PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Guitar interview with PRSH

Shawn@PRS
04-08-2013, 07:47 PM
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/interviews/interviews/paul_reed_smith_i_didnt_have_enough_money_to_buy_g uitars_-_thats_why_i_started_making_them.html?no_takeover

cjmwrx
04-08-2013, 09:36 PM
Good article. Thanks for sharing!

jfb
04-08-2013, 10:00 PM
Good read. Thanks for the link.

LSchefman
04-08-2013, 10:05 PM
That was an awfully interesting interview.

geese_com
04-08-2013, 10:18 PM
That was a very good interview. Thanks for pointing it out.

Hopeful Sinner
04-08-2013, 11:23 PM
Great stuff!!! Thanks for posting this...

sergiodeblanc
04-08-2013, 11:37 PM
Bangin'

CoreyT
04-09-2013, 06:35 AM
Dagnabbit!
I clicked on the link at home this morning before leaving for work, and I read part of it, and I was going to finish it here at work.
Now I get a Page Not Found [ #404 ] error, then another page pops up in its place.
What happened to the article?

Boogie
04-09-2013, 06:39 AM
Somehow, whenever I imagine "learning how to love my work" I instantly flash-back to this scene... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bfgrj_62-Y) Luckily, PRSh never wore his hair like Sam. :biggrin:

(caution: LANGUAGE ALERT)

Shawn@PRS
04-09-2013, 07:24 AM
new link: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/interviews/interviews/paul_reed_smith_i_didnt_have_enough_money_to_buy_g uitars_-_thats_why_i_started_making_them.html?no_takeover

FlameTop
04-09-2013, 07:49 AM
"What is the most expensive guitar you ever made?

A double-necked Dragon and a specific Private Stock guitar took us a year to make."

First time I've heard of a mega-PS being made. Does anyone have any other details on that one?

DISTORT6
04-09-2013, 10:30 AM
Somehow, whenever I imagine "learning how to love my work" I instantly flash-back to this scene... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bfgrj_62-Y) Luckily, PRSh never wore his hair like Sam. :biggrin:

(caution: LANGUAGE ALERT)

Man, I really miss Sam.
He made me laugh like no other.

Shawn@PRS
04-09-2013, 11:16 AM
Question: The aliens have come down and found the PRS time capsule. Inside it are three of the best guitars you've ever built. Which three guitars are in there?

PRSH: Carlos Santana's wedding guitar that was given to him for his wedding that was made by Private Stock.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/gitfukintar/PRS/Artist%20Guitars/carlos1_zpsbd5e0132.jpg
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/gitfukintar/PRS/Artist%20Guitars/carlos2_zps16a95104.jpg
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/gitfukintar/PRS/Artist%20Guitars/carlos4_zps0b347920.jpg

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
04-09-2013, 11:49 AM
When Steve says, "Buy aLegacy amp," that's because he believes in it, right? The guy isn't supposed to have to know what every vintage amp sounds like. He should trust his hero.

I trust Paul Smith. That's why I'm here. That's why I pour my soul into this community.

themike
04-09-2013, 12:03 PM
-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ;65078']I trust Paul Smith. That's why I'm here. That's why I pour my soul into this community.

Agreed. It's funny too because , and this interview depicts it nicely, that you get guys on other unamed forums bashing PRS for being a rip off of this early gibsons and that early blah blah, and its like - if you'd just read an interview or talk to him he says it flat out. "I was inspired by this shape, this neck carve, those pickups and this bridge from all these different guitars to create my own and it's worked! "

CoreyT
04-09-2013, 03:28 PM
Just finished the article, very well written.
I like how Carlos was blown away from the quality of the first SE Santana, and he thought it was Maryland made.
The SEs are even better now than when that first model was introduced.

I am still blown away when I play any of my SEs.
So what is going to happen the first time I play my new 408?

sergiodeblanc
04-09-2013, 04:06 PM

Have some fresh pants handy.

CoreyT
04-09-2013, 05:31 PM
He he he, I will put some Depends on so I can keep playing.

leeasam
04-09-2013, 10:19 PM
Just finished the article, very well written.
I like how Carlos was blown away from the quality of the first SE Santana, and he thought it was Maryland made.
The SEs are even better now than when that first model was introduced.

I am still blown away when I play any of my SEs.

ooh you are in for a treat. As nice as my boys SE is my P22 is just in another league. Hard to explain but you will see when you get the 408. Just the whole feel of the instrument.

vchizzle
04-10-2013, 05:45 PM
This line is what stuck out for me:
"Making a guitar that has the possibility of magic."

Probably not the most interesting or ground breaking thing he said, but it's really what it all boils down to for me. I wouldn't play them, if I didn't feel that.

LindseyP
04-21-2013, 12:21 AM
I'm late to this party, but the article piqued my interest when I noticed PRSH dropped Rhonda Smith's name. She's one of my sheroes on bass.

thieves&foxes
04-22-2013, 03:48 AM
i like Paul. He can stay :)

boxstop7
04-23-2013, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the original post of this article, Shawn. I'm on the UG site every day, and I have no idea how I missed it. But it was an awesome read, and a lot of what Paul said just reinforces why I've wanted a PRSi for such a long time. The quality, the craftsmanship...but more than anything, it's the absolute love for it all that Paul displays at every turn. I've never met him, and I'm not nearly a talented enough or connected enough to get any real time with him, but it just blows me away how he's like a kid in a candy store...in his own company and factory! That, beyond anything else, is what I think separates PRS from every other major guitar company out there. Forget the quality and beauty...when they want to, Gibson, Fender, etc., can make some dang beautiful and high quality instruments. But NONE of those companies seem to have the passion, the love, and the excitement for it. They do it because at this point they're profit machines. Paul and PRS seem to do it because they love it, and the fact that they profit by it seems to almost be an afterthought.

I could gush four hours...and I know I'm peaching to the choir, and to people who are far more knowledgable than I am. I hope to learn from you guys like Paul did from Ted McCarty. So Shawn, thanks again for sharing this. I'll be passing it along to my friends!

rugerpc
04-23-2013, 11:17 AM
I just finished the article - one of the best, most informative interviews with PRSh I have read to date.

Then I read the comments below the article. What is wrong with people? Such bitterness and angst and anxiety.

Obi-Wan Kenobi got it wrong: “Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." It isn't Mos Eisley, he should have said "The Internet."

prscat33511
04-23-2013, 11:17 AM
Pardon my ingnance
PRSH
and the H stands for ...?
( himself?)

Dirty Bob
04-23-2013, 11:20 AM
Pardon my ingnance
PRSH
and the H stands for ...?
( himself?)

yep.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
04-23-2013, 11:37 AM
Someone post a pic of the PRS bucks.

Also... here's a link to other terms and/or acronyms we use on a regular bases:

http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?1044-The-PRS-Lexicon&highlight=lexicon

prscat33511
04-23-2013, 11:43 AM
A MIllion thanks !

-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ;68312']Someone post a pic of the PRS bucks.

Also... here's a link to other terms and/or acronyms we use on a regular bases:

http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?1044-The-PRS-Lexicon&highlight=lexicon

Rango
04-23-2013, 01:03 PM
Great Read! Thanks Shawn! :D

For me the decision came down to TRUST. Paul puts his name on it. He looks us in the eye and does his best...AND he's working to get better! And I think the folks at the shop do the same! ;)
Vintage is interesting and can be learned from but in the end the guitar is a TOOL. I'm tired of it HURTING to play a guitar because it's SHARP where it shouldn't be or weights too much. If I can have great tone, great "feel" and comfort - WHY NOT? :D AND they are beautiful on top of that! OUTSTANDING. :top:

Thank you PRSH. :beer:

rugerpc
04-25-2013, 08:23 AM
It's interviews like this that separate the men from the boyz...

David Grantham
05-16-2013, 12:48 AM
This is my favorite part. It so resonates as true from my experience as a player!
From the interview:

Can you address the production process for a guitar?

Four-hundred meticulous steps. No, cut that number down to over 200 meticulous steps. Which one do you want to know about?

What's the most complex step? Most demanding? Most critical?

Making a straight neck that plays in tune that stays straight a lifetime. Making a pickup that sounds beautiful; finishing the guitar; and setting it up. That's a long list; that's not fair. Making a guitar that has the possibility of magic.

thieves&foxes
05-16-2013, 01:51 AM
What sold me on PRS besides the fact that they are incredible guitars is when i briefley met Paul at Frankfurt Musiekmese a few years ago, is his passion for making guitars and his humbleness.