PDA

View Full Version : New Alex Lifeson PRS model?!?!

TFC
11-18-2013, 01:04 PM
I just read this passage in an Alex Lifeson interview on Billboard's website: http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/5793228/rush-havent-stopped-or-quit-just-relaxing

Also out in Rush`s world now is "The Studio Albums 1989-2007," a seven-disc set of Rush's albums for Atlantic Records, as well as the "Vapor Trails Remixed" set that corrects some sonic flaws Lifeson says the trio has long heard in the album. Meanwhile, he's preparing for a hiatus that includes travel and working on a new guitar model with Paul Reed Smith, and as a Rock Hall inductee Lifeson was also happy to cast a ballot for this year's nominees.

:o

Anyone have details?

jfb
11-18-2013, 01:07 PM
Sounds cool. I haven't heard anything about it, but I am really interested to see what happens given his current signature model.

phillybri
11-18-2013, 01:07 PM
Damn, he's fickle! Gibson....PRS....Gibson....PRS!

Todd_FindingMyWay
11-18-2013, 01:09 PM
OH YEAH!!!

Also in other Rush News, Clockwork Angels Tour DVD is in MOVIE THEATRES tonight...One day only.
I got notice my DVD shipped to me today.. :-)

Egads
Crap! I might have to end up with a Floyd-equipped PRS...

Todd_FindingMyWay
Damn, he's fickle! Gibson....PRS....Gibson....PRS!

Same set of magic fingers though! BLAH BLAH!

Todd_FindingMyWay
11-18-2013, 01:10 PM

I have one... ;-)

TFC
11-18-2013, 01:21 PM

Possibly. I've read interviews with him where he says he really likes the PRS trem. But of course, you can't get one of those on a Gibson. Definitely curious to see what kind of guitar it's going to be. Something like a P24 trem maybe? Singlecut?

themike
11-18-2013, 01:43 PM
It's a Singlecut CE with a piezo system, AP grade top, stained back including a stained neck, a PRS trem with an uproute and a newly reworked Chainsaw pickup in the bridge.

phillybri
11-18-2013, 01:44 PM
It's a Singlecut CE with a piezo system, AP grade top, stained back including a stained neck, a PRS trem with an uproute and a newly reworked Chainsaw pickup in the bridge.

Really? Do tell, how did you find out about this???

themike
11-18-2013, 01:45 PM
Really? Do tell, how did you find out about this???

I made it up... in my mind.... and typed it on the internet. That makes it true! :P

Also here is the updated link: http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/5793228/rush-havent-stopped-or-quit-just-relaxing

tonyvenn
11-18-2013, 02:04 PM
Hmmmmm....

I'm thinking I beat Lifeson to the punch! LOL

I'm guessing an acoustic model.

But...if he's gonna have a Signature model...given his past guitars...

A revamped CE24 with piezo...

Basically MY P22 trem specs (you're welcome Alex! LOL)....

I'm thinking...signature inlay at the 12th or 24th fret...

And NEW pickups...that'll be specially developed for the model.

This will be the big guessing game until January NAMM...

Can't wait to see how this one turns out!

Tony

Audie
11-18-2013, 02:18 PM
Hmmmm... I'm thinking P22 or P24 6 string and/or maybe 12 string solidbody. The HB12 could be going by the wayside, and with the request for a 12 string piezo, I could see that maybe happening in the "P" lineup.

megaboogie
11-18-2013, 02:25 PM
Hmmmmm....

I'm thinking I beat Lifeson to the punch! LOL

Alex must have read your thread and switched back to PRS! :)

I wonder what type of guitar it will be, if it's an electric, it will definitely have a piezo system built in.
Alex used to play CE series, so will he go back to what he was comfortable with? or maybe a singlecut trem P22?

Sage
11-18-2013, 03:38 PM
First I've heard of it, but can't wait to see it if it's true. I first got into PRS because of Lifeson. Might not be a signature, though. He might just be providing input on a limited edition like he did with the 12-string hollowbody.

If it really is a signature PRS, then my guess is if it's either an alder/maple bolt-on a la the original CE 24, or a Singlecut of some kind.

Jose
11-18-2013, 04:01 PM
or maybe a singlecut trem P22?
:adore:

_pete_
11-18-2013, 05:02 PM
Possibly. I've read interviews with him where he says he really likes the PRS trem. But of course, you can't get one of those on a Gibson. Definitely curious to see what kind of guitar it's going to be. Something like a P24 trem maybe? Singlecut?

Singlecut? Trem? Piezo?
I want it. I want it now.

I was just thinking last week if I could spec out a Private Stock, it would probably be a Tremonti with the P22 trem (with uprout), Dragon I pups, and a goldtop finish.

Hmm, since we're speculating here, how about an Alex Lifeson CE24 SE or an Alex Lifeson S2-CE24?

Edit: I noticed in the trailer for the Clockwork Angels DVD that the infamous 'Hentor Sportscaster' is right behind Alex at 1:22.

alantig
11-18-2013, 10:24 PM
OH YEAH!!!

Also in other Rush News, Clockwork Angels Tour DVD is in MOVIE THEATRES tonight...One day only.
I got notice my DVD shipped to me today.. :-)

I picked up the Blu-Ray - it looks spectacular. Only watched YYZ with the orchestra - very cool, and Alex mugs to those folks quite a bit.

Whitecat
11-19-2013, 03:21 AM
Piezo-equipped CE24 variant has gotta be the best guess. It's certainly the PRS he's most identified with.

Bill SAS 513
11-19-2013, 05:07 AM
Hot Damn...CE-Single Cut...unfinished neck (???) , single coil in the neck, 4 Humbuckers, acoustic pizza in the bridge...LOL...Either way, get him to the EXPERIENCE!!!!!

Todd_FindingMyWay
11-19-2013, 07:24 AM
Hot Damn...CE-Single Cut...unfinished neck (???) , single coil in the neck, 4 Humbuckers, acoustic pizza in the bridge...LOL...Either way, get him to the EXPERIENCE!!!!!

Not sure thats a smart move Bill...You and I may hold hands and follow him around like a couple of 12 year old Beiber fans! ;-)

alantig
11-19-2013, 07:30 PM
Not sure thats a smart move Bill...You and I may hold hands and follow him around like a couple of 12 year old Beiber fans! ;-)

I'd make it a threesome...

P.Lo
11-19-2013, 08:22 PM
I don't care what model, what colors, what appointments its has!
but...................

I WANT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sage
11-19-2013, 10:25 PM
Either way, get him to the EXPERIENCE!!!!!

Alex Lifeson at Experience PRS would pretty much guarantee me buying a ticket to Maryland.

Dancing Frog
11-19-2013, 10:59 PM
The rumor of an Alex Lifeson model has sort of been the Chupacabra of the PRS forums everywhere. Every few years it keeps popping up, but the actual guitar never appears. OTOH, I wouldn't mind if PRS did a replica of Alex's black CE-24.

Todd_FindingMyWay
11-20-2013, 07:44 AM
What do you guys think of his Gibson sig? Did I just swear?? ;-)

themike
11-20-2013, 08:15 AM
What do you guys think of his Gibson sig? Did I just swear?? ;-)

Well... if I ever had to play a Gibson I'm fairly sure that would be it. The combination of singlecut, tremolo and piezo system make it a very versatile axe.

jfb
11-20-2013, 08:21 AM
Well... if I ever had to play a Gibson I'm fairly sure that would be it. The combination of singlecut, tremolo and piezo system make it a very versatile axe.

I bet it has 7 strings.

Todd_FindingMyWay
11-20-2013, 08:44 AM
I bet it has 7 strings.
No its a 6 stringer.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Custom-Alex-Lifeson-Les-Paul-Axcess-Electric-Guitar-106521313-i1797778.gc

alantig
11-20-2013, 08:01 PM

I bet it has 7 strings.

It will. Soon.

Bill SAS 513
11-21-2013, 04:49 AM
hmmmmm...Acoustic...different Pick-up system...sssshhhhhhhh...maybe with a built-in cork screw for wine bottles.

Audie
11-21-2013, 07:27 AM
The rumor of an Alex Lifeson model has sort of been the Chupacabra of the PRS forums everywhere. Every few years it keeps popping up, but the actual guitar never appears. OTOH, I wouldn't mind if PRS did a replica of Alex's black CE-24.

You are correct to call it a rumor. All Alex said was "working with PRS on a new model". While it is a fair assumption to think of a sig model, it is a leap to take that information as more than an assumption based on the direct words from Alex. Some possibilities exist on the limited runs from this years experience with the SC trem model (maybe turned P model) and the semi hollow 408. Who knows? That is, until next year???

Since we are enjoying wishful thinking. I envision a singlecut P model with maybe 408's. Also a solidbody 12 string (again P model), or a new revision to the Hollowbody 12 string!

blaren
11-22-2013, 02:18 AM
Someone start a pool! Oops...no gambling!! How about a POLL then?
It would be "nice" if it was an S2 CE24! I think that's what the S2 line needs and should be. Well, or an opaque topped plain jane dot CU24 but that's a different thread.

Since he likes a Paul with a trem, will probably go with a piezo equipped guitar, probably isn't looking to replace his ES,.... it MUST be a singlecut P24 with a trem and push pull everything?

An alder backed, bolt-on maple necked dc sure IS his tone though. The S2 line doesn't have a signature model yet. I can't see him being the poster child for a plain bare-bones bolt-on though. Yup...HAS to be a SC with a bunch of bells and whistles. That's what the core line needs. A loaded SC signature model.
Solved!