PDA

View Full Version : Forum Truss Rod Cover

Pages : [1] 2

Shawn@PRS
02-26-2013, 02:40 PM
There has been some talk about a PRS Forum TRC. I think a monochromatic, black on black design, made from etched metal would be the ticket(and most affordable way to go).

Anyone care to submitt some design ideas on what you'd like to see?

docbennett
02-26-2013, 03:51 PM
Personally...I'd be willing to spend a little more, to get a little more.

I'd love an ebony, or IRW TRC with an inlay that is specific to the forum...maybe a modified eagle. Something that sets it apart from the standard TRC's. I would like an inlay that reminds me of the old birds....a nice abalone or equivalent...maybe even a colored inlay like red coral....or green malachite...or blue turquoise. This is not an area where I would want to scrimp. the forum is very important to me, and I'd like a quality TRC to represent it.

I know it's not economically feasible...but to have a choice of different colored inlays would be GREAT.

Is it too unfeasible to select a "2 tier forum TRC"....kinda like a "hi-end model" and an "SE model"...no disrespect to SE's of course!

I'd buy a few dozen!

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
02-26-2013, 03:57 PM
There has been some talk about a PRS Forum TRC. I think a monochromatic, black on black design, made from etched metal would be the ticket (and most affordable way to go).

Anyone care to submit some design ideas on what you'd like to see?

Sounds fun!

justmund
02-26-2013, 04:00 PM
I think we need a poll on how many screws it will have

Michael B
02-26-2013, 04:02 PM
SWEET!!!

WEDGE
02-26-2013, 04:07 PM
Yes please!

vchizzle
02-26-2013, 04:29 PM
I wouldn't mind something a bit "fancier" with inlay, but I'm down for anything really. Usually I have some creative ideas for something like this, but for some reason I got nothin':dontknow:
Maybe we need a PRS forum logo of some sort?

BTW Shawn, what's a "tuss" rod? Have you guys reinvented and improved something again? Sorry, I had to:beer:

markie
02-26-2013, 04:41 PM
I will buy whatever you come up with Shawn. I would rather not have something super "Blingy" like the original Forum TRCs were. Maybe Jamie Aulson could give you some input for a simple, yet classy inlay. Again, I will buy one regardless.

One screw gets my vote!

zebraprs
02-26-2013, 04:46 PM
I will buy whatever you come up with Shawn. I would rather not have something super "Blingy" like the original Forum TRCs were. Maybe Jamie Aulson could give you some input for a simple, yet classy inlay. Again, I will buy one regardless.

One screw gets my vote!

Agreed... something simple and cool.. I will need a few... :)

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
02-26-2013, 04:49 PM

One screw gets my vote!

Yes, one screw. And Jamie Aulson. Those two comments are unrelated, BTW. I'm a married man.

Dirty Bob
02-26-2013, 04:51 PM
Sounds cool to me!

vchizzle
02-26-2013, 04:56 PM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ;53906']Yes, one screw. And Jamie Aulson. Those two comments are unrelated, BTW. I'm a married man.
How long are you gonna hide behind that facade of the beautiful wife and kid shtick? :rofl:

John Beef
02-26-2013, 04:57 PM
I already have black etched metal TRC that says "20th" on my main custom 22, and would dig something like that to put on my Mira, so I like the idea of keeping things subtle.

LSchefman
02-26-2013, 04:59 PM

One screw gets my vote!

I agree, and actually, I really love the black on black idea, because the blingy ones clash with what's already on the guitars. The more subtle, the cooler and better!

Shawn@PRS
02-26-2013, 05:03 PM
I'd love to see some folks willing to create some designs. We can have a vote on the one(s) we like best and then move forward from there. The winner would certainly get a free TRC or two.

Thanks guys!

docbennett
02-26-2013, 05:11 PM
I'd love to see some folks willing to create some designs. We can have a vote on the one(s) we like best and then move forward from there. The winner would certainly get a free TRC or two.

Thanks guys!

My vote for the forum logo design....

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-7Owuu7WWqTg/TfZhAf-RU1I/AAAAAAAAWpw/fXKBGfoXWW0/s1600/blue_oyster_cult_logo4.jpg (http://logoshistory.blogspot.com/2011/06/all-blue-oyster-cult-logos.html)

Oh wait...I think it was taken already. :laugh:

Carry on.

Mikegarveyblues
02-26-2013, 05:16 PM
Sounds cool!!!

I'm a little crap at design but i'm willing to have a crack at it.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
02-26-2013, 05:55 PM
How long are you gonna hide behind that facade of the beautiful wife and kid shtick? :rofl:
That's very nice of you to say, brother. She'll be flattered to hear it.

Thanks guys!
Cool! Due date?

sergiodeblanc
02-26-2013, 06:00 PM
How about one that says: Friends with Sergio?

cjmwrx
02-26-2013, 06:08 PM
Si, I'm in.

Shawn@PRS
02-26-2013, 06:13 PM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ;53954']

Cool! Due date?

I've learned not to rush musicians, they don't do well with timelines Brah!

Shawn@PRS
02-26-2013, 06:18 PM
My vote for the forum logo design....

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-7Owuu7WWqTg/TfZhAf-RU1I/AAAAAAAAWpw/fXKBGfoXWW0/s1600/blue_oyster_cult_logo4.jpg (http://logoshistory.blogspot.com/2011/06/all-blue-oyster-cult-logos.html)

Oh wait...I think it was taken already. :laugh:

Carry on.

It has been taken, by this woman
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/gitfukintar/PRS/Isis_zps95bc1c10.jpg

LSchefman
02-26-2013, 06:33 PM
It has been taken, by this woman
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/gitfukintar/PRS/Isis_zps95bc1c10.jpg

She was still active in the late 13th Century in Egypt. She didn't have many followers left, but there were a few pockets of admirers, so she stuck around.

We went out a few times. Great sense of humor!

justmund
02-26-2013, 06:36 PM
One screw gets my vote!
It was a joke!

As is this one - I think it should just say "PRS Forum - Squirt happens"

I'm in BTW, laser etched metal would be cool

Dirty Bob
02-26-2013, 07:25 PM
How about one that says: Friends with Sergio?

this gets my vote....or how about one with this smilie on it....:girl:

s.fitzsimmons
02-26-2013, 07:36 PM
How about one of the new brush stroke birds with PRS Forum 2013 discretely etched in to the strokes? I'm no artist, but I'm sure you get my drift.....

Roddie
02-26-2013, 08:16 PM
I agree with a vote. I would love to see something with the new brushstroke birds. they are beautiful, modern and have both a touch of class and modern art.

sergiodeblanc
02-26-2013, 08:19 PM
this gets my vote....or how about one with this smilie on it....:girl:

YES!!!

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
02-26-2013, 08:20 PM
How about merging both ideas? How about a unique brushstroke bird and a banner around it (Like on a PS headstock) etched with "Official PRS Forum" on the metal TRC Shawn mentioned?

altoidman
02-26-2013, 08:26 PM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ;54003']How about merging both ideas? How about a unique brushstroke bird and a banner around it (Like on a PS headstock) etched with "Official PRS Forum" on the metal TRC Shawn mentioned?

+1

Roddie
02-26-2013, 08:42 PM
I like that, incorporates traditional Ps banners plus new brush stroke birds and recognizes the forum.

WEDGE
02-26-2013, 08:48 PM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ;54003']How about merging both ideas? How about a unique brushstroke bird and a banner around it (Like on a PS headstock) etched with "Official PRS Forum" on the metal TRC Shawn mentioned?

Yes for me

butterfly
02-26-2013, 08:53 PM
Whatever the design is I'll buy a few. Thanks guys!

LSchefman
02-26-2013, 10:51 PM
Not sure how you stylistically incorporate brushstroke minimalist birds with a traditional neoclassical banner, guys.

It's like wearing plaid tennis shoes with a tuxedo. I mean, you can do it, but something's off. It won't hang together. Think cheeseburger wrapped in sushi. Doesn't go.

If you could stylize the banner or use letters somehow to match the birds, it would be better.

You're talking about a very small item in a TRC, not much room for stuff to throw on it. The simpler, and the more stylistically consistent, the better it will turn out.

Example: the classic TRC for the Santana. One image, one statement. Looks good on the guitar. Now imagine squeezing a little neoclassical banner on it that said, "PRS Santana". Would screw it up. Then it goes from iconic to just another TRC.

Or take the Apple logo. It's simple, one color now. Think back to when it was rainbow colored. Or take an apple laptop, and under the white apple symbol, imagine a little neoclassical ribbon banner that said, "Apple Macintosh." Meh, right?

Clean design works better.

Let's say the PRS forum TRC was just a brushstroke bird on black metal. Cool. It doesn't need to say PRS Forum on it at all, much like the Santana TRC. Speaks for itself, elegantly.

The banner works under the more traditional looking PS Eagle because they're both traditional images, with roots going back a very long time.

Egads
02-26-2013, 11:09 PM
I agree with a vote. I would love to see something with the new brushstroke birds. they are beautiful, modern and have both a touch of class and modern art.

+1

ezkahuna
02-27-2013, 02:36 AM
http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd499/ThatShotsHot/TRC.jpg
I'd probably use it as a luggage tag.

aduayer
02-27-2013, 04:55 AM
Let's say the PRS forum TRC was just a brushstroke bird on black metal. Cool. It doesn't need to say PRS Forum on it at all, much like the Santana TRC. Speaks for itself, elegantly.

for me, less is more. TRC is a very small place. I like the Brushstroke idea. got my vote on that.

JustRob
02-27-2013, 05:21 AM
Saw this on a guitar on ebay. Can't afford the guitar (sorry), but I love this look. Maybe someone can modify it to brush strokes or put the "FORUM" on a banner. All I've ever really used photoshop for is exchanging heads and bodies. :laugh:

http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t427/leeotto9/TRC1_zps2968e31b.jpg

s.fitzsimmons
02-27-2013, 07:03 AM
How about one of the new brush stroke birds with PRS Forum 2013 discretely etched in to the strokes? I'm no artist, but I'm sure you get my drift.....

Not sure how you stylistically incorporate brushstroke minimalist birds with a traditional neoclassical banner, guys.

If you could stylize the banner or use letters somehow to match the birds, it would be better.

Clean design works better.

The banner works under the more traditional looking PS Eagle because they're both traditional images, with roots going back a very long time.

That's a great way of explaining what I was thinking. You should be able to "hide" any text that you would want in the brush stroke using tone on tone in the etching process. Wouldn't be a fan of the stroke and the banner, or for that matter a block of text.

Roddie
02-27-2013, 07:21 AM
If keeping it simple is the key I am gonna vote a brush stroke bird

andy474x
02-27-2013, 07:25 AM
I feel like the brush stroke effect will look lost on a guitar without it anywhere else. Like it won't really make sense or look like a bird standing alone. But that's just me, if it turns out looking good I'll still go for it!

Albrecht Smuten
02-27-2013, 07:27 AM
Like it won't really make sense or look like a bird standing alone.

Thank you, I didn't know how to put it, but I feel the same way.

Goldtop
02-27-2013, 07:30 AM
I don't have an acct. at an image hosting site, so rather than opening one, I'm going to put my ideas in my avatar spot for a short time. Saves me some trouble. This image is rough, but it works for now. I also have a slightly larger image if needed.

I've been thinking of two ideas, which I call Outline and Circle of Birds. Both would use the official PRS font.

Outline - I see it horizontally on a TRC (obviously). The text could go where the frets would normally be, or it could start in the body around the tailpiece area and go out towards the headstock, centered on the whole design.

Circle of Birds - Either vertically or horizontally with no text at all. Or horizontally with the text below the circle, or branching out towards the screw hole.

I like both for different reasons. I like the birds being in a circle to represent the globe, because we have members from all over the world. Also, they're all flying together, as we are here.

I like the outline because it's understated.

I think either would work well in the etched black metal style Shawn mentioned.

Lloyd/Goldtop

Albrecht Smuten
02-27-2013, 07:33 AM
I don't have an acct. at an image hosting site, so rather than opening one, I'm going to put my ideas in my avatar spot for a short time. Saves me some trouble. This image is rough, but it works for now. I also have a slightly larger image if needed.

I've been thinking of two ideas, which I call Outline and Circle of Birds. Both would use the official PRS font.

Outline - I see it horizontally on a TRC (obviously). The text could go where the frets would normally be, or it could start in the body around the tailpiece area and go out towards the headstock, centered on the whole design.

Circle of Birds - Either vertically or horizontally with no text at all. Or horizontally with the text below the circle, or branching out towards the screw hole.

I like both for different reasons. I like the birds being in a circle to represent the globe, because we have members from all over the world.

I like the outline because it's understated.

I think either would work well in the etched metal style Shawn mentioned.

Lloyd/Goldtop

I like the circle, because for me it represents a community in the first place... cool idea!

docbennett
02-27-2013, 07:38 AM
Nice work and great ideas Lloyd. thanks for putting in that effort. I like both, but the circle is appealing due to the way you "colored in the inlay".

Boogie
02-27-2013, 07:39 AM
A monochromatic design will make it easier and less expensive to make, which will expand the potential sources for production. The idea of a forum logo is certainly a good idea.

Markie...wanna make a prototype or two? ;)

Goldtop
02-27-2013, 07:43 AM
Nice work and great ideas Lloyd. thanks for putting in that effort. I like both, but the circle is appealing due to the way you "colored in the inlay".

Thank you for the kind words. But I can't take credit for the colors or the actual designs. I had the ideas, but I couldn't put the art together exactly how I pictured it, so I copied a similar design from the website.

Lloyd

Goldtop
02-27-2013, 07:45 AM
I like the circle, because for me it represents a community in the first place... cool idea!

Thank you. I wish I had better examples to illustrate the ideas, but I just put something together in a rush.

Lloyd

south89
02-27-2013, 07:51 AM

+ 1 on this I don't think it needs to be too blingy but something simple and classy

Blackbird
02-27-2013, 08:40 AM
Another vote for a subtle design with brushstroke bird or the 12th fret old bird.

In my opinion, it does not have to say Forum or anything cheesy like that to make it a "forum" trc. Simply the fact that it will be acquired exclusively through the forum and have a unique design already distinguishes it as such. And please, no banners, it's not a late 80's tattoo.

I bet Th3Mike can come up with something pretty sweet.

themike
02-27-2013, 08:53 AM
Haha thanks. I have to crack open photoshop later tonight because I owe Hans a forum graphic! :tail between legs:

Ill see if I can mock up anything for a TRC!

Shawn@PRS
02-27-2013, 09:21 AM
What about something like this? But not with the crappy "MS Paint" mock up.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/gitfukintar/PRS/trc_zpsf5e4735a.jpg

sleary
02-27-2013, 09:26 AM

We have a winner..looks great Shawn. :star:

carpincowboy
02-27-2013, 09:26 AM
I would love a forum trc but they will probably be out of my price range. The plain trc is 22 in the uk which is a lot for a bit of plastic and 2 screws.. so keep it cheap and i might get one for my SE.

Mike Duncan
02-27-2013, 09:46 AM
That's badass, Shawn. I'm in!!

slowro
02-27-2013, 09:58 AM
My vote is for shawns design or an old style 12 fret bird but etched black on black with no text. Subtle and cool!

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
02-27-2013, 10:20 AM
I'd like to see us come up with something unique - something that doesn't duplicate design cues already on our guitars.

I'll try to get some ideas on paper tonight; ideas that work well with the monochromatic/metallic theme and clearly differentiate this forum from others.

All that said, I'm easy and will go with the crowd.

Shawn@PRS
02-27-2013, 10:53 AM
We have a winner..looks great Shawn. :star:

I took inspiration from Lloyd's design.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
02-27-2013, 11:09 AM

I take inspiration from Lloyd. :rock:

DISTORT6
02-27-2013, 11:12 AM
How much detail can you fit on a TRC?

Hopeful Sinner
02-27-2013, 11:20 AM
I'm really digging the tastefully simple concepts.. At some point, with an item like a TRC, the more bling-y and over designed, the cheaper it looks...

rugerpc
02-27-2013, 12:11 PM
My friend Albrect Smuten designed a logo for the not yet here forum guitar. I give him credit for thinking of using the f-hole design as a text 'f'.

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w382/rugerpc/Guitars/Misc/1BirdBlock_zpsf5d856c9.jpg
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w382/rugerpc/Guitars/Misc/1Birdforum_zps0242cfa5.jpg
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w382/rugerpc/Guitars/Misc/9BirdsF_zps9166c260.jpg
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w382/rugerpc/Guitars/Misc/9BirdsForum_zps9cc910dc.jpg
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w382/rugerpc/Guitars/Misc/9BirdsForumAllFill_zpsd65b9e6d.jpg
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w382/rugerpc/Guitars/Misc/9BirdsForumFill_zps8a835483.jpg
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w382/rugerpc/Guitars/Misc/Forum_zpsc22fae3e.jpg
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w382/rugerpc/Guitars/Misc/OfficialForum_zpsdec75780.jpg

Goldtop
02-27-2013, 12:19 PM

Wow, thanks. I'm flattered by that. In fact, that's the design I started with, only I cleaned off the signature to start with a clean slate.

Lloyd

Goldtop
02-27-2013, 12:21 PM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ;54203']I take inspiration from Lloyd. :rock:

Wow, Hans. Thank you for that. I don't know what to say. I'm humbled.

Lloyd

Goldtop
02-27-2013, 12:23 PM
So many good ideas. There's bound to be a winner mixed in here somewhere.

Lloyd

Roddie
02-27-2013, 12:24 PM
I love it shawn.:congrats:

rugerpc
02-27-2013, 12:24 PM
So many good ideas. There's bound to be a winner mixed in here somewhere.

Lloyd

"you may already be a wiener...." I know I am :rofl:

docbennett
02-27-2013, 12:32 PM
Whatever design you finally decide on...I'm in for a few at the very least. Want to support the forum, and am proud to acknowledge same on my guitars.

Shawn@PRS
02-27-2013, 01:00 PM
Whatever design you finally decide on...I'm in for a few at the very least. Want to support the forum, and am proud to acknowledge same on my guitars.

Thanks Doc

rugerpc
02-27-2013, 01:03 PM
Combining some ideas:

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w382/rugerpc/Guitars/Misc/OutlineTRC_zps91768193.jpg

carpincowboy
02-27-2013, 01:06 PM
Now i like that one above. Great work.

Mikegarveyblues
02-27-2013, 01:19 PM
Some cool looking logos already...

Just trying to get my head around photoshop and i'll try and post a couple of ideas.

Someone posted an idea of a circle or globe to indicate the international vibe of the forum? Thought that was a cool idea. Just not sure about the brushstrokes... Would it look out of place or not make sense on it's own? Works in contect when there's a few on a board...

Just an idea so feel free to tell me it's a steaming pile of you know what... What about using the initials P.R.S.O.F instead of the word forum? The word 'forum' seems dull, but might be better with a cool font rather than plain...???

The 'F hole' thing looks sweet though.

Shawn@PRS
02-27-2013, 01:27 PM
How about something like this?

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/gitfukintar/PRS/sigTRC_zps23425ed6.jpg

sleary
02-27-2013, 01:40 PM
I like all Shawn's ideas. I am not fussy on something that says "forum" on it...just my taste I guess....

rugerpc
02-27-2013, 01:50 PM

I really like these designs, but they just don't say "forum" to me. The forum TRC needs to be unique to the forum and not something that the company would be tempted to repurpose and put on a production guitar. Sorry, that's just how I feel about it.

cosmic_ape
02-27-2013, 02:01 PM
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w382/rugerpc/Guitars/Misc/OfficialForum_zpsdec75780.jpg

This one!

I would need a lefty version, though

Shawn@PRS
02-27-2013, 02:04 PM
I really like these designs, but they just don't say "forum" to me. The forum TRC needs to be unique to the forum and not something that the company would be tempted to repurpose and put on a production guitar. Sorry, that's just how I feel about it.

I'm good either way. Whatever the members decide on, is cool with me.

docbennett
02-27-2013, 02:06 PM
I would NOT like a TRC with the PRS signature....we have that already in the form of his signature on the headstock. I do like both designs using the f hole a great deal.

docbennett
02-27-2013, 02:08 PM
Combining some ideas:

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w382/rugerpc/Guitars/Misc/OutlineTRC_zps91768193.jpg

For a guy who prefers the bling...I LOVE this one!!

Aeetus
02-27-2013, 02:10 PM
What about a TRC that follows the profile of the headstock with an etched bird with an etched moon in the background?

docbennett
02-27-2013, 02:30 PM
What about a TRC that follows the profile of the headstock with an etched bird with an etched moon in the background?

This post screams out for "Pics, or it didn't happen" :D

John Beef
02-27-2013, 02:39 PM
Or, you could have an outline of the headstock with a truss rod cover on it that has an outline of the headstock on it, then animate it (somehow) to be like this classic Hasselhoff Gif!
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x212/mattwitter1422/hasselhoff.gif

Aeetus
02-27-2013, 02:43 PM
This post screams out for "Pics, or it didn't happen" :D

Sorry doc, I had this vision a while back but no means to put it into action. If it were possible I'd a satin bronze headstock shape, black Eagle with moon in the background being abalone, and the quarter of the moon being red abalone or similar. A small PRS or Pauls signature or forum ref etched where the TRC meets the nut would finish it off for me. I am sure this would be too cost prohibitive and there'd probably be too much going on for most.

Goldtop
02-27-2013, 02:49 PM
Combining some ideas:

Here's another suggestion. Basically this design, but lose the word 'official, keep the f-hole and 'orum' but make it a little smaller. Maybe have the text and f-hole about half the size it is here. The word official takes away from the classy aspect IMO. Plus, this might be hitting enough points to satisfy a majority of us, but still be a little too involved for the fakes to flood eBay with copies overnight.

Lloyd

rugerpc
02-27-2013, 03:07 PM
Here ya go, Lloyd. I made the guitar stroke heavier too since there was less going on...

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w382/rugerpc/Guitars/Misc/OutlinePRSTRC_zpsb82bd383.jpg

rugerpc
02-27-2013, 03:18 PM
Using this graphic and making a leftie version presents it's own problems...

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w382/rugerpc/Guitars/Misc/Leftie1_zps0da826c1.jpg

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w382/rugerpc/Guitars/Misc/Leftie2_zps87f7fa9e.jpg

rugerpc
02-27-2013, 03:21 PM
Hasselhoff Gif!

I wish there was some way I could un-see that.. Please make it stop... Or I'll get even, I swear I will

Steph
02-27-2013, 03:22 PM
Here ya go, Lloyd. I made the guitar stroke heavier too since there was less going on...

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w382/rugerpc/Guitars/Misc/OutlinePRSTRC_zpsb82bd383.jpg

Ooo!!! I like this one..... :top:

With abalone on Rosewood.... :proud:

sergiodeblanc
02-27-2013, 03:22 PM
So, we are completely off the "Friends with Sergio" idea then? :bawling:

Shawn@PRS
02-27-2013, 03:26 PM

"FWS-PRS" - I like it!

rugerpc
02-27-2013, 03:39 PM

If that's what everyone wants!

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w382/rugerpc/Guitars/Misc/FWS_zpsdf19327c.jpg

Goldtop
02-27-2013, 03:42 PM
I'm right-handed, but I've been thinking about the leftie issue. I'll put my first trial run up as an avatar in a second to see what everybody thinks.

I tried to get the f-hole in the right spot. The text size can be adjusted. All of it can be for that matter.

Lloyd

docbennett
02-27-2013, 03:50 PM
All lefties should play righty like I do. :D

As far as that headstock video of the crotch area that keeps coming at you.....no..you can't "un-see something". It is now stuck. But we WILL get even. We WILL. You should have provided a link with a warning. That was not for the unexpected, or otherwise unprepared. :o

rugerpc
02-27-2013, 03:53 PM
I'm right-handed, but I've been thinking about the leftie issue. I'll put my first trial run up as an avatar in a second to see what everybody thinks.

I tried to get the f-hole in the right spot. The text size can be adjusted. All of it can be for that matter.

Lloyd

This would work for rightie or leftie:

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w382/rugerpc/Guitars/Misc/OutlineLnR_zps52130339.jpg

I'm liking the f-hole in approximately the correct place on the guitar...

This also has the advantage that PRS could drop the 'orum' text and use the TRC on a production guitar. One tooling + multi uses = lower cost!

Goldtop
02-27-2013, 03:55 PM

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w382/rugerpc/Guitars/Misc/OutlineLnR_zps52130339.jpg

Many thanks. Bigger and cleaner. And the image could be centered in the cover, but I was concerned with the image itself and didn't do that. OR just leave the guitar line centered. Whatever.

Lloyd

Steph
02-27-2013, 04:00 PM

This also has the advantage that PRS could drop the 'orum' text and use the TRC on a production guitar. One tooling + multi uses = lower cost!

This one is pretty cool too IMHO. Classy!

docbennett
02-27-2013, 04:07 PM

I usually agree with most of your posts Ruger...but in this case, I would definitely not want the TRC to be used in a similar fashion for production guitars. I am looking at something unique that differentiates us from the rest of the population. That would actually discourage my eventual purchase as I want something that clearly separates us from those who do not participate in the forum community.

Plus, having the unique design just dedicated to the forum could be used as an incentive in future promotions and give-aways, to encourage people to join the forum. You know...buy a guitar, send in the warranty and get a free Forum membership and TRC as a "welcome" to the company. Don't want "ordinary people" to get a TRC that is very close in design.

Just my 1 cent.

rugerpc
02-27-2013, 04:10 PM
For Hans:

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w382/rugerpc/Guitars/Misc/OutlineLnROfficial_zpsbe9dce75.jpg

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
02-27-2013, 04:16 PM
I'm liking all the ideas.

Don't try to please everyone with a single design. In the end it won't please anyone. Design by committee SUCKS. But a few days of sharing ideas and tossing around designs is a good thing. In the end there will be a few concepts that will emerge as favorites and we can build a final design from there.

Keep 'em coming.

rugerpc
02-27-2013, 04:18 PM
I usually agree with most of your posts Ruger...but in this case, I would definitely not want the TRC to be used in a similar fashion for production guitars. I am looking at something unique that differentiates us from the rest of the population. That would actually discourage my eventual purchase as I want something that clearly separates us from those who do not participate in the forum community.

Plus, having the unique design just dedicated to the forum could be used as an incentive in future promotions and give-aways, to encourage people to join the forum. You know...buy a guitar, send in the warranty and get a free Forum membership and TRC as a "welcome" to the company. Don't want "ordinary people" to get a TRC that is very close in design.

Just my 1 cent.

If you read my post above (post 75), you see that I have already raised this issue.

The outline of the PRS Guitar is theirs, Bennett. We just have the bad taste to borrow it. Even if the company never makes a TRC for the forum, I believe that they will eventually make one as I described (without the 'orum') for their own use - the design is just too cool not to.

They already have it on several t-shirts. it is only a matter of time until they put it on a TRC.

The word 'forum' differentiates us enough, and I don't believe the company would ever put a TRC with the word 'forum' on it on a production guitar unless it was a special production run for us.

Giving them options to decrease their tooling costs not only makes it less expensive for us, but makes it more likely to actually happen.

docbennett
02-27-2013, 04:27 PM
If you read my post above (post 75), you see that I have already raised this issue.

The outline of the PRS Guitar is theirs, Bennett. We just have the bad taste to borrow it. Even if the company never makes a TRC for the forum, I believe that they will eventually make one as I described (without the 'orum') for their own use - the design is just too cool not to.

They already have it on several t-shirts. it is only a matter of time until they put it on a TRC.

The word 'forum' differentiates us enough, and I don't believe the company would ever put a TRC with the word 'forum' on it on a production guitar unless it was a special production run for us.

Giving them options to decrease their tooling costs not only makes it less expensive for us, but makes it more likely to actually happen.

I can't disagree with anything you've said. Only trying to emphasize that in recognizing all the valid points made above....in the final analysis....the further our TRC is from any potential iteration of it that becomes mass produced...the better for me anyway. Obviously I can't speak for others on this topic, or "sub-concept" if you will.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
02-27-2013, 04:30 PM
A favor...

While we're kicking around ideas, let's try not to make Shawn regret bringing it up.

Keep creating and posting your ideas, Gentlemen. Things will fall into place.

rugerpc
02-27-2013, 04:33 PM
For the record, I believe this TRC belongs on every hollobody, and semi-hollobody production guitar PRS makes (except singlecuts), core and SE:

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w382/rugerpc/Guitars/Misc/OutlineAlone_zps23a937dc.jpg

Go, ahead, tell me I'm wrong....

vchizzle
02-27-2013, 04:35 PM
I like Llloyd's design, nice work! I wish we could "put a bird on it" somehow though.

The official in that design is fine as well.
Or you could put the word official under the PRS in place of where "GUITARS" is on the regular logo. That would look familiar and natural to us.

JustRob
02-27-2013, 04:43 PM
This one is pretty cool too IMHO. Classy!

Agree, this one is nice.

I notice the TRCs are different sizes for SE and USA models. Is the intent to offer both sizes?

I would spend up to $50 for a joke on a friend with a "Hoff" fetish, but it would have to be animated. Maybe I'll have to look into small LCD panels powered by watch batteries. It shouldn't be impossible, only impractical. In fact, all headstocks should have LCD screens so the fans can watch you playing guitar, on your guitar, while you're playing the guitar. Thanks for the motivation John Beef.

Sorry, the flu is still lingering, and I'm not well.

VHTStark
02-27-2013, 04:46 PM
My fave thus far!!

rugerpc
02-27-2013, 04:48 PM
The problem with good design is two-fold.

1. good design is simple.

2. the simpler the design, the more adaptable it is to disparate uses.

Making a design more complicated to make it unique also makes it worse in most cases.

We are obviously looking for something that instantly says both "PRS" and "forum". Any really good design we come up with still easily be transmuted from special to us to generic for everyone and vice versa. It is the nature of design. We can take solace in the idea the it is unlikely that PRS will use the word 'forum' on any production run for the masses and that is our edge. It remains our edge whether we use their guitar outline, their birds, their moons, their 408 pup shapes or whatever. To say "PRS", we must use something of theirs.

I'm not saying any of my designs above are 'great', nor that they are all mine. Albrecht Smuten thought of the f-hole for text. Lloyd thought of using the PRS guitar outline from the new shirts and making the design rightie and leftie friendly, I just happen to be a fast drawer in Freehand.

But if we go looking for something really unique, so much so that PRS won't want to use it or elements of it for their own production runs, we're gonna end up with something that only says 'forum' to us and not 'PRS forum'.

vchizzle
02-27-2013, 04:51 PM
For the record, I believe this TRC belongs on every hollobody, and semi-hollobody production guitar PRS makes (except singlecuts), core and SE:

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w382/rugerpc/Guitars/Misc/OutlineAlone_zps23a937dc.jpg

Go, ahead, tell me I'm wrong....

No sir, I believe you are correct...Let's move away from the brand "G" style white lettered TRC's identifying the models on all PRS! Got rid of normal pickup bobbins, redesigned pickup mounting rings, etc....

rugerpc
02-27-2013, 04:53 PM
I like Llloyd's design, nice work! I wish we could "put a bird on it" somehow though.

The official in that design is fine as well.
Or you could put the word official under the PRS in place of where "GUITARS" is on the regular logo. That would look familiar and natural to us.

Shazam!

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w382/rugerpc/Guitars/Misc/OutlineLnROfficialDown_zps3e9965ab.jpg

LSchefman
02-27-2013, 04:54 PM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ;54348'Design by committee SUCKS.

Aw heck, committee design is great! As evidenced by...

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i332/lschefman/Pontiac-Aztek_Rally-2004-hd_zps46b9d21c.jpg

Goldtop
02-27-2013, 04:55 PM
I suppose a bird could be used instead of 'PRS'. After all, the body outline says it's a PRS to those in the know.

I still like my original birds in a circle idea to signify the world. I didn't mention it here because I didn't want to throw too much into the discussion at once, but we seem to be working well here so I'll tell the rest.

My first idea was to lay out eight of the birds as points on a compass. But when you start to shrink that some detail is lost, so then I had the birds in the same places but with no lines or any compass details. I thought just the simple outlines of eight birds could be etched into a metal surface and still retain the quality we all want. Plus it works easily for right or left-handed players. But after thinking about it, I decided that even though it could probably be done and done well, it would be pushing the limit. Eight distinguishable birds etched into metal in a space about the size of a quarter is asking a lot.

The guitar outline is simpler, neater, and may just be the better overall choice. Whatever happens, or even if nothing ever comes of it, this process is fun for me. Maybe I'll post my doodles someday.

Lloyd

Mikegarveyblues
02-27-2013, 04:57 PM
Ok... Been having a fiddle in Photoshop...

I took a photo of an eagle and traced around it with basic hard lines and then erased the photo. Bit scruffy but it gives the idea.

Not sure about the initials.. Really like the word forum with the f hole thingy...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8382/8513443145_54256fd0b5_b.jpg

Just a quick idea. Will try another one if I have the time...

JustRob
02-27-2013, 04:59 PM

How about the picture of PRSh from the PRS bucks at the last Experience? I'd post it but I spent all of mine.

Blackbird
02-27-2013, 04:59 PM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ;54363']
While we're kicking around ideas, let's try not to make Shawn regret bringing it up.

lol this. Good thing the "forum guitar" never got traction. TRC designs are seeming almost as serious as sinker mahogany and fading Eriza Verde tops. ;)

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
02-27-2013, 05:00 PM
Personally, I don't get the need to put the silhouette of a PRS guitar on a PRS guitar. With a t-shirt, the silhouette makes sense. The guitar is absent.

I also don't get the signature unless you're putting the TRC on an SE. Most of us will be putting the TRC on a guitar that already has the signature on the headstock.

Regarding "PRS Forum" vs. "Official PRS Forum" label, I don't want top step on the toes of our friends at PRS Forums.

rugerpc
02-27-2013, 05:03 PM
I suppose a bird could be used instead of 'PRS'. After all, the body outline says it's a PRS to those in the know.

The guitar outline is simpler, neater, and may just be the better overall choice. Whatever happens, or even if nothing ever comes of it, this process is fun for me. Maybe I'll post my doodles someday.

Lloyd

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w382/rugerpc/Guitars/Misc/OutlineLnR1Bird_zps177bd13c.jpg

Bill SAS 513
02-27-2013, 05:05 PM
Shazam!

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w382/rugerpc/Guitars/Misc/OutlineLnROfficialDown_zps3e9965ab.jpg

Might be beating a dead horse, but how bout this (above) with a single brush stroke bird around or instead of the neck/headstock??

Goldtop
02-27-2013, 05:06 PM
Here is one more idea, and then I'm going to go doodle some more.

Vertical design like we're working on. Birds in a circle so it works either rightie or leftie, forum with the f-hole in the middle. All centered in the middle of the cover. The birds signify the PRS brand, and forum signifies us. Official could fit in too. That's it.

Covers bird(s), the f-hole, and the words official and forum. Doesn't repeat the outline of the guitar itself, and no signature to do the same. How about that?

Lloyd

rugerpc
02-27-2013, 05:09 PM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ;54380']Personally, I don't get the need to put the silhouette of a PRS guitar on a PRS guitar. With a t-shirt, the silhouette makes sense. The guitar is absent.

I get this - and I cannot deny it makes sense. I just really, really like that half guitar line drawing - whoever did that at PRS is a genius - it is sublime art.

-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ;54380']I also don't get the signature unless you're putting the TRC on an SE. Most of us will be putting the TRC on a guitar that already has the signature on the headstock.

I also see no need for the signature...

-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ;54380']Regarding "PRS Forum" vs. "Official PRS Forum" label, I don't want top step on the toes of our friends at PRS Forums.

I get this too.

rugerpc
02-27-2013, 05:11 PM
Here is one more idea, and then I'm going to go doodle some more.

Birds in a circle so it works either rightie or leftie, forum with the f-hole in the middle. All centered in the middle of the cover. The birds signify the PRS brand, and forum signifies us. Official could fit in too. That's it.

Covers bird(s), the f-hole, and the word forum. How about that?

Lloyd

I did this - sort of - We could always round out the circle... and make everything solid instead of outlines

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w382/rugerpc/Guitars/Misc/9BirdsF_zps9166c260.jpg

Goldtop
02-27-2013, 05:17 PM
I did this - sort of - We could always round out the circle... and make everything solid instead of outlines

Making it all solid would be cleaner, and more like most inlays themselves (at least in the early days). Plus, we might do away with that one little bird/non-bird guy. :p That would free up some room.

Lloyd

Goldtop
02-27-2013, 05:19 PM
I get this - and I cannot deny it makes sense. I just really, really like that half guitar line drawing - whoever did that at PRS is a genius - it is sublime art.

That is very tasty, isn't it? I love that too.

Lloyd

rugerpc
02-27-2013, 05:27 PM
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w382/rugerpc/Guitars/Misc/9BirdsFsolid_zps1f08c752.jpg

JustRob
02-27-2013, 05:35 PM
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w382/rugerpc/Guitars/Misc/9BirdsFsolid_zps1f08c752.jpg

I like this one too. And it still has the Sergio friends "F" in the middle. :laugh:

Mikegarveyblues
02-27-2013, 05:56 PM
Last version. Had a couple of other ideas but I don't have the skills to render them in photoshop. It involved a globe or circle with a basic looking bird with its wings wrapped above and below the globe as if cradling it.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8531/8513567497_8815106cf3_b.jpg

cwhenke
02-27-2013, 06:13 PM
OK, I don't have the computer skills to mock these up, so you'll have to deal with pencil drawings into a scanner...

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc130/cwhenke/idea.jpg

Top idea is to use the PRS guitar shape and the words where the neck are. You could actually use "PRS FORUM" instead of just "FORUM" to fill out the neck better. Using the font from the top of the forum page would be ideal.

The bottom would be to create a PS eagle in the brushstroke birds idea. It's just an interpretation...I would think someone else could create a better rendering that I could.

Don't judge the artwork...just the ideas.

Goldtop
02-27-2013, 06:29 PM
Don't judge the artwork...just the ideas.

These ideas aren't bad. And I'd never judge anybody else's artwork; you should see my stuff!

Lloyd

aduayer
02-27-2013, 06:48 PM
[QUOTE=rugerpc;54315]
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w382/rugerpc/Guitars/Misc/Leftie1_zps0da826c1.jpg

my favorite idea so far, but without the PRS. I think we are going to use those TRC on our PRS guitars, so, in my opinion, we don't need to have the PRS nor official on the TRC. the guitar outline and the word Forum will do the job in a classy way.

aduayer
02-27-2013, 06:51 PM
How about the picture of PRSh from the PRS bucks at the last Experience? I'd post it but I spent all of mine.

really loved this one too.

justmund
02-27-2013, 06:52 PM
I dig the brushstroke eagle! That could easily be laser cut/etched from anodised aluminium or brass (depending on if you have nickel/gold/mixed hardware)

Shawn@PRS
02-27-2013, 07:19 PM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ;54363']let's try not to make Shawn regret bringing it up.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::congrats:

LSchefman
02-27-2013, 07:37 PM
CWhenke, I love the stylized eagle one you created! Awesome! It has a really nice thing happening. I'd buy that in a second.

All the designs are pretty darn nice.

sergiodeblanc
02-27-2013, 07:50 PM
If that's what everyone wants!

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w382/rugerpc/Guitars/Misc/FWS_zpsdf19327c.jpg

Who the heck is this Fergio character? It's like Fergie and I had an inter-sexed child... which is probably what would happen.

rugerpc
02-27-2013, 08:05 PM
Who the heck is this Fergio character? It's like Fergie and I had an inter-sexed child... which is probably what would happen.

It's olde English.. Tha Ss looke like Fs and vice versa...

sergiodeblanc
02-27-2013, 08:09 PM
It's olde English.. Tha Ss looke like Fs and vice versa...
http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p506/sergiodeblanc/tumblr_m6105tcpZN1rssh7fo1_500_zpsa99e496a.jpg

Yup. That's exactly how it would happen.

JustRob
02-27-2013, 08:22 PM
cwhenke made me see something with that 1st drawing. Nice work on both, BTW, and the many others borrowed from here.

The body is a moon, the horns make an F. It's a natural (or Nyquil is kicking my @ss).
If anyone likes the idea and can do it justice have at it. My poor bird looks sickly.

http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t427/leeotto9/BMRorum_zps2522b10b.jpg

WEDGE
02-27-2013, 08:22 PM
And we thought we could all agree on the design of an entire guitar?!?

:eek:

Mikegarveyblues
02-27-2013, 08:25 PM
How about the PRS headstock as a brushstroke / caligraphy type design?

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8387/8514953310_96c812076b_b.jpg

May be room inside or underneath for another graphic such as the brushstroke bird drawn above (Very cool BTW) or text or even the f hole thingamijig...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8389/8514953282_3cf4739c86_b.jpg

Mikegarveyblues
02-27-2013, 08:26 PM
cwhenke made me see something with that 1st drawing. Nice work on both, BTW, and the many others borrowed from here.

The body is a moon, the horns make an F. It's a natural (or Nyquil is kicking my @ss).
If anyone likes the idea and can do it justice have at it. My poor bird looks sickly.

Like this!!!

cjmwrx
02-27-2013, 08:31 PM

I like this.

Danerada
02-27-2013, 08:58 PM

I like this.....

aduayer
02-27-2013, 09:09 PM

like this...looks like we have something...

Goldtop
02-28-2013, 03:57 AM
I worked on one of my original ideas some this morning, and it's my avatar now. I need to make the 'PRS' bigger, but I'm headed out to a dr. appt. and don't have time to change it now. I'll be looking forward to seeing the latest ideas from everybody when I get back.

Lloyd

vchizzle
02-28-2013, 05:14 AM
Nice work guys, I like both Lloyd's circle of birds and Rob's bird/moon/guitar designs above.

CoreyT
02-28-2013, 05:16 AM

I dig it, moons and birds.

Michael B
02-28-2013, 05:41 AM

I like this as well!!!

Boogie
02-28-2013, 05:46 AM
All are nice ideas, but I think I'm leaning this way.

CoreyT
02-28-2013, 05:56 AM
Looks like I will need four.
Three SEs, and one 408.

They are different, or do the SEs share the same hole pattern as the Maryland built guitars?

cwhenke
02-28-2013, 06:05 AM

I like this, too.

I realized my version of the brushstroke birds PS eagle was not even close. I did another quick drawing that is probably more in line with those on the fretboard...

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc130/cwhenke/idea2.jpg

(I still like Rob's idea better, though.)

Shawn@PRS
02-28-2013, 07:03 AM
You guys are really impressing me with your creativity, these look great!

JustRob
02-28-2013, 07:12 AM

I agree!
Thanks to all for the kind words on mine, but it was inspired by the community, and I haven't seen a design yet that I'd reject out of hand.

south89
02-28-2013, 08:22 AM

I'm all in on this . Nice work :congrats:

JustRob
02-28-2013, 08:25 AM
Tried to fix the bird and modify it a little, FWIW.

http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t427/leeotto9/image_zps4a4a9439.jpg

rugerpc
02-28-2013, 10:15 AM
Here is JustRob's idea:

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w382/rugerpc/Guitars/Misc/BirdMoon_zps4548c73b.jpg

rugerpc
02-28-2013, 10:44 AM
I really like JustRob's idea, but I'm not getting enough 'f' from the shape of the bird, so I messed with it a little and added Albrecht Smuten's f-hole:

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w382/rugerpc/Guitars/Misc/BirdMoonf1_zps5bbb2a78.jpg

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w382/rugerpc/Guitars/Misc/BirdMoonf2_zps8742da70.jpg

ezkahuna
02-28-2013, 11:34 AM

Fo shizzle dizzle!

ezkahuna
02-28-2013, 11:37 AM

MY FAVORITE SO FAR. :-)

jcha008
02-28-2013, 11:46 AM
These are all sweet! I'd be happy to purchase any of these.

rugerpc
02-28-2013, 11:54 AM
MY FAVORITE SO FAR. :-)

If it doesn't say "Forum" on it or have some element unique to the forum, what's the point?

Steph
02-28-2013, 12:22 PM
If it doesn't say "Forum" on it or have some element unique to the forum, what's the point?

Got to agree with this.

Plus, unless its put on a ME or PS, it would look bizarre and repetitive on a STD production PRSi.. Would'nt it?

My humble 1 cent

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
02-28-2013, 12:29 PM
This is an easy one, gents. The "Poll" feature allows for 10 designs. Each person gets one slot. Submit your best design!

Between now and then, let's keep posting new ideas. There is no pride of ownership if your labor is a genuine gift to this community.

I love the recent set of ideas.

Blackbird
02-28-2013, 01:44 PM

The fact that it will only be acquired through the forum already makes it pretty unique.

I don't want to offend anyone by this, it's only an opinion offered on a discussion board. And hey, this is supposed to be fun afterall. :)

But a PRS is, to me, a very high-end, pristine instrument. I liken it to owning a high-end vehicle. I don't want to add something to it that diminishes those qualities that make it special. In this day and age, there is just something slightly hokey about a piece of plastic that says "________ forum" on it. To me it would be like putting a "My kid is an honor roll student at such and such" bumper sticker on a nice Bugatti.

A really awesome and completely unique TRC can be made without "forum" on it. And after people see yours, they will vigorously search the internet looking for them, only to come up empty. Then they will be forced to ask you where you got that amazing TRC, and you will respond, "at the Official PRS Forum of course." :top:

Was it VR that has a TRC that is just a finger?

And everyone's designs are super impressive, some talented people here. Again, no offense meant, just opinion.

Goldtop
02-28-2013, 01:45 PM
I really like JustRob's idea, but I'm not getting enough 'f' from the shape of the bird, so I messed with it a little and added Albrecht Smuten's f-hole:

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w382/rugerpc/Guitars/Misc/BirdMoonf1_zps5bbb2a78.jpg

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w382/rugerpc/Guitars/Misc/BirdMoonf2_zps8742da70.jpg

I admire the creativity in these, but to me, they don't really work for what we're after. JUST MY OPINION and no knock, but these bring back the guitar shape that was previously deemed by some to be too repetitive. Also, there's no taking into account the left-handed players. Why not avoid that all too common slight to the lefties while we can? Plus, it's a busy design, which doesn't make it bad, but there is a lot going on there. And I can just imagine people asking "What's 'ORUM' mean?" Some might get it, some might not. Adding the f-hole to make the word forum a bit clearer just adds to a package that's already too busy IMO.

Lastly, I think it harkens back too much to another forum that's no longer around. No offense to BAM, but this is exclusively for The Official PRS Forum , not Birds and Moons.

Again, no criticism intended. I like some aspects of the design(s). I just don't think they work that well for our needs here and now. Similar situation as the version with just the outline and f-hole being a great idea for semi-hollows and hollowbodies, but repeating the body shape could be overkill for the forum TRC.

One thing I'm sure of: With all of these cool ideas floating around, the final choice is bound to be on a par with PRS guitars themselves!

Lloyd

Shawn@PRS
02-28-2013, 02:02 PM
/ thread

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/gitfukintar/PRS/ptrc_zps6baa0b7a.jpg

Michael B
02-28-2013, 02:34 PM
That in metal...no plastic!!

Goldtop
02-28-2013, 02:48 PM
/ thread

Or maybe that "Velvet Elvis" version?

Lloyd

JustRob
02-28-2013, 03:15 PM
/ thread

:rofl: remembering Paul's reaction to this at the Experience will probably ensure that it never appears on any factory guitars. It would be FORUM exclusive...

rugerpc
02-28-2013, 03:21 PM
OK, I'll try a summation:

A guitar design on a truss rod cover seems a redundancy to some. I can't say I disagree.

The birds and moon theme are cool - but they kinda point away from the official PRS forum and towards the old BaM forum which this is not. I can't say I disagree.

The design needs to be ambidextrous. I definitely agree.

The design needs to be simple and elegant. Again I agree.

Blackbird makes the case that using the word 'forum' cheapens both the TRC and whatever guitar you put it on. I don't agree. After all the idea is for a 'forum truss rod cover.' He suggests we can accomplish that by making something unique and unavailable elsewhere. Perhaps. But I thought the idea was to make the TRC instantly recognizable and linkable to this forum, not to start a fan guessing game when someone sees it. That is my take, I could be wrong.

So, back to square one.

What elements or combination of elements convey the official PRS forum in a simple, elegant design?

are we back to this?

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w382/rugerpc/Guitars/Misc/9BirdsFsolid2_zpsd0aab9a9.jpg

Goldtop
02-28-2013, 03:27 PM
This may not show up (again, I don't have an acct. to store images remotely), but I did some fine tuning this afternoon and ended up with this. So far. (See avatar) I added an 'Est.' date, centered it all. I still see some merit in the outline thing, but like you, I can't say I disagree that it's redundant.

Lloyd

rugerpc
02-28-2013, 03:31 PM
This may not show up (again, I don't have an acct. to store images remotely), but I did some fine tuning this afternoon and ended up with this. So far. (See avatar) I added an 'Est.' date, centered it all. I still see some merit in the outline thing, but like you, I can't say I disagree that it's redundant.

Lloyd

Tell me what it says under forum (too small to read) and I'll draw it out using the one just above.

Goldtop
02-28-2013, 03:32 PM
Tell me what it says under forum (too small to read) and I'll draw it out using the one just above.

It says Est. 2012

Lloyd

rugerpc
02-28-2013, 03:33 PM
on it...

JustRob
02-28-2013, 03:34 PM
I admire the creativity in these, but to me, they don't really work for what we're after. JUST MY OPINION and no knock, but these bring back the guitar shape that was previously deemed by some to be too repetitive. Also, there's no taking into account the left-handed players. Why not avoid that all too common slight to the lefties while we can? Plus, it's a busy design, which doesn't make it bad, but there is a lot going on there. And I can just imagine people asking "What's 'ORUM' mean?" Some might get it, some might not. Adding the f-hole to make the word forum a bit clearer just adds to a package that's already too busy IMO.

Lastly, I think it harkens back too much to another forum that's no longer around. No offense to BAM, but this is exclusively for The Official PRS Forum , not Birds and Moons.

Again, no criticism intended. I like some aspects of the design(s). I just don't think they work that well for our needs here and now. Similar situation as the version with just the outline and f-hole being a great idea for semi-hollows and hollowbodies, but repeating the body shape could be overkill for the forum TRC.

One thing I'm sure of: With all of these cool ideas floating around, the final choice is bound to be on a par with PRS guitars themselves!

Lloyd

I understand. My motivation was from a different perspective though. I only peeked in on BAM once in my life before it was gone, and as all of my guitars are more recent, none of them have moons. All birds. This seemed a way to tie in many classic PRSi icons, that seemed to fit like a puzzle right inside the guitar itself. The right vs. left issue can be etched in either fashion, but I don't know what Shawn's intention was; i.e. taking orders, or just pre ordering a bunch.
That being said, I like a lot of the designs here, and so far the "Paul Bucks" one is the only one I would order, but keep in the case, and not on the guitar.

Goldtop
02-28-2013, 03:38 PM
I understand. My motivation was from a different perspective though. I only peeked in on BAM once in my life before it was gone, and as all of my guitars are more recent, none of them have moons. All birds. This seemed a way to tie in many classic PRSi icons, that seemed to fit like a puzzle right inside the guitar itself. The right vs. left issue can be etched in either fashion, but I don't know what Shawn's intention was; i.e. taking orders, or just pre ordering a bunch.
That being said, I like a lot of the designs here, and so far the "Paul Bucks" one is the only one I would order, but keep in the case, and not on the guitar.

Hahaha. That 'Paul Buck' might sell like hotcakes if it were to see the light of day.

I'd be curious to know if he's aware of us trying to come up with a design for a TRC and what his own suggestion might be. He might be inclined to just leave it up to us to work out?

LPC

rugerpc
02-28-2013, 03:50 PM
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w382/rugerpc/Guitars/Misc/9BirdsFsolid3_zps123473ad.jpg

Goldtop
02-28-2013, 03:57 PM
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w382/rugerpc/Guitars/Misc/9BirdsFsolid3_zps123473ad.jpg

Thank you Bill. I'm sorry to be a bother for you. I think it looks good, but I think most of them do, so there you go... ;)

Lloyd

docbennett
02-28-2013, 04:02 PM

+1,000,000 !!

I LOVE this one. I know I am fickle, and I have attention deficit disorder and change my opinions frequently...that being said...I LOVE this one!

And conversely,

-1,000,000 to either a "Paul Bucks or a "PRS signature" TRC. Just my taste, or lack-thereof.

As far as a TRC that does not identify us as the forum? Many of you are familiar with another popular forum's own unique TRC. Anyone can order a group of TRC's that any custom inlay person would produce in any quantity you desire. But, IMO, this project is dedicated to developing a TRC that identifies us as part of the Forum Community.

Just my opinion. Carry on guys...you've all put so much work into this project...wow!

JustRob
02-28-2013, 04:12 PM
Hahaha. That 'Paul Buck' might sell like hotcakes if it were to see the light of day.

I'd be curious to know if he's aware of us trying to come up with a design for a TRC and what his own suggestion might be. He might be inclined to just leave it up to us to work out?

LPC

LOL. The few times I've spoken to Paul, he strikes me as more pragmatic. I imagine his response might be "They really devote this kind of time to this? Don't these guys have anything better to do?"

11top
02-28-2013, 04:15 PM

I think this would be cool in flamed maple with abalone inlays. I'm guessing there may be a few small bits of figured maple lying around the shop. http://prsguitars.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif

Shawn@PRS
02-28-2013, 05:33 PM
/ thread

Just think, if this was on your guitar, you could gaze into Paul's eyes the entire time you're playing

Mikegarveyblues
02-28-2013, 05:35 PM
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8507/8516302641_16d70d0513_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8095/8517417478_cdbeb9c324_b.jpg

Vaguely inspired by the Aston Martin and Mini logos...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8096/8517417516_f35c0b3ae4_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8085/8517417538_70abe21540_b.jpg

Edit: Slight reworking...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8248/8516692067_e7d43d6203_b.jpg

Mikegarveyblues
02-28-2013, 05:49 PM
You know what may be cool?

If we could shrink all these designs down and print them out near to scale and place them on an actual guitar (Or copy and paste onto a photo) so we can get a better idea of how they actually look in context.

At the moment they're all a lot bigger than the real thing and may look completely out of place (Or not) on a real guitar...

Just thinking out loud...

Goldtop
02-28-2013, 05:53 PM
Here's just a suggestion to mull over. I think we can see that we could keep tweaking current ideas - and introducing new ones - til the cows come home. How about we set a deadline (Mon. March 1st at 9AM Eastern time US for example), and shut off the brainstorming. Someone (Shawn, Hans, ???) could then either set up the poll so members can vote, or just go with the obvious clear winner IF there is one at that point.

How does that sound? Agreements? Complaints? Round of cold drinks all around either way?

(BTW Hans, this may be what you had in mind all along with your earlier post about the poll. If so, forgive me for stepping on your toes, and I'll keep quiet and let you do what you gotta do.)

Goldtop Lloyd

Goldtop
02-28-2013, 06:00 PM
Just think, if this was on your guitar, you could gaze into Paul's eyes the entire time you're playing

Yeah, and in no time, you'd wind up with carpal tunnel and lumbago!

Lloyd

Goldtop
02-28-2013, 06:03 PM

Abstract and cool! What was that old movie years ago with the shiny metallic parrot or hawk or whatever it was? This bird reminds me of that one.

Lloyd

Mikegarveyblues
02-28-2013, 06:03 PM
As an example...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8233/8516366115_0a9edf6c1f_b.jpg

Mikegarveyblues
02-28-2013, 06:10 PM
Abstract and cool! What was that old movie years ago with the shiny metallic parrot or hawk or whatever it was? This bird reminds me of that one.

Lloyd

It was (And the other design) based on this photo I found...

http://www.mamagull.com/Day07-Kayak/GustavusEagle1.jpg

I was trying to do brushstrokes with a mouse... never gonna work, lol! The graphics are a little severe, almost blade like but kind of fitting in a way as an Eagle does have some hard lines,. The head looks more like that of a penguin or parrot though... hey hoe! :)

Shawn@PRS
02-28-2013, 06:10 PM

Here's just a suggestion to mull over. I think we can see that we could keep tweaking current ideas - and introducing new ones - til the cows come home. How about we set a deadline (Mon. March 1st at 9AM Eastern time US for example), and shut off the brainstorming. Someone (Shawn, Hans, ???) could then either set up the poll so members can vote, or just go with the obvious clear winner IF there is one at that point.

How does that sound? Agreements? Complaints? Round of cold drinks all around either way?

(BTW Hans, this may be what you had in mind all along with your earlier post about the poll. If so, forgive me for stepping on your toes, and I'll keep quiet and let you do what you gotta do.)

Goldtop Lloyd

Mike, I like where you're going with these, very clean and creative!

Lloyd, I'm not quite ready to pull the plug just yet, I'd like to give folks some time to develop their ideas

Mikegarveyblues
02-28-2013, 06:36 PM

Lloyd, I'm not quite ready to pull the plug just yet, I'd like to give folks some time to develop their ideas

Cheers Shawn... The thinking with the Aston Martin / Mini type wings with the globe is symmetry. Something that would work on left and right hand guitars....

vchizzle
02-28-2013, 06:38 PM
Thank you Bill. I'm sorry to be a bother for you. I think it looks good, but I think most of them do, so there you go... ;)

Lloyd
LOVE this....but I prefer Lloyd's avatar bird orientation. I think the 4 "big" birds on Lloyd's are easily the most prominent birds on the neck and are presented as such in his avatar pic, which is important IMO. The avatar pic is closest to the size of an actual TRC(on my PC screen anyway). I like the spacing or layout of Bill's "PRS forum Est. 2012" better. I think that PRS and Est. 2012 could be a hair bigger, I'm talking a very small amount to make it a bit easier to read. If I had a bigger pic of Lloyd's I might be able to combine the 2 and make the adjustments I'm thinking of(depending on how my photoshopping skills are working today, lol). I think this design encompasses the aspects that should be on the TRC without any redundancy or issue of lefty/righty.

Goldtop
02-28-2013, 06:41 PM

Hey, cool by me. I was just worried that you might be getting tired of all this. I'm enjoying seeing all of the different takes on it. There are so many great ideas here that I'm almost afraid to show my own.

Lloyd

jfb
02-28-2013, 06:42 PM
I'll give this some thought. Might take me a bit.

Goldtop
02-28-2013, 06:44 PM
LOVE this....but I prefer Lloyd's avatar bird orientation. I think the 4 "big" birds on Lloyd's are easily the most prominent birds on the neck and are presented as such in his avatar pic, which is important IMO. The avatar pic is closest to the size of an actual TRC(on my PC screen anyway). I like the spacing or layout of Bill's "PRS forum Est. 2012" better. I think that PRS and Est. 2012 could be a hair bigger, I'm talking a very small amount to make it a bit easier to read. If I had a bigger pic of Lloyd's I might be able to combine the 2 and make the adjustments I'm thinking of(depending on how my photoshopping skills are working today, lol). I think this design encompasses the aspects that should be on the TRC without any redundancy or issue of lefty/righty.

I have a larger version. I could e-mail it to you if you want to pm me your address?

Lloyd

Goldtop
02-28-2013, 06:49 PM
It was (And the other design) based on this photo I found..http://www.mamagull.com/Day07-Kayak/GustavusEagle1.jpgI was trying to do brushstrokes with a mouse... never gonna work, lol! The graphics are a little severe, almost blade like but kind of fitting in a way as an Eagle does have some hard lines,. The head looks more like that of a penguin or parrot though... hey hoe! :)

I think that eagle photo is beautiful, Mike. Thanks for that.

Lloyd

Herr Squid
02-28-2013, 06:51 PM

And he'd be gazing back the whole time! Could anybody hold up to Paul just staring at them for more than 7 seconds?

Mikegarveyblues
02-28-2013, 06:52 PM
I think that eagle photo is beautiful, Mike. Thanks for that.

Lloyd

It's a lovely pic... Not mine sadly, just one I found on the net. It's pics like this that make me want to splash out on a high quality camera.

cosmic_ape
02-28-2013, 07:59 PM

We have a winner!

Shawn@PRS
02-28-2013, 08:52 PM
Hey, cool by me. I was just worried that you might be getting tired of all this. I'm enjoying seeing all of the different takes on it. There are so many great ideas here that I'm almost afraid to show my own.

Lloyd

Nah man, I'm not tired of the designs just tired of the rules. Have at it guys, be creative.

Goldtop
02-28-2013, 09:20 PM
Nah man, I'm not tired of the designs just tired of the rules. Have at it guys, be creative.

Alright! Gimme my pencil and stand back!

LPC

Hopeful Sinner
03-01-2013, 12:34 AM
Black Paisley Truss Rod Cover...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/40066608/paisleybam.jpg

cosmic_ape
03-01-2013, 02:08 AM

Oh, man! That's insane!!! Me likey, I wanna!

Albrecht Smuten
03-01-2013, 02:48 AM

Love it!

vchizzle
03-01-2013, 05:03 AM

Also very cool!

CoreyT
03-01-2013, 05:30 AM
I saw this one at home this morning, I really dig it.
Boeing blocks dropbox uploads from the PCs here at work though :(

Lots of great entries.

rugerpc
03-01-2013, 06:59 AM

WOW

DISTORT6
03-01-2013, 07:39 AM

Yep. That says it all. Well done!:congrats:

JustRob
03-01-2013, 07:51 AM

Love it. :congrats:

MOBirds
03-01-2013, 08:16 AM

OK This one is gorgeous! With or without the "PRS" (somewhat redundant).

Shawn, would this design be too much work for such a small sampling?

MJ Postma
03-01-2013, 08:16 AM

Awesome!! Best one by far! Well done!

Sekunda
03-01-2013, 08:18 AM

This is awesome!

CoreyT
03-01-2013, 08:21 AM
Could you imagine having a guitar with that design as inlays?
Without the text though.

Sekunda
03-01-2013, 08:23 AM
Could you imagine having a guitar with that design as inlays?
Without the text though.

I agree on the "drop the text" part as well... the design stands on it's own without it. I would love to put that on my axes. :top:

Steph
03-01-2013, 08:26 AM

Very cool... Awesome graphics... Bravo! Bravo!
Another classy one...

Blackbird
03-01-2013, 08:37 AM

Beautiful! Excellent work. A design unique to the forum without having to explicitly say so. Would put that on my axes for sure.:congrats:

docbennett
03-01-2013, 08:37 AM
The black paisley one is a great design...but, I think that "PRS text" should be reduced to allow the text to include "Forum"....that is what this is all about. Otherwise, it's just a nice classy TRC....but it would have no direct connection to our little community here. So...I would vote a "conditional yes" to this one, only if the text were changed to "PRS Forum".

I don't understand all the comments that indicate that it doesn't need to say "Forum" on it. Isn't that what prompted this whole project in the first place? And, without the word "forum" included...where is the exclusivity? Where is the implied allegiance to this place? Where is the concept that this TRC can't be obtained by anyone who is NOT a member of the forum.

You get my biases by now, I am sure! :flute:

Goldtop
03-01-2013, 08:40 AM

That's gorgeous! Well done. For those who want the word forum on it, I imagine the 'PRS' could be replaced here, right? This design with the word f-hole forum at the bottom?

Goldtop Lloyd

Goldtop
03-01-2013, 08:42 AM
That's gorgeous! Well done. For those who want the word forum on it, I imagine the 'PRS' could be replaced here, right? This design with the word f-hole forum at the bottom?

Goldtop Lloyd

Sorry Bennett. I was writing and you had already posted on the same idea. Didn't mean to copy you.

Lloyd

docbennett
03-01-2013, 08:45 AM
Sorry Bennett. I was writing and you had already posted on the same idea. Didn't mean to copy you.

Lloyd

Wish you had.....imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. As it is....now I feel validated by a similar opinion from a much more highly valued forumite than I! ;)

Blackbird
03-01-2013, 09:00 AM
I don't understand all the comments that indicate that it doesn't need to say "Forum" on it. Isn't that what prompted this whole project in the first place? And, without the word "forum" included...where is the exclusivity? Where is the implied allegiance to this place? Where is the concept that this TRC can't be obtained by anyone who is NOT a member of the forum.

Hypothetical:
Hot Female: "I like your guitar, what's that say on the top?" "What's forum mean?"
You: "Oh it's this online message board community where I gather together with my buddies on the computer and chat about PRS guitars and such."
<silence>

I mean, I'm proud to be a member here and all, but I really don't want to project that onto each and every person that sees my instrument.

docbennett
03-01-2013, 09:05 AM
Hypothetical:
Hot Female: "I like your guitar, what's that say on the top?" "What's forum mean?"
You: "Oh it's this online message board community where I gather together with my buddies on the computer and chat about PRS guitars and such."
<silence>

I mean, I'm proud to be a member here and all, but I really don't want to project that onto each and every person that sees my instrument.

If that is the case, there are an infinite number of custom TRC's that you would be able to purchase to your satisfaction. This is the PRS Forum, last I checked.

Goldtop
03-01-2013, 09:07 AM
Wish you had.....imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. As it is....now I feel validated by a similar opinion from a much more highly valued forumite than I! ;)

Please! I appreciate the kind words, but YOU are the guy! I'm just 'that guy that posts all those videos from people we've never heard of'. Or 'that doofus that always puts his username on everything'.

Back to the subject, I can't get over all of these great ideas. Amazing, and all done (hopefully) just for the fun of it. I don't know of another forum where this would happen without turning into something ugly. Very cool. I'm so glad to be a part of this community.

Lloyd

CoreyT
03-01-2013, 09:15 AM
I like the text added for a TRC, just dropped for inlays on a guitar.

I agree on the "drop the text" part as well... the design stands on it's own without it. I would love to put that on my axes. :top:

11top
03-01-2013, 09:18 AM

Goldtop Lloyd

I really like that design as well. What about having "PRS Forum" in place of the current "PRS," but having it quite a bit smaller and changing the font to a "script?"

andy474x
03-01-2013, 09:24 AM

That paisley is HOTTTTT!!! Gets my vote.

As far as it including the word "forum" on it, I could go either way... I think it looks great as is, and we don't need it to say so for us to know it's a forum thing. But if it does say "forum" on it, it's just a little bit of extra swag for us. Could it say "FORUM" inside the vertical part of the "P" (imagine turning the word 90 degrees CC and putting it in there)? Or would that be too small?

Albrecht Smuten
03-01-2013, 09:33 AM
The black paisley one is a great design...but, I think that "PRS text" should be reduced to allow the text to include "Forum"....that is what this is all about. Otherwise, it's just a nice classy TRC....but it would have no direct connection to our little community here. So...I would vote a "conditional yes" to this one, only if the text were changed to "PRS Forum".

I agree on everything you said. (and let me add that the design is the best so far, though I miss the symbol of bird circle as a symbol of community)

Man, you crack me up today! The term "forumite" is particularly juicy ;)

MOBirds
03-01-2013, 09:52 AM
Personally, I think the only requirement to make it exclusive to this forum is that you have to be a forum member to get one. That said, I don't mind text on it - either "PRS" or "PRS Forum" or such, I just would want it smaller text. The suggestion that it change to script font, or use the F-hole symbol doesn't appeal to me. The graphic with the paisley background really stands out, changing the text to something fancy as well may make it look a bit too busy. From a design perspective, you want to limit how much is fancy to just those elements needed. And as I said earlier, with no text at all would still appeal to me since the graphic itself is gorgeous and being limited to members of this forum gives it the exclusiveness required.

LSchefman
03-01-2013, 09:55 AM
The paisley thing is awesome.

I think a design unique to the forum is enough, and it doesn't have to say "PRS" or "Forum" on it, which I'd agree leans a little too far to the dweeby side of things.

hippietim
03-01-2013, 10:05 AM
Here are the two best ones I've seen so far:

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa370/hippietim/HippieTRC2_zpsb6fb237b.jpg

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa370/hippietim/HippieTRC1_zpsc05e086f.jpg

crgtr
03-01-2013, 10:09 AM

I freakin' LOVE this one! I do agree that it might be better with "forum" added. Either way...I'd buy one!

Goldtop
03-01-2013, 10:23 AM
Here are the two best ones I've seen so far:

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa370/hippietim/HippieTRC2_zpsb6fb237b.jpg

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa370/hippietim/HippieTRC1_zpsc05e086f.jpg

That's very patriotic! Either The Deadhead Nation, or The USA. Cool!

Lloyd

docbennett
03-01-2013, 10:31 AM
Personally, I think the only requirement to make it exclusive to this forum is that you have to be a forum member to get one.

I'm going to remain somewhat adamant about my position about it saying "Forum" on it. It was the forum that created the concept, the idea and the final execution (I think you will agree that Shawn was acting as a forum member in the OP).

And..there is nothing to prevent a non-forum member from obtaining a forum TRC. Just have someone else buy it for you.

I really like the designs that have been created and put forth. but I really can't understand the thinking behind having a "forum item" that does not reflect the forum itself. You can have anything created as an "homage" to your guitar, the company, etc. But having it say "forum" is analagous to the TRC's you get when you join up and pay your $60 a year. They are not the nicest TRC's in the world...but they all serve to remind you that you are part of the exclusive club that paid $60 for a t-shirt, a TRC and a 10% discount off of some PRS merchandise (plug to join up everybody!).

So...once again... I will cast my vote for a TRC that clearly includes the word "Forum" on it...preferably using the "f" hole for F....an idea that was inspired by our own forum memership.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
03-01-2013, 10:33 AM
Too much debate. Not enough design.

themike
03-01-2013, 10:35 AM
I love the paisley one but I'm affraid I think it is far too detailed for the CNC machine that does TRC? I could be wrong though!

docbennett
03-01-2013, 10:36 AM
The paisley thing is awesome.

I think a design unique to the forum is enough, and it doesn't have to say "PRS" or "Forum" on it, which I'd agree leans a little too far to the dweeby side of things.

Les.....seriously.....what do you think is "dweeby" about having the TRC say "forum" on it? I am not following your line of thinking. If it's not too dweeby to be a member of the forum, why would it be dweeby to advertise it to the world? I am PROUD of it.

Anyone who thinks this is a nerdy place or a dweeby place is welcome to hang someplace else. but, I don't see the connection at all. I find this place to be populated by a group whose demographic is above average intelligence, above average musical skills, above average gear....in other words, everyone here is above average in some way!

11top
03-01-2013, 10:37 AM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ;54917']Too much debate. Not enough design.

We have some master debaters.

docbennett
03-01-2013, 10:47 AM
We have some master debaters.

I disagree.

:D:D

Goldtop
03-01-2013, 10:54 AM
All I know is that I'm glad I don't have the machinery needed to make TRCs. Otherwise, I'd be butt deep in these things. Some real beauties here.

Lloyd

LSchefman
03-01-2013, 10:56 AM
Les.....seriously.....what do you think is "dweeby" about having the TRC say "forum" on it? I am not following your line of thinking. If it's not too dweeby to be a member of the forum, why would it be dweeby to advertise it to the world? I am PROUD of it.

Anyone who thinks this is a nerdy place or a dweeby place is welcome to hang someplace else. but, I don't see the connection at all. I find this place to be populated by a group whose demographic is above average intelligence, above average musical skills, above average gear....in other words, everyone here is above average in some way!

I'm happy to oblige, but further argument is going to cost you 5 Pounds.

11top
03-01-2013, 11:00 AM
I disagree.

Huh? Did I misspell it again? It's only 1 word?:dontknow:

docbennett
03-01-2013, 11:09 AM
I'm happy to oblige, but further argument is going to cost you 5 Pounds.

Check your paypal account. It is there, along with the coupon for a free Kosher hot dog, a case of "Depends" and an Angelfish Sandwich!

:laugh::laugh:

I hope you know I'm kidding my friend.

LSchefman
03-01-2013, 11:12 AM
I disagree.

In all seriousness, I don't think the forum is dweeby. I just think you have the logo, the paisley, and that's enough.

The dweeby part is cluttering up the design. Either have the words, or have the logo.

A Polo golf shirt doesn't have the horsie and the word Polo underneath it. It would be far dweebier if it did.

JustRob
03-01-2013, 11:18 AM
Compromise? Forum with F hole, but so small it can barely be seen?

http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t427/leeotto9/Compromise_zpsd6039330.jpg

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
03-01-2013, 11:20 AM
This wayward thread is about to be "Certified Silver". Hey, 3-Mike... where's the graphic?

MOBirds
03-01-2013, 11:26 AM
"I'm going to remain somewhat adamant about my position about it saying "Forum" on it."

I'm not adamant with any of it. I'm just looking from a visual design perspective. I really detailed graphic should have minimal or no text since it detracts from the graphic. So, my preferences with that particular graphic would be 1) no text at all, 2) small plain-font text (Forum/PRS Forum/etc). If it were done with the F-hole symbol and script text along with that graphic.... that may be getting into the gaudy realm.

With that said, of the simpler designs suggested, I really like the F-Hole'ised Forum in the center of the circle of birds as well (Goldtop's current avatar).

themike
03-01-2013, 11:26 AM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ;54954']This wayward thread is about to be "Certified Silver". Hey, 3-Mike... where's the graphic?

I KNOW I KNOW, I'm almost done with it I promise! haha

Shawn@PRS
03-01-2013, 11:28 AM
After (entirely too) much discussion about the TRC design, we have come to a compromise that will surely make no one happy.

This is the winning entry.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/gitfukintar/PRS/blackTRCcrop_zps8b75588a.jpg

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
03-01-2013, 11:29 AM
/thread

Mike Duncan
03-01-2013, 11:33 AM
None more black.

CoreyT
03-01-2013, 11:34 AM
I am drawing a blank there Shawn.
Hey, who will be making these?

After (entirely too) much discussion about the TRC design, we have come to a compromise that will surely make no one happy.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/gitfukintar/PRS/blackTRCcrop_zps8b75588a.jpg

Goldtop
03-01-2013, 11:37 AM

A silent salute to Spinal Tap. I dig it!

Goldtop (over black in this case)