PDA

View Full Version : What started it all?

OsirisProtocol
05-06-2012, 03:13 PM
With the new forum open and a new generation of PRS players coming into the fold I'd like to know what guitar started it all for you guys. Now I'm not looking for a particular artist you saw playing a PRSi but what particular model be it an electric, acoustic or amp that you either played or seen that helped solidified your love of these instruments?

I'll go first:
I have always been a fan of Hollowbody guitars for most of my playing life. I knew about PRS the company for a bit but I never really looked into them. One day I just happened to come across a HB Spruce model and I was smitten. Looking more into the model I found artists who played HB's in vastly different genres. I'm talking blues and jazz all the way up to aggressive metal.I then realized this is my dream guitar. I have yet to buy one yet (I need to find a way to get paid to go to college ;) ) but since then I have acquired one of the original Singlecut Trem guitars that has become my number one until I can acquire a HB of my own.

So share your stories everyone.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
05-06-2012, 03:30 PM
Vintage Yellow, Semi-Hollow, CU22 with McCarty switching.

gag halfrunt
05-06-2012, 03:58 PM
I noticed the Nuge playing a guitar that wasn't a big box Gibson long ago, but I first really noticed PRSi when I saw Tremonti playing them.

JMintzer
05-06-2012, 04:06 PM
Gibson Les Paul...

I went guitar shopping with a buddy, planning on buying a Lester.

I left w/a CU-22... Go figure...

But to my defense, it was a bit "smokey" in the guitar store... :lol:

Jamie

AP515
05-06-2012, 05:07 PM
Gibson Les Paul...

I went guitar shopping ..., planning on buying a Lester.
Jamie
Same here. I was on a trip to Phx. I had a Saturday to kill so I went to a GC to look for a Les Paul. Couldn't find one that didn't have issues. On the wall was a Emerald Green Cu24AP. It wouldn't let me leave without it. I didn't even really know what a PRS was. I only knew I loved that guitar.

dmatthews
05-06-2012, 05:20 PM
Late bloomer here... Went to a Dweezilla rock camp in late 2010 in New York.
PRS was one of the sponsors there. They had quite a few gorgeous models just sitting out to play. Open a case... jaw drop...
To some degree, I did not realize what I was looking at. I won a SE ONE there and got it signed. I love that guitar (as simple as it is). When I got home, and after playing the ONE at practice and one gig, I immediately purchased the 305 instead of a planned US Strat.
Happy happy Dave...
:D

Faded
05-06-2012, 05:26 PM
It was looking at the PRS website as a young teenager wishing I could someday afford the beautiful blue Private Stock they had in the gallery of photos. After I played a McCarty standard I was sold on the tone and though I own other guitars a PRS of some sort has been my number 1 ever since

veinbuster
05-06-2012, 05:27 PM
I had a tele and a les Paul and figured I should add a strat...until I saw a dragon.
Then I listed and saved and searched for the place I would buy from.
Ended up with a cherry flame cu22 with trem and dragon pickups.
A few months later I tried a cherry HBII on its way to MIAC (Canadian NAMM ) and by then I was hooked.

Mike Duncan
05-06-2012, 06:10 PM
"The Red Violin". I saw that movie and new that Paul was the Stradivari guitar builders - so much caring and love put into these instruments.

DGTplayer
05-06-2012, 06:31 PM
The DGT neck. Carved as though designed for my hand.

baiff
05-06-2012, 07:34 PM
Wanting a GREAT guitar instead of 3 or 4 Good guitars!!! PRS Custom 24 in McCarty Burst Quilt with covered 59/09's did it for me.

John Price
05-06-2012, 10:02 PM
Back in 1990-91..? I stumbled into my local music store and asked what was new, they directed me towards their new line. PRS guitars.... I walked out with a CE model.... I loved it so much that I came back a few weeks later to get a loaded Custom.....I'm still loving these guitars!....

vchizzle
05-06-2012, 10:48 PM
Early-mid 90's...saw a display of customs. '95 I ordered a custom 22 in whale blue.

MOBirds
05-07-2012, 08:29 AM
When I was a broke teen, I played a Ric 650 Sierra in a store. It was way beyond my price point, but I loved the neck on it.

Over the years I played a hacked together Ibanez based thing. Not sure I could call it Ibanez since I think maybe the body was all that remained from them. I sufficed, until it was stolen. Got insurance money for that far greater than the value of it (since they couldn't identify an actual Ibanez model, they decided it was a "custom" model. :D

So I went out and ordered my dream Ric... except they stopped making Sierra's. So I ordered a 370 instead. I like it, I still have it, but it wasn't as versatile as I wanted. The dream had faded, time to move on.

That started a 6 month journey trying to find a guitar that felt right more than anything else. Hanging out in a store trying to figure out what exactly it was about Fender Strats that I hate, the sales guy opened in new arrival - a Johnny Hiland sig. He said "here, try this out" and that was it, I had found the dream again - and it was called PRS.

Since sold that, loved the neck, hated the pickups and didn't want to ruin a sig by swapping them. Now have a cu-24 & p22 along with a 2 channel H. Still want a MC58, HBII, and Artist V. But dreams to come are good enough for this years budget.

David Eaton
05-07-2012, 09:28 AM
There was a 1982 Guitar Player article on this guy making guitars in my hometown. I was 14 and thought that was the coolest thing possible. Went by the shop, Paul was very nice to a 14 year old kid, got to see a doubleneck for Santana, a black guitar being made for Al DiMeola (with a black finish, but one that allowed the grain of the wood to show). I spent some time working at Ramsey Music a few blocks further down West St. (in the furniture refinish/repair area) and every now and then Paul would come by to get some piano wire, or talk to Joe Jacobs, the man in charge of the refinish/repair area. I also played a couple of PRS guitars that friends of friends owned and decided that one day I'd own one.

Bought this in 1991 at Chuck Levin's, it was leftover from a B-stock sale they had.
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj97/eaton1967/IMG_0098.jpg

I'm now waiting on PRS #8, a DGT Standard in Antique White.

There are a few other connections, high school friends who work at the factory, coworkers at the refinishing shop who played in bands with Paul, stuff like that.

RedGuitars
05-07-2012, 11:39 AM
I bought my first PRS in 1998, a Custom 22, gray/black 10 top quilt with birds and tremolo.

The quilt was unbelievable, would be private stock today.

I made a list, and that was 21 PRS's ago :shock:

I have two today, Custom 22 semi-hollow Ltd, and Signature Ltd.

themike
05-07-2012, 01:39 PM
My first PRS was a CE-22. It was war torn, abused and poorly put back together .The pickups were dead, the neck was rough due to dings and it was marked up to distract you from its gorgeous top and stain. I sold it, but didn't let that experience take away my desire for another PRS.

Years later I was able to aquire a Custom 24 10 top and well - it's been all down hill since then....

http://themikedesigns.com/Gear/IMG_0498.JPG

http://themikedesigns.com/Gear/IMG_0500.JPG

John Price
05-07-2012, 02:21 PM
This is the one that got me too!

There was a 1982 Guitar Player article on this guy making guitars in my hometown. I was 14 and thought that was the coolest thing possible. Went by the shop, Paul was very nice to a 14 year old kid, got to see a doubleneck for Santana, a black guitar being made for Al DiMeola (with a black finish, but one that allowed the grain of the wood to show). I spent some time working at Ramsey Music a few blocks further down West St. (in the furniture refinish/repair area) and every now and then Paul would come by to get some piano wire, or talk to Joe Jacobs, the man in charge of the refinish/repair area. I also played a couple of PRS guitars that friends of friends owned and decided that one day I'd own one.

Bought this in 1991 at Chuck Levin's, it was leftover from a B-stock sale they had.
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj97/eaton1967/IMG_0098.jpg

I'm now waiting on PRS #8, a DGT Standard in Antique White.

There are a few other connections, high school friends who work at the factory, coworkers at the refinishing shop who played in bands with Paul, stuff like that.

wilerty
05-08-2012, 09:22 AM
My first guitar was a Supro in 1961.

My first PRS was a used CU22 AP 20th I bought in 2007 after I tried and loved the WT neck on a Navarro I played at GC. I bought it from a member here ...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v711/wilerty/PRS%20Custom%2022/FrontFull1.jpg

Chester
05-08-2012, 10:50 AM
Interesting thread

I played a CU24 at a guitar shop when working in Holland in 1992. Ended up in NY soon after, and bought my 1st CU24 from Sam Ash. Wish I still had that one ..

Been GASSin' for PRSs ever since - had about 30 PRSs in and out over the years, and have now stabilised the harem at lucky 13 thanks to my wife's one in one out rule. Sold my Gibbos or Strats years ago, and couldn't be happier. Got all the sonic bases covered thanks to PRS

Aldwyn
05-08-2012, 03:13 PM
I had been playing Lesters for several years, but found their weight to be daunting. I was sick of swinging a 10 pound ground around my neck for hours at a time (back when I was gigging, anyway).

So I went looking for something that sounded lester like, but weighed much less. Guitar Denter guy put a McCarty in my hands. Wasnt a big fan (though years later I would become a fan!). Another guy online said "Try out a CU22." I started shopping and bought one without playing it.. the store in NJ (No longer aorund) told me I could send it back if I didnt like it, so I figured, why not?

It started a love affair. That was 2002, I believe. I have had too many PRSi come through my stables to count or remember... but I have 9 currently. Started with one little CU22.

- Aldwyn

pontaeri
05-09-2012, 01:01 AM
I picked up acoustic on a cheapie epiphone but switched to classical when a friend in college taught me to play (later I learned he's related to famous luthiery guild in Spain . . .) 5 songs. It was really moving that classical, but I always wondered about electric and I love the blues. I've hung out with bands and even sat in their practices and noodling around at music parties (everyone brings stuff in and plays no matter how good). First weapon was a heritage h150, powerful. But a tele was given to me, and I linked into that. Then came the dream. A Taylor 114, cheapie but for some reason whomever made it at Taylor really put her or his heart into it cuz it kicked arses or arsii of the 2K martins and taylors.

But fate was to change, as my church band needed / wanted a bass player and I was it. the band had one of those 'stars' a guy who started playing guitar and in 3 months he can challenge Joe S or Steve Vai (ok he's learned classical trumpet since he was a kid and has perfect pitch ears) but the guy won't or will not play lead. But I'm not great enough to play lead but I am at bass. But its cool because the guitar player can mess up and no one will hear him but if I mess up at bass :D

Then I saw a post on TGP how PRS is like Taylor of the electric world, so went with a Mira. Played one at GC but they said it was on hold for someone. Liked the playability but then realized why God had me play bass. I see tons of posts of people saying 22 is the way since they grew up fendering or gibsoning and can't adjust to playing a season of 24. But since I'm used to bass bombing, the 24 is a great fit (for some reason I can jump back on my tAYlor or classical and not flinch). Negotiating on ordering one ATM . . .

LSchefman
05-09-2012, 06:44 PM
In 1991, I was doing an ad score, and had a client over who was a guitar player. When I laid down my electric guitar part, he said he liked my playing, but asked me why I hadn't considered looking into something he called, "Tone."

I thought he meant my old '65 SG Special, didn't realize he was talking about the sans-amp type thing I was using. He was a good client, so I figured I'd better get a new guitar. I went looking for a Les Paul, like others here, and the store's owner said, "We have this new line that you really should try."

I liked it a lot better than the Gibsons in the store, and walked out with a Custom.

Also a Mesa amp.

Goldtop
05-10-2012, 11:29 AM
Back in the early to mid 80's I started seeing these writeups in music magazines about this new guy and the guitar company he had started. These were music and recording mags., not dedicated guitar mags. They usually included a small black and white picture of his guitar. Then, I began to see tiny eighth-of-a-page-sized ads in the backs of magazines, again with tiny black and white pics of a guitar, and a note at the bottom that said 'send $2.00 for brochure' or something along those lines. So I did.

In the mail I received a large folder-sized envelope with an eight page (plus center foldout) color booklet, a pricelist dated January 1st, 1985, and a list of dealers in America. Three models, and three available options. Amazing pictures. Beautiful colors and layout. The composition was incredible. This was (and still is IMO) a work of art. On the cover was a black guitar with odd stripes, controls in a line, and both phillips and standard adjustment screws on the vibrato tailpiece. THE 'Infamous' Metal.

I showed the brochure to some of the guitar players I hung around with, and to a man they hated it. 'Too showy!' 'Too fancy!' 'Waaaayyy too expensive!' And those birds? 'What is that, a guitar for chicks?' They actually laughed at it. They were ignorant and brutal, and they just didn't get it. In fact, for years I seemed to be the only one I knew of who appreciated PRS, and none of us had even heard one yet that we knew of. Where I lived then - the Texas panhandle - it was either Fender or Peavey. If you wanted to show off you had a Gibson. Beyond that, nobody cared.

There were two music stores in town, plus a tiny mom and pop or two. None of them had even heard of PRS guitars, so I ended up calling a dealer several hundred miles away in San Antonio. They wanted the full payment up front - around $1500.00 with the birds I HAD to have - and then it would be 'a long wait, probably six months at least'. I couldn't do that even if I had wanted to, so I was stuck. All I could do was wait and hope and save my pennies.

Soon after that, pictures started showing up in magazines of famous players with PRS guitars. In a Circus or Hit Parader or maybe Creem, I saw a picture of Heart. I've always thought Ann Wilson was AMAZING! That VOICE and that WRITING and that LOOK! A GODDESS! I still feel that way. But this particular picture was just of Howard and Nancy onstage somewhere. It was a bad angle and I could only see a little of the body, but it looked like Howard was holding a PRS! (I can tell you, if had been a picture of Ann holding a PRS I would have needed a doctor, but that's another story for another place and time.) :oops: :lol: Around that time, Heart and Eddie Money came through on tour. I went to the show, but my attention was all on Ann! Guitars took a bit of a backseat that night...

A few years later, I managed to find a Custom in the want ads of the paper. I bought it and had it quite a while, but I finally had to sell it when I got laid off and was out of work for over a year. It was a long time before I was finally able to get another PRS, but I had to part with it too.

So, in my rambling way here, I suppose my answer to the original question is, it was one of the very early guitars Paul made, either by himself or with a small group of people that started it all for me. The one(s) in those ads first caught my eye, then it was whatever Howard Leese had at the time. Maybe even The Golden Eagle. But I think it's important to note that it was the total of it all that made - and still makes - the difference. The woods and hardware, the workmanship, the art and colors of that first brochure, how articulate and thoughtful Paul was in those small writeups and interviews. The attention to detail every step of the way... Everything about this was different. Better. It still is in my opinion. If I could, I'd love to be able to move to Maryland and work at PRS Guitars. I think it would be an honor. (I know that may sound like I'm sucking up, but I'm speaking from the heart. Folks are free to make of it whatever they like.)

Goldtop

GroovyTubes
05-10-2012, 11:41 AM
I actually hated the PRS brand for a bit (i know, please don't smite me) because the only ones i'd played were at guitarcenter, mistreated and misused.

the only 'high end' guitars I liked were EBMM JP's.

...then I grew up :) realized the beauty and quality of a PRS

cwhenke
05-10-2012, 03:21 PM
An emerald custom on the wall in a guitar shop in St. Louis when I was in college. I took a PRS catalog and lusted after ever guitar in there. First thing I bought after graduation and had money was a PRS.

jimfisher
05-11-2012, 09:02 AM
Gibson Les Paul...

Jamie

Jamie,

That sure seems like a long time ago! Mine was a CE22 which I didn't keep long because I didn't know what a WT neck was at the time. Wonder if Carlos is still working at WMC?

Jim

JMintzer
05-11-2012, 10:33 AM
Gibson Les Paul...

Jamie

Jamie,

That sure seems like a long time ago! Mine was a CE22 which I didn't keep long because I didn't know what a WT neck was at the time. Wonder if Carlos is still working at WMC?

Jim

Fall of '99...

Yes, Carlos is still there. I helped my oldest daughter's boyfriend pick out an SE Single Cut a few months ago. Carlos gave him a great deal...

Jamie

jignant
05-18-2012, 12:03 PM
1995 and a sunburst CE22 changed my guitar life forever. Perfect weight, pickups that covered overdriven tones so well and cleaned up so nice. A tremolo that worked perfectly and a myriad of rotary induced tones. That hard rock maple neck with it's satin finish that glides behind a fretboard that felt TRULY like an extension of my hand. That was it. Took it home and it has been my number one since. PRS ARE my number one and the guitar player in me thanks PRS and company for giving me tools that let me concentrate on performance and not on gear. I am four PRS deep now days with an 07 McCarty in STRONG at number two. Nothin' says play me like a Paul Reed Smith guitar!

The un modded, gigged like crazy and never going anywhere ONE:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y93/jignant/IMG_2112.jpg

LSchefman
05-18-2012, 05:35 PM
I still remember sitting in that "Mom & Pop" shop back in 1991; of course, there was no GC in Michigan back then, and most guitar shops were small to moderate in size. The drawback, of course, was that the choices were generally fewer, but in a way, that meant you could really concentrate on a few guitars at a time. You'd visit now and again to see what they had, and when you found your match, it was a wonderful thing.

The shop I found my first (and second and third!) PRS in was called Pontiac Music and Sound. The owners were really nice folks - I'm sure that Paul would remember them (though at some point before they closed they lost their PRS contract). I remember the owner's excitement in telling me about this new line of guitars (PRS).

After playing a few of the Gibsons I originally went in to check out, the PRS felt like butter in my hand. And the sound - absolutely wonderful with a then-boutique Mesa amp. It was instant love.

Every so often I read posts on various forums talking about how much prettier or better the old ones were - I don't agree. Yes, they were nice. But memory can be a funny thing; when I look at some of my old pictures, it's easy to see that the new ones are every bit as nice in terms of wood figure, and when I listen back to some of my old recordings, I do think the new ones are improved in terms of tone -- though it's hard to beat a guitar whose wood has aged for 25 years or so, recordings let you hear back to when the guitar was new. That's not a bad thing. ;)

Anyway, forgive me for rambling. The world has changed a lot since I got started with these guitars, our tastes have evolved as players, and even the number of guitars that players often have is vastly different (people have more stuff now!).

So there are things I miss about the old days, but there's lots to really enjoy now, too.

Zilmo
05-18-2012, 06:01 PM
Howard Leese. I whacked a big hole in an '85 of his (number 152 I think) and ended up buying an '87 Custom in faded Emerald Green from him.

RickO
05-18-2012, 08:10 PM
It all started for me some 26 years ago, when an old dealer friend took me into his office to let me check out a guitar that he got from a guy named Paul Smith at 85 Summer NAMM in New Orleans. Hed just purchased a 57 Strat, and his wife informed him that one of the guitars had to go. He offered it to me, saying that he had to have what he paid for it$1,200.00. It was an original prototype of the PRS Custom. My life changed that day. I have been in love with these guitars ever since. Oh, I did buy the guitar by the way.

solacematt
05-19-2012, 10:44 PM
The first time I heard of PRS was in '98 when I saw Incubus at Ozzfest and started reading up on them afterwards. The guitarist Mike had a guitar that, to me looked like the one Slverchair's guitarist Daniel Johns used.
In 2001 my mom took me guitar shopping to Sam Ash where I was intent to buy a Gibson Black Beauty. Being a fan of Silverchair, Creed, Incubus, and Nickelback I kept eyeing the PRS guitars hanging on the wall behind the accessories counter. My mom said I should just try one out if I'm so curious. I said I didn't think I should because I couldn't afford it. I tried out a very dark black cherry standard; It kind of broke my heart so the sales person said I should apply for their card. I ended up getting approved for an amount that the sales guy said he never saw a kid my age get approved for, so I got the PRS and was a happy happy player :)

vchizzle
05-20-2012, 08:02 AM
My first PRS was a CE-22. It was war torn, abused and poorly put back together .The pickups were dead, the neck was rough due to dings and it was marked up to distract you from its gorgeous top and stain. I sold it, but didn't let that experience take away my desire for another PRS.

Years later I was able to aquire a Custom 24 10 top and well - it's been all down hill since then....

http://themikedesigns.com/Gear/IMG_0498.JPG

http://themikedesigns.com/Gear/IMG_0500.JPG
:shock: I'm in love.

goldengate06
05-21-2012, 12:27 AM
In 1994 I was in the Army and stationed at Schofield Barracks on Oahu. I took guitar lessons at Hot Licks guitar shop in Aiea. I went in for my weekly lesson and immediately my eyes locked onto a blue PRS CE3 hanging on the wall. Since I was a Soldier I knew I could never afford a new PRS guitar. Much to my surprise the shop owner said it was used. I plugged it in and immediately fell in love with the guitar. I've been a die hard PRS freak ever since. No other guitar in my collection of over twenty guitars plays like it or sounds like it. It has a wide thin neck (much thinner than the new ones) and I installed a Dragon pickup in the bridge, which sounds killer. I've played it so much in the last 18 years that I've worn the finish off of the back of the neck and had to replaced the frets twice. It is my desert island guitar. When I was in the Middle East I even had dreams about playing it. Geeky, I know, but true.

11top
05-21-2012, 07:44 AM
When the Beatles first hit the US scene around '63, I had to get a guitar. I was relentless with my mom and so we ended up at the local music shop. The choice came down to a blue metalflake Magnatone or a '63 strat.
Uh huh.............................I chose the blue metalflake. In reality, it's likely that I wouldn't still have the strat anyway.
The first new guitar I bought that I still own was purchased in 1976. I still have it:

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c395/11top/GIBSONS/LP-BLACK.jpg

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
05-21-2012, 03:43 PM
Ohhh... are we talking about what started our entire guitar obsession? Not just our PRS obsession?

In that case... a Ventura Les Paul Black Beauty copy. I miss that guitar.

docbennett
05-22-2012, 08:44 AM
Back in 2004 I finally decided that, well in advance of my 50th Birthday, I was finally going to get my dream guitar. I sold all my gear to afford a 2000 CU24, ten top, birds, amber. Got it from "Guitar Rez" and was thrilled with it.

This guitar was a game changer for me. I was finally able to coax the tones out of it that my prior instruments could not yield.

The rest is history. The 2000 CU24 is long gone. The only "production" CU24's I currently own are a couple pre-standards, a '94 Metal refinished by Larry (Paintguy) and the recent 2011Tree of Life editions in both colors. I have a lot of diversity in my collection, and they all get played regularly.

Brian
05-23-2012, 03:15 AM
Originally?

The McCarty.

Reason?

Versatility.

RJLII
05-23-2012, 09:27 AM
A year or so ago I had occasion to play a McCarty and it really changed things for me. It was perfect. I've been on a low intensity hunt for the right one since.

Last week I had one more or less fall in to my lap. A 2009 Korina Soapbar with a Brazialian board, Abalone Birds, Zhangbucker P90s, and an upgraded PRS adjustable compensating bridge. It's nearly weightless, sounds great, and is a joy to play. Love the wide/fat neck carve, although being used to Historic Les Pauls it's one of the thinner necks in my stable. All indications are I'm the fourth owner, and I can't understand why someone would let this guitar go.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8011/7258 ... f988_k.jpg (http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8011/7258618134_c736b3f988_k.jpg)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8011/7258618134_c736b3f988_k.jpg

This won't be my last PRS

rschleicher
05-25-2012, 04:09 PM
I was in a band when I was in Jr. High. My parents were kind enough to get me a 1965 Sears Silvertone (Harmony-built) guitar (model 1478, sort of a Fender Jaguar look-alike, with two De'Armond pups). It was $89.95 in the Sears catalog. Our band wasn't bad, except for some squeeky voices - we did some Doors, Animals, Beatles, a few Stones songs, Monkees, etc. After that band broke up (14-year-old version of "creative differences"....), I mostly stopped playing. But I kept the guitar, and would noodle around periodically.

Fast-forward to Christmas 2010. My wife surprises me (at the age of 55) with a month's worth of pre-paid weekly lessons, which I've been taking ever since. One year after that (Christmas 2011, basically) I find a beautiful barely-used (early 2011) CU24 at a very nice price, after concluding that I'm committed to continuing lessons, continuing to learn and improve, etc. I still have the old Silvertone, though - it can't compare, but does have its own character, not-bad tone, and sentimental value. Probably my next guitar will be an acoustic-electric of some kind.

Brad737
09-09-2012, 09:15 PM
I bought a used Whale Blue Custom 24 in 94 or 95. It was stunning. But I didn't really get along with the Wide-Thin neck, and didn't really care for the tone through my amp at the time, so I sold it fairly soon after. I didn't buy another till a gent on an amp forum gave me a KILLER deal on a 2000 Singlecut. That guitar slayed me. The Wide-Fat neck was amazing to me, and it sounded incredible. I'd have to run through my photos, but I've gone through 15 or 20 since then. I currently have 9 PRSi. My favorite is my ME1, but all of the ones currently on hand are really great instruments.

Boogie
09-09-2012, 10:29 PM
It was looking at the PRS website as a young teenager...
Sadly, there was no Internet when I was a teenager. :p

I'd followed PRSh's work since the late '80s but didn't get to play one until early '90s. My wife bought my Cu24 as a gift for me in '01.

Albrecht Smuten
09-10-2012, 04:18 AM
I know I'm not supposed mentioning particular artist, but Mikael Akerfeldt really started it for me in the time I didn't know much about electric guitars. It was like "if it's good enough for him, it's definitely good enough for me" and I just loved the shape of the head. Then they started to sell SE's where I live and the Tremonti was just the most beautiful for me. No big deal really. Shortly after they released the Akerfeldt SE, which almost caused me a heartattack (for I couldn't buy another guitar) and I was thinking of trading for it, but I was scared of the tremolo bridge for tone-keeping reason...

The model I actually AM digging above others is the upcoming seven string (3-Mike-7).

slowro
09-10-2012, 06:41 AM
I was into NuMetal and seen them constantly on TV, I was always into the HBII and Archtop and I will have one some day

I seen my CE24 on ebay years ago and fell in love with it straight away. I arranged a loan from my parents then worked my ass off to pay them back in 2 weeks. My dad took me a 310 mile round trip to pick it up and its never left my side since!

JustRob
09-10-2012, 07:19 AM
Found a friend from high school I used to jam with has been at PRS for 20+ years. He invited me to the 2011 Experience. Always loved the look of PRSi but never played one. At the Experience everyone was so nice I decided to buy a CU24. Fell in love with the feel and playability. Want to trade up to a 10 top this year, but as it gets closer I can't even narrow down which model I want.

Fox77
09-10-2012, 09:16 AM
I was a teenager in the early 90s when I first saw an ad for PRS guitars. It was a Custom 22 or 24 with birds and a gorgeous flame top in a vintage natural type finish. To this day, I think that this is the most beautiful doublecut guitar shape ever devised.

I knew I had to get one. After a 13 year break in guitar playing, I got my first PRS in 2010 and am up to 3 now, with more on the wish list :D

11top
09-10-2012, 09:30 AM
Not my first guitar, but this is my first PRS. I actually ordered two at the same time after seeing an ad in a magazine, and then checking them out at Guitars and More (RIP) in Indianapolis. I was long into figured woods, and when I saw the tops in the ad, I was hooked. I also purchased a CE natural top that is long gone at the same time I ordered this Artist II (which I still have):

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c395/11top/PRS%20ARTISTS/PRS-ARTIINAT.jpg

garrett
09-10-2012, 10:44 AM
Custom 24. It was (and is) the most bad-ass rockin' machine.

VHTStark
09-10-2012, 01:31 PM
In 2004 I played a rosewood necked McCarty and fell in love with the feel and tone. The very next day I ordered my own: a McRosie in trans black. That was my first PRS.

rocguitar
09-10-2012, 08:13 PM
First PRS in the stable.......1987 Custom 24.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm105/rocguitar/GUITAR%20PICS/SNC10148.jpg?t=1347325452

johnnyguitar
09-10-2012, 09:51 PM
Played my 1st PRS in 1985 didn't have the money so I BBQ'd chickens and ribs and sold them at a stand on Route 50 at Hebron Md Rockawalkin Rd. at the curve all summer to save enough money to buy one in 1986..all those people going to Ocean City on Saturday and coming back the other side of the highway on Sunday helped me get my 1st one..sold that one and had Paul make me a custom one in 1989 with a Gibby stoptail and sweetswitch AND tone control with the 5way wired like a 86 probably the only one ever made that way sold that one in a divorce to Rick at Garrett Park but played with it on stage around Salisbury Md for a number of years

solacematt
09-12-2012, 02:31 PM
Some really great posts here. I too find it funny how quite a few of us don't have the first one that we started with but eventually found our way back to the obsession ;)

dantedayjob
09-12-2012, 02:45 PM
'85 or '86 I was in a store in Flint, MI. One of the sales guys showed me this new guitar they just got in... a Whale Blue PRS Custom (Cu24) with birds. It was simply the best guitar I had ever had my hands on... it took me years before I was able to get one myself, but a Whale Blue Cu24 with birds is the first thing that pops into my head when someone says Paul Reed Smith

Scriptor
09-12-2012, 03:02 PM
I am really new to PRS ... just got my "first one" a few weeks ago ... here's how I got started: Went into the store intending to try out some Les Paul's ... after playing several that just did not do it for me (they just weren't comparing well to my '76 LP Dlx that my middle son has all but "kidnapped" ... :) ) ... at any rate, a guy goes to get a guitar that he "just wants me to try w/o thinking about the price" ... he puts a Custom 22 in my hand ... no contest ... wheels started turning and in a few short days I traded a Strat to make it work and took home the PRS ... now, I am already thinking about the next one ...

That's how I got started but I just don't know how I'm gonna to stop ...

QueenCityGuitars
09-12-2012, 03:06 PM
I used to teach guitar at a store called Buddy Rodger's Music and they were an early PRS dealer and the only PRS dealer in Cincinnati in the '80s. They had an '88 or '89 Custom stained gray black with bird inlays. I can still remember saying to one of the salesman, "What's with the birds?!" But the top and stain looked amazing and the guitar played and sounded like a million bucks. So, I did the only logical thing: I ordered a Jackson Soloist stained transparent black. :dontknow: When the Jackson came in, it looked like it has been stained with canned spinach. It was awful. So, they let me off the hook due to how badly it turned out and I bought a guitar Buddy's had in stock: a '90 Signature Limited stained vintage sunburst with gold hardware. I wish I still had it. :(

OsirisProtocol
09-12-2012, 06:02 PM
Loving all the stories so far. Looks like a lot of people don't have their first PRSi with myself included. Hoping to change that someday.

aristotle
09-12-2012, 11:12 PM
I went to GC to pick up strings and well.....
I always have Les Pauls and a strats to gig with, which covers things fine, so wasn't looking to pick up a PRS (the headstocks are "weird" afterall, and I'd never actually even picked one up before.)

There was some yellow-ish looking thing hanging on the wall with obviously rusty strings, and I had time to kill, so figured that I'd check it out. Knowing nothing about PRS other than hearing the name, I thought that they were all inexpensive shredder guitars. The guitar turned out to be a McCarty 25th Anniversary NF3. Didn't mean anything to me, but after playing it for a bit, I really liked it. It played great, and the NF3 pickups were a thing of their own. Single-coil-ish, but not trying to be a strat, or a P90, or whatever. A quick google on the cell phone showed that the asking price was about half of what MF and Sweetwater had it listed for. Still don't know why, but GC screws up pricing on a regular basis. So, I walked out with the set of strings that I came for (which they actually threw in) and the McCarty 25th NF3.

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k493/trmckn/McC-2.jpg

Albrecht Smuten
09-13-2012, 03:48 AM
Played my 1st PRS in 1985 didn't have the money so I BBQ'd chickens and ribs and sold them at a stand on Route 50 at Hebron Md Rockawalkin Rd. at the curve all summer to save enough money to buy one in 1986..all those people going to Ocean City on Saturday and coming back the other side of the highway on Sunday helped me get my 1st one..sold that one and had Paul make me a custom one in 1989 with a Gibby stoptail and sweetswitch AND tone control with the 5way wired like a 86 probably the only one ever made that way sold that one in a divorce to Rick at Garrett Park but played with it on stage around Salisbury Md for a number of years

This is a beautiful story, thank you, it calmed me down in the morning.

CE-man
09-13-2012, 11:02 AM
My first PRS came in 1986 when I walked in to my local music store and spotted a vintage yellow Custom 24 hanging on the wall. It caught my eye with its beautiful figured top. Pointing at it I asked the salesman " what is that"? He walked over pulled it down and said "this is a Paul Reed Smith Custom" as he handed it to me. He then led me over to a stool, sat me down and plugged the guitar into an amp. He explained to me that PRS was an up-and-coming guitar company out of Maryland. Once I sat down with it and started playing, I was blown away! The guitar played so easily and you could make it sound like a Strat or a Les Paul with the turn of a knob. I bought the guitar, it was #586. I kept it until just a few years ago. About 4 years later I found a CE-24 and it was love anew, still have that one.

MA Pete
09-13-2012, 02:44 PM
Had a Les Paul and a Jackson shredder, didn't play the Les Paul because it was so heavy and hard to play.

Went into the local music store looking to trade the Les Paul in for something, they had a Black Tremonti I and a nice brownish flame top Cu24. I thought the fit and finish and the beauty of the guitars (those birds!) were awesome. I liked Creed and Mark Tremonti, and the Tremonti was several hundred bucks less expensive, so I got that.

I enjoyed that for 7 years, not playing much. In 2008 I started playing more and in 2009 got involved with a band and started playing a lot more. 52 more PRSi since 2008, I guess you could say I like these guitars!

;)

sergiodeblanc
09-13-2012, 02:53 PM
Wow Pete, 52 since 2008? You are like the Wilt Chamberlain of PRS!

nik
09-14-2012, 09:22 PM
I bought my first ~2 months ago - SE Cu24 Whale Blue. I've had a guitar or two around for years, but have been nothing more than a campfire player as I like to call it - a handful of a chords and a bunch of old songs to wail out and call the cows home with. A few months back I decided I finally wanted to learn the instrument better so I started working through scales, exercises, etc. I've had a decent acoustic for a long time, but I never stepped up on an electric until now. I generally always attend the Dallas Guitar show every year and have briefly met Paul a few times. Seeing how much he and the other PRS folks really dig what they do I didn't feel I had any other choice IMO :D

Tim
09-15-2012, 02:07 AM
Mid 80's I was a kid growing up in Indiana..... The MJ, DLR, John Mellancamp.... Mick Mars was from the town I lived. It just seemed like moving to California and being a musician was a real idea!! Everything on the Radio and MTV was guitar!! I think it was an early 9th birthday present.... A Kay STAR-ter Series. Man, it was a piece oh sh*te!! Plywood body, chipboard fretboard.... The nut was so big it was impossible to fret an F on the high E string! $99 for the guitar, an amp, case, cable, picks, a book and a lesson. BUT it was red with a term and 1 hum bucker at the bridge...... Which meant I could put a black and white electrical tape and pretend to be Eddie!!! When I got my second guitar (which I bought back from a friend 10 years ago) I took that old Kay to pieces, unwound pick-ups and everything.... Good fun!!

Unlike many here it wasn't an early obsession with PRS... I grew up really a bolt-on guy. If I am really really honest it was the looks and the tops the turned my head and caught my eye!! I can remember Matteo Blue quilt tops being the guitar that ignited my PRS gas!! Since then I have fallen for the quality an tones.... But it was the looks that first hooked me. PRS are a thing of beauty!!

Another moment I remember was my first glimpse of a Private Stock, in Tiger Eye..... Majestic!!

docbennett
09-15-2012, 08:06 AM
I posted much earlier on the circumstances of obtaining my first PRS guitar. however, as far as how I came to find out about the company......it was during one of our family vacations in the mid 90's....we were at a Hard Rock Cafe in maybe Mexico or South Carolina...in any event, there was this 30 foot tall double-cut "stratocaster-kinda-sorta" giant guitar outside the restaurant. I had never seen that guitar before. I did my research and found out it was a giant mock-up of PRS McCarty model....I did some more research, and in 2004 I got my first one...the '00 CU24. A few hundred "Wheels and deals later" I have a pretty extensive collection and some of them actually get played once in awhile. Actually, that was the best thing I ever got out of visit to the Hard Rock.

A lot better than John Entwistle's last visit :(

docbennett
09-15-2012, 08:09 AM
.........Now everytime I plus in my Gibson it sounds too thin and bright, no soul so to speak. ..........

Selective quote from a few posts above....with the pleasant vision of seeing this post on TGP and the responses it would yield....You know....a thread entitled, "Gibson's have no soul" :proud::proud:

Dirty Bob
09-15-2012, 09:06 AM
For me it was admiring the ads in the guitar magazines that PRS ran in the early and mid 90's...one of my favorite ads shows Dickey Betts in mid solo...then seeing a wall full of them hanging in Sam Ash...couldn't get enough...played my first one through a Marshall and then a rack full of gear into Marshall power amps in the back of the store and had to have it...it was a black limited edition 1994 CE22 loaded with McCarty Pups....I was in high school...quite a stretch for me...long story short I was lucky enough to get the guitar...it was stolen from me years later. I hate thieves. I stalked eBay every day for years looking for it...missed its sale on gbase once by a couple of days...it popped up one day on Christmas Eve....I didn't think twice...I jut bought it back...didn't explain to the seller it was mine and he had stolen property....I didn't want to chance losing it again.... By this time i had built up a nice collection of PRSi...but it was my guitar and I didn't want anyone else to have it....couldn't believe it when I opened the box and there it was....life on the road had been tough on this particular guitar....sat in its case for a few more years before i was willing to let it out of my sight again....i finally got the courage to send it to Shawn and the PTC boys, Paul Miles and Mr. Bud Davis...
http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w388/DirtyMoonsRJT/DSC_0848.jpg
As you can see they brought it back to life....and then some. (thanks again guys)
Anyway ive been playing my PRSi since 1994...they are home to me. ...I am more comfortable with a PRS in my hands than just about anything.

LSchefman
09-15-2012, 11:30 AM
52 more PRSi since 2008, I guess you could say I like these guitars!

;)

Au contraire! I'd say you haven't found one you liked. If you had, you'd have kept it. ;)

After all, you're not selling them because you have to make the rent.

Maybe these new PS that you've gotten yourself into will be your keepers...

andy474x
09-15-2012, 12:10 PM
Wow, there are some great stories here! Being a young guy, my first PRS was much later... around 2006, one of my favorite artists (at the time) had started playing these cool guitars with pointy headstocks, and I couldn't figure out what they were. Finally I stumbled on PRS online, and was immediately hooked. I was in college and really broke at the time, working nights as a restaurant cook, so I scoured ebay and other sites for over a year looking for a good price on an SE Custom with a nice top. Finally found one online at Daddy's music in fall of '07, a dead mint Custom with a stop tailpiece in cherry sunburst, with a hard roadrunner case for $400. It arrived the night we were having a Halloween bash at my college house, before the party my roommates all watched as I opened the case for the first time, and we all played it a bit. All night they were taking their friends up to see "this awesome new guitar that my roommate just got!" It was really cool. I still have her, and she still plays great!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8297/7988917615_19c3689548_z.jpg

I know a lot of guys that play the Maryland guitars don't have much use or interest in the SE line, but let me tell you, it's a great thing that PRS is doing with the SE's, and young players like myself really appreciate it. They really are the Student Edition guitars, something that someone like myself, still in school (dental school now) can afford and they're still a great playing and reliable guitar. I would imagine there are a lot of players just like me getting their start on PRS this way. I'm saving my pennies in a secret stash for something with 57/08's, but when the big day comes I'm sure my trusty SE's will still have a place in my collection!

Shawn@PRS
10-10-2012, 03:30 PM
this kind of fits in here.

A new book is out in which Paul was interviewed about his first guitar. As with many of us, it was a journey for Paul when he first started playing. You can check out more here:

My First Guitar by Julia Crowe
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/gitfukintar/PRS/My1stGuitar2.jpg

nicolasrivera
10-10-2012, 03:55 PM
With the new forum open and a new generation of PRS players coming into the fold I'd like to know what guitar started it all for you guys.

It was PRS magazine adds and Santana, but mostly the adds, since a very early age i admired the beauty of PRS, Fender and Gibson guitars and i could only dream of ever owning one so i let my imagination fly looking at the magazines..... today, after a lots of great work i own one, two or more guitars of each brand i dreamed of.

JCrowe
10-22-2012, 01:27 PM
Hi, I am the author of My First Guitar: Tales of True Love and Lost Chords from 70 Legendary Musicians--to give a little teaser of Paul Reed Smith's interview for the book, he actually had many 'first' guitars from different designations! The first guitar, a second guitar, a third guitar, a 'first real guitar' and 'a first real real guitar.' He says, 'For me, it's about the journey to the real guitar. Each guitar is a learning experience.' So true...