PDA

View Full Version : Cobalt Strings

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
06-04-2012, 10:36 PM
Who's using them? What is your impression?

From the EB Literature:
"Engineered to maximize output and clarity, Ernie Ball Cobalt Slinky Guitar Strings are the latest innovation in string technology. Seeking to provide guitarists and bassists with a new voice, Cobalt strings provide an extended dynamic range, incredible harmonic response, increased low end, and crisp, clear highs.

Cobalt provides a stronger magnetic relationship between pickups and strings than any other alloy previously available. Cobalt Slinkys are also soft and silky to the touch, making string bending a breeze."

vchizzle
06-04-2012, 11:37 PM
I had them on my stripper for quite awhile. Like the tone a lot. They seemed loud and alive. They feel a kinda weird, not as smooth as "regular" strings. They seemed to last a long time. In the end, I can't see using them on many of my guitars because I change strings frequently on guitars I gig with. But maybe on some guitars I keep around the house.

cosmic_ape
06-05-2012, 12:06 AM
I put them on my jazzbox and I noticed them being clearer and louder, but I also picked a heavier gauge, so I can't really make any definitive conclusions. I will put some of my Custom 22 soon, so I can really see what the difference is...

tmac65
06-05-2012, 10:33 AM
I have them on all my guitars right now. Much fuller tone and louder. Not sure how long they last because I'm still on the first sets. They do feel different and as Slash said, "buttery." My wife says they bend easier. She was using 9s so she could bend and switched to 10s with the Cobalts.

Boogie
06-05-2012, 01:32 PM
They went on both my Cu24 and SE One immediately after their release. Gigged them both for about a month. Initial thoughts: instantly noticeable power difference...like raising the pup a couple of screw turns. The feel is different. Not 'bad' different, just different. Seemed to polish my calluses almost to a shine. I wouldn't call them brighter, but with more presence. A bit of slitting hairs there, but for the same reason I tweak presence instead of treble, sometimes...if that makes sense. Cobalts don't seem to age, even after a month of gigging and daily playing. No apparent crap accumulation, discoloration or rusting - even if I don't wipe them down after a hard gig. Over all...these are fantastic strings! The freakin' rock with the P-90.

Then I got complacent and wondered if I imagined some/most of the differences. Off went the Cobalts and back on went the D'Addario 10s on the One and 9s on the Cu24. Instant disappointment. Sounded flatter, weaker. Not wanting to waste a new set of strings, I giged them once but had to put Cobalts back on immediately. I'm hooked.

My skepticism was washed away with genuine results. The power 'thing' is real. Bolder, more powerful but not adversely so. The feel is not a biggie once you get used to it. And the life of these strings is unsurpassed, IMO. If the price comes down to 2x the price of normal strings, they will become a household name. But even at 3x premium, they are a justified upgrade that I would endorse. In fact, EB, I use both 9s and 10s. PM me for my mailing address. :p

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
06-05-2012, 04:38 PM
I just picked up a set. Now I need to decide where to try them 1st.

2011 Siggy, BRW McCarty w/ 57/08's, SAS w/ 53/10's, SCT ME w/ 59/09's, or Westy w/ uncovered 59/09's?

dmatthews
06-05-2012, 07:45 PM
What Boogie said...
I put them on my Mira and instantly noticed a nice improvement in feel and presence.
Now I'm going to put them on my 305 and the SE ONE as well. I've heard some people find a larger improvement on humbuckers than single coils. We shall see...

solacematt
06-06-2012, 11:22 AM
Just found a store that had the gauge I was looking for (12's) and look forward to putting them on my McCarty Hollowbody. I was shocked at how insistent the employees were that these were skinny top heavy bottom strings. Big difference.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
06-06-2012, 02:09 PM
Just found a store that had the gauge I was looking for (12's) and look forward to putting them on my McCarty Hollowbody. I was shocked at how insistent the employees were that these were skinny top heavy bottom strings. Big difference.Tonally or literally (string guage).

cosmic_ape
06-06-2012, 04:19 PM
I forgot to mention that this sound great when playing slide!

CAFeathers
06-06-2012, 04:56 PM
Is Ernie Ball the only one making them?

solacematt
06-06-2012, 09:05 PM
Tonally or literally (string guage).

12-54

Boogie
06-06-2012, 09:17 PM
Tonally or literally (string guage).

I wouldn't characterize Cobalts as tonally skinny top/heavy bottom at all. In fact, I had a hybrid set that I didn't like on my One. Went back to straight 10s.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
06-06-2012, 09:20 PM
Is Ernie Ball the only one making them?They're the only one's I've seen. So far...

http://cdn.ernieball.com.s3.amazonaws.com/images/home_980x527/13270013695.jpg

CantankerousCarl
06-07-2012, 08:27 AM
ClearTone makes a claim that they are louder as well...haven't used them personally, but anyone compare them?

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
06-07-2012, 11:34 AM
Here are the different versions of Cobalt strings from EB. I was surprised to see so many options.

Extra Slinky
http://cdn.ernieball.com.s3.amazonaws.com/images/product_325x325/13270870042725.png

Super Slinky
http://cdn.ernieball.com.s3.amazonaws.com/images/product_325x325/13275975832723.png

Hybrid Slinky
http://cdn.ernieball.com.s3.amazonaws.com/images/product_325x325/13270874562722.png

Regular Slinky
http://cdn.ernieball.com.s3.amazonaws.com/images/product_325x325/13270873382721.png

Skinny Top Heavy Bottom Slinky
http://cdn.ernieball.com.s3.amazonaws.com/images/product_325x325/13270871922715.png

Beefy Slinky
http://cdn.ernieball.com.s3.amazonaws.com/images/product_325x325/1333042089P02727.png

Power Slinky
http://cdn.ernieball.com.s3.amazonaws.com/images/product_325x325/13270875512720.png

Not Even Slinky (for drop tuning)
http://cdn.ernieball.com.s3.amazonaws.com/images/product_325x325/13270878602726.png

And there is a series for us Bass Player's too,
http://cdn.ernieball.com.s3.amazonaws.com/images/product_325x325/13270914942736.png

tmac65
06-07-2012, 12:40 PM
I'm using the regulars. I agree with a previous post that the tone difference is more noticable on humbuckers. Don't know that I would put them on the strat again because of the added cost.

CAFeathers
06-07-2012, 07:48 PM
I'm very curious about these so I just ordered some regular and hybrid.

francric
06-08-2012, 10:49 AM
Anything but EB........................

solacematt
06-08-2012, 12:55 PM
Not Even Slinky (for drop tuning)
http://cdn.ernieball.com.s3.amazonaws.com/images/product_325x325/13270878602726.png

Looking forward to putting these on my McCarty Hollowbody tonight :)

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
06-13-2012, 10:22 AM
Did some experimenting with Markie this weekend. We put a set on my SCT Modern Eagle with 57/08's.

My impression was that the strings created more output from the pickups. The guitar did sound like the pickups were hotter.

The strings felt a little more stiff than the nickel I usually use. Fellow forum member Russ noted that they were harder on the fretwire than nickel.

dprather
06-13-2012, 12:00 PM
I plan to experiment this weekend, the local store got one of the last two Sig's a couple weeks ago, I'm putting a set of Cobalts on mine, we should be able to A/B the two guitars with new strings on both and get a good idea of what difference the strings make on otherwise identical instruments.

dsimms
06-20-2012, 11:39 PM
As hot as the stock pickups are on my '89 PRS, I can't imagine needing higher output.

Richard Lainegard
06-21-2012, 02:23 AM
I got to try a set of 11's yesterday. First thing I noticed when taking them out of the package was how extremly slinky the wounded strings felt, almost like they were made of
string/rubber rather than metal, very odd indeed. The unwounded felt about the same as regular strings. I did notice they were more magnetic too, as they tended to stick to the pole pieces when I threaded them trough
the tailpiece. When strung up they were louder, brighter, and felt a bit "rough" in the texture. I ended up not using them though, simply because they felt way to slinky and "buzzy" on the wounded
compared with the DUnlop Heavy Core I was using.

CantankerousCarl
07-24-2012, 08:19 PM
late to the game...put some Super Slinkys (.09-.42) on my Santana SE, I like them. But ten bucks is alot to pay for a set of strings, esp. when you're used to three bucks and change in bulk. Interested to see how long they wear, but they will have to be pretty impressive to be worth three sets of D'Addarios :)

Does anyone know if the cobalt has any effect on fretwear?

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T !
07-24-2012, 08:23 PM
Does anyone know if the cobalt has any effect on fretwear?I'm guessing that it will wear your frets faster than nickel, as indicated by a little rub test done by Russ.

aduayer
07-25-2012, 08:48 AM
I am getting a few sets to try out on my guitars. I am very curious about them.

CoreyT
07-25-2012, 09:06 AM
I had the shop a few weeks back that I ordered my new SE Santana from put on 9 to 42, and I like them a lot.
So much they are going to replace the 9 to 42 Titaniums I have on my Gibson SG.

jmbeasley
11-27-2012, 02:38 PM
...Been using Ernie Ball Cobalt strings since they first appeared. Form, best strings I ever used. Great tone, last a LONG time -

-Joe Beasley, Oklahoma City

aduayer
11-27-2012, 03:20 PM
Now I have all my guitars with those strings. really like them. can't tell exactly what, but kind of they have more bass, middle and treble, more sound and volume. anyway, loving them.

CoreyT
11-27-2012, 03:25 PM
I have to agree with Slash, they feel like silk on my fingers :D
Have them on all of my guitars now.
They just seem to feel better.

Harker1440
11-27-2012, 04:52 PM
What about fret wear ???

slowro
11-27-2012, 04:56 PM
I love them
they just pop and zing that bit more to me and i like how they feel too
as for fret wear I couldn't say. As with all guitars it depends on how heavy you are with your playing i guess

Boogie
11-27-2012, 08:40 PM
I bend like a fool and have not noticed any fret wear on either guitar in the 9 months or so I've been using these strings. Even with 11s on the Cu24. IMO, it's a non-issue.

MykeWright
11-28-2012, 08:29 AM
As a fairly recent convert to Curt Mangan Nickel Wounds (which I love), has anybody tried both and can offer their comparative impressions?

Hopeful Sinner
11-28-2012, 09:24 AM
Being a pure nickel fan, I tried a set of Cobalts and didn't really care for them. Not as smooth as I prefer my strings to be on my PRSi... Probably gonna try a set on Wolfgang...

LSchefman
11-28-2012, 10:30 AM
Being a pure nickel fan, I tried a set of Cobalts and didn't really care for them. Not as smooth as I prefer my strings to be on my PRSi... Probably gonna try a set on Wolfgang...

I like the pure nickel thing, too. Nickel's got a vintage tone that I prefer, and feels good under the fingers. But then, I don't really feel the need for my pickups to sound as though they're hotter, closer to the strings, etc. I could see the cobalts working for a harder rocker.

DRM_777
12-01-2012, 03:08 AM
I've been using Ernie Ball strings for the best part of 20 years, my whole playing life essentially, I've experimented with virtually every other brand out there but none of them were as good for me as Ernie Ball.

However, as much as I love EB Strings, EB as a company really like to over hype their products and can be really arrogant about it too...... (Anyone remember "The Gamechanger"?)

So naturally I was a bit sceptical about these Cobalt strings and as per EB Marketing in general, it all sounded rather gimmicky especially when at retail price, they are more than double the cost of my regular slinkys. Though to my surprise, months later, I noticed that I was still reading and hearing about how good the the Cobalt strings were and that many people had switched to them permanently (unlike the terribly and poorly named gamechanger).

So, yesterday while placing an order for new acoustic strings, I decided to get a pair of Regular Slinky Cobalt's to try on my SE Cu24. Gonna try and get them on before my first student arrives for his lesson today and see what I think.... will post thoughts and observations when I do.

Boogeyman
12-01-2012, 07:12 AM
i was kind of disappointed in them. I thought they were too "bright" sounding with the maple top PRS's. I did notice more output, the sound was just too bright sounding for me. I was costantly tweaking my amp and pedal trying to get a more ear pleasing tone, but never found the sweet spot. I switched back to elixars and never looked back.

DRM_777
12-01-2012, 09:32 AM
Well, I restrung this morning and had about 20 minutes to play before lessons started.

My initial response is that there is definitely a tangible difference in tone clarity and output, both in a good way. They definitely seemed to enhance my metal/rock tones with no need for tweaking, and for clean tones, especially my country, I was able to use my bridge HB instead of the middle position to get a nice glassy tone where as before, using the bridge HB on it's own had been far too bright and no amount of tweaking really seemed to help.

In regards to how the strings feel, well, I love how they bend.....not that I had any issues with bending before, but the Cobalt's really make bending in general a more pleasant experience if that makes sense.

My biggest let down at this point, is the feel of the wound strings, particularly the 6th and 5th, feel kind of rough to my touch and at some points, it almost felt like my finger tips were getting a bit stuck....... though I reckon this may just require a period of adjustment to get used to them....

jfb
12-01-2012, 10:53 PM
I was going to try these but a local technician said he felt they were doing something to his frets. I don't remember what something was but it was a negative. I stayed away. I still use Elixir's. Anyone here experience anything like this?

DRM_777
12-02-2012, 05:27 AM
I was going to try these but a local technician said he felt they were doing something to his frets. I don't remember what something was but it was a negative. I stayed away. I still use Elixir's. Anyone here experience anything like this?

There is a difference between "feeling" like they are doing something and them actually doing something though..... and from the information I have read from the long term users, there have been no reports to this effect.....

DRM_777
01-03-2013, 03:31 PM
Well, I restrung this morning and had about 20 minutes to play before lessons started.

My initial response is that there is definitely a tangible difference in tone clarity and output, both in a good way. They definitely seemed to enhance my metal/rock tones with no need for tweaking, and for clean tones, especially my country, I was able to use my bridge HB instead of the middle position to get a nice glassy tone where as before, using the bridge HB on it's own had been far too bright and no amount of tweaking really seemed to help.

In regards to how the strings feel, well, I love how they bend.....not that I had any issues with bending before, but the Cobalt's really make bending in general a more pleasant experience if that makes sense.

My biggest let down at this point, is the feel of the wound strings, particularly the 6th and 5th, feel kind of rough to my touch and at some points, it almost felt like my finger tips were getting a bit stuck....... though I reckon this may just require a period of adjustment to get used to them....

So looking back at my initial response in regards to the Cobalts I notice that it was the 12th December I put a set on.

Well today, I restrung......with another set of Cobalts, but in all honesty, I didn't have to, the only reason I did was because I got Gorgomyte in the post this morning and I wanted to treat my frets/fingerboard.

If these had been regular Nickel Slinkys, I would have been changing them about now anyway, maybe even before now if I had been playing more.

However I reckon I could easily have left the Cobalts on for another week or two, possibly even more. They looked only marginally duller than when they first went on and they felt just as nice with no feeling of any tarnishing to the touch which is my personal annoyance when it comes to old strings. There was no significant lack of sound performance either.

Most definitely impressed with the results and I think Cobalts are the way forward in regards to Electric strings!

QueenCityGuitars
01-03-2013, 04:03 PM

I seem to have heard something similar. I'm an Elixir user as well and have a set of Cobalts waiting to be used but I've been leery about trying them. I'd be curious to hear if anyone has experienced issues with their frets after using Cobalts.

Boogie
01-03-2013, 09:29 PM
I seem to have heard something similar. I'm an Elixir user as well and have a set of Cobalts waiting to be used but I've been leery about trying them. I'd be curious to hear if anyone has experienced issues with their frets after using Cobalts.

No adverse issues seen on my guitars, Brian. And they've been on both for almost a year now. In all honesty, Cobalts initially seemed to wear my callouses differently than normal nickel Slinkys, but I'm used to them now and it's not an issue.

aduayer
01-04-2013, 03:19 AM
No issues with me either.

CoreyT
01-04-2013, 03:21 AM
Me either, they are on all of my guitars.

Brad737
01-04-2013, 07:04 PM
I'm trying a set on my R7 Goldtop. I like them. But here's my normal string setup. I use 9s on Fender-scale guitars, 10s on Gibson-scale, but I like the D'Addario .095 set on my PRSi. I find they give a fairly familiar feel across the various guitars. The big complaint I have is that the Cobalts don't come in the .095 gauges.

Harker1440
01-10-2013, 01:25 PM
I put a set of cobalts on at the beginning of December and played 4 shows with them as well as some practice time. The strings are very nice and slinky. Changed them last week and went back to my usual DR coated strings and WOW what a major tonal and playability difference after one show the drs had fret divots and showed a lot of wear and were not as loud as the cobalts. The cobalts never did show much wear and I could probably left them on. I restrung the siggy last night with cobalts again. I figure in the long run I will save about $100 a year on strings by using cobalts since im getting twice the string lifetime than I normally do with other strings I've used