PDA

View Full Version : PRS studio middle pickup's ring problem

alexrebel
03-11-2013, 04:12 AM
Hello guys,

I have a little problem...

I have a PRS Studio, the new model with 2 narrowfields pickups.

When I play, especially by standing, I always pick the middle pickup's ring and I hate it.
The pickup is not a problem, but the ring...yes!

I know , probably it is because I always used to play a Gibson Les Paul, where I have a big distance between the pickups and I can pick wherever I want...

When i bought this model of guitar, I played it by sitting, and I didn't have any kind of problem.
But now, that I'm playing a lot with my band, I have to find a solution...

I really love this instrument, and I cannot believe I have to play it worried about that ring...

What can I do?

Do you have any suggest please?

Thank you very much for your help.

justmund
03-11-2013, 05:44 AM
Try adjusting your strap so the guitar is in the same, or very similar position to when you are sitting.

Hope that helps, I'm sure the Studio is a fantastic guitar (I love Narrowfields!)

alexrebel
03-11-2013, 05:59 AM
I was thinking about moving down the ring... but I don't know how...
Do you think it could be a solution?

garrett
03-11-2013, 07:43 AM
You could take the ring off and sand down the bottom to reduce the height. You may want to make sure you can buy a replacement from PRS first, just in case things go wrong.

alexrebel
03-11-2013, 07:49 AM
It is excatly what I thought...
I looked for a narrowfield ring on internet... but I couldn't find it =/

Thank you very much guys

garrett
03-11-2013, 08:29 AM
It is excatly what I thought...
I looked for a narrowfield ring on internet... but I couldn't find it =/

Thank you very much guys

I would try sending an email to PRS customer service to see if they might sell one to you.

LSchefman
03-12-2013, 02:05 AM
Try a shorter pick.

I'm serious. You might be surprised. And it won't cost much to find out.

Hopeful Sinner
03-12-2013, 07:42 AM
I would contact John Mann. I've seen some innovative things he's done with pickup rings. He could probably build you a low profile ring...

www.mannmadeusa.com

Woundtight
03-12-2013, 08:24 AM
remove the pickup.

or direct mount the pickup, a la EVH.

alexrebel
03-12-2013, 09:16 AM
Remove the pickup? Complete? or only the ring?

May I remove only the ring? or the pickup will move without it?

Woundtight
03-12-2013, 10:20 AM
Remove it completely. That would solve the problem. Might look like crap and you have fewer pickup switching options, but it is a solution...

Or direct mount into the body. Always thought this looked pretty bada$$. With a top like that and Blue Steel stain, what's not to like:
https://www.mikigakki.com/category/UEG212PRS1109/ro/c/b/o1819/p1/details.php?order=1

blaren
03-25-2013, 11:08 AM
meh...try not to worry about it for a while. Like I said at the other forum...you'll probably get used to it..or more likely, you'll make an unconscious adjustment and it'll stop "happening". Good Luck