PDA

View Full Version : Is anybody else here kinda creeped out by birds?

sergiodeblanc
03-08-2013, 02:54 AM
I'm not sayin' I'm afraid of them, I'm just sayin' I'm not really a bird watcher or even a bird fan. I appreciate the PRS stylized birds and really like the ME logo as a "brand" identity, but real live birds totally creep me out.

Do you really like birds?

Do you buy other things with birds on them?

Are you afraid that a swarm of birds will attack your face and snatch your small dog?

Albrecht Smuten
03-08-2013, 03:13 AM
I want an owl.
I've got a beautiful ginger cat with HUGE eyes, who makes several different sounds, including hooting. When she dies, I'm getting a ginger owl.

garrett
03-08-2013, 08:06 AM
Hate 'em for the most part. The exception being big birds of prey. I enjoy watching owls, falcons and hawks. It makes me sad that moon inlays have become less of an option on PRS guitars.

I've been harassed by, and my wife has actually been attacked by, a magpie-lark when we lived in Australia. Nasty little bastards, those. Emus also scare the poop out of me.

Blackbird
03-08-2013, 08:44 AM
Wasn't a huge bird fan before discovering PRS. Even now I really only admire birds in the context of a PRS, but definitely not creeped out by them.
Now, cats. If the fretboard inlays were varying species of cats, that would be frightening.

vchizzle
03-08-2013, 09:10 AM
Not creeped out by them, but they sometimes get on my nerves. Occasionally they wake me up when I want to sleep....really a problem when I have to work 3rd shift in the spring - that and lawn mowers. In the next couple months they'll start trying to build a nest behind the light fixture on my front porch. EVERY year I spend at least a week dismantling their under construction home.

LSchefman
03-08-2013, 09:42 AM
Some birds creep me out.

Hopeful Sinner
03-08-2013, 09:47 AM
Large flocks of birds, murders of crows etc, freak me out...

Steve59
03-08-2013, 09:48 AM
I actually like birds very much. I own an Eclectus parrot who is extremely friendly to me. I can put him on the floor and walk around the house and he will waddle around following me.

My wife brought a Conure into our marriage and that bird is very cool. Both of our birds talk on occasion.

I love setting outside in warm weather listening to birds when I'm relaxing with an adult beverage. My favorite bird call to listen to is a cardinal. Something we have quite a few of in this area.

Birds are cool.

Goldtop
03-08-2013, 09:58 AM
I don't have a problem with birds, but I'll tell you what I do have a problem with: Spiders. I am scared out of my mind of spiders! I can't stand 'em. Even the 'cute' fake ones at Halloween. No way! Twice in my life I have actually broken toes getting away from spiders. Years ago, I worked in an office, and I was the only man there among twenty or so women. One day I saw a spider passing by about six feet off to my left, and I was UP AND OUTTA THERE! I found out later that someone said 'he must have seen a spider', so they looked around, and a little old lady who also worked there found it and killed it with her cane. At the time I looked like a big, hairy biker, long beard and hair, the works, but everybody knew that I was putty when it came to spiders. Afterwards, they had to come find me outside to tell me it was safe to come back to my desk. They probably still laugh about it today...

Lloyd

Rango
03-08-2013, 10:44 AM
Nope - love to watch them fly.

Plus there are many birds that are TASTY! ;-)

Oh and I LOVE the birds on the fret board. I've passed on a couple of guitars that were moons that I might have bough if they'd been BIRDS. ;)

John Beef
03-08-2013, 11:03 AM
Hey, guys! What's going on in this thread?

http://24.media.tumblr.com/dfbfffbb873bb6325b4e41a1b55938fc/tumblr_mizhlunbwv1r4zr2vo2_r1_500.gif

Oh, you think I'm creepy? You with your flailing meat limbs, stuck to the ground? Weirdo. I'm outta here.

frankb56
03-08-2013, 11:23 AM
I love birds....not in an intimate way of course.:five: I have a bird feeder in my back yard that attracts all kinds of birds. My wife hates them and won't allow anything with a bird on it in our house. So I have to limit my love affair out doors.

Also a Peregrine Falcon was in my back yard this past weekend eyeing my little terrier.... Don't fear the birds....Fear the Reaper!

Rango
03-08-2013, 11:35 AM
:eek:
My wife hates them and won't allow anything with a bird on it in our house. So I have to limit my love affair out doors.

You have to keep and play your PRS OUTSIDE!? :eek:

:D

frankb56
03-08-2013, 11:47 AM
Ironically, I keep my PRS in my mom's house.... Luckily she's in the neighborhood and I have my Man Cave II there. My wife's a therapist, usually has weekend and evening hours, so I can't play at home anyways.

In fact, don't tell her, but I don't think she's never seen my PRS (just bought it a few months ago):beer:

captdg
03-08-2013, 12:11 PM
We have birds land on the boat just to die. You can offer them food or water, but they wont touch it.. I remember a wren I captured on the deck, we were 150 miles from land, I put it in a box and when we got to the dock relesed it.. The damn thing flew right back offshore!

Egads
03-08-2013, 01:44 PM

http://24.media.tumblr.com/dfbfffbb873bb6325b4e41a1b55938fc/tumblr_mizhlunbwv1r4zr2vo2_r1_500.gif

Oh, you think I'm creepy? You with your flailing meat limbs, stuck to the ground? Weirdo. I'm outta here.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
03-08-2013, 01:54 PM
:rofl: Post of the month. :rofl:

Mikegarveyblues
03-08-2013, 02:00 PM
Drunk birds.

AP515
03-08-2013, 02:23 PM
Are you afraid that a swarm of birds will attack your face and snatch your small dog?

It is probably something in your DNA since birds are the last remaining dinosaurs on this planet. I personally don't care for the Crow/Magpie varieties, but I like to wake to the ones in the morning in my backyard. The Mockingbird is the best since he can produce so many different calls. The Blue Jays fight everything that tries to get to the feeders. They are just plain mean.

Shultzie
03-08-2013, 02:34 PM
Hate 'em.

Cow-pie flippin' worm eatin', build a nest in your dryer vent varmints - Mesozoic Coelurosaurian Dinosaurs.

Sorry, got carried away there - Sure doesn't stop me from buying the guitars though. Just my se standard is sans birds.

That's a good thread, what animal inlays WOULD keep you from buying a guitar (Take note, no brand mentioned)

Shultzie

Dirty Bob
03-08-2013, 02:36 PM
We get tons of birds in my yard...including a few different kinds of species of woodpeckers and blue birds which are amazingly beautiful...

they are fun to watch.

At the same point in time birds overall are creepy...I mean how could they not be?...they have no hands?!?!:congrats:

jfb
03-08-2013, 02:37 PM
I'm fine with birds. Cows and horses kind if weird me out though,

sergiodeblanc
03-08-2013, 02:43 PM
That's a good thread, what animal inlays WOULD keep you from buying a guitar (Take note, no brand mentioned)

Shultzie

You should start that thread!

veinbuster
03-08-2013, 04:01 PM
I don't mind them as long as they don't fly over me right after dinner.

Mikegarveyblues
03-08-2013, 04:13 PM
Cows and horses kind if weird me out though,

Beef product manufacturers in the UK have a hard time distinguishing between the two right now!

Boogie
03-08-2013, 04:20 PM
I'm not sayin' I'm afraid of them...but real live birds totally creep me out...Are you afraid that a swarm of birds will attack your face and snatch your small dog?
Calling Doctor Ned! Phobia dissection and otherwise general head shrinkage needed in aisle 3.

Thanks you for shopping with us today.;)

what animal inlays WOULD keep you from buying a guitar

Anything with an indiscernable profile. I was traumatized when I found out that the turtle on my 24th fret was really an owl. :eek: Single cell organisms - out. Anything in the larval stage - out. Spectators at a football game, as seen from a blimp - out. Snot Sea Cucumbers - out!

rschleicher
03-08-2013, 06:14 PM
I'm a big bird fan, and a non-serious, amateur bird-watcher. My favorites are the bird of prey. But at the other end of the size spectrum, hummingbirds are awesome as well. We have a couple of feeders and a bird bath in the yard, and have also tried to have a fair amount of flowers of the kind that hummingbirds like, so we have a pretty good bird population in the yard.

Being in the San Francisco Bay Area, there are a lot of opportunities for seeing a wide variety of birds, without having to travel that far. Our immediate environment is sort of a semi-arid chaparral environment, but with enough trees in the subdivisions to also attract many of the kinds of songbirds that live in wooded areas. And the coast is less than an hour away, for seeing shorebirds, and in the opposite direction you have the wintering wetlands used by thousands upon thousands of ducks, herons, egrets, sandhill cranes, etc. (part of the Pacific Flyway). A few hours away is the high Sierra, with mountain-habitat birds. Plenty of hawks and owls all over, plus some eagles (mostly golden, but the occasional bald eagle), and less than two hours away is an area with a small number of the rare California condors.

For those who don't like birds, Alfred Hitchcock's movie "The Birds" was set (and filmed in part) in Bodega Bay, which is about 50 miles north of San Francisco.

docbennett
03-09-2013, 09:56 AM
Calling Doctor Ned! Phobia dissection and otherwise general head shrinkage needed in aisle 3...

Call me Ned again...I dare you....I double dog dare you. I have a team of Navy SEALS descending on Han's house as I type this, ready to begin a series of tortures so malevolent, so medieval...that even the most callous individual would have to turn their head....until he renounces the "Ned" moniker. I am NOT Ned!!!!

Ok...rant over with.

That being said...by coincidence....I always found the Eagle to be my favorite animal. Strong....able to fly....keen eyesight....very cool creature. Then, low and behold....it becomes that symbol of the PRS private stock and an inlay.

Very cool.

LSchefman
03-09-2013, 10:11 AM
I dunno about this renunciation thing. Here you are in this virtual frathouse, lucky enough to have been dubbed by your peers with a singular nickname that no one else not actually named Ned gets to use, and you're in rejection mode.

Can you imagine the Deltas at Faber College without Bluto, Otter, Boon, Flounder and Pinto?

Of course not!

"Bluto: Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Otter: [whispering] Germans?

Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.

Bluto: And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough... [thinks hard] the tough get goin'! Who's with me? Let's go!

[runs out, alone; then returns]

What the **** happened to the Delta I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the guts, huh? "Ooh, we're afraid to go with you Bluto, we might get in trouble." Well just kiss my *** from now on! Not me! I'm not gonna take this."

You're NED, man! Wear the name with pride! Who else on this board gets to be Ned, the Destroyer? Huh? No one!

By the way Ned, that's "lo and behold" not "low and behold." "Lo" is a 17th Century version of the word, "look." So the phrase means "look and observe," (and the implication is to be astonished), it means nothing using the word, "low." Lesson in King James' Bible usage over. For now. ;)

Oh, you're thinking that was a mere typo? You actually understand the correct usage?

Well, pardon me for living.

"Pardon me for living," was something my 8th grade English teacher used to say when the class would roll their eyeballs at her extremely picky critiques. She was 1000 years old then, as far as we were concerned, a hag (of maybe 35) who at any moment was likely to die of old age.

And now I'm the old hag, but only when I put on a 1963 version of a teacher dress and a wig. I'm usually far more up to date.

docbennett
03-09-2013, 10:24 AM
Les.....allow me to repeat....politely... I'm not Ned. I'd continue this discussion in the "Point-Counter-point Forum, but apparently the moderators don't want to have a running documentaiton of our "discussions". :o

swede71
03-09-2013, 10:24 AM
Imagine a world without birds chirp....i even like the raspy chatter of the magpie couple near my place :)

docbennett
03-09-2013, 10:28 AM
I dunno about this renunciation thing..

In order for me to renounce it....it means that at one time I would have accepted/embraced it.

Therefore (and William Safire would certainly approve) I can "denounce" Ned, but to "renounce" him, I would have had to have accepted and proselytized him at some point.

So there!

LSchefman
03-09-2013, 10:44 AM
In order for me to renounce it....it means that at one time I would have accepted/embraced it.

Therefore (and William Safire would certainly approve) I can "denounce" Ned, but to "renounce" him, I would have had to have accepted and proselytized him at some point.

So there!

Actually, that is not the case. There is a usage of the word that does not require prior acceptance:

"renounce |riˈnouns|
verb [ with obj. ]

• refuse to recognize or abide by any longer"

In this case, you are refusing to recognize or abide by the appellation 'Ned'. By refusing to abide, you are "unable to tolerate" the name.

As to prior acceptance, I remind you that at first, you did tolerate it, and even accepted it. I recall posts that you signed "Ned the Destroyer." I'm not going to look them up, however. You can do that.

Also, silence on a matter can be deemed to be acceptance. I'd say that you did accept it. We might disagree over that, but I am prepared to move for partial summary judgment on whether my usage is correct under FRCP 56. ;)

Lo and Behold! Bennett renounceth the Ned name!

Having renounced the name (note my superb usage of the past pluperfect), what do you want us to call you now?

Blackbird
03-09-2013, 10:51 AM
The PRS Experience 2013 should offer a sumo-showdown booth for Les and DocBennett to have a face off.
http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab156/ahogfan80/sumo_0_zps4b3e8c09.jpg

LSchefman
03-09-2013, 11:00 AM
The PRS Experience 2013 should offer a sumo-showdown booth for Les and DocBennett to have a face off.

Actually, Bennett and I enjoy this back-and-forth battle of words. It keeps our minds sharp, and it's entertaining (for us).

I'm not really the type of person who'd attend an Experience, though I would enjoy wearing that costume!

docbennett
03-09-2013, 11:27 AM
OK..here is the deal....The Reagan Administration and Mohammar Qaddafi split hairs over the definition. Qaddafi was willing to denounce terrorism. The White-house insisted upon his renouncing it. I forget who won. I guess the point is moot now.

And, silence cannot be considered "tacit acceptance" if Hans hadn't sent an ultrasonic transmitter along with the signed playing card, and anytime I attempt to verbalize my "denunciation" I get this friggin' shock.
Sucks, man.

OK...what was that about Birds?

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
03-09-2013, 11:32 AM
Bennett,

I didn't know "Ned" bugged you. In fact, I thought you liked the nickname.

I won't call you Ned anymore.

And...

No politics, please.

docbennett
03-09-2013, 11:46 AM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;57396']Bennett, I didn't know "Ned" bugged you. In fact, I thought you liked the nickname.

I won't call you Ned anymore. And...
No politics, please.

Hey Hans...I was exaggerating....it was hyperbole...while I will say that I'm not thrilled with the moniker....it did give me a chance to riff once again with my favorite protagonist.

No hard feelings. And the politics were merely an exercise in history. I'm actually familiar with that particular anecdote because I used to read the William Safire column in the Sunday Times and he used that exact example to describe the difference between "denounce" and "renounce".

Anyway...no hard feelings. Bennett (the bird) Opraman (another obscure reference) :D

Mikegarveyblues
03-09-2013, 11:51 AM
Sumo showdown at the Experience?

I'm there!!

http://www.fenvy.com/media/catalog/product/CC-00981.jpg

LSchefman
03-09-2013, 12:48 PM
I'm actually familiar with that particular anecdote because I used to read the William Safire column in the Sunday Times and he used that exact example to describe the difference between "denounce" and "renounce".

Proving once again that you can't believe everything you read! ;)

I always wondered if Safire was the guy behind Spiro Agnew's "nattering nabobs of negativity" phrase in speeches when he was Nixon's speechwriter (this is not political, it is a factual question about historical figures).

docbennett
03-09-2013, 12:51 PM
Proving once again that you can't believe everything you read! ;)

I always wondered if Safire was the guy behind Spiro Agnew's "nattering nabobs of negativity" phrase in speeches when he was Nixon's speechwriter (this is not political, it is a factual question about historical figures).

What about the "Effete Snobs"???

First time I learned what "Nolo Contendre" meant. ;)

LSchefman
03-09-2013, 01:11 PM
Bennett, a man needs a nom de guerre, something that his comrades and subordinates can cling to as they rush off into the abyss to face the enemy.

When I served on the Russian Front in WWII, I would have been proud to be called "Ned Der Zerstörer." I would have happily accepted the title, "Ned, Exterminatore" during the Second Crusade, or "Ned le Destructeur" when I served with Napoleon. But alas, you are not.

Great soldiers (and even not-so-great) often have wacky nicknames!

"Old Blood and Guts" -- Patton

"The Red Baron" (German, der Rote Baron) — Manfred von Richthofen

"Lakeitel (German, "lackey") - Wilhelm Keitel, German World War II general staff officer

"Desperate Frankie" — Louis Franchet d'Espčrey, French general during World War I

"Grumble" — William E. Jones, Confederate general

"Smiling Al" -- Kesselring

""The Auk" — Claude Auchinleck, British Indian Army Field Marshal

"Autie" — George Custer

"Bad Old Man" — Jubal Early, Confederate Army general

"The Bear" — Norman Schwarzkopf, Jr

"Howling Mad" — Holland M. Smith, U.S. Marine Corps general

"Big Al, (The Sailor's Pal)" - Al Konetzni, American Admiral

"Bomber" — Arthur T. Harris, British Air Chief Marshal during World War II

"Boots" — Frederick C. Blesse, fighter ace

Think of your troops! Who would you rather follow into battle, Ned the Destroyer, or Bennett the shrink?

I may lose the will to fight on.

joebalaguer
03-09-2013, 04:20 PM
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r308/JJB717/a02_zps6a7a8055.png

CREEPED OUT YOU SAY?.....

TGSCAN
03-09-2013, 04:34 PM
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8091/8543426102_3ec2eba16e_b.jpg

docbennett
03-09-2013, 04:35 PM
Creeped out, you say?.....

http://imagecache5d.art.com/Crop/cropwm.jpg?img=-54-5488-R5BWG00Z&x=0&y=0&w=1000&h=1000&size=2&maxw=1472&maxh=696&q=100

Boogie
03-09-2013, 04:53 PM
And to think I started all of this with a mere psychoanalytical call-to-arms. :wave:

To continue the Animal House references..."boy, it this GREAT!!":biggrin:

Best thread derailment EVER.
http://maps.mikesmarauders.com/guitar/thomastrainwreck.jpg

TGSCAN
03-09-2013, 05:03 PM
I'm not sayin' I'm afraid of them, I'm just sayin' I'm not really a bird watcher or even a bird fan. I appreciate the PRS stylized birds and really like the ME logo as a "brand" identity, but real live birds totally creep me out.

Do you really like birds?

Do you buy other things with birds on them?

I had a chick tell me about her ex-boyfriend one day..

she said .. "He didn't even like birds"

true story.

TGSCAN
03-09-2013, 05:04 PM

this guy is POSSESSED by "BIRD DEVIL" !!!

PRSHB2
03-09-2013, 05:18 PM
Just washed my car and within 2 minutes a bird took a dump on it. Who trains birds to do that?

DISTORT6
03-09-2013, 05:22 PM

Top pic...TRC GOLD! I vote for this.

Mikegarveyblues
03-09-2013, 05:58 PM
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8091/8543426102_3ec2eba16e_b.jpg

"Why the long face?"

sergiodeblanc
03-09-2013, 06:02 PM

true story.

Next time you see her tell her I want my TV back!

Shawn@PRS
03-09-2013, 06:39 PM

true story.

Hahahaha!

Goldtop
03-09-2013, 06:52 PM
A strange old bird is a pelican;
His beak holds more than his belly can;
He can hold in his beak;
Enough food for a week;
But I don't see how the he** he can.

Thank you. Goldtop

joebalaguer
03-10-2013, 09:41 PM

:laugh: