PDA

View Full Version : Sig Limited/408 - Outside The Circle, And Swoosh! Nothin' But Net.

LSchefman
03-04-2013, 03:52 PM
You know you're really happy about a guitar when you start depending on it for a big load of the work, right? You work with it, you get used to what it can do, your confidence grows, and you appreciate it even more. That's where I am after a couple of months with the Siggy Limited.

I won't recap the whole thing about what I needed and why, but it was about a work project. What I didn't expect was a 3 pointer from outside the circle that was perfectly shot.

This is a phenomenal guitar! The pickups are just so good. It's a Jack of all trades, yeah, and a master of them all, too. Total home-run. Loving it.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
03-04-2013, 03:55 PM
This thread is useless without (more) photos.

LSchefman
03-04-2013, 04:16 PM
Your wish is my command -- obligatory iPhone couch shot (phone cam makes it look purplish):

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i332/lschefman/Sig_zps55aa377a.jpg

And a nice shot of switching and pickups:

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i332/lschefman/SIGLTDCBd__63424133046101112801280_zps798ee4d0.jpg

LSchefman
03-04-2013, 04:21 PM
Note the second photo, above, all happy switches going "schwingg!"

jfb
03-04-2013, 07:17 PM
Note the second photo, above, all happy switches going "schwingg!"

Bwahahaha!

This is the Sig Lim I'd buy. So nice!

veinbuster
03-04-2013, 07:30 PM
I'm glad you like it.
Bonus that it looks spectacular.

LSchefman
03-04-2013, 07:30 PM
Bwahahaha!

This is the Sig Lim I'd buy. So nice!

I'm glad you like it.
Bonus that it looks spectacular.

Thanks!

One of the things I've always wished for was a humbucker guitar that could be as articulate and crisp as a single coil guitar. On most 'buckers, there is just too much phase cancellation to allow that when both coils are on, and the split sounds most always employ more than one pickup, which introduces other cancellations.

But the width of these pickups combined with other parts of the design give me a very articulate guitar in either mode. It can be dialed in with a lot of cut and bite. Or not.

And of course, that can be rolled off, or it can get the phasier, more traditional humbucker split sounds in the middle position using the switches, etc.

The choices are really great, if you understand what's happening and why the guitar is designed the way it is. The pickups are brilliant, the guitar sounds great even acoustically, and it works for me. That's a great thing.

MA Pete
03-04-2013, 08:21 PM
Glad to hear you are digging it, Les!

My PS DC 245 Sig is inbound this week, can't wait!!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-z5v_KdFKtU0/URLZjW4IIUI/AAAAAAAADfk/yUpWzjMm1Dw/s1190/Aquamarine.JPG

LSchefman
03-04-2013, 08:28 PM
Glad to hear you are digging it, Les!

My PS DC 245 Sig is inbound this week, can't wait!!

That's off the charts, Pete! I'd be pretty excited, too!

Tag
03-04-2013, 08:33 PM
Your wish is my command -- obligatory iPhone couch shot (phone cam makes it look purplish):

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i332/lschefman/Sig_zps55aa377a.jpg

Stunner Les. Beautiful guitar.

butterfly
03-04-2013, 09:00 PM
Beautiful guitar and great tone story. Nice compliance on the pics too!

bluefade
03-04-2013, 09:10 PM
Thanks!

One of the things I've always wished for was a humbucker guitar that could be as articulate and crisp as a single coil guitar. On most 'buckers, there is just too much phase cancellation to allow that when both coils are on, and the split sounds most always employ more than one pickup, which introduces other cancellations.

But the width of these pickups combined with other parts of the design give me a very articulate guitar in either mode. It can be dialed in with a lot of cut and bite. Or not.

And of course, that can be rolled off, or it can get the phasier, more traditional humbucker split sounds in the middle position using the switches, etc.

The choices are really great, if you understand what's happening and why the guitar is designed the way it is. The pickups are brilliant, the guitar sounds great even acoustically, and it works for me. That's a great thing.

When i heard the tones of this guitar, I knew i had found the instrument I had been looking for all along. I traded a 57/08 Mcarty,a Mcarty korina with brazzy board and a korina custom 24. This is the most versatile guitar I've ever owned !!! I totally feel where you're coming from, Les !!! This is the tool that will allow you to play anything you can imagine. To Mr smith,I say, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
03-04-2013, 09:24 PM
Might be enough members now to get the Siggy pile-on going.

http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?686-Got-Sig

LSchefman
03-05-2013, 12:47 AM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ;55894']Might be enough members now to get the Siggy pile-on going.

http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?686-Got-Sig

You bet! Mine's added to the pile! Do you still have all four of those gorgeous Sigs, Hans? They are spectacular.

Raven17
03-05-2013, 12:52 AM
Fantastic! The 408 is next on my wish list.

CoreyT
03-05-2013, 03:13 AM
Nice ax Les, cannot wait for mine to show up.
Glad you are enjoying yours.

With the small toggles up, is that the split coil position or humbucker?

TAJ
03-05-2013, 08:08 AM
Great looking guitar Les. I am still saving my pennies up to put an order in for a PS version similair to Pete's incoming DC. (I hope) :D

LSchefman
03-05-2013, 08:43 AM
Nice ax Les, cannot wait for mine to show up.
Glad you are enjoying yours.

With the small toggles up, is that the split coil position or humbucker?

Up is split.

LSchefman
03-05-2013, 09:04 AM
Great looking guitar Les. I am still saving my pennies up to put an order in for a PS version similair to Pete's incoming DC. (I hope) :D

That will be very cool!

CoreyT
03-05-2013, 10:21 AM
Up is split.
Thanks, that makes sense, kind of like pulling "up" on a tone knob on my SE 24 to split its coils.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
03-05-2013, 12:17 PM
You bet! Mine's added to the pile! Do you still have all four of those gorgeous Sigs, Hans? They are spectacular.

The '89 Sig was sold to a guy in Hong Kong. Still have the other 3.

RedGuitars
03-06-2013, 08:25 AM
I've had my Siggy Ltd for right about a year now. I don' think it's going anywhere...

http://web.qx.net/mcantrell/gear/SigLtd/SigLtd-Dallas.JPG

themike
03-06-2013, 08:27 AM
I've had my Siggy Ltd for right about a year now. I don' think it's going anywhere...

[de-rail] Do you still have that photo of your Cherry Metallic Standard and cat? I always loved that photo! hahah

38Roars
03-06-2013, 08:52 AM
Nice Les.... I love the sound of a good SWOOSH!!

LSchefman
03-15-2013, 08:36 PM
When i heard the tones of this guitar, I knew i had found the instrument I had been looking for all along. I traded a 57/08 Mcarty,a Mcarty korina with brazzy board and a korina custom 24. This is the most versatile guitar I've ever owned !!! I totally feel where you're coming from, Les !!! This is the tool that will allow you to play anything you can imagine. To Mr smith,I say, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just to return to this thread for a moment, I was thinking about this post and what you said as I was playing the guitar on a track yesterday.

I don't have a lot of guitars, so having this versatility is just great. Even with traditional pickups it'd be a great guitar, very lively, great feel, etc., but the 408s knock it out of the park. I totally agree!!

I love my others, but this is a desert island guitar.

Of course, I'd need a good looking woman to play for...and stuff..

bluefade
03-15-2013, 10:01 PM
Just to return to this thread for a moment, I was thinking about this post and what you said as I was playing the guitar on a track yesterday.

I don't have a lot of guitars, so having this versatility is just great. Even with traditional pickups it'd be a great guitar, very lively, great feel, etc., but the 408s knock it out of the park. I totally agree!!

I love my others, but this is a desert island guitar.

Of course, I'd need a good looking woman to play for...and stuff..

If we are gonna include a woman,Les,lets let her play our guitar for us,on that island of yours,EH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How sweet it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LSchefman
03-16-2013, 09:08 AM
If we are gonna include a woman,Les,lets let her play our guitar for us,on that island of yours,EH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How sweet it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you're coming along, we'll need two women who can play. ;)