PDA

View Full Version : Those with 5708's and 5909's...

vchizzle
04-29-2012, 10:43 AM
Do you find the 09's hotter and/or more aggressive than your 08's? Have 08's in my stripper and switched the bridge pickup out to the 09. I'm not really sure that it's much hotter. FWIW both my bridge pickups measure about the same(around 8.74 if I remember right). I like both of these pickups a lot but I was hoping for a bit more "heat" than I'm getting from the bridge 5909. I may have just got one that ended up on the more vintage side.

11top
04-29-2012, 11:04 AM
59/09s have more sustain.

Faded
04-29-2012, 11:10 AM
I like both, but the 57/08's do sound a bit warmer and rounder than the 59/09's in my LTD. The 59/09's remind me of a really good set of DGT pickups, very open and clear with great sustain. Two different sets for different applications

that_brianm_guy
04-29-2012, 12:33 PM
I've got a 57/08 in the bridge of my McCarty, and a 59/09 in the neck. The "warmer, rounder" in the bridge, the "clearer, brighter" in the neck balances out very nicely. The coil-split tones hold their own against a DGT. (Martysnarf and I got together, did some A/B comparisions.)

I'd recommend this pairing to anyone... contemplating sending my SC to the PTC for some new pickups :)

vchizzle
04-29-2012, 10:43 PM
I've got a 57/08 in the bridge of my McCarty, and a 59/09 in the neck. The "warmer, rounder" in the bridge, the "clearer, brighter" in the neck balances out very nicely. The coil-split tones hold their own against a DGT. (Martysnarf and I got together, did some A/B comparisions.)

I'd recommend this pairing to anyone... contemplating sending my SC to the PTC for some new pickups :)
I really love the 5708 neck, I haven't even dropped 5909 neck in anything yet.

Dirty Bob
04-30-2012, 10:09 AM
I think it depends on which version of the 57/08's we're talking about...correct me if I'm wrong Shawn but in our conversation you mentioned 4 different versions. My first set of 57/08's in my Ted are about as aggressive and bright as you can get with a vintage pickup...and I love them....my other sets vary...still great just different flavors.

my experience with 59/09's are similar to Steve's...they tend to be a bit more compressed and have more sustain...they sing a bit more and I find them to be smoother...however all of the verisons of 57/08's I have experienced have been very articulate...I tend to think of 57/08's as having a bit more grunt to their voice (probably because I dig in a bit more) as opposed to the smoothness of the 09's...

don't forget about the sonic contribution of the guitar too.

You may want to play around a bit more with Pup height too before making a final decision.

I love all of the different versions...the 53/10's kill too.