PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite instrument cable?

slev
04-26-2012, 05:54 PM
I've tried a bunch, using monster right now but looking to try something new. I'm not looking to break the bank but I'd like to find something I can count on. Let me know what you're using.

aduayer
04-26-2012, 07:53 PM
I used to have a few Monster, but I think they are too stiff/hard (excuse my English, don't know if this is the right expression). Then I was using PLanet Waves one until the guy I work for got some from PRS. I really like them. They really stand to the road and sounds really awesome, so I got a pair for my rig too.
I think you should at least check them.

Boogie
04-26-2012, 07:56 PM
I just took delivery on 3 custom cables by Tour Pro Cables (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tour-Pro-Cables/135082179935450). Greg is a cable guru and is absolutely obsessed with materials and assembly technique. Mine are Canare GS-6 cable with Neutrik X-series connectors. Prices are VERY reasonable so if you're used to paying Monster prices, you'll be very surprised. Plus, he turned my order around in a couple of days...even with a connector backorder problem. I gig this stuff weekly and highly recommend you give Greg's offering a look.

dmatthews
04-26-2012, 08:22 PM
Not wanting to derail, but have you considered wireless at all?
I went that route 7 years ago and used the same rig for every practice and gig. Cables just pee me off...
I respect a good cable choice though. Wireless is not for everyone I guess.
Be cool brothers...
8-)

nac
04-26-2012, 08:27 PM
Mogami

slev
04-26-2012, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Not quite ready to make the jump to wireless but +1 on the feeling about cables in general. Have to check out the Tour Pros and PRS quality speaks for itself. Paul doesn't put his name just any junk. Someone I know suggested ProCo haven't tried those anyone have any experience with them.

tdarian
04-26-2012, 08:48 PM
I expect cables to work and last ("quality"). I also tend to like cables that are easy to work with physically and fall within a certain range of capacitance ("tone"). For a 10-12 foot run I like something in the 26 - 29 pf/ft and lower that value a touch for longer runs. Since the information is readilly available from them, I typically look at the stuff on the LAVA cable site, both their house stuff and the brands they carry. There are some good resources on their site for comparisons, although I would not get too hung up on their "rankings"...everything there is good.

Does anyone know the capacitance relativity on the PRS cables? I've heard good things about them, but I've got miles of wire already around here.

wilerty
04-26-2012, 09:45 PM
Helloooooo ... You should try a PRS cable. They are great and VERY flexable.

themike
04-26-2012, 09:54 PM
Helloooooo ... You should try a PRS cable. They are great and VERY flexable.

I was planning on it. My rig is completely wired up with Monster Cables. The product is decent, but as a company, I dont like them.

Serious Poo
04-26-2012, 11:08 PM
I'm really diggin my Planet Waves cables. They sound good, don't get all twisted up, and have momentary switches at the end that let you change guitars without having to turn down your amp.

Shawn@PRS
04-27-2012, 10:41 AM
PRS does offer instrument, speaker and patch cables. Our cables are made for us in the UK by a company called Van Damme. They are a big player in the recording and live music industry. In fact Van Damme recently re-wired Abbey Road Studio B (the Beatles studio) and David Gilmore’s personal floating studio on the Thames with the exact same wire they supply for our cables.

Now I could try to impress you with information about double-annealed oxygen free copper and silver-plated elements, but I’d prefer to let your ears guide you. If both Gilmore and Paul Smith think these are the best sounding cables in the business, I think we may be on to something.

hippietim
04-27-2012, 10:57 AM
Lately I've been using a few different types of Lava Cables. Clear Connects and Blue Demons.

I also use some Evidence cables - a few I made, a few I bought.

I use Planet Waves solderless cables for my pedalboard.

StevieC
04-27-2012, 12:30 PM
PRS does offer instrument, speaker and patch cables. Our cables are made for us in the UK by a company called Van Damme. They are a big player in the recording and live music industry. In fact Van Damme recently re-wired Abbey Road Studio B (the Beatles studio) and David Gilmore’s personal floating studio on the Thames with the exact same wire they supply for our cables.

Now I could try to impress you with information about double-annealed oxygen free copper and silver-plated elements, but I’d prefer to let your ears guide you. If both Gilmore and Paul Smith think these are the best sounding cables in the business, I think we may be on to something.

Shawn, I'm due for a couple of new cables..... what's the capacitence rating on the PRS cables?

Ke3ee
04-27-2012, 12:42 PM
Time to try one, Just called Jack Gretz and ordered one.

The Ratchet
04-27-2012, 12:58 PM
+1 on Mogami.

Specifically the Mogami Platinum Guitar Cable. Kind of on the ludicrous expensive side as guitar cables go, but there is a difference that can be heard. It just has a bit more 'air' on top, more open somehow.

Years back when I had a full-on studio, Mogami actually sent us one for testing and we did a shoot out between that George L, and Monster, and like 5 other cables. The Mogami won out.

However, strangely, this extra bit of 'vibe' or whatever you want to call it, was very very difficult to record, but easy to hear/feel if you had the guitar in your hands. We kicked it up to 192k in ProTools (using 192 i/o clocked by an Apogee Big Ben) and you had to strain to hear it. Spent a lot time with different mics/pres everything and it always easier to hear it in the room and especially playing it.

So the conclusion was that spending the extra $$ was more from a player standpoint to get that little extra 'mojo' than it was anything that made a mega difference if you were gonna lay down some tracks.

(Also of note, this was before the advent / proliferation of PRS cables, and Lava, etc. so I'm interested to give these a whirl against the Mogami.)

aduayer
04-27-2012, 01:07 PM
I don't know anything about tech stuff when it comes to cables, but those that PRS have are flexible, sounds amazing and do survive to the road. Couldn't be happier.

Shawn@PRS
04-27-2012, 01:13 PM

Shawn, I'm due for a couple of new cables..... what's the capacitence rating on the PRS cables?

Hey Stevie - Our cables capacitance is pF/m <90

tdarian
04-27-2012, 01:21 PM
That's right in my ideal "sweet spot". Thanks Shawn.

pontaeri
04-27-2012, 02:24 PM
I used to think cables were just cables.

Then I saw Mogami Plats had lifetime warranty, you can roll into any GC and show it and they'd replace it. So I decided to check it out. The sound clarity is amazing. Wow. Cable does affect tone.

My friend who's into Heritage Guits . . . he's a big proponent of 'Why buy a 2K rocking guitar when you spend $10 on junk cable that doesn't do the guitar justice.' Like a silver spoon on a paper plate kinda thing . . .

He introduces me to a stiff cable called Lyric HG. I hate it, because it gets too much of the sound. It's gets everything. Even the feedback from your body's magnetic field if you plug one end into the amp and touch the the other end with your fingertips.

Yes it brings out the classic Tele un shieldedness (even though its grounded ) until you touch the strings . . .

The clarity makes the Mogami Platinum seem distant. Don't get me wrong. The Mogami Platinum is a great cable. I'd gig with it. It'd be my number one choice. The Mogami is great because it carries the guitar but not too much detail . . .

But the Lyric HG gets the little inflections my fingernails make on the strings. The Lyric HG forces me to dampen strings on my MIM P bass. Every detail of my wack arse playing and weaksauce that I am is shown in the Lyric HG. The Lyric HG gets every fret squeak and the "sitar" effect when I'm not playing right. But man on my friend's Heritage LP clone, how can it be, that that the clone sounds better than the master mold?

They make those Lyric HG's too good. They capture everything.

Dan Desy
04-27-2012, 02:31 PM
My favorite cable is whichever one currently connects my guitar to my rig. ;)

Cave71
04-27-2012, 02:53 PM
Currently I use Klotz Kabels (German). A friend gave me some a few years ago and I like them. Good, high quality stuff. Haven't had the opportunity (or the need) to try anything else out recently.

Boogie
04-27-2012, 04:09 PM
What connectors are the PRS cables sporting?

Ultimately, my key concern is the highest quality cable/connectors/assembly without paying for a name. The Mogami product is nice. Very nice, but you're paying for the name. George L's is the same way (my entire pedal board is done in George L's and love them). I also despise thick, stiff cables for going from the guitar and to the amp, which is why I prefer Canare. And considering that I have about 70' of cable in all, it has to be electrically superior. Add to that the amazing price of WAY less than $2/foot. With Neutrik X connectors.

LSchefman
04-27-2012, 04:34 PM
+1 on Mogami.

Specifically the Mogami Platinum Guitar Cable. Kind of on the ludicrous expensive side as guitar cables go, but there is a difference that can be heard. It just has a bit more 'air' on top, more open somehow.

Years back when I had a full-on studio, Mogami actually sent us one for testing and we did a shoot out between that George L, and Monster, and like 5 other cables. The Mogami won out.

However, strangely, this extra bit of 'vibe' or whatever you want to call it, was very very difficult to record, but easy to hear/feel if you had the guitar in your hands. We kicked it up to 192k in ProTools (using 192 i/o clocked by an Apogee Big Ben) and you had to strain to hear it. Spent a lot time with different mics/pres everything and it always easier to hear it in the room and especially playing it.

So the conclusion was that spending the extra $$ was more from a player standpoint to get that little extra 'mojo' than it was anything that made a mega difference if you were gonna lay down some tracks.

(Also of note, this was before the advent / proliferation of PRS cables, and Lava, etc. so I'm interested to give these a whirl against the Mogami.)

Great post, and I agree completely.

My studio has been wired with Mogami for 20 years. Equipment, patchbays, instrument cables, mic cables.

For one thing, it sounds great, and it's also very flexible, especially the multipair snakes where you're running 8 or 16 channels in one cable. In that 20 year period, not one cable has gone bad. I know Ratchet has owned a large studio as well, and let's face it, when you're routing cables to and from 5-10 patchbays, you really don't want to be crawling around underneath your console or bay tracking down a bad wire. Everything's just gotta work.

So when Mogami came out with these pre-made guitar cables, I naturally wanted to try them, and I agree with the comments previously made by Ratchet.

However, that doesn't mean I won't try out the PRS cables and some of the other stuff out there. Just haven't gotten around to it yet!

There was a comment someone made above that with Mogami you're paying for a name. Well, not really; they are among the most flexible studio cables, they did pioneer some of the cable advances that other makers use, and they are one of the studio standards for a good reason. In fact, you can buy Mogami in bulk at very reasonable prices. If you have ever sat around trying to wire 500 patchbay channels with another cable, you would be very, very happy that you went with Mogami. Even the labeling on their multipair cables is brilliant.

Mogami is a company that earned that name recognition.

Shawn@PRS
04-27-2012, 04:41 PM
PRS cable use Nuetrik jacks. We have regular and silent jacks, straight or right angle. They are probably the most tangle-free cables on the market

Boogie
04-27-2012, 04:56 PM
For studio applications, especially low traffic areas, you are absolutely right. But since we're talking about guitar/instrument cables, IMO, the market is flooded with premium priced, pre-terminated cables. And yes, you're right about buying it in bulk and saving money, which is why I have my cables custom made. But the average guitarist is looking for reasonably priced, high quality cables for their rig, and $150 for 18' is not reasonable. Especially if you gig constantly and beat your cables up. There are cable brands that compete very well with Mogami for guitar applications, for much less $$$. PRS Is one.

Mogami, thoughvery good, earned their reputation for quality, not for value.

gearhead
04-27-2012, 04:58 PM
I've been using Pro Cables N Sound (http://www.greatcables.us/)cables for a couple of years now and am very happy with them. Also use a few Lava cables, great stuff, and Mark is a great guy.

I haven't seen or heard of PRS cables, but I will have to hunt one down and give it a try. Thanks for the heads up on these.

berto
04-27-2012, 05:11 PM
Lava... LOVE THEM

They made a noticeable difference in my tone. Totally worth the extra $15 over other high end cables.

John Beef
04-27-2012, 05:53 PM
I had one for many years that I loved, had it so long that I forgot what brand it was. Then I was unpacking after a show and it wasn't in my equipment box. Damn! It sounded great and never, ever tangled. To make matters worse, the shop that carried them no longer exists.

So, I started looking for a new one, picked up a Fulltone 15 footer. So far so good, it's only been a few weeks, no gigs yet.

justmund
04-30-2012, 01:53 AM
Well thanks to you enablers I just ordered 4 x 18ft PRS cables (because I use the 4CM with m7 Line 6 HD500).

It does make we wonder about the tone suck from the Line 6, and also the effect of using HQ cables in the effects loop of the amp, considering it's post-preamp...

Anyone?

John Price
04-30-2012, 08:28 AM
Sommer Cable Grindycop Beast!

I also love the DiMarzio Cables.

Danerada
04-30-2012, 08:48 AM
I use ProCo cables. I do use PRS Speaker cables though when using my Frenzel....

Blackbird
04-30-2012, 09:04 AM

I also love the DiMarzio Cables.
+1 for DiMarzio

EricZ
04-30-2012, 09:05 AM
Lately I've been using a few different types of Lava Cables. Clear Connects and Blue Demons.

I'll second the Evidence cables. Some can be pretty stiff so read the reviews to see what you can work with best.

hippietim
04-30-2012, 11:08 AM

I'll second the Evidence cables. Some can be pretty stiff so read the reviews to see what you can work with best.

I have some of the green ones (Lyric) and some blue ones (Melody). I got the Lyric's from a store that was not going to carry them anymore (they weren't selling) - so I got mine for less than half the going rate. The Melody's are all made by me so it was just the cost per foot for the cable which wasn't too bad.

I wouldn't by the Evidence stuff again. The green cables are far too stiff - just a PITA really. The Melody's are fine but not really worth it IMO.

If you're making your own cables I think Mogami is the way to go - very easy to strip and solder. Stuff like the Canare cable that has the interwoven shield is a hassle to deal with.

justmund
04-30-2012, 07:09 PM
Courier just dropped off my PRS cables, I must say I'm impressed with the quality (as if anything with PRS written on it wouldn't be quality!), the cable feels nice and slinky and opening up one of the connectors reveals some very tidy cable finishing and soldering.

Looking forward to going home and A-Bing these babies, I reckon I'll use an A-B box, PRS cable common, A - PRS cable to amp, B - standard cable to amp. Roll on 4pm...

crgtr
04-30-2012, 08:15 PM
RED Curley Bullet Cable!!!!!

Brian Catron
05-01-2012, 03:02 PM
I am sure this is a silly question for most of you, but when using any sort of pedal board don't you lose some or all the benefit of fine cables unless every cable and connection is of the highest quality? What about the circuitry effect within any stompboxes? I have only seen Paul play through a single cable straight into the amp.

LSchefman
05-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Courier just dropped off my PRS cables, I must say I'm impressed with the quality (as if anything with PRS written on it wouldn't be quality!), the cable feels nice and slinky and opening up one of the connectors reveals some very tidy cable finishing and soldering.

Looking forward to going home and A-Bing these babies, I reckon I'll use an A-B box, PRS cable common, A - PRS cable to amp, B - standard cable to amp. Roll on 4pm...

The A-B Box is fairly likely to eliminate some or all of the differences between the cables, since it adds its own resistance and capacitance. I'd simply do one at a time.

slev
05-01-2012, 07:17 PM
I use ProCo cables. I do use PRS Speaker cables though when using my Frenzel....

Which ProCo and how do you like them?

Jet Whitey
05-01-2012, 07:31 PM
PRS and Quantum for instrument cables.....Solid Cables for speaker cables. 400+ shows and not a failure!

francric
05-01-2012, 08:42 PM
So are all the PRS cables available in the PRS store or better to go through a dealer?

Boogie
05-01-2012, 09:06 PM
I am sure this is a silly question for most of you, but when using any sort of pedal board don't you lose some or all the benefit of fine cables unless every cable and connection is of the highest quality? What about the circuitry effect within any stompboxes? I have only seen Paul play through a single cable straight into the amp.

Yep. Don't skimp on the pedalboard cables. I use George L's for that very reason. As for signal degradation at the pedal, you have to choose effects wisely. ;)

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
05-02-2012, 12:33 AM

Yep. Don't skimp on the pedalboard cables. I use George L's for that very reason. As for signal degradation at the pedal, you have to choose effects wisely. ;)
Why choose at all? :lol:

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd272/hansomatic/Discussion/PedalBoard.jpg

Hopeful Sinner
05-02-2012, 12:40 AM

Dude, that pedal-board is totally boss...

justmund
05-02-2012, 01:46 AM
The A-B Box is fairly likely to eliminate some or all of the differences between the cables, since it adds its own resistance and capacitance. I'd simply do one at a time.

and of course I had a brain fade, where exactly was I going to plug the second cable into...?

To be honest I couldn't spot the difference, and I don't think I would be able to without recording takes and playing them one after the other, repeatedly. I didn't use crap before so I guess it's not surprising I couldn't pick the difference, especially with a large gap between unplugging/plugging back in

I'm happy that the cable is slinky and the connectors/construction is top notch. I have a weekend of gigs coming up so will be a good chance to give them (and the CU22 Soapy) a work out!

tdarian
05-02-2012, 02:08 AM

Why choose at all? :lol:

Boss Klones.

Dan-d-1985
05-02-2012, 03:19 AM

Signal is only as strong as the weakest link. I've seen guys rock up at a gig with bigassed pedal boards, PRS, mesa and cheap £2 patch cables for the board. I was like WTF?? :o

I was like that once too and I replaced all my patch cables with neutriks and van damme cable. The improvement was to me noticeable (and I have hearing aids!). That's why i've started to make all my own cables using van damme and neutriks. My main guitar lead also has a neutrik silent on it as I tend to switch guitars in sets as I can't stay away from weird tunings....

You know, i'm pretty sure that board is how the train the cast of riverdance..... :lol:

Blackbear
05-02-2012, 07:09 AM
Used George L's for years, great cable, still use it on my pedal board. Recently, I have bought several PRS cables and I like them because they have a nice pure tone to them, just the right amount of highs and lows and they are quiet. Never tried the Lava or other high end cables but you can tell a difference if you plug a well made cable straight into a amp, the first time I tried the George L's I was amazed at the clarity of my pickups and the definition the notes conveyed.

CantankerousCarl
05-03-2012, 05:58 PM
Anyone try Asterope? Saw a video with Dave Grissom, looks like he formally endorses them.

$179 for a 20' cable does indeed rank as pricey...but if they're that good...

sergiodeblanc
05-03-2012, 07:02 PM
My favorite cable I have is the one that has, "Stolen from the Bottletones" printed on it.
I am not, and never was, in the Bottletones.

vchizzle
05-05-2012, 11:29 AM
Pretty much make all my own using Canare gs-6 or mini gs-6. Been doing this for about 10 years just so I can make my cable runs to the length they need to be. I've been meaning to make a few mogami to see if I can hear any difference. I may buy a PRS cable just to check it out. I would guess Paul and Dave's ears are pretty trust worthy, but, cables are just like everything else guitar....all a matter of taste.

Mikegarveyblues
05-06-2012, 04:48 PM

Gilmour and Paul know their suff so if they put there names to Van Damme then i'd certainly give them a try once I get back to playing live.

Got to give a thumbs up to Planet Waves Custom Series cables. Very reasonably priced and haven't let me down in the 4 years i've owned them!

Ke3ee
05-07-2012, 01:43 PM
I received my PRS guitar cable today from NE Music center. It is one of the most flexible cables Ive ever seen. Top quality Neutrik connectors used. I played for only 5 minutes and yes it sounds good... but honestly I'm one that cant really hear any difference between good cables. I have a couple of good quality cables of different brands and the PRS is the most flexible and seems to be the thinest. The only addtional I would like is PRS to offer Neutrik silent connectors to.

Shawn@PRS
05-07-2012, 02:03 PM
The only addtional I would like is PRS to offer Neutrik silent connectors to.

Hi Ke3ee, PRS Cables are available with either silent or standard connectors in either straight or right angle.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/gitfukintar/connectors.jpg

OsirisProtocol
05-07-2012, 02:07 PM
The only addtional I would like is PRS to offer Neutrik silent connectors to.

PRS already offers their cables with silent jacks.

That being said I am currently in three camps with my cable choices. I now use Armor Gold, Fulltone and PRS/Van Damme cables live, home and in the studio. They all sound good to my ears granted I never actually tested them all out against each other. That being said in live situations I tend to lean towards my AG cable on a darker stage that I know people will be moving around a lot on. It's easier to see in low light situations so people don't go yanking cables out of guitars and amps when scurrying by. On a stage where there is a bit more light or I know I will be switching guitars often I use my PRS/Van Damme cable since it has the silent jack and I don't have to worry about hitting my tuner every time I swap out guitars.

Ke3ee
05-07-2012, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the info Shawn, next one will have the silent connectors

RickO
05-07-2012, 06:47 PM
Canare GS-6 with Neutrik connectors are great bang-for-the-buck cables.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©
05-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Someone educate me about silent jack's please.

Shawn@PRS
05-07-2012, 07:02 PM
The little silver tab gets pushed in as you plug the connector into your guitars jack. The tab makes connection and allows signal to travel to the amp head. Once you remove the connector and that silver tabs springs back to the normal position, the signal is cut off and no humming, crackling or popping will come from the cable or amp

Ke3ee
05-07-2012, 07:43 PM
I made a couple of cables using the silent connectors last fall, they work outstanding. A bit expensive at around $12 each but well worth it.

Ke3ee
05-07-2012, 07:45 PM
I played for a bit tonight, same guitar, same amp but changed cables. They all seemed to sound the same but the PRS was a bit more noisey. It was def. a bit more subseptable to the CFL bulbs in my living room.

Brian
05-15-2012, 02:08 AM
That's just insane. Seriously insane.

Ampguy
06-10-2012, 10:03 AM
I have a cable from Klotz called the Matthis Jabs Signature Rockmaster, which is 30' long. I need this length to be reach the opposite side of my studio. This is amazing cable. It sounds better than any other cable that I've tried, even shorter cables. I recently had a friend over to jam and I switched his guitar from the Klotz cable to a more common brand 20' and he yelled, what did you do to my sound! We then evaluated all of my guitar cords (about 25 different), mostlly 18' to 20', against the Klotz cable and were simply amazed! The Klotz was so much better sounding, it was almost hard to believe. They are not cheap - over $3 a foot. But step back and think about it - why hook your $3K to $10K PRS (or other) to a $1K to $4K amplifier with a $25 cord?????? It is the only connection between you and your amp. It ludicrous!

cosmic_ape
06-11-2012, 12:34 AM
Hi Ke3ee, PRS Cables are available with either silent or standard connectors in either straight or right angle.

Is this cable available? It's not on the website...

OsirisProtocol
06-11-2012, 12:50 AM
The cable is available from a number of PRS authorized retailers. Not sure if there are rules about posting links so I'll have to refer you to Google. I'm guessing that the cable isn't currently on the PRS webstore because they are out of stock but you can check in with Shawn for details.

lucidology
06-11-2012, 04:27 AM

Yep ... there's no turning back when you experience a Grindycop Beast ...
Have spent a lot on boutique cables over the years and these beat everything else by miles ...

Proxmax
06-11-2012, 12:14 PM
what about VOVOX?

veinbuster
06-11-2012, 04:03 PM
I've been quite pleased with the CoreX cables my wife gave me to use with acoustics.
I haven't used them with a electric yet.

QueenCityGuitars
06-12-2012, 08:47 AM
I also use Mogami instrument cables, think they sound pretty good, and have had good luck with them.

bluefade
06-17-2012, 11:21 PM
George L's....cut them to any length...no soldering needed...clear sound...now,that works,eh!!!!!!!!!!

Richard Lainegard
06-18-2012, 01:24 AM
Solid Cables here

Sherpa
06-18-2012, 11:48 AM
I've been using a 5m Cordial with Neutrik plugs (one silent jack, one normal) for the last 5 years or so, and it has worked flawlessly. The PRS cable looks interesting, but is very expensive over at the Thomanns website €120+!!), especially when compared to what appears to be the equivalent cable from Van Damme, as shown at amazon.co.uk.

Any idea whether these are indeed the same cables?

kingsleyd
06-18-2012, 12:53 PM
When I first got an Evidence Lyric HG cable, I did an A/B with a bunch of other cables I had in the house - George L's, Spectraflex, and a few others. It definitely sounded different/better to me, which kinda bummed me out 'cos I didn't want to buy a bunch of expensive cables, moreover the lack of flexibility is a PITA at the guitar end of the chain. Other Evidence models have since fixed that issue; I still use the HGs to go from my pedalboard (when I use one; that's a whole 'nother tone-sucking adventure that I have yet to completely solve) to my amp.

Anyway, since I've learned to trust my own ears/judgement only up to a point, I dragged my GF up to my studio and subjected her to blind A/B/C/D cable testing. She identified the different cables with 100% accuracy.

Which tells me 2 things: 1) cables DO make a difference; try different ones and listen -- depending on what your rig is and what you want to hear, you will likely prefer a different cable than I do -- and 2) if you want critical listening, grab your GF/wife, 'cos in all likelihood, her hearing is better than yours. (unless of course she's listened to and played LOUD ELECTRIC MUSIC as much as you have!)

crgtr
06-18-2012, 06:14 PM
I use a red Bullet curly cable to my board, some dimarzio tweed patch cables on board & EVH cable back to Dallas.

prsrocker1988
06-24-2012, 01:10 AM
Monster Rock in Gold.

I used to have cables die on me left and right - no cable would last more than I week. I tried 'em all. I won't list brands but you can name 'em and I've tried 'em. Monsters are the only ones that last and have lasted me 2 years now and they have a lifetime warranty. But prior to the Monsters I was breaking cables left and right. I think having the big diameter cable and sturdy connectors helps keep me from breaking them. I had to find the same thing for my earbud headphones. Don't know why but for some reason I break them. I'm not that rough on them - it's just with me it seems cables are prone to breaking.

Also the tone of the Monsters I noticed was clearer than what I had used in the past.

SFactor123
07-16-2012, 06:35 AM
I use some Evidence cables and yes PRS cables also..........

CoreyT
07-16-2012, 06:43 AM
I am using Mogami Gold for the pedal patch cords, and also three guitar cables.
Expensive, but they are very quiet.

tabl10s
09-08-2012, 02:20 AM
I've tried a bunch, using monster right now but looking to try something new. I'm not looking to break the bank but I'd like to find something I can count on. Let me know what you're using.

Analysis Plus is what I'm gunning for(the second from the top cable).

CoreyT
09-08-2012, 07:10 AM
I have all Mogami pedal patch cords, and also three of their straight and angle instrument cords.
For as much as they were, I wish they had the silent thing on them.
Never knew cables could have that until I got a "free" one in my Thank You kit for buying my SE Santana.
It is a very nice cable too.

I also have one Planet Waves American Stage cable that makes the click when you insert it.
It seems to be a good cable too.

All of them are better than the noisy cables I used as a youth in the 70s.

Crap, just saw I had posted in this thread a few months back :D

garrett
09-08-2012, 01:58 PM
I gotta put in a good word for Bill Lawrence cables. 20 pf/ft. They sound fantastic. Very nice cables and plugs and about half the price of George L's.

LSchefman
09-08-2012, 04:05 PM

I've been using Mogami for years, but want to try some of the PRS/Van Dammes. I'll have to order some, one can never have to many cables anyway.

Well, unless you have all the cables from five 96 point patch bays left over from your former studio installation... ;)

Rango
09-09-2012, 11:30 AM

Those connectors are wonderful. If you like to swap off guitars? Priceless - never have that big POP because you forgot to step on the volume pedal or go standby! I had one on a 60' Mogami demo cable and I still miss it! yes 60' - it was built because our Bass player couldn't get though a gig without his wireless going out and he'd yank anything shorter out in the first 5 minutes! ;) Funny thing is 5 years later, i went to see him play with another band - wireless died during the set while I was there! Some things never change... ;)

Monster Rock in Gold.

I used to have cables die on me left and right - no cable would last more than I week. I tried 'em all. I won't list brands but you can name 'em and I've tried 'em. Monsters are the only ones that last and have lasted me 2 years now and they have a lifetime warranty. But prior to the Monsters I was breaking cables left and right. I think having the big diameter cable and sturdy connectors helps keep me from breaking them. I had to find the same thing for my earbud headphones. Don't know why but for some reason I break them. I'm not that rough on them - it's just with me it seems cables are prone to breaking.

Also the tone of the Monsters I noticed was clearer than what I had used in the past.

I have one of the GOLD ROCK MONSTER - only cable I've not killed. Lifetime warranty - yes - but the best part is not having to USE the warranty! The cable is stiff..

I like connectors above so when GC came out with the new Live Wire Elite with a SIMILAR connector - I bought one - I'm now on NUMBER 3. Didn't cost me but it's still a PITA to have to exchange them. ;)

worship_player
09-13-2012, 11:18 PM
I am so digging the 'George L' cables right now.

slowro
09-14-2012, 10:07 AM
I'm using monster cable too, its well built but its not the most mind blowing purchase. I just got fed up with cheap cables