Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hammer Of The Gods

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    Great price for an amazing looking guitar.
    I um...sold my soul...you know...plus some vital organs...for the cash.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

Quote Originally Posted by kingsleyd View Post
    Mine has real PAFs. And the guitar was built in the 1950s.

FWIW, I'm a big fan of the 57/08s. IMO they are about the best modern vintage-style humbuckers. 59/09s are right there too if you want something a little more aggressive but still in the PAF ballpark. I'm not such a big fan of the BBs, although it's been a while since I've spent any time with a guitar that had those. I liked the Classic '57s pretty well.

My standard of comparison is the PAFs in the guitar pictured above, as well as my early-60s ES-335.

Also FWIW, when PRS first introduced that two-piece bridge I thought it was kinda goofy-looking. But once I played a few guitars with that bridge I came to think they were onto something. It's a good, functional, good-sounding bit of kit. The stoptail/ABR assembly, as in my vintage Gibsons, may be a fundamental element of "that sound" but functionally they are fraught with problems.
    Well no offense intended. Id play either guitar at the drop of a hat(Love the Flametop on your LP btw). I prefer the Stoptail Wraparounds because adjusting the action is easier that way. and that they break strings less often. The Stoptail on Les' new PRS looks a bit "Blocky" to me. normally their stuff is so elegant, curvy, or whatever the word is for it. seeing the very edged, square ST just doesn't fit the guitar overall to my eyes. But I always was a Form-over-function guy. Actually thats why I chose PRS in the first place.
    PRS SE Angelus Standard w/Piezo
    PRS Santana SE (Custom 22 w/Santana Headstock Inlay)
    Fender T-Bucket 300CE Acoustic-ElectricFender Mustang I
    Quote Originally Posted by gush View Post
    I'm in the"buy all the prs guitars you can afford" camp.

I'll believe this when Les brings his new guitar down to my house, we play them side-by-side, and his guitar turns out to actually BE twice as good.
    I have a feeling that Sergio would be very entertained by sitting around with your new guitar and my old guitar, swapping licks and stories and letting the guitars tell us THEIR stories.
    Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Well, that would be huge fun. At least for the two of us and Sergio.
    Pick me the ***k up!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyboy94 View Post
    The Stoptail on Les' new PRS looks a bit "Blocky" to me. normally their stuff is so elegant, curvy, or whatever the word is for it. seeing the very edged, square ST just doesn't fit the guitar overall to my eyes. But I always was a Form-over-function guy. Actually thats why I chose PRS in the first place.
    Well, it is squared off to be sure. I have had a Stripped 58 and an SC58 with this bridge, and it turns out it's really comfortable to rest your palm on when you need to do that. Also, the shape of the bridge allows for something unusual...the string simply slips into a groove on the stoptail, and the ball end keeps it in place when the tuner is tightened. It is by far the fastest string change and it's an absolutely brilliant design!

Here's a picture showing the grooves in the bridge that you simply tuck the strings into, and the smooth surface for your palm to rest on:

A two piece bridge also means that the vibrations of the strings are transferred to the wood in four places, not two. That creates a different kind of sound than a one piece wraptail (I've had two wraptail singelcuts from PRS also).

Again, it isn't a matter of better or worse, but the tone is different and a bit more woody with the two piece bridge. I've had two of each, and the difference is consistent from guitar to guitar.

Plus...Hammer of the Gods...I mean, how can you not love that?
    Last edited by LSchefman; 07-14-2014 at 11:06 PM.

Well, it is squared off to be sure. I have had a Stripped 58 and an SC58 with this bridge, and it turns out it's really comfortable to rest your palm on when you need to do that. Also, the shape of the bridge allows for something unusual...the string simply slips into a groove on the stoptail, and the ball end keeps it in place when the tuner is tightened. It is by far the fastest string change and it's an absolutely brilliant design!

Here's a picture showing the grooves in the bridge that you simply tuck the strings into, and the smooth surface for your palm to rest on:

A two piece bridge also means that the vibrations of the strings are transferred to the wood in four places, not two. That creates a different kind of sound than a one piece wraptail (I've had two wraptail singelcuts from PRS also).

Again, it isn't a matter of better or worse, but the tone is different and a bit more woody with the two piece bridge. I've had two of each, and the difference is consistent from guitar to guitar.

Plus...Hammer of the Gods...I mean, how can you not love that?
    I think the two piece sounds woodier also. I personally think it looks great and it's so comfortable to play.

I um...sold my soul...you know...plus some vital organs...for the cash.
    If at some point you need some vital organs back I'd consider a trade! Awesome guitar! Totally jealous!

The 2-piece bridge may be a departure from he typical PRS style, but it lends something unique to the tone equation. I've been fortunate enough to play many different models with it as an option - one being a 408 - and the results were beautiful. In fact that guitar is in my top 3 of all time list. So aesthetics aside, it can really work with the right guitar. The SC, to me, is one of hose guitars.
    + '01 Custom 24 + '11 DGT Standard (Mr. Clean) + '09 SE One + Super Dallas + Stealth 2x12+

Sooo nice, Les! Congrats!

Hey, can you do me a favor? When you get it, throw some 13's on her and tune down to B standard for me. I'd love to hear it like that Thanks!
    Not like the other kids...

Congrats Les!!!! These "retro" style SC's look like the best PRS's to come out since the Sig Ltd PS run. Can't wait to hear it.
    “It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”
    ― Mark Twain

Congrats Les! I was hoping Jesse wouldn't set you straight and you, Sergio and Jesse would show up here in MD with some fine guitars.

Occasionally Onery Member CantankerousCarl's Avatar
    Les - congrats, there is no way something that stunning WON'T sound amazing Interested on hearing how / when you chose this on a project over her other impressive stablemates....
    1990, 91, 92 & 97 CE24s | 1991 CU24 | 2003 & 04 SE EG SSS | 2008 SE Semi-Hollow Soapbar
    2011 CU24 GC Throwback | 2012 Signature Limited | 2013 408 Brazilian | 2013 Paul's Guitar
    2013 Hollowbody II | 2013 CU24 Swamp Ash Limited | 2013 XPRS 408 Semi-Hollow
    2013 S2 Mira | 2013 CU24 | 2014 CU24 Semi-Hollow

Quote Originally Posted by DISTORT6 View Post
    When you get it, throw some 13's on her and tune down to B standard for me. I'd love to hear it like that Thanks!
    Oh, it's coming to me set up that way.

Not really.

Quote Originally Posted by CantankerousCarl View Post
    Les - congrats, there is no way something that stunning WON'T sound amazing Interested on hearing how / when you chose this on a project over her other impressive stablemates....
    Well...uhm....er...something had to give in order to get into this thing.

So the choice will be pretty straightforward. The HOTG for traditional 'bucker sounds, and the 408 for other stuff. That's all I'll be rolling with for now. A couple of great guitars are all I usually have. Sometimes I only have one!
    Last edited by LSchefman; 07-15-2014 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyT View Post
    Les, that is a very nice hammer indeed.
    Now you need an Archon to go with that hammer, and you will "nail" the perfect tones
    Hah!

With the HXDA and the DG30, I'm pretty well amped.

I see the Archon as something for later if the right project was to come in.

So about the paisley case...

For sessions at other studios, I'm not real sure about walking in with such a fancy case. Might have to use something just a little more low-key for those occasions...

A Michigan-Maryland get-together is in order!

I feel the same way about The Returned!
    Very tasty! But, if that yummy delicate morsel finds it's way to St. Louis… I need to see it too!
    ~ Matt

PRS Custom 22 | PRS Stripped 58 | Jackson Soloist XL | HXDA Head and 2x12 Stealth Cab

Those are really, really, nice pieces!

For sessions at other studios, I'm not real sure about walking in with such a fancy case. Might have to use something just a little more low-key for those occasions...
    Funny case story: I love the paisley cases, but I pretty much always bring my PRSi to gigs in gig bags. I had that gig at the Blues & BBQ festival last Friday and, for whatever reason, I decided to bring my KingsleyDGT in its brown leather PS case instead of my good PRS gig bag. Probably because I knew my gear and I would be schlepped between my car and the stage on a golf cart. I've known things to fall off of golf carts. Anyway, I'm onstage getting guitars out of cases, and when I go to pop the right latch on the KDGT case, it's locked. What? I NEVER lock them!!! I never even set a combination or remove the red plastic keeper (if there is one). WTF?!?!??

So I dial what I presume to be the default combination, 000, and no luck. Then I notice the left side unlocks on 382, so I try that. No luck. 383? No. Oh, COME ON!!!

Meanwhile, here I am onstage at a large outdoor festival; at least we were the first band on so there wasn't THAT big a crowd to watch this whole scene go down. My band-mates are having a good chuckle, though, you can be sure.

I ended up resorting to the screwdriver method. Chewed up the clasp pretty good, but it works and now I know the combination, because I set it.

Moral of the story? Use the damn gig bag.
    Last edited by kingsleyd; 07-15-2014 at 01:24 PM.

Oh dont get me wrong. I love the guitar as a whole. The Bridge just kind of threw me off. Its a PRS. I know its gonna sound heavenly. and the grooves on the ST certainly are useful.And agreed. Hammer of The Gods....Mjolnir even pales in comparison. I just wish the ST was prettier.
    PRS SE Angelus Standard w/Piezo
    PRS Santana SE (Custom 22 w/Santana Headstock Inlay)
    Fender T-Bucket 300CE Acoustic-ElectricFender Mustang I
    Quote Originally Posted by gush View Post
    I'm in the"buy all the prs guitars you can afford" camp.

I have a pile of SE gig bags that smell like smoke and one-night stands if you need one.