blobs. You can get them elsewhere. What do they cost, a couple of bucks?

You really feel you need one from the PRS shop in order to make yourself feel good? That's silly.

Crazy parts offers not one, but two styles of cream colored plastic Ivoroid 5 way switch tips specifically for PRS in addition to the wooden ones. Allparts has white plastic ones and cream plastic ones that also look like they will fit perfectly. Other people have them, too.

This isn't brain surgery, it isn't unobtainium; if it's what you want, just go and friggin' buy some!

This whole business of "Well I paid X for this product, so they have to listen to me," is absurd. They've sold what, a couple of hundred thousand guitars? Do they have a couple of hundred thousand bosses now, all of whom have differing opinions on a variety of subjects, that they are obligated to listen to?

mapleleaf14
07-20-2013, 05:15 PM
Jeez, settle down! I'm not demanding anything. Just said it'd be nice to have the choice. I actually don't necessarily want a different tip for any of the PRSi I currently have, but I might later down the road. I was just commenting on Shawn's reply to someone who asked about them earlier in the thread! Just thought it was funny the way Shawn commented "probably not because Paul doesn't like them".

I've never actually seen tips like the PRS ones other than the Crazy Parts one and I wouldn't really want to order from Germany. I don't really care, but maybe some people would prefer actual PRS parts instead of aftermarket.

Didnt mean to upset you, LSchefman!

LSchefman
07-20-2013, 05:40 PM
Jeez, settle down! I'm not demanding anything. Just said it'd be nice to have the choice. I actually don't necessarily want a different tip for any of the PRSi I currently have, but I might later down the road. I was just commenting on Shawn's reply to someone who asked about them earlier in the thread! Just thought it was funny the way Shawn commented "probably not because Paul doesn't like them".

I've never actually seen tips like the PRS ones other than the Crazy Parts one and I wouldn't really want to order from Germany. I don't really care, but maybe some people would prefer actual PRS parts instead of aftermarket.

Didnt mean to upset you, LSchefman!

Sorry, my rant wasn't personal. While the idea that a lot of folks have, that's expressed in your post kinda bugs me, I really was ranting about the idea, not you. I'm sure if we sat down for a beer, or had a jam, we'd have fun.

It's just about that one idea. Nothing more. And reasonable people are free to disagree in any case, and still remain on good terms.

Johnnyboy94
07-20-2013, 06:59 PM
so these tuners will work on SE's as well as Maryland Guitars? just curious, as I might get a set down the road.