PDA

View Full Version : BM

Danerada
04-26-2012, 02:37 PM
I am a Bernie Marsden SE addict....that is all.

berto
04-26-2012, 03:06 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm a SC245 addict... but they don't make it no mo'...

So I'll keep my SC245 and play it like it's going out of style... wait, maybe it is out of style... oh poo.

tdarian
04-27-2012, 08:43 PM
I'm a big Bernie Marsden fan. Green & Blues is one of my favorite discs. I've heard very good things about that SE.

gag halfrunt
04-27-2012, 09:01 PM
I am a Bernie Marsden SE addict....that is all.
I dig Bernie Marsden, as well as the Bernie Marsden SE.

Not so much of a BM fan. :mrgreen:

AP515
04-28-2012, 04:53 AM
The Marsden SE really intreges me. I like the control layout and he makes it sound great. Here he is playing it on stage with JB. Takes nads to play an SE on stage with a 59 LP but he pulls it off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYyCA083Guc

blind radish
04-28-2012, 06:32 AM
This thread needs pix ....

http://www.duchane.com/guitars/bm.jpg

Danerada
04-28-2012, 08:43 AM
Nice pic Radish!

Bernie is one of the coolest guys PRS has signed. I got to play his SE at the Experience last year. I was one of the drivers and while driving him around we got to talking about his SE. After one of his sets I was back stage when he came off and he handed me his guitar to play. It was a pretty cool experience for me. I don't usually "jock sniff", but Bernie was really cool and really nice...so I bought one of his models as soon as they arrived in the US. I have not been disappointed. Great sounding pickups, easy to play and I dig the control layout. I love everything about it.

blind radish
04-28-2012, 09:04 AM
I am loving my Bernie!

Still putting it through the paces. It feels very alive acoustically. Still working to find the sweet spot plugged in.

Suggestions???

Danerada
04-28-2012, 09:18 AM
I am loving my Bernie!

Still putting it through the paces. It feels very alive acoustically. Still working to find the sweet spot plugged in.

Suggestions???

What amp are you using? I think as far as the guitar controls go, the guitar sounds best with the volume wide open. I mess with the tone knob a but, but not much.

I use a POD HD500 through a DT-25. I have found that the Bernie sounds best through Marshall JTM45 patch.

blind radish
04-28-2012, 10:01 AM
I use a bugera v22 with an EQ and a OCD ....in one of the vids I saw Bernie go straight into the amp (dunno type) no effcts, and he had the sweetest singing sustain.

Danerada
04-28-2012, 10:22 AM
Yeah he goes straight in....The amp can make all the difference.

I would play around with the gain on the amp. Have you tried cranking it and using the Master volume to control the output?

blind radish
04-29-2012, 07:13 AM
I went direct into my Blues Junior last night ... gain on 9 volume on 5 .... pretty much tickled my tone bone :D

Mikegarveyblues
04-29-2012, 09:10 PM
Another Bernie lover here!!!

Only negative about that guitar was the nut which I had replaced. Going to experiment with new pups soon, though the neck pup on the BM is sweet!

Anyhoo... Here's mine:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7153/6665568745_4bfe91f03a_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7016/6665686989_47df2f0ace_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7003/6665654221_d8ea61aec6_b.jpg

Danerada
04-30-2012, 07:07 AM
I agree with the nut replacement. I replaced mine with a Tusq nut. Very noticable difference. I also replaced teh bridge pup with a 5909, but the neck pup sounds really really good. I modded the volume of the neck pup for consistency through the volume sweep also...another vast improvement.

blind radish
05-05-2012, 10:02 AM
Any body notice how when you roll off either volume knob, from full volume, there seems to be a subtle but noticeable volume dip .. almost feels like a detent ....

It's not a bad thing, but I wonder if this is an expected feature on how the electronics work

sergiodeblanc
05-05-2012, 02:16 PM
It certainly is an attractive guitar.

andy474x
05-05-2012, 07:20 PM
There are some nice looking guitars in this thread! What's different about these and the SE 245? I see some neck binding and obviously 1 less tone pot, is there a different neck carve?

Mikegarveyblues
05-06-2012, 04:17 PM
There are some nice looking guitars in this thread! What's different about these and the SE 245? I see some neck binding and obviously 1 less tone pot, is there a different neck carve?

A bit... The neck on the Bernie is somewhat based on the neck of his famous '59 burst called 'The Beast'. It certainly felt chunkier than the 245. I mentioned it being quite chunky in my demo but I know someone was slightly disappointed by that as I think they where after a baseball bat.

The other main difference are the tuning pegs. The ones on the Bernie are the vintage style grommet tuners.

Hope you guys don't mind if I drop my demo vid in here: :roll:

[youtube:1bxt8j25]lT7sRliRHH8[/youtube:1bxt8j25]

tdarian
05-06-2012, 05:00 PM
I was wondering on the neck size, and this is not the first anecdotal field repoert that the neck felt larger than a 245. I think the PRS website spec might still be the "Wide/Fat", but anything erring on the larger end of a W/F would be be cool in my book. I'm always ranting about that stuff. Thanks for the info.

blind radish
05-06-2012, 06:11 PM
the neck is nowhere near a gibby 50s neck ... but it's "toothsome" in the hand

am i wrong?

Mikegarveyblues
05-08-2012, 03:41 AM
I've certainly had necks that are deeper... I could happily go a touch deeper on the neck as i'm finding I prefer a more chunky neck these days for whatever reason...

Here's a quote from Bernie regarding the neck:

"It's a pretty thick, chunky neck. It's based on a guitar I used to use called 'The Beast' which many of you will be familiar with. So it's quite deep... It isn't super deep, but you know you've got your hand around it once you get used to it."

Probably one of the most comfortable necks i've played on... Maybe would have liked the frets to be a bit taller. Bending and vibrato are a dream on it though!

CantankerousCarl
05-11-2012, 04:31 PM
So aside from the neck, are the pups and body thickness the same as the SE245?

captdg
10-14-2012, 08:38 PM
I just purchased a PRS Bernie Marsed and I love it.. Is there an online owners manual? I did not get one in the shipment (I am a novice going through "Mid Life" didnt have the money when I was young HA!) have a Vox Valvetronix love it and a Slash Crybaby( not very much). My other question is How do I get a "Squeal" sound? Do I need different pickups? My Vox has a a ton of effects, and I understand a squeal has to do with the picking attack. Playing with Ernie balls extra Slinkys.. I really dont know much, but would like to hear from the people that do.

Thanks!!!

WEDGE
10-14-2012, 09:19 PM
I liked the BM I tried at the Experience but the frets seemed tiny after playing a DGT.

Michael B
10-15-2012, 05:50 AM
Bernie said at the Experience that a USA model is in the works.....

Boogie
10-15-2012, 07:15 AM
How do I get a "Squeal" sound? Do I need different pickups? My Vox has a a ton of effects, and I understand a squeal has to do with the picking attack.
"Squeals" typically come from two sources, pinch harmonics or feedback. Players like Billy Gibbons or Zak Wylde make pinch harmonics a signature to many of their riffs. Google 'pinch harmonics' for a bazillion tutorials. Feedback generally occurs when the output from your amp's speaker energizes the guitar/pickups, causing them to resonate at high frequencies (how was that for my best Em7 impression? :p). Just turn the amp up high, walk up in front of it and let nature take its course. :cool:

Lots of other noise techniques exist, but these are the most well known. You might want to start another thread to keep from hijacking this one too much. ;)

Mikegarveyblues
10-15-2012, 07:22 AM
Bernie said at the Experience that a USA model is in the works.....

http://www.pcs.org/assets/uploads/shocked_face.jpg

Seriously???

Anyone knoiw any legal get rich quick schemes?!?!

Mikegarveyblues
10-15-2012, 08:27 AM
I liked the BM I tried at the Experience but the frets seemed tiny after playing a DGT.

Yeah, the frets are surprisingly small. Not causing me issues now but I know once they get to a point they'd normally need levelling and crowned i'll wind up having them pulled and replaced with something a little more meaty.