PDA

View Full Version : First live concert?

james
05-04-2012, 06:46 PM
Feel free to show your age. I want stories!

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
05-04-2012, 07:19 PM
Alice Cooper. 1986?

Didn't know what the funny smell in the air was. The show was a blast. Lots of theater, loud guitars, and half naked women. It was everything a 13 year old kid wanted from rock-n-roll.

JMintzer
05-04-2012, 07:52 PM
Stephen Stills, Merriweather Post Pavilion, 1970...

Yeah, I'm that old (but not that old, since my dad had to drive me...)

Jamie

11top
05-04-2012, 08:03 PM
1964 Rolling Stones, Indianapolis Fair Grounds Colliseum.

However, four (or five?) years later, I saw Jimi Hendrix and The Who in two separate shows at the Muncie Fairgrounds in a very tiny venue. Hendrix lit his guitar on fire and played it with his teeth, and The Who destroyed every piece of equipment they had.

dmatthews
05-04-2012, 08:35 PM
Santana... AND Eric Clapton. 8-)
Aug 3rd 1975 at the Pacific Coliseum Vancouver, B.C.
Sitting up around 20 rows I witness this...
A somewhat "hippie" type (wasn't Tim) is down on the floor about 20 minutes before the show is to start. He strips off completely naked as the day he was born. Then... proceeds to turn cartwheels in and amongst the crowd. Yes... CARTWHEELS PEOPLE! :lol: OK... this goes on for what seems to be an elongated few minutes with the crowd egging him on of course. The security finally shows up (who expected THAT???) and proceeds to cart (wheel) him off to a new reality. The crowd was an interesting and uncomfortable mix of happy and sad about that.
:?
The music was awesome.
:lol:

sergiodeblanc
05-05-2012, 12:25 AM
85/86? Depeche Mode and O.M.D., eighth grade and I had a swooping new wave hairdo. :D

tiboy
05-05-2012, 06:01 AM
It was 1977 or 1978: a fund raising concert for former NY Knick's forward Bill Bradley who was making his first run for the Senate. Featured artists were Paul Simon and Patti Smith.

Shawn@PRS
05-05-2012, 07:40 AM

So what was yours James? You never said.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
05-05-2012, 10:01 AM
85/86? Depeche Mode and O.M.D., eighth grade and I had a swooping new wave hairdo. :D
I'll bet my wife went to a show on that tour. She still blasts DM, OMD, Xymox, Erasure, Front 242, etc.

MTrip
05-05-2012, 10:53 AM
December 1976 - Madison Square Garden. Aerosmith with opener Rick Derringer!

solacematt
05-05-2012, 11:58 AM
Lollapalooza in '96 in West Palm Beach, FL. Metallica, Soundgarden, Rage Against The Machine, The Ramones, Rancid, Psychotica. It was insane.
I really wanted to go and my parents wanted me to cut my hair, which, at that time was past my shoulders. They're reasoning was that it was going to be all day out in the mega hot sun and it would be too hot. I reasoned pulling it back, they said no, someone would pull it. Oh the reasoning of parents :roll: So I ended up getting this mega short haircut so I could see this killer line-up of bands...after the show I grew my hair back out ;)

sergiodeblanc
05-05-2012, 12:32 PM
I'll bet my wife went to a show on that tour. She still blasts DM, OMD, Xymox, Erasure, Front 242, etc.

I think most peoples wives our age went to a show on that tour! :lol: I was quite happily outnumbered by females there, in contrast my ladies first show was the Spice Girls! Yeah, she is a "little" younger than us. ;)

gag halfrunt
05-05-2012, 02:23 PM
Maynard Ferguson, 1978.

Next concert? Judas Priest.

olioli
05-05-2012, 03:23 PM
ZZ Top Eliminator tour 1983.

Not their best period but they also played lots of early songs - yeah!

WEDGE
05-05-2012, 05:25 PM
1979, I was 16. Kiss with Juda Priest opening. Amazing! Back when they had general admittance and no floor seats so I was hanging on the stage looking up at the boys!

slev
05-05-2012, 06:16 PM
ZZ Top Eliminator tour 1983.

Not their best period but they also played lots of early songs - yeah!

+1, No encore because some idiot threw fireworks on stage at the end of the show. Good stuff though, ears were ringing and I loved it.

alantig
05-06-2012, 12:38 AM
Johnny Cash, June Carter Cash, the Statler Brothers, the Carter Family and Carl Perkins. April, 1971.

Next show, and the first rock show, was July, 1979 - Kiss on the Dynasty tour, the last tour w/the original lineup (at least until the reunion).

imported_admin
05-07-2012, 07:58 AM

I believe it was Poison and Trixter on the Flesh and Blood Tour.

When you're 10 years old, it's awesome when your parents present you with tickets to a hair metal concert in an arena. It's less awesome when you realize they're going with you.

themike
05-07-2012, 09:04 AM
I got into music VERY young. My first concert experience was Metallica and it really set the tone for me - but even as a youngin' I could tell Lars' kick drums were off time :lol:

Johnny Cash, June Carter Cash, the Statler Brothers, the Carter Family and Carl Perkins. April, 1971.

Wow......just WOW. :shock: That must have been AMAZING.

Shawn@PRS
05-07-2012, 11:29 AM

I believe it was Poison and Trixter on the Flesh and Blood Tour.

When you're 10 years old, it's awesome when your parents present you with tickets to a hair metal concert in an arena. It's less awesome when you realize they're going with you.

OK, this would explain your penchant for spandex in the form of bicycle shorts! :lol:

DISTORT6
05-07-2012, 12:52 PM
AC/DC- Flick of the Switch tour. Fastway opened.

Marty Horne
05-08-2012, 12:24 PM
The Beach Boys circa '63/'64. I was a big fan (and still like 'em). It was at the New Haven Colosseum in Ct. For the past couple of decades they tour with a large backing group but this was just the Wilson brothers, Mike Love and Al Jardine. It was a great show!

Blackbird
05-09-2012, 09:21 AM
First concert was Kenny Wayne Shepherd, just saw him again in Memphis this past weekend.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
05-09-2012, 11:55 AM
First concert was Kenny Wayne Shepherd, just saw him again in Memphis this past weekend.
That guy blew my mind at the Hendrix Experience tour. prior to the show I had only heard his top 40 stuff. He's a MONSTER guitar player!

He needs a 305. How do we make that happen?

veinbuster
05-09-2012, 01:53 PM
Not many concerts came within hours of where I grew up so I think I played quite a few shows before I went to see Lighthouse in a movie theatre.

Blackbird
05-09-2012, 03:30 PM
That guy blew my mind at the Hendrix Experience tour. prior to the show I had only heard his top 40 stuff. He's a MONSTER guitar player!

He need a 305. How do we make that happen?

Phenomenal. Reminds me of John Mayer (and others) in that he really doesn't get enough credit as a guitarist because all you hear on the radio is pretty tame from a player's perspective.

Goldtop
05-09-2012, 10:42 PM
My story is actually a two-parter. I apologize in advance for the length.

My actual first live show was when I was seven or eight years old. My parents dragged me to see my uncle. Sort of. He was playing in what they described as 'some awful s**t-kicker band' in a rough, dive bar in Ft. Worth Texas. My parents intended to stop in just long enough to get some money said uncle had borrowed and promised to pay back that night. We stood at a side door of the place for maybe fifteen minutes. I stuck my head in the door and could see the side of the low stage, the steel guitar, and a couple of small combo amps that I later learned were Fenders. In the time we were there, we saw one bloody fight, several police cars responding to the call from the bar's owner, a shoving match in the parking lot, and finally left without ever having seen my uncle and/or getting the cash. To my knowledge he never did pay it back. Big surprise.

My first REAL gig of my own choosing was Willie Nelson, also in Texas. Eight thousand seat arena. I was twelve years old and my mom agreed to let me go 'alone' IF I took Bobby, my nerdy friend from school, with me 'for protection'. Yay. She bought the tickets ($6 bucks each - I still have my stub), took us and dropped us off out front, and said she'd be waiting for us when it was over.

All general admission show, and even back then I somehow just knew that the place for me was at the front of the stage. But, Bobby was a wuss, and he refused to go on the floor because he was afraid of the rowdy crowd. He also said if I went down there by myself he'd fink me out to my mom, so like an idiot I caved. We sat at the far end of the floor in this long oval hockey arena. It was in the front row of the raised, fixed seats. A clear view, but still; it m-a-y have been Willie up there, but until he opened his mouth, who could tell? They almost looked like ants on the stage from that distance. I was not happy.

Some totally unknown band opened. They were a last minute addition, and I never knew their name. I've forever thought of them as "Joe's Armpit". They stumbled out to start the show, plugged in, said howdy, hit their first chord, and nothing from the guitar... After the crowd quieted down (a little), they tried again. Still nothing. They scrambled around, checked and traded cords, plugged and unplugged, tried everything they could think of, and still no guitar. The longer it went, the louder and rowdier - and more vulgar - the crowd got. I had heard that kind of language before, but it blew Bobby's sheltered mind! His eyes looked like saucers, and he was seriously scared. He kept saying 'Maybe we should leave. We can call your mom to come get us.' I flat refused to do that. I kept trying to reassure him that it would all be okay, but he wasn't convinced.

Finally, after what seemed like twenty minutes (but probably wasn't really more than seventeen or eighteen), some guy wandered out from stage left, walked up to the guitar player's amp, looked at it a minute, then reached down and flicked a switch. BINGO! The freakin' thing had been on STANDBY the whole time!!! Even those in the crowd who had no musical knowledge whatsoever could tell that some sort of stupidity of major proportions had just been rectified, and they failed to see the humor in the situation. Beer cups flew, gimme caps flew, trash flew, cowboy hats flew, expletives flew... this crowd was drunk, high, mad, and they had waited long enough to see Willie!

Joe's Armpit didn't stand a chance. They did maybe twenty minutes, said a super-quick goodbye, and ran off the stage. Hopefully, they got in their van, or station wagon, or whatever they had, and disappeared, because they were in danger whether they realized it or not.

All of the excitement had put the fear into Bobby, so he left me sitting there and said he was going to get a Coke. Good riddance. Soon, Willie and his band came onto the stage. A few friendly waves from the band, a higher level of rowdiness from the crowd, then those opening chords, and BOOM! The gigantic Texas flag backdrop unfurled, and they blasted off into "Whisky River"! I was in heaven! That moment hooked me for life, and I've never forgotten it. I've also never gotten over it, and I don't want to. It may sound silly to those who don't get it, but in that moment my entire life fell into place. From then on, it was music above all else for me. That energy, that excitement, that... truth. Music in general, and guitars in particular - they are the reason(s) I was born.

It was a great show (I guess). In my little area some amazing things happened. For one, I was offered my first 'custom made'. I passed it on to the next guy without trying it. I was also offered my first taste of beer. I accepted that and I liked it. But the most exciting thing that happened to me and my twelve year old hormones was that an older woman ended up taking the seat by me that Bobby had vacated. She was something else! Looking back now, I guess she could best be diplomatically described as having a few miles on her. She had to have been in her late forties. She had bleached blonde hair, chipped red fingernail polish, a huge purse that looked like she had all of her worldly goods in it, ragged Levis, and a tight purple plaid western shirt. That sucker was tight too. The snaps or buttons or whatever it had were working overtime! She looked like a somewhat lower rent version of Dolly Parton. She climbed over the back of the empty seat, plopped down in it, leaned up against me and yelled in my ear 'Mind if I sit here, Honey?!?' I must have turned ten shades of red. I couldn't answer her; I couldn't find any words. Some guy sitting behind me leaned toward us and said 'H*ll no, he don't mind!' He was right. She gave me a huge grin, threw her arm around me and hugged me, pushed DR (Dolly Right) into my arm, and offered me her cup of beer. I took it. I had no choice; I needed something to get my tongue working again! She stayed there for the rest of the show, except when she left to get two more beers; one for each of us.

When the show was over and we all stood up to leave, she gave me another big hug and a smile. She kissed me on the cheek, said 'See ya next time, Honey!' and walked away. I never saw her again, and I don't remember her name, but I'll never forget her. Willie was okay, but she's the one who made my night really special.

As for Bobby, I never saw him again until the show was over. I stopped by the souvenir table to get a pin, a program (remember those?), and a bandana. When I walked out of the front doors, there he was sitting in the car talking to my mom. He said he'd only been there a couple of minutes, but she told me later on that he had been sitting out on the steps when she pulled up to get us. My mom saw the lipstick on my cheek, smelled the beer on my breath, and smelled the 'smoke' on the rest of me, and she was not pleased. It took a long time and a lot of talking before I was allowed to go to another concert. The next one was Savoy Brown, or The Doobies, or KISS, or somebody...

I'm a Texan, and I'm proud that my first gig was Willie Nelson. The fact that we were barely in the same zip code that night is beside the point! ;)

Thanks for reading my long-winded memories.

Goldtop

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
05-09-2012, 11:15 PM
GREAT POST, Goldtop!!! Thank you for sharing! :!:

Goldtop
05-10-2012, 08:01 AM
GREAT POST!!! Thank you for sharing! :!:
If you're talking to me, you're welcome. I'm sorry my writing is (A) too long winded, and (B) isn't any better. As you can probably tell, the tightness of 'Connie's' shirt still has an effect on me! Heck, it was only about forty years ago, so why wouldn't it still get to me?!? :lol: (I tend to give her the name Connie when I think of her. I hope she's had a good life...)

The impact of that one night and one show on me and my life still amazes me. Everybody noticed the change in me after that. My mom always thought it was just the smoke in the air or the beer I drank, and no matter how I tried to explain it all to her, she never got it. It was THE MUSIC.

Thanks, Goldtop

Zilmo
05-10-2012, 08:59 AM
The Who, December 1971.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y34/Zilmo/Guitars/DSC_0004-2.jpg

StevieC
05-10-2012, 03:14 PM
First live concert for me was John Denver in '77 or '78 in Hollywood Fl. at the Sportatoreum, and still one one the best concerts I've ever been to. He might have projected a goofy image on TV, but onstage was a total pro.
First full blown "rock" concert was Heart and Kansas in Greensboro, NC in '82 or '83. Heart was touring Passionworks, and John Elefonte was lead vocalist for Kansas at that time. Great show.

Goldtop
05-10-2012, 06:38 PM
The Who, December 1971.

Congratulations. That is a GREAT first gig! I'm so envious. :D The two biggies I've always wished I could have seen were Elvis in the prime of his jumpsuit era, and The Who. I'd still love to see The Who now, but the odds aren't with me.

Goldtop

Em7
05-10-2012, 08:44 PM
My first arena rock concert was Blue Oyster Cult and J. Geils at the Baltimore Civic Center in March of 1978. Horselips was also on the bill, but all of their gear was stolen the day of the show. J. Geils was the opening act. I remember being completely blown away by Blue Oyster Cult's laser light show. If recall correctly, I paid the princely sum of $7.50 for my ticket. I also recall that it was snowing fairly heavily that day.

kevphol
05-11-2012, 10:05 AM
My first was KISS in Memphis in 1976. I was 10 and still can't believe my parents let me go with another 10 yo and an 18 yo. It was general admission and a wild scene with plenty of very odd smelling smoke in the coliseum. I was hooked immediately on the music and rock fantasy which led to seeing a litany of bands in their prime and becoming a player myself. I saw KISS again in 1978 with an odd but rockin' warm-up band that carried the guitarist around through the audience on a platform during his solo. The guitarist also wore this weird schoolboy outfit and they called themselves AC/DC.

11top
05-11-2012, 02:31 PM
The Who, December 1971.

Hey Not Z,
I wonder if that was the same tour. Did they destroy everything on stage like the Muncie show?

Gemal
05-12-2012, 10:58 AM
The Doors, summer 1968 Asbury Park Convention Hall.
As a 14 year old kid, I grew up real fast after that concert.

Jester
05-12-2012, 10:36 PM
The Dead at Deer Creek in 90.

Didn't know that I should get tickets for both nights.

http://archive.org/details/gd90-07-19.d ... sbeok.shnf (http://archive.org/details/gd90-07-19.dsbd.garcia420.2177.sbeok.shnf)

docbennett
05-13-2012, 08:02 AM
I was a late bloomer.....1972....Dylan (and The Band) at MSG. The concert tour where Bic Cigarette lighters first became popular as methods of showing homage. I was a freshman in college, 17 years old, and like a prior poster....was somewhat unfamiliar with the "strange smells in the building".

Oh, how times have changed! Is it 4:20 yet??? :D

LSchefman
05-14-2012, 03:06 PM
Boston Pops at Detroit's Ford Auditorium. They played music from the movie, "Exodus."

Hey, you said, "concert," not "rock concert." ;)

My first rock show (you couldn't really call it a concert because there were no seats, and kids danced) was The Kingsmen at The Ponytail near Traverse City, northern Michigan.

I loved greaser music. ;)

docbennett
05-14-2012, 03:35 PM
The Doors, summer 1968 Asbury Park Convention Hall.
As a 14 year old kid, I grew up real fast after that concert.

Was that before, or after, the infamous concert in Miami when he got arrested for exposing himself? I'm thinking it had to be late in his career and close to his exodus to Paris when he died in the bathtub.

Oh wait...I forgot...Morrison Lives. :?:

swede71
05-14-2012, 10:09 PM
Europe in 86.Same show they used for the vid to Final countdown.I was 15 and didnt see a **** :)...was too short.But i heard one of my early heroes John Norum play some great guitar.

iounothing
05-15-2012, 04:25 PM
Blue Oyster Cult, Fall 1977. Opening acts The Dictators and Nils Lofgren.

My life was changed forever.

cgarlie
05-16-2012, 11:27 AM
1964 Rolling Stones, Indianapolis Fair Grounds Colliseum.

However, four (or five?) years later, I saw Jimi Hendrix and The Who in two separate shows at the Muncie Fairgrounds in a very tiny venue. Hendrix lit his guitar on fire and played it with his teeth, and The Who destroyed every piece of equipment they had.

'64?? You sure -- I don't think the Beatles were there until 65 -- hard to believe the Stones beat them to town.

I missed the Who (which was my favorite group) but saw Hendrix twice. First "live" event was probably the welcoming event at college (Purdue) in '64 with the Rivieras (California Sun) playing behind one of the dorms -- found out they were from South Bend!

Charlie

hippietim
05-20-2012, 01:08 AM
Kiss in 1977 at the Capital Centre in MD. Opening band was AC/DC.

Yeah, it was awesome.

gear_freak
05-20-2012, 07:04 AM
YES 1983 at Madison Square Garden. The opening act was a few Bugs Bunny cartoons. The one I remember was with the mad scientist and the ether. Come Back Here You Rabbit. :D

Another twist for this thread could be how many times have you seen a particular band.

Brian
05-23-2012, 02:55 AM
Johnny Cash w/ June Carter Cash, at a local dinner theater circa 1982.

steam-powered
05-24-2012, 10:04 AM
Well, my first concert wasn't by choice. I was a boy and my folks took me with them to see Mel Tillis. I actually enjoyed the banter in-between songs since (being a youngster) I was facinated by the fact that he didn't stutter when he sang.

The first "real" concert was the World Series of Rock (I think it was 1982, I was 12 years old): Quarterflash, 38 Special, Triumph, Loverboy, and Foreigner. Great show!!!

kkuehl
05-24-2012, 10:58 AM
October 31, 1988 Van Halen OU812 tour.

QueenCityGuitars
05-24-2012, 11:12 AM
Kiss in 1977 at the Capital Centre in MD. Opening band was AC/DC.

Yeah, it was awesome.

Nice!

KISS was my first concert as well on September 14th, 1979 with Judas Priest as the opening act. I was in the fourth grade and my parents took me to see the show. The next day I wore my concert t-shirt and brought in the tour itinerary and KISS flashlight shaped like a Zippo lighter for show-and-tell. I can still remember the pleasure I got from the appalled look on my homeroom teacher's face (Mrs. Milligan). "Your parents took you to that concert?!" Now, Dr. Milligan is the Superindendent where my kids go to school. B-)

alantig
05-24-2012, 05:00 PM
Nice!

KISS was my first concert as well on September 14th, 1979 with Judas Priest as the opening act. I was in the fourth grade and my parents took me to see the show. The next day I wore my concert t-shirt and brought in the tour itinerary and KISS flashlight shaped like a Zippo lighter for show-and-tell. I can still remember the pleasure I got from the appalled look on my homeroom teacher's face (Mrs. Milligan). "Your parents took you to that concert?!" Now, Dr. Milligan is the Superindendent where my kids go to school. B-)

Dude - you got Judas Priest? We got New England on that tour. Not that I'm complaining - I loved New England. I've owned their debut on vinyl, cassette, 8-track and CD - multiple times on cassette, in fact.

Spikedog007
05-25-2012, 07:50 AM
My first concert was also the best I have ever been to since. It was a magical night that I will never forget.

It was 1987 I think and I was 17 years old. Pink Floyd had just released Momentary Lapse of Reason and started their North American tour. Their first show in the US was at Cleveland Municipal Stadium. I drove up from Cincinati with a friend after camping out to get tickets. Walking in to the stadium a good hour before the show, you could already feel the electricty in the air. The show went on for a good 3 hours and was magical. I think part of the magic from the crowd was the pent up demand to see PF and the other part was from Floyd's pent up demand to play as a band again. They were spot on the whole night. The best moment during the show was when Gilmour started playing Wish You Were Here and about 50,000 people started singing along. It gave me chills I tell you!

As a side note, I remember if you lit up and passed it, it never came back, but not to worry someone to your right was doing the same. That went on pretty much all night. :)

John Beef
05-25-2012, 02:30 PM
I went with my parents to see John Denver when I was 6 or so. 1983? I think that sounds right.

But if you're talking bands that you love and go on your own to see, then mine was Metallica in 1991, black album tour. Same venue, Hampton Coliseum.

rschleicher
05-25-2012, 04:31 PM
My first big-time concert was a good one - Led Zeppelin at the Chicago Stadium (where the Bulls played prior to the United Center opening up next door), during their 1973 tour. I had just finished high school. I don't know if the fifth album (Houses of the Holy) was out already, or just about to come out. So they played a fair amount of that. But they also played almost all of ZoSo, most of LZ II, and lots of 1 and III. Just a great show.

Prior to that I had only gone to smaller shows of local bands, etc. But I remember that there was a summer concert series at the Dupage County Fairgrounds, probably the summer of 1972 (but I may be off by a year), where you paid $2. The venue was the 4-H exhibit hall, which was more or less like a middle-school "multi-purpose room", with the typical school stage that's raised 3 feet off of the tile floor. No seats, so you stood, or sat on the floor (if possible). That summer, for $2 a show, I saw Styx, Wishbone Ash, plus this new band that I'd never heard of, called Electric Light Orchestra. Their first real radio hit, "Roll Over Beethoven" hadn't come out yet, so I literally knew nothing about them. It was completely amazing to see a band with a violin player who wore a cape, a cello player who wore this sort of monk's outfit, and then the rest of the band looking more like rock stars (including Jeff Lynne in his gigantic afro days!) When they launched into an extended version of "In the Hall of the Mountain King" (aka the song from the "Sorcerer's Apprentice" section of Disney's Fantasia), and just kept playing faster and faster, the place went nuts!

College was when I really started going to more concerts, but that's for another thread...

Daniel
06-02-2012, 02:07 AM
Jimmy Buffett, Changes in Latitudes Tour, 1977. Our parents were fans took us. I think the Outlaws opened for him but I'm not sure. I do remember the opening act was supposed to start at 8pm with Buffett at 9 but the openers didn't show up until around 9 and Buffett didn't come out until Midnight.

AlanEek
06-07-2012, 08:51 AM
I think my sister went to that. She certianly went to Pink Floyd in 73 at Merriweather.

My first concert was Glen Campbell in the round at Painter's Mill Music Fair in 1968. I was 5!!
Then John Denver at Merriweather in 1974, and of all things, I saw Cheech and Chong at Merriweather that same year!!
Okay, I'm strolling down memory lane, why stop now..
Led Zeppelin at the Cap Centre 1977, Rush at Baltimore Civic Center 1977 (w Cheap Trick and UFO - what a lineup!)
Then the whole reason I'm here - I saw Happy The Man at the Cellar Door in 1978. Both guitar and bass guitarists were playing these weird looking guitars. Come to find they were made by local luthier Paul Reed Smith. They were these gorgeous wooden things - as most guitars would be, but the finish was just gorgeous. Later I'd meet the guitarist Stanley Whitaker (still listed as an artist on prsguitars.com) and we became fast friends. I ended up roadying for him in 1986-88. Our band opened for his band One By One.. Okay, I digress... but I love the topic!!

I'll shutup now and continue my quest for pictures of Pauls early instruments... You can see Stanley and Ricks guitars and basses on Happytheman.com and Rick's #11 Bass here! (http://www.indiefinancialnetwork.com/PRS.html)

Stephen Stills, Merriweather Post Pavilion, 1970...

Yeah, I'm that old (but not that old, since my dad had to drive me...)

Jamie

AP515
06-07-2012, 09:43 AM
It's hard to admit my "first" live concert but ok, here goes, The Commmodores 1979ish Tucson Az. I liked a girl and she had the tickets and invited me to go. The best part was the drive home (150 miles across the Az desert).

First concert I wanted to go to was 1981ish - REO Speedwagon - Hi Infidelity tour, Phx Az. They were LOUD!!!!

Best concert was probably Pink Floyd. DG amazed me with "Shine on you Crazy Diamond". The flying pig wasn't bad either.

Letrow
06-08-2012, 07:51 AM
The Dubliners in Eindhoven in 1979.

james
06-13-2012, 07:13 AM
Poison on the "Flesh and Blood" Tour. Trixter opened. Appreciated the tickets from my mom, but felt pretty uncool standing there with parents. That experience was not like the bombastic concert videos. Trixter opened. I believe I was 10 years old.

crgtr
06-13-2012, 09:20 AM
My 1st was VERY non-rock-n-roll.........The Captain & Tenille.......I know.....sad....... I was VERY young. My 1st real show was when I was 15. The Headliner was Foghat (Slow Ride was the hit), Styx (Crystal Ball) and some other band.....I think they were call LaBlanc & Carr.....Never heard of them before or after. They didn't go over very well. Bad audience.

CantankerousCarl
06-13-2012, 12:58 PM
FIRST: My friend's dad had to work, so I got dragged to Air Supply at Hersheypark Arena, think I was 9 or 10. Laser horses are cool.

FAVORITE: I never went to alot of live shows, but saw Sting for both Dream of the Blue Turtles and Nothing Like the Sun...Branford, Kenny Kirkland, Omar Hakim, Dominic...great lineup. Wish I had the appreciation for musicianship then that I have now, would have enjoyed it on a whole other level.

DRUNKEST (band not me): TIE - The Replacements (Bethlehem, PA) and The Replacements (Stone Pony Asbury Park NJ)

JDBRADSHAW
06-14-2012, 07:06 PM
KISS - 1979 Dynasty Tour.....Hampton Coliseum..Hampton,Va

rschleicher
06-18-2012, 06:03 PM
Speaking of lame concerts (someone above mentioned seeing the Captain and Tennile....), when I was in college (I think 1974), my girlfriend (now my wife) and I were prevailed upon to take her little sister to go see the Jackson 5. It was in a "theater in the round" venue in the Chicago area, with a rotating stage (Mill Run Theater, I think). I'm not certain how old Michael was - but he was basically in his early to mid-teens. LaToya was also in some of the numbers, and Janet was maybe around 8 or 9 years old, and brought out for a couple of songs.

At the time it seemed incredibly lame to me, but in retrospect, it now seems kind of cool to have seen the full Jackson 5 live. And they WERE pretty good....

Later edit - in looking at some listings of Jackson 5 tours, it was a one week engagement at the Mill Run Theater, in June of 1974. In all of their other tours, from 1970 to 1976, the J5 played larger venues, typically. In 1974 they played longer engagements at smaller theaters, often "theater in the round" venues.

dantedayjob
06-18-2012, 06:14 PM
1984, the first show of Prince's Purple Rain tour... was a great start!

cjmwrx
06-18-2012, 08:29 PM
1988 Jerry Garcia Band at Poplar Creek outside of Chicago. I had tickets, but I took some stuff in the parking lot, and never made it inside. :)

First show I went inside was the next night. Same gig, same venue. Amazing show as always.

Brian
06-18-2012, 11:42 PM
Johnny Cash with June Carter Cash, at a local dinner theater circa 1983.

dvlsadvc8t
06-22-2012, 08:31 AM
Judas Priest on the Defenders of the Faith Tour in 1984 at Charlotte Coliseum. My parents wouldn't let me go see Van Halen but didn't flinch when I wanted to see Priest. That's OK. A couple of years later I got my dad to the David Lee Roth show on the Eat Em & Smile Tour.

Probably my most memorable show was Stevie Ray Vaughan opening for Huey Lewis & The News on the Sports Tour. That's the one where I decided I wanted to learn how to play.

prsrocker1988
06-24-2012, 01:06 AM
Aerosmith in 2004 in Peoria, IL. Honkin' On Bobo tour. Cheap Trick opened. Sadly it was before I really appreciated them or played music.

Owluitar
09-22-2012, 10:19 AM
Don't laugh, but my first concert was the 2010 Vans Warped Tour lol! Showing my age...

WayneM
09-22-2012, 08:48 PM
Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels in Central Park in 1966 ( I was 15 yrs. old) and the next week (Central park) I saw Ultimate Spinach (warm up band) with Iron Butterfly.

Poffypoffa
09-22-2012, 08:48 PM
Neil Diamond, Coming To America tour. Yeah baby!

First show without parents? Beastie Boys with Murphy's Law and Fishbone. I wish I was musically sophisticated enough at the time to appreciate seeing Fishbone...

Mike Duncan
09-22-2012, 10:08 PM
15 years old, The Boathouse in Norfolk, VA - the Dead Milkmen. 1988, I think?

BostonGuitar
09-22-2012, 10:17 PM
Rush... Power Windows tour...
(though my mom dragged me to both Kenny Rogers and Neil Diamond when I was really young, she refused to let me see the KISS Dynasty tour)

CE-man
09-23-2012, 01:18 AM
Three Dog Night, Hampton Coliseum....1972?

WEDGE
09-23-2012, 05:45 AM
Kiss with Judas Priest opening......1979 Springfield, Ma. I was 16......... It was awesome!

JustRob
09-23-2012, 07:55 AM
July 1981, KIX opened, followed by Iron Maiden (pre Bruce Dicikinson) and headlined by Judas Priest. Wanted to see Styx, but they were sold out.

Hopeful Sinner
09-23-2012, 11:28 AM
May 29, 1989 Cinderella, Winger and Bulletboys... I uh, only went because my girlfriend wanted to go. Yeah, that's it, girlfriend wanted to, that's the ticket...

Boogie
09-23-2012, 12:50 PM
Boston Pops at Detroit's Ford Auditorium. They played music from the movie, "Exodus."

Hey, you said, "concert," not "rock concert." ;)

OK, that's ironic. In 1978, I wanted to see Boston in Indy. Being 14, my mother agreed as long as my father took me. When I asked him, he said "SURE!". Not believing my ears, I waited a couple more days before confirming his commitment. Again, he said "Yeah! Love the Boston Pops!". *sigh* Needless to say, I didn't see that show. But years later, we were both at summer NAMM and passed the Scholz R&D booth. I got revenge on Dad by telling that story to Gary Pihl, who laughed his a$$ off! Dad turned purple with embarrassment.

The first concert was Santana in 1979, Market Square Arena...seventh row, center/right. Too many stories to share that might be read by my kids, so let's just say, it was a life/mind altering experience. ;) THAT'S why my parents didn't let me go the year before. Smart people.

Bill SAS 513
10-04-2012, 05:16 AM
YES 1983 at Madison Square Garden. The opening act was a few Bugs Bunny cartoons. The one I remember was with the mad scientist and the ether. Come Back Here You Rabbit. :D

Another twist for this thread could be how many times have you seen a particular band.

I also saw that Yes tour (90125 tour??) that year, with Bugs and all...as far as number of times seeing a single band...Rush, 40 times...started back in Hemispheres '77-78.
Phenominal show...and lucky enough to catch Queen 6 times with Freddie. Yes, he was the best Showman I've ever seen.

Justin M
10-04-2012, 05:58 AM
My first concert was Faith No More, Metallica, and Guns n' Roses at RFK Stadium in Washington DC July 17, 1992.

docbennett
10-04-2012, 08:16 AM
First ever concert.....Bob Dylan at MSG in 1972. I was a freshman in college and had never been to a concert before. I was a slow starter. this was his tour with The Band....the tour that first popularized holding up lit lighters to show homage to the artist while waiting for the encore.

From then on, it got to be a regular event for me. One of the most memorable....Blue Oyster Cult at the New York Academy of Music....1974 New Year's Show in which Carmen and Camel opened at midnight and the Cult came on at about 3 AM. Eric Bloom's "New Year's Resolution" was to shave his beard on stage. I saw people nodding in the hallways and staircases, and needles lying around everywhere. It was "A Happening".

Eventually became a "BOC head" and saw them over 30 times.

First concert I took my "girlfriend, now my wife" to was a General Admission show in Long Island way out in Suffolk County....the "Long Island Arena" in Smithtown. J. Geils opened...Styx followed....and BOC closed...Summer of '76. I was SHOCKED when my girlfriend accepted a toke off of a stranger's hash pipe. I declined. I was so holier than thou back then. Just goes to show...late starter....never finisher!

But....the award for "Best Concert....Ever" has to be the February 1980 performance of "The Wall" by Pink Floyd at Nassau Coliseum. One of only 8 shows performed in the USA. Slightly outweighs the July 1977 "Animals/Wish You Were Here" show at MSG in which Roger Waters went nuts 5 minutes into the show after someone blew up an M-80 in the audience. he threatened to walk off the stage....cursed the audience for several minutes...and obviously sowed the seeds for his discontent leading to "The Wall".

These days....my friends ask me to join them for concerts....and I ask..."what day of the week is it". Can no longer function at work the day after I've been to a concert the night before. :biggrin: