PDA

View Full Version : Best Deal Ever

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
02-24-2013, 03:00 PM
I was over at my buddies house a few nights back. We were fondling some of his vintage guitars and he was telling me about some of the deals he got "back in the day". He was telling me how some of the prices he paid weren't such a deal at the time. Looking back, however, he practically stole them!

It got me wondering about my "Best Deal Ever" on a PRS - and whether it not it was a good deal by today's standards or just the long run. I looked at my photo albums and came up with a few that stand out. Not because they are worth much more than I paid but because they are an incredible bang for the buck.

At around $450 new, the Korina SE One has got to be one of the best deals out there - for any brand. When you consider the Les Paul Junior sold for $99 in 1958 (that's $776 in todays dollars, accounting for inflation) the SE One is a smoking deal - even if you spend another $120 for a custom P90 and high-quality volume pot.

But the real focus of this thread is used PRS deals. Seems like eBay is a veritable candy shop for those who have the cash. Back in 2006 there were usually around 250 hits for the search words "Paul Reed Smith". These days you will see about 1900. While there will always be guys (like Dick Green) who will buy a new PRS guitar and then post it on eBay for several grand more than he paid, there are many more people who are selling used PRS guitars for prices that are just too hard to pass up.

Then there are the Craigslist deals. I scored a Private Stock Standard 24 for $3100 not so long ago!

But my current Best Deal Ever is a Silver Sparkle Starla. I love this guitar. The shape, the 24.5" scale, and the pimped-out paint job make this all-mahogany rock machine a notable departure from the PRS baseline - and certainly a stand-out amongst the Earth-tone, maple top, double-cuts I usually buy. It comes stock from the factory with the Hans Mod (forearm edge not sharp) and the Markie Mod (volume pot moved back). The pickup system is exclusive to this model and is easily discernable from the current offerings (57/08, 59/09, 53/10, etc). It sounds fantastic in full bucker or split mode. It pairs well with clear or crunchy amps. It has a nice thick neck but remains very well balanced. The Bigsby works stays in tune and gives the thinner body a nice heft. It has birds. And... I got it used for a grand!
:star:
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd272/hansomatic/Collection/Starla/IMG_0018.jpg

Best deal ever? Well... it's a little too subjective to say that emphatically. But I like it just as much as my most expensive guitars. I can't imagine that I'll ever sell it. And, it will never be worth less than what I paid for it (if I find myself in a pinch). So its low cost of entry tips the scales.

So how about it? What's your best deal ever? Why?

markie
02-24-2013, 03:13 PM
A couple of other guys & myself traded & sold a 66 "Ricky" back & forth for about 3 years. I think each of us owned that thing at least 2 times. I had it 3 different times. The going rate was $800. I paid $700 the 1st time, traded for it, then paid $800 for it. I was ready to move it again, but the other guys really were not in the mood to have it back (Hehehe). I put it on Sh*tbay without a reserve & it sold for $1900.

Yah-mon!

markie
02-24-2013, 03:14 PM
Someday I hope to get one of 5top's Guitars for free.............. :top:

PRSHB2
02-24-2013, 03:24 PM
Just got it yesterday. $400 for a naturally reliced F3ND3R Highway One with Warmoth Maple/Ebony neck.

AP515
02-24-2013, 03:42 PM
I got my Starla Stoptail for $950, beat you by $50! :)

Other notable great buys:

1988 CE24 - $550 - it had an electrical problem. I put a swich and 245's in and no more problem. I wouldn't sell it for $2000. That alder body is a keeper.

2007 CuRo22 - AmberBurst quilt, Braz neck, Paua inlays. $1275. Didn't come with a case though so...

1995 CE22 STD - Dragons - $900. Those dragons in an all hog body are amazing

SE Soapy 2 maple - $190 new from GC. I still smile at that one. Less than what GC paid for it.

JMintzer
02-24-2013, 04:23 PM
$800...

justmund
02-24-2013, 04:40 PM
Brand new SE Semi-Hollow for $499AUD delivered, no gig bag though (which is weird) but that's a minor inconvenience

Jester
02-24-2013, 04:54 PM
I picked up this early SAS on eBay for $1,050 shipped. Black with a nicely flamed neck and fretboard. Plenty of nicks and dings so no stress if I add a couple more.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d84/jamesdavidjones/James/IMG_0151.jpg

cyclops
02-24-2013, 05:07 PM
I scored Harker1440's MEQ for $2600... why that guitar was sold at ANY price, I'll never know. It's now my #1.

Tim
02-24-2013, 05:53 PM
Being over here it is very rare I get a good deal by the time it lands here. I need the Exchange rate to drop back before I can realise any 'Deals' from the past few years!!

The only one I can say was a great deal is my PS Modern Eagle, which I bought on BAM for less than production MEs change hands right now. Plus, snagging that was what got me and Markie chatting and trading which has led to me getting free couch accomodation for 3 nights a year!!! Wooooo!!!

PRSHB2
02-24-2013, 05:54 PM
Brand new SE Semi-Hollow for $499AUD delivered, no gig bag though (which is weird) but that's a minor inconvenience
I hear this all the time from SE customers. SE Gig Bags seem to have joined the same demise as missing socks. Thankfully my SE came with one.

sergiodeblanc
02-24-2013, 07:31 PM
I essentially traded an old Boogie cabinet and a MIM strat body for my Orianthi SE.

DISTORT6
02-24-2013, 07:54 PM
Soldano SLO-100 with matching 4X12.......$2500 :five:

CantankerousCarl
02-24-2013, 08:16 PM
Last year, my 1990 CE was tagged as a 1997 by the "major chain" that I bought it from. It was such a good deal ( $849) for a 1997 that I never asked for a pic of anything but the top, and I was in such a hurry to "seal the steal" that I never even bothered to verify the S/N.

Imagine my surprise when I opened up the case and saw the no-logo neck plate and electric headstock signature! Screaming, albeit manly, ensued. My wife came running downstairs because she thought something was wrong. Pulled the pups, verified, and did the happy dance.

I doubt I will get that lucky again. This CE sounds and feels so amazing I would probably choose it over my siggy in the burning house scenario.

Chris528
02-24-2013, 08:18 PM
I'm pretty happy with my SE One in mint condition with gig bag for $240 cash. I didn't understand all the hype about this guitar until I got it. I absolutely love this little thing now!

markie
02-24-2013, 08:23 PM
I once bought an ME I from DICK for $24,500 :eek:

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
02-24-2013, 08:27 PM
I once bought an ME I from DICK for $24,500 :eek:

No sir.

markie
02-24-2013, 08:32 PM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ;53364']No sir.

Hehehe! Well played........................... Oh, Thank you Sir :rofl:

Dirty Bob
02-24-2013, 08:52 PM
I once bought a limited run fender for a few hundred bucks from a store that thought it was a Mexican made axe...in actuality it was an American made Hendrix VooDoo strat....can't remember what I flipped it for but I'm pretty sure it was close to a grand more than I paid...I had another at the time that I liked more so I flipped it almost immediately to another store.

I did pretty well from the end of 2008 through 2010...amps, guitars, pedals....was a field day for buyers!

11top
02-24-2013, 09:04 PM
Gotta go with my wife.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
02-24-2013, 09:10 PM
Gotta go with my wife.
Good call, Romeo.

Dirty Bob
02-24-2013, 09:15 PM
Gotta go with my wife.

aww that's nice...thanks for making the rest of us look bad!:top:

11top
02-24-2013, 09:23 PM
aww that's nice...thanks making the rest of us look bad!:top:

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z468/Jamie80Rocks/Leave%20It%20To%20Beaver/Beav7.jpg

SausageofPower
02-25-2013, 02:41 AM
I just snagged a Korina Singlecut SE for $300. Moon fret inlays, had a single dimple in the fretboard that I took out with a wet cloth/soldering iron. Otherwise pretty minty. Tossed some Schaller locking tuners on it, getting a Tusq nut and a Tonepros bridge this week (which I scored new for a song), then some new pots/switch/jack and a Seymour Duncan P-Rails set...in the end, I'll have it all decked out for about what a new one would cost. And to me, that's not a bad deal at all. My best in recent memory definitely. ;)

Albrecht Smuten
02-25-2013, 06:18 AM
Gotta go with my wife.

What did you trade her for?

Brad737
02-25-2013, 07:02 AM
The best deal for me that comes to mind immediately was a used PRS Starla X at GC for $599. That guitar looked, and played great. It sounded like a pissed off Les Paul Jr. While the pickups aren't the greatest, 20 minutes with a soldering iron would have fixed that. I returned it for a refund when MA Pete listed a white Starla X with those Duncan Joe Bonamassa pickups.

Danerada
02-25-2013, 08:01 AM
Employee HB II w/Piezo for $2000....

themike
02-25-2013, 09:36 AM
My Charcoal Cherry Custom 22 - I bought it and it was seriously beat to #!$@ and it had no electronics. PTC turned it into an amazing instrument.

south89
02-25-2013, 09:36 AM
I got this baby on ebay back around 1996 or so maybe and I believe I paid something like $ 1,400.00 First yeear of production and I think a low serial #
http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t490/MAlvord71/P1020455.jpg
http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t490/MAlvord71/P1020459.jpg

11top
02-25-2013, 09:41 AM
What did you trade her for?

Impossibility. She's the best person I've ever known.
She's beautiful inside and out.

Dirty Bob
02-25-2013, 09:53 AM
Impossibility. She's the best person I've ever known.
She's beautiful inside and out.

And my understanding is she bakes too!!!!!!

You've scored some major points! Better make sure she reads this thread!

Chris528
02-25-2013, 03:26 PM

Maybe she hacked his account and she's the one responding. :laugh:

11top
02-25-2013, 03:47 PM

You're about to find out!

Nah, she never reads this stuff. She actually has something relevant to do. :biggrin::vroam:

Dirty Bob
02-25-2013, 04:33 PM
You're about to find out!

Nah, she never reads this stuff. She actually has something relevant to do. :biggrin::vroam:

Ha!....as does my wife!

Sage
02-26-2013, 01:02 AM
I have a system these days:

I use my Discover card almost exclusively, and I rack up the cashback bonus as time goes on. Now, you can redeem it for cash, use it to pay down your bill, etc., but if you look around Discover's website they give you the option to get even more value by spending it on gift cards from retail partners. You can spend $20 on a $25 gift card to Banana Republic, for instance, get yourself a pair of chinos. Sometimes you can even get double what you spend, like $20 for a $40 cert from FTD or 1-800-flowers (a smart move on Valentine's day).

Turns out one of their partners is Guitar Center. Not the best deal out there, but $90 for a $100 gift card isn't bad, and since it's paid for from your cashback balance it's basically free money.

Then I wait for a good deal at GC and strike. That's how I got my SE Angelus: $150 off plus $600 in gift cards, and I took home the best acoustic I've ever owned for $50 plus tax. Which makes my wife happy.

sergiodeblanc
02-26-2013, 01:29 PM
I have a system these days:

I use my Discover card almost exclusively, and I rack up the cashback bonus as time goes on. Now, you can redeem it for cash, use it to pay down your bill, etc., but if you look around Discover's website they give you the option to get even more value by spending it on gift cards from retail partners. You can spend $20 on a $25 gift card to Banana Republic, for instance, get yourself a pair of chinos. Sometimes you can even get double what you spend, like $20 for a $40 cert from FTD or 1-800-flowers (a smart move on Valentine's day).

Turns out one of their partners is Guitar Center. Not the best deal out there, but $90 for a $100 gift card isn't bad, and since it's paid for from your cashback balance it's basically free money.

Then I wait for a good deal at GC and strike. That's how I got my SE Angelus: $150 off plus $600 in gift cards, and I took home the best acoustic I've ever owned for $50 plus tax. Which makes my wife happy.

This should be a Discover Card commercial.:beer:

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
02-26-2013, 01:37 PM
This should be a Discover Card commercial.:beer:

With a black and orange PRS. ;)

sergiodeblanc
02-26-2013, 01:39 PM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ;53819']With a black and orange PRS. ;)

And Penelope Cruz as his wife.

BostonGuitar
02-26-2013, 04:11 PM
Quite simply, all three of my guitars are my best deals ever:

2008 goldtop ORIGINAL birded DGT: I had been wanting to try one upon the slow trickle-like premier of the model and thought that if I were to get one I would really like to find one I sure would love one that was a goldtop with birds. Then I went to NAMM and realized the birds had CHANGED to the outline birds which I was less fond of. Realizing this, I contacted J. Hayes to see if he might be able to track one down with original birds. It became quickly apparent to me that this was an extremely rare bird(no pun intended) to find. Fast forward a couple months and I happen upon a For Sale on the Gear Page of a USED goldtop DGT with original birds! It was owned for a WEEK and it wasn't what dude was looking for. He sold it to me for like just over 2K but he did not know the fact that the combo of goldtop and original birds had any scarcity to it. I consider that the deal of a lifetime, because the guitar changed my life!

2007 GOLDTOP R0- Similar story as there is no such thing as a goldtop R0. Gear Page dude bought an iced tea burst/darkback R0 special run with a plain top(not a guitar center G0) and decided to much drama on the gear page to send the guitar to RS guitar works for a TOP ONLY refininsh job to make it a goldtop(with aged looking color shading included under the pickguard, knobs, and toggle poker chip. He also had modded the wiring with a DR. Vintage kit of caps and pots, and installed Wolfetone Dr. V pickups which really brought it to be a very vintagey guitar. Long story short, I lusted this guitar he had customized this way and low and behold a day came where he decided to sell it for 2500 or so, and I pounced. BEST Lester for ME I have ever played, and the greatest deal.

2012 McBurst DGT Come on, man... Only one known, in a finish so many of us wish PRS had issued with the DGT when in premiered, a proven tone monster that was owned by Jetydosa for a few months that was the best tonal DGT he had come accross out of like 18 DGTs? AND dude sold it to me for a very fair price? Again, best deal ever. All three of these things... :)

Sage
02-26-2013, 10:57 PM
And Penelope Cruz as his wife.

Naw, not hot enough. ;)

LSchefman
02-27-2013, 10:58 PM
Gentlemen never tell. ;)

Hopeful Sinner
02-27-2013, 11:55 PM
http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t490/MAlvord71/P1020455.jpg

Absolutely Beautiful...
I. Want. One. Like. This.